/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Doubts?

Starrynight
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here ever feels doubt when it comes to their religion. I have been studying Islam a lot lately. Usually it feel so right to me. But then sometimes I get this creeping feeling that takes away the joy I usually feel. It's doubt. Doubt that I'm wrong. I pray and ask for guidance but the doubt still comes back.
Yesterday I was sitting outside and I held my palms up to the air and prayed and while I was doing this my palms got so much warmer then the rest of my body. At first, I thought it was God reaching down and touching my palms so I would know he was there for me. But then later I wondered if it was just coincidence, like the sun or something.
I just need some guidance or suggestions from others. Does doubt ever happen to you?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
06-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Of course, at one time or another we all experience doubt but I personally find reminding myself of the evidences that I have seen in life are enough for me to remove my doubt. Sometimes it's shaytaan whispering doubts in your ears so seek refuge with Allah also from the whispers of shaytaan and remember Allah. I can't remember where I heard it, but remembering Allah is like building a fortress around yourself from shaytaan.

inshallah someone else will give you good advice about this.

Who Am I?
06-16-2011, 05:41 PM
I too have doubts. The last few days especially I have been struggling with doubts. Did I do the right thing by taking shahada? How am I going to tell my family about my conversion to Islam? What are my friends going to think? How can I possibly learn all of this stuff? Will I ever get married?

Things like that come into my head sometimes even when I am praying. "You know Allah isn't really there. You know He doesn't care anything about you. He can't hear you. You might as well just give up now." Sometimes I feel lonely, like nobody cares.

Sometimes it's almost enough to get me to just give up completely. But I can't let Shaytan win now. Not after I've come this far. Not after everything I went through to get here.

Besides, I can't let you guys down either. Nothing like a little peer pressure, eh? ;D

sister herb
06-16-2011, 05:55 PM
I think everybody has doubts sometimes, just same have you been muslim 1 day or all your life. They might be whispers of shaytan or comes from confusing when you donĀ“t understand something or when it just feels that your life is not going like you have wanted.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
06-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Doubts are good from time to time. Seriously, they make you think about your religion and in addressing those doubts you obtain a far deeper understanding and appreciation of it than you would have otherwise.

IAmZamzam
06-16-2011, 06:18 PM
It's easy to confuse doubt with disbelief, and so long as you're careful not to make said confusion I think you should be all right. If there's anything else then feel free to tell me about it, that's why I'm here. Literally, I guess.

GuestFellow
06-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Salaam,

Yes, I had doubts about Islam, but not anymore.

Starrynight
06-16-2011, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
I too have doubts. The last few days especially I have been struggling with doubts. Did I do the right thing by taking shahada? How am I going to tell my family about my conversion to Islam? What are my friends going to think? How can I possibly learn all of this stuff? Will I ever get married?

Things like that come into my head sometimes even when I am praying. "You know Allah isn't really there. You know He doesn't care anything about you. He can't hear you. You might as well just give up now." Sometimes I feel lonely, like nobody cares.

Sometimes it's almost enough to get me to just give up completely. But I can't let Shaytan win now. Not after I've come this far. Not after everything I went through to get here.

Besides, I can't let you guys down either. Nothing like a little peer pressure, eh? ;D
I think some of the doubts you have are the same as what I have. I guess I'm worried God isn't really there or religion is simply man-made, ect. I was pretty much raised thinking that way. Sometimes I feel foolish when I talk about God, even to my boyfriend who is Muslim. I just don't know how to get over this or through it. I feel so strongly that Islam is right for me 90% of the time, but there is still those times in the day where I'm not sure.
Thank you all for the responses so far. Makes me feel less alone.

Starrynight
06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
It's easy to confuse doubt with disbelief, and so long as you're careful not to make said confusion I think you should be all right. If there's anything else then feel free to tell me about it, that's why I'm here. Literally, I guess.
Thank you! And I saw your privet message but I don' have enough posts yet to reply :(

IAmZamzam
06-16-2011, 08:29 PM
There's always going to be times of day when you're not sure of anything, regardless of what it is you believe. That's just emotions--chemicals at work. Watch something funny. Eat something tasty. Fight fire with fire.

Perseveranze
06-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Trying to find that Hadith where the Prophet(pbuh) actually said something about having doubts. I can't find it now, anyone know which one i'm talking about?

But yes, everyone has doubts. It's apart of the test, you can't just say "i believe" and let that be the end of it. As humans you'll ponder about things and in the process of it all, have a far more deeper understanding of your faith. I am sure even Athiests have "doubts" like everyone else does.

