/* */

PDA

View Full Version : IB Kitchen Club

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Simple_Person
05-07-2017, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
I don't have an issue with that honestly. Because you know sometimes a dish has originated somewhere else, but it was perfected for a region. We arabs do have our own "lahma bil 'ajeen" (but even flavors differ from country to country)..but lahmacun is totally unique to Turkey. The basics of all dishes are the same, but each country adds their influence (ingredients, cooking methods, atmosphere) to "own" it. Just eat and say alhemdulilah ;D who cares where it's from as long as it's halal and delicious.
I also say alhamdulillah when i eat food whatever that might be, however i have the issue with nationalism. With Turks especially always everything is used to enhance their nationalism. So that is why i correct people when necessary ESPECIALLY when Turks throw themselves in a discussion. Gladly @anatolian knows this and with A LOT of other dishes as well, however sister there are so many Turks and you have not experienced their behavior..so blind...so hateful and so uneducated. Those people i show no mercy and shoot them right the way in the discussion and show them their place to be humble and add something to the discussion instead of expressing their nationalism in the discussion. We Kurds also have our unique dishes, however we say alhamdulillah..not because it has come from our Kurds but Allah has given us to use. However i do not hear and NEVER heard Kurds using such things to enhance their nationalism.

Also with dishes just because they use it, doesn't mean it originated from there. For example Dolma/Yaprag as far as i know this is a Greek dish. Kurdish Kebab Turks call it "Adana Kebab", kebab it self is the word is from Farsi. The doner Kebab that thing that turns around, that I BELIEVE is Turkish.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm♥Layth
05-07-2017, 02:29 PM
haha!

anatolian
05-07-2017, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
I also say alhamdulillah when i eat food whatever that might be, however i have the issue with nationalism. With Turks especially always everything is used to enhance their nationalism. So that is why i correct people when necessary ESPECIALLY when Turks throw themselves in a discussion. Gladly @anatolian knows this and with A LOT of other dishes as well, however sister there are so many Turks and you have not experienced their behavior..so blind...so hateful and so uneducated. Those people i show no mercy and shoot them right the way in the discussion and show them their place to be humble and add something to the discussion instead of expressing their nationalism in the discussion. We Kurds also have our unique dishes, however we say alhamdulillah..not because it has come from our Kurds but Allah has given us to use. However i do not hear and NEVER heard Kurds using such things to enhance their nationalism.

Also with dishes just because they use it, doesn't mean it originated from there. For example Dolma/Yaprag as far as i know this is a Greek dish. Kurdish Kebab Turks call it "Adana Kebab", kebab it self is the word is from Farsi. The doner Kebab that thing that turns around, that I BELIEVE is Turkish.
Nah. "Yaprak/leaf" and "dolma/filling, stuffing" are two Turkish words. We have biber/pepper dolma too. All "dolmas" are Turkish :)..Greeks like to show Turkish things as if Greek. Adana Kebab must be Arabic since Arabs were already living in Adana region before Kurds moved there. There must be some Kurdish dishes as well.

anatolian
05-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Biber dolma :)

Attachment 6125

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Simple_Person
05-07-2017, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Nah. "Yaprak/leaf" and "dolma/filling, stuffing" are two Turkish words. We have biber/pepper dolma too. All "dolmas" are Turkish :)..Greeks like to show Turkish things as if Greek. Adana Kebab must be Arabic since Arabs were already living in Adana region before Kurds moved there. There must be some Kurdish dishes as well.
Just because it is called "dolma/yaprag" in that region, doesn't mean it originates from that region. I argue it is a Greek dish by origin. About adana kebab, no it is Kurdish. Not Arabic. The exact spices and how it is made is best made by the ones that it comes from. It is rather the Kurds that make it exactly like that. For example, about dishes that contains fish etc. hands down that it is NOT made by Kurds, because Kurds are NOT a sea people, rather only know life on land. If you go to Kurdish areas the ONLY know how to BBQ fish, while sea people can make all sort of dishes with fish meat. Also about dishes with beef or camel, that i also argue no dish that contains that sort of meat is from the Kurds. It only leaves sheep and goats.

That kebab is unique because of the fat in the "tail" of sheep. That fat has a very unique taste. In other countries it is tried to use normal fat with combination of spices, however that taste you notice is NOT the same. The Kurds as long as you go back in to the history they have had chickens, goats and sheep. Other domestic animals well almost not. Arabs are rather experts in camel meat for example. The fat in the "tail" of the sheep i noticed that the sheep here in the west, have almost no "tail". While the sheep in Kurdish areas have some large thing hanging there..which is that fat that i am talking about.

Another typical Kurdish dish is

But the rest from Biryani to yaprag and even baqlawa are not Kurdish by origin as far as i know and acknowledge.

anatolian
05-07-2017, 07:56 PM
When you asked me about the origin of "Lahmacun" I provided you information that the etymology of the name reveals that it is originally an Arabic food. And you agreed me on that. But when I provide you the etymology of the name "Yaprak dolma/Stuffed Leaf" as a Turkish name you still argue me on that it is a Greek food.

And it's not all about "Lahmacun" or "Dolma". Turkish cuisine have an almost enless variety of dishes. It is recorded that there are 19.000 different dishes in the Turkish cuisine. On the other hand its true that many of these dishes come from the regions once the Ottoman Empire ruled inside or outside of today's Turkey. But well, still the Turkish kitchen rulez...;D

Simple_Person
05-07-2017, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
When you asked me about the origin of "Lahmacun" I provided you information that the etymology of the name reveals that it is originally an Arabic food. And you agreed me on that. But when I provide you the etymology of the name "Yaprak dolma/Stuffed Leaf" as a Turkish name you still argue me on that it is a Greek food.

And it's not all about "Lahmacun" or "Dolma". Turkish cuisine have an almost enless variety of dishes. It is recorded that there are 19.000 different dishes in the Turkish cuisine. On the other hand its true that many of these dishes come from the regions once the Ottoman Empire ruled inside or outside of today's Turkey. But well, still the Turkish kitchen rulez...;D
You know why i doubt that yaprak/dolma is of Turkish origin, rather of Greek origin? Orthodox Christianity were the orignal rules of western modern day Turkey. In Greek kitchen this same dish also exists. However the question is if this same dish also exists with them, WHY would the want to "steal" this dish from the Turks? Rather it more looks like that the people that stayed in western modern day Turkey and kept their cultural habits after Ottoman conquering. We already know that the mongol invasion of Baghdad they also adopted Islam as their religion. So to make it more sense how come the Greek have the SAME dish and the Turks also, the ONLY way possible that makes sense is that it was and is a Greek dish.

Another example. Kurds dance with hand in hand in a circle. The Turks do that the same. I have heard some Turks say this dance (halay) is of Turkish origin. But again, i ask question. Kurds are separated in 4 different countries. The Kurds in eastern modern day Turkey i lets say indeed they have "stolen" this from the Turks. However the Kurds in modern day north-eastern Syria have the same dance, but have nothing to do with Turkish culture OR their language. The Kurds in modern day northern Iraq dance the same way and ALSO have NOTHING to do with Turkish language or it's culture. The Kurds in modern day north-western Iran also dance the same way and have NOTHING to do with Turkish culture OR their language. How is it that that dance is Turkish, while Kurds that have NOTHING to do with Turks in other parts..dance the SAME way? This is a VALID question and is rather being contradictory if it is the dance that Turks have invented so to say.

Besides that, Kurds by historical facts if one searches have AT least 5000 years origin like the Persians in that part of the world. Does that mean that ALL those years, NOT 1 cultural habit was brought up? Just lived day to day live..without certain dish..without certain dance, without certain music? or other habits. If one thinks things from such a perspective you can see that things becomes very contradictory if one fits it in the picture of such a things coming from Turks by origin.

I am not saying the Turks have not given their fair share of culture, like i earlier said "doner kebab". However MUCH needs to be corrected again that besides HISTORICAL facts, also fit the picture of logic, rationality and reason.

Another example. I have heard Turks for example say Kurds are nomadic people that originate from India. This also contradicts HISTORICAL facts but also Islamic facts. Mount Judi (Prophet Nuh (as) ) is the HEART of Kurdistan (place where the Kurds are). As i Kurd myself and born here i can confirm how blessed this land is, as there are MANY springs, which is kind of contradictory why somebody want to leave such a blessed place. That being said we go to historical facts. Language although many years would go by, many things do not change. Old language used back then (Medes), there are still many words that are exactly the same. So that again is being contradictory to them being a nomadic people. As last one to add to this, let's say Kurds are nomadic people, YET let's say there were 10.000 people..or 20.000 people..or even 100.000 people. yet now some say the amount of Kurds exceed 30-40 million. In history in the time of Sallahedine Ayoubi i have heard Kurds were around 160 million. How can people reach such high numbers if they were nomadic people? So that again is being contradictory.

So coming back to the dish, i base that on such questions of not making sense if by origin it is Turkish. Turks for example call that dance "halay", but Kurds have a different name for it and i ONLY hear that word "halay" being used by Turks and Kurds from Turkey. So again, changing the name, doesn't make it yours you know :). Just like "Istanbul", NO it is CONSTANTINOPLE. Rasullah(saws) has said "Constantinople" (hadith conquering Constantinople in the end times after the malhama) Or even Aya sofia ..NO it is Hagia Sophia.

The first one does when conquering land is to change names and take away identity from the people. This is tried for example with Kurds that is why i pay close attention to it. For example Diyarbekir ..no it is Amed. You see this ALL over the place in Turkey. Kurds were not able to use their own names to take away their identity. People have their names like Ozturk, or Turk..or Ocalan..etc..So again, changing the name doesn't mean it is yours, rather be a bit more skeptical and ask questions and the answer should fit logic, rationality and reason. With that, that is why i say with all honesty "doner kebab" is Turkish and find no contradictory being of any other origin besides from the Turks.

Simple_Person
05-07-2017, 09:18 PM
-
I today talked with my mother and sister and they gave me the recipe for "Tursi". The jar that i bought is about 2 liters i assume. They also confirmed to me that making it, is good for MAX 1 month..and longer than that the taste will get bad. It is rather very easy to make how my mother gave me the recipe.

Here it comes :).

- Cauliflower
- oxheart cabbage
- Pickles

My mother said just use what you can use of it, as it will not fit in it all together. You could also use carrot if you want. However with cauliflower just not to big of a pieces, but also not to small. With the cabbage cut it not in too small pieces, just look online what shape they are cut in to. With the pickles, you can also use little cucumbers, but pickles contain already salt, so no salt needed to be added to it. Also with the pickles use little pickles. Those large ones are less tasty because they contain a lot of the water of the jar.

