/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 6 Virtues of praying at the Masjid

Hamza Asadullah
06-13-2011, 03:36 AM
6 Virtues of praying at the Masjid

The Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said:

“I had considered ordering for the prayer to be established, then I would order every man to pray and set loose men who have with them logs of wood upon a people who did not come to the prayer and I would burn their houses with the fire.” (Bukhari, Muslim)

This clearly indicates that there is no excuse for men to make a congregation at home if they have a Masjid near them and it is possible for them to pray in one.

Imam al-Shafi`i (Allah have mercy on him) said in hisal-Umm: “I do not allow anyone who is able to attend the congregational prayer to miss it, unless they have an excuse.” [Shafii, al-Umm, 1.154]

Obviously we all have different situations. Some of us live near a Masjid. Some very far. For some of us it is too dangerous to venture out on our own or it maybe that we live in extreme climates etc.

By being "too far" it is meant that if it is genuinely difficult to get to a Masjid because of how far it is or if it is in such a location that it is very difficult to get to etc. If it is possible to attend with even a little hardship then one should make every effort to do so for their are HUGE rewards in praying at the house of Allah.

However, for those who are unable to pray at the mosque but able to pray in congregation with other Muslims (such as co-workers or one’s wife). They get the reward of praying in congregation if they take the means and establish such congregations at work or at home. Then, when they are able to go to the mosque, they should hasten to do so. If, while doing this, they have the firm and sincere intention that had they been able to go to the mosque they genuinely would have, they get (some or all of the) reward of praying at the mosque itself, as rigorously authentic hadiths of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) clearly explain. [Shurunbulali, Imdad al-Fattah Sharh Nur al-Idah; Tahtawi, Hashiyat al-Maraqi]

So where ever we are whether it is at work, school, shopping centre etc we should try and establish a congregation where possible and with the right intention we would gain immense reward of praying Salaah with congregation.

Here are some virtues of praying Salaah at the Masjid:

1. Superiority of praying in congregation

He (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) also said, “ Prayer in congregation is superior to prayer alone by twenty seven degrees.” [Bukhari & Muslim, from Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him)]

2. A place in Jannah for those who attend the Masjid Morning and evening

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "He who goes to the mosque in the morning or in the evening, Allah prepares for him a place in Jannah whenever he goes to the mosque in the morning and returns from it in the evening.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

3. Reward for every step taken to the Masjid

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "He who purifies (performs Wudu') himself in his house and then walks to one of the houses of Allah (mosque) for performing an obligatory Salat, one step of his will wipe out his sins and another step will elevate his rank (in Jannah).'' [Muslim].

Subhanallah! Every step is a reward so the further the Masjid the more reward for every step.

4. Greatest reward for one who lives furthest from Masjid

Abu Musa (RA) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "The person who will receive the highest reward for Salat (prayer) is the one who comes to perform it in the mosque from the farthest distance. And he who waits for Salat to perform it with the Imam (in congregation) will have a greater reward than the one who observes it alone and then goes to sleep.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Hurairah (RA reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "Shall I not tell you something by which Allah effaces the sins and elevates the ranks (in Jannah).'' The Companions said: "Yes (please tell us), O Messenger of Allah.'' He said, "Performing the Wudu' properly in spite of difficult circumstances, walking with more paces to the mosque, and waiting for the next Salat (prayer) after a observing Salat; and that is Ar-Ribat, and that is Ar-Ribat.'' [Muslim].

So the further one lives from the Masjid the more reward they will gain for attending the Masjid!

5. Glad tidings for one who goes at the Masjid for Isha and Fajr

Buraidah (RA) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "Convey glad tidings to those who walk to the mosque in the darkness. For they will be given full light on the Day of Resurrection.'' [At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud].