What's most important is to clear your doubts though, it is never good to let those doubts linger at the back of your head.

Starrynight
06-17-2011, 01:02 AM
How do you clear doubts away? with research?

IAmZamzam
06-17-2011, 01:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
I am sure even Athiests have "doubts" like everyone else does.
Sure they do. But don't ever try to get them to admit it.

format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
How do you clear doubts away? with research?
A little knowledge won't go awry, yes, but be very careful about the accuracy of your sources.

Doubt is an emotional problem masquerading as an intellectual one. More of a mood than anything, really. If you have some specific issue that's bothering you, well, you are on an Islamic forum. We're here. We're listening. But probably the best advice I could give you is to distract yourself with a more positive emotion until the mood goes away. If it still lingers after a while then perhaps it's more of an intellectual issue, in which case you should just state it clearly here. (If you can't articulate it clearly then it's almost definitely just a mood.)

IslamicRevival
06-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Having doubts is a good thing, it only makes one stronger in faith

Who Am I?
06-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Well I have my issues that I am dealing with right now, and I study and pray every day. I try to learn one new thing about Islam per day and take it from there.

Starrynight
06-17-2011, 04:26 AM
Yes, maybe you are right about the mood thing. Earlier today I was walking to meet my friends and I looked at the beautiful clouds and thought that God must be real.
I've been flying through books on Islam and some are better then others. But the best ones really help me feel more solid in the faith.

IAmZamzam
06-17-2011, 04:54 AM
There's only so much that you can learn from books. Which I don't say to discourage the practice!

Have you tried visiting a mosque?

Starrynight
06-17-2011, 05:09 AM
The only mosque is a ways away. I might be able to go by on a Saturday, but I'm not sure how it works, when it is open etc.

sabr*
06-17-2011, 07:10 AM
As Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Al-Hijr (The Rocky Tract) 15:9
إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ لَحَافِظُونَ (15:9)
Inna nahnu nazzalna alththikra wainna lahu lahafithoona

15:9 (Y. Ali) We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).

Many Prophet expressed doubt but were comforted with the teachings and message

As-Sajdah (The Prostration) 32:23
وَلَقَدْ آتَيْنَا مُوسَى الْكِتَابَ فَلَا تَكُن فِي مِرْيَةٍ مِّن لِّقَائِهِ وَجَعَلْنَاهُ هُدًى لِّبَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ (32:23)
Walaqad atayna moosa alkitaba fala takun fee miryatin min liqaihi wajaAAalnahu hudan libanee israeela

32:23 (Y. Ali) We did indeed aforetime give the Book to Moses: be not then in doubt of its reaching (thee): and We made it a guide to the Children of Israel.

Allah ta' ala addresses the doubt of man in numerous verses (ayah) in the Quran.

The human being has the ability to doubt. The doubt is erased with the increase in faith.

When anyone begins to doubt what they claim to believe, the primary reason is a lack
of knowledge of what they claim to embrace. GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND BEGIN STUDYING!

This forum is full of I THINK scholars. Get off the computer and learn the basic fundamentals
that will equip you with the necessary nourishment to sustain you.

Spending hours online will only hinder your development and enhancement in this din (Way of Life)

Starting threads, posting, receiving and giving reputation points will not increase your Taqwa (Allah conscience) and Iman (Faith, Conviction). When you are a new revert or convert to Islam the time
you dedicate to studying is very important. How you study and commit can only be solved by you.

What type of Muslim are you committed to be ?

a. A lazy, lackluster and lethargic Muslim
b. A committed, strong and faithful Muslim.

It is your choice to commit and throw doubt away and exchange it for being faithful and committed.

That can only be achieved with the blessing of Allah and with effort and action. (STUDYING)

We continue to counsel the reverts and request you spend time offline studying. Your local Masjid is the primary source you need to seek the brotherhood and sisterhood.

Don't become the online Muslim (All post and no action).

Be the practicing Muslim that is an essential part of the Muslim community in your locale.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Shaitan is the source of all negative doubt:

Al-A'raf (The Heights) 7:21
وَقَاسَمَهُمَا إِنِّي لَكُمَا لَمِنَ النَّاصِحِينَ (7:21)
Waqasamahuma innee lakuma lamina alnnasiheena

7:21 (Y. Ali) And he swore to them both, that he was their sincere adviser.