If you have filled up the jar, there are apparently some of those spices that need to be added to. I will ask later if it is also possible to do without those spices. After that she said, just a glass of water, then a glass of vinegar, then again glass of water and glass of vinegar. So not 2 glasses of water then try to fill it up with 2 glasses of vinegar, but keep the balance. Or it will either ruin the taste.

When done, just hold in 1-2 days at a dark cold place and you can eat it.

I will be asking my sister maybe she knows the Arabic name for those spices in'sha'Allah and i will give it to you in'sha'Allah. There are a lot of those typical shops that sell all kind of spices, who knows that those spices are also for sale near you :). I will keeping you up to date and post you pictures of it in'sha'Allah.

*charisma*
05-14-2017, 04:01 PM
I today talked with my mother and sister and they gave me the recipe for "Tursi". The jar that i bought is about 2 liters i assume. They also confirmed to me that making it, is good for MAX 1 month..and longer than that the taste will get bad. It is rather very easy to make how my mother gave me the recipe.

Here it comes :).

- Cauliflower
- oxheart cabbage
- Pickles

My mother said just use what you can use of it, as it will not fit in it all together. You could also use carrot if you want. However with cauliflower just not to big of a pieces, but also not to small. With the cabbage cut it not in too small pieces, just look online what shape they are cut in to. With the pickles, you can also use little cucumbers, but pickles contain already salt, so no salt needed to be added to it. Also with the pickles use little pickles. Those large ones are less tasty because they contain a lot of the water of the jar.

If you have filled up the jar, there are apparently some of those spices that need to be added to. I will ask later if it is also possible to do without those spices. After that she said, just a glass of water, then a glass of vinegar, then again glass of water and glass of vinegar. So not 2 glasses of water then try to fill it up with 2 glasses of vinegar, but keep the balance. Or it will either ruin the taste.

When done, just hold in 1-2 days at a dark cold place and you can eat it.

I will be asking my sister maybe she knows the Arabic name for those spices in'sha'Allah and i will give it to you in'sha'Allah. There are a lot of those typical shops that sell all kind of spices, who knows that those spices are also for sale near you :). I will keeping you up to date and post you pictures of it in'sha'Allah.
Have you tried it yet?? :D

Simple_Person
05-14-2017, 10:21 PM
I have already bought the necessary stuff but every time some thing came between that prevented me from making it. In'sha'Allah one of these coming days. I am just back from a wedding..that loud music kills the mind and the ears XD.

Simple_Person
05-18-2017, 01:04 PM
ALHAMDULILLAH, ALL THE PRAISES AND GLORY BE TO ALLAH and ONLY TO HIM ALONE!!

Allah has granted me the knowledge and ability to make Tursi. It is like tasting Tursi my mother makes XD...well maybe if i go in to details, still the tursi my mother makes is better than mine, but still ALHAMDULILLAH!!

Here it goes.

Step 1: Buy the necessary stuff.

- Oxheart cabbage
- Cauliflower
- vinegar (i used normal vinegar)
- Tursi spices ( i will in'sha'Allah ask my sister what it is called in Arabic, maybe this also exists with the Arabic culture)
- small pickles (use the small ones, because of more taste
- water

Step 1: Gather all those stuff i mentioned above.

1?shared name9t6tzyh8q29nvi2zy5skj2dnh7mz07vy -

Step 2: take off small amount of piece of cauliflower,..not to big..but also not to small. You will see in a picture later on. I also just sliced some piece from the cabbage, not to big and also not to small.
I would suggest when slicing to calculate how much of each you want in there. For example 50/25/25? Or 25/50/25? Or whatever.. (cauliflower, cabbage, pickles)

Step 3: Wash the pieces of the vegetables you sliced and let all the water drain from them. (off course do not wash the pickle :).

Step 4: In my second jar i corrected my self from the first mistake, by this time putting some cauliflower, then a layer of cabbage, then layer of pickles again repeat it till it was full. When doing this, i put 2 TEA-spoons of tursi spices. Maybe best to put them when the jar is filled with the vegetables first. I will in'sha'Allah try it next time. You do NOT need salt, my mother said the pickles already contain salt so if you would use it, it would ruin the taste.

Tursi spices (the Yellow ones, the orange/brown ones i THINK are for yaprax/dolma)

1?shared namelafzrm00ujm14wplzycwx1yhr1cij1xk -

Step 5: The jar you have filled with the vegetables you want, now you have to put water and vinegar to it. Grab a glass and first fill up the glass with water and pour it in, then fill it up with vinegar and pour it in, repeat it BUT KEEP IN MIND to keep the balance. So that you don't end up having more vinegar OR more water in the jar.

Picture: Jar filled with vegetables.
1?shared namexhlcxpg42wlzxkgt0mi0u6h3jm35uozy -

Jar now filled with vinegar + water.

1?shared namegwatcav78dnf4ej99mifc8mxo92qjocg -

Step 6: In the picture above (first jar), i forgot to put the tursi spices in there. But i just later on still put 2 tea-spoons of tursi spices and stirred it a bit to dissolve it in the jar with vinegar and water.

Step 7: Close the lid and put it in a cold place/dark. Not cold in the sense of refrigerator, but just some closet or so.

The first day after i made it, the taste was "oke", i called my sister and she said the longer you leave it, the better the taste gets. The second day (today) i again tasted it and she was indeed right the taste is better than yesterday. Look at my 2 beautiful yellow girls here in the picture below :). I'm gonna try to cannibalize them every day till nothing of them is left.

1?shared name79mm889dfs5i6tkir2iye0mosrqwl9tz -

Umm♥Layth
05-18-2017, 03:05 PM
So is tursi a pickle then? I love learning about different pickles!

From the looks of it, the traditional way of doing this is to place all the veggies in the jar with salt water and spices. Then you let it sit for about a week. This will make the veggies tangy(the same as if they had been sitting in vinegar with water) and they will take on the flavors of the spices as well as provide tons of beneficial bacteria for your microbiome :shade:

Simple_Person
05-18-2017, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm♥Layth
So is tursi a pickle then? I love learning about different pickles!

From the looks of it, the traditional way of doing this is to place all the veggies in the jar with salt water and spices. Then you let it sit for about a week. This will make the veggies tangy(the same as if they had been sitting in vinegar with water) and they will take on the flavors of the spices as well as provide tons of beneficial bacteria for your microbiome :shade:
Yes, but a more direct pickled taste to it because i THINK of more use of vinegar. It is hard to describe it. Go and meet some Kurdish families they will give you some :P. Maybe even in the future if they go on vacation to Kurdistan they can take those spices with them, as i am not sure if they are for sale here in the west. And if they are for sale, it is STILL in no comparison to the spices there. Another example is the "Tahin" ( oil from Sesame seeds). There exists certain way of making Tahin in Kurdish areas especially from Amedi. This Tahin contains more oil i believe and it is a WORLD in difference between the Tahin bought at regular stores and the one bought there. Very delicious with bread and tea :).

As vinegar has many health benefit, i will in'sha'Allah put this also on my regular food to eat ..and the water that is left in the bowl just drink it up.

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 06:16 PM
ALHAMDULILLAH, ALL THE PRAISES AND GLORY BE TO ALLAH and ONLY TO HIM ALONE!!

Allah has granted me the knowledge and ability to make Tursi. It is like tasting Tursi my mother makes XD...well maybe if i go in to details, still the tursi my mother makes is better than mine, but still ALHAMDULILLAH!!
Allahu akbar :D Firstly, I am PROUD that you finally got your jars and accomplished your long dream of making tursi ;D secondly jazakallahu khair for posting the recipe WITH pics too! I thought I'd be able to figure out the spices, but since they are ground it will be impossible lool. I found some recipes online, but I'm guessing every recipe will differ in some way in regards to the spice mix. Anyways, glad you get to have your tursi now! :)

EDIT: I feel like I have to post something now :P I'm about to go make some samosa/samboosa wrappers so maybe I'll take pics as I do it inshallah to post later on (if they don't fail on me) :D

Simple_Person
05-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Allahu akbar :D Firstly, I am PROUD that you finally got your jars and accomplished your long dream of making tursi ;D secondly jazakallahu khair for posting the recipe WITH pics too! I thought I'd be able to figure out the spices, but since they are ground it will be impossible lool. I found some recipes online, but I'm guessing every recipe will differ in some way in regards to the spice mix. Anyways, glad you get to have your tursi now! :)

EDIT: I feel like I have to post something now :P I'm about to go make some samosa/samboosa wrappers so maybe I'll take pics as I do it inshallah to post later on (if they don't fail on me) :D
If you gonna give a recipe please do keep in mind to use certain spices for example. There are some food that contain E621 ..this enhances the taste but PREVENTS your body to notice it had enough to eat. Always the next day if I ad food that contains such spices ..I wake up as if I have not eaten in days. This is absolutely not a good feeling and rather harmful if I must say. If posting ..please PURE food not the chemical waste that confuses the body or messes it up. Keep things natural.

Btw: I am not sure if Biryani is made the same way as how Kurds make it...

Rice with those small type of spaghetti like things..for got the name..they are baked and look after baking it..a bit brownish.

Besides that we put peas and almonds with pieces of baked chicken and pieces of small cubes of meat also baked..with a more balanced type of Biryani spices..

Gonna make soon in'sha'Allah maybe before Ramadan.

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 09:15 PM
If you gonna give a recipe please do keep in mind to use certain spices for example. There are some food that contain E621 ..this enhances the taste but PREVENTS your body to notice it had enough to eat. Always the next day if I ad food that contains such spices ..I wake up as if I have not eaten in days. This is absolutely not a good feeling and rather harmful if I must say. If posting ..please PURE food not the chemical waste that confuses the body or messes it up. Keep things natural.
I love how you have preferences ;D

We call that MSG. I have a slight sensitivity to it, so I can tell when a dish uses it. It actually gives me headaches, makes me really thirsty, and sometimes my face gets tingly lool. And alhemdulilah all of my food is PURE. I don't use those boxed spices or anything. I always make my own.

The spaghetti thingies are called vermicelli :D Not sure about how it differs from other biryanis cuz the ones I've had don't use vermicelli (it's usually used in sweets). But in my culture we use it all the time because we cook it with our rice as well.

I'll think of something I can make without the mafia veggies ;D are there any particular spices you dislike?

Umm♥Layth
05-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Yes, but a more direct pickled taste to it because i THINK of more use of vinegar. It is hard to describe it. Go and meet some Kurdish families they will give you some :P. Maybe even in the future if they go on vacation to Kurdistan they can take those spices with them, as i am not sure if they are for sale here in the west. And if they are for sale, it is STILL in no comparison to the spices there. Another example is the "Tahin" ( oil from Sesame seeds). There exists certain way of making Tahin in Kurdish areas especially from Amedi. This Tahin contains more oil i believe and it is a WORLD in difference between the Tahin bought at regular stores and the one bought there. Very delicious with bread and tea :).

