/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK : Tuition Fees

yas2010
05-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Salaam /Peace

I work in the HE sector and i am just wondering whether any members have or will be affected by the huge hike in tuition fees?

What Halal alternatives are there to funding a degree in the UK?

Waslaam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
05-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Salaam,

London University External

^ I'm planning to study Economics. It is much cheaper but no much help is available.

Salahudeen
05-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Alhamdulilah it's my final year next year so I won't be affected, I often wonder though, if I was affected by the rise in fee's would I have still gone to university, I think not.

SlaveOfGod
05-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm going to be affected >.> I'm just praying the Coalition splits before that...

The Lib Dems promised to vote against a rise in tuition fees and Clegg & Co. voted for it, I'm surprised people believed them...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
05-11-2011, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SlaveOfGod
I'm going to be affected >.> I'm just praying the Coalition splits before that...

The Lib Dems promised to vote against a rise in tuition fees and Clegg & Co. voted for it, I'm surprised people believed them...
Salaam,

You can always do a different course, get a job (which will be VERY hard right now), save up and then do a degree? :/ Consider University of London External Programmes. It is not that bad and some of the Economics and Finance subjects have the same course content from London School of Economics and Political Science...though you will have to be comfortable studying all by yourself. No funding is available I think but it is not that expensive...

The good news is...no debt. ^_^

Then again, it depends on what you want to study...

Cabdullahi
05-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Brother yas...help us out...we cannot pay the tuition anymore...

its either we buy food or go uni....we cannot have both if we just eat food we'll become dumb and if we just go uni we'll become skinny

we want to be clever, plump and cute.

yas2010
05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Salaam Br quietone, I'm sister Yas :)

I think the advice brother Guestfellow is very good. I was very fortunate as i didnt pay any tuition fees, I lived at home and worked evenings and weekends.
i took a year out and saved for my MSc.

A friend of mine finished her A levels and did her degree part-time over a number of years but she worked in a junior role in a company that promoted her and after 15 years left as Senior Project Mgr. Good job but NO debt. Hard but achieveable.

only my humble experiences/ suggestions :)

Cabdullahi
05-11-2011, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yas2010
Salaam Br quietone, I'm sister Yas :)

Oh, I beg your pardon...the purple colour made it obvious but despite that i made a dumb mistake....maybe i need to pay extra tuition fee

Reflections
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I've gone back to (secular) education after quite a while..I will finish what I am currently studying by next year inshaAllah..however I do not think I will go further than that..far too expensive..I can't afford going to Uni

Salahudeen
05-11-2011, 11:40 PM
To be honest, with uni all you're paying for is the certificate saying you have a degree, as far as the material goes, you can purchase the books your self and learn but you won't have a certificate saying you have a degree that's the only difference. Oh and lectures. In my uni, all they do is teach according to a book, the curriculam is a book that I could have purchased without even going to university.

If anyone is thinking about doing my degree let me know, and I will tell you the books they teach from, you can save yourself 9k :D

GuestFellow
05-12-2011, 09:14 AM
^ ...That's expensive... O_O

yas2010
05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
It seems like other aspects of Public Services in the UK the Con-Dem coalition are hell-bent on aggressively dessimating the infrastructure of an excellent system. Many of those MPs that voted for the fee hike are receipents of full grants and zero fees. No Hypocrisy there then ;)

There are alternatives: has anyone considered studying in the EU? many countries dont charge fees and the courses are in english?
Studying at University/ University college near home?

SlaveOfGod
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Salaam,

You can always do a different course, get a job (which will be VERY hard right now), save up and then do a degree? :/ Consider University of London External Programmes. It is not that bad and some of the Economics and Finance subjects have the same course content from London School of Economics and Political Science...though you will have to be comfortable studying all by yourself. No funding is available I think but it is not that expensive...

The good news is...no debt. ^_^

Then again, it depends on what you want to study...
:wa:

Jzk for the link bro, but I want to go into medicine which is already long enough as it is >.< and I couldn't find any medicine courses on the link. But once again Jzk akhi :D

format_quote Originally Posted by yas2010
There are alternatives: has anyone considered studying in the EU? many countries dont charge fees and the courses are in english? Studying at University/ University college near home?
I thought about it... but wouldn't the costs of food, housing etc. work out the same? And are the universities abroad actually looked up upon?