'Uthman ibn 'Affan (RA) said, "I heard the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam): 'If someone prays 'Isha' in a group, it is as if he had prayed half of the night. If someone prays Subh in a group, it is as if he had prayed the entire night.'" [Muslim]

Abu Hurayra (RA) reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam), said, "And if they only knew what was in the prayers of 'Isha' and Subh, they would come to them even if they had to crawl." [Agreed upon]

Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "There is no prayer heavier on the hypocrites than Fajr and 'Isha'. If they only knew what is in them, they would come to them even if they had to crawl." [Agreed upon]

6. The one who attends Masjid night & day is a true believer

Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (RA) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "When you see a man frequenting the mosque, testify that he is a believer because Allah says: `Allah's mosques are visited only by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day.'''
[At-Tirmidhi].

And Allah knows best in all matters

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
10-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Going to the Masjid in order to learn or teach

Attending lectures in the Masjid.
"Whoever goes to the Masjid not desiring anything except to learn or teach what is good has the reward of a pilgrim who completed his Hajj" (Tabarrani)

SyrianFellow
11-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the share, Inshallah I'll start trying to attend the masjid more often. Right as now I basically only for the friday prayer but inshallah i'll make sure I go more often :D.

Marina-Aisha
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
thanx for the info i didnt really know it was best to go to the mosque then pray at home.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
thanx for the info i didnt really know it was best to go to the mosque then pray at home.
Sister this only applies to men not women. The best prayer for women is at her usual place of praying at home where she gets the same reward as men who pray at the Masjid. For men it is best to pray the fard prayer at the Masjid, but they should pray the Sunnah and Nawafil (Voluntary) prayers at home for two reasons:

1. To illuminate the household with divine light as the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said do not make your homes like graveyards.

2. To avoid showing off by praying many voluntary prayers at the Masjid where others can see. The best worship is that which is done where ONLY Allah can see.

A women can still attend the Masjid if the facilities are available, but her prayer at home is far more superior. Hope that clarifies things.

Marina-Aisha
12-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh I was just bout say , that only implies for men..( someone just told me)so if I went to prey in the mosque day and nite I wouldn't get much reward then when I do it privately in my own room at home? Why is that?

Darth Ultor
12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
What if the closest mosque is far away and you don't live in a Muslim country?

Ramadhan
12-13-2011, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor
A solution is they can organize with other muslims nearby to dedicate a simple room for masjid. Remember that the original masjid nabawi (the prophet's mosque) in madinah was a simple plot of land with walls and without roof.
Islam is not to make things too difficult, but it is important for muslims to socialize with each other and hence closer and stronger bonds are created.

syed1
12-13-2011, 03:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SyrianFellow
Right as now I basically only for the friday prayer but inshallah i'll make sure I go more often
this was a very beneficial thread...

I love visiting the masjid, I cannot stress that enough. I wish to spend my days there if only I could. I wish to go there if only I was close or had my own car, When ever I am able to though, I will always go..

Brother you should try to go on odd days and nights as well, not only on fridays where it is so crowded.. When I go on a random night it is usually only occupied with a few people, and although it is a bit sad that not more people are frequently visiting, I do find it peaceful when I am there, and it is queit, and I can think and ponder of allahs creation and engage in worship. Somtimes I even lie down, close my eyes for abit.

Muhammad
12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
:sl:

Jazakallaahu khayran for the encouragement. I really admire those people who drive all the way to the Masjid, especially when it's early/late/cold etc! Masha'Allaah.

Living near a Masjid is such a huge blessing, SubhanAllah. I was talking to someone about this topic and we were saying how living near a Masjid offers quite a different life to living in a more isolated community, due to the discipline it brings in praying on time, benefits from classes and lectures, meeting other Muslims, etc. But sadly this is also something that we fall short in thanking Allaah (swt) for and making the most of such an opportunity. May Allaah (swt) give us the ability to thank Him for His favours and make the most of all the opportunities and gifts that He has given us, Aameen.

ayesha.ansari
12-21-2011, 05:06 AM
JAZAKALLAH for all those beautiful points. well Alhamdulliah we live in a Muslim country where their is lot of communities as you know Muslim divide their self in many sects. then at this point what you should do see to whom this mosque belong to a specific sect or just pray their.