As vinegar has many health benefit, i will in'sha'Allah put this also on my regular food to eat ..and the water that is left in the bowl just drink it up.
We must have a vinegar discussion in the near future insha'Allah. Can you ask your mom for the spice mix recipe?! lol I really do enjoy personally passed down home recipes. I'm gonna have to go look for some kurdish families and have a taste.

It's burritos for dinner tonight for me, I'll see if I can snap a photo. I made everyone molokhiya yesterday so I don't have to make anything else. I also spent hours prepping all veggies and such on Monday, so whoever needs them can just reach in a baggie!

Umm♥Layth
05-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Also, I'm proud of you bro! It is nice to see brothers taking care of themselves and aiming to eat healthy. MSG is horrible, and I know the feeling you speak of.

Simple_Person
05-18-2017, 09:43 PM
I love how you have preferences ;D

We call that MSG. I have a slight sensitivity to it, so I can tell when a dish uses it. It actually gives me headaches, makes me really thirsty, and sometimes my face gets tingly lool. And alhemdulilah all of my food is PURE. I don't use those boxed spices or anything. I always make my own.

The spaghetti thingies are called vermicelli :D Not sure about how it differs from other biryanis cuz the ones I've had don't use vermicelli (it's usually used in sweets). But in my culture we use it all the time because we cook it with our rice as well.

I'll think of something I can make without the mafia veggies ;D are there any particular spices you dislike?
Well in the past I disliked even black pepper XD..but alhamdulillah much has changed. My only dislike is my grudge against the mafia familie with the rest we are good buddies.

OOOH btw as you sisters are old grandma's when it comes to cooking experience..do you guys know how to make cake ..that specific one with a lot of cream. All the time at the stores I see pork gelatine added to it and till now I haven't found any other place. Also I do not have a oven but a combi-microwave. With that thing I also make bread (hot air).or Pizza with a iron plate and certain functionality makes the bodem crisp.

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 09:47 PM
It's burritos for dinner tonight for me, I'll see if I can snap a photo. I made everyone molokhiya yesterday so I don't have to make anything else. I also spent hours prepping all veggies and such on Monday, so whoever needs them can just reach in a baggie!
Molokhiya...your hubby must be arab sis :p

I tried making the samosa wrappers, but they were mostly a fail lool. I got a few good ones out of it so we'll see how they turn out. I will try again tomorrow inshallah. I'm trying to prep freezer items for ramadan. So far my plan is towards making samosas, kibbeh, and stuffed puff pastries. Which reminds me, gotta organize my freezer too >_<.

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 09:47 PM

I tried making the samosa wrappers, but they were mostly a fail lool. I got a few good ones out of it so we'll see how they turn out. I will try again tomorrow inshallah. I'm trying to prep freezer items for ramadan. So far my plan is towards making samosas, kibbeh, and stuffed puff pastries. Which reminds me, gotta organize my freezer too >_<.

Simple_Person
05-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Also, I'm proud of you bro! It is nice to see brothers taking care of themselves and aiming to eat healthy. MSG is horrible, and I know the feeling you speak of.
Well it is either waiting for a wife to marry TAKING THE chance that later on it was waste of time waiting for her as many of the sisters are even MORE useless in the kitchen than brothers now a days. So just stop waiting and learn the dishes my self. To me she will right now become a burden XD. I myself do everything and I am rather happy with it.

I am not sure if more brothers who are in the same boat have the energy and will to try dishes to cook for themselves but I guess it is rather a blessing to be able to do it. Sisters in the past complained that it is hard ..etc..cooking something is EASY it only takes some time with certain dishes that's it..but still better cooking a dish for 3 hours than wasting time watching useless videos on YouTube or some sort.

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Well in the past I disliked even black pepper XD..but alhamdulillah much has changed. My only dislike is my grudge against the mafia familie with the rest we are good buddies.
omg...xD black pepper?! you're a challenge ;D so ok as long as we stay away from the mafia we're all good..i'll think of something to your palate inshallah :D

OOOH btw as you sisters are old grandma's when it comes to cooking experience..do you guys know how to make cake ..that specific one with a lot of cream. All the time at the stores I see pork gelatine added to it and till now I haven't found any other place. Also I do not have a oven but a combi-microwave. With that thing I also make bread (hot air).or Pizza with a iron plate and certain functionality makes the bodem crisp.
Can you show a pic or describe it more?? Where is the cream? Is it frosting? Is it in the batter/dough or is it applied after it's baked?

Simple_Person
05-18-2017, 09:58 PM
omg...xD black pepper?! you're a challenge ;D so ok as long as we stay away from the mafia we're all good..i'll think of something to your palate inshallah :D

Can you show a pic or describe it more?? Where is the cream? Is it frosting? Is it in the batter/dough or is it applied after it's baked?

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 10:23 PM

The cake part is sponge cake, but the cake itself looks like a strawberry shortcake. The cream is whipped cream.

The cake part is made from separated eggs (egg white and egg yolk is separated). But there are a lot of variations for it. It's also called genoise cake. There's another similar cake called chiffon but I think it requires butter/oil. Sponge cake has no oil in it just eggs, flour and sugar.

The whipped cream can be made without gelatin. You just need whipping cream. Usually in the grocery store it's next to the refrigerated dairy.

I'll get you a good recipe inshallah. it's been a while since I've made it. The key to making a good cake is to make sure that the whisk you use is VERY clean of any oil/grease. So you should use a paper towel with some lemon juice or vinegar on it and clean it of any grease. Otherwise the cake will fail because you won't be able to get the egg whites to whip up and get fluffy.

Umm♥Layth
05-18-2017, 10:23 PM

He isn't! I find it funny that it's one of his favorite dishes. I never ate it until he mentioned this was one of his favorite dishes. I learned to cook it like 2 weeks before we got married LOL!

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 10:26 PM
I also want to add, you don't have to use sponge cake to make that cake..you can use any type of plain cake and it will still come out good. But that specific type in the picture is sponge cake.

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 10:27 PM
He isn't! I find it funny that it's one of his favorite dishes. I never ate it until he mentioned this was one of his favorite dishes. I learned to cook it like 2 weeks before we got married LOL!
Wow really?? that's crazy lool I would have guessed he's egyptian or from the levant. A lot of people also don't like mloukhiya cuz of the texture. I wonder how he learned about it..must have lived near a lot of arabs.

Umm♥Layth
05-18-2017, 10:36 PM
Well it is either waiting for a wife to marry TAKING THE chance that later on it was waste of time waiting for her as many of the sisters are even MORE useless in the kitchen than brothers now a days. So just stop waiting and learn the dishes my self. To me she will right now become a burden XD. I myself do everything and I am rather happy with it.

I am not sure if more brothers who are in the same boat have the energy and will to try dishes to cook for themselves but I guess it is rather a blessing to be able to do it. Sisters in the past complained that it is hard ..etc..cooking something is EASY it only takes some time with certain dishes that's it..but still better cooking a dish for 3 hours than wasting time watching useless videos on YouTube or some sort.
I prefer not to use the word useless when it comes to my gender, but I will tell you why domestic skills are dropping for women. It is the western feminist idea that somehow learning to care for yourself and your family is some sort of disgrace or punishment ("chained to the kitchen sink") and feminine arts are looked down upon my society. Unfortunately, muslims have bought this idea also and push their daughters to ONLY focus on school and not worry about learning these skills and their mothers baby them all the way through.

Then, they find themselves of marital age, get married and don't know how to cook an egg or clean properly. This is something both men AND women should know. They do this to their sons also and that's how you get spoiled millennials who want all of the perks of a woman from "back home" but want dual income and just... everyone is confused.

Anyway, it really isn't difficult. It can be time consuming due to food prep and clean up and this is why people don't like to cook anymore. Once you learn to be efficient in that area, it becomes such a breeze! If you learn to batch cook and have a secondary freezer....oh man does life get easy :D Then there's the nutrition part of it all, which majority of people completely fail at, but that's another subject.

Keep on keeping on and learn as much as you can. My ex husband taught me how to make my very first curry. He wasn't the best cook, but he knew the basics (I was only 18, but behind because my mom didn't like me in the kitchen as I'm quite messy :o ) and I did take off from then on :)

Bobbyflay23
05-18-2017, 11:05 PM
You guys better not post this stuff during Ramadan making me hungry

*charisma*
05-18-2017, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bobbyflay23
You guys better not post this stuff during Ramadan making me hungry
looooool, comeonnn bro, that's the BESt time to post it!

Simple_Person
05-19-2017, 05:53 AM
looooool, comeonnn bro, that's the BESt time to post it!
The brother got a point. During Ramadan we should make easy dishes that don't take that long rather spend more time in worship and rememberance of Allah.

That will also be the first time I will in'sha'Allah be making lentils dish. I have never made it and my aunt showed me how easy it is. Easy, healthy, tasty, light on the stomach..with bread and some sliced tomatoes nothing more needed. Last time she showed it to me but she did it very quickly and I forgot what spices she used.

Bobbyflay23
05-19-2017, 05:56 AM
The brother got a point. During Ramadan we should make easy dishes that don't take that long rather spend more time in worship and rememberance of Allah.

That will also be the first time I will in'sha'Allah be making lentils dish. I have never made it and my aunt showed me how easy it is. Easy, healthy, tasty, light on the stomach..with bread and some sliced tomatoes nothing more needed. Last time she showed it to me but she did it very quickly and I forgot what spices she used.
Not gonna lie that wasn't my point my point was that on this forum there's pictures of really good looking food and if I go on Islamic board while fasting and see that forum it's basically taunting me ya know?

Simple_Person
05-19-2017, 06:05 AM
I prefer not to use the word useless when it comes to my gender, but I will tell you why domestic skills are dropping for women. It is the western feminist idea that somehow learning to care for yourself and your family is some sort of disgrace or punishment ("chained to the kitchen sink") and feminine arts are looked down upon my society. Unfortunately, muslims have bought this idea also and push their daughters to ONLY focus on school and not worry about learning these skills and their mothers baby them all the way through.

Then, they find themselves of marital age, get married and don't know how to cook an egg or clean properly. This is something both men AND women should know. They do this to their sons also and that's how you get spoiled millennials who want all of the perks of a woman from "back home" but want dual income and just... everyone is confused.