Perform supplication (du'a) for guidance and strength from Allah:

Al-Baqara (The Cow) 2:186
وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ (2:186)
Waitha saalaka AAibadee AAannee fainnee qareebun ojeebu daAAwata alddaAAi itha daAAani falyastajeeboo lee walyuminoo bee laAAallahum yarshudoona

2:186 (Y. Ali) When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way.
__________________________________________________ _______
This post was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction should be used when
reading it.

sabr*
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
As Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

be careful about providing your opinion especially when it isn't based upon Islam.

We need to separate our opinions that clearly are contrary to Islam.

Al-Isra (The Journey by Night) 17:36

وَلاَ تَقْفُ مَا لَيْسَ لَكَ بِهِ عِلْمٌ إِنَّ السَّمْعَ وَالْبَصَرَ وَالْفُؤَادَ كُلُّ أُولـئِكَ كَانَ عَنْهُ مَسْؤُولاً (17:36)

Wala taqfu ma laysa laka bihi AAilmun inna alssamAAa waalbasara waalfuada kullu olaika kana AAanhu masoolan

17:36 (Y. Ali) And pursue not that of which thou hast no knowledge; for every act of hearing, or of seeing or of (feeling in) the heart will be enquired into (on the Day of Reckoning).

The effects Of Waswasa: (Negative thoughts and doubts) are many.

Action and thought are two aspects of Waswasa.

Protect yourself by Dhikr (remembrance) of Allah and reading the Quran daily.

There is no room for conjecture in Islam. The principals of Islam are already established and we
only need to apply them.

Yunus (Jonah) 10:36

وَمَا يَتَّبِعُ أَكْثَرُهُمْ إِلاَّ ظَنًّا إَنَّ الظَّنَّ لاَ يُغْنِي مِنَ الْحَقِّ شَيْئًا إِنَّ اللّهَ عَلَيمٌ بِمَا يَفْعَلُونَ (10:36)

Wama yattabiAAu aktharuhum illa thannan inna alththanna la yughnee mina alhaqqi shayan inna Allaha AAaleemun bima yafAAaloona

10:36 (Picktall) Most of them follow naught but conjecture. Assuredly conjecture can by no means take the place of truth. Lo! Allah is Aware of what they do.

Starrynight
06-17-2011, 09:54 AM
sabr, thank you for your quotes and response. Don't worry, I'm spending most of my time studying offline, I only come here and ask questions when I am confused as I have a very limited number of people locally I'm comfortable asking.

Who Am I?
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Same with me. I talk about things here that I don't feel comfortable about talking to the brothers at the masjid. I know sometimes it sounds like I'm seeking attention or sympathy, but that is not what I am trying to do.

Most of the time I post when I have some free time at work. I can't research much when I am at work (internet filters), but when I am at home is when I read and watch videos about Islam.

Perseveranze
06-17-2011, 02:22 PM
sabr, thank you for your quotes and response. Don't worry, I'm spending most of my time studying offline, I only come here and ask questions when I am confused as I have a very limited number of people locally I'm comfortable asking.
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I would also like to suggest you watch some videos, talks, debates, they can always increase help your faith. Here's a really good channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/khalifahklothing

Alot of people have learned alot thanks to their videos.

Zafran
06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Salaam

Doubts Definitely makes a person a stronger believer - One of the greatest scholars of Islam went through a journey of doubt - like Al Ghazzali(ra). - Now hes Hujjat al Islam.

peace

Starrynight
06-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Hey! I just wanted to give people an update for those who were providing support. I took yesterday off of studying (as I've been doing a lot of heavy reading for the last few weeks) and just relaxed. I think the break was really what I needed. By the time I sat down to eat dinner the doubt was gone. I felt rested and more sure about everything. I feel really happy today. I feel God again, and it seems stronger then ever :)

Just_A_Girl13
06-19-2011, 03:00 AM
I feel really happy today. I feel God again, and it seems stronger then ever
Salaam,

Thank you for updating us, I am so glad you are feeling more strong in your faith :) I hope you continue to pray and grow closer to Allah (s.w.t.)

Peace be with you

Who Am I?
06-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Yep, sometimes you just need a break. I have found that out myself over the last week or so.

GuestFellow
06-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey! I just wanted to give people an update for those who were providing support. I took yesterday off of studying (as I've been doing a lot of heavy reading for the last few weeks) and just relaxed. I think the break was really what I needed. By the time I sat down to eat dinner the doubt was gone. I felt rested and more sure about everything. I feel really happy today. I feel God again, and it seems stronger then ever :)
I know what you mean. I just finished 5 exams and had to study all day and night, with little breaks. After the exams, it was such a massive relief and I could relax again.

