/* */

PDA

View Full Version : IB Kitchen Club

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Serendipity
08-17-2012, 08:10 PM
3 ingredient chocolate fudge (mute the music): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmSdJw29Pk

I made it and it turned out good but it was a bit too sweet because I used milk chocolate instead of dark.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
08-18-2012, 06:44 AM
That man looks like a friendly happy man.

Muhaba
08-18-2012, 12:12 PM
well, tomorrow is eid. i hope i can find some good recipes to use. i want to make biryani and bake a cake that's both delicious and simple. any ideas.

glo
08-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Banana loaf, lemon drizzle cake or carrot cake.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
08-18-2012, 04:36 PM
What about swiss roll? It is fast to make.

You can fill and decorate it as you like.

Kei
08-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Any desserts with no refined sugars, sisters? :statisfie

sister herb
08-19-2012, 05:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kei
Any desserts with no refined sugars, sisters? :statisfie
I just posted recipe of Cheese baked in owen. There is no sugar and you can eat it with fresh berries - with no sugar at all.

I just made it yesterday for my eid food - unfortunately my family ate it immediately. ;D

Kei
08-19-2012, 11:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I just posted recipe of Cheese baked in owen. There is no sugar and you can eat it with fresh berries - with no sugar at all.

I just made it yesterday for my eid food - unfortunately my family ate it immediately. ;D
Oh, I missed that one :o
That looks delicious, can't wait to find out how it tastes! ;D

Muhaba
08-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I baked banana cake recently. It's one of my own recipes and a variation of the previous recipe i posted. it's really simple to make. The thing is, since it contains banana (I used two which I mashed and mixed in the batter), you don't need to put so much sugar and you might try increasing bananas and not use any sugar at all.

The recipe:
1 tbsp baking powder
50 grams butter, softened
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup milk
1 & 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten

in a pot, mix baking powder with 1 - 2 tbsp water. add beaten egg, butter, and mashed bananas. mix well. stir in sugar. Then fold in flour. Finally add milk. mix well. Then set aside about 12 hours to rise.

preheat oven for 1/2 hour. grease pan and pour in batter. Bake about 45 minutes, until top is golden brown and knife entered in center comes out clean.

Enjoy! eid mubarak IB kitchen club members.

Muhaba
08-19-2012, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Banana loaf, lemon drizzle cake or carrot cake.
Recipes? can you give link to any of these. I made banana cake recently using a recipe i made myself (see previous post). I like experimenting with stuff.

glo
08-19-2012, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
Recipes? can you give link to any of these. I made banana cake recently using a recipe i made myself (see previous post). I like experimenting with stuff.
Banana loaf

Lemon drizzle cake

Carrot cake

Enjoy! :statisfie

sister herb
08-19-2012, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kei
Oh, I missed that one :o
That looks delicious, can't wait to find out how it tastes! ;D
Actually it tast sweet even it has´t any sugar. You can also make it more sweet if use 3 desilitre water and 2 desilitre cream.

Muhaba
08-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Thank you, sister Glo. I will check them out & will definately use the recipes.

sister herb
08-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Marinated Lamb Cutlets Recipe

Ingredients:-

250 gms —– Lamb Chops
50 gms —– Lamb, minced
100 gms —– Assorted vegetables, boil and minced
5 gms —– Salt
15 gms —– Pepper powder
10 gms —– Fresh mint
20 gms —– Thyme
20 ml —– Worcestershire sauce
1 —– Lemon
Mashed potatoes and mint sauce to serve.

Method:

Mix minced lamb, vegetable salt, pepper, mint, Worcestershire sauce and thyme.
Slit chop along the bone to make a pocket.
Stuff a portion of the minced mixture into it. Marinate lamb cutlets with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Keep aside for three hours.
Coat with thyme leaves and cook in frying pan on slow flame for 10 minutes.
Arrange in a plate, serve with mint sauce, mashed potatoes and boiled vegetable.

sister herb
08-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Cinnamon Apple yogurt Muffins

1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, quartered, then diced
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped, toasted
2 large eggs
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, (1 stick)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tea spoon cinnamon

Directions:
1. Place cupcake liners inside a 12-cup standard muffin tin.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3. whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Add diced apples and walnuts, tossing to coat.

4. Whisk together eggs, yogurt and butter, in a small bowl. Gently fold the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Don’t over mix or muffins will be tough.

5. Divide batter among muffin cups.

6. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle a little of the mixture over the top of each muffin.

7. Bake until muffins are brown around edges and spring back when touched, 16 to 18 minutes.

8. Remove muffin pan to a rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Then, turn out muffins onto the wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or freeze in a plastic container for longer storage.

sister herb
08-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Pavlovas

meringue nests:

4 egg whites
250 ml sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla sugar

filling:
200 - 300 ml cream
sugar
vanilla sugar
passion fruits
fresh raspberries

First prepare the meringue mixture for the meringue nests. Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form (about 1 minute at the highest speed with an electric table top mixer fitted with a balloon whisk). Start adding the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking continually at high speed.

When all sugar has been added, continue whisking until the mixture is very stiff and shiny. Now add the vinegar, vanilla sugar and cornstarch through a sieve. Whisk just until the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.

With the help of two spoons, form the meringue mixture into nest-shaped rounds onto a lightly buttered baking parchment.

Bake the nests at 100 °C, on the middle rack of the oven, for 1½ hours.

Let the meringues cool a bit, then lift them carefully with a spatula and place on a wire rack to cool down completely.

Season the cream with a pinch of sugar and vanilla sugar and whip until soft peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream into and over the meringue nests.

Halve a couple of passion fruits and spoon their filling over the whipped cream. Finally dot the filled meringues with the raspberries. Serve immediately.

sister herb
08-31-2012, 09:13 AM
If you like, sift the pavlovas with icing sugar or drizzle some tianuchka-sauce (Russian cream toffee sauce) on top (recipe is in page 13, post 193).

sister herb
09-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Tahini Cake with Sesame Coating

3 eggs
1 ½ cup sugar
1 cup canola oil
½ cup tahini
½ cup cold milk
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour

For the coating:
1 tsp soft margarine
½ cup sesame
2 tbsp walnut pieces

In a large bowl, mix the eggs and sugar with a mixer till it gets foamy (for about 5 minutes). Add canola oil and cold milk. Stir with a wooden spoon. Then, stir in flour and baking powder. Finally add tahini and stir well to dissolve all ingredients.

Meanwhile, apply soft margarine all over the cake pan with a brush or your fingers. Pour the sesame inside and try to coat inside the cake pan evenly. And then, pour the cake mixture inside and sprinkle with walnuts on top.

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and bake for about 40-50 minutes till the cake turns golden brown.

sister herb
09-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Sesame sticks

½ cup canola oil
125 gr butter/margarine, softened
1 Tbsp vinegar
½ cup water
1 egg white (yolk is for the glaze)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt to taste
3 ½ -4 cups flour
½ cup sesame and nigella seeds

Mix the dough ingredients in a big bowl. Then, knead the dough until becomes soft and consistent. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.

Grab walnut size pieces and shape them into long sticks thick as pencil. Cut the sticks in 4-5 inch long. Brush each stick with the egg yolk you set aside before. Place sesame and nigella seeds (or only sesame) over a flat plate and dip one side of the sticks into it for covering with sesame and nigella (or only sesame) seeds. Take the sticks over a greased oven tray.

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and bake them for about 30-35 minutes or until they get light brown.

Innocent Soul
09-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Do you really make these things? :uuh:

or just copy and paste the recipes? :p

sister herb
09-02-2012, 03:56 PM
^^ You should ask it from my overweight family.

:giggling:

Hulk
09-04-2012, 04:54 AM

Riana17
09-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Salam

Here's our dinner the other night. I followed this online recipe lol

• 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3.5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1.25 cups milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted

In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.

Heat a lightly buttered griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter when pan is too hot (then slowly lessen the fire-this is to be able to get the beauty of brown texture), using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

You can use butter+honey syrup, chocolate or anything you like....

I just like honey syrup with it.

Pure Purple
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I tried this recipe,yummy....
instead of using cauliflower I used cabbage to make it more crispy.
http://www.vegetarianrecipes.net/gobi-manchurian-balls/

Hulk
09-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Usually I eat chicken breasts.. tuna.. tilapia.. and occasionally when I have money I will buy salmon.. A few days ago my mum went to a "non-corporate" supermarket and bought a whole bunch of salmons lol. I can tell from the salmon cuts that it was from a whole fish. I'm eating salmon almost everyday this week lol.

To cook it I just stab it a few times with a small knife on both skin side and flesh side. Rub some seasoning, heat up the pan with some olive oil. Put it on there skin side down, 6 minutes, flip, 6 minutes, flip. If I see that it is edible I will eat it with some baked beans.

farah-
09-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Yummy Scrummy Chocolate Cake :statisfie
Ingredients

2 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp soda

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 cup cocoa

1 3/4 cup sugar

2/3 cup shortening

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup butter milk

1 cup water

Directions

Take sugar in a bowl, add the cocoa powder. Mix them together.
Now start dry ingredients, add flour, soda and salt. Mix them together.
Take 1 cup of boiling water.
To the dry mixture, add shortenings, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
Start to blend. Add a cup of boiling water and blend more.
Put the cake mixture in a pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 -35 minutes.
Check after 30 minutes, bake more if required.
Frost the cake with chocolate butter cream frosting.
Slice the cake and serve with a scoop of ice cream.

I have made Chocolate Cakes at home and they're delicious!
I love going shopping to purchase the ingredients :)

Hulk
09-20-2012, 11:19 PM
I hate baking because you have to "pre heat" the oven at so and so degrees.. How am I supposed to know how many degrees it is?!

farah-
09-21-2012, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
I hate baking because you have to "pre heat" the oven at so and so degrees.. How am I supposed to know how many degrees it is?!
Me too! I just don't get the whole oven concept! It just takes a bit of getting used to. Normally instead of preheating I leave it off and when I'm ready to put the cooking in I turn the oven on and leave it for longer :)

sister herb
11-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Seems you all have lost your appetite as last post in this thread was made at over a month ago. Ok, cookie time.

Ginger cookies

(Approx. 50 cookies)

200 g butter
250 g all-purpose flour
250 g white sugar
2 tbsp. syrup or honey
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. soda
2 tbsp. ground ginger

1. Put oven on 200 degrees Celcius.

2. Chop the butter into the flour.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients.

4. Knead the dough well.

5. Roll the dough into 2-2½ cm thick balls.

6. Place the balls on a baking tray (without any paper underneath).

NOTE: the balls flatten out by themselves in the oven, so make sure to keep a good distance between them - about 7 cm's apart. The bigger you make the balls, the more space you need between them... You won't be able to put all 50 of them in the oven at the same time, unless your oven is huge.

7. Put the tray in the middle of the pre-heated oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes until golden. Keep an eye on them after 8 minutes have passed, because depending on your oven quality and the size of your cookies they might already be ready to take out.

8. Let the cookies cool on the tray for a minute or two after taking them out of the oven, because when they're still hot, they break easily if you try to remove them from the tray! When the cookies are ready (not too hot anymore), transfer them to cool a bit more on a flat surface. Serve the cookies immediately or store them in an airtight container.

Hulk
11-02-2012, 06:09 PM
I've been cooking sis but you know what this thread is so hard to find lol.

I havent been cooking anything fancy just the usual salmon on heat lol. i found this channel and this recipe looks simple yet unique i might considering trying it but hey why dont u try it first to see if it tastes good ;D

Re.TiReD
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Assalamu 'alaykum

Chicken Corn Soup:

1 cup chicken fillet cut into small cubes
1green chilli pounded
2cloves garic crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon and pepper

1/4 cup flour
100g butter
1 litre of milk and water mixed (so half of each)
1 tin creamed style corn (Green Giant do it but if not just add normal sweetcorn)
125ml cream (optional)

(i use spring onion or parsley to garnish)!

In a pot, put a few knobs of butter and add in the chicken and all the spices. Cook till chicken is tender.

In another large pot, melt the butter, add the flour and mix into a paste, then add the milk/water mixture, add the creamed style corn and all the chicken mixture.
Continue to stir on low heat until soup is nice and thick. Bring to a boil on low heat but keep stirring so it doesnt stick. Add cream if you want a richer/creamier taste but its optional and then garnish

Sorry for the measurements in 'cups', another sis gave this recipe and I just improvised, turned out really good though alhamdulillah though a little too 'corny' for my liking so used less of the creamed style corn =D

sister herb
11-02-2012, 06:30 PM
It (ice cream muffins) looks simple - even in video. Maybe experimental kitchen of sister harb has to try...

sister herb
11-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Sponge fingers

3 eggs
100 ml + 1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
pinch of salt
150 ml flour
icing sugar for dusting

Separate the egg yolks and whites. Beat the yolks, sugar (100 ml) and vanilla sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the egg whites, salt and sugar (1 tbsp) until stiff and glossy.

Carefully fold the egg whites and sifted flour into the egg yolk mixture in four parts, mixing very gently after every addition to prevent knocking out the air.

Using a pastry bag fitted with a plain nozzle, pipe the batter into 10 cm long and 2½ - 3 cm wide finger shaped biscuits onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (picture).

Leave some space between the biscuits, as they spread a bit during baking.

Lightly dust the fingers with icing sugar though a fine sieve. Bake the fingers immediately at 150 °C for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they are lightly browned underneath the icing sugar and feel crisp on top but are still soft inside.

Using a spatula, gently lift the biscuits on wire racks to cool until thoroughly crisp. If the cooled biscuits remain soft and spongy or sticky, they are underbaked. Overbaked biscuits are too dry and hard. Soft, underbaked biscuits can be dried in oven at 70 - 100 °C for about 30 to 60 minutes, or until sufficiently dry.

Serve the sponge fingers plain with coffee or tea or use them in desserts, like tiramisu. Store the biscuits in a sealed tin to maintain their crispness.
Makes about 25 - 30 sponge fingers.

Musaafirah
11-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Made some sponge cakes for the Micro crew (Vanilla and chocolate)....

They look toothy coz of the double cream. I sandwiched the cream with an icing thing. (The word escapes me now.)

(Please do excuse the mess, I tried to take as little of the background into the pic as possible..

Recipe:
6 oz margarine or butter (your choice)
6 oz caster sugar
3 eggs
6 oz SR flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar together, then whizz everything else in with a whisk (electrical handwhisk preferable)
Pre-heat oven to gas mark 5. Prepare your tins (I used 2x 7" tins)
Bake for about 20 minutes, or when it springs away from the sides of the tin.

Once baked and cooled, sandwich with a jam of your choice and double cream and sprinkle with icing sugar.

For the chocolate version, substitue 1 oz SR flour with 1 oz cocoa powder (So 5 oz SR flour and 1 oz cocoa powder), omit the vanilla and voila.

sister herb
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
^^ They looks tasty and shape is good too.

Mustafa2012
11-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Anyone have some good recipes for a marinade for grilled chicken fillets/steaks?

sister herb
11-05-2012, 11:34 PM
You could try maple syrup marinade:

125 ml Canadian maple syrup
75 ml chilli sauce or "Heinz" tomato ketchup
1 small onion
2 tbsp apple wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce or "Kikkoman" soy sauce

Chop the onion finely. Combine the marinade ingredients in a sturdy, large plastic bag large enough to hold the sauce and the chicken pieces.

Add the chicken pieces in the bag, seal it and place to marinate in the refrigerator for four hours, turning the bag occasionally.

Mustafa2012
11-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks. That looks good. I'll have to try it soon.