Anyway, it really isn't difficult. It can be time consuming due to food prep and clean up and this is why people don't like to cook anymore. Once you learn to be efficient in that area, it becomes such a breeze! If you learn to batch cook and have a secondary freezer....oh man does life get easy :D Then there's the nutrition part of it all, which majority of people completely fail at, but that's another subject.

Keep on keeping on and learn as much as you can. My ex husband taught me how to make my very first curry. He wasn't the best cook, but he knew the basics (I was only 18, but behind because my mom didn't like me in the kitchen as I'm quite messy :o ) and I did take off from then on :)
You still had the mentality to WANT to take care of your husband..the women of today don't even have that mentality. They like you said are brought up with any good mentality. When they marry sorry to say this but REALLY useless. My 11 year old niece was complaining because her mother told her to go and clean up the floor. I said to her why are you complaining look at me I am doing the dishes while you are cleaning. I asked her you are complaining what else do you then want to do instead of cleaning. .she said sit down and be on my tablet...those children are DOOMED I tell you. I feel sorry for their children when they marry and have children.

In the past I thought the friends are responsible..but I have come to know is the parents. The parents seem like they just do not care. They just wanted children and how.they brought up and what kind of rights the children have upon them is not important and they do not care about it. Just like your mother. My sister is the opposite of it because my mother has thaught her all the things but has not thaught anything to my brother. He is just lazy and sits down all day. Typical of Kurdish culture the men sit and women do all the household chores to cooking ..Alhamdulillah Allah has.given me a different path to know the value of cleaning and cooking and doing the laundry be only dependent on Him instead another human beings when it comes to such things.

Any ways..PLEASE give your children both of them with good upbringing of teaching them how to cook and how to clean because these things look like a dying profession.

Simple_Person
05-19-2017, 06:08 AM
The cake part is sponge cake, but the cake itself looks like a strawberry shortcake. The cream is whipped cream.

The cake part is made from separated eggs (egg white and egg yolk is separated). But there are a lot of variations for it. It's also called genoise cake. There's another similar cake called chiffon but I think it requires butter/oil. Sponge cake has no oil in it just eggs, flour and sugar.

The whipped cream can be made without gelatin. You just need whipping cream. Usually in the grocery store it's next to the refrigerated dairy.

I'll get you a good recipe inshallah. it's been a while since I've made it. The key to making a good cake is to make sure that the whisk you use is VERY clean of any oil/grease. So you should use a paper towel with some lemon juice or vinegar on it and clean it of any grease. Otherwise the cake will fail because you won't be able to get the egg whites to whip up and get fluffy.
Woos it is like you are describing the details of a dragon. Look at me like a person who doesn't know what a kitchen is when it comes to making cake..I have NEVER made something sweet. I can make dishes but cake and things of that sort are for me like seeing the back of my head without mirrors.

Simple_Person
05-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Not gonna lie that wasn't my point my point was that on this forum there's pictures of really good looking food and if I go on Islamic board while fasting and see that forum it's basically taunting me ya know?
I know that wasn't your point but I just brought up something in general. We have forgotten the meaning of Ramadan a bit. We get fat after Ramadan while really we should have gotten rid of fat during Ramadan.

About those food do try to control all your urges as a man but also for women..not only sexual urges but also wanting to eat when smelling food or seeing somebody eat or even when eating prevent filling up your stomach. Be moderate and be in control.

Bobbyflay23
05-19-2017, 06:14 AM
I know that wasn't your point but I just brought up something in general. We have forgotten the meaning of Ramadan a bit. We get fat after Ramadan while really we should have gotten rid of fat during Ramadan.

About those food do try to control all your urges as a man but also for women..not only sexual urges but also wanting to eat when smelling food or seeing somebody eat or even when eating prevent filling up your stomach. Be moderate and be in control.
I can control myself but as a human being with a nafs and annoying Sheyton at my side that doesn't mean I'm not gonna have to fight temptations but thank you it's a reminder we all need

Simple_Person
05-19-2017, 06:25 AM
I can control myself but as a human being with a nafs and annoying Sheyton at my side that doesn't mean I'm not gonna have to fight temptations
Nobody is saying that but I just recently came to know about the fact that when one keeps steadfast things suddenly become piece of cake. No longer the urge for anything anymore.

That also being the moment sheytan has no more power over you. Like in the Qur'an Allah saying to iblies that he will have no power over His servants. In other words Prophets had this ability but how come? My conclusion so far with also people of ihsaan level..willpower. the willpower to move the body while the body is physically unable. This being for example when bench pressing you going beyond your limits or training in general. I have been there alhamdulillah and I know of this willpower when it comes to training your body but it is on a WHOLE different level when it comes to willpower of having with your heart..BUT IT IS POSSIBLE.

Simple_Person
05-19-2017, 06:08 PM
-
I don't know what it is, but i guess you can read it..

بهارات طرشي

Google translate: Bharat Tarshi

*charisma*
05-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Woos it is like you are describing the details of a dragon. Look at me like a person who doesn't know what a kitchen is when it comes to making cake..I have NEVER made something sweet. I can make dishes but cake and things of that sort are for me like seeing the back of my head without mirrors.
ohh no so we're going to have to start with something simpler :D What types of baking supplies do you have? (ie. scale, measuring cups, whisk, baking pans, etc..)

have you ever made pancakes?

I don't know what it is, but i guess you can read it..

بهارات طرشي

Google translate: Bharat Tarshi
That literally means "tarshi spices" :D

Simple_Person
05-19-2017, 08:03 PM
ohh no so we're going to have to start with something simpler :D What types of baking supplies do you have? (ie. scale, measuring cups, whisk, baking pans, etc..)

have you ever made pancakes?
Pancakes..well i only poured it in the pan ..that was like 16 years ago. But i never made the mix. The pancakes later on i just bought at the store..no taste..but still alhamdulillah. Well i have a measuring cup to use for making bread...i can buy a whisk..no baking pans with those certain kind of distinct shapes. Do i need those?

That literally means "tarshi spices" :D
I know XD ...but i do not know how to communicate with my sister or mother. They do not get those things.. in the past sub'han'Allah i was like for almost 30 minutes trying to explain "Ka'bah". I said "kaba" because i do not speak Arabic and she said..what is "kaba?".. i said that cube in Mecca..we direct our prayer to (Qibla)..she STILL did not get it. I said the first house of worship build by Adam(as) and rebuild by Ibrahim (as)..

She STILL did not get it.. and my mother also (she is illiterate) did not get it. I was getting SOO ANNOYED by it, i grabbed my phone and google it to show them a picture of the ka'bah.

You never know what was their reply =_=!..."ooh you mean "ka'bah" and Kurds call it "black stone" she said and also my mother said this is called the black stone. When i heard that i wanted to pull out my hair because of frustration. I then google the black stone on the side of the ka'bah and said THIS is the black stone, the cube it self is called the ka'bah. That being 45 minutes later on.

These days, i just do not argue anymore, because it is ONLY frustration upon frustration and in the end they brand me as if i do not know what i am talking about, like in the past facebook did not work (blocked by the government) and my mother a few hours later was saying does internet work again? I said huh what do you mean? She said, that i said internet did not work..i said i never said such a thing, then she branded me as if i forgot it and did not know what i was talking about..later on i said you mean facebook? but for her facebook internet..all the same XD. So sister please forgive them and forgive me for not wanting to further dig in to this. Maybe you could print the picture of Tursi and try to explain it to those shops. I am not sure if you currently still live in Saudi, if so, there are those small shops full of spices MAYBE they can help you with it.

Women from the Middle East are a DISASTER when it comes to teach somebody how to make certain dish. Just today was talking and confirming what needs to be put in lentils soup, I HAD to bring it up to add salt to it or not..or else they would never have said that i need to add salt to it XD. VERY VERY VERY BAD TEACHER!!. i for bigger part of my life grew up in the west and things are done in steps and tried to explain in as many details as possible. Like reading a recipe exaclty x amount of tea spoons, or x amount of certain liquid...keep it on the fire for x amount of time..look at the color should look like x..these things as a guidance how to properly make certain dish.

*charisma*
05-19-2017, 08:10 PM
I know XD ...but i do not know how to communicate with my sister or mother. They do not get those things.. in the past sub'han'Allah i was like for almost 30 minutes trying to explain "Ka'bah". I said "kaba" because i do not speak Arabic and she said..what is "kaba?".. i said that cube in Mecca..we direct our prayer to (Qibla)..she STILL did not get it. I said the first house of worship build by Adam(as) and rebuild by Ibrahim (as)..

She STILL did not get it.. and my mother also (she is illiterate) did not get it. I was getting SOO ANNOYED by it, i grabbed my phone and google it to show them a picture of the ka'bah.

You never know what was their reply =_=!..."ooh you mean "ka'bah" and Kurds call it "black stone" she said and also my mother said this is called the black stone. When i heard that i wanted to pull out my hair because of frustration. I then google the black stone on the side of the ka'bah and said THIS is the black stone, the cube it self is called the ka'bah. That being 45 minutes later on.

These days, i just do not argue anymore, because it is ONLY frustration upon frustration and in the end they brand me as if i do not know what i am talking about, like in the past facebook did not work (blocked by the government) and my mother a few hours later was saying does internet work again? I said huh what do you mean? She said, that i said internet did not work..i said i never said such a thing, then she branded me as if i forgot it and did not know what i was talking about..later on i said you mean facebook? but for her facebook internet..all the same XD. So sister please forgive them and forgive me for not wanting to further dig in to this. Maybe you could print the picture of Tursi and try to explain it to those shops. I am not sure if you currently still live in Saudi, if so, there are those small shops full of spices MAYBE they can help you with it.
looooooool awww that's soo cute!! ;D You getting frustrated?? you should be cracking up. Subhanallah. I'd be laughing so hard lool

Don't worry about the tursi spices, I'll figure it out inshallah :D The spice shops here should have all the spices I need.

Women from the Middle East are a DISASTER when it comes to teach somebody how to make certain dish. Just today was talking and confirming what needs to be put in lentils soup, I HAD to bring it up to add salt to it or not..or else they would never have said that i need to add salt to it XD. VERY VERY VERY BAD TEACHER!!. i for bigger part of my life grew up in the west and things are done in steps and tried to explain in as many details as possible. Like reading a recipe exaclty x amount of tea spoons, or x amount of certain liquid...keep it on the fire for x amount of time..look at the color should look like x..these things as a guidance how to properly make certain dish.
ok that's good, so you have measuring things ;D do you have baking soda (bicarbonate) and baking powder? sugar, eggs, regular flour, etc.

