/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I’m boudhist, christian, muslim and jewish too

mondyb
06-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi Everybody
I’m a singer, Mondy B. , I wrote a song “Same Faith”, the chorus is: ” I’m bouddhist, christian, muslim and jewish too.”

What do you think about that?
Best Regards

Mondy B.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
06-13-2011, 11:32 PM
a lot of overlapping concepts within them,
unfortunately they were not taught by the same character, in the same language, region or era.

i would say at some point they were all the teachings of god.. and a means to an end for the people they were sent to.

if you believe you belong to all those faiths.. you would appear to have a very good understanding of faith and religion.

but you probably aren't considered Buddhist, christian, muslim or jew by the people representing those faiths.

Perseveranze
06-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Peace,

Like i said on the other forums, your a living contradiction lol :)

Muslim Woman
06-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Salaam/ Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by mondyb
” I’m bouddhist, christian, muslim and jewish too.”

One can't be a Muslim and non-Muslim at the same time. Either s/he believes in one God without partner and all in His messengers or s/he rejects the Truth.

Anyway , I hope u are doing it with a good intention. Why not write something like that I don't have to be a Hindu not to hurt a Hindu ...something like that.

Wish u all the best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
06-14-2011, 08:16 AM
It's a song, not a theological thesis. Depends on context; when JFK said ich bin ein Berliner he didn't mean it literally, the phrase was to show his solidarity.

Getoffmyback
06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
It might sound nice if it's sang on beegees' "saturday night fever" tune

Riana17
06-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Salam!!!
That's a crazy lyrics, doesnt make sense - maybe you should share the full lyrics

إحسان
06-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Spelling mistake on Buddhist? lol, sorry I'm a bit picky with spelling >.<

Your song is creative but it doesn't fit in all honesty...

ProudMuslimSis
06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
It is an attention getter start and perhaps you can expand upon it in the rest of the song. Something like "I am all of them in my dream but none of them when I awake?"

I realize your goal is to unite but respecting their difference could be more realistic.

Pygoscelis
06-14-2011, 08:08 PM
In my experience the quickest and easiest way to upset a Muslim and Christian at the same time, is to tell them how much alike they are. :D

Who Am I?
06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
In my experience the quickest and easiest way to upset a Muslim and Christian at the same time, is to tell them how much alike they are. :D
Well, I have been both and neither at various times in my life.

I was even an atheist for a while, with Buddhist elements.

Just saying...

Just_A_Girl13
06-14-2011, 08:57 PM
In my experience the quickest and easiest way to upset a Muslim and Christian at the same time, is to tell them how much alike they are.
I'm not upset by that now, nor would I have been upset by that as a Christian. In fact I might have considered it an honor :)

Getoffmyback
06-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Second thought . If you try celine dione tune it might sound even better than beegees' tune

brmm
06-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi Everybody
I’m a singer, Mondy B. , I wrote a song “Same Faith”, the chorus is: ” I’m bouddhist, christian, muslim and jewish too.”

Best Regards

Mondy B.
Hi,
I would change the title , maybe u can make it "Same Planet" instead.
A song is just a song, no more no less.

Ramadhan
06-15-2011, 01:17 AM
In my experience the quickest and easiest way to upset a Muslim and Christian at the same time, is to tell them how much alike they are.
In my experience the quickest and easiest way to upset an atheist is to tell them that atheism is a belief system :D

Riana17
06-15-2011, 09:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

In my experience the quickest and easiest way to upset an atheist is to tell them that atheism is a belief system :D

Bwahahaha;D;D;D

Pygoscelis
06-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Ya, that'll work in the same way as telling a muslima that her choice to wear hajib is actually repression being forced upon her (people will nonetheless insist it is even when she tells them it isn't).

سيف الله
06-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Salaam

Hi Everybody

Best Regards

Mondy B.
Rather strange, but if meant literally then I think the person confused very confused.

Shows how shallow your experience is.