Starrynight
06-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Guestfellow, I'm glad you were able to relax and chase away the doubt as well :)

abjad
06-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Does doubt ever happen to you?
Thanks
asalaam aleykum.

As per your statement as "doubt"...but i doubt you meant that seriousluy!

but if i may say you meant...to say something very similar to Prophet Ibrahim(aleyhi salaam)

when he asked "Lord show me how you create"
awalaysa tuumin(the reply)
Balaa..bal YATMAIN KALBI

so to me estimating you have NO DOUBT but craving for something as "CONCRETE"

if am write that is Allah rehmat and if am wrong Astaghfir Lilaah, inahu ghafuurun Rahiim

Abu Fatimah
06-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here ever feels doubt when it comes to their religion. I have been studying Islam a lot lately. Usually it feel so right to me. But then sometimes I get this creeping feeling that takes away the joy I usually feel. It's doubt. Doubt that I'm wrong. I pray and ask for guidance but the doubt still comes back.
Yesterday I was sitting outside and I held my palms up to the air and prayed and while I was doing this my palms got so much warmer then the rest of my body. At first, I thought it was God reaching down and touching my palms so I would know he was there for me. But then later I wondered if it was just coincidence, like the sun or something.
I just need some guidance or suggestions from others. Does doubt ever happen to you?
may Allah keep you firm. I have experienced doubts but they usually come after i do stuff taht harms my imaan in all honesty

Starrynight
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dawud.beale
may Allah keep you firm. I have experienced doubts but they usually come after i do stuff taht harms my imaan in all honesty
I think my problem was that I was allowing the voices of my upbringing and my culture to get in the way of my heart. But I feel stronger now and so proud to be Muslim :D

Who Am I?
06-28-2011, 01:59 AM
I think my problem was that I was allowing the voices of my upbringing and my culture to get in the way of my heart. But I feel stronger now and so proud to be Muslim :D
Sister, I get the same thing. I have 35 years of USA'rican culture to unlearn while I struggle to learn a new religion and a new way of life. Some days it's overwhelming. The other day I really struggled all day to say and do the right things.

But like you, I don't want to give this up. Not now, not after what I went through to get here.

SFatima
06-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I have something to share with new muslims. I really really appreciate and commend them for the efforts they make to embrace islam and at the fact how much struggle they have to go through to be firm in it. May Allah swt be pleased with their efforts and make it easier for them and bless them with the beauty of eeman and everything that makes them feel at ease with the religion and themselves, ameen. But I think that they dont know this,

We all muslims who were born muslims ALSO struggle the same way ! :D exact same way mostly, since if you look at the world at large, the culture has really mixed up into this one universal culture where muslim countries have more or less the same aspirations/expectations from muslims that a non-muslim culture has. I, for one, have been in an islamic country, but wasn't raised in a very islamic society. So yes, at this point, We all are struggling with the same kind of social pressures( well nearly, if not exactly, though reverts may be going through more struggle esp if their families leave them which can be quite difficult).

So please do not think that you are alone in this , I live in a muslim country where most things go the un-islamic way, and its really disappointing, and yet I know that I have to keep going on strong with my practice of faith, no matter what. Sometimes your own family has issues with you following something that they call backward, conservative, but its just that they don't know much about Islam since none of the schools/education systems are teaching anything significant about Islam these days, one is pretty much on their own to learn and make that effort (thanks to uncle sam we're not allowed to incorporate religious text into our education system, and thanks to our own selfish greedy leaders, they have no love of Islam ).

And if you happen to be born in a family which lives the modern life, you have very few chances of learning about islam, unless ofcourse Allah swt gives you hidayat (guidance) and you accept it and strive to learn more about it yourself.

So yeah, when you take the firm oath of following the way of religion, all ignorant years behind you sort of fade away like they never existed, even if they mattered to you while they lasted. It is true though that it may be hard to attach ourselves habitually to Islam ,but Alhamdulilah it is a religion which is accepted and followed by young kids as much as old adults, recently i heard that there was this 110 years old british lady who embraced ISlam, and SubhanAllah, imagine, she spent the next 10 years of her old life in the propagation of ISlam, and died at the age of 120! truly amazing courage at such an old age!