Umm♥Layth
05-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Not the best photo, but its what I'm having right now. I made some very simple oatmeal cookies with some cinnamon tea:statisfie

Ingredients for the cookies were:
3/4C Rolled oats
1 Banana
1/4 C Raisins
1 Tbsp Sucanat
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Milk (I used cashew "milk")
I added some anise seeds for extra flavor. They are chewy, not crunchy and just about fat free and very low cal. My daughter has been harassing me to make cookies with her lol, she's eager to learn new recipes so I figured this was a good start to baking.

sister herb
06-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Sweet rhubarb soup

6 stems of rhubarb, about 700 g
8 dl of water
2 dl sugar
4 tbsp potato flour

Rinse the rhubarb and cut them into pieces.
Boil water and sugar and add rhubarb. Boil until rhubarb soften.
Mix the potato flour with a small amount of water and add to the kettle in a thin strip with gently stirring. Let it boil fast.
Pour the soup into the bowl to cool and sprinkle some sugar on the surface.
Serve with milk or vanilla sauce.

Indefinable
06-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Pancakes..well i only poured it in the pan ..that was like 16 years ago. But i never made the mix. The pancakes later on i just bought at the store..no taste..but still alhamdulillah. Well i have a measuring cup to use for making bread...i can buy a whisk..no baking pans with those certain kind of distinct shapes. Do i need those?

Hmm.

Life_Is_Short
06-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Rice pudding.

Really easy and really delicious!

Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir rice into boiling water. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a clean saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar, cardamom and cinnamon to taste. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes.
Top with a topping of your choice, almonds, pistachio, coconut or dates.

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Sisters, do give me your experience when we talking about baking bread...here it goes what i so far am stuck at.

https://app.box.com/s/clveimuxi8f5cui2243uwb8j3su75w3k
https://app.box.com/s/it4kzic0mjj7a5sq221iaeujg27o06g9
https://app.box.com/s/ubpixkzanxqywh56c3m9r5jurz8s0xsj

I was done kneading the bread around 11:00, i let it rose for like 6 hours and started baking it around 17:00. I put the combi-microwave (hot air mode) reach 220 c and put the bread in the iron metal box...of course put some oil on the walls of it, so it would not stick to it.

When i put it in, i lowered the temperature to 180 c after 10 minutes and let it bake for like 30 minutes. However it did not rose beyond 6 cm when i was baking it. I have about 7 gr of yeast and 1 tea spoon of salt with about 330 ml of lukewarm water. With that it is around 500 gr of flower (whole wheat flour).

The outside is hard, i have heard from my neighbor that i need to cool it down and the outside will become soft itself.

btw, before kneading i first threw some flour in then some salt..mixed it and then put the yeast in it and mixed it. I heard in the past that salt kills the yeast so try to not put them directly on top of one another and then mix it, rather mix it and then throw the other one in and mix it again.

So sisters if you want some good deeds still during ramadan..PLEASE HELP me with old grandma wisdom and knowledge that i do not possess when talking about making own bread. I am planning to start making own bread and stop buying the poison from the store.

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 06:00 PM
I was done kneading the bread around 11:00, i let it rose for like 6 hours and started baking it around 17:00. I put the combi-microwave (hot air mode) reach 220 c and put the bread in the iron metal box...of course put some oil on the walls of it, so it would not stick to it.

When i put it in, i lowered the temperature to 180 c after 10 minutes and let it bake for like 30 minutes. However it did not rose beyond 6 cm when i was baking it. I have about 7 gr of yeast and 1 tea spoon of salt with about 330 ml of lukewarm water. With that it is around 500 gr of flower (whole wheat flour).
Between the time you put it in the pan and in the oven, did you let it rise a second time??

sister herb
06-18-2017, 06:07 PM
6 hours rising time sounds quite long. I use only 30 minutes time for rising. Also only 7 gr yeast is very little amount (with 330 ml water). I usually make bread with 500 ml water and 50 gr yeast. If you use dry yeast, then 25 gr is enough. That´s true that salt may reduces activity of yeast but it doesn´t "kill" it. But adding oil to dough too early may cause problems when dought is rising. When bread is ready, I usually let it cool under a kitchen towel. Then it becomes softer also outside.

As you have made a tin loaf bread, here is similar recipe:

http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/12_11.htm

Here is one my recipe:

500 ml lukewarm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey or molasse
25 gr yeast (I usually use 50 gr)
1,2 desiliter (1200 ml) wheat flour
2 tablespoon vegetable oil

Mix with yeast, salt, and honey in hand-warm water. Add flour and vegetable oil. Stir but leave the dough soft. Cover the dough with a towel. Raise 30 minutes.

Grease the baking boxes (this amount of dough is enough for 2 breads). Press the dough to the baking box with oily hands. Let to rise 20 to 30 minutes.
Bake at 200 C, 45 to 60 minutes.
Allow to cool for a while, Undo and cool under a kitchen towel.

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Between the time you put it in the pan and in the oven, did you let it rise a second time??

OOh so i need to rise it twice? First just in a bowl and second time in the bread pan itself?

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
6 hours rising time sounds quite long. I use only 30 minutes time for rising. Also only 7 gr yeast is very little amount (with 330 ml water). I usually make bread with 500 ml water and 50 gr yeast. If you use dry yeast, then 25 gr is enough. That´s true that salt may reduces activity of yeast but it doesn´t "kill" it. But adding oil to dough too early may cause problems when dought is rising. When bread is ready, I usually let it cool under a kitchen towel. Then it becomes softer also outside.

As you have made a tin loaf bread, here is similar recipe:

http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/12_11.htm

Here is one my recipe:

500 ml lukewarm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey or molasse
25 gr yeast (I usually use 50 gr)
1,2 desiliter (1200 ml) wheat flour
2 tablespoon vegetable oil

Mix with yeast, salt, and honey in hand-warm water. Add flour and vegetable oil. Stir but leave the dough soft. Cover the dough with a towel. Raise 30 minutes.

Grease the baking boxes (this amount of dough is enough for 2 breads). Press the dough to the baking box with oily hands. Let to rise 20 to 30 minutes.
Bake at 200 C, 45 to 60 minutes.
Allow to cool for a while, Undo and cool under a kitchen towel.
Oke, in'sha'Allah soon my second attempt.

sister herb
06-18-2017, 06:27 PM
OOh so i need to rise it twice? First just in a bowl and second time in the bread pan itself?
Yes. If you don´t rise it twice, result might be just what you have got.

When I was in the cooking school, I once forgot to rise my breads the second time and result was quite... rock-hard buns. The teacher wasn´t happy. :embarrass

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Yes. If you don´t rise it twice, result might be just what you have got.

When I was in the cooking school, I once forgot to rise my breads the second time and result was quite... rock-hard buns. The teacher wasn´t happy. :embarrass
On the yeast packaging it really says for 500 gr of flour..so 7 gr for 500 gr of flour..and you are saying 25 gr. I mean if you would have said 9 gr or even 10 gr, but 25 gr??..what is going on??

Btw, in the bread pan when i already smeared the sides with oil and let it rose once again. I can then just put it in the oven no more touching it?

Now i am SUPER confused and all..why are there conflicting guide lines? Are people trying to "prank" you for the sake of fun of it? I am a man of logic..just say use this this and this..

How come the package it self something COMPLETELY different then what you are saying? Are you saying they are lying?

I just want a bread this size..

https://app.box.com/s/iqi7snpw4nkcjox80k2kjbkqpgvila8d

https://app.box.com/s/itjspyqm01akhnnlv1sv69lpaeuf59u2

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Yes..it should rise above the pan rims. Also your dough looks dense, i feel like maybe you didnt add enough water, there wasnt enough yeast, and/or maybe the oven was too hot. Usually loaf breads take about 50 minutes. And they should be soft and fluffy inside while the outside is hard at first but gets soft after a few mins. Also if the water temperature is right, it will not need 6 hrs to rise.

sister herb
06-18-2017, 06:43 PM
I don´t know what kind of yeast you have so better if you follow the orders of packet. Many products might be different in other countries. Sorry, I of course was thinking yeast products I use in here.

You can sprinkle the bread with a fork a few times before you bake it. It prevents bread ripening in the oven.

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 06:49 PM
I don´t know what kind of yeast you have so better if you follow the orders of packet. Many products might be different in other countries. Sorry, I of course was thinking yeast products I use in here.

You can sprinkle the bread with a fork a few times before you bake it. It prevents bread ripening in the oven.
Oke, this is how i am going to do in'sha'Allah.

500 gr of whole wheat flour, 330 ml of luke-warm water, 7 gr of yeast, 1 tea spoon of salt, rub the sides of the bread box with oil.

After kneading it the first time, let it rise for 30 minutes, then change it in to shape of the box and once again let it rise for 30 minutes in the bread box. In the mean time let the combi-micro wave on hot air mode reach temperature of 220 c. After that put the bread box in and leave it for 10 minutes on 210 c and bring it back to 180 c for 30 minutes.

If that is done, i will take it out in'sha'Allah and leave it to cool down under a kitchen towel for some time.

Did i miss something?

ps, does the height matter? Because i put it on a grate that is used i believe for other dishes. or just leave the bread box on the floor of the combi-microwave?

Also, isn't yeast..just yeast? (mine is dry yeast). I leave it in the refrigerator, until i need to use it.

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 06:50 PM
On the yeast packaging it really says for 500 gr of flour..so 7 gr for 500 gr of flour..and you are saying 25 gr. I mean if you would have said 9 gr or even 10 gr, but 25 gr??..what is going on??

Btw, in the bread pan when i already smeared the sides with oil and let it rose once again. I can then just put it in the oven no more touching it?

Now i am SUPER confused and all..why are there conflicting guide lines? Are people trying to "prank" you for the sake of fun of it? I am a man of logic..just say use this this and this..

How come the package it self something COMPLETELY different then what you are saying? Are you saying they are lying?

I actually think the yeast amount you used should work..but you did something wrong. You shouldnt need more but because it didnt rise that 2nd time it came out like that.

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 06:50 PM

I actually think the yeast amount you used should work..but you did something wrong. You shouldnt need more but because it didnt rise that 2nd time it came out like that.

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 06:53 PM

Wait what confuses me even more is this. In the past lets say the time of Rasullah(saws). How did they get their hands on yeast, as yeast is bacteria right? By giving it more time to rise, one can use less yeast right? Also did you ever made bread WITHOUT yeast?

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 06:56 PM

500 gr of whole wheat flour, 330 ml of luke-warm water, 7 gr of yeast, 1 tea spoon of salt, rub the sides of the bread box with oil.

After kneading it the first time, let it rise for 30 minutes, then change it in to shape of the box and once again let it rise for 30 minutes in the bread box. In the mean time let the combi-micro wave on hot air mode reach temperature of 220 c. After that put the bread box in and leave it for 10 minutes on 210 c and bring it back to 180 c for 30 minutes.

