/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cat VS Dog?

Jalal~
06-09-2011, 05:12 AM
:sl:
Could someone explain some of the sunnahs of why it is better to have a cat as a pet than a dog? Why dogs are considered filthy, if this is even the case. Some people tell me its haram to have dogs as pets, unless its guarding something? Just curious. Jazakallah khair, may Allah grant us all the highest level of Paradise.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Riana17
06-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Salam
I have no idea about cats (in Islam)

It is said that angels do not enter a house which contains a dog. Though dogs are not allowed for pets, they are allowed to be kept if used for work, such as guarding the house or farm, or when used for hunting purposes. It is said that angels do not enter a house which contains a dog. Though dogs are not allowed for pets, they are allowed to be kept if used for work, such as guarding the house or farm, or when used for hunting purposes.

Here are some facts about Dog's saliva:
One potential health risk associated with being licked by your dog is the transmission of roundworms. These intestinal parasites are commonly found in kittens and puppies and are passed through licking. Symptoms of roundworm are coughing, a fever and headaches. Of course if your dog has been given deworming medication, and is tested on a regular basis, your risk of contracting roundworm is slim. Leptospirosis, salmonella and E. coli are other illnesses that can be transmitted by your dog's saliva; contracting rabies from the bite of a rabid dog is also possible

al yunan
06-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Walaikum Assalam brother,

The idea of keeping pets in general is not accepted in the Ahli Sunni wal Jamaa Usul Fiqh.
As for cats are never your pet, it's more likely in their mind they own you.
You should look up and study the whole concept of pets, for it's no small subject.
The basic concept is that it is cruel and unusual to animals and cruelty to them is a sin.
Never forget that the prophet s.a.w's ideas where divinely inspired.

Masalam

Asiyah3
06-12-2011, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan

The idea of keeping pets in general is not accepted in the Ahli Sunni wal Jamaa Usul Fiqh.

Keeping pets is permitted in Islam as long as it is not a dog (Dogs are allowed to keep for herding, hunting or farming reasons) and is treated kindly.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
06-12-2011, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
Why dogs are considered filthy, if this is even the case.
:wa:

It's important to know that although we don't keep dogs as pets, we have nothing against a dog itself. Dogs are to be treated kindly, and with compassion and mercy like all animals.

It only remains for us to say that the fact that it is forbidden to keep a dog and interect closely with it does not mean that we should not be kind or feel compassion towards dogs if we see them in a pitiful state. These are two entirely separate matters. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that "a man saw a dog biting the dust because of thirst, so he took his shoe and started to scoop water up with it until the dog’s thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and granted him entry to Paradise for it." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 174).

According to another report, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whilst a man was walking he became very thirsty, so he went down to a well and drank from it. When he came out, he saw a dog panting and biting the soil because of thirst. The man said, ‘He is suffering the same as I suffered,’ so he filled his shoe (with water), came out and let the dog drink until his thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and forgave him because of it." The people asked, "O Messenger of Allaah, will we be rewarded for how we treat animals?" He said, "In every living thing there is a reward." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, no. 2363)
Source

May Ayob
06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Salaam
Leave the Cats and the Dogs aside , i will give you something even better
How about adopting a Rabbit??
Or a Golden Fish ??
OR even a Parrot?
These are my favorite , i would love to have one , in the future.
Salaam

Ansariyah
06-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I know we are not allowed to keep dogs as pets, but as watchdogs I heard its allowed Allahu Allam (Pls correct me).

At the sight of those cute lil puppies my heart just melts.

al yunan
06-12-2011, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asiyah3
Keeping pets is permitted in Islam as long as it is not a dog (Dogs are allowed to keep for herding, hunting or farming reasons) and is treated kindly.

Walaikum Assalam sister,

I'm not sure if you noticed I was referring to the four Madhabs for what others do I've no idea or wish to.
For a millenium Ahli Sunni wal Jamaa and a established Usul Fiqh always referred to the four Imams only.
When one hears "Islam says" now days it's time to run for it usually means "I think".
Should you be able to prove any Mathab wrong, please do but not for my benefit I'm signed for life.

Masalam

PS: The Ahadith you relate are "Sha" but have no refference to pets only kindness to animals.

missy
06-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Could someone explain some of the sunnahs of why it is better to have a cat as a pet than a dog? Why dogs are considered filthy, if this is even the case. Some people tell me its haram to have dogs as pets, unless its guarding something? Just curious. Jazakallah khair, may Allah grant us all the highest level of Paradise.
:sl: bro,

These are some of the hadiths for the prohibition of keeping dogs as pets...