Better to have some things in common with a Christian, than to have anything in common with a dawkinite

Ramadhan
06-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Ya, that'll work in the same way as telling a muslima that her choice to wear hajib is actually repression being forced upon her (people will nonetheless insist it is even when she tells them it isn't).
This goes to show you have not actually met a muslima in real life. Actually, a good muslima do not really care what kaafirun, musrykin, and munafiqun say and think about her, she only cares whether Allah is pleased with her. A good muslima would only raise hell if her rights (of wearing hijab) is being violated and infringed by such kaafirun, musrykin, and munafiqun.

Pygoscelis
06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Shows how shallow your experience is.
Indeed. My experience of muslims is 90% online. Perhaps that clouds my view? Then again, this mostly consists of you good folks and the folks at paltalk.

Better to have some things in common with a Christian, than to have anything in common with a dawkinite
This attitude I have also come to expect.

Pygoscelis
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM

This goes to show you have not actually met a muslima in real life. Actually, a good muslima do not really care what kaafirun, musrykin, and munafiqun say and think about her, she only cares whether Allah is pleased with her. A good muslima would only raise hell if her rights (of wearing hijab) is being violated and infringed by such kaafirun, musrykin, and munafiqun.
Yes, read what I wrote again. I said just what you are saying. Though yes, I have only met a few muslimas in real life (mostly as clients).

Mister Agenda
06-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Sigh. The reason it tends to get the atheist's goat when you tell them atheism is a belief system is because it's not. Neither is theism. They are opinions on a single topic. 'System' implies multiple beliefs organized in some way.

Atheists HAVE belief systems, which tend to have atheism as a feature; just as theists have belief systems with theism as a feature...but not necessarily. A person can believe there is a deity without identifying with any specific religion: they can be theists without having a religious belief system.

The problem isn't that atheists don't have belief systems, it's that you're mis-identifying atheism as the system, when the most it can be is one feature of a belief system. Raellians and communists and humanists are all (or tend to be, at least) atheists, but their belief systems don't resemble each other in any significant way.

Statistically it's been shown that atheists are more likely than the general public to be spelling and grammar Nazis. Yes, you can get us going by saying atheism is a belief system. You can also get us going by misspelling Hitler repeatedly. It's not because we're 'defending atheism'. We're defending definitions. Because we're geeks like that.

I wonder if the brain wiring that makes one more likely to be concerned with spelling and grammar also make one more likely to leave their religion? Hmm.

Also, good luck with the song, Mondy!

Pygoscelis
06-17-2011, 08:06 PM
It has long been my theory that religious folks insist on "atheism" being a "religion" or "belief system" because that gives them more to attack than it just being a lack of belief or disbelief in God(s). It lets them do their thing against evolution, nihilism, etc, if they can somehow include those as part of atheism (which of course they are not).

Mister Agenda
06-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Most atheists I know are humanists, even if they don't describe themselves as such. Also rational empiricists, to the best of their ability. We have belief systems that can be attacked, but we don't conveniently all have the same belief system. When people pull the 'communists killed a lot of people card', my first thought is 'I'm not a communist, why are you telling me?' It would be like me blaming Christians for Aztec human sacrifice because they're theists, too.

M.I.A.
06-18-2011, 01:29 AM
i think atheism becomes a belief system if you read books on it.

Ramadhan
06-18-2011, 02:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mister Agenda
Sigh. The reason it tends to get the atheist's goat when you tell them atheism is a belief system is because it's not. Neither is theism. They are opinions on a single topic. 'System' implies multiple beliefs organized in some way. Atheists HAVE belief systems, which tend to have atheism as a feature; just as theists have belief systems with theism as a feature...but not necessarily. A person can believe there is a deity without identifying with any specific religion: they can be theists without having a religious belief system. The problem isn't that atheists don't have belief systems, it's that you're mis-identifying atheism as the system, when the most it can be is one feature of a belief system. Raellians and communists and humanists are all (or tend to be, at least) atheists, but their belief systems don't resemble each other in any significant way.
I submit this as evidence of my previous assertion :)

Statistically it's been shown that atheists are more likely than the general public to be spelling and grammar Nazis.
Really? I never knew this. Care to share with us those statistics? Also, which general public?
Sorry for being too detailed and ask for evidence.