If that is done, i will take it out in'sha'Allah and leave it to cool down under a kitchen towel for some time.

Did i miss something?

ps, does the height matter? Because i put it on a grate that is used i believe for other dishes. or just leave the bread box on the floor of the combi-microwave?

Also, isn't yeast..just yeast? (mine is dry yeast). I leave it in the refrigerator, until i need to use it.
Do not use luke warm. You need water that is warm for a bath like around 43C. And you have to let it rise until the dough doubles in size. Afterwards, take push out the air and form it into a ball shape that fits the pan and put it in the pan. Let it rise a 2nd time til its above the pan and place it in the preheated oven @180c. It shouldnt take long to rise a 2nd time.

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Did i miss something?

Do not use luke warm. You need water that is warm for a bath like around 43C. And you have to let it rise until the dough doubles in size. Afterwards, take push out the air and form it into a ball shape that fits the pan and put it in the pan. Let it rise a 2nd time til its above the pan and place it in the preheated oven @180c. It shouldnt take long to rise a 2nd time.

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Wait what confuses me even more is this. In the past lets say the time of Rasullah(saws). How did they get their hands on yeast, as yeast is bacteria right? By giving it more time to rise, one can use less yeast right? Also did you ever made bread WITHOUT yeast?
Yes you can make flat breads without yeast like rotis and wraps/tortillas :P but those are made on the stove. Yeast eventually dies because there isnt enough sugar for it to feed on but that takes like 2 days. But the gas coming from yeast is what makes bread fluffy so if you dont let that gas happen the bread becomes dense. Im on my mobile so this is too much to explain :P

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 07:11 PM
But i need to shape it to the shape of the bread box right? Because the bread will rise, but not expand horizontally right?

Sorry to say this sister, but conflicting messages are so tiring for me. On internet people say luke-warm water, you say warm water, some people say need to give more time to rise, some say no you don't, some say indeed about 25 gr of yeast sister herb is not the only one saying this..while some say even 5 gr of yeast..

What is this .....(you fill the word) because this is really frustrating and infuriating. Is there TOO MUCH to ask to make a SIMPLE bread these days? (I am not attacking you guys, but just in general why people say thing that are not close to each other but rather on the different end of the rope.

It is like somebody saying..no you must NOT use sugar, but salt, while somebody else says..no salt, but sugar, and somebody else says no sugar or salt, but vinegar. What is going on..

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Yes you can make flat breads without yeast like rotis and wraps/tortillas :P but those are made on the stove. Yeast eventually dies because there isnt enough sugar for it to feed on but that takes like 2 days. But the gas coming from yeast is what makes bread fluffy so if you dont let that gas happen the bread becomes dense. Im on my mobile so this is too much to explain :P
Oke, finally some logic..that i can follow. Yeast only needed for bread to rise or else it will become dense. Makes sense...like what happened to this bread i baked.

However, what is this whole issue with sister herb then also saying 500 gr can be used for 2 bread? Does she has some other type of bread in mind? I am talking about height of 12 cm and about 31 cm in length..the typical english bread.

Because making wraps type of bread (nan), with 500 gr of flour you can make A LOT of nan.

Our Kurdish nan bread type..

sister herb
06-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Yeast is one specific of fungus.

The oldest way is of course make bread without yeast. I have done such breads many times. We call them in my country as "rieska". Once my grandfather teached me how to make such bread; mix wheat flour, salt and water, make flat bread between your hands and bake it on the flat stone beside of the campfire. At the time of the Prophet they might made bread by the similar method.

About yeast and rising time; no, you still need same amount of yeast. If you let your bread dough rise too long time, it will falls and result is just same if you don´t rise dough at all.

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 08:23 PM
But i need to shape it to the shape of the bread box right? Because the bread will rise, but not expand horizontally right?

Sorry to say this sister, but conflicting messages are so tiring for me. On internet people say luke-warm water, you say warm water, some people say need to give more time to rise, some say no you don't, some say indeed about 25 gr of yeast sister herb is not the only one saying this..while some say even 5 gr of yeast..

What is this .....(you fill the word) because this is really frustrating and infuriating. Is there TOO MUCH to ask to make a SIMPLE bread these days? (I am not attacking you guys, but just in general why people say thing that are not close to each other but rather on the different end of the rope.

It is like somebody saying..no you must NOT use sugar, but salt, while somebody else says..no salt, but sugar, and somebody else says no sugar or salt, but vinegar. What is going on..
There's a science behind making bread. So I'll try to explain this the best I can inshallah.

You have to create an environment where the yeast will be active. The optimal environment for yeast is with water at 43-46C. If it is higher than that, the yeast will die, and if it is lower than that, then the yeast will just work more slowly.

Next, in regards to how much yeast. The more yeast you put in, the more activity will be in the dough, so that means it will rise a lot faster since they are eating the sugars in the dough. What will happen if you put too much yeast? The dough may collapse because all of the yeast will be active at one time eating all the sugars until there are none left to keep the dough fluffy. (Imagine mixing vinegar and baking soda. The solution fizzes up really fast, but then it dies out.) So dependiing on how much yeast you use, you can have it rise a little bit (for things like pizza and flat breads), or a lot (for breads like yours).

The reason for the second rise is because while the yeast is in it's active mode after you make the dough, the dough starts rising. So when it doubles in size, you punch out all of the air inside and redistribute the food for the yeast. So now they will be even more active, but you will need to let the dough rise again in the pan so that you can bake it.

Bread is very forgiving, that means you can do it more than one way and it will still come out good. For example, you can make dough and let it rise in the fridge! It will develop more flavor and you can bake it the next day. You can use lukewarm water or optimal temp. water. You can add salt with or without the yeast (I personally never saw the difference). All methods will work because it can be made different ways.

In regards to shaping the dough. It doesn't have to be perfectly shaped, because as it rises the 2nd time it will take the form of the pan on its own. Just roll it into a ball and shape it a bit to fit the pan properly.

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 08:36 PM
There's a science behind making bread. So I'll try to explain this the best I can inshallah.

You have to create an environment where the yeast will be active. The optimal environment for yeast is with water at 43-46C. If it is higher than that, the yeast will die, and if it is lower than that, then the yeast will just work more slowly.

Next, in regards to how much yeast. The more yeast you put in, the more activity will be in the dough, so that means it will rise a lot faster since they are eating the sugars in the dough. What will happen if you put too much yeast? The dough may collapse because all of the yeast will be active at one time eating all the sugars until there are none left to keep the dough fluffy. (Imagine mixing vinegar and baking soda. The solution fizzes up really fast, but then it dies out.) So dependiing on how much yeast you use, you can have it rise a little bit (for things like pizza and flat breads), or a lot (for breads like yours).

The reason for the second rise is because while the yeast is in it's active mode after you make the dough, the dough starts rising. So when it doubles in size, you punch out all of the air inside and redistribute the food for the yeast. So now they will be even more active, but you will need to let the dough rise again in the pan so that you can bake it.

Bread is very forgiving, that means you can do it more than one way and it will still come out good. For example, you can make dough and let it rise in the fridge! It will develop more flavor and you can bake it the next day.

In regards to shaping the dough. It doesn't have to be perfectly shaped, because as it rises the 2nd time it will take the form of the pan on its own. Just roll it into a ball and shape it a bit to fit the pan properly.
This i can finally understand. So much depends on what kind of bread you want, but also how much time you want to spend on it..are you in a haste? or do you have more time to spare..etc.

Another question to this is, lets say i even put 50 gr of yeast in it and let it do what it wants to do. Is it bad for my health? Although the bacteria might die, because lack of sugar after some time, but still what happens to their "bodies"?? What is the science behind that?

You say 40-43C, regular tap water (warm water) it is said here that better to not use it, because it contains more lead in warm tap water. So how do you do it? Boiling the water reaches i believe 100C doing so as it evaporates when reaching it. But that again is too hot for the yeast...

sister herb
06-18-2017, 09:01 PM
I warm the water in the kettle but I don´t let it to boil. As it has to be lukewarm, I try it with my finger. You soon will learn to figure the right temperature by this way. +42 or 43 C is a little warmer than your finger but not burning. When water is +60 C, you can see the water vapor (then better not to put your finger to there any more). Or if you like, you can use candy thermometer.

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 09:27 PM
This i can finally understand. So much depends on what kind of bread you want, but also how much time you want to spend on it..are you in a haste? or do you have more time to spare..etc.

Another question to this is, lets say i even put 50 gr of yeast in it and let it do what it wants to do. Is it bad for my health? Although the bacteria might die, because lack of sugar after some time, but still what happens to their "bodies"?? What is the science behind that?

You say 40-43C, regular tap water (warm water) it is said here that better to not use it, because it contains more lead in warm tap water. So how do you do it? Boiling the water reaches i believe 100C doing so as it evaporates when reaching it. But that again is too hot for the yeast...
Yes you got it!

Loool @ bodies. They die/get cooked in the bread. They are actually still active for a bit in the oven and yes it is safe to eat. Dead yeast i hear is very nutritional. Idk much about it though.

As for the water, i usually heat it up in a cup for 30 sec in the microwave, or as sis herb sugested you can use a stove. If it is too hot which happens to me sometimes, add room temperature water until it reaches the temperature you want. Also if you have, a thermometer helps a lot.

sister herb
06-18-2017, 09:41 PM
I almost lost my appetite while thinking that I eat dead bodies of yeast when eating bread...

:uuh:

I better not to think about it at all.

*charisma*
06-18-2017, 09:45 PM
I almost lost my appetite while thinking that I eat dead bodies of yeast when eating bread...
;D ;D dead yeast bodies is what gives bread that nice flavor mmmmm

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 11:52 PM

:uuh:

I better not to think about it at all.
It is what it is. Enjoy their "intestines" as well. Also enjoy eating or swallowing their "gasses" ;D

Simple_Person
06-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Yes you got it!

Loool @ bodies. They die/get cooked in the bread. They are actually still active for a bit in the oven and yes it is safe to eat. Dead yeast i hear is very nutritional. Idk much about it though.

As for the water, i usually heat it up in a cup for 30 sec in the microwave, or as sis herb sugested you can use a stove. If it is too hot which happens to me sometimes, add room temperature water until it reaches the temperature you want. Also if you have, a thermometer helps a lot.
This suddenly now makes perfect sense. As the definition of bread isn't the same with everybody that is why much of the recipe is so different that it sounds contradictory. Not everybody really are aiming to make English bread rather just some "beatiful for the eyes"buns and such which I don't care whatsoever if it looks beautiful.

I am a very practical person as long as it is tasty and healthy and able to make a sandwich with it I am a happy camper.