1) Ibn Maajah narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image.”
(Ibn Majah 3640, Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.)

2)Al-Bukhaari narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, a qiraat from his good deeds will be deducted every day, except a dog for farming or herding livestock.”
(al-Bukhari 2145)

check out these links...
Prohibition on keeping dogs
Keeping pets

It is better to have a cat as a pet because Abu Hurayrah (the Prophet's companion) used to keep cats as pets and as far as i know the Prophet SAW didn't object....so here we have an example of a Sahabi having a cat as a pet....and btw cuz of his love for pets, he was called "Abu Hurayrah" which is translated in English as "Father of cats"!! :)

may Allah grant us all the highest level of Paradise.
^_^ Ameen!!! :statisfie

wassalaam.

Insaanah
06-12-2011, 03:10 PM

I'm not sure if you noticed I was referring to the four Madhabs for what others do I've no idea or wish to.
For a millenium Ahli Sunni wal Jamaa and a established Usul Fiqh always referred to the four Imams only.
Keeping pets is permissible according to Hanafi fiqh.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=671&CATE=115
http://www.daruliftaa.com/question?t...nID=q-17244918

GuestFellow
06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
OR even a Parrot?

I know this is off topic but have you kept a pet bird before? Like a budgie or cockatiel? Depending on the type of parrot you get, they are not going to be easy to look after. Parrots like Cockatoos, are require social interaction. Very difficult to look after because they require a lot of attention.

I would start off with a budgie because they are easier to look after. I prefer budgies because they are like mini ninjas!

May Ayob
06-12-2011, 03:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I know this is off topic but have you kept a pet bird before?
Salaam
No, i have never really kept a pet in my life , and if i did they all died because of lonliness , i kept a bird before , i kept watching over it but it was very sad because it seemed fine and everything was going good , but i didn't know that the bird was actually suffering which lead to it's death. This is why i think it is better leaving the birds we find outside our homes or in the yard alone , it is better to let them have independence just as God has given them.

Like a budgie or cockatiel?
Brother , i have absolutely no idea what a budgie or a cockatiel is but i would love to imagine having a parrot inside my house. Now that you say it is hard i would probably think other wise.

Ramadhan
06-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Walaikum Assalam brother, The idea of keeping pets in general is not accepted in the Ahli Sunni wal Jamaa Usul Fiqh.
Keeping pets in general is allowed by all four madhab. Keeping dogs as pets is even allowed in Maliki madhab.
Abu Hurayra (ra) got his name because he kept kittens as pets and he brought them everywhere, and put them in his clothes pockets. There were many instances where Rasulullah SAW approved of his shahaba giving love and care to pets.

Keeping pets
Is it haram to keep Pet fish? and also I heard somewhere that the dog was created from the dirt taken from the area of the belly button where Satan spat on Adam (AS)?

Praise be to Allaah. There is nothing wrong with keeping animals for which there is no Islamic prohibition on keeping them (such as dogs and pigs). There are reports in the Sunnah which indicate that some of the Sahaabah kept permissible animals for farming purposes or for fun and for pleasure.

It was narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he had a young brother who had a nughar (a small bird or nightingale). The bird died, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw him looking sad and grieved, so he joked with him, and said to him words which implied approval of his keeping this bird. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to him, “O Abu Umayr, what happened to the nughayr?”
And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that a woman entered Hell because of a cat “which she did not feed, neither did she let it eat from the vermin of the earth.” From this it may be understood that if she had fed it, she would have been saved from that threat.

And it was said that Abu Hurayrah was so called because of a cat (hirr, dim. hurayrah) which used to accompany him.

So keeping permissible animals, so long as you do not neglect them, is something which is permitted and it may even be one of the means of earning reward, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “In every living being there is reward.” But if you keep animals and neglect and abuse them, it may be one of the means that lead to sin and the threat of Hell, as in the hadeeth about the woman who neglected her cat until it died.

We would also like to point out that Islam preceded both western and eastern organizations in proclaiming the rights of women, animals, workers, employers and so on. Indeed, the greatest rights which it proclaimed are the rights of Allaah over His creation and the rights of people over Allaah.

