/* */

PDA

View Full Version : In-laws or out-laws?

سيف الله
05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Salaam

Found a really interesting article on the relationship between in laws which I would like to share. Its from a western perspective but nevertheless its intriguing.

In-laws or out-laws?

Relationships with our in-laws are destined to be tense and problematic — that’s what I used to think. But my new daughters-in-law are wonderful. I appreciate them for the people they are, but also because of the way they have enriched and deepened all our family relationships.

Great expectations

I feel fortunate to have established such good relationships with my daughters-in-law early on, but so often this isn’t the case. Many of us find our in-law relationship extremely challenging. Most people hope to feel accepted as part of their partner’s family. Their partner’s parents, in turn, are often desperate to like them, but may have expectations about how their child’s partner should be.

Personality clash

Both sides are vulnerable — exposed to rejection and at risk of upsetting each other and the partner/child who is now caught between the two parties. In addition, parents and daughters-in-law are competing for the love and attention of the same person, which can make for a strained relationship.

We may feel at odds with our in-laws because their values and personalities often clash with our own. This is part of our attraction to our partner — we’re often drawn to a mate because they are different from what we’ve known. But when we put them together with our parents, those differences come into painful focus.

This can be hard on parents-in-law, who may feel rejected by their child. And the more distressed they feel, the more they’ll push aside the child-in-law to seek reassurance from their own child, and therefore the more defensive their child and his or her partner become. It takes a mature person not to criticise or make disparaging remarks under these circumstances.

It is easy to forget the dramatic effect a new person can make to the family dynamic. What both sides are dealing with is someone who, by sheer virtue of being an outsider, throws our family traditions into sharp relief. Any attempt to do things differently is a criticism of us as people – no matter how unintentional the slight.

This is why it can be so helpful to observe certain rules of etiquette. No matter how informal it may seem, our relationship with our in-laws can benefit from knowing where our boundaries lie, from respecting one another’s space and observing family customs.

Us and them

Not all of us are fortunate enough to have in-laws with whom we feel an affinity. Lorna recounts how she has to spend every Christmas with her in-laws, who still treat her as a newcomer.

‘Their Christmas present rota penalises outsiders,’ says Lorna. ‘We do a Secret Santa, but the blood relations get a £30 gift, even if an “incomer” is buying it. Those who’ve married into the family only get £20 spent on them. It’s not the amount that upsets me, it’s the subtext. It’s as if they’re saying “You’re not one of us, and never will be”.’

Yet Lorna — like so many of us — still needs to find ways to make the relationship with her in-laws work, because trying to avoid them would only cause everyone to feel hurt. The best way to improve things is to assume that you can’t force others to change, and instead find ways to handle the tensions yourself, using the toolkits on these pages.

There is no rule that says you should love your in-laws. But unlike the common stereotypes, it is possible to develop a close and lasting relationship that benefits you, your partner, and your partner’s parents.

http://www.psychologies.co.uk/family...s-or-out-laws/

Thoughts, comments?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
May Ayob
05-18-2011, 10:18 AM
It depends if the spouse has already god relations with their siblings , then i think it will turn out to be a wonderfull relation ship they get to tell all about yopur spouses childhood and if any problem happens then they will help you understand yopur spouses point of you , they can be a big blessing.

i'm not so sure about it always going as i mentioned above these are my thoughts and hopes , i think a good spouse will already have a strong relationship with their parents and sibling , indicates that they are family oriented and will be somewhat devoted in their marriage life

sorry for the late reply :)

May Ayob
05-18-2011, 10:19 AM
i meant to say good. i have seriuos typing mistakes

Amanda
05-18-2011, 12:33 PM
I have some friends who struggle with their relationships with in-laws... but I am lucky, my husband's family is very welcoming to me. I still always feel like an outsider, though, because we are a mixed couple and there is a language barrier with his family... It's hard not to feel like an outsider when everyone is speaking a language you don't really understand, but at least they make the effort to accept and include me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
11-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Someone saw a teen boy with me. He asked me "Who is this boy?", and I said "My nephew". Actually I don't have blood relationship with that boy. He is the son of my wife older sister, but I call him my nephew, not my wife nephew.

In another time. I was in my wife another older sister home. A guest came, and my sister in-law introduced me to that guest with "My younger brother". She didn't say "My younger sister husband".

Like have been taught since I was young, after getting married, my wife family become my family, and my family become my wife family. This is why I treated them as my family, and they treated me as their family member.

By the way, how you call your parent in-law?. I call "Mama" to my mother in-law and ..... no, no, not papa, but I call "Grandpa" to my father in-law follow my nephews and my nieces, while my wife call "Mama" to my mother. (My father had passed away when I got married)

Skorpio
11-20-2013, 07:14 PM
I've been married two years and I still feel like an outsider, my parents in law hardly attempt to talk to me and I am very sensitive about this and lack confidence and self esteem which makes things much harder to bear. It might be my introvert personality that has stopped me getting further with my in laws, we live in the same house but it feels like we are still strangers. So I know exactly how hard things can be

ardianto
11-21-2013, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skorpio
I've been married two years and I still feel like an outsider, my parents in law hardly attempt to talk to me and I am very sensitive about this and lack confidence and self esteem which makes things much harder to bear. It might be my introvert personality that has stopped me getting further with my in laws, we live in the same house but it feels like we are still strangers. So I know exactly how hard things can be
Basically I am an introvert too, but Alhamdulillah, I am easy to be friend with other people.

When I was young I've ever studied in another city and rented a room there. There were about 10 other students who lived there too. I always talk or chat with them. But there was one guy who very quite and very 'lone'. I tried to be close with him, but I felt like he 'built a wall' that hinder other people to interact him. It made me hesitate to interact and being close with him.

Sister, that's what other people feel on you. So, you should tear down this 'wall' if you want other people be closer with you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!