MuslimInshallah
06-19-2017, 01:51 AM
Assalaamu alaikum Simple Person,

(smile) Making bread is an art, in my opinion. For years, I tried on and off following recipes and all sorts of conflicting advice. And my bread was... (twinkle) solidly nutritious.

Then I learnt how to make very simple bread. You need good quality bread flour (pastry flour is no good). You need to look around, and experiment with different flours to find one that works well for you. You might also wish to mix white and whole wheat flour.

With a large family, and not much time, I just made a simple, not very fluffy bread. (smile) I can't give you exact quantities, because 1) I had to learn this in an environment without exact devices, and 2) the environmental conditions make a difference (for instance, the amount of humidity in the air and the temperature).

(smile) You just need a big bowl, a baking sheet, an oven, flour, salt, yeast and warm (not hot) water. Scoop a few good-sized handfuls of flour into the bowl, add enough yeast to fill the hollow part of the palm of your hand (the exact quantity is not super important- if you have a bit less yeast, it may take a bit more time to rise the dough. But don't go overboard...there are limits to how fast the dough will rise. And the taste may be a bit different with too much. Also... your hands may be larger than my small ones...). Then add less than this of salt (different people have different tastes, and you can adjust to what you prefer over time). Mix all the dry ingredients. Then you add water. (smile) I prefer from the tap when possible, because it's just so much easier...

How much water? Well you need enough to make a soft, not sticky dough. If you put too much, and your dough is sticky, just knead in a little more flour. Bread is very forgiving. Then you can knead the dough in the bowl (I do this kneeling on the floor, so I can use my weight to help me knead- (smile) I am not a very strong person). You can knead, and sort of flip the bowl around in a circle to knead from all directions. The advantage to doing the kneading in the bowl is it really cuts down on clean-up afterwards. (smile) Don't worry if your dough is not perfect- you will learn over time what "feels" right. If the bread is a bit dense... that's ok. You can still eat it, and it's nice and filling. (smile) Of course, you will never get bread that's like store-bought bread... but that's an advantage, in my opinion. Store-bought bread is not very filling. Good quality bakeries can make real, wholesome bread that is also fairly fluffy. (smile) However, after discussing their methods with a local baker, I realized that I don't have the time to do everything they do, nor to watch the time for the different steps. If you really want fluffy bread and have time... then perhaps you could go and chat with a local baker?

The dough should be soft and very slightly sticky, but not enough to adhere to the skin on your wrist. I leave the bread to rise just once. The bread should be sealed in a warm place. You could put a lid on the bowl, or use a plastic bag. If it is cold and dry (like a Canadian winter!), then you might want to wrap your covered bowl in a comforter or blanket. Or you could warm your oven and put the covered bowl in (a bit warm only! Not too much, or it will be too hot and kill your yeast... though if your yeast does die, you can dissolve some more in a little water, and knead it into the dough, adding flour as needed to get the right consistency. Bread is forgiving...). (smile) I wouldn't use a plastic bag as a cover in the oven, though. I personally use a very large pot lid with cans of food to weight it tightly shut.

Once risen, you can form a couple of balls with the dough. Flour your hand a little, and form disks of dough by squishing and stretching. Rub flour on one side (so the dough won't stick to the baking sheet), then put the disk on the baking sheet. Make a hole in the centre (it cooks better like this, though the hole may close during baking). Put the baking sheet(s) in a cold oven, and set the temperature to 400 degrees fahrenheit. The length of time will depend on your oven, and on the size of your bread. But my roughly 8 inch disks cook in 45 minutes into round loaves.

(smile) This may seem hard at first. And your bread may not be perfect immediately. But it is simple, fairly quick, and my children liked the fresh bread.

(smile) I hope this hasn't confused you more. Basically, just be prepared to experiment. Like all arts, bread making takes time to learn to do well. (smile) Or in my case, adequately.

May God, the Kind, Bless you for your efforts to eat food that is wholesome, halal and therefore pleasing to Him.

Simple_Person
07-11-2017, 01:54 AM
-
Oke, i have went to my aunt and i have done the study about iprax/dolma..a SHOCKING truth. This finding puts the iprax/dolma of the Kurds on a WHOLE different level than the ones made by others.

What is this finding i am talking about? To get the delicious sourly taste of the iprax/dolma, my aunt and my sister (on the phone) confirmed to me that Kurds use smaq. According to my aunt is that the Turks and others use a lot of tomato puree to get this sourly taste, which makes sense why when i eat those yaprax to me it has no flavor, while this specific sourly taste is what it makes to me my favorite dish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumac

So knowing this important ingredient what else have i come to know?

How she made it.

These are stuffed (although i have also said sometimes onions, potatoes, eggplants are used as well)

- Grape leaves
- Some leaves of a vegetable that i do not know how it is called, although it isn't necessary to also make it with hits
- ox heart cabbage
- bell peppers

Picture 1 bell peppers: https://app.box.com/s/p9gjufbsiufblyzghe9zgf2d36kilqyu
Picture 2 bell peppers: https://app.box.com/s/982fi7rr5epwgq6i6elsibwctg4p0mlh
Picture 3 grape leaves: https://app.box.com/s/0m4bvyy3hq7t0l26lacmd97dlibx691h
Picture 4 ox-heart cabbage: https://app.box.com/s/toxadiuod2r0f3vxsms0fy2ohlf2ixnn
Picture 5 cheek'n aff couse :) : https://app.box.com/s/ykzc47bm7xgqp6fyw4gw9uxph3meconu
Picture 6 Parsley: https://app.box.com/s/gv4uwv07fhzi5trf6jpo9nu13ghbc5fh
Picture 7 Unknown: https://app.box.com/s/fucqlsioxkd7ghf0bc5r4z925pww2iep
Picture 8 Unknown: https://app.box.com/s/me5snvob947r4w60oy3wayt2gx0d2jql
Picture 9 Unknown: https://app.box.com/s/v3tamtorm268fnctzuazr2x6uj4q8v8s

Do please tell me what that "grass" is called (pictures 7, 8, 9).

The ox-heart cabbage is "boiled" on a small fire so it becomes soft and you can take off the leaves. Directly when the leaves have taken off because they have become soft, the leaves are being washed under cold water (tap water). This to prevent them to become all soft and fall apart. The grape leaves also were for a brief time "boiled" as those leaves i believe were take from the freezer so they can become soft. My aunt said the grape leaves that you have gotten from those jars contain i believe a lot of salt (method to conserve the leaves in the jar). So you have to wash them properly first. That is why fresh grape leaves are better to be used (also off course needs to be cooked first to make them soft to be able to wrap them).

Picture 10 ox-heart cabbage being boiled: https://app.box.com/s/94m5yxg2gb3ks46spslockw7uw6tj924
Picture 11 ox-heart cabbage being boiled: https://app.box.com/s/9bhujk3x0kl9arxflz9udijpnog6t8yy
Picture 12 Grape leaves being boiled: https://app.box.com/s/jh27faytgfch015ux0hdqhu981lz5lvm
Picture 13 boiled ox-heart cabbage leaves washed under tap water: https://app.box.com/s/08k4z1nlf6s2oq9vxe3rnzwty3vk1nae
Picture 14 Washed ox-heart cabbage leaves: https://app.box.com/s/16ytg03eztmb2jclpppsoouwzbbs2gpg
Picture 16 Emptied bell pepper to be filled up later on: https://app.box.com/s/8xzrayf4b64ev36rphh4dk9p2zoatws1
Picture 16 Leaves that have been washed to be used: https://app.box.com/s/31k9uvgmx29bizcgx1y0ne884eqxm7um
Picture 17 Leaves that have been washed to be used: https://app.box.com/s/yhf8fpxvvvjgn94t0674ov3s19wpdgzs
Picture 17 Leaves and other stuff washed ready to be used: https://app.box.com/s/73sriroqmvh18fox8k7pi8purvaleoiq
Picture 18 Chicken being washed: https://app.box.com/s/19ebth43atols4ej787r844gp9gi9ilc

After the preparations, the mix is being created with rice, parsley, some grounded bell peppers, onions, garlic (off with balance). Because my aunt puts them in a blender onions and garlic becomes so fine i do not taste them. My mother however cuts them by hand which to me the taste is very easy to notice when eating yaprax/dolma my other makes. So after everything is being blended rice (washed first)(my aunt said basmati rice is not used because it is too dry) and tomato puree with some seasoning like grounded black pepper.

Picture 19 ready to be blended: https://app.box.com/s/kbktwf6f74yko7ihfqo6s94t5stiwa60
Picture 20 Everything has been blended: https://app.box.com/s/28zg20vj37e7b7s12nnzyfrp2o8jayl0
Picture 21 Completed mix: https://app.box.com/s/x007ux24d6acn2ktadxuvqzovrlhulsz

Now the leaves and bell peppers are being stuffed with the rice mix/stuffing.

Picture 22 Chicken laid down on the bottom of the pan - this gets all the delicious sourly taste in the end: https://app.box.com/s/g2dxg21i54egr1d9468oe1hzq7nrlws6
Picture 23 stuffed bell pepper: https://app.box.com/s/ockpkemo4saoy4ksdwm573yt91py1i2q
Picture 24 wrapped of those unknown leaves: https://app.box.com/s/ajzlbitph6i9n7ai9tlnd5wgwck606ws
Picture 25 Layers are being created in the pan: https://app.box.com/s/c5aa13hqahf59znpisj1xj2azk7p4dmi
Picture 26 Last wrapped leaves fill up: https://app.box.com/s/snueuurkckkhgfbijdrg4yb7mk549zhc

Because certain leaves (ox-heart cabbage laves) are quite large, she splits them from the middle. So they do not get too large. After the wrapping/stuffing is done it is being put on the fire with i believe also some oil added to it, water, salt, and sumaq. Every now and then they are being checked and some water is being added so it does not burn but the rice is being boiled. She said in that very large pan about 3 spoons of smuq are being added to it.

Sorry that i do not have any pictures of the end-result. They were very delicious.

*charisma*
07-12-2017, 02:40 AM
Assalamu ALaikum

;D I sure did enjoy your post bro. We use sumac in general, but you're right, I've never heard about it being used in dolmas. That is a cool find.
The best grape leaves are the ones that are naturally really sour..they're sooooo good! However, another trick to achieve that is by using citric acid aka lemon salt. It works really well too if one cannot find a good quality sumac in their area. Alhemdulilah you enjoyed the meal. The stuffing looks delicious mashallah :D Kudos to your aunt for being able to feed you the mafia family. Subhanallah it's a lot of work and it's eaten in only a matter of minutes :p

Do please tell me what that "grass" is called (pictures 7, 8, 9).
That looks like swiss chard, or baby swiss because the leaves are small. We call it silq.

