/* */

PDA

View Full Version : People Of Internet Era.

Endymion
06-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
06-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I still remember when I wanted to contact to my friends to other town/country, I had to write a letter by hand. Letter! Can you imagine?

:exhausted

Then buy stamp and looking for post box and wait maybe weeks to get letter as answer.

Difficult?

But it was so sweet receive letters from friends and read them again and again and think they have make a lot of work to contact me.

Sweet time actually. Today by internet it is so fast... and easy.

Who Am I?
06-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I am actually old enough to remember the days of "snail mail" also. The internet really didn't become popular until I was in college.

*old guy voice* We didn't have Facebook when I was growing up. When we wanted to talk to someone, we called them or went over to their house. We didn't have email or the internet. When we wanted to research something, we looked in a BOOK. You kids know what books are, don't you? If we wanted to watch a movie, we rented a VHS tape (we didn't even have DVD's back then either) or went to the movie theater. We didn't have YouTube. *stop old guy voice*

I think that's.. hey, why am I still talking in the old guy voice. I said STOP!

OK, that's better. I think that's enough for now.

ardianto
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I still remember when I wanted to contact to my friends to other town/country, I had to write a letter by hand. Letter! Can you imagine?

:exhausted
Can I imagine ?. Of course, we are in same generation. :D
Then buy stamp and looking for post box and wait maybe weeks to get letter as answer.

Difficult?

But it was so sweet receive letters from friends and read them again and again and think they have make a lot of work to contact me.

Sweet time actually. Today by internet it is so fast... and easy.
Oh, oh, it's remind me to my young age when I often received letters from some girls.

I still remember, few months after I left my city, Bandung, to study in Yogyakarta, I was very surprised when I received a letter from a girl in Bandung. She was my classmate in high school. I replied her letter, then she sent me next letters, again and again.

But now she never send me a letter again. Not because I never meet her again, not because today is internet era, but because ...................... now she is my wife. ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
now she is my wife. ;D
:statisfie Very nice work by letters.

Perseveranze
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Yup, this is quite an interesting era.

ardianto
06-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Now this machine has becomes an antique thing.

sister herb
06-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Now this machine has becomes an antique thing.
I have kind somewhere here...

:embarrass

sister herb
06-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Its voice is as:
taptaptaptaptaptap...

click. wroomm.

taptaptaptap...

Who Am I?
06-17-2011, 03:20 PM
My mom had one of those. I remember the sounds well.

Click click click click... DING!

Slide... click click click click.. DING!

sister herb
06-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Does anyone still remember time before mobiles? Or time before MCDonalds? Here were just some snack grills with simple hot dogs.

Mustard or ketchupt? No salads. No garlic.

Oh... missing old times.

sister herb
06-17-2011, 04:03 PM
My granddad teached me how to know flowers in forest by name and survive in there, how to fish even by bare hands.

Today grandads advice how to use facebook.

ardianto
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Does anyone still remember time before mobiles?
In 70's I lived in a small city. I had telephone in my house, the number was 360, only three digits, and without area code.

How to use that telephone ? picked it up, and I automatically connected to the operator. Then I made a request, in example "please connect me to number ......." less than one minute, I got connection. However, if i wanted intercity connection, at first I made a request, closed the phone, and wait around one hour until I got phone call from local operator "your connection has been connected".

Flame of Hope
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion

That's really funny. lol. But it's so true. People don't use cash so much nowadays. They aren't so ready with the coins and all in their pockets. So that's bad news for beggars. Oh dear. Poor things.

Jazakallah khair Endy, for another one of your interesting posts. lol. Highly enjoyable this one. :)

Haya emaan
06-17-2011, 05:32 PM
i m not old enough to imagine all that letter and type writer era..:D

Mister Agenda
06-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Funny stuff. I remember when I knew where people I was acquainted with lived instead of just their cell phone numbers and email addresses.

Flame of Hope
06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I like the old times better.

overcome by nostalgia....

Who Am I?
06-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Does anyone remember rotary phones? I had a friend of mine in high school whose parents still had a working rotary phone.

This might make you weep like it made me weep when I read it. There is now an entire generation of college students that:

1. Don't know what the Cold War is/was.
2. Don't remember the USSR
3. Germany has always been one country
4. 80's music has always been "classic rock"

I think about that now and it makes me cry at how old I have become That's the real tragedy here, the fact that I am officially "an old dude"..

imsad :(

Flame of Hope
06-17-2011, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy
Does anyone remember rotary phones? I had a friend of mine in high school whose parents still had a working rotary phone.

This might make you weep like it made me weep when I read it. There is now an entire generation of college students that:

I think about that now and it makes me cry at how old I have become That's the real tragedy here, the fact that I am officially "an old dude"..

That makes me "an old dame"... lol.

But I refuse to surrender! I'm EVERGREEN!!!!!

I have magical powers called Adaptation Skills. ;D

sister herb
06-18-2011, 03:28 AM

1. I know what Cold war was as I am European and my country has long border with Russia/ex-USSR

2. I have visited in USSR at 1982, now it is Russia

3. I remember day when German Wall crushed! I was one of those whose knock it down, yes I remember East and West Berlin ;D

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNvUS-6PTbs this is 80´s music

Remember I am 10 years older than you. And European.

sister herb
06-18-2011, 03:33 AM

All walls will down, sooner or later.

sister herb
06-18-2011, 03:41 AM
During Berlin Wall I asked from my school one week vacation. My teacher asked me for what?