We would also point out that care and concern for human beings should take precedence over the care of animals, and that the reward for that is greater. [The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:] “Ward off the Fire even with half a date [i.e., by giving half a date in charity]” and “I and the one who sponsors an orphan will be like these two in Paradise” – and he gestured with his index finger and the one next to it. And there are other similar ahaadeeth from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
On this basis, there is nothing wrong with your keeping fish as you mentioned in your question, so long as you take care of feeding them and avoiding anything that could cause their death. And Allaah knows best.

With regard to the creation of dogs, Allaah created them as He created all other animals; it is not permissible to claim that dogs were created from any specific substance without having evidence for that. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“and we testify not except according to what we know”[Yoosuf 12:81]

With regard to Iblees, Allaah commanded him to prostrate to Adam and he refused and was arrogant, then what he did was to tempt Adam to eat from the tree from which he had been forbidden to eat. There was no kind of dirt, and Allaah knows best. I do not know anything of the argument which you mentioned.

One aspect of the Qur’aanic guidance is that it mentioned the knowledge which the Muslim needs in this world and in the Hereafter; with regard to knowledge for which there is no need, the Qur’aan does not mention it, so as to teach the Muslims to focus on beneficial knowledge and to ignore everything else. For example, the Qur’aanic text does not mention the colour of the dog which belonged to the People of the Cave, or the kind of wood from which the ship (ark) of Nooh was built, and other matters which are irrelevant and produce no beneficial knowledge or belief. Perhaps speaking of the substance from which dogs were created comes under the same heading. And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

GuestFellow
06-12-2011, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Brother , i have absolutely no idea what a budgie or a cockatiel is but i would love to imagine having a parrot inside my house. Now that you say it is hard i would probably think other wise.

It depends on the type of bird you get. Some are easier to look after than others.

^ That is a budgie.

^ That is a cockatiel.

A cockatiel and budgie are easier to look after and great for beginners. I always think it is best to get these birds in a pair...

^ That is a cockatoo. These are VERY difficult to look after and are expensive. They can start to pluck their own feathers out if they do not get attention. They also bite very hard....

If you need more information, PM me and I will give you information about keeping parrots and small birds.

Ramadhan
06-12-2011, 04:40 PM
A cockatiel and budgie are easier to look after and great for beginners. I always think it is best to get these birds in a pair...
When you get mini ninjas in pair of the opposite sex, and you build large enough cage for them, soon you'll have mini ninjas junior. That's what happened to my cousin's mini ninjas. Granted she built for them large cage, 4x2x2 m.

I had a "nuri" bird (parrot), we had her since she was a baby, gifted by my dad's colleague from the island of papua. At first we had her in cage, then we freed it from the cage. She was just walking and flying around the house and yard but never flew higher. She used to call me by my name and she was able to say "assalamualaykum" to greet us.
After 6 years, one day she flew away over the back wall. It was a sad day.
She looked like this one:

al yunan
06-12-2011, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Keeping pets is permissible according to Hanafi fiqh.

Walaikum Assalam sister,

That was no evidence and If I may say the Hanafi Mathab has one of the strictest views on animals.
Please look up "Usul Fiqh".

Masalam

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
Keeping dogs as pets is even allowed in Maliki madhab.

I did say Usul Fiqh meaning classic and where is Imam Malik rahimullah's approval and not some thing cooked up at Google.
Pets have been around since the dawn of civilatation and something that important would not just be left out.
No one is disputing cats how many times need to repeat.

Masalam

PS: One Hadith does not costitute a Mathab and neither does one man's opinion Usul Fiqh.
A conclusive Fatwa needs a lot of evidence to last that long.
When we say Ahli Sunni wal Jamaa we mean followers and not fabricators.

Insaanah
06-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Please look up "Usul Fiqh".
I did say Usul Fiqh meaning classic and where is Imam Malik rahimullah's approval and not some thing cooked up at Google.
A conclusive Fatwa needs a lot of evidence to last that long.
When we say Ahli Sunni wal Jamaa we mean followers and not fabricators.
Since you first made the statement, please could you bring the evidence that keeping pets is generally not accepted in all four madhabs. Generally, when quoting a position, one doesn't say to the other "go and look this up", but brings supportive material to help the other person.

Jazaakallah khayr.

