/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A NT Jesus Quote.

UnknownTruth
05-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi there,

As I am learning about Islam, I understand that Muslims believe some of Jesus' sayings.
May I ask anyone who feels comfortable answering, what you think about this -

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.” - Matthew 10:34-39

Do you believe he actually said this, or it has been mis-quoted and/or altered? If this is true, I find it hard to grasp that the 10 commandments say "honour your father and your mother" and then Jesus (apparantly) sais this? What do you think people?

Thank you for reading, peace.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DonTheWise
05-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Greetings,

Jehovah wants you to put your love for him above all others. For without Jehovah there is nothing. I beleive that is how Christians will answer you if you ask them to interpret this excerpt.

"We must distinguish between the purpose of Christ's coming to earth and the result of it. His design was to bring peace - peace with God for unbelievers ( Rom 5:1 ) and eventually, the peace of God for believers ( Phil 4:7 ). However, the immediate consequence of Christ's coming was to divide those who were fro Him and those who were against Him - the children of God from children of this world. But, just as goal of an amputation is to relieve the pain, so the immediate effect is to inflict pain. Likewise, Christ's ultimate mission is to bring peace both to the human heart and to earth. Nonetheless, the immediate effect of His message was to divide those in the kingdom of God from those in the kingdom of Satan."

Bear in mind, this is not my understanding. It is from a christian's point of view. I know you asked for a muslim's but I am just clarifying what the Christians beleive.

To be honest I think that the excerpt you mentioned is legitimate.

Hope this helped :)

Don.

UnknownTruth
07-06-2011, 05:18 AM
You certainly helped. Thank you

Ramadhan
07-06-2011, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by UnknownTruth
As I am learning about Islam, I understand that Muslims believe some of Jesus' sayings. May I ask anyone who feels comfortable answering, what you think about this - “Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.” - Matthew 10:34-39 Do you believe he actually said this, or it has been mis-quoted and/or altered? If this is true, I find it hard to grasp that the 10 commandments say "honour your father and your mother" and then Jesus (apparantly) sais this? What do you think people?
All we know about Jesus (pbuh) is what we learn from the Qur'an and ahadeeth. So if there are passages or verses in the bible about Jesus (p) or his speech that clearly against what is explained in the Qur'an and ahadeeth then they must be false. Even then, we don't know which parts of the gospels which are still true because there is no way to assert the authenticity of each verses.
As for the above saying, I don't know if it were authentic. Because there was no meticulous record keeping of jesus sayings and actions and when and what context etc, it is just not possible to tell if it is authentic. However there are Jesus' sayings which is still clearly preserved because it is confirmed in the Qur'an, such God is one, our Lord or something similar to it.

format_quote Originally Posted by DonTheWise
To be honest I think that the excerpt you mentioned is legitimate.
What is your proof and evidence to say that the excerpt is Jesus' authentic saying?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
May Ayob
07-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Salaam

No I do not believe that Christ PBUH has ever said this , Also how does that make sense I read a time ago that if someone ever insulted their Parents (May God forbid) then their is death penalty :/

Anyway, This is not What a Prophet of God would say as it is clearly against the Divine teachings and also this totally contradict with God's Ten commandments.

This is Qur'an Says this:
"He ['Iesa (Jesus)] said: Verily! I am a slave of Allâh, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet;"
"And He has made me blessed wheresoever I be, and has enjoined on me Salât (prayer), and Zakât, as long as I live."
"And dutiful to my mother, and made me not arrogant, unblest. :)
"And Salâm (peace) be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!"
Such is 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). (it is) a statement of truth, about which they doubt (or dispute).

Sounds better to me , I don't think that any self-less man or woman would say what is in this verse you posted let alone a Prophet of God.

Salaam

Mungling
07-06-2011, 09:43 PM
As an alternate (unasked for) Christian interpretation, I have heard it said that Jesus is speaking in hyperbole. In this line of reasoning, I have heard it said that the passage means unless we put God first, we will be unworthy of entering into Heaven. Jesus does not mean we literally have to hate our mother and father, although He does require that we place Jesus first in our lives. As I understand it, placing God before all other concerns is not contradictory to Islam. Consequently, using this interpretation of scripture an the explanation given by Ramadhan, it would seem that Muslims would have no way of saying that it is true (but they would not be able to dismiss this quote out of hand). That is my understanding of the situation.

Who Am I?
07-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Actually, Jesus may have said something like that, and I will explain what I mean.

The Qu'ran says to honor our parents in all things, except for when they try to turn us away from our deen. That is what I am facing now in my own life. My parents are not Muslim, and I have not told them yet that I am Muslim, but they may try to turn me away from Islam when I do tell them. Now I already know that I should not follow them if they tell me to reject Islam. I would in effect be disobeying my parents, which is contrary to the teachings of Islam, but in this case, I would be following Allah, my Heavenly Father, over my earthly father.

I think Jesus is saying something similar here, that we should follow his teachings and thus follow God even when our own family tries to turn us away from that. That is what he means by "bringing the sword". Not a literal sword as in murder and war, but conflict between family members. Religion has divided many families, and it will continue to do so.

DippedinJannah
07-06-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't believe Jesus ever said this, either. We do not believe the original Injeel (the book given to Jesus) survived. What you see in the NT are later corruptions.

In the NT, Jesus at one point says " if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” (Luke 22:36) There are all sorts of violent messages in the NT...a point I like to bring up when people start quoting the Quran's sword verses ;D

May Ayob
07-07-2011, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mungling
As an alternate (unasked for) Christian interpretation, I have heard it said that Jesus is speaking in hyperbole. In this line of reasoning, I have heard it said that the passage means unless we put God first, we will be unworthy of entering into Heaven. Jesus does not mean we literally have to hate our mother and father, although He does require that we place Jesus first in our lives. As I understand it, placing God before all other concerns is not contradictory to Islam. Consequently, using this interpretation of scripture an the explanation given by Ramadhan, it would seem that Muslims would have no way of saying that it is true (but they would not be able to dismiss this quote out of hand). That is my understanding of the situation.

Peace be to you

May be what you and brother King of Nines have said are True
But it is still confusing to me at that time did people use idioms to explain their message??
But why would "he" say do not think that I have came to bring peace on earth and especially the sword think?
There is another similar verse in the book Deumetry that says Go in the village kill every man woman and child burn everything down. That is what I have understood
I always thought these verses are what encouraged the Crusaders to do what they have done..
But maybe they have another meaning

God knows best

Peace be with you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!