For most, i can suggest that it is important to find muslim company to feel supported, because it can get quite difficult to move around without it, so one must find practising muslims, make friends with them, spend time with them, and those of you wish to marry must find a life partner, InshAllah they will, on good time if they start now : D

Recite Sura Fatiha and Ayatal Kursi everyday, they are very very good MashAllah for guidance in everything, and for just about everything.

Starrynight
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM
SFatima, thank you so much for reaching out. It really does help knowing we are not alone in this struggle.

SFatima
06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Ofcorse you are not alone!There is Allah swt with you all the time, along with, 2 angels, 1 satan, and 1.3 billion muslims !: D come on! and well yeah most muslim countries don't have fancy web servers so you may not see them online much, and since they have huge families and responsibilities, you don't get to see most of them online so much, but they're very much there! Infact the Muslim world is over populated : ) poor us we don't get much time to sit on the internet : ( , even i'm a bit free these days so I'm posting around hehe.. And even I feel lonely when i go to western countries(even the birds don't chirp much, the cats don't quarrel, the mosquitoes are rare, no flies, no lizards on the walls, no cockroaches lol ), its just not fun, very few people, no noise, quiet and calm haha. You'll probably be scared at first if you visit a muslim country, but I hope you'll remember your experience , InshAllah it'll be a good one : )

Who Am I?
06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah, see, that's part of my struggle. I live across town from the masjid and can't go every day. I have no Muslim friends or family outside of the brothers at masjid, so some days I am alone in a world of non-believers. My own family is all Christians and I haven't told them yet because I'm afraid of their reaction, and I want to learn more about Islam before I do. Most days, this board is my only comfort, the only place where I can come to freely express my doubts and fears, and even then sometimes I find some hostility.

To be honest, some days it really is hard just to motivate myself to pray, because sometimes I have my doubts that anyone even cares. I do pray though, because I have to hope that Allah does hear me and will answer me. Without that hope, I have nothing. I read every day, either the Qu'ran or a book about Islam, and I try to pray on time. Some days are easier than others.

May Ayob
06-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Salaam
That's just emotions--chemicals at work. Watch something funny. Eat something tasty. Fight fire with fire.
So, if I eat something tasty and watch something funny, My doubts will leave?
just wondering.

Salaam
Starrynight , by doubts do you mean doubts in your head or in your Heart?
Because i think there is a difference.
Salam

Starrynight
06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Salaam

So, if I eat something tasty and watch something funny, My doubts will leave?
just wondering.

Salaam
Starrynight , by doubts do you mean doubts in your head or in your Heart?
Because i think there is a difference.
Salam
It was doubt in my head. But I've decided I will follow my heart. Sometimes my head still tries to interfere, but I'm getting better at separating the two :)

SFatima
06-29-2011, 09:03 AM
There are very good sura's in the Quran to stay away from Doubts from satan. They say as soon as a person starts coming close to Islam and starts making effort, his lame old satan is replaced with a very clever , learned, master of trickstry kind of a satan who is an expert in whispering weird logical doubts into people's head, trying to confuse them every step of the way. I felt these doubts myself when I started learning more and more about ISlam, I found it strange that there was this awakening in me of some sort which used to argue mad with all the religious thoughts that i wanted to think about and follow, It was really a battle inside, exhaustive one, but Alhamdulilah with the help of Allah swt, I kept praying to be guided to the right way and resolved to myself to not falter in Allah's way. One must preservere in one's actions. Be stead fast.

There is a Hadith -e Qudsi That when Allah was asked which act of the muslim does he admire the most , he answered " the good deed which he maintains constantly ." And subhanAllah that includes all good deeds, the thing is just to strive to keep on doing it, in good or bad times. Sometimes we loose hope or we're disheartened because we see no apparent good coming out of that action, or we expect that things will start straightening up with just one act of kindness or patience, but thats the thing, it is easier to do one good thing at a time, and it can be difficult to do it most of the time, if not all the time. Take small steps, like giving water to someone in the house, giving a small amount of charity to somebody every other day. Charity doesnt have to be big to be counted as worthy in the eyes of Allah swt, it is one's intention of giving it that counts.

