/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hadith on Reading

Beardo
06-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Do you guys know any Hadith or good quotes from Muslim scholars on READING? Reading in general. Like reading books.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
06-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Any quotes or Hadith at all? Really Nobody here reads or something? Virtues of Reading?

Pure Purple
06-03-2011, 06:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Any quotes or Hadith at all? Really Nobody here reads or something? Virtues of Reading?
My English is very weak
I tried to read hadith but i was not able to understand properly. Because they directly quote from sahih-bukhari but thy are not describing in brief.

Innocent Soul
06-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Brother, I tried this site but I was unable to find much. You can try it yourself.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
06-03-2011, 06:06 PM
:sl:

Do you guys know any Hadith or good quotes from Muslim scholars on READING? Reading in general.
Virtues of Reading?
I don't know if any exist. But I'm not sure if reading in and of itself is a virtuous act. A person might be reading a book, but they might be reading about something sinful etc, so that reading would not be classed as virtuous. I guess what there would be, would be ahadeeth on gaining beneficial knowledge (and reading would be one means of gaining that knowledge).

And let's not forget the first word of the Qur'an to be revealed as well. Iqra'.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

missy
06-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Ibn al-Jawzi also said in the introduction to ‘al-Muntadham fi Tarikh al-Muluk wal-Umam’: “Know that reading stories and history has many benefits. The most important is that it is a means to learning about the most amazing things, significant events in history, the manifestation of destiny, and coming across facts. The soul experiences relaxation when learning facts. Abu ‘Amr bin al-’Ala’ said that it was said to a man from Bakr bin Wa’il who had become old and was no longer able to enjoy the pleasure of food, drink, or marriage: “Do you long for death?” He said: “No,” and he was asked: “What is left for you to enjoy in this world?” He said: “Hearing these amazing stories.”"
^ I think this is referring to reading inspirational stories from the lives of the Salaf….and perhaps even Islamic books.

But I’m guessing that you’re talking about reading novels or something like it.....fiction, I suppose…..
If that’s the case then check out these links….
Reading and writing fantasy stories
Reading fiction and watching science fiction movies
Ruling on reading stories that contain magic

Even I was into reading all such stuff couple of years ago….like mystery, fantasy, diaries and all that nonsense.
But now Alhamdullilah, I’ve realized that it’s a waste of time..

But even reading something non-Islamic, like some facts or history +o( would definitely be beneficial..

And yeah…as Sister Insaanah said, the first verse revealed; “Iqra..”…it emphasizes on ‘reading’…this reminds me of this lecture by Shk. Yasir Qadhi......in which he was talking about the very same verse and he said something of acquiring worldly knowledge…he said that there is a difference between the 1st and the 2nd ‘iqraa’ (notice in the Surah it comes twice)…according to him the 1st refers to reciting/reading the Holy Quran and the 2nd refers to reading/gaining the knowledge of other stuff…
I don’t remember exactly which lecture it was… :-\

Allahu Alam..

wassalaam.

ardianto
06-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Book was not common stuff in Makah-Madinah area during period of Rasulullah (saw). So, I am not sure if we can find a hadith about reading book.

But, bro, if you need hadith to motivate people to seek knowledge from books, you can use hadith about seeking knowledge with an explanation if reading books is a method to seek knowledge.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!