I wonder if the brain wiring that makes one more likely to be concerned with details, facts and evidence also make one more likely to embrace Islam? Hmm.

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 05:56 AM
I'm a former atheist myself and still a spelling and grammar Nazi.

I guess some things never change. ;D

Riana17
06-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Well the Only thing when i was an atheist, I dont know my purpose in life.

ISNT IT -
When a Manufacturer produce a Product, there is purpose behind it? For example, when a cup is produce, isnt it for drinking coffee, tea etc?

It is the same as When One True God creates a plants, animals, human etc..
Otherwise if Nobody CREATES us, then we are useless...

That is the very basic of existence.

The next thing after acknowledging that we are Created for a purpose is to look for a TRUE guidance.

During my Atheist time, I know I have to do good and be moral, but if there is NO GOD, why cant i do whatever I like to do when I dont blv there is GOD?
Oh yes I was on denial (& lazy too)

Pygoscelis
06-18-2011, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
When a Manufacturer produce a Product, there is purpose behind it? For example, when a cup is produce, isnt it for drinking coffee, tea etc?
There is a purpose he intends and the buyer usually shares that intention, but over the time that the cup exists it isn't often the only purpose made for it. It may wind up being a holding place for pennies, or a nesting place for a bird, or a temporary home for a fish, or a measuring device, or a bailer in a boat, or a house for a mouse, or any other number of things.

Purpose is what we make it.

What is the purpose of a plant? To the plant itself it is to propagate and grow and make future plants. To a deer it is food. To a bird it is a house. To a squirrel it is safety. To a beaver it is building materials. Again, purpose is what we make it.

That just isn't so.

The next thing after acknowledging that we are Created for a purpose is to look for a TRUE guidance.
If you let somebody else define your purpose, you have lost your independence and freedom, and free thought, and have become their tool or slave. I bet many of the black slaves of the US south or the Egyptian slaves in biblical times saw their purpose as serving their masters, until they decided to take control and responsibility for their own lives and created their own purpose.

Just_A_Girl13
06-18-2011, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
I was never an atheist but I've always been the biggest spelling and grammar Nazi I know :)

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah. Before there was spellcheck, there was me. I was always the one that my friends and family would ask on spelling and grammar rules.

Funny thing is, I never really like English in school. I always thought it was boring.

Just_A_Girl13
06-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Funny thing is, I never really like English in school. I always thought it was boring.
English is always boring. I prefer French :)

Before there was spellcheck, there was me. I was always the one that my friends and family would ask on spelling and grammar rules.

I usually don't even use Spellcheck. It drives me up the wall when I see anyone making even a slight spelling/grammar mistake. Yesterday I received a postcard in the mail from my dentist reminding me about an upcoming appointment and I didn't even notice the appointment time because there was a comma in the wrong place ;D

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I took Spanish and not French.

Hay algunas hispanohablantes aqui? Estoy curioso.

It bugs me when I read newspaper articles or magazine articles or news stories online and see grammar and spelling errors.

Mister Agenda
06-19-2011, 02:29 AM

I submit this as evidence of my previous assertion :)
Oh, your assertion is quite correct. :)

Really? I never knew this. Care to share with us those statistics? Also, which general public?
Sorry for being too detailed and ask for evidence.
Not at all. If I'm too lazy to back up what I say, I can always let you know if I think you should Google it yourself. Good question about which general public, it's an American general public, Muslim mileage may vary. http://epiphenom.fieldofscience.com/...-probably.html

I wonder if the brain wiring that makes one more likely to be concerned with details, facts and evidence also make one more likely to embrace Islam? Hmm.

Maybe a study could be done of it, but by far the number one predictor of whether one is a Muslim is whether one's parents are. A valid study should probably focus on converts. Although a study that didn't and found that concern with details, facts and evidence is highly correlated with being Muslim would be evidence that Islam makes one more detail/fact/evidence oriented.

Mister Agenda
06-19-2011, 02:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
i think atheism becomes a belief system if you read books on it.
Hmm. Do you think Chess becomes a belief system if you read books on it? Will one book accomplish the transformation? What about people who read all kinds of books, say on Chess and Cats and Coffee and Chicago. Do they now have four new belief systems or one Chess/Cat/Coffee/Chicagoism belief system?