I heard somewhere that vinegar that is made from wine is not allowed for us to have? Anyone else heard this?

Do you have a recipe for a spicy hot marinade?

sister herb
11-06-2012, 12:01 AM
I checked vinegar before I posted recipe to here from http://www.islamawareness.net/Alcoho...inegar001.html

and http://islamqa.info/en/ref/2283

"Vinegar is a well known basic foodstuff, made from wine of which the composition has changed so that it is no longer sweet but is acidic or sour.

Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What a good food is vinegar.” (Reported by Muslim, 3/1623)

When wine turns to vinegar by itself, without any deliberate treatment needed for it to be changed, it is permissible to eat, drink and handle it, according to the consensus of the scholars, because of the hadeeth quoted above.

But if the wine has become vinegar because of deliberate treatment, by adding vinegar, onions, salt etc., or by any other process, in this case the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) differ as to whether it is permissible."

Mustafa2012
11-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks for providing some evidence. I've read that one before but the thing is, how can we tell if the wine has turned into vinegar naturally or if it has gone through deliberate treatment? It doesn't usually say on the bottle.

sister herb
11-06-2012, 12:26 AM
^ That´s a problem... maybe looking for it from halal shops?

Chicken marinade 2

1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp grated garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt
200 ml (2 dl) flavored yogurt

Mix and keep chicken pieces in marinade few hours.

sister herb
11-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Distilled white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, malt vinegar, corn (Maize) sugar vinegar are considered Halal. Wine Vinegar and Balsamic vinegar are not considered Halal because of left over of wine in wine vinegar and high content sugar containing grape in Italy which in turn provide more alcohol is available to convert it to vinegar.

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/faq.html

If you are unsure about vinegar in maple syrup marinade, then better leave it and use more soy sauce.

Mustafa2012
11-06-2012, 02:38 AM
:jz:

Thanks very much.

Got any good recipes for spicy lamb?

sister herb
11-06-2012, 03:42 PM
If you like something very spicy, maybe you should try Harissa lamb. You can also buy harissa paste/sauce ready or make it by yourself.

5 large hot Red chilli's
2 red capsicums grilled and skinned
2 Cloves Garlic
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
½ teaspoon coriander seed
Sea salt
Olive Oil
600-800 grams of lamb

Method

1. Chop up the chillies, and keep the seeds ( or took them away - they are really spicy)
2. Grill the 2 capsicums and then skin. A wee trick for skinning capsicums is while hot, put them into a plastic bag. This will sweat the capsicum and make it easier to peel the skin later.
3. Slice the capsicum finely.
4. Using a mortar and pestle (or a blender if you like) combine chillies, garlic, cumin, coriander. The end result should be a smooth paste.
5. Add the capsicum and combine adding more olive oil to get a smooth consistency.

6. Take half the harissa and spread it over the lamb and marinated it for an hour or two.

7. Sear the lamb on the BBQ (both sides) at a high temperature.
8. Once both sides are browned, turn the heat to medium and let it cook for another 10 minutes on each side. Your meat should be about rare but it depends on how thick the lamb is. Use a meat thermometer for best results.
9. Remove from the BBQ and let sit for 10 mins. Slice however thick/thin you want and serve with salad, a little natural yoghurt, and some more harissa for anyone who wants an extra kick.

----------------------------------------------
Harissa (Arabic: هريسة‎) is a Tunisian and Libyan hot chili sauce whose main ingredients are piri piri (type of chili pepper), serrano peppers and other hot chili peppers and spices and herbs such as garlic paste, coriander, red chili powder, caraway as well as some vegetable or olive oil. It is most closely associated with Tunisia, Libya and Algeria but recently also making inroads into Morocco according to Moroccan food expert Paula Wolfert. It can also be found in countries with strong Arab presence such as France or Germany.

Recipes for harissa vary according to the household and region. Variations can include the addition of cumin, red peppers, garlic, coriander, and lemon juice. In Saharan regions, harissa can have a smoky flavor. Prepared harissa is also sold in jars, cans, bottles, tubes, plastic bags and other containers.

In Tunisia and Libya, harissa is used as an ingredient in a meat (goat or lamb) or fish stew with vegetables, and as a flavoring for couscous. It is also used for lablabi, a chickpea soup usually eaten for breakfast. In some European countries it is used sometimes as a breakfast spread for tartines or rolls. Harissa paste can also be used as a rub for meat or eggplants.

Tunisia is the biggest exporter of pre-made harissa It is. also manufactured in Libya but has a distinct taste from the Tunisian brands.

(from wikipedia)

sister herb
11-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Lamb, tomato and chickpea stew with harissa

Ingredients:
750g diced lamb
1dl olive oil
1kg unpeeled and unseeded tomato
50g green pepper cut into strips
1dl water
2 carrots, sliced
2 teaspoons harissa
500g canned chickpea
1 bunch coriander, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

1. Put the lamb, tomatoes, olive oil, harissa, green peppers, carrots, water, salt and pepper in a pan. Bring to a simmer. Once it begins to boil, lower the heat and let it cook for one hour with the pan covered and in low heat.

2. Add the canned beans and let it boil again.

3. Serve the stew sprinkled with chopped coriander.

Mustafa2012
11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
:salamext:

Hey, those dishes look really good. :ma:

I'm going to have to try these out especially the Harissa lamb.

sister herb
11-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Salam alaykum

Have a tasty dinners to you then.

:statisfie

Mustafa2012
11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Salam alaykum

Have a tasty dinners to you then.

Thanks I will try to. You too!

sister herb
11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
After spicy lamb, next something sweet...

Peppermint patties

1 egg white
2 - 3 drops peppermint oil *)
icing sugar
(green food colouring)
(dark chocolate)

Place the egg white in a bowl. Mix lightly with a fork. Add a drop or two of peppermint oil, mix gently. Using the fork, gradually stir in sieved icing sugar until the mixture becomes quite firm and does not stick to your fingers any more. (You can colour the mixture pale green with the food colouring, if you like.)

The mixture should have a satiny shine and be easily kneadable, although not too dry or brittle. Taste the mixture and carefully add more peppermint oil, if necessary.

Take small pieces of the mixture (each weighing about 5 grams) and roll them into balls about the size of a small cherry. Place the balls on a waxed or parchment paper and immediately flatten them with a palette knife. Only roll and flatten one piece at a time, keeping the rest of the mixture covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying.

Keep turning the patties over until both sides have become dry to touch and will not stick to the paper any more. Allow the patties to dry overnight in a cool, dry place.

When the patties are completely dry, you can dip them in melted chocolate. You can also just drizzle them with chocolate or brush their tops with a fork dipped in melted chocolate (see the picture on right). Let the patties dry on wax paper.

The patties are delicious served with strong after-dinner coffee. They also make an elegant, sweet present.

*) Natural oil of peppermint (Mentha piperita). Only a couple of drops are needed to sufficiently flavour the candies. In some countries, peppermint oil is sold in pharmacies.

------------------------------------------------
HONEY-GLAZED WALNUTS

100 g shelled walnut halves
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey

Spread the walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Toast the nuts at 175 °C for about 4 - 5 minutes, or until they are lightly coloured.

Meanwhile, warm a small skillet on medium heat. As soon as the walnuts are sufficiently toasted, take them out of the oven and add to the hot skillet. Add the sugar and let it melt slowly. Lower the heat, add the honey and mix rapidly, just enough to evenly cover all the walnuts with the sugar and honey mixture. Be careful not to burn the mixture.

Pour the hot mixture on a parchment paper to cool, separating the walnuts apart. When cool, break the glaze-covered walnuts apart or coarsely chop them and serve sprinkled on top of ice cream, desserts or fruit salads.

Whole glazed walnuts may be served as a snack or candy or used to garnish cakes, desserts and fruit salads. Store the walnuts in an airtight jar.

sister herb
11-07-2012, 10:13 PM
More homemade sweets:

Chocolate truffles

150 g high-quality dark chocolate (semisweet or bitter) with high cocoa content (about 70 %)
75 ml cream
50 g unsalted butter
1½ tbsp soft brown sugar (firmly packed)
½ tbsp vanilla sugar

flavouring of you choice:

1. 1 tsp instant coffee granules
2. few drops natural orange essence and/or ½ tsp grated orange zest
3. 1 - 2 drops (or to taste) natural peppermint oil
etc...

garnish of your choice:
1. cocoa powder
2. icing sugar
3. roasted, chopped almonds or nuts
4. melted chocolate (dark, milk or white)
etc...

Place the cream, butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Heat and stir gently until the butter and sugar have melted. Bring the mixture almost to the boil and remove the pan from the heat.

Stir in the vanilla sugar and the flavouring of your choice. Add the chopped chocolate, let it melt and stir the mixture until smooth. Pour the mixture in a wide, flat dish and place in refrigerator for 1 to 1½ hours.

When the mixture is stiff enough, roll it into small balls (resembling truffle mushrooms) using your hands. A melon baller comes handy in here. Roll the sticky truffle balls in the garnish of your choice, or place the uncoated balls in refrigerator to harden and dip them into melted chocolate of you choice.

Place the dipped truffles on baking parchment to set. You may also just pipe the truffle mixture into miniature paper or tin cups. Store the truffles in a cool place and consume within a couple of days.

Makes about 20 to 25 truffles.

sister herb
11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Almond paste

100 g blanched almonds
100 g icing sugar
egg white
2 ml almond extract

Using an almond mill (if you haven´t it, beat them as fine as you can or use minced almonds), grate the almonds finely and mix with the sieved icing sugar in a bowl. Mix in some egg white, little at a time, until you get a soft and kneadable mixture. Add the almond extract and continue kneading with your hands. The resulting paste should be soft, but not sticky.

If not used immediately, wrap the almond paste tightly in plastic and store in refrigerator. Use it within a week or so to make candies, to cover cakes.

Almond paste may be coloured and flavoured with food colourings, cocoa powder and peppermint oil, rose water, orange flower water, etc.

Note that using larger quantities of liquid flavouring will make the paste softer and stickier, so add some more icing sugar in the mixture.

Do not overwork the paste when shaping or rolling it out, as this will cause the oil in the mixture to separate, making the paste oily and unworkable.

sister herb
11-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Marmalade confections

These marmalade confections of natural fruit and berry flavours are easy to make at home.

60 ml thick berry or fruit puree, see instructions below
200 ml water
0,6 tsp (about 1,6 g) agar-agar powder or 6 g agar-agar strands
200 g sugar
(a few drops of lemon juice)
extra sugar for coating

For this recipe you can use fresh or frozen raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, apples, cranberries, blackcurrants, red currants, etc, or more exotic Finnish berries like lingonberries, bilberries or cloudberries. Even carrots may be used. More acidic berries, like lingonberries or cranberries, make the most aromatic marmalades, in my opinion.

To make the berry puree, place the fresh or frozen berries in a small saucepan. Bring the berries to the boil, crushing them with a spoon to release their juices. Let simmer until the berries have cooked down a bit. If you are using carrots, first peel and grate them finely, then cook until very tender, almost mushy, in a little dash of water.

Using a metal spoon, push the berry pulp (or the fruit or carrot pulp) through a fine sieve to get a thick puree and to get rid of any seeds, fibres etc. Cover the puree and set aside to cool.

Mix the water and the agar-agar powder in a saucepan. If you are using agar-agar strands, they must be soaked in the water overnight before cooking. Bring the mixture slowly to the boil, stirring continually. After the agar-agar has dissolved, add the sugar and bring the mixture to the boil again.

Stir until the sugar has dissolved, lower the heat and let the mixture simmer for about half an hour, or until the mixture forms a sticky thread when dropped from a spoon. Depending on the size of your pan, the cooking may take anything between 15 to 45 minutes. Stir the mixture every now and then during cooking.

Let the mixture cool for a couple of minutes. Then stir in the berry puree, mixing thoroughly. Taste the mixture. If it is very sweet and bland, you may add a few drops of lemon juice to give some acidity to the marmalades. Especially low-acidic berries and carrot seem to require this.

Pour the mixture in a small, rectangular or square pan. Cover the pan with plastic and transfer in a cool, dry place for the marmalade mixture to set. This should not take more than about one hour.

With the help of a thin rubber spatula, loosen the marmalade gently from the sides and bottom of the pan.

Unmould the slab of marmalade on work surface or a cutting board. Cut the slab with a sharp knife in squares (see the picture above), or use some miniature fancy cutters to cut out various shapes.

Let the marmalade pieces dry uncovered for a few hours. Then roll them in superfine sugar. The surface of the marmalades is still slightly sticky, so the sugar will adhere to them easily. Place the marmalades on a tray and let them dry in cool room temperature for a couple of days, turning them occasionally, before storing them in a tin.

You can roll the marmalades in sugar again after a couple of days, in case the sugar coating has melted.

Lingonberry marmalades

Bilberry marmalades

Carrot marmalades

Raspberry marmalades

About agar-agar: Name: Agar
E-Code: E406
Description:
A seaweed derivative also known as agar-agar. It's a gelling agent used in the preparation of jello or jelly similar to the ones prepared from collagen which is an animal derivative. Islamically, agar is far better than collagen. It is typically sold as packaged strips of washed and dried seaweed, or in powdered form.

Muhaba
11-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Almond paste

100 g blanched almonds
100 g icing sugar
egg white
2 ml almond extract

Using an almond mill (if you haven´t it, beat them as fine as you can or use minced almonds), grate the almonds finely and mix with the sieved icing sugar in a bowl. Mix in some egg white, little at a time, until you get a soft and kneadable mixture. Add the almond extract and continue kneading with your hands. The resulting paste should be soft, but not sticky.

If not used immediately, wrap the almond paste tightly in plastic and store in refrigerator. Use it within a week or so to make candies, to cover cakes.

Almond paste may be coloured and flavoured with food colourings, cocoa powder and peppermint oil, rose water, orange flower water, etc.

Note that using larger quantities of liquid flavouring will make the paste softer and stickier, so add some more icing sugar in the mixture.

Do not overwork the paste when shaping or rolling it out, as this will cause the oil in the mixture to separate, making the paste oily and unworkable.
This reminds me of Koya - that yummy indian/pakistani dessert made of milk or something. does anybody have the recipe for it?

sister herb
11-08-2012, 09:57 PM
I found some recipes about Koya... but they were written by Urdu only.

:heated:

I don´t understand that language.

Haya emaan
11-08-2012, 10:05 PM
koya? never heard it.. what is it like?
searched on net and it gave me about "khoya" instead of koya but that's not a dessert it self..

sister herb
11-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Khoya bufri

Ingredients:
• 2-½ litre Whole Milk
• 250-300 gms Powdered Sugar
• ½ cup Pistachio (chopped)
• 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
• 1 Silver Sheet

How to make Khoya Burfi:
• Heat the milk in a large pan on high flame and bring it to boil while stirring occasionally.
• Now reduce the flame,keep stirring.
• When the milk gets thick, remove it from the flame.
• Now add sugar to the thickened milk, stir till it dissolves and allow it to cool.
• After the milk gets cool, add cardamom powder and pistachios to it. Mix properly.
• Spread the mixture evenly on a greased metal tray.
• Press silver sheets on the mixture.
• When the mixture gets set, cut it into medium-sized squares.
• Khoya Burfi is ready to serve.

Or something else? Need to try.

sister herb
11-08-2012, 11:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khoa

I just talked about recipe with friend from Bangladesh, they too know this dessert as khoa.