Once in the time of war in Makkah at the time of the Prophet Muhmmad saww, the call for charity was made , any thing of use for the soldiers could be given. Many people gave many things, the prophet gave glad tidings of forgiveness, blessings and raised ranks in heaven to those who did. There was this really poor old man who really wanted to contribute his part but did not know how to as he had nothing on him. He went to a jew and asked him if he needed any work to be done in service, he agreed and asked him to pull out water from a well. The old man tried and laboured all day to pull some water out of the well, and received some dates in exchange for his services. I don't remember exactly how many days he worked or just one day, but a handful of dates was all he got. he went to the prophet and when there werent many people around, he apologetically offered his charity by saying that thats all he could provide. Allah swt was so pleased with his efforts that the Prophet Muhammad saww received the message from Allah swt by informing him that Allah swt really liked the man's effort, and his handful of dates were the heaviest in charity as compared to all the charity that was given by people. Such is the glory of Allah swt.

So one must never think less of a small act of kindness , and one must keep on doing it, for who knows that small act maybe Allah swt's favorite and we may be forgiven because of that on the day of judgment. So perform all deeds with happiness and hope in your heart. For Allah swt says That He will never disappoint his men , nor will he waste their efforts, and they will find what they earned for, in good measure in this world and the here after.

And for those who feel they need muslim company around them, worry not, always pray for it, and InshAllah you'll find it. Also pray for your fmily's hearts to be softened towards Islam so that you may not have to go through unpleasantness while telling them about it. Ask like you really need it, ask with a sincere heart, InshAllah Allah swt will help you all. Prayers for you all.

SFatima
06-29-2011, 09:13 AM
The suras for preventing doubts are these. These are very powerful suras, and It has been advised to read them atleast 3 times a day, in the morning, noon and before going to bed. They include Allah's protection from all evil spirits, ill doubts, and from the harms that a person may try to do to us. Its a must read everyday. They are small ones, and one can listen to them repetitively to learn them. They were revealed to the Prophet when a jew had done some magic spell on the Prophet Muhammad and he wasn't feeling well. These sura's were revealed and to this day, if you read these sura's no magician can perform his magic infront of you. Somebody even told me that they tried it, when they went to some magician and secretly said to themselves that they will recite the sura in their hearts, they did so and the magician wasn't able to stupefy the audience, and he actually pinpointed at those 2 muslim men to leave the room. And since magic is performed via the help of djinns and evil spirits, they cannot come close to a person who reads the verses of Quran.

Sura Naas.
Sura falak. ( both in chapter 30)

Riana17
06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
Yeah, see, that's part of my struggle. I live across town from the masjid and can't go every day. I have no Muslim friends or family outside of the brothers at masjid, so some days I am alone in a world of non-believers. My own family is all Christians and I haven't told them yet because I'm afraid of their reaction, and I want to learn more about Islam before I do. Most days, this board is my only comfort, the only place where I can come to freely express my doubts and fears, and even then sometimes I find some hostility.

To be honest, some days it really is hard just to motivate myself to pray, because sometimes I have my doubts that anyone even cares. I do pray though, because I have to hope that Allah does hear me and will answer me. Without that hope, I have nothing. I read every day, either the Qu'ran or a book about Islam, and I try to pray on time. Some days are easier than others.
Ya Rabb, Allah is All Hearing, nice to share this brother...

IAmZamzam
06-29-2011, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
So, if I eat something tasty and watch something funny, My doubts will leave? just wondering.
They won't necessarily go "poof!" and never come back but it will help a lot more than you think. If the problem is mood then the solution is a changed mood.

May Ayob
06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
They won't necessarily go "poof!" and never come back but it will help a lot more than you think. If the problem is mood then the solution is a changed mood.
Salaam
My doubts hardly have anything to do with moods, It takes time for them to leave and if they get deeper then I usually go and investigate what I have doubts about, but I think the best solution is to ignore them and get them away be doing some thing usefull
Salaam

Starrynight
06-29-2011, 11:30 PM
SFatima, thank you for citing those.

Hm... I think it is good to try doing something to try to make your mood better first. Then, if the doubts linger and it's not just that you needed some downtime to recharge that's when it would be best to go further, study, etc.

DippedinJannah
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
In my experience, my doubts lessened and disappeared as I aged. When I was 18, I was filled with doubts, skepticism, questioning, etc.

In my 40s, no. But on the other side, I have a lot more worries about kids, family, the world, etc. now :-)

Who Am I?
06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DippedinJannah
In my experience, my doubts lessened and disappeared as I aged. When I was 18, I was filled with doubts, skepticism, questioning, etc.

In my 40s, no. But on the other side, I have a lot more worries about kids, family, the world, etc. now :-)
I don't have a family and won't for a while, and I am still new at this Islam thing, so I still have many of the same doubts that I have always had. Perhaps in time mine too will fade as yours did. My hope is that I will become more comfortable as I gain knowledge and experience as a Muslim.