Jalal~
06-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Jazakallah Khair to everyone posting all the hadiths, they are all very interesting! i might just go get a cat now haha; the links were very beneficial as well, i havent looked at all of them but i will Insha Allah.
and i just love how a thread about cats and dogs turned into a discussion about parrots, lol...

al yunan
06-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Since you first made the statement, please could you bring the evidence that keeping pets is generally not accepted in all four madhabs. Generally, when quoting a position, one doesn't say to the other "go and look this up", but brings supportive material to help the other person.

Walaikum Assalam sister,

Actually I've re-writen this post many times but you go right ahead and believe what ever you want just don't impose it as fact to me.

Masalam

Insaanah
06-12-2011, 06:07 PM
you go right ahead and believe what ever you want just don't impose it as fact to me.
Please don't be so needlessly rude. I have not been rude to you.

You didn't accept what I'd written, and you made the statement that it is generally not accepted in all four madhabs to keep pets. Instead of asking us to go and look it up, please provide the evidence so that we can all learn. That's all I asked you.

Jazaakallah khayr.

al yunan
06-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Please don't be so needlessly rude. I have not been rude to you. You didn't accept what I'd written, and you made the statement that it is generally not accepted in all four madhabs to keep pets. Instead of asking us to go and look it up, please provide the evidence so that we can all learn. That's all I want to do, to learn. Jazaakallah khayr.

Salam sister,

I believe i gave salam.
Farewell

GuestFellow
06-12-2011, 06:35 PM

When you get mini ninjas in pair of the opposite sex, and you build large enough cage for them, soon you'll have mini ninjas junior. That's what happened to my cousin's mini ninjas. Granted she built for them large cage, 4x2x2 m.

I would get them in a pair if you have less time to interact with them. If you have job and family commitments, then the budgie might get lonely, especially if it is in a cage all day. I had a budgie but I had plenty of time to play with it. It used to fall asleep on my shoulder and hand, stand on top of my head and watch me play Legend of Zelda whilst sitting on my lap.

I had a "nuri" bird (parrot), we had her since she was a baby, gifted by my dad's colleague from the island of papua. At first we had her in cage, then we freed it from the cage. She was just walking and flying around the house and yard but never flew higher. She used to call me by my name and she was able to say "assalamualaykum" to greet us.
After 6 years, one day she flew away over the back wall. It was a sad day.
She looked like this one:

That would be too hard to look after for me. :skeleton:

I think that is a Scarlet Macaw. These parrots require a lot of attention if kept as a pet in a house. They eat fruit, nut, seeds and nectar. They tend to live for 40-50 years, or more. I would not buy this pet bird, for those living in western countries...

This topic makes me want to read those parrot books which I had when I was little...

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

It seems members are discussing about beautiful animals, would you care to share information regarding your favourite animal on this awesome thread insha'Allaah..also if you want to continue discussing about them...

have fun! :-\

----->>> http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...s-so-yeah.html <<<-----

ps. ignore the silly name, i was a little too excited whilst creating the thread back in those days..:-\

.. peace ..

Who Am I?
06-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Maybe I am going to hell for this, but I've been trying to reconcile my love of dogs with my new love of Islam, and I've decided to keep my dogs. I'm not getting rid of them. This is just something I'm going to have to disagree with.

My dogs are my family now. They are my only companions. I think Allah would understand that.

Ramadhan
06-13-2011, 04:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
Maybe I am going to hell for this, but I've been trying to reconcile my love of dogs with my new love of Islam, and I've decided to keep my dogs. I'm not getting rid of them. This is just something I'm going to have to disagree with. My dogs are my family now. They are my only companions. I think Allah would understand that.

How many dogs do you have? Are they the large types or small ones who bark a lot? How old are they? how many years have you had them?
If you decide to keep them, please try not to get their saliva on your skin or clothes, because dogs saliva are najis (impure), and you do have to properly wash them before you can even take wudoo for shalah.

Who Am I?
06-13-2011, 04:18 AM

How many dogs do you have? Are they the large types or small ones who bark a lot? How old are they? how many years have you had them?
If you decide to keep them, please try not to get their saliva on your skin or clothes, because dogs saliva are najis (impure), and you do have to properly wash them before you can even take wudoo for shalah.

I have two dogs. Both are big dogs that stay outside mostly during the day and then come in at night when I go to sleep. They are my companions and protectors.

I have had one since she was a puppy and she is 6 years old now. The other one I got later and she is 7 now. So they are both pretty old dogs now.

They mainly sleep at night and then I feed them and put them back out when I leave for work in the morning.