Khoa is made by simmering full-fat milk in an iron karahi for several hours, over a medium fire. The gradual vaporization of its water content leaves coagulated solids in milk, which is khoa. The ideal temperature to avoid scorching is 175–180°F (about 80°C). Another quick way of making khoa is to add full fat milk powder to skimmed milk and mixing and heating until it becomes thick. This may, however, not have the same characteristics as traditionally made khoa.

:p

Khoa = dried up milk.

sister herb
11-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Karahi might means as some kind of pot.

sister herb
11-08-2012, 11:31 PM

This is called as mawa in Bangla.
It is used in sweet and also curry dishes to make creamy taste.
Like what you add cream in chicken/salmon.
When the milk is dried up, only cream and butter remain in the gum like thing, so it tastes also sweet.

Endymion
11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Had Pulao in lunch today.

I want Marmalade Confections now :playing:

sister herb
11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
I want Marmalade Confections now :playing:
If you make sweets at home, you can be sure they are 100% halal - no need to wonder what ingredients companies have used.

Endymion
11-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Can't we exchange our dishes with each other :hmm: What about Pulao in exchange of Marmalade confections and almond paste num num :D

جوري
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Pistachio and cardamom are a wonderful marriage
And rose essence does crown them - they make any desert or drink that much more exotic, rich and complex
Mmmmmm

Mustafa2012
11-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Fruit Cocktail Arab Style

Below is the best dessert I've ever had anywhere. It's a Yemeni dessert made from fresh blended fruit, nuts, ice and sugar. It tastes a lot better than it looks.

sister herb
11-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Recipe too. Even it looks there is banana.

Mustafa2012
11-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Recipe too. Even it looks there is banana.
The first one is a standard fruit cocktail made from fresh fruit with mixed fruit puree which is the liquidy part. I bought this from a fresh juice bar in Riyadh.

Re: The second one. I didn't make that either. I bought it from a Yemeni dessert shop in Riyadh. KSA.

Hmm. Now let me think about what was in it...

It definitely had mango, pineapple and banana as you can see floating on the top, mixed fresh fruit puree, pistachios, almonds, milk, sugar and ice all blended together.

جوري
11-10-2012, 12:25 AM
I miss Riyadh sometimes.. is Maqbarat al'oud still there? was the subject of many a nightmares for me as a child lol

Mustafa2012
11-10-2012, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
I miss Riyadh sometimes.. is Maqbarat al'oud still there? was the subject of many a nightmares for me as a child lol
Which district was that in?

جوري
11-10-2012, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa2012
Which district was that in?
I don't remember really that was in the eighties and I was just a kid.. but it is the only major grave yard in Riyadh as far as I know.. I am surprised by how little I remember outside of that and a place called ghbeera, and major 'supermarkets' lol..
Are you Saudi?

Mustafa2012
11-10-2012, 12:52 AM
in

I don't remember really that was in the eighties and I was just a kid.. but it is the only major grave yard in Riyadh as far as I know.. I am surprised by how little I remember outside of that and a place called ghbeera, and major 'supermarkets' lol..
Are you Saudi?
There's a largish graveyard near the masjid of Shaykh Khalid Al Jaleel in the Nakheel District. We used to see Janazah prayers there several times a week. I am not Saudi. I just worked there for some time.

Yeah the supermarkets are pretty awesome.

Riyadh is so modernized now, it's unbelievable. They're just competing to build the tallest and best looking buildings.

جوري
11-10-2012, 12:57 AM
I see.. I apologize for putting you on the spot.. I feel badly to have asked a personal Q so openly and it was too late to remove, you don't need to answer Q's of that nature. I have heard of how incredibly modernized it is now.. the only thing that I hate about the ME is the weather.. 20 minutes in the sun and I die, I get blisters from the sun and horrible burns- was really hoping I'd be able to make pilgrimage while it is still somewhat autumn(ish) but it didn't happen unfortunately :(

at any rate I guess back to cooking..

Mustafa2012
11-10-2012, 01:13 AM
It's ok. I chose to answer. It's no big deal.

Yeah the heat was always too much for me too. I mean most/all of Saudi is in the middle of a desert so it's to be expected. Fortunately :alhamd: I never had to spend too long in the heat as I was in an A/C building most of the time apart from entering, exiting work and some day time shopping trips.

Endymion
11-10-2012, 05:28 PM
I prepare "Afghani Kabab" for dinner today and my sis made the sweet "Suji ka Halwa" :statisfie

Sweet.

Kababs.

Dinner is ready :D

Marina-Aisha
11-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Any Nigerian dishes? I'm really bad at cookin but any tips would b great or simple dishes..

Endymion
11-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Have no idea about Nigerian food :hmm:

Marina-Aisha
11-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Or any simple dishes?im really bad I feel for my husband..I wanna do better

Endymion
11-10-2012, 06:12 PM
You can try Afghani Kabab if you like.Here is the recipe.

Ingredients.
1 kg Beef Mince
1 kg Tomatoes chopped
2 Onion chopped
1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp Black pepper
as required Oil
to taste Salt
For garnishing
1 bunch Fresh coriander chopped
4 Green chilies chopped
as required Lemon juice

Recipe Method

Take 1 kg beef mince, 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, salt and put it in chopper and make batter. Now take 1/2 tbsp of black pepper and 2 onions and mix it in batter and make kabab from batter and shallow fry it till it turns golden brown. Take a wok and put 1 kg tomato, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 tbsp of black pepper and salt and suate it and make a single batter.

Spread kababs on tomato gravy and cover it for 10 minutes.Garnish and serve.

Mustafa2012
11-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Those dishes look really good. Making me feel hungry.

:jz: for sharing the recipe. I am going to try it soon.

Endymion
11-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I am going to try it soon.
You can cook food :hmm: My brothers only eat :skeleton:

Subhanallah,such jewls live in my computer :hmm:

Mustafa2012
11-10-2012, 06:40 PM

You can cook food :hmm: My brothers only eat :skeleton:

Subhanallah,such jewls live in my computer :hmm:
I try. I have to since I don't have anyone to cook for me. Mom passed away some time ago.

Marina-Aisha
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanx sis I think I'll try it this week :)

Endymion
11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Inna lillahi wa inna ileyhi rajioon imsad.Im sorry to hear that brother.

sister herb
11-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I try. I have to since I don't have anyone to cook for me. Mom passed away some time ago.
Salam alaykum

Oh my dear brother...

Mustafa2012
11-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Thank you sisters. :jz:

I like experimenting with different types of food anyway.

It's nice to see pictures of real home cooked on here.

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
11-11-2012, 01:01 AM
This probably the best salad I've ever had, it's quite addictive. Even people who don't really fancy salads will like this, seriously. My 5 year old could eat it all day. The key is the dressing, I make the dressing sometimes and just dip raw broccoli in it :D it's really tasty! It's super easy to make, I usually make it on the days I don't feel like being over the stove. Like tonight lol.

Thai-Style Peanut-Cabbage Salad

Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Salad:
  • 1/4 pound green beans, blanched
  • 4 cups baby spinach (about 4 ounces)
  • 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 1/2 -- red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 2/3 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts, toasted if desired
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or mint
  • 1 -- (1-ounce) package roasted vegetable chips or sweet potato chips (such as Terra), lightly crushed

I
nstructions:

To prepare dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously.
To prepare salad, place beans and next 4 ingredients (beans through bell pepper) in a large bowl. Just before serving, drizzle about two-thirds of dressing over salad; toss to coat well. Sprinkle with peanuts, herbs and vegetable chips. Serve with remaining dressing.

- cOsMiC

Mustafa2012
11-11-2012, 06:54 PM
That's a nice looking salad sister. Might have to try it out one day. :jz:

Has anyone got any nice soup recipes please? (with pictures if possible)

Abu Zainab
11-12-2012, 07:44 AM
^ Here's one for you Mustafa

This soup is not only tasty but also very healthy and satisfying. I always make it when I begin to feel a cold coming on or when I have a sore throat. The recipe is very simple as well.

Fry some chopped onions, a few cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of grated ginger in some olive oil. When you see the onions changing color add in a can of peeled tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped carrots and some water. After cooking for about 10 mins remove from heat and allow to cool down. Put the soup in a blender and make a fine puree. Reheat the soup and add in some spices (salt, pepper, coriander powder, red chili powder etc.). Your soup is ready to serve.

Mustafa2012
11-12-2012, 06:22 PM

That looks really simple. I didn't realize it could be so simple.

Thanks. I'll try it out.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zainab
^ Here's one for you Mustafa

This soup is not only tasty but also very healthy and satisfying. I always make it when I begin to feel a cold coming on or when I have a sore throat. The recipe is very simple as well.

Fry some chopped onions, a few cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of grated ginger in some olive oil. When you see the onions changing color add in a can of peeled tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped carrots and some water. After cooking for about 10 mins remove from heat and allow to cool down. Put the soup in a blender and make a fine puree. Reheat the soup and add in some spices (salt, pepper, coriander powder, red chili powder etc.). Your soup is ready to serve.

islamica
11-13-2012, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marina-Aisha
Or any simple dishes?im really bad I feel for my husband..I wanna do better
You should make daal or lentils, it's very very easy.

Lentils are a healthy and versatile food. They are also inexpensive, making them a great staple for anyone interested in healthy, frugal living. They are probably the fastest cooking of all the legume family, and they don’t require soaking making their preparation faster still. They are nutritious too. Rich in antioxidants, selenium, and B vitamins, all of which boost the immune system. Like the other pulses, they contain anti-carcinogenic phytochemicals. They are also packed with protein, high in iron and folate and very high in fiber, which is good for your digestive and heart health.

Lentils come in a variety of types, usually described by the color. Red lentils are by far the fastest cooking and are often used in Indian cuisine. However the green and brown varieties of lentils are more nutritious than than red variety.

Ingredients:

1 cup dried lentils
2 cups water
1/4 to 1/2 teas sea salt (to taste)

Instructions:
Rinse the lentils under running water and pick through them to remove any bits of soil or rocks. Add lentils and water to a saucepan (with a lid) and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and cover to let the lentils simmer, but leave the lid ajar a bit so that they don’t boil over. Check on them occasionally to make sure the water has not boiled down below the level of the lentils and add more as needed. When the lentils are tender and can easily be mashed with a fork, they are done. It usually takes about 30-45 minutes for them to cook (older lentils take longer to cook, so it’s best to just test them to decide when they are ready), or 20 minutes if using the split red lentils. Add salt in about the last 15 minutes of cooking time, so when you think the lentils are starting to get soft. Cooking often neutralizes the taste of the salt, so if you add it at the start you end up having to add more salt to get the same flavor.
When they are finished cooking, take the saucepan off the heat and cover tightly with the lid. Leave to sit for 5-10 minutes. The lentils will absorb more of the water making them juicier and more tender. It’s not essential to do this, but I really like the way they turn out when I do.

Makes about 4 cups cooked lentils.

Variations:

• Add some diced potatoes or sweet potatoes, they will cook in the same time it takes the lentils to cook. You’ll probably need to add more water to compensate for what the potatoes will absorb, but you can add it as needed while it’s cooking.
  • Add spices in addition to the salt. Curry powder, ground cumin, garlic, cayenne or chili powder, and cilantro all go really nicely with lentils.

The black ones on the very top are the easiest since you can cook them by themselves, other ones usually involve a combo of more than one type.

And you can add more or less water depending on how thick or watery you want it. Thicker usually goes better with bread and water better with rice.

Has anyone got any nice soup recipes please? (with pictures if possible)

While this is part of staple diet for SE Asians, it is eaten more so as soup by the Arabs. You can make it watery and enjoy it as soup as well.

جوري
11-13-2012, 01:27 AM
^^ nice :)

I made this sweet & sour stir fry today

in fact been making stir fry different recipes three days in a row.. I think the first one I tried was the best.. got it from youtube and it was the easiest and least complicated..

Mustafa2012
11-13-2012, 02:04 AM
Both the daal and stir-fry look good.

Thanks for the posting. :jz:

I've always wondered how authentic stir-fry is made. I've tried cooking Chinese food but can never get it to taste like they make it in the shops.

جوري
11-13-2012, 02:10 AM
follow this recipe it is sooooooooo easy and tastes much better than resturants. I sent some to my sis and my brother in law asked which shop we got it from and he couldn't believe I made it.. I substituted the sherry for vintage balsamic vinegar. I stopped eating out because I was always getting sick even in the fanciest and most expensive restaurants walhi imagine spending $90 on a microscopic meals only to beg the cab driver on the way home to take you to the emergency room instead..
I just don't trust people or their hands even if they claim it is Halal.

not sure why this lady fried the veggies separately I do the veggies one shot.
You can of course use beef or shrimp .. but this by far was the best recipe out of all three I tried..
:w:

islamica
11-13-2012, 02:22 AM
I just wanted to that that you can experiment with the daal and try different stuff. I've done mixed veggies and daal and even potatoes and daal and it came out pretty good.

Endymion
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Dinner today,"Smoked Beef" "Dhuaan Gosht" :D I made it a few days before and my mother loved it :statisfie Today,she asked me to prepare it again :D

Musaafirah
11-14-2012, 07:58 PM
When cooking daal, I find that if you add about a teaspoon of either ghee or butter just before you turn off the heat, makes it taste absolutely amazing.

Regarding using balsamic vinegar in sitr fries, I read somewhere it wasn't halal. Is this true?
I love stir fries, but I've never put vinegar in..

جوري
11-14-2012, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
I love stir fries, but I've never put vinegar in..
we grew up using vinegar all the time and was told that it is Halal.. I was always worried because the very word is french from sour wine vin aigre lols
but anyhow I found this for you:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8072242AAQeJKQ

Musaafirah
11-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Jazakillah sis,
I was just getting slighlty confuzzled, as I had read in various sites that the use of balsamic vinegar was not permissible due to trace alcohol presence, but then other places state that it's not a majority haraam component, but then got the gist that it is halaal.
So yeah, very confuzzled.
Apparently it's tasty drizzled on pizza.

جوري
11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I use all kinds of vinegar to be quite honest not just balsamic but yeah it is awesome .. the more aged the better.. like cheese, and I have a maddening craving for cheese all the time.. I try to avoid certain foods anyway because I don't want to gain weight but certain items if I start eating them I'll never stop :p

Musaafirah
11-14-2012, 08:30 PM
I loves all kinds of cheese!
Camembert with cranberry, mozzarella, cheddar and these:

جوري
11-14-2012, 08:37 PM
I have such a weakness for chocolate & cheese :( but I am trying to turn my body into a well oiled machine not gross with man muscles but in shape for an impending war against Muslims and once I start on either of those I can'T stop.. one night I kept saying one more just a little nibble more of this chocolate box I received as a gift and I finished the whole thing in one night =( all zillions calories of them lol
so I try not to buy things that I know I have an addiction to and I am certainly not appreciating you listing for me all the possibilities.. right now I just have this laughing cow at 35 calories a wedge and some aged cheese we call jubn rumi it has cracked peppers and I think I finished that in two days but keeping a couple more slices. It is hard aged cheese and probably one of my fav.. but to be honest I don't recall a cheese I didn't like except one which I have a feeling was the restaurant's fault and not the cheese itself..