Darth Ultor
12-21-2011, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

A solution is they can organize with other muslims nearby to dedicate a simple room for masjid. Remember that the original masjid nabawi (the prophet's mosque) in madinah was a simple plot of land with walls and without roof.
Islam is not to make things too difficult, but it is important for muslims to socialize with each other and hence closer and stronger bonds are created.
It's be easy to find Muslims in a big city but in the suburbs of the South or the rural areas, you're lucky to find Jews let alone Muslims

Haya emaan
12-21-2011, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayesha.ansari
JAZAKALLAH for all those beautiful points. well Alhamdulliah we live in a Muslim country where their is lot of communities as you know Muslim divide their self in many sects. then at this point what you should do see to whom this mosque belong to a specific sect or just pray their.
as long as they are praying according to sunnah rightly theres no point to go on search to whom the mosque belongs to.

Abdullahi E
01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Mashallah may Allah bless u

Who Am I?
01-18-2012, 01:59 AM

There is a masjid sort of near me, but it's a good 30 minute drive from my house, so I don't attend every day. Still, I try to attend at least one or two nights of prayer in congregation per week.

Hamza Asadullah
01-18-2012, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
Oh I was just bout say , that only implies for men..( someone just told me)so if I went to prey in the mosque day and nite I wouldn't get much reward then when I do it privately in my own room at home? Why is that?

An explanation is that had women’s full reward for prayer depended on going to the masjid or praying in congregation, then this would have placed a great hardship and spiritual loss on mothers and other women who are at home. Rather, from Allah’s infinite wisdom and mercy, He made the religious responsibility of each gender consonant with the nature of their social roles.

Hamza Asadullah
01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Allah does not put hardship or burden upon a Muslim if a Masjid is too far away then he should try and go whenever it is possible for him to do so. If it is too far or there is no Masjid in his locality then he should try and congregate with other Muslims in his area. If there are no other Muslims then he can congregate with his own family.

Hamza Asadullah
01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?

There is a masjid sort of near me, but it's a good 30 minute drive from my house, so I don't attend every day. Still, I try to attend at least one or two nights of prayer in congregation per week.
:wa:

Yes brother try and attend whenever you can. If not then try to congregate with Muslims in your locality.

Hamza Asadullah
01-18-2012, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayesha.ansari

As long as the masjid does not belong to any deviant sect or following or do not partake in bida'a and are of the ahlus Sunnah wal jama'a then it is fine to pray behind them inshallah.

Hamza Asadullah
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
A good hospitality in Jannah for those who make effort to pray morning and afternoon prayers at the Masjid

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "Allah will prepare for
him who goes to the masjid (every) morning and in the afternoon (for the
congregational prayer) an honorable place in Paradise with good hospitality
for (what he has done) every morning and afternoon.

Bukhari Vol. 1 : No. 631

Women get the same reward for praying at home. Subhaanallah

dqsunday
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Very nice post :) I am lucky to have a Masjid within a half hour drive though I don't go every day. I am working on going at least every Friday for the Afternoon prayer and the Muslim community holds a pot luck last saturday of every month and we do the evening prayers then too. Its a great time socialize and get to know my fellow Muslims and learn more of Islam. That and I really enjoy trying all the different middle eastern dishes many bring...I am glad I love spicy food :).

For those who do live far away from mosques, just get together with your brothers and sisters in your area to pray. You can meet outside to pray, like a backyard etc.. or in a room designated as a prayer room at one of your homes, maybe even switch homes for a change of pace time to time. This way you get all the benefits.

Darth Ultor
05-06-2012, 12:50 AM
What if you live in a Muslim country and work at an office with a group of men and it's time for prayer. Could that count as a congregation even if you're praying in the office?