Simple_Person
07-12-2017, 02:58 AM
Assalamu ALaikum

;D I sure did enjoy your post bro. We use sumac in general, but you're right, I've never heard about it being used in dolmas. That is a cool find.
The best grape leaves are the ones that are naturally really sour..they're sooooo good! However, another trick to achieve that is by using citric acid aka lemon salt. It works really well too if one cannot find a good quality sumac in their area. Alhemdulilah you enjoyed the meal. The stuffing looks delicious mashallah :D Kudos to your aunt for being able to feed you the mafia family. Subhanallah it's a lot of work and it's eaten in only a matter of minutes :p

That looks like swiss chard, or baby swiss because the leaves are small. We call it silq.
Yes she also indeed said some try to use lemon salt to get the taste but nothing beats sumac to get the taste. I speak out of eating experience :). I would say try it once..once you go sumac you go towards success and don't take less than it.

It is indeed swiss chard. JazakAllah khairan. Gonna try to find the seeds or some sort to grow them on my balcony as well.

Btw that "blender" is a slicer. I hope you have come to know enough about it to give you a direction how to go and make it. I am ready to do my thesis about it so I can finish iprax/dolman school.

Simple_Person
07-12-2017, 06:16 PM
-
A update about sumaq in iprax/dolma. My sister said the sumaq is put in a colander like these..with very small holes so the sumaq does not go through it. The sour water from that is poured with the iprax/dolma (after they have been put on fire).

*charisma*
07-13-2017, 06:25 AM
A update about sumaq in iprax/dolma. My sister said the sumaq is put in a colander like these..with very small holes so the sumaq does not go through it. The sour water from that is poured with the iprax/dolma (after they have been put on fire).
Ok that's good you mentioned that because I would have just sprinkled it in loool. BTW have you tried baking bread again?

Simple_Person
07-13-2017, 06:47 AM
Ok that's good you mentioned that because I would have just sprinkled it in loool. BTW have you tried baking bread again?
Yeah, i was also planning to sprinkle it over ;D.

One of these days i am having guests so after they have left i will in'sha'Allah try to bake the bread again. I am trying slowly to change habits in this case making own bread. To lay certain foundation one should not rush it, but be determined to do so. With it, by taking your time you can reflect every action done when experimenting with it, so you do not have a habit that is not solid (bread that has no taste or force the habit while the heart has not accepted it yet. This being you rejecting it.).

*charisma*
07-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Yeah, i was also planning to sprinkle it over ;D.

One of these days i am having guests so after they have left i will in'sha'Allah try to bake the bread again. I am trying slowly to change habits in this case making own bread. To lay certain foundation one should not rush it, but be determined to do so. With it, by taking your time you can reflect every action done when experimenting with it, so you do not have a habit that is not solid (bread that has no taste or force the habit while the heart has not accepted it yet. This being you rejecting it.).
I don't know about the types of flours they have where you live, but if you have strong flour (also called bread flour), you should try that first. You will make great bread. Otherwise use plain flour (also called all purpose flour) which is also good for a beginner. Once you achieve that, then you can start mixing whole wheat or other types of flour/grains into it. I've baked bread a lot so inshallah I'll try to get pics and better directions the next time I make it. :)

Simple_Person
07-13-2017, 09:48 PM
I don't know about the types of flours they have where you live, but if you have strong flour (also called bread flour), you should try that first. You will make great bread. Otherwise use plain flour (also called all purpose flour) which is also good for a beginner. Once you achieve that, then you can start mixing whole wheat or other types of flour/grains into it. I've baked bread a lot so inshallah I'll try to get pics and better directions the next time I make it. :)
Well I'm tying up the knots to be honest. To meet all my promises I have made to any one here on the forum or in general..also with bread. I'm planning to close my account. So in'sha'Allah within 2 weeks actively do what needs to be done with baking bread.

LaSorcia
07-14-2017, 12:04 AM
I made up a recipe for pasta. Cook 1 pound of pasta (.5 kilos) of pasta. Fresh is best!

For the sauce: In a blender put 3 pounds of roasted red peppers, about 1/3 cup basil pesto, a generous helping of garlic paste or fresh minced garlic and about 3 ounces of torn fresh basil leaves. Add some sea salt, ground pepper and olive oil. Puree. Wilt 1 pound of fresh spinach in a skillet, and then add to blender and puree. Add the sauce to the pasta in a large pot and stir. Add about 1/2-3/4 cups of sour cream to the pot and stir in. This is a family favourite and halaal as well. :)

Simple_Person
08-21-2017, 01:57 PM
-
New update. The Ipraq/Dolma using Sumaq, not the ones that have been grinded. Just the ones that have been taken off the tree and like that. My sister said put them in water and slowly "massage" them so they can release their taste in to the water. She said the water with the sour taste, pour it with the ipraq/dolma..not too soon but also not to late. A bit in between. The rice needs to be cooked.

Simple_Person
08-23-2017, 07:07 AM
Sumac that is not processed yet.

https://app.box.com/s/dlwq8cuywx3ru5eapac9vfc2q7w51qib
https://app.box.com/s/dttc83bv4pjww3untftewmz66sfjw2w8

sister herb
09-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Gooseberry cheese cake

125 g butter
1,5 dl sugar (150 ml)
1 egg
1,5 dl wheat flour (150 ml)
1 dl potato flour* (100 ml)
1 teaspoon baking powder
(1 teaspoon vanilla sugar)
500 ml mashed gooseberries*
sugar (springling to the berries if needed)

Quark filling:
250 g quark*
0,5 dl milk or cream (50 ml)
o,5 dl sugar (50 ml)
1 egg

*Notes: You can also use only wheat flour (2,5 dl/250 ml). Potato flour makes your cake softer.
Quark is typical for the Nordic and the East European cuisines. Cream cheese or ricotta-type soft cheese might be suitable susbtitutes if quark ("rahka" in my language) is not familiar in your kitchen.
You can use what ever berries you like. Also sliced apples with cinnamon go well.

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg. Mix the flour, baking powder together and add to the mixture. Cut a disk of parchment paper and place on the bottom of a cake pan (diameter about 20 cm). Using your hands, lightly press the soft dough onto the bottom and the sides of the pan. .

Add mashed gooseberries. Pour quark filling over the berries. Bake at +225 C/+392 F for 30 minutes.

sister herb
09-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Same pie but with bilberries:

Umm Abed
09-04-2017, 03:17 PM
You are a traditional baker, tarts always looking really good, yumm! :D

Simple_Person
10-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Oke, the final update about baking bread. I had baked the bread and gave it time to rise also the second time, the first time indeed the result of the final baked bread was better as it had risen to the sides and had the typical sides of a English bread, however it had not risen high enough in height. I thought maybe it was because of the yeast being older than a year. Tried with new bought yeast and indeed everything went oke. Thank you guys for for your shared knowledge and shared experience.

Kawlah
10-11-2017, 03:43 PM
My Samboosas. Not claiming they are authentic, but they are nice.

Samboosas :statisfie

-10 medium sized dates
-20 wonton wrappers
-125 g goat's cheese
-1 large handful of roasted pine nuts
-2 dessert spoons honey
-Sprig of lime juice
-Handful of thinly chopped fresh mint

Halve dates and remove stones. Chop into thin strips.Mix everything in a bowl with a fork except the wonton wrappers.

Put a teaspoon of filling on each wrapper. Wet edges with water. Fold into a tiny package (should be bonbon sized). Brush top with a bit of water. (You can brush with oil if you don't want to keep it low fat)

Put into oven on hot air on 200 celcius for 20 mins. Let cool. Enjoy the smell of your kitchen meanwhile

RisingLight
10-12-2017, 03:05 AM
New Chef in town..I am going to start easy here :P

Attachment 6277

click to enlarge lol this pic is so small here

cinnamonrolls1
02-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Salams all, iv recently discovered this thread and its really good so far! However i was wondering, if any of you know some quick easy recipies for inexperienced and generally not very good at cooking teenagers like could yall share? Im interested in learning how to cook!

BeTheChange
08-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Asalamualykum

Dear sister Herb

I need some new healthy, tasty and filling (I don't ask for much :D) recipes.

Any ideas insha Allah?

*charisma*
08-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Asalamu Alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
I need some new healthy, tasty and filling (I don't ask for much ) recipes.
Maybe more helpful if you define what you consider as healthy ;D

BeTheChange
08-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Maybe more helpful if you define what you consider as healthy ;D
Walaikumasalaam,

Don't tempt me sis! lol.

All the things we know we should eat but don't eat.

Lol how's that for a definition?

*charisma*
08-06-2018, 11:48 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

Don't tempt me sis! lol.

All the things we know we should eat but don't eat.

Lol how's that for a definition?
loool well like my little sister for example, I'll ask her what her favorite vegetable is and she'll say potatoes ;D

Anyways, something I've fallen in love with is zoodles or zucchini noodles. I cook them until they caramelize a bit and add spices, parmesan cheese, and homemade tomato meat sauce. Sometimes I just stir fry it for a few minutes instead of waiting for it to caramelize or I'll cook it into the meat sauce. If it's too much veggie for you, you can use half spaghetti noodles, half zoodles. Other things I like are eggplant or zucchini boats (lots of recipes for those online..I just make it my own). I love carbs so i try to replace them with healthier alternatives when I can :D.

sister herb
08-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Asalamualykum

Dear sister Herb

I need some new healthy, tasty and filling (I don't ask for much :D) recipes.

Any ideas insha Allah?
Wa alaykumussalam

I´ll check my recipe books tomorrow. Soon I need to hurry to the bed as this is my last day of summer vacation and back to school tomorrow.. *sign*

sister herb
10-14-2023, 06:05 PM
Salam alaykum

My sweet tooth told me to come here to this topic again, after a quite long absence. At the last posts before I noticed that someone asked me some healthy food recipes but well sometimes we just need something sweet right?

Chocolate treats

Bottom: almond paste from shop

Make from almost paste little round cakes, about 0.5 cm thick. Bake them in the oven at +175 celcius degrees for 5 minutes.

NOTE: You can also use some of your favorite cookies as bottom part if you like.

Filling:

150 g butter
1,5 desiliter powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tea spoons cocoa powder
2 table spoon water

Beat the room temperature ingredients into a fluffy foam. Keep in the fridge half hour. Pipe the foam over the almond paste bases. Put treats to the freezer for 25 minutes.

On the top:

200 g dark chocolate
2 table spoon coconut butter

Melt in a water bath and dip the well-cooled cakes into the melted chocolate mixture. Chill in the refrigerator.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!