Meh better off just working through the ranks of KFC now :/

GuestFellow
05-12-2011, 01:47 PM

Jzk for the link bro, but I want to go into medicine which is already long enough as it is >.< and I couldn't find any medicine courses on the link. But once again Jzk akhi :D
:sl:

Then you need to go University. Always have a backup plan...

Hannah.
05-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I'll be affected too. But the uni I'll be going to is near my house so I don't have to spend a considerate amount of money on accommodation/food etc. I envy the days when my dad used to go to uni.. no tuition fees no nothing.. and they would pay YOU for your study/accommodation. How times have changed :/ :/

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
To be honest, with uni all you're paying for is the certificate saying you have a degree, as far as the material goes, you can purchase the books your self and learn but you won't have a certificate saying you have a degree that's the only difference. Oh and lectures. In my uni, all they do is teach according to a book, the curriculam is a book that I could have purchased without even going to university.

If anyone is thinking about doing my degree let me know, and I will tell you the books they teach from, you can save yourself 9k :D
Can you tell me which books they teach you? :)

Maryan0
05-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Degrees are increasingly important in this day and age unless you plan on going into a business profession, the skilled trades or taking the bar after studying on your own to become a lawyer, you would do well to get one. I agree with bro Salahudeen that you can just study the textbooks but at the same time I can read as much textbooks as I like but that won't necessarily translate into a degree or getting into the profession that I want. It may be just a piece of paper but it's a piece of paper you will be including in your resume and I don't think putting I read the textbooks on your resume will be of much benefit.
I think you get grants and bursaries as part of the tuition (at least we do where I live) so saving those up as well as working will help to pay back those loans and I think interest doesnt accrue on student loans until after graduation either.
Salam

Salahudeen
05-12-2011, 11:13 PM
I would advise anyone going to university to read up on their subject well before hand. Then you won't be over whelmed and feel lost when you actually go there.

GuestFellow
05-12-2011, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maryan0
Degrees are increasingly important in this day and age unless you plan on going into a business profession, the skilled trades or taking the bar after studying on your own to become a lawyer, you would do well to get one. I agree with bro Salahudeen that you can just study the textbooks but at the same time I can read as much textbooks as I like but that won't necessarily translate into a degree or getting into the profession that I want. It may be just a piece of paper but it's a piece of paper you will be including in your resume and I don't think putting I read the textbooks on your resume will be of much benefit.
I think you get grants and bursaries as part of the tuition (at least we do where I live) so saving those up as well as working will help to pay back those loans and I think interest doesnt accrue on student loans until after graduation either.
Salam
Salaam,

I think experience is far more important than a degree...well actually many employers think this lol. I think experience is the most frustrating requirement to fulfill! Then again, it depends on what you want to do in the future.

Maryan0
05-12-2011, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Salaam,

I think experience is far more important than a degree...well actually many employers think this lol. I think experience is the most frustrating requirement to fulfill! Then again, it depends on what you want to do in the future.
Experience is important and you can't get experience without a job and no one will give you a job without experience...it is very frustrating. I've noticed a lot of employers only look for people with degrees no matter what the degree is and many people who have been with a company for years tend to be replaced or receive lower pay than those with degrees who are new, but I agree that it depends on what occupation you want to get into.
Salam

SlaveOfGod
05-13-2011, 03:40 PM

^ Yeahh its an awkward cycle but wouldn't the most common thing be to start of as a volunteer and build yourself up?

GuestFellow
05-13-2011, 03:50 PM

^ Yeahh its an awkward cycle but wouldn't the most common thing be to start of as a volunteer and build yourself up?

Some employers prefer to employ those who are already working. :hmm: It does depend on the job, volunteering does help, but it is a slow process. For some jobs, it is who you know, not what you know.

For example, when I was at college, students in my law and practice class were having a tough time finding a job. One girl was working at Human Resources Department because her mom was a Human Resources Manager. She then managed to get a job in a Probate Department. In order to get a law job in the current economics mess, you need experience, probably 2-3 years, minimum is 6 months. She is clueless when it comes to Wills and Probate, she has never studied the subject. She got in because, a friend helped her. Apparently, she met this "friend" in a pub who was working at the department.

Maryan0
05-13-2011, 08:53 PM

It would definitely help. Volunteering, doing internships try to do it all if you're going to uni. There are resources at the university to help. A lot of people don't bother with this is while they're studying and later find it too hard to find jobs because they don't have any experience volunteering or otherwise.
Salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!