/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I did it :D

elina
05-15-2011, 12:40 PM
assalamu alaikum

I hope its okay to post about what for me is a big step.

Some of you will know I have been having trouble wearing proper hijab. I started off wearing a loose scarf and felt suffocated if I tried hijab, also I was finding it really hard to cover my fringe (no idea why, it just felt really strange) so over the months I have just worn scarf and tried and tried to wear proper hijab. After a while I found myself pulling my scarf tighter and tighter around my face but still my fringe poked out. This has been a really big issue for me..... I just couldn't wear it properly. I have been in tears or verging on tears many times over it, mainly frustration as I wanted to wear it but couldn't.

So, yesterday I went to town and as I was putting on my scarf I decided it looked 'funny' no matter what I did or which scarf I tried, none of them looked right. After ages I realised.... it was my fringe!! It looked silly lol .... so I put on my under bonnet then my scarf. That looked right :) ( I cover my hair properly when I do salat, just not outside) I didnt have time to let my lack of confidence take over as I had faffed about so much I was running late. I was halfway to the bus stop about 3 minutes away when I had this fantastic feeling :) I felt sooooooo confident, soooo happy and sooooo protected. Within a few minutes I didnt even feel it on my head, it was like I had worn it all my life. .....Alhamdulillah

I got home and actually laughed at myself..... I couldn't believe I had spent all those months worrying about not wearing it because of not being able to wear it (if that makes sense lol) I have just been to the local shop and didn't even think to just put a loose scarf on..... I tied hijab (okay so it was maybe one of the messiest hijabs I have ever seen) but yayyyy .... I did it :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
05-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Alhamdulillah

Jazakallah for sharing this with us, it is another source of inspiration and motivation for me especially, not that I intend on wearing hijab lol but to fulfill obligations as a muslim regardless of consequences/awkwardness/comfort etc.

and congrats on your beautiful day!

elina
05-15-2011, 12:57 PM
thanks brother naidamar..... one of the best things is I know that I will never just go out with just scarf on again.... it will always be proper hijab from now on :)

al yunan
05-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Walaikum assalam sister elina,

Gongratulations, I guess your mind got a lesson from your heart.

Masalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
05-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam sister,

Masha'Allaah, that is really good to hear. Remember that the harder it is to do a good deed, the greater is the reward.

May Allaah (swt) give us all the strength to fulfil His commands and keep us steadfast, Aameen.

Muhaba
05-15-2011, 01:30 PM
i am very happy for you! wearing hijab really gives us a great feeling and protects us from a lot of things, i think one of them is feeling lonely. i think those walking around nearly naked must feel awful. they always seem upset, longing for attention that they may not always get.

Cabdullahi
05-15-2011, 01:49 PM
What a triumph!! reminds me of the day i perfected my Hijab

masha'Allah

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Wa Alaaykum As'salaam uktee..

I am really happy for you, your story reminds me of my days when i was struggling to wear my Hijaab for a sort of long-ish time also but Alhamdulilaah i made it one day..

Remember for the good intention of wearing the Hijaab, only Allaah is aware of that and he is pleased with you so he will reward you dear uktee! so only Allaah is to judge especially for your doing it for his sake.

I pray that Allaah SWT makes all your hardships easy for you and reward you greatly with his blessings and grant you happiness in both this life and the hereafter Aameen..

Ramadhan
05-15-2011, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thequietone
What a triumph!! reminds me of the day i perfected my Hijab masha'Allah
:skeleton:

And all this time we thought you were a man!
Shall we put immediate ban for you from accessing the brothers section and give you access to the sisters section instead?

peace_maker
05-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow, that's really nice.:)
I know exactly how big this problem is.(trust me)

Good to know, everything's going your way.

elina
05-15-2011, 03:34 PM
thanks everyone and lol at thequietone and naidmar

Ghazalah
05-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Awww this made me smile! It's great to hear mashAllah! Thank Allah he has guided you! Great news!

Cabdullahi
05-15-2011, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

:skeleton:

And all this time we thought you were a man!
Shall we put immediate ban for you from accessing the brothers section and give you access to the sisters section instead?

they don't have male hijab in Indonesia?

Ansariyah
05-15-2011, 05:07 PM
MashaAllah, I'm happy that you did it. Allahu Akbar!=)

May Allah keep you on the straight path ameen,.

Ramadhan
05-15-2011, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thequietone
they don't have male hijab in Indonesia?

oops sorry, I thought you were joking; Bro, it is so hard to tell when you are being serious or joking.

We don't have male hijab but traditionally indonesian muslim men wear "kopiah/kopyah" which is like topi.