;D "I go to German to help fall Berlin wall."

When I came back he hug me and said: "well done".

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 05:43 AM
Well I was talking about the young kids out there, sister harb.

I know about the Winter War of 1939 you guys fought with the USSR.

I didn't know that you were there when the Berlin Wall came down. I was 13 at that time and watched it on TV. I remember the next year in school we had a German exchange student and of course we all had to ask him if he was there when it came down. I don't remember if he said he was.

Oh, and I had totally forgotten about that song too.

sister herb
06-18-2011, 05:52 AM
No body knows as I like to walk as ingocnito.

People as I make history but not leave there they names.

Allah knows and that only important.

Human right, justice, freedom!

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 06:04 AM
Incognito is the best way to go. There is something to be said for obscurity.

ardianto
06-18-2011, 07:19 AM

Old dude ?. You were 13 when the Berlin Wall fell, and I was 13 when Mark Chapman killed John Lennon.

The age may old, but the spirit always young :D

sister herb
06-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Old dude ?. You were 13 when the Berlin Wall fell, and I was 13 when Mark Chapman killed John Lennon.

The age may old, but the spirit always young :D
Oops I was 13 too that year. Am I old? Noooooooooooooooooo.

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Well I never want to grow up. Being an adult is not very fun.

sister herb
06-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I agree. Beign adult and behave as child is I am doing. I love sit to garden and eat ice cream and heeeeeey they are swings too (too long legs) but I can try.

Futuwwa
06-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Growing up is mandatory, but maturing is not :D

sister herb
06-18-2011, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa
Growing up is mandatory, but maturing is not :D
Thats true. Keep your mind as child, then being adult is much more funny.

Futuwwa
06-18-2011, 03:59 PM
The Peter Pan attitude is based on the erroneous assumption that you need to stop doing certain things simply because you're an adult. Why not grow up and get the best of both worlds, start doing adult things while keeping doing kid things :D

sister herb
06-18-2011, 04:31 PM

ardianto
06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Differences between the past and the present

Need a book
(past....) go to book store
(present) download it

Need an information
(past....) ask teacher, parent, friends
(present) use google

Want to have friends from other places
(past....) buy a youth magazine, read pen pal page, choose one or few, send letter
(present) create Facebook account, put attractive photo, someone will comes

Promote business
(past....) visit my store in 6789 lizard street
(present) visit www.........com

Get mail
(past....) hi, buddy, I found letter in mail box, it's for you
(present) look at monitor, buddy, you've got mail

Where you learn Qur'an ?
(past....) In masjid near my home, 5 times per week
(present) from free online course, when I have a time

Abu Zainab
06-18-2011, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham
That's really funny. lol. But it's so true. People don't use cash so much nowadays. They aren't so ready with the coins and all in their pockets. So that's bad news for beggars. Oh dear. Poor things.
Wait till they get their own swipe machine thingies...No cash sir? No problem....you have Visa?, MasterCard? ................

Flame of Hope
06-18-2011, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zainab
Wait till they get their own swipe machine thingies...No cash sir? No problem....you have Visa?, MasterCard? ................
lol..............

What is this world coming to? Anyone can think what it's gonna be like 10 years later? Maybe we'll be living under the sea?! :omg:

Who Am I?
06-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I thought we would have flying cars by now. I remember when I was a kid my teacher asked us to draw a picture of what we thought life would be like in the year 2000. I was maybe in 1st grade at the time. I kept thinking "Man, I'll be 24 in year 2000. I will be old." Anyway, I drew a bunch of flying cars.

Now I wish I could go back to being that age again and still keep my same knowledge and experience. I should have done this 10 years ago. But I'm sure Allah has His reasons...

Haya emaan
06-18-2011, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham

lol..............

What is this world coming to? Anyone can think what it's gonna be like 10 years later? Maybe we'll be living under the sea?! :omg:
or may be some of us will have migrated to the moon..:hmm:

ardianto
06-19-2011, 03:47 AM
I thought we would have flying cars by now. I remember when I was a kid my teacher asked us to draw a picture of what we thought life would be like in the year 2000. I was maybe in 1st grade at the time. I kept thinking "Man, I'll be 24 in year 2000. I will be old." Anyway, I drew a bunch of flying cars.
You were a century late. :D

In 19th century people had imagined if in 20th century, people would have their own personal flying vehicle. And in the middle of 20th century people started to make real flying cars. But the problem is, fly is different than run on the ground.

By the way, you had -I hope you still have- good imagination. It's remind me to my memory when I was in grade 7 (secondary school). In writing lesson, my teacher ordered students to "write a story, the theme is Camping". My other classmates wrote stories about camping in the mountain, in the beach, in forest, but I wrote a story about my experience in camping in planet Pluto. I went to planet Pluto in my self made space shuttle that powered by Honda C70 motorcycle engine.

But, yaahhh, might be this is a difference between US and Indonesia. I heard, in US a boy like that will be regarded as creative boy, and people will