IAmZamzam
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
You could just bring them to us, you know. This is a forum.

Who Am I?
07-01-2011, 05:26 PM
You could just bring them to us, you know. This is a forum.
Well, Mom isn't exactly internet savvy. Dad is, but not sure he would want to look at an Islamic forum.

SFatima
07-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Reminds me the first line of Sura Baqara, how the message of Allah swt starts, first with the dua sura fatiha, prayer for true guidance and his protection and then the first statement

"This is the book wherein you shall find No Doubts, it is guidance for those who believe ( those who fear Allah swt)". Indeed a very powerful statement subhanAllah.

IAmZamzam
07-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I meant bring your doubts to us, not your parents.

Who Am I?
07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
I meant bring your doubts to us, not your parents.
Oh, that I do and have done, and I have been chastised for it in here.

I don't even talk about religion with my parents right now. I know if I do that I will let slip that I am Muslim and all hell will break loose.

IAmZamzam
07-06-2011, 01:14 AM
I won't chastise you. Tell me in a PM what's bothering you.

Starrynight
07-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Hang in there King of Nines. There are hateful people in this world, you just have to do your very best to ignore them (I know this is easier said than done). But if you let them turn you bitter, you would only be giving them what they want.

IAmZamzam
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Oh, that I do and have done, and I have been chastised for it in here.

I don't even talk about religion with my parents right now. I know if I do that I will let slip that I am Muslim and all hell will break loose.
There's a technical problem with my PM's right now so quick summary of what I'd have sent you there: it sounds to me like you already know what you have to do and just don't want to face up to it. That's usually the case when people seek advice.

Hamza Asadullah
07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Hello,

Asalaamu ALiakum, You will be glad to know that having these doubts is normal and shows you have imaan (faith) because of your concerns regarding these doubts. But you should know that they are completely natural so you need not to be concerned about them but continue to make effort on your imaan.

Consider the following advice regarding your question by Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Al Kawthari:

Having doubts in Allah Almighty is perfectly natural and one should avoid being too concerned about them. In fact, doubts and evil thoughts are a sign of one’s faith.

Sayyiduna Abu Haraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that once a group of people came to the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) and asked: “We experience such evil thoughts that it is impossible to bring them on our lips”. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Do you really experience these thoughts? Yes, they replied. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “They are clear signs of faith”. (Sahih Muslim).

Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas (Allah have mercy on him) narrates that a Companion came to the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) and asked: “Sometimes I experience such thoughts that I would rather be reduced to charcoal than get them on my lips” (meaning that to speak of these thoughts was worse than burning in fire, m). The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “All praise is to Allah who restricted the devil’s designs to mere evil promptings”. (Sunan Abu Dawud,)

The above two narrations Cleary show that it is not unusual to have these evil thoughts neither is one more sinful or evil due to them. Even some Companions of the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) received these thoughts, as we have seen in the above narrations.

Therefore, one should not be worried on their account or feel sad and deterred, for these thoughts are signs of faith.

Some scholars have explained this by saying that a robber or thief only strikes at a place where he knows that there is wealth or money. He would not break into a place where there is no wealth. Similarly, when the devil (shaytan) whispers and puts these evil thoughts into anyone’s heart, then this shows that this person has the wealth of faith (iman) in his heart. If there was no wealth in that heart, Shaytan would have never entered it, thus one should not worry about these evil thoughts.

No sin on mere thoughts

It should also remember that one is not accountable for the evil thoughts that occur in the mind and heart as long as they remain thoughts.

Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

“Verily Allah forgives my Ummah for the evil thoughts that occur in their hearts until they don’t say it verbally or act upon it”. (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim).

Therefore, one does not come out of the fold of Islam due to experiencing these evil thoughts, neither is there any sin., as long as one remains a believer with his heart, mouth and action.

What to do

When experiencing evil thoughts one should do the following:

1) Do not be worried about them, rather one should be happy, for the occurring of evil thoughts is a sign of faith. A Saint said: “Shaytan can not tolerate a believer being happy, thus when he sees him being happy for receiving these thoughts, he stops from whispering them.

2) When these thoughts come, one should occupy oneself with something else. These thoughts will not disappear by simply desiring them to go, rather, one should get busy in some work or task.

3) One should seek Allah’s protection and refuge from the devil. Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

“The devil (shaytan) comes to one of you and says: “Who created this? Who created that? Until he says: “Who created your Lord?” When one experiences this, one should seek Allah’s refuge and stop the matter there”. (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim).