Musaafirah
11-14-2012, 08:57 PM
^^LOL!
I always say I want to lose weight. Masha'allah I'm not overweight, I would just like to feel healthier, walking up 8 flights of stairs at work has me floored though!
Food is a weakness of mine and I know we should not be glutinous or overeat, but I loves my crisps (you'd call them chips I think) and my chocolate.
Have you ever tried eating chocolate, then chilli, then chocolate, then chilli then chocolate again? You can buy chilli chocolate, but I care not for them. I like them separate, much more yummo and crunchy.
Sorry for going on. :exhausted

جوري
11-14-2012, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
You can buy chilli chocolate
I have tried that combo and I promise you every combo there is on earth sans the alcoholic ones I think my personal favorite is orange chocolate.. one time I was taking this 18 hour exam over two days and I had made me a thermos of coffee and brought those orange chocolate squares and I was having the most amazing moment on a most difficult day right there on the stairs.. :p
glad I did that for myself al7mdullilah...
I am looking at an emergency bar right now across from me but I'll have to refrain.
At any rate what's more important than not being overweight is being in good shape.. Yeah keep with the stairs in shaa Allah it is an excellent thing type of exercise.. and it is the one I do aside from swimming. Sometimes I take 5lbs weights with me and just do that too while climbing..

Mustafa2012
11-14-2012, 11:55 PM

As stated earlier this week, I decided to try out sister Shadin's recommendation on the stir fry recipe from Youtube.

I'll let you judge for yourself...

Scene 1: A masterpiece in the making?

Scene 2: Out of the cooking pot and onto the plate

Scene 3: In the dining room ready to eat!

This little experiment was quite interesting.

As you can see it looks nowhere near as good as Shadin's. :ma:

I used chicken instead of sea-food which is why it looks slightly different.

But it's still the best tasting stir fry I've ever made to date. :alhamd: I think the vinegar definitely adds a special flavor to it. I've always been wary of using vinegar but after I read an opinion by an american Muslim food consumer group posted by sister harb recently, I decided to try it.

As far as looks go, I don't know where I went wrong. I did everything the same except use corn starch. Oh and I used apple vinegar instead of balsamic vinegar because I read somewhere on this thread on a post by sister Harb that balsamic vinegar is not halal.

Next time I'll try malt vinegar maybe?

It's just as well that men don't have to do the cooking when they get married or else it would be a complete disaster.

Anyway :jz: again for the recipe sis.

I'm having it right now!

جوري
11-15-2012, 12:23 AM
It's just as well that men don't have to do the cooking when they get married or else it would be a complete disaster.
That can be a fun activity to do together..
it is very good ma shaa Allah.. did you use soy sauce and oyster sauce? the corn starch is what thickens the sauces and brings out the rich full flavor. I don't think vinegar is Haram in general from what I read so long as it doesn't say wine on it, but Allah swt knows best it is indeed best to stay away from doubtful matters. But we have vinegars in all the Muslim countries I visited and think if none of them were compliant at least Saudi Arabia would be and I lived there for four years..

how did it taste by the way?

Mustafa2012
11-15-2012, 12:56 AM

That can be a fun activity to do together..
it is very good ma shaa Allah.. did you use soy sauce and oyster sauce? the corn starch is what thickens the sauces and brings out the rich full flavor. I don't think vinegar is Haram in general from what I read so long as it doesn't say wine on it, but Allah swt knows best it is indeed best to stay away from doubtful matters. But we have vinegars in all the Muslim countries I visited and think if none of them were compliant at least Saudi Arabia would be and I lived there for four years..

how did it taste by the way?
Sorry let me re-phrase that... I meant to say, It's just as well that men don't have to do all the cooking when they get married...

Of course, it can be a "fun" activity to do together, on the husband's days off.

I used soy sauce but no oyster sauce as I don't like it.

The only thing I didn't use was corn starch as I couldn't find it in the supermarket and those leeks. I just used half an onion. I'll have to look around for the starch in other supermarkets.

It was still really nice. The vinegar really added a nice kick to it.

Re: the vinegar. Of course I know that pure vinegar is halal. The problem I've always had is figuring out which vinegar is pure as there are so many. Anyway I think that opinion from the Muslim food consumer group fixed it :alhamd: and :jz: to sister Harb for posting it.

:jz: again for the recipe. Please do post any other good recipes you know of.

جوري
11-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Sorry let me re-phrase that... I meant to say, It's just as well that men don't have to do all the cooking when they get married...
:haha: diplomacy will take you everywhere!!!!!!!!!

again for the recipe. Please do post any other good recipes you know of.

Baraka Allah feek.. believe it or not I am just learning myself.. I was lucky in grad school I had a roommate who was an excellent cook, she made me all sorts of Indian delights but I had heartburn often because she liked to spice everything up.
Whenever I find something exceptional I'll post it in shaa Allah..
I tend to make alot of pumpkin based recipes (which I don't think are popular outside the U.S and I like pastries and creme brulee so I concentrate on those unless it is a very easy meal to make. .. I don't do the stuff that my mom makes which takes all day, all those pressure cooker stuff. I can't be bothered and I don't like things that stew forever the flavors become muddled and I like things a bit on the raw side.

Next good recipe I'll share in shaa Allah..
I also make an excellent chicken pot pie but it is very fattening =( so that happens once a year hehe

جوري
11-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I made these today:

here's the recipe:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/externa...ars-Allrecipes

I didn't use raspberry but used figs we like fig jams more than raspberry but raspberry would make it more tart for sure.. this tastes amazing with coffee..

:w:

Endymion
11-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Nummy i'm gonna apply for American Visa,can't stay away of this tasty looking sweet :playing:

Endymion
11-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Writing a recipe is the boredest part but on popular demand,here's the recipe of Dhuaan gosht/Smoked Meat (Yawn).

Ingredients.(For 1st step)
Bone less Beaf/Mutton.1 kg
Yoghurt.1/2 kg
(White Cumin seeds-2 tsp,whole coriander seeds dried-2 tsp,dried round red chilli-8 to 12 or according to taste.Roast all 3 on slow flame and grind to make powder)
Garlic ginger paste.2tsp
All spices (Garam masala).1/2 tea spoon.
Oil.For cooking.
Salt.1 1/2 tea spoon or according to taste.
Note.You can use any BBQ packet masala available in market if you want.If you are not a red chilli fan,you can use green chilli instead or black pepper,smoked meat won't mind :statisfie )

Ingredients for step 2.
Onion.2 medium sliced.
Capcicum.1 large cubed (if you like,not necessary)
A medium piece of coal.

Recipe.
Mix all the spices of step 1 in yoghurt and marinate the meat in it and leave for an hour.Heat oil in a large pan and add the meat and cook till tender.Cook until oil separates.Now add onion and capcicum and mix it well.Burn the piece of coal till red, put it in a plate or a piece of bread,place it above the meat,pour a few drops of oil and cover the pan.Remove cover after 5 minutes,garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve :statisfie

Oh plsssssssssss do ukhty I'll ambush you in the airport =)
Lets see if they give me the visa for this reason :hmm: i better take a pic of those yummy looking bars to let them know how important the issue actually is :p

islamica
11-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Is that similar to this :P

Endymion
11-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Similar to what sis :unsure:

Guess you are talking about the scene when it was finished,yup,it disappeared like it was never there :hmm:

جوري
11-17-2012, 09:14 PM
just made this.. well made it in the morning but now it has been chilled and ready to eat..

Hulk
11-17-2012, 10:48 PM
I was just thinking about making cheese cake just now but i remembered that i accidentally destroyed my kitchen scale when i dropped it in some water.
that looks good sis, it looks much bigger/thicker than I usually imagine a cheesecake would look like but i imagine it tastes good and moist. but where is the recipe? :o

جوري
11-17-2012, 10:54 PM
what kind of cheese cake would you like to make first and I'll give you the recipe? the above is almond cheese cake, last time I made pumpkin cheesecake .. I am a sort of pumpkin fanatic..

Hulk
11-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Wow pumpkin?! I don't have any pumpkin around here :( what's the simplest recipe sis lol, I want to make one where I don't have to climb mountains to find the ingredients. Just the simple basics is good. Do share you cheesy goodness secrets!

جوري
11-17-2012, 11:56 PM
cheesecake is one of the simplest things to make ever and for some reason costs a fortune at the store. in fact you can find many 'no bake' cheese cake recipes..
however follow this simple formula

I'd say the graham cracker crust is the best thing, today I vented out all my anger in 30 seconds. I put the graham crackers in a bag and took the meat tenderizer and beat the crap out of them, I added three table spoons brown sugar and 1/4 cup butter to bind it, baked that for ten minutes while I worked on the filling, I added almond paste to mine, you can get very creative and it never comes out bad.. I also bruleed the top if you have a torch you can take some sugar and torch but some people don't like carmel ..
bake for one hour and chill for five.. I had this incredible pan from amazon where it comes loose, made in Germany too.. can't be bothered with chinese stuff :nervous:

enjoyyyyyyyy

Hulk
11-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Oh boy that looks fantastic. Can't wait to try it, having the house to myself makes it even easier cause no one will ask "what are u doing??????" hehehehe thanks!

جوري
11-18-2012, 12:08 AM
don't bother with the water bath thing but definitely get that pan.. it is easy from there, nothing more difficult than macaroons.. some recipes call for sour cream.. I usually have sour cream and buttermilk powder they come in handy you'll never need to run out to the store.. but the pumpkin one is my personal favorite..
pumpkin anything is my personal favorite.. gingerbread stuff too
I went up from 121 lbs to 127 so I have to watch it for some reason I wake up so hungry now a adays :(

Hulk
11-18-2012, 12:17 AM
;D i know that feel. I ate more than usual during a few days holiday last week and it was hard going back to my regular portions as I sort of got used to the bigger ones. I'm about back to normal habits now, but I can't wait to try this baby lol. I actually held a block of cream cheese the otherday at the supermarket, thinking about making cheesecake then I realised I had no idea how to make it lol. Perhaps now I'll head back there and get cracking. I'm still fascinated by them macarons but I'm glad cheesecake(something i like more) turns out to be much simpler to make :shade:

جوري
11-18-2012, 12:24 AM
it is it is indeed.. I really have to stop those raids to the fridge.. I am sad about this 6 lbs weight gain, will take like 6 weeks to rid of them that's if I am disciplined..
it is good to have cream cheese on hand for many things.. it is nice and mild flavored and cooling with cucumbers on baguette.. but then again, I don't recall a cheese I didn't enjoy in the right type setting lol
I got so unsubscribe from this thread and curb on my eating honestly it is like 500 calories already by breakfast :hmm:

Endymion
11-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Fried fish today :D

Step 1.(You need some fish) :statisfie

Add Spices.

Fry and serve :D

I prepared tomato flowers to decorate it :D

Hulk
11-18-2012, 02:52 PM
good looking salmon steaks.. ive been defrosting a salmon filet in my fridge for the last few days honestly i dont feel like cooking it anymore not sure what to do with it now.

Endymion
11-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Serve them to your cat they dont mind eating uncooked fish ;D

Well,i don't think you wanna prepare it with Pakistani style being lazy as we used too many spices :hmm:

Paprika
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Add Spices.

Ok, no offence, but this looks just yuck.....+o(
A waste of good feesh.

islamica
11-19-2012, 01:56 PM
good looking salmon steaks.. ive been defrosting a salmon filet in my fridge for the last few days honestly i dont feel like cooking it anymore not sure what to do with it now.
In that case you should bake it, very easy and lazy way to do it. many recipes available online, here's one.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-bake...-fillets-53065

Periwinkle18
11-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Add Spices.

Told ya it wasn't Nemo :p

Looks yummy :)

Endymion
11-19-2012, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Paprika
Ok, no offence, but this looks just yuck.....+o(
A waste of good feesh.
Really :D Im gonna post these pics on your profile so you'll yuck more agagagagaaaaa...

جوري
11-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Ok, no offence, but this looks just yuck.....
A waste of good feesh.
I get this same feeling when I see your SN

best,

Endymion
11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Sweet today.I prepared Suji ka laddoo (Sweet Semolina balls) for the first time.Here how it goes :statisfie

Followed this recipe.
http://www.monsoonspice.com/2011/10/...-ka-laddu.html

جوري
11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
^^ nyum nyum... I just had a 'power breakfast' but still hungry.. just had a political fight with my dad too, they take all my energy out so time for some sweets lol

Endymion
11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Trust me i was thinking of you while making those if you look carefully,you'll find your name on 1 or 2 :p

:wub:

Edit:In spite of you cut cheese cake slices for Insaanah and Abdul Latif only :hmm: ^o) :skeleton:

Paprika
11-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Sweet today.I prepared Suji ka laddoo (Sweet Semolina balls) for the first time.Here how it goes :statisfie

Followed this recipe.
http://www.monsoonspice.com/2011/10/...-ka-laddu.html
Whats the jelly like things stuck on top?? Is it raisins??
Not fair, this is favouritism, some have a whole lot whilst other have only one or none.^o)

Hulk
11-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Those look magnificent sis.. I went to the supermarket and look at the cream cheese nutri data and realise I had to buy quite a bit of it and other stuff to make my plan come true. Unfortunately I'm not in a position where i can spend that much so I went to the frozen processed food section and bought 10 lamb burger patties lol. Ate 5 of them, don't worry it fits into my daily caloric/macronutrient intake goal!

جوري
11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Edit:In spite of you cut cheese cake slices for Insaanah and Abdul Latif only
You know Abd'Al-Latif was a last minute addition for coming in like a relaxed soldier and saving the day with his index finger.. but all my sweets are for you my sweet lols..

br. Hulk you know you can make 'mini cheese cakes' it is all on youtube you don't have to buy a whole bunch and make a particular recipe. You can make them in cupcake pan also they have cupcake pans where the bottom comes off so you don't have to buy more than a 12 ounce package and you the other ingredients whether sweetened condensed milk or chocolate or whatever will make it substantial!

Hulk
11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Sis شادن why didn't I think of that lol. ;D

Oh boy now my excitement has returned. Will update you guys when I do it, I would do it tomorrow but my parents just came back with a whole bunch of food so will probably have to wait for a day or two ;)

Caloric surplus here I come!

Endymion
11-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Whats the jelly like things stuck on top?? Is it raisins??
Not fair, this is favouritism, some have a whole lot whilst other have only one or none.^o)
Yup,these are raisins and no matter if some doesn't have them on their faces,they have them along with almonds in their bellies :statisfie

And what if they doesn't even have one,laddoo can't complain i believe :D

You know Abd'Al-Latif was a last minute addition for coming in like a relaxed soldier and saving the day with his index finger.. but all my sweets are for you my sweet lols..
Gee in this case,i don't care about the cake the chef is all mine :D

جوري
11-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Gee in this case,i don't care about the cake the chef is all mine
The cake and the chef too lols..
today I was thinking of making pistachio puff pastry but don't feel enough energy to do anything..

sister herb
11-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Finnish "Nekku"

100 ml whipping cream
100 ml single cream
200 ml sugar
200 ml (dark) molasse
1 tablespoon butter
100 ml almond (crushed) - you can leave it away if you like

Mix creams, sugar and molasse in the pan, stiring it all the time. It can boil strongly 30 minutes. It is ready when you drop it a little to cold water and it stiffen and you can roll from it a ball.
Add butter (and crushed almond). Stir carefully.
Share to little paper flows.
Let to harden in cold and dry place over night.

imagephp?srchttp3A2F2F3bpblogspotcom2F cznk  2mw902FUBmLO1FgpaI2FAAAAAAAAAWQ2FqX6nTiX8h5M2Fs400 2Fnekut&ampwidth254&ampheight175&ampcropyes -

جوري
11-26-2012, 04:00 PM
I bought juniper berries to cook duck breast, but was never able to get the ducks.. my dad used to hunt when he was very young in the old country and he said that wild ducks are best so bottom line is we won't be having ducks for a while.. does anyone know of a chicken recipe that uses juniper berries? one that is tried and true? :p

Hulk
11-26-2012, 04:28 PM
lol I don't have much duck eating experience but the ones I do are pretty good. but sorry sis I don't have a juniper berry based recipe for chicken ;D

I know I said I'll make cheesecake but at the moment I have to save my $ for other things so I bought a very cheap cheesecake lol. It was like 5 bucks which is equivalent to one block of cream cheese so I decided to buy this one at least for now. :statisfie

sister herb
11-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Juniper berries are traditionaly used here with game foods. I try to find some recipes for bird foods with are ok to chicken too...

sister herb
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Bird steak with juniper berries

1 kg breast of chicken (or some other bird)
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 dl (50 ml) wheat flour
2 bay leaf
3 dl (300 ml) sliced carrots
2 dl (200 ml) sliced onions
10 crushed black peppers
1 dl (100 ml) cream
butter/oil for frying

Stock:
1 litre water
salt
1 tablespoon juniper berries
1 dl (100 ml) sliced onions
2 stock cubes

Boil stock about half hour. Spice breasts of chicken by salt. Wet them in slightly whipped egg, roll in wheat flour and fry them light brown in the pan. Put them to pot, add spicies and vegetables and stock. Let them brew slowly on stove 30 to 45 minutes (that meat of bird is ready).
Sieve the stock, add cream and boil it short time that it becomes more thick (you can also add 1 tablespoon wheat flour to it).
Cut breasts pieces to plate with vegetables. Serve with stock.

