/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Tawba of Abu Nuwas

'Aleena
05-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Abu Nuwas was a person who loved to drink and say obscene things, such that he would even make up verses of poetry and sing about inappropriate things. However, he underwent a change and repented to God. People were surprised—Abu Nuwas, who was a known drunkard? Abu Nuwas the lewd man? In a sense, it was almost as though they believed Allah would not forgive him and that Allah would not have mercy on him. So he wrote verses of poetry, and they found these verses under the bed that he died upon. The lines in the poem said:

O my Lord, if the greatness of my sins increase, then I know that Your forgiveness is greater
If only the righteous called on You, then who would the criminal go to?
I call on You my Lord, as you commanded, with reverence
And if You turn my hands away, then who else will have mercy?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asiyah3
05-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Masha'Allah, beautiful. Jazakallahu khair for sharing. Our Lord is al-Ghafur, ar-Raheem.

gladTidings
06-04-2011, 08:17 AM

SubhanAllah.

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Amazing! SubhanAllah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Riana17
06-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Subhanallah, may Allah accept his repentance

Remembering attributes: Ar Raheem - The Most Merciful

ardianto
03-17-2012, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Aleena
Abu Nuwas was a person who loved to drink and say obscene things, such that he would even make up verses of poetry and sing about inappropriate things. However, he underwent a change and repented to God. People were surprised—Abu Nuwas, who was a known drunkard? Abu Nuwas the lewd man? In a sense, it was almost as though they believed Allah would not forgive him and that Allah would not have mercy on him. So he wrote verses of poetry, and they found these verses under the bed that he died upon. The lines in the poem said:

O my Lord, if the greatness of my sins increase, then I know that Your forgiveness is greater
The poem is known as Al I'tiraf (confession), and later becomes a popular "du'a of repentance".

Here, Al I'tiraf.

Periwinkle18
03-17-2012, 07:11 PM
SubhanAllah jazakAllah for sharing :)

tayek1967
04-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Allah is always present everywhere. Abu nuwas is a person who complete submission himself on Allah. so, Allah allow him positively. thanks for your topic, I feel proud to share with u.

Silent Peace
04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Subhanallah, may Allah accept his repentance.

~ Sabr ~
06-06-2012, 11:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Aleena
This is such a beautiful poem, MashaAllaah. This is getting made into a banner as soon as my computer is sorted, InshaAllaah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!