Haya emaan
05-15-2011, 05:57 PM
walaikum assalam..
MASHALLAH.. sis may Allah reward you for all the struggle you have made for your hijab..:)

elina
05-16-2011, 08:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
oops sorry, I thought you were joking; Bro, it is so hard to tell when you are being serious or joking.
same here...sorry

thanks sis ghazalah and yanoorah and mun :) sorry for quick reply im running late for work :(

May Ayob
05-16-2011, 01:35 PM
That's great news sister, i'm happy for you, i think hijab gives women privacy and builds her confidence. At first it may be hard especially if you're living in the west, but i used to live in Canada and i think people there have higher religous awareness and they respected that , but i think it's very hard to wear it in europe , May God help and protect all our sisters in islam and humanity as well :)

Amanda
05-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Masha'Allaah Sister! I hope that one day I will have the strength to embrace hijab just as you did... your story is an inspiration to women who are still struggling with making the decision to wear hijab.

elina
05-17-2011, 07:56 AM
thanks sisters may and amanda........ ah its nice there's respect in canada..... i had 2 women push past me muttering under their breath at me (wont repeat what they said as if i took out the swearing i would be left with ...stupid....english.....muslim <rollseyes> amanda may Allah (swt) make it easy for you :)

Samiro
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
MashaAllah. Im not even a woman and this is inspirational for me.

elina
05-20-2011, 07:58 AM
thanks brother Samiro :)

missy
05-20-2011, 01:42 PM
:sl:
MasahAllah!!
Love your efforts sista <3
May Allah SWT Reward you and keep you steadfast in Deen. Ameen

elina
05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
salam sis and thanks :) It was so quick and easy to get used to :)

Riana17
05-23-2011, 10:06 AM
SALAM

for some people they might think that it is easy, but i salute you for the courage in reaching this step

elina
05-23-2011, 10:56 AM
salam andrea and thank you :)

rose17
05-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Congratulations sister... you made it.. insha allah, allah give us the strenght to all of us to wear hijab properly one day!!!

-Elle-
05-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I had this fantastic feeling I felt sooooooo confident, soooo happy and sooooo protected. Within a few minutes I didnt even feel it on my head, it was like I had worn it all my life. .....Alhamdulillah
awh mashAllah, Alf Mabrouk (1000 congrats..lol), I'm proud of you and I don't even know you:) Such an inspirational (and cute!) story, inshAllah it will always be easy for you to wear it, and to fulfill all of your Islamic responsibilities ;)

Cabdullahi
05-24-2011, 09:42 AM
i did it part 2 is coming up insha'Allah, this time round sister elina goes to the masjid for the first time and has a wonderful time.

elina
05-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks sister rose....may Allah (swt) make it easy for you all :)

thanks to you too sister houda...... lol i scrolled up to see who alf mabrouk was...doh! I don't think I would go anywhere now without it on now :)

salam thequietone..... i can't wait for that one....i think it should have been this weekend but i have to work :( but i think they have a sisters circle every month, i might try that first :)

Who Am I?
05-26-2011, 08:28 PM
I have to admit that one of the issues I used to have with Islam was the hijab. I always viewed it as a symbol of oppression of women (which is the typically American view). There are a few Muslims around here and I always thought it odd whenever I would see a woman with a hijab and robes walking around the mall. "Oh, look at this guy, making his wife cover herself out of insecurity and jealousy." :raging:

But after being here for a few days, I understand why it is necessary. I even told my friends a few weeks ago (before I was considering Islam) that I wished I could make myself from being distracted by women. I considered joining a singles group at a local church, but I feel like it would keep me from doing what I am trying to do right now. I don't need to pick a religion/church to meet women. I've done that before and it didn't work. I don't need the distraction of being around a bunch of single attractive women. I need to worry about me and my relationship with God first and foremost. Then we'll see about the rest.

I have a question for the brothers. Is it necessary for men to wear the little hat all the time? I wear hats most of the time anyway (ballcaps, but yeah) so that's not an issue. Just wondering if it is a necessity.

Aprender
05-26-2011, 08:45 PM
YAY!