I think part of the confusion is with the -ism ending. Atheism and theism aren't the same kind of 'isms' as Lamarkism or tribalism. They're the other kind of 'ism' a state of being, like albinism and workaholism. Theism is the state of believing at least one supernatural deity exists. Atheism is the state of not believing at least one supernatural deisty exists.

Mister Agenda
06-19-2011, 02:45 AM

I guess some things never change. ;D
LOL, another data point!

Mister Agenda
06-19-2011, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
Well the Only thing when i was an atheist, I dont know my purpose in life.

ISNT IT -

That is the very basic of existence.

During my Atheist time, I know I have to do good and be moral, but if there is NO GOD, why cant i do whatever I like to do when I dont blv there is GOD?
Oh yes I was on denial (& lazy too)
If you felt this way when you were an atheist, why were you an atheist in the first place? Were you raised atheist?

Mister Agenda
06-19-2011, 02:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
I was never an atheist but I've always been the biggest spelling and grammar Nazi I know :)
Maybe you can keep me straight then, Just_A_Girl13! And a data point against my hypothesis, if this were an informal study.

Mister Agenda
06-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Yeah. Before there was spellcheck, there was me. I was always the one that my friends and family would ask on spelling and grammar rules.

Me, too, both human spellcheck and being bored in English class. I turn spellcheck off because it's usuly wron wen it curekts me.

Mister Agenda
06-19-2011, 02:56 AM
I took Spanish and not French.

Hay algunas hispanohablantes aqui? Estoy curioso.

It bugs me when I read newspaper articles or magazine articles or news stories online and see grammar and spelling errors.
Yeah, isn't a journalism degree supposed to include mastery of writing?

Who Am I?
06-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Yeah, isn't a journalism degree supposed to include mastery of writing?
Well, funny thing: I actually took a year of journalism as my major before I switched to history. I thought it would be cool, getting to freelance articles into newspapers and magazines. I quickly got disgusted with the tilted way I had to write the news and the idiocy of some of my editors.

M.I.A.
06-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Hmm. Do you think Chess becomes a belief system if you read books on it? Will one book accomplish the transformation? What about people who read all kinds of books, say on Chess and Cats and Coffee and Chicago. Do they now have four new belief systems or one Chess/Cat/Coffee/Chicagoism belief system?

I think part of the confusion is with the -ism ending. Atheism and theism aren't the same kind of 'isms' as Lamarkism or tribalism. They're the other kind of 'ism' a state of being, like albinism and workaholism. Theism is the state of believing at least one supernatural deity exists. Atheism is the state of not believing at least one supernatural deisty exists.
sure, it was a weak analogy but its not the argument i wanted but the understanding.

im saying if you read the god delusion you are pushing towards something..like your love or interest in cats or coffee.

its like what can an athiest say?
you must have a world view, or not.

deities do not have to be supernatural, often in fiction of the "future" (im a sci-fi fan) science and magic are inseparable.

also many people are dismissive of cats and coffee, it does not mean they do not exist.
the same as chess, it exists but not in my world.
if you read books on any of them it is only to gain understanding, i would hope.

Mister Agenda
06-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I think I get you. Not a religion in the sense of being comparable with, say, Buddhism, but more like an avid interest? Like when we say someone plays golf 'religiously' as in sticking with it and being serious about it?

A lot of atheists are not avid at all, so you don't hear much from them, you could call them 'apatheists'. I suppose you usually find this avidity in what many of us call 'deconverts', atheists who used to be sincere religious theists. Often we have researched our own religion and found we weren't satisfied with it, but we retain our interest in religion, the nature of belief, ethics, and so on. It wouldn't be far off the mark to say I've made a religion of rational empiricism or postpostivism or whatever you want to call it in the sense that the topics fascinate me enough that they take up a good chunk of my internet and reading time.

