/* */

PDA

View Full Version : wudu for sleeping

elina
05-29-2011, 10:40 AM
assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters

I spend a fair bit of time online reading about Islam, not usually any particular thing, I tend to start reading something then come across a word I dont understand so start reading about that and before I know it I've gone off on a real tangent, but its all good as I read about things I would never have thought to google or ask about.

I've read a few times that we should make wudu before sleeping.

This is the first reference I came across when googling for a link here

VI. Going to sleep in wudu'
5952. Sa'd ibn 'Ubayd said that al-Bara' ibn 'Azib had related to him, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, told me, 'Whenever you go to bed, do wudu' as you do wudu' for the prayer and then lie down on your right side. Then say, "O Allah, I have surrendered myself to You, entrusted my affair to You and relied on You in hope and fear of You. There is no refuge nor rescue from You except in You. O Allah, I have believed in Your Book which You sent down and in Your Prophet whom You sent." If you die that night, then you will be in a state of pure human nature, i.e. Islam. Make that the last of the words that you utter.' I repeated this and when I reached, 'Your Messenger whom You sent' [instead of the Prophet], he said, 'No - "Your Prophet whom You sent."'"

The thing is my husbands madhab means if we touch at all the wudu is invalidated. I've chatted about the wudu bit before on here about how the evidence for it may mean that normal contact is okay but I'm wondering that for the people who believe the slightest physical contact breaks wudu then how can they go to sleep and remain in wudu? Its normal when sleeping to snuggle close and having seperate beds seems sad :( Could it be that accidental contact doesn't break the wudu or do they maybe disregard the above as not being authentic?

oh dear such a long post for such a little thing.... sorry Im just curious :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Riana17
05-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Salam sis,,, my opinion is not based on any of hadith or sunnah or Quranic verse

If I am in your position, I would rather be in my husband's arms than sleep in wudu (do I sound maniac lol)
Bcoz if I worry much about sleeping in wudu, I can meet "death" in our intimacy and surely would affect our relation
But inshallah as I always try, I will keep on thanking & praising Allah before sleeping & after waking up

Islam is not about tighting or keeping you away from halal

My view is similar to someone who died saying "La Ilaha Illalah" which i blv does not fully guarantees he will directly go to heaven,,,
could be (Allah knows best), but if he lived the life full of sin, he may receive a short itinerary to hell before finally destined to Jannah (Allah willing)

salam

al yunan
05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Walaikum Assalam sister,

The Wudu is meant to get you into bed and make your Dua.
What occurs after that does not require you to re take Wudu except of course what necessitates Ghusl for as you mentioned you are married.
The act of taking Wudu for going to sleep is meant as an Ibadah and as a protection even after it is void due to "contact".
Scholars of yesteryear used to recommend it to guarantee safe conception and safety from Jin while being man and wife.
I think I should also mention that should you feel the need to re Wudu for any valid reason or imaginary to feel safe do so (in refference to the above mentioned). Sorry I can't be more explicit due to this being a public forum.
I hope this helps you.

Masalam

elina
05-31-2011, 09:05 AM
aww you don't sound like a maniac riana :) I will be honest and say my opinion is that normal contact wouldn't break the wudu, and my husband has never ever slept with a big gap between us to avoid it :)

Thanks for your answer brother, that was a great explanation :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Riana17
05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
aww you don't sound like a maniac riana :):)
thanks for your support :D
Maybe i didnt get your question right
my answer seems far from the question lool

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!