Riana17
06-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Salam Mr Just a guy, if you can take a burden of cleaning your dogs, brushing their teeth, bathing and keeping them away from your prayer room, i think you can keep a DOG, I dont know some scholar agree that one can keep a dog, providing that you will ensure cleanliness etc

You know, we must be clean before praying.

Who Am I?
06-13-2011, 04:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
Salam Mr Just a guy, if you can take a burden of cleaning your dogs, brushing their teeth, bathing and keeping them away from your prayer room, i think you can keep a DOG, I dont know some scholar agree that one can keep a dog, providing that you will ensure cleanliness etc

You know, we must be clean before praying.
Yeah, I always try to do wudu before prayer. I have one room that I have started praying in, and I keep the door closed when I am in there praying. I have a blanket that I put on the floor so I don't kneel on the floor where the dogs have walked.

This issue is a minor one now. I don't really worry about it as much as I used to. I want to worry more about my relationship with Allah and not get caught up in small matters like dogs or marriage.

Riana17
06-13-2011, 04:57 AM
Salam

Yes I agree.. Allah is the Most Merciful
Inshallah things will be better with you over time and you will be more comfortable

May Ayob
06-13-2011, 09:04 PM
If you need more information, PM me and I will give you information about keeping parrots and small birds.
Thank you , but i dont think my family will be fascinated with having another member that needs alot of social attention atleast not now.
Thank you

Salaam

al yunan
06-13-2011, 09:29 PM

Why Some Men Have Dogs And Not Wives:
download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid22&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -

1. The later you are, the more excited your dogs are to see you.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid23&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
2. Dogs don't notice if you call them by another dog's name.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid24&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
3. Dogs like it if you leave a lot of things on the floor.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid25&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
4. A dog's parents never visit.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid26&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
5. Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid27&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
6. You never have to wait for a dog; they're ready to go 24 hours a day.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid28&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
7. Dogs find you amusing when you're drunk..

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid29&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
8. Dogs like to go hunting and fishing.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid210&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
9. A dog will not wake you up at night to ask, "If I died, would you get another dog?"

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid211&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
10. If a dog has babies, you can put an ad in the paper and give them away.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid212&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
11. A dog will let you put a studded collar on it without calling you a pervert.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid213&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
12. If a dog smells another dog on you, they don't get mad. They just think it's interesting.

download?mid15f288615fAIYMDUwAALBqTfYQ4QwJtVR42bBk&amppid214&ampfidInbox&ampinline1 -
13. Dogs like to ride in the back of a pickup truck.

And last, but not least:

14. If a dog leaves, it won't take half of your stuff.

To test this theory:
Lock your wife and your dog in the garage for an hour. Then open it and see who's happy to see you.

__._,_.___

__,_._,___

--

Jalal~
06-14-2011, 01:10 AM
They are my companions and protectors.
if they guard you then you can keep them cant you?

Maybe I am going to hell for this
dude, dont say that; never say stuff like that, always say good things about yourself and others, because you never know when Allah might accept you dua. and remember, it takes time to get used to different rules and practices that come with Islam. If you remember my other thread about my father not letting me pray, people pretty much told me to have patience, wait it out and in time my parents will understand and let me go. Sooner or later Insha Allah, you will know what to do, dont just automatically assume your going to Hell because you think you might be doing something wrong; at least Allah is in the back of your mind, some people dont even think about Allah when they have a tough decision to make (including myself from time to time). The best you can do is to look at the criteria that allows you to have dogs. If you meet the criteria (which i think you do), then you should be able to keep them!

Who Am I?
06-14-2011, 01:24 AM
if they guard you then you can keep them cant you?

dude, dont say that; never say stuff like that, always say good things about yourself and others, because you never know when Allah might accept you dua. and remember, it takes time to get used to different rules and practices that come with Islam. If you remember my other thread about my father not letting me pray, people pretty much told me to have patience, wait it out and in time my parents will understand and let me go. Sooner or later Insha Allah, you will know what to do, dont just automatically assume your going to Hell because you think you might be doing something wrong; at least Allah is in the back of your mind, some people dont even think about Allah when they have a tough decision to make (including myself from time to time). The best you can do is to look at the criteria that allows you to have dogs. If you meet the criteria (which i think you do), then you should be able to keep them!
Thanks, bro. I think I am OK. I feel at peace about keeping my dogs. I don't feel like Allah is telling me get rid of them. I have decided not to worry any more about this matter. I have more important things to worry about, like becoming closer to Allah.