You bring up an interesting point about supernatural deities, and it's why I define atheism as lack of belief in supernatural deities. A person could decide to worship something known to exist without wittingly ascribing any supernatural power to it. Arguably the philosophy of communism became an object of worship for many people. I've known what I call an 'uncommtted deist' who worships whatever caused the universe but doesn't make any claims about what that is, not even claiming it's a conscious being: if it was quantum fluctuations, that's what he worships, in gratitude for making it possible for us to exist.

Now if someone started the First Church of Quantum Fluctuations which reveres what they think is the natural process behind the Big Expansion, that would be an atheistic religion...as long as they don't believe the quantum fluctuations want or think anything. There's already an atheistic religion called Raellianism that worships aliens. I think they're irrational, but since they don't believe in any supernatural deities, I have to put them on the atheist side, not the theist side, much as I'd rather not be associated with them in any way.

Which brings us to SF. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that a being or beings with greater knowledge than us and technology unfathomable to us might seem god-like in comparison to humans, and might be worshipped by humans who didn't comprehend what they really were (like those Egyptian aliens from Stargate). For various reasons I don't really think it is probable that there are critters like that out there, but it's not impossible in a huge universe with billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars and planets.

M.I.A.
06-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Often we have researched our own religion and found we weren't satisfied with it
sure, but that would be the beginning of the path to finding that god you believed in as a child no?

the alien worship is a bit off though.
i dont do aliens only misunderstood humans..it probably fits one of the definitions of the word.

the point i was trying to make is that gods will is probably not supernatural, just beyond understanding. its not a case of technology on his part but on ours. no parlor tricks on his side. the vastness of god is all encompassing,
so whatever the cause of the beginning of the universe it still needs an instigator.

i know its a hard job to even justify something that does not exist, but those quantum fluctuations were found eventually.

its cringworthy i know but its like my little brother was telling me how maths in naturally occurring in nature and that does nothing to invalidate my belief. nothing supernatural about maths, but to think how much of everything it governs..without actually being anything, is something to think about.

Tyrion
06-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Indeed. My experience of muslims is 90% online.
Wow, that explains a lot...

Pretty sure I'd be some sort of atheist too if all my experience with Islam/Muslims was online...

Pygoscelis
06-20-2011, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

Wow, that explains a lot...

Pretty sure I'd be some sort of atheist too if all my experience with Islam/Muslims was online...
There are not many muslims in my neck of the woods. I do know a few, but they are few and far between. Online they are everywhere :)

Tyrion
06-20-2011, 04:19 AM
There are not many muslims in my neck of the woods. I do know a few, but they are few and far between. Online they are everywhere
The internet can get you some pretty good information about the basics... But when it comes to the Muslims themselves.... Well, that's another story. :p

But I can only speak from my own online experience I guess...

Just_A_Girl13
06-20-2011, 04:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
90% of my experience with Muslims is online. I know a few Muslims in real life, but I don't know them well. But masha'Allah, now I'm a Muslim myself! :muslimah:

Who Am I?
06-20-2011, 04:31 AM
I talked to the people here online before I ever went to the masjid and talked to the brothers there. I didn't have any Muslim friends before that.

Tyrion
06-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Err, I should clarify a bit... I know Muslims online can be great and supportive if you already agree with them. My comments were directed more at the way I've witnessed online Muslims acting when faced with things they don't agree with. It seems like that's when the online community gets rather nasty, and fails to represent Islam the way it should be represented. (This can be said for any group though, but it's especially damaging for Islam since many non Muslims are only exposed to Islam online.)

Once again though, this is only based on my experience... We should probably get back to the topic of this thread now. :p

Pygoscelis
06-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Mistaking a Sikh for a Muslim is the closest most people I know in real life come to encountering Islam. Is mostly just this thing you hear about on TV.

Mister Agenda
06-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't think any group is best represented by its 'online defenders', including mine. We should always keep in mind that internet communities are different from RL communities.

I know dozens of Muslims in RL, but most of them are from the same tribe, so I know I am not getting a good picture of Muslim diversity. I know a few ex-Muslims too.

Mister Agenda
06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
sure, but that would be the beginning of the path to finding that god you believed in as a child no?
I can't completely rule out that possibility.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!