Now I wanna try wearing the hijab next!

elina
05-27-2011, 10:22 AM
hi just a guy, I think a lot of people think that way about hijab, the people I work with quizzed me about wearing a scarf a lot asking if I was made to wear it. Then when I started wearing hijab to and from work they quizzed me more, a couple of them thought I had done something wrong and it was punishment, others thought my husband made me wear it. When I told them my husband opinion was that its my choice whether I wore proper hijab or just a scarf or nothing on my head at all for that matter, they didnt believe me......they assumed since he was brought up in Islamic country he must be a stark raving loony Muslim that oppressed and controlled women...so sad but also a good opportunity to put them right :) My husband doesnt wear anything on his head but I have seen other men do it....so I guess thats personal choice too...Inshallah someone will be able to explain it better for you :)

salam aprender..... oooh try it, its really comforting.... i dont know about other sisters but i found it feels more comfortable and secure when im outside rather than when i have it on inside :)

elina
05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
oh im not sure that made sense.... i mean when im inside its just 'there' and i forgot its there.... when im outside although i forget its there i have a really big safe secure comforting feeling :)

Who Am I?
05-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Alright. Yet another thing I have learned just by being here...

brmm
05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
I have a question for the brothers. Is it necessary for men to wear the little hat all the time? I wear hats most of the time anyway (ballcaps, but yeah) so that's not an issue. Just wondering if it is a necessity.
Hi Pre-Brother :)
Wearing this small hat or any thing with Arabic style is just a tradition. Usually the Arabic Muslim countries are warm and sunny, and old guys almost bold. When u r in a direct sun u will need something to protect your head.

BRMM

al yunan
05-28-2011, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brmm
Hi Pre-Brother :)
Wearing this small hat or any thing with Arabic style is just a tradition. Usually the Arabic Muslim countries are warm and sunny, and old guys almost bold. When u r in a direct sun u will need something to protect your head. BRMM
Salam brmm,

There is no Sunnah involved or Ahadith or Usul Fiqh ?
So as per your explanation the covering of the head is "just a Arab tradition" ?
Caps are mainly to protect bold old guy's self esteem ?
An arab sombrero to keep out the sun ?
Arab Muslim countries are warm and sunny as opposed to the non Muslim Arab countries that are what ? cloudy and cold !
Are you for real ?
Perhaps on Lithium ?
Is this a place for you to amuse your self ?

SAKER
05-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Great action wowwwwwwww

God bless you

Wassalamou alaikoum oua rahmatou Allah wa barakatouh

SAKER
05-28-2011, 03:07 PM
hijab is an obligation for women .....

Who Am I?
05-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Well as I said, I usually wear hats anyway, so this is not an issue for me.

Beardo
05-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Oooohh, masha-Allah! Mabrook, sister. :) You know, I think they have some YouTube videos on how to tie your Hijaab. There's different fashions and methods. You can see which one suits you best.

Not that I'd know. Honest to God, I don't think I've ever searched up "How to tie your Hiaab." I just never needed to... Hopefully for obvious reasons. -_____-

And it's not because, "Oh, I'm not attractive so I don't need to wear Hijaab." -_-

Who Am I?
05-28-2011, 03:47 PM
OK, now you're going to make me look up how to tie a hijab on YouTube. :raging:

al yunan
05-28-2011, 04:25 PM
OK, now you're going to make me look up how to tie a hijab on YouTube.

format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
And it's not because, "Oh, I'm not attractive so I don't need to wear Hijaab." -_-
Salam dear brothers,

Or am I missing something here ?
Why are you Just a Guy looking up about Hijabs ?
And brother Beardo, as per past posts, hair and beard problems plus latest declaration maybe the Niqab ?
I'm a grandfather and supposed to be serious, I hope what you guys got ain't catchy !

Masalam

Who Am I?
05-28-2011, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Salam dear brothers,

Or am I missing something here ?
Why are you Just a Guy looking up about Hijabs ?
And brother Beardo, as per past posts, hair and beard problems plus latest declaration maybe the Niqab ?
I'm a grandfather and supposed to be serious, I hope what you guys got ain't catchy !

Masalam
I was joking. I didn't really look up how to tie a hijab. But everyone else was talking about it so I thought I would add that in there. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Riana17
05-29-2011, 08:01 AM
OK, now you're going to make me look up how to tie a hijab on YouTube. :raging:
nyahahaha;D;D;D

Riana17
05-29-2011, 08:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
YAY!

Now I wanna try wearing the hijab next!
and not this sister ;D;D;D

elina
05-29-2011, 09:52 AM
salam saker and thank you... I definitely won't be going out without it on anymore :)

salam beardo, thanks and lol....... we have beard snoods at work..... one size fits all and so long as you like blue and net they are fine....apparently great for keeping an unruly beard in check :)

I've not had the best day since I woke up so thanks for the chuckle guys....you are so comical lol

Asiyah3
05-29-2011, 10:40 AM
:sl:

Masha'Allah, mabrook sister. Jazakiallah for sharing this with us. May Allah reward you and keep you on the straight path. :)

elina
05-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks sister, Inshallah I will not wander :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!