Sometimes I find myself falling back into old habits from my Christian days, and I have to stop myself. I'm still learning about Islam every day. Inshallah, I shall continue to learn and grow closer to Him.

Hamza Asadullah
06-14-2011, 01:24 AM
I have two dogs. Both are big dogs that stay outside mostly during the day and then come in at night when I go to sleep. They are my companions and protectors.

I have had one since she was a puppy and she is 6 years old now. The other one I got later and she is 7 now. So they are both pretty old dogs now.

They mainly sleep at night and then I feed them and put them back out when I leave for work in the morning.
Asalaamu Alaikum, Brother you should make intention that you are keeping your dogs as guard dogs in order to protect you and your property. Also you should make every effort t to keep your dogs in your house but you should make them a living space in a shed outside your house in the garden or something. This is because angels do not enter ano home where dogs are present. (Bukhari and Muslim)

You must understand that dogs are not hated in Islam but it is just that firstly they are unclean no matter how many times you clean them because they are inherently impure. Just to clarify though its skin and hair is not filthy but it is its saliva. [Multaqa].

Also there is no doubt that one develops a very close bond with a dog throughout its life and a dog has a relatively short life and when it does eventually die then it can leave a person absolutley devastated like losing a family member.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Who Am I?
06-14-2011, 01:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Asalaamu Alaikum, Brother you should make intention that you are keeping your dogs as guard dogs in order to protect you and your property. Also you should make every effort t to keep your dogs in your house but you should make them a living space in a shed outside your house in the garden or something. This is because angels do not enter ano home where dogs are present. (Bukhari and Muslim)

You must understand that dogs are not hated in Islam but it is just that firstly they are unclean no matter how many times you clean them because they are inherently impure. Just to clarify though its skin and hair is not filthy but it is its saliva. [Multaqa].

Also there is no doubt that one develops a very close bond with a dog throughout its life and a dog has a relatively short life and when it does eventually die then it can leave a person absolutley devastated like losing a family member.

Salaam, brother.

Yeah, I'm going to fall apart when something happens to these dogs.

I think I'm good now, as I said. I don't feel like Allah is telling me to get rid of the dogs, so I won't worry about it anymore. I will concentrate on getting closer to Allah.

DippedinJannah
07-06-2011, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
Salaam, brother.

I am very close to my dog.

I was devastated when his predecessor (my earlier dog) died. But I realized that 10 years with him was a gift of Allah (swt). In other words, if you asked me to choose between 10 years with him and no time with him, I would always choose the 10 years. Unfortunately, death is part of the deal - this world is not perfect.

Who Am I?
07-06-2011, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DippedinJannah
I am very close to my dog.

I was devastated when his predecessor (my earlier dog) died. But I realized that 10 years with him was a gift of Allah (swt). In other words, if you asked me to choose between 10 years with him and no time with him, I would always choose the 10 years. Unfortunately, death is part of the deal - this world is not perfect.
Yes, I think the good experiences you have with your pets outweigh any bad things. Death is a part of this world, and nothing we can do or say will change that. But like you, I would not trade any time I have had with my dogs for anything. They have brought me much laughter at their goofiness and they keep me from being completely alone.

I know that the day will one day come when they will no longer be on this earth (hopefully not for a long while), and I will mourn their passing, but I will always remember the good times we have had.

Hamza Asadullah
07-06-2011, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
Salaam, brother.

I think I'm good now, as I said. I don't feel like Allah is telling me to get rid of the dogs, so I won't worry about it anymore. I will concentrate on getting closer to Allah.
Asalaamu Alaikum, My Brother whatever Allah wants from us is in the Qur'an and Sunnah. The Sunnah is clear in that dogs must not be kept apart from being kept as guard dogs to protect one's property or as hunting dogs or as shephard dog.

Dogs kept for companionship is highly disliked and the houses in which dogs are kept are not visited by angels. On top of that ones good deeds are reduced for the duration of one keeping a dog for the wrong purposes.

So it is incorrect for you to state that you don't "feel" that Allah is telling you to get rid of your dog because whatever Allah wants from you and me is clearly in the Qur'an and Sunnah and the Sunnah is clear with regards to keeping dogs for companionship. I Just wanted to clarify that point. The rest is upto you...

Serendipity
07-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I like dogs more than cats. I don't like cats that much.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!