The following verse of Surah al-mu’minun may be beneficial:

“Rabbi inni a’uzu bika min hamazat ashayatin wa a’uzu bika rabbi an yahdurun”

Trans: O my Lord! I seek your protection from the instigations of devils and I also seek your protection from that they (ever) come to me.

Source: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=1946&CATE=150

And Allah knows best in all matters

Who Am I?
07-06-2011, 10:45 PM
There's a technical problem with my PM's right now so quick summary of what I'd have sent you there: it sounds to me like you already know what you have to do and just don't want to face up to it. That's usually the case when people seek advice.
Well, I will admit, I am afraid, yes. My whole life may be completely changed depending on the reaction from that event. I pray for guidance in this situation every day.

SFatima
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, I will admit, I am afraid, yes. My whole life may be completely changed depending on the reaction from that event. I pray for guidance in this situation every day.
We all will pray for you to be very successful in handling that event, InshAllah ameen, Do not worry, I'm sure it will be much much better than you are anticipating. If worse comes to worse, it would have happened anyway whether you'd reverted or not, but it is my experience that when things get really bad, they get really good after that Alhamdulilah. Do not be a pessimist, find opportunity in every mishap, that is the true character of a believer. Expect for the worst, but Hope for the best : ).

SFatima
07-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I encourage you to read the story of Prophet Yusuf A.S and Prophet Musa A.S. They are such moral-ful and excellent stories SubhanAllah.

For short, Prophet Yusuf A.S was abandoned by all his 11 brothers, and in a very cruel way. It is a very heart wrenching story, but subhanAllah how he treats his brothers when they come back to him, is for every one to derive strength from.

And Prophet Musa A.S was asked to speak up against the Most powerful King of his times, who also happened to be his own foster father ( the Pharoah of Egypt). But when he was asked to, he was perplexed in tears, and asked his Lord how would he ever be able to accomplish this task to speak up against the person who is famous for his power, cruelty, temper and arrogance, and esp. when Prophet Musa used to stutter, and was afraid of being mocked. But he was told the invocation for strength in his speech and he recited it before speaking to him and was able to deliver the word of Allah swt to the Pharoah in good flow.

I highly recommend you to read these stories, they are there in the Quran too, they are very soulful. Allah swt tells us these stories so that we may learn from them when we are faced with these situations, and most who strive to remain on the right path, come across similar scenarios which require courage. May Allah swt be with you.

Who Am I?
07-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I am familiar with the stories of Yusuf and Musa (peace be upon them both) from my Christian days. Their stories are in the Old Testament Bible.

I want to talk to a brother at masjid first since he is also a convert like me from a Christian family. I want to see how he approached the subject with his parents. I am forming a plan of my own though. I may tell my father first since he is more open-minded and then maybe the two of us can work on my mother together.

Hamza Asadullah
07-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I am familiar with the stories of Yusuf and Musa (peace be upon them both) from my Christian days. Their stories are in the Old Testament Bible.

I want to talk to a brother at masjid first since he is also a convert like me from a Christian family. I want to see how he approached the subject with his parents. I am forming a plan of my own though. I may tell my father first since he is more open-minded and then maybe the two of us can work on my mother together.
Asalaamu Alaikum, This is certainly one of the biggest trials a revert has to go through especially if their family is not as open minded as they could be. You know the best way to approach your parents better than anyone else so you should take whatever approach is best. Seeing as your father is more open minded then you should certainly break it to him first and then both of you can gradually break it with your mother as you have mentioned. That seems like a good plan.

There is no doubt that she will be very shocked at first and may say things which may hurt your feelings or even say things that she does not necesserily mean at the time she said it but be patient with her and anyone else in your family who reacts in such a way. They may never have imagined you to have accepted such a faith especially one that has been consistantly on the headlines for the past decade or so.

It will take a lot of getting used to for them so be patient and put your full reliance in Allah. If he has given yuo guidance out of so many then do you think he will abandon you now? Surely it is your enemy shaythan who is trying to make you lose hope. Reject your enemy and put your FULL faith, reliance and trust in Allah for he will NEVER abandon you but is closer to you than your jugular vein.

Be proud of your faith and show your parents, family and all others how much of a better person you have now become and no doubt they will also start to se the benefits in Islam and what superiour morals, character and values it instills in a person.

We are also here for you so if you ever need advice, help or anything at all then never hesitate to ask.

May Allah guide your whole family and mankind towards the truth. Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!