Sorry my possible mistakes of translating. I try to find some more recipes soon.

sister herb
11-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I couldn´t resist to send this recipe as here is member called "Roasted Cashew" ;D

Honey Roasted Cashews

Ingredients:

1 lb. Cashews

2 tablespoons of Honey

1 1/2 tablespoons of real Maple Syrup

1 1/2 tablespoons of Unsalted Butter

1 teaspoon Salt

1 teaspoon Vanilla

1/4 tsp Cinnamon

2 tablespoons Sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil.

Measure out all ingredients and combine the honey, maple syrup and butter. Microwave until butter is melted {about 25-30 seconds}.

Then add salt, vanilla and cinnamon to the honey mixture and stir. Place cashews in a medium size bowl, pour the honey mixture over the nuts and toss.

When coated spread on the prepared cookie sheet {forming a single layer} and bake for 6 minutes.

Remove from oven, toss again and place back in the oven for 6 more minutes.

Remove and pour into a clean bowl, toss with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and a little salt to taste and let cool, stirring occasionally.

When completely cool pour into a glass jar with an air-tight lid.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Combine the honey, maple syrup and butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 25-30 seconds until butter is melted.

Add the salt, cinnamon and vanilla and stir.

Pour the honey/maple syrup mixture over the cashews and stir until completely coated.

Dump the coated nuts on to the lined baking sheet and spread out evenly. Bake for 6 minutes, remove and stir. Spread the cashews into another single layer and bake again for 6 minutes. The honey/maple glaze gets thick and sticky in the oven and coats the nuts as you toss them.

After being in the oven they should smell toasty and they should be a light golden brown.

Use the tin foil to pour the cashews into a different medium-size bowl. Toss with the 2 tablespoon sugar.

If you can resist the urge to unhinge your jaw and inhale them all, then I highly suggest letting them cool completely and store them in a glass jar with an airtight lid!

Be carefull there others; I might find you others too become "eatable"!

جوري
11-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Bird steak with juniper berries

1 kg breast of chicken (or some other bird)
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 dl (50 ml) wheat flour
2 bay leaf
3 dl (300 ml) sliced carrots
2 dl (200 ml) sliced onions
10 crushed black peppers
1 dl (100 ml) cream
butter/oil for frying

Stock:
1 litre water
salt
1 tablespoon juniper berries
1 dl (100 ml) sliced onions
2 stock cubes

Boil stock about half hour. Spice breasts of chicken by salt. Wet them in slightly whipped egg, roll in wheat flour and fry them light brown in the pan. Put them to pot, add spicies and vegetables and stock. Let them brew slowly on stove 30 to 45 minutes (that meat of bird is ready).
Sieve the stock, add cream and boil it short time that it becomes more thick (you can also add 1 tablespoon wheat flour to it).
Cut breasts pieces to plate with vegetables. Serve with stock.

Sorry my possible mistakes of translating. I try to find some more recipes soon.
you tried this? I think I ruined today's chicken.. I am afraid to taste it :hmm:
put Asian spices then threw in the berries in abundance :skeleton:

Hulk
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Wow you already made the chicken? PICS PLEASE

sister herb
11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Yes I made that food some years ago but from whole duck. It is naturally possible that what taste nice in here, might taste strange in some other place where people have used to different kind of flavors.

جوري
11-26-2012, 07:07 PM
I think I'll pass the pix on this one =(
I did make a nice pear watercress salad with candied pecans and Roquefort cheese, that one might make up for that disaster of the bird :skeleton:

sister herb
11-26-2012, 07:19 PM
I think I'll pass the pix on this one =(
I did make a nice pear watercress salad with candied pecans and Roquefort cheese, that one might make up for that disaster of the bird :skeleton:
consolingsmiley 1?1292867575 -

جوري
11-26-2012, 07:24 PM
^^ :haha: thanks I needed that

sister herb
11-26-2012, 08:55 PM
If you don´t want to sacrife another chicken for expirements... I have also different kind of recipes how to use juniper berries:

Juniper berry tea

2 tsp minced juniper berries
1 cinnamon stick
thin slice of fresh ginger
2 whole cloves
1 tsp dry orange peel
2 tsp peppermint

Simmer ingredients 10 minutes in hot water. Add sugar or honey if you like.

p.s. Remember that juniper might cause allergy, not use it too often, it is not good during pregnancy and not to those whose have kidney problems.

sister herb
11-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Milk chocolate nut fudge

200 g milk chocolate
3 dl (300 ml) whipped cream
3 dl (300 ml) sugar
3 tablespoon honey
50 g butter
1,5 dl (150 ml) crushed hazelnuts

Crush milk chocolate.
Put cream and sugar to thick-based pan. Heat mixture until it will boils up. Add honey and butter.
Let it boils slowly until it will thicken and temperature is +116 degrees of Celsius. If you haven´t suitable thermometer, test as drop a little amount of it to cold water. If drops solifidy, mixture is ready.
Add crushed milk chocolate and hazelnut. Beat up few minutes.
Pour it to pan (18 x 18 cm) covered by greaseproof paper. Put it to fridge until it is solidify.
Cut by sharp, oiled knife pieces like 2 x 2 cm. Keep in fridge.

p.s. Don´t forget to brush your teeth after these or you will make some dentist rich...

جوري
11-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Not sure the Juniper berries tasted like anything.. I think the Asian spices perhaps overpowered it. I put one in my mouth just to see what it tasted like and I couldn't make out anything, tasted like the rest of the stuff with the chicken. Not sure why I was afraid to eat it right out of the box.. but I kept thinking it would be like my first cranberry experience. I took a handful put em in my mouth one shot and gaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh:skeleton:

sister herb
11-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Sorry that I am laughing here to your gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...

teehee2smiley 1?1292867687 -

islamica
11-27-2012, 12:36 AM
I haven't made this yet but figured I share if anyone wants a go at it.

Spicy Macaroni Recipe

This recipe is from my sister’s (Suja’s) kitchen. She made this spicy macroni for her 4 years old son.
It’s no secret kids love Macaroni & Cheese like it’s the next best thing to chocolate. But, how do we get them to eat veggies. My sis tricks my nephew by adding a lot of vegetables and spicing up the Macaroni and creating this tasty dish.
Spicy Macaroni is very easy to make and it can be made for dinner or even as an evening snack.
Ingredients:

• Oil : 2 tbsp
  • Onion : 1
  • Tomato : 1
  • Green chilies : 3-4 (according to your spice level)
  • Garlic : 3 (chopped)
  • Ginger : 1tsp (chopped)
  • Garam masala : 1 tbsp
  • Maggi masala Powder : 1 tbsp(optional)
  • salt : required to taste
  • Vegetables: 1 cup(I’ve added bell pepper, green peas and carrots)
  • Macroni : 1 cup

Method of Preparation :
1. Boil the vegetables in a separate pan drain them and keep them aside.
2. Boil the Macaroni with a tbsp of oil. Wash it in cold water and keep them aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan add onions fry them till it becomes translucent.
4. After that add green chilies,chopped garlic and ginger mix it all well cook them for 2-3 mins.
5. Then add salt and tomatoes, cook them till tomatoes get mashed.
6. Add a tbsp of garam masala fry them till the raw smell goes off.
7. And if you have maggi masala powder you can substitute it instead of garam masala, it tastesreally good.
8. Now add the boiled vegetbles and macroni mix it all together gently without breaking the macroni and let it stand on the simmer heat for 4-5 minutes.
9. After that remove from heat and serve it hot.

http://www.spicytasty.com/veggie-ent...caroni-recipe/

Paprika
11-27-2012, 08:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamica
Mmmmmmmammmaaa miaaaaaa, now that is something I can dive into nose first. Thank goodness I am not fasting.

Endymion
11-27-2012, 12:49 PM

He commit suicide

we just wanted you to change not that you leave us like that,brother Roasty

Be carefull there others; I might find you others too become "eatable"!

But .. but we are your brothers and sisters after all

Hey Sister Harb,any recipe that includes Paprika :D

جوري
11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Hey Sister Harb,any recipe that includes Paprika
I chocked on a water cracker when I read this one bwahahaha..
;D

sister herb
11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Hmmmm... Paprika... Let´s see...

BELL PEPPER AND BEEF STEW

5 (or more) large red bell peppers
1 kg braising steak of beef (top round or rump)
800 g onions
8 garlic cloves
500 g tomato puree ("passata")
300 - 500 ml beef stock
6 allspice berries
4 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
(dash of salt)
(paprika powder)

Roast the bell peppers in oven and peel them, see the instructions here:

Rinse and dry the peppers. Cut them in half lengthwise and remove the stems, seeds and the white membrane from inside.

Place the halves cut side down on a lightly oiled wire rack placed over an oven pan, or on a baking sheet covered with lightly oiled foil.

Roast the pepper halves in oven at 250 °C for 15 minutes or until brownish-black specks appear on their surface. If you want the pepper flesh to remain firmer, broil the halves under grill for 5 - 10 minutes or until brownish-black specks appear on their surface.

Remove the peppers from the oven and gently place them in a (glass)bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes. Peel the peppers. The steam building inside the bowl will help to loosen the skin from the flesh.

Cut the skinned pepper flesh in strips or puree it. Serve the peppers as an accompaniment for various meat and vegetable dishes, as a filling in pies, a topping on pizzas or added to soups.

---------------------------------------------------

Cut the pepper halves in 4 to 6 smaller pieces. A quicker and easier method is to just thinly peel the raw peppers, using a sharp vegetable peeler.

Cut the meat in cubes (about 2 cm × 2 cm or 3 cm × 3 cm) and briefly brown in frying pan on high heat. Transfer the meat in an oven pan.

Peel the onions, cut in large chunks and briefly brown them, tossing in frying pan on high heat. Set aside. Peel the garlic cloves and split in half lengthwise.

Add all the vegetables into the oven pan on top of the meat. Add the spices. Pour over the stock and the tomato puree. Cover the pan with a lid or foil and bake at 150 °C for 1 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.

Serve the stew with smetana, crème fraîche or sour cream and fresh baguette.

CHEESE BAGUETTES

about 290 g flour (or more)
200 ml water
15 g fresh yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
for brushing and topping:
milk
grated sharp Emmental or Cheddar cheese (or both)
Use a heavy-duty tabletop mixer fitted with a dough hook to prepare the dough. Pour the flour in the mixer bowl, add the cold water and the crumbled yeast.

Knead the dough for 13 minutes, you may need to add some more flour. Add the sugar and the salt and knead for 2 minutes more. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until doubled in size.

Knead the dough by hand on work surface and let it rest for 5 - 6 minutes to relax the gluten. Form the dough into two long and narrow cylindrical loaves — baguettes. Sprinkle some flour on the surface of the loaves, cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled in size.

Brush the loaves with milk and sprinkle generously with grated cheese. Bake at 200 °C for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the loaves are done and the cheese is golden and bubbly, but not too brown.

Place the loaves on a wire rack to cool, loosely covered with a towel. Serve warm.
Makes two narrow loaves.

Paprika
11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Hmmmm... Paprika... Let´s see...

BELL PEPPER AND BEEF STEW

I AM IN LOVE, I AM IN LOOOOOVE, I AM IN LOOOOOOVEEEEE:wub:

Pure Purple
11-28-2012, 12:11 PM
I love these kind of snacks.
PAPAD CHAAT

What You Need:

• Urad dal papads - 10 large
  • Oil - 2 teaspoons
  • Mustard seeds - � teaspoon
  • Asafoetida - a pinch
  • Onion, chopped - 1 large
  • Cucumber, seeded and chopped - 1 medium
  • Tomato, seeded and chopped - 1 medium
  • Fresh coriander leaves, chopped - 3 tablespoons
  • Chaat masala - 2 teaspoons
  • Lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
  • Red chilli garlic chutney - 1 teaspoon

Method:
  • Roast the papads on a tawa on low heat pressing lightly with a muslin cloth. When slightly cool, crush them into fine pieces with your hand, transfer into a bowl and set aside.
  • Heat the oil and temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida. Pour this onto the crushed papads and toss well.
  • Mix the onion, cucumber, tomato, half the coriander leaves, chaat masala, lemon juice and red chilli garlic chutney and toss with the papad mixture.
  • Garnish with the remaining coriander leaves and serve immediately.

Endymion
11-28-2012, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple
Asafoetida - a pinch
Keep this disgusting thing one mile away from the chat :heated: Its smell is just like the smell of my baby's shoes when he return from work +o(

Pure Purple
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Keep this disgusting thing one mile away from the chat Its smell is just like the smell of my baby's shoes when he return from work
Sister don't eat it at work place ,eat at home ,tea time snack.
Baby's shoe smells better than Wisdom tooth with cavity......bhawahhh I experienced it .

sister herb
11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
This hopely doesn´t smell as baby´s shoes...

Chocolate-vanilla bars

bottom:
90 g butter
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
pinch of vanilla sugar
1 egg
about 300 ml finely crushed Digestive biscuits (about 9 biscuits) (McVitie's, LU)
about 180 ml finely shredded, unsweetened desiccated coconut
about 90 ml chopped walnuts or pecan nuts

vanilla topping:
3 tbsp butter
about 2 tbsp milk
5 - 6 tsp vanilla sugar of top quality
about 300 ml icing sugar

chocolate icing:
90 g sweet or semisweet dark chocolate
15 g butter

For the bottom, mix the crushed biscuits, coconut and nuts in a bowl and set aside. Melt the butter, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla sugar in a bowl set over a hot water bath. Add the lightly whisked egg and gently heat and stir the mixture until melted, smooth and slightly thickened.

Stir in the dry ingredients. Pour the mixture in an unbuttered, small square or rectangular cake pan and press into a 2 - 2½ centimetres thick layer. Cover and refrigerate until cool and firm.

For the vanilla topping, combine the butter and the milk in a small saucepan and gently heat and stir until the butter has melted. Add the sugars through a sieve and stir until smooth.

The topping should be rather thick and stiff, so add some more icing sugar, if necessary, but not too much, since the mixture will further stiffen when refrigerated. If the topping is too thick, add some more milk. Spread the topping evenly on the cool cookie bottom, cover and refrigerate until firm.