BadOlPuttyTat
05-11-2012, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
6. The one who attends Masjid night & day is a true believer

Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (RA) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said, "When you see a man frequenting the mosque, testify that he is a believer because Allah says: `Allah's mosques are visited only by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day.'''
[At-Tirmidhi].
More irony is that i find it so that the woman has it far more easier then the man unlike modern times. Unlike modern thinking we in America place our thinking on that it is the wife who you see at church praying. But in the Bhagavad Gita, Biblem Vedas and Even Quran a man is placed as the primary religious leader of the family. I find this good , unlike common theory stating men are more materialistic if you asked a woman what a heart means to her should say soul or love but a man would say life, because life on this earth is all he thinks of.

tango92
05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
http://www.muslimtents.com/aminahsworld/Mosque_walking.html

1058. Buraidah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Convey glad tidings to those who walk to the mosque in the darkness. For they will be given full light on the Day of Resurrection.''
[At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud].

Commentary:
"In the darkness'' here indicates the Fajr and `Isha' prayers which are performed when it is dark. Because of the street lighting nowadays we do not feel darkness in these hours in towns and cities but even then these lights do not overcome the darkness completely. Thus in spite of the lights, Fajr and `Isha' prayers are the prayers of the dark. Their merit mentioned in this Hadith is that those Muslims who go to the mosque for these prayers will be endowed with perfect light on the Day of Requital by means of which they will easily cross As-Sirat, while those who will be deprived of this light will be facing great trouble in crossing it.

1055. Ubayy bin Ka`b (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: There was a man of the Ansar whose house was the farthest from the mosque. As far as I know, he never missed Salat (in congregation). It was said to him: "If you buy a donkey, you may ride upon it in the dark nights and in the hot days.'' He said: "I do not like that my house should be situated close to the mosque. I desire that my walking towards the mosque and returning home be recorded to my credit.'' Upon this the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Allah has gathered all (rewards) for you.''
[Muslim].

Commentary:
We learn from this Hadith that the location of the mosque at a long distance from one's house is advantageous in the sense that one gains merits at every step when he goes to the mosque and returns from it. Not only that, a minor sin of him is also pardoned at every step. This Hadith also highlights the merit of good intention. One can attain many heights by dint of one's good intentions.

Hamza Asadullah
05-13-2012, 09:18 PM
What if you live in a Muslim country and work at an office with a group of men and it's time for prayer. Could that count as a congregation even if you're praying in the office?
Greetings,

Yes it will count as congregation especially if it is not possible to pray at the Masjid whilst at work then one should gather Muslims together at ones workplace and pray together in congregation as this also creates a bond between brothers and a sense of community in the workplace.

No matter how much stress one goes through at work or how high pressured ones work environment is after one has prayed Salaah all that stress and pressure will disappear and one will feel a sense of calm, peace and serenity.

Darth Ultor
05-14-2012, 01:54 AM
One more question. Does there need to be a certain number of men in Islam in order for the gathering to count as a congregation? See, in Judaism, you need at least ten men 13 or older for it to count as a congregation.

Hulk
05-14-2012, 02:48 AM
From what I know, minimum is two.

Hamza Asadullah
05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
One more question. Does there need to be a certain number of men in Islam in order for the gathering to count as a congregation? See, in Judaism, you need at least ten men 13 or older for it to count as a congregation.
Two is minimum for congregation and 4 is minimum for congregation for Jummah prayer (including Imam) if it is not possible to attend the Masjid.

nila11
06-01-2013, 07:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Going to the Masjid in order to learn or teach

Attending lectures in the Masjid.
"Whoever goes to the Masjid not desiring anything except to learn or teach what is good has the reward of a pilgrim who completed his Hajj" (Tabarrani)
you are doing good job because if any person moving to right path for your this post and fellow it, so it is big effort for the Islam.

Hamza Asadullah
07-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Every step towards the Masjid is rewarded and in Ramadan it is multiplied further Subhanallah!

Hamza Asadullah
12-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Residence in the gardens of Paradise for those who go to the Masjid morning and evening:

Abu Hurayra (Ra) reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), said, “Allah will prepare a residence in the Garden for anyone who goes to the mosque morning and evening each morning and evening that he goes.” [Agreed upon]

iamproudmuslim
08-05-2015, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the Share. May Allah (swt) Reward you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!