/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Panorama: Undercover Care: The Abuse Exposed

سيف الله
06-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Salaam

Thought I'd share this, shocking in this day and age :(

Disturbing Panorama special investigation into the horrific abuse suffered by severley disabled and vulnerable patients at the Winterbourne View private hospital in Bristol presented by Paul Kenyon

The reaction to these events was universal condemnation - think this comment sums it up best

A troubling idea of 'care’

We learnt this week that the horrors we thought were left behind in the 1960s are still with us.

More than 40 years ago, Britain was scandalised by reports of the physical abuse of people with learning difficulties at Ely Hospital in Cardiff. The subsequent public inquiry proved a landmark in the way this country viewed the treatment of those with disabilities. Yet we learnt this week that the horrors we thought were left behind in the 1960s are still with us. BBC’s Panorama has performed a public service in exposing the violent physical abuse routinely meted out to people with learning difficulties by their “carers” at a Bristol residential hospital.

We should all feel uncomfortable at these sickening scenes. It says something profoundly disturbing about our society that the most vulnerable among us can be so cruelly abused in what should be a place of safety and warmth. The scenes were reminiscent of the footage that was sometimes smuggled out of East European mental institutions before the collapse of communism. What makes the case all the more troubling is that a former nurse had complained to managers about the quality of care last October. Nothing was done. In December, the nurse took the complaint to the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Nothing was done. This is unacceptable.

It is fervently to be hoped that it is a one-off, but can we be sure? Such abuse is at the extreme end of a spectrum that also takes in the callousness shown by some in health and social care towards those in their charge. Recently, the CQC revealed that elderly patients in NHS hospitals were left in nappies because nursing staff did not want to help them use a commode; others were prescribed water by doctors because their nurses were not checking whether they were drinking or eating enough. If the measure of a civilised society is the standard of care we afford the vulnerable and the old, we are falling far short.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/t...a-of-care.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
De-TeR-mIn-Ed
06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
omg i saw this..its horrific...makes your stomach turn

yas2010
06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Surely a society has a duty to protect the young, the old and those that are deemed Vulnerable.
This is absoultely abhorrent.

Perseveranze
06-05-2011, 08:15 PM
... It's not like this is a suprise =/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PiousGirl_86
06-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I also saw this last week and i was so shocked and upset. At the same time i was not surprised by it at all. Most people who work in the health and care sector and the regulation companies only care about their pay packets at the end of the day. I mean when the reporter interviewed the Executive, i believe, from the government regulator Care Quality Commission (CQC), he said they conducted about 3 visits and failed to see anything go on. I was so dumbfounded as to how that could have happened. Either someone is not doing their job right, they cannot do their job or they are just not interested. Unfortunately i do not believe regulators are any better. Who knows how many people were treated like theses poor people in this documentary. They only ever care about their pay cheques at the end of the day.

User29123
06-08-2011, 08:24 PM
This is why in Islam you can't send your parents a nursing home look after them your self! Islam is always the best way....

Mr.President
06-08-2011, 09:39 PM
send these animals to an islamic state I would like to see the punishment !!! wt kind of cruel animals does stuff like this !!!

olie
06-08-2011, 11:45 PM
These guys deserve years and years in prison.
What complete and utter [I can't think of a word rude enough to describe them].

PiousGirl_86
06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
This is why in Islam you can't send your parents a nursing home look after them your self! Islam is always the best way....
Actually the people in this programme were sons and daughters of families, not parents. But yes in generally you shouldn't put any of your family into homes. However, if you watch the programme, the families had their children taken away and put into this home as the local authorities thought it was best for them, (they help fund the families). They were of course very, very wrong. But this happens all the time, with the elderly and with young children. Technically in the UK the government feel they own you and feel they can direct what is best for you and your family. This is the sad world we live in, all you have to do is look at how the Social Services work in the UK to see how corrupt the system is. I simply do not have trust and i am very protective of my family.

sarah85
06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I agree that this is despicable but a lot of people with learning difficulties have a much more fulfilling life in places like residential care with family visiting them often. Whereas cases of abuse do happen we shouldnt generalise accross the spectrum. Abuse happens within families too.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!