For the chocolate icing, chop the chocolate, cut the butter in smaller pieces and place them in a small bowl over a hot (not boiling) water bath. Without stirring, let the chocolate and butter melt completely, then stir them gently until smooth.

Pour and spread the mixture evenly over the vanilla topping, working fast so that the chocolate will not set too quickly or mix with the vanilla topping underneath. Cover the pan and place in refrigerator until the chocolate layer is cool and firm. Cut the cake in rectangular bars and serve as a sweet snack or dessert with tea, coffee or ice-cold milk.

Periwinkle18
11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Ahh the chocolate vanilla bars look yummy!! :)

sister herb
12-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Here are a few recipes for plain and differently flavoured dark and lighter chocolate sauces suitable to be served with ice creams, parfaits, fruit salads and various other desserts.

FINE CHOCOLATE SAUCE

115 g semisweet dark chocolate
1 tbsp sugar
12 tbsp water
2 tbsp freshly brewed strong coffee
1 tbsp butter
(dash of vanilla sugar)
(1 - 2 tbsp cream)

Place chopped chocolate, sugar, water and coffee in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer the mixture on low heat for about 5 minutes or until it has thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter (and the vanilla sugar). Let the mixture cool down. Store the sauce in refrigerator. Before serving, mix in the cream, if you like.

Recipe source: "Chocolate sauce" by Burt Wolf, accessed 2003.

CHOCOLATE SAUCE WITH WHIPPED CREAM

2½ tbsp cocoa powder
50 ml sugar
50 ml water
(dash of vanilla sugar)
100 ml cream

Combine the cocoa powder, sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Let the mixture cool down (and add the vanilla sugar). Whip the cream until soft peaks form and fold into the chocolate sauce.

Recipe source: adapted from "Appelsiinit suklaakastikkeessa", Sarje, I., ed. (1964) Hyvää ruokaa. Helsinki: Tammi.

CHOCOLATE CUSTARD SAUCE

40 g sugar
12 g finely grated dark chocolate or cocoa powder
4 g flour
140 g (whole) milk
20 g egg yolk (about 1 large yolk)

Combine the sugar, chocolate (or cocoa powder) and flour in a small saucepan. Whisk together the milk and egg yolk and beat into the dry ingredients. Stirring constantly, simmer the mixture on low heat until it has thickened. Do not let it boil. Strain the sauce into a bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce to prevent it from forming a skin. Stir the sauce every now and then during cooling. Serve for example with filled profiteroles (miniature cream puffs), etc.

Recipe source: "Oreshki iz zavarnogo testa (profitroli) v shokoladnom souse", Lifshits, M. O. et al. (1955) Kulinariia. Moscow: Gostorgizdat.

SIMPLE CHOCOLATE SAUCE I

100 ml cocoa powder
100 ml sugar
100 ml water

Mix the sugar and cocoa powder in a small saucepan. Slowly add the water and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring frequently. Serve warm with ice cream or other desserts.

Recipe source: "Suklaakastike", YLE/Kartanokeitoksia: Wiurilan kartano, 2001.

SIMPLE CHOCOLATE SAUCE II

100 g sweet or semisweet dark chocolate
(whole) milk, light cream or cream

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and slowly stir in enough milk or cream to get a suitable consistency. Serve with ice creams or parfaits. For a less sweet sauce, use bittersweet chocolate.

Recipe source: adapted from "Suklaakastike", YLE/Kartanokeitoksia: Seestan kartano, 2001.

SIMPLE CHOCOLATE SAUCE III

100 ml cocoa powder
75 ml sugar
100 - 150 ml cream

Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer the mixture on low heat until it has thickened. Add some more cream, if necessary.

Recipe source: adapted from "Suklaakastike", YLE Teksti-TV/Ruokavihjeet.

COFFEE CHOCOLATE SAUCE

150 ml freshly brewed strong, hot coffee
50 ml honey
100 ml icing sugar
150 ml cocoa powder
1 - 2 tsp vanilla sugar
unsalted butter

Pour the hot coffee in a thick-bottomed saucepan, add the honey and stir until diluted. Add the icing sugar, vanilla sugar and cocoa powder through a sieve. Mix until smooth and gently heat the mixture. Do not let it boil. Take the pan off the heat and mix in a few small pats of butter, one at a time, beating with a whisk until well incorporated. Serve the sauce warm or chilled with ice cream, etc.

MINT CHOCOLATE SAUCE

50 g dark chocolate
25 g mint chocolate, peppermint patties (eg After Eight or homemade peppermint patties) or 2 - 3 drops peppermint oil *)
150 ml cream
25 ml sugar

Chop the dark chocolate, break the mint chocolates or peppermint patties in small pieces. Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring gently to the boil. Heat until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Simmer the mixture for a few minutes, or until it has thickened sufficiently, stirring constantly. If you are using peppermint oil, add it to the mixture after boiling.

*) Natural oil of peppermint (Mentha piperita). Only a couple of drops are needed to sufficiently flavour the sauce. In some countries peppermint oil is sold in pharmacies.

Recipe source: adapted from "Minttu-suklaakastike", YLE Teksti-TV/Ruokavihjeet.

ALMOND CHOCOLATE SAUCE

85 g semisweet dark chocolate
25 ml cream
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp almond flavor
(25 ml toasted, finely chopped almonds)

Place the chopped chocolate, cream and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently until melted. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the flavor (and the chopped almonds). Serve warm with ice cream, etc.

Recipe source: adapted from "Chocolate almond ice cream sauce", rec.food.cooking posting, 1993.

sister herb
12-02-2012, 12:01 PM
CHOCOLATE SYRUP

175 ml sugar
125 ml water
30 g cocoa powder
½ tsp vanilla sugar

Place the cocoa powder in bowl. In a saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water on low heat, stirring continually. After the sugar has melted, increase the heat and bring the syrup to the boil. Pour the hot syrup on the cocoa powder in thin stream and whisk until smooth.

Pour the mixture back in the saucepan and boil for 1 minute, beating continually. Pour the mixture in a bowl and let it cool. Season with vanilla sugar. Use as a sauce for desserts or to flavour milk, milk shakes and drinks. Store the syrup bottled in refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Recipe source: adapted from "Classic chocolate milk shake", Appétit, January/1996.

Endymion
12-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Special meal for a special friend :wub:

Chicken Vegetable biryoni and kheer (rice pudding).

sister herb
12-02-2012, 12:55 PM
^^ Recipes please.

sister herb
12-02-2012, 01:08 PM
JASMINE TEA SYRUP

100 ml freshly brewed, hot jasmine tea
100 ml sugar
Mix the sugar and the hot tea. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Chill the syrup and use it to flavour and to moisten sponge cakes, layer cakes, etc.

Store the syrup refrigerated in a sealed glass bottle and use within a week. Instead of jasmine tea, you may use other flavoured teas of your choice.

COFFEE SYRUP

100 ml freshly brewed, hot espresso coffee
100 ml sugar

Mix the sugar and the hot coffee. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Chill the syrup and use it to sweeten and flavour milk shakes or other drinks or to moisten sponge cakes, layer cakes, etc.

Store the syrup refrigerated in a sealed glass bottle and use within a week.

Source: "Jade Garden" cocktail by Kevin Armstrong/Observer Food Monthly, May/2006.

Endymion
12-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Which one,dear :) If you want me write the recipe of Chicken Vegetable biryoni,you have to wait till tomorrow so i prepare myself to write all the veggies and spices used in this dish :exhausted

sister herb
12-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Both please. I don´t eat pictures, you know...

Endymion
12-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Ah,we have three members in our gang "Say NO to picture food" but no one is there to bring real food instead of pictures,how disappointing :hmm:

sister herb
12-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Send me your address by pm, then I might send you some yummy cookies.

Endymion
12-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Ermm just cookies :hmm: :hiding:

sister herb
12-02-2012, 02:17 PM
You know... distances... and mail is not as fast than email. It needs to be something dry what to send.

^o)

Hulk
12-02-2012, 02:36 PM
i had a lot today alhamdulillah!no cookies though, just chicken chicken and a little bit of chicken!

marwen
12-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know this food ? (I guess some arabs here know it).

It doesn't look very appealing, but believe me it is a very very delicious meal.

It's called Meloukhia (ملوخية) [lat. Corchorus Olitorius].
It's a plant which looks like that :

Then it's dried and crushed until it becomes a powder like this :

Then it's boiled in whater with some oil, spices, and some meat if you want. Then it's stirred for more than an hour until it becomes viscous.

It's served like this, ad you eat it with bread :

sister herb
12-02-2012, 03:36 PM
It looks as tasty as one Finnish food called Mämmi.

;D

marwen
12-02-2012, 03:40 PM
^ Is this chocolate ?

sister herb
12-02-2012, 04:17 PM
No chocolate, it is mämmi.

Mämmi is a very traditional Finnish Easter time dessert made from rye flour and malt. It has a brown and sticky appearance and as far as mämmi is concerned there are two types of people: those who love it; and those who hate it. There's no middle ground. If your Finnish host/friend/loved one offers you mämmi, try it. But remember that 50% of the Finnish population loathes the stuff and it's quite possible that you will too. It is perfectly acceptable to dislike mämmi (but not saunas) and the following rural legend shows how this controversial foodstuff has divided Finnish opinion.

Mämmi and the Foreign Relief Worker

Just after the Second World War a foreign relief worker was checking how Finns were getting along for food and so on. During Easter this foreigner ended up staying with a family on a small farm in the middle of nowhere ('the middle of nowhere' being a very common place in Finland during those days). The family had just finished the main course of their Easter meal, and there was only mämmi left on the table when the relief worker stepped in. He took a look around, saw the mämmi and rushed to his car and told the driver to drive to the nearest city as soon as possible. There he went straight to the telegraph office and send the following message to his headquarters.

Immediate food aid needed, people up here are eating something that has all ready been eaten once!

Lovers of mämmi naturally claim this story to be just a mämmi-haters' conspiracy which mocks a perfectly good Easter tradition, while the not so mämmi-friendly Finns are ready to swear with their hand on a Bible that this story is true.

How to Make Mämmi

Nowadays mämmi can be bought ready-made from any store during Easter and occasionally during other times of the year, too. Making mämmi isn't hard either; it just takes quite a lot of time.

Ingredients

5 bowls made out of birch bark*
3.5 litres of water
1kg of rye flour
1/4kg of malt, preferably rye malts
2 tablespoons of molasse
2 teaspoons of salt
2 tablespoons of orange peel

Method

Put 1.5 litres of water into a big kettle. Heat it to about 60° Celsius. Add rye flour and malt until you get a thin porridge. Keep stirring while adding the flour and malt. Stop stirring and cover the porridge with more rye flour and malt. Cover the kettle and leave it in a warm place for one hour to sweeten.

Stir the covering into the mixture and add one litre of hot water. Cover again with flour and malt and leave in a warm place for an hour. Again, mix the covering into the porridge, adding one litre of water and covering it with flour and malt. Once more let it sweeten for an hour. By now you should have used up all of the water, flour and malt.

Bring the porridge to a boil and add salt, orange peel and molasse. Boil for half an hour, stirring continuously. After boiling, whip the mämmi for a while before putting it into bowls that have been rinsed with cold water. Scatter some sugar on top and put into an oven (100-125° Celsius) for three hours.

Allow the mämmi to cool and serve together with sugar and cream.
--------
* If you can't find these, use normal pans.

Bon apetit!

جوري
12-02-2012, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
Does anyone know this food ? (I guess some arabs here know it).

It doesn't look very appealing, but believe me it is a very very delicious meal.

It's called Meloukhia (ملوخية) [lat. Corchorus Olitorius].
It's a plant which looks like that :

Then it's dried and crushed until it becomes a powder like this :

Then it's boiled in whater with some oil, spices, and some meat if you want. Then it's stirred for more than an hour until it becomes viscous.

It's served like this, ad you eat it with bread :
Egyptian molokhya doesn't look like that.. It is more soupy goes well with white rice or pita bread.. I have never made it but my mom makes it all the time

Hulk
12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
No chocolate, it is mämmi.
Hehe I once went to a restaurant and one of the things on the menu was "Halba". I don't know what it is so I asked the waiter "What is Halba?"

He replied "Halba is halba".

"oh ok"

sister herb
12-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Lemon curd

3 medium eggs or about 7 egg yolks
250 ml sugar
150 ml lemon juice
90 ml unsalted butter

Note: only use freshly squeezed, sieved lemon juice.

Break the eggs in a bowl, whisk them lightly and strain the mixture through a sieve. Add the sugar and the lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Do not beat.

Melt the butter in a saucepan on a very low heat. Preferably use a stainless steel pan. Place the pan with the melted butter inside a bigger saucepan, containing boiling hot water. Make sure that the bottom of the smaller pan is touching the boiling water.

Add the egg mixture to the butter in thin stream, beating continually with a whisk. Continue heating and beating until the mixture has thickened into custard, for about 5 - 7 minutes.

Strain the custard through a clean, fine sieve to remove any possible lumps of coagulated egg. Pour the hot custard in hot jars, sterilized with boiling water. Close the jars with hot, sterilized lids and let cool.

Serve lemon curd spread on toast, as filling in cakes, tarts or tartlets etc.
Makes about 400 - 500 ml lemon curd.

Recipe source: adapted from "Sitruunavoi — Lemon curd", Ihatsu, A. et al., ed. (1993) Otavan suuri keittokirja. Keuruu: Otava.

Abu Zainab
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Has anyone ever used an electric grill to cook steaks or chicken? Are these grills any good?

We have a regular charcoal grill but since the day my sister almost burned down our apartment building trying to ignite the thing we never use it at home. :exhausted

sister herb
12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I think electric grill is much more safe inside - some people here use it at the balcony. Here people use charcoal grill only outside, in the garden at summer.

Hulk
12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I have a george foreman grill and its pretty good but can be a hassle to clean an I hear it doesnt last long(doesnt last for years).

sister herb
12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Oven-dried tomatoes

cherry tomatoes (about 500 g)
5 - 6 tbsp olive oil
1 - 2 garlic cloves
1½ tsp dried basil
1½ tsp dried oregano
1½ tsp dried rosemary
1½ tsp dried thyme
1½ tsp dried chives
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper

Finely crush or grind the dried herbs in a mortar. You can substitute the herbs listed above with another ones, according to your taste. Press the garlic cloves through a garlic press and mix with the oil. Add the ground herbs and mix thoroughly.

Cut the rinsed and dried cherry tomatoes in half crosswise. If you are patient enough, remove the seeds from the tomatoes. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment. Place the tomato halves, cut-side up, on the wire rack. Sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper. Pour some oil mixture on every tomato.

Dry the tomatoes in cool oven (about 100 - 120 °C) for a few hours. When done, the tomatoes should be dryish and shrivelled, but still retain some moisture and softness.

Place the tomatoes in a clean jar and cover with olive oil. Seal with a lid and store in refrigerator. Serve the tomatoes to accompany various meat, vegetable or pasta dishes, added to salads or as a filling or topping on sandwiches.

Instead of cherry tomatoes, you can use regular sized tomatoes, only they will take a few hours longer to dry.

Recipe source: adapted from "Oven-dried tomatoes" by David Shalleck, WNED-TV/Michael Chiarello's Napa Casual Cooking, 2003.

Endymion
12-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Okay,so here i am writing the recipe

Chicken Vegetable Biryoni.

Ingredients.
Rice.1 kg
Chicken.1 kg
Onion.3 medium sliced.
Tomatoes.6 medium chopped.
Red chilli powder.2 tsp.
turmeric powder.1/2 tsp.
Al spices powder (garam masala).1/2 tsp
Coriander powder.1 tsp
Garlic ginger paste.2 table spoon.
green chilli.4 paste.
Cloves -3
Cardamom -1
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
Bayleaf -1
Salt.To taste.
Oil.As required.
Fresh mint leaves.half cup.
(Or you can use any biryoni masala available in market instead of the spices written above)

Vegetables.
Spring onion.1 cup chopped.
Carrot.2 large cubed.
Capcicum.1 cup cubed.
Pea beans.1 cup.
Cabbage.2 cups chopped.

Fry all the vegetables one by one in small oil and put them aside.

Method.
Boil rice with small amount of salt till they are half tender.Now drain water and put them in colander.
Take a large pan,fry onion till golden brown.Add garlic ginger and green chilli paste and fry for a few minutes.Now add tomatoes and all the spices written above and fry till tomatoes turn into gravy and seperates oil.Now add chicken and cook till tender and oil separates.

Now grease a large pan,make a layer of rice,then chicken and vegetable and then rice again.(Experts mix it after they are done but as im just Endy,not expert,i mix them well before heating them again so do it your way).Cover the pan tightly.Cook it on high flame for 3-5 minutes and then on slow flame for 10 minutes.Remove cover and see if they are done,then dish out and serve other wise give them some more time.
Chicken vegetable biryoni is ready :statisfie

Kheer.(Rice pudding)
Ingredients.
Rice.1/2 cup.
Milk.1 kg
Sugar.1 cup.
Cardamom.4
Almonds and pistachio chopped to taste and decorate.

Method.(Well.i prepare kheer with two methods im writing both for you)
Method 1.
Soak rice for 4 hours.grind them with small water or milk to make a fine paste.Boil milk and add cardamom and let it boil for 5 minutes.Now add rice paste and sugar and stir continuously till it turn thick.Now add some chopped almond and pistachio and remove cardamom.Let it chill.Dish out,decorate and serve.

Eh im so tired i'll write method 2 tomorrow in sha Allah,spare me :p

Endymion
12-03-2012, 05:33 PM
You know... distances... and mail is not as fast than email. It needs to be something dry what to send.

^o)
Chocolates can also travel that long,aren't they :p

sister herb
12-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Sure. Chocolate loves traveling.

;D

Hulk
12-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Bought chicken breast yesterday.

Slice it in half and cooked it. Sprinkled chilli powder, white pepper, some salt, I don't remember anything else lol. The chilli powder somehow melted and turned into a nice "saucy" texture.

The reason I sliced it in half is so that it will be thinner and cooks faster. I've had experiences in the past where I cook chicken and i thought it was cooked and when I bite into it it's pinky and stuff. Those experiences make me not want to cook chicken. But now I know I should slice them thinner, and also to test that it's fully cooked I should cut open the thickest part and see if its white or not. I know to you regular chefs this is probably common knowledge but not for noobie me hehe.

oh and the drizzle is dijon mustard

sister herb
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Looks yummy. :p Need to go shopping tomorrow...

sister herb
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Nougat with nuts
(Nougat blanc)

125 g honey
2 egg whites
125 g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar or essence
100 g blanched almonds
150 g mixed nuts — pistachios, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashew nuts etc

Spread the almonds (and other nuts, if using any) evenly on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and toast them in oven at 175 °C for 5 - 10 minutes or until they are very lightly browned. Set aside to cool.

Place the honey, sugar and egg whites in a thick-bottomed saucepan and stir until mixed. Cook the mixture over a very low heat, stirring continually, until it thickens and turns ivory white. This will take for about 20 minutes. Be very careful not to burn the mixture. It is best to mix it with a heat-resistant rubber spatula, constantly scraping the bottom of the pan with it, to prevent burning.

To test whether the nougat mixture has cooked sufficiently, drop a small amount of it into ice-cold water — if it immediately hardens, the nougat is done. Remove the saucepan from heat and quickly stir in the vanilla sugar or essence, the almonds and mixed nuts.

Cover the work surface with some icing sugar, pour the nougat on and quickly form it into a ball. Then press the nougat tightly into a small tin lined with lightly buttered parchment paper. Cover with another paper, place some weight on top and let cool completely. Cut the cold nougat into bars and store in tightly sealed jar.

~Zaria~
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zainab
Has anyone ever used an electric grill to cook steaks or chicken? Are these grills any good?

We have a regular charcoal grill but since the day my sister almost burned down our apartment building trying to ignite the thing we never use it at home. :exhausted

I have a george foreman grill and its pretty good but can be a hassle to clean an I hear it doesnt last long(doesnt last for years).
Ive had a George Foreman Grill in the past as well - it really is a worthy purchase. The grill is non-stick and is set at a decline - which means that food generally cooks in its own oils and excessive fats drain into a dish below.
Its quite amazing how much fat a burger/ sausage, etc contains - and usually people fry these items in additional oil!
You can even grill onions and veggies at the same time.

If its looked after well, then it does last many years (as did mine).
But I agree - cleaning up, can sometimes be a hassle.

sister herb
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Simple chocolate mousse

Since chocolate is the only flavour giving ingredient in this recipe, it is most important to use first class dark chocolate with a good, deep cocoa flavour.

100 g bittersweet chocolate with high cocoa content (min. 50 %)
1 egg
100 - 150 ml cream

Chop the chocolate and put in a bowl. Place the bowl in a barely simmering water bath but do not let its bottom touch the water. Let the chocolate melt.

Remove the bowl from the water bath, stir the chocolate smooth and let it cool for about 10 minutes in room temperature. Meanwhile, whip the cream until stiff.

Check the temperature of the cooled chocolate with your (clean!) finger — it should feel just faintly warm. Break in the egg and mix gently but firmly with a balloon whisk until smooth. The egg will thicken the mixture.

Using the balloon whisk, mix in about 1/3 of the whipped cream and stir firmly and thoroughly until smooth. Then fold in the rest of the cream, stirring gently with the whisk. Pour the mixture into serving dishes, cover tightly with plastic and place in refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Serves 2 to 4.

Ramadan90
12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
^^ That looks delicious!:statisfie

جوري
12-05-2012, 10:10 PM
What's a good egg substitute .. it is very hard to find an alternative that congeals the food well without eggs but I really dislike things that are eggy

Hulk
12-05-2012, 10:15 PM
What's a good egg substitute .. it is very hard to find an alternative that congeals the food well without eggs but I really dislike things that are egg
can't think of any ;D
Eggs are awesome, eggs are... EGGSELENT.

جوري
12-05-2012, 10:17 PM
don't get me wrong eggs can indeed be eggzelent .. just that i don't like em in my desert :p
I know there's no way around it in creme brulee but when a desert tastes eggy to me I get turned off fast..

sister herb
12-05-2012, 10:53 PM
don't get me wrong eggs can indeed be eggzelent .. just that i don't like em in my desert :p
I know there's no way around it in creme brulee but when a desert tastes eggy to me I get turned off fast..
Then you could try this:

Chocolate mousse without eggs
4 to 6 servings

100 g dark chocolate
300 ml cream
90 g sugar
30 g salted butter

Chop the chocolate and put it in a bowl
Put another bowl in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. Then whipp in it the cream.
In a pot cook the sugar until it caramelized (light brown). Remove the pot from fire and add it the butter with 2 tablespoons of whipped cream. Mix.
Pour the sugar on the chocolate in 3 times. Mix in between.
Add the cream to the melted chocolate when it is tepid and mix softly.
Pour the chocolate mousse in cups or glasses and keep in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Pure Purple
12-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Okay,so here i am writing the recipe

Chicken Vegetable Biryoni.

Ingredients.
Rice.1 kg
Chicken.1 kg
Onion.3 medium sliced.
Tomatoes.6 medium chopped.
Red chilli powder.2 tsp.
turmeric powder.1/2 tsp.
Al spices powder (garam masala).1/2 tsp
Coriander powder.1 tsp
Garlic ginger paste.2 table spoon.
green chilli.4 paste.
Cloves -3
Cardamom -1
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
Bayleaf -1
Salt.To taste.
Oil.As required.
Fresh mint leaves.half cup.
(Or you can use any biryoni masala available in market instead of the spices written above)

Vegetables.
Spring onion.1 cup chopped.
Carrot.2 large cubed.
Capcicum.1 cup cubed.
Pea beans.1 cup.
Cabbage.2 cups chopped.

Fry all the vegetables one by one in small oil and put them aside.

Method.
Boil rice with small amount of salt till they are half tender.Now drain water and put them in colander.
Take a large pan,fry onion till golden brown.Add garlic ginger and green chilli paste and fry for a few minutes.Now add tomatoes and all the spices written above and fry till tomatoes turn into gravy and seperates oil.Now add chicken and cook till tender and oil separates.

Now grease a large pan,make a layer of rice,then chicken and vegetable and then rice again.(Experts mix it after they are done but as im just Endy,not expert,i mix them well before heating them again so do it your way).Cover the pan tightly.Cook it on high flame for 3-5 minutes and then on slow flame for 10 minutes.Remove cover and see if they are done,then dish out and serve other wise give them some more time.
Chicken vegetable biryoni is ready

Kheer.(Rice pudding)
Ingredients.
Rice.1/2 cup.
Milk.1 kg
Sugar.1 cup.
Cardamom.4
Almonds and pistachio chopped to taste and decorate.

Method.(Well.i prepare kheer with two methods im writing both for you)
Method 1.
Soak rice for 4 hours.grind them with small water or milk to make a fine paste.Boil milk and add cardamom and let it boil for 5 minutes.Now add rice paste and sugar and stir continuously till it turn thick.Now add some chopped almond and pistachio and remove cardamom.Let it chill.Dish out,decorate and serve.

Eh im so tired i'll write method 2 tomorrow in sha Allah,spare me
Biryani without raita is incomplete.Please post raita recipe too : P

sister herb
12-06-2012, 07:01 PM
This cake must be very healthy, because of carrots top of it:

;D

Carrot cake

100 ml turnip rape, sunflower or corn oil
100 ml sugar
50 ml soft brown sugar (firmly packed)
1½ egg
200 ml very finely grated carrot (about 1½ - 2 large carrots)
50 g chopped walnuts
175 ml flour
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla sugar
icing:
75 g unsalted butter
95 g smooth cream cheese (eg "Philadelphia")
95 g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
(almond paste carrots for garnish*)

Beat the oil and sugars until well combined. Add the egg and continue beating until the mixture is smooth and somewhat fluffy. Mix in the grated carrots and the walnuts. Combine the rest of the dry ingredients and gently fold in the batter.

Butter the sides and the bottom of a small, round springform pan (Ø less than 16 centimetres). In addition, you may line the bottom of the pan with a circle of lightly buttered parchment paper. Pour the batter in the pan, smoothing out the surface.

Bake the cake at 175 °C in the lower part of the oven for about 40 - 55 minutes, or until a cake tester/toothpick inserted in the middle of it comes out clean. Remove the cake from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, prepare the icing.

Bring the butter to room temperature. Soften the cream cheese and mix with the butter until smooth. Add the vanilla sugar and beat the mixture, adding the icing sugar a little at a time. Beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Spread it evenly on top of the cake.

If you like, garnish the cake with miniature carrots made of almond paste dyed with orange and green food colouring.

Note: this recipe results in a rather small cake. If you like, you can easily double the recipe. Then use a slightly larger cake pan and double the amount of icing as well.

Recipe source: adapted from "Porkkanakakku", Helsingin Sanomat/Ruoka & Juoma, 2004, and "Classic carrot cake frosting" by food writer Nigel Slater/Observer Food Monthly, April/2005.

-------------------------------------------------------
* Marzipan Carrots

Marzipan carrots are easy to make, and look adorable on top of carrot cake or cupcakes! You can modify the recipe and vary the size of the carrots to suit your needs.
You can make your own marzipan, or purchase it from most large grocery stores. Marzipan most commonly comes in 7-ounce tubes (the quantity called for here) but you can use more or less depending on what you have available.

Ingredients:
•7 ounces (1 roll) marzipan
•Red and yellow food coloring
•Powdered sugar for dusting
•Edible sprigs of herbs for decoration (optional)

Preparation:

1. Coat your hands with powdered sugar, or wear plastic gloves.

2. Knead the marzipan until it has softened slightly. Flatten the marzipan into a disc, and add a few drops of red and yellow food coloring to the middle, using a ratio of 1 drop red to 2 drops yellow. Fold the marzipan into a ball and begin to knead the color throughout the dough, adding more food coloring if desired, working until the marzipan is one uniform color.

3. Roll the dough into small balls the size of a quarter. Roll the balls between your palms, elongating them into thin tubes and tapering one end, so that they are shaped like carrots.

4. Take a toothpick and, holding it perpendicular to the carrots, make horizontal indentations all along the length of the toothpick to create slight creases.

5. If desired, poke holes in the tops of the carrots, and insert the sprigs of herbs to be the carrot leaves.

6. Store marzipan carrots in an airtight container for up to two weeks, or freeze well-wrapped marzipan carrots for up to three months.

جوري
12-06-2012, 07:03 PM
turnip rape
I thought raping turnips was banned everywhere?

sister herb
12-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I thought raping turnips was banned everywhere?
Yes, they should be protected by law...

^o)

Periwinkle18
12-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Hot shots

Ingredients:

Chicken breast 1/2 kg cut into cubes
Marinate the chicken with:
Salt 1 tsp
B.pepper 1 tsp
paprika or red chilli powder 1 tsp
chinese salt 1tsp
mustard powder 1 tsp

chilli garlic sauce 2 tbsp

vinegar 1 tbsp

Batter:
Self raising flour 1 cup
Corn flour 2tbsp heaped
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
salt 1 tsp
chinese salt 1 tsp
paprika or red chilli powder 1 tsp
w. pepper powder 1 tsp
chilli sauce 1 tsp
milk to make the batter (cold preferred) 1 cup

Method:
Marinate chicken pieces for 1/2 hr. Dip it into the batter, roll it in self raising flour deep fry for 10 mins till golden brown n crisp.

sister herb
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Beef of Linstrom

1 lb freshly minced beef
4 egg yolks
4 tablespoons heavy cream
4 tablespoons finely chopped boiled potatoes
3 tablespoons finely chopped pickled beets or 3 tablespoons boiled beetroots
2 tablespoons grated onions
1 tablespoon capers
salt, white pepper
butter (for frying)

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients and make four nicely shaped, high burgers.

2. Fry them at once in lots of butter (they should not be made in advance).

3. They should be medium rare inside.

4. Serve the beefs with the butter they fried in and fried or mashed potatoes, fried onions, or on a toast.

5. You can also put a fried egg on top.

Endymion
12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Biryani without raita is incomplete.Please post raita recipe too : P
Aye aye Ma'm.Here you are :statisfie

Raita.
Ingredients.
Mint leaves.Quarter bunch.
Coriander leaves.Quarter bunch.
Cumin seeds.1/2 T sp.
Salt.1/2 T sp.
Yoghurt.1/2 kg
Garlic.1 piece.
Green chilli.2

Method.
Beat the yoghurt till its smooth and plain like cream.Blend all the spices above with the help of small amount of water and add this in yoghurt.Mix well.Raita is ready :statisfie

Today i made raita with pulao but wont be able to eat it coz of flu :skeleton:

Pure Purple
12-08-2012, 02:49 PM
^
:jz: sister,Interesting I never used mint leaves in raita,your raita is looking very yummmmy.............Next time I'll make like this.

Periwinkle18
12-08-2012, 03:24 PM
There r diff kinda of raita's :) some hav only black Pepper and zeera

Pure Purple
12-08-2012, 03:32 PM
yup,my raita's main ingredient is onion cut into small cubes.

sister herb
12-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I found about year ago this kind of recipe of raita:

Raita

Ingredients:

01.Yogurt 500gm
02. Salt
03. Black Pepper Powder
04. 5-6 cloves of Garlic.
05. Cucumber, one big in size.

however, if you just want to use it more easily, avoid cucumber.

Procedure:

01. take a bowl and put yogurt
02. add salt to taste and black pepper
03. crush garlic with garlic crusher and add to mix

so you can now use it in sandwiched, or even with fried rice or beside bread items to eat with gravy items, keep it in covered box for repeated eating.

04. you can slice cucumber and cut into small small pieces and add into the mixture.
but for cucumber, it can give rise to watery texture, so better consume immediately in one meal.

but if you dont mix cucumber, you can keep it for 2 days or more even and use repeatedly in diff meals.

Endymion
12-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Yup i tried these ones written above but i like the one i posted,its my mum's recipe actually :) You can have with with bread and simple rice as well.Also,its not necessary to use mint leaves and coriander leaves at the same time.You can use one at one time :)

sister herb
12-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes, our own mum´s recipes are always the best ones.

Pure Purple
12-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Yup i tried these ones written above but i like the one i posted,its my mum's recipe actually You can have with with bread and simple rice as well.Also,its not necessary to use mint leaves and coriander leaves at the same time.You can use one at one time
I never made this at home but when We order from hotel kebabs like chicken haryali kebab or pahadi kebab which usually consist of green spices they give rita which you have posted.

Chicken haryali

Pahadi kebab.

Mustafa2012
12-13-2012, 09:53 PM

So here are my latest attempts at cooking...

1. Stir-Fry Part 2 - This time I tried using ready made Chinese Curry Sauce. :alhamd: the veggies came out more crunchier this time (a bit too crunchy actually)

2. Char-grilled Mediterranean vegetables and Red Thai Curry stir fry. :alhamd: this was a success.

3. Red Thai Curry close up

4. Char-grilled Mediterranean vegetables close up

Instructions:

1. Pop down to your local supermarket
2. Choose your favorite cooking sauce.
3. Pick up some ready cut vegetables.
4. Heat some oil in a cooking pan.
5. Throw in veg for 5-10 min.
6. Throw in cooking sauce for 5-10 mins.
7. :ia: Serve and enjoy

(P.S. The above instructions only apply to bachelors. For married women, everything must be prepared fresh OK!)

sister herb
12-13-2012, 10:12 PM
(P.S. The above instructions only apply to bachelors. For married women, everything must be prepared fresh OK!)
OK OK! :haha:

Endymion
12-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Instructions:

1. Pop down to your local supermarket
2. Choose your favorite cooking sauce.
3. Pick up some ready cut vegetables.
4. Heat some oil in a cooking pan.
5. Throw in veg for 5-10 min.
6. Throw in cooking sauce for 5-10 mins.
7. Serve and enjoy

Subhanallah,dream instructions :hmm: But some bachelors are also bound to prepare everything fresh :exhausted

Endymion
12-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Okay its show time :D

I made dozens of kababs yesterday and im still tired :exhausted but i was in the mood to decorate the food so here is my effort.

sister herb
12-14-2012, 05:50 PM
^^ Looks nice. But send the repice too or you have to invite me to the meal.

Endymion
12-14-2012, 05:59 PM
You are invited with open arms,ma'm :D And if you manage to come right away,you can have some tasty chicken nuggets and Seekh kababs as well (not) made by me (but K&N's) :p

And will post the recipe tomorrow in sha Allah :statisfie

Mustafa2012
12-15-2012, 12:23 AM

I made dozens of kababs yesterday and im still tired :exhausted but i was in the mood to decorate the food so here is my effort.

Nice presentation :ma:but what are these?

Mustafa2012
12-15-2012, 12:26 AM

Subhanallah,dream instructions :hmm: But some bachelors are also bound to prepare everything fresh :exhausted
Ideally speaking, "Yes" but sometimes it's just not possible.

All depends on how much time there is left after work and other necessary duties.

Endymion
12-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Nice presentation :ma:but what are these?
Ahaha good question :skeleton:

These are called "Kebab's" brother :statisfie

Ideally speaking, "Yes" but sometimes it's just not possible.

All depends on how much time there is left after work and other necessary duties.
Sounds like you have never been to the country name Pakistan ^o) otherwise you'll know how Impossible change into Possible when it comes to food +o(

glo
12-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Oh, that looks tasty!
What are they made from? Are they spicy? What do you eat them with? :D

Endymion
12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Im really surprised to know there are still people on planet Earth who are unaware of Kebab :hmm: For their knowledge,the above creature is called "Kebab" and im in search of the person who invent them :raging:

Okay now,the recipe.

Ingredients.
Meat (Beef,Chicken,Mutton).1 kg boneless.
Gram pulse (Daal chana).1 cup.(Hopefully its called gram pulse or forgive my poor English if thats wrong :X )
(Soaked for 3 hours before cooking).
1 tsp. Cumin Seeds
10 Red Chilli Pods
4 Black Cardamoms
12 Black Pepper
8 cloves of Garlic
1" piece of Cinnamon Stick
1 small piece of Ginger Root (Adrak
Salt (to taste)
Oil. (as needed - for frying)

Ingredients for step 2.

1 bunch of Fresh Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
2 Egg (beaten)
1 bunch of Fresh Mint (finely chopped)
2 large Onion (finely chopped)
4 green chilli (finely chopped)

Method.

Note.If you are using Mutton or Beef,cook it with spices first until its half done and then add the lentil.
If you are using Chicken,boil them all at the same time.
Put the meat,pulse and all the spices written in ingredients for step 1 except oil in a large pan,add as much water which is enough for the meat to tender.There should be no amount of water left after meat and lentil is tender,if there is any,dry it on high flame.
Let it cool and then grind it in food processor.
Add the ingredients written for step 2 and knead it well.
Now take a small amount of kabab paste and make a ball.Now press it to flat and five it the round shape you can see in picture above.Heat oil,fry both sides till golden brown.Eat with Raita or ketchup.

Endymion
12-15-2012, 02:17 PM
What are they made from? Are they spicy? What do you eat them with?
All the questions have been answered :D

glo
12-15-2012, 02:22 PM

All the questions have been answered :D
Yes! Thank you!!

I will try to make them.
Is there a meat-free version? (I am asking because teenage daughter has become a vegetarian ... )

Endymion
12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Yes Ma'm you can simply replace 1 kg meat to 1/2 kg potatoes to please the little thing :statisfie

Edit:And oh,don't forget to decrease the amount of chillies and other spices :)

Insaanah
12-15-2012, 02:25 PM
^ :jz: for sharing the recipe. They look lovely and hope you enjoyed them.

The kebabs with daal (lentils) in them along with the meat are called shaami kebabs (شامی کباب) right? That's what we call them anyway, but been a long time since I had some.

This short wiki entry touches on their name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shami_kebab

Cabdullahi
12-15-2012, 02:28 PM
they look like felafels to me, you...you guys should've all went to specsavers.

This is felafel:

and this is kebab

No meat no kebab!

Mustafa2012
12-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Ahaha good question :skeleton:

These are called "Kebab's" brother :statisfie

Sounds like you have never been to the country name Pakistan ^o) otherwise you'll know how Impossible change into Possible when it comes to food +o(

Thank you for answering my question but there are so many different varieties of kebabs.

There's seekh kebab, shish kebab, chapli kebab, shami kebab, doner kebab, kebab kebab etc.

In the future it would be very helpful if you could say which type it is.

No offence but they looked like cakes or baigan (aubergine) fry to me. That's why I asked.

Anyway since you said they are kebabs and after looking at your recipe, my guess is that they are shaami kebabs right?

Mustafa2012
12-15-2012, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
they look like felafels to me, you...you guys should've all went to specsavers.

This is felafel:

and this is kebab

No meat no kebab!
Exactly brother. That's what I was thinking.

Never mind...

Pure Purple
12-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Edit:And oh,don't forget to decrease the amount of chillies and other spices
You eat very spices,I made chapli kebab used shaan chapli kebaba masla and on your advice I added extra green chilly ,It was very spicy.....:skeleton:

Pure Purple
12-15-2012, 03:04 PM
lots of kebab,
The winter season has started,somebody post gajar ka halwa:p

islamica
12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
lots of kebab,
The winter season has started,somebody post gajar ka halwa:p

Here you go! :D

Thank you for answering my question but there are so many different varieties of kebabs.

There's seekh kebab, shish kebab, chapli kebab, shami kebab, doner kebab, kebab kebab etc.
Kebabs come in many forms. Those kebabs were more of patties. Those type of patties can be either just plain veggies or the can be meat based.

In SE Asia, two type are more common. Here's the traditional chicken and beef one.

and here is the patty type.

Before:

after: how much meat you see (below vs endy's patty) depends on how much other stuff you mix in, like coriander, mint, spices, etc.

Mustafa2012
12-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Here you go! :D

Kebabs come in many forms. Those kebabs were more of patties. Those type of patties can be either just plain veggies or the can be meat based.

In SE Asia, two type are more common. Here's the traditional chicken and beef one.

and here is the patty type.

after: how much meat you see (below vs endy's patty) depends on how much other stuff you mix in, like coriander, mint, spices, etc.

Thanks for your reply sister.

But these patty kebabs look nothing like sister Endymion's kebabs. I can see the meat on these so they pass the kebab test.

But sister Endymion's "Kebabs" looked like they had some batter on them and looked very close to flat pakoras or baigan fry or even cakes.

islamica
12-16-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks for your reply sister.

But these patty kebabs look nothing like sister Endymion's kebabs. I can see the meat on these so they pass the kebab test.

But sister Endymion's "Kebabs" looked like they had some batter on them and looked very close to flat pakoras or baigan fry or even cakes.
As i said, it all depends on what and how much you put in it. These are more of meat patties where as hers were more of mixed meat with batter and other ingredients. Although i wouldn't call them kebabs, just tickian (patties) as that is how i've always known them. Kebab to me is anything that goes in a linear fashion whether it is one just one piece of meat like the minced beef in the last pick or any various of bite size meat cubes by themselves or with veggies in between.

sister herb
12-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Sweet Praline Bites covered in Chocolate

Ingredients:
•1/2 Cup of pecans, halved (plus about 12 to garnish)
•1/2 Cup of walnuts, in big enough pieces but not whole
•1/2 Cup of white sugar
•1/2 Cup of brown sugar
•1/4 Cup of heavy cream
•1 Teaspoon of hazelnut or vanilla extract
•1 Tablespoon of butter
•1/2 Cup of melted semi-sweet chocolate

Cooking instructions:
1.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2.In a small microwavable bowl, put your chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate) and microwave for 10 seconds at a time, mixing between each time, until the chocolate is completely melted. Set the chocolate aside.

3.In a deep pan, put your 1/2 cup fo pecans and 1/2 cup of walnuts, both sugars, cream, butter and extract and mix it a bit to blend the ingredients. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of your pan. Bring to a boil on medium high heat and swirl the pot from time to time but do not mix with spoon. Let the mixture boil until the thermometer shows 236 F degrees/150 C degrees (this will take about 6 minutes or so, maybe less).

Note: if you haven´t candy thermometer, drop it a little to cold water and when it stiffen, it is ready.

4.Remove the pan for the heat and with a wooden spoon, mix vigorously for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and the nuts are suspended in the mixture. The mixture should not be liquidy. Fill heaping spoons with the mixture and drop them on the parchment paper. Take the melted chocolate and drop a dollop on each bite. If you have fleur de sel, drop a few grains on each bite. Place a pecan (the ones you kept aside to garnish) on each of the bites. Chill for about 30 minutes or until they are set.

5.You can freeze them in an air tight container.

6.Enjoy!

Endymion
12-17-2012, 05:04 PM

In the future it would be very helpful if you could say which type it is.

No offence but they looked like cakes or baigan (aubergine) fry to me. That's why I asked.

Anyway since you said they are kebabs and after looking at your recipe, my guess is that they are shaami kebabs right?
:wa: brother.

My mistake Actually, we have these shami kebabs in our fridge almost all the time to serve the guests and we call them just kebab and everyone knows which type of kebab we are talking about.Other types speaks for themselves as they look quite different.

And no offense taken.But kebab might take offense if you compare them with began.

You eat very spices,I made chapli kebab used shaan chapli kebaba masla and on your advice I added extra green chilly ,It was very spicy.....:skeleton:
Woopss.. :giggling:
But i warned ya not to add extra chillies if you don't eat too much spices.But hopefully it saved your chutney :p

Good lord they look yummy :playing:

Endymion
12-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Im not good at baking,may be because i haven't tried it much and also,the only admirer of my baking,our previous maid Zulekha has been dismissed,i don't try it much but yesterday,i bake these peanut butter cookies and they turned out good :statisfie

This time you don't have to wait for the recipe,i took a pic of recipe as well agagagaaa :D

And i recommend not to use jaggery (Gurr) and use 1/2 cup of butter instead of full.

sister herb
12-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Salam alaykum;

Thanks about idea as I just today found from fridge peanut butter and was thinking I need to use it to something. :statisfie

~Zaria~
12-17-2012, 05:59 PM
^ MashaAllah, thats excellent sis Endymion!

I love baking, but I generally stay away from the cookies because its so time consuming, and Ive had a few flops, wasted batters and tears along the way ; (

At the moment I dont have an oven (actually Im too scared to use the gas stove where Im at - clueless, and worried that I many blow myself up! :/ )

Insha Allah, as soon as I figure it out, Im going give those peanut biscuits a try!

BarakAllah feekum

Endymion
12-17-2012, 06:27 PM
:jz: sis :embarrass

And its preparation took about 10 minutes,just took too much time in baking coz my oven is a little slow :exhausted But don't risk your life for some cookies,i'll send them to ya until you be able to bake them yourself :statisfie

Cabdullahi
12-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Cabdullahi having a Lion's share (Masha'Allah):

sister herb
12-17-2012, 06:50 PM
^^ Looks yummy but do I have to write it again... :exhausted Yes seems I have to... Recipe too please!

Cabdullahi
12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
^^ Looks yummy but do I have to write it again... :exhausted Yes seems I have to... Recipe too please!
Macaroni Heart Attack

1 banana
1 bag of mozzarella cheese
1 portion of macaroni
1 portion of minced meat
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Onions

Chapati/Roti
Water
Salt
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of wholemeal flour
1 cup of white flour
Melted butter

Basbusa
1 basbusa

sister herb
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
"Macaroni Heart Attack" sounds a little... danger food but still looks yummy. :p

Abu Zainab
12-18-2012, 07:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
Macaroni Heart Attack

1 banana
1 bag of mozzarella cheese
1 portion of macaroni
1 portion of minced meat
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Onions

Chapati/Roti
Water
Salt
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of wholemeal flour
1 cup of white flour
Melted butter

Basbusa
1 basbusa
lol....err.. where's the recipe? An ingredients list do not and I repeat do not count as a recipe.

But as a bachelor making chapati and basbusa!!....hats off to you bro.

Cabdullahi
12-18-2012, 09:11 AM
bro i never made the basbusa or the sauce for the macaroni

i dont like basbusa

sister herb
12-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Oops I didn´t even realized there wasn´t method how to make that food (maybe because I make food so often, I deduced by ingredients how to make it).

Is basbusa that one?

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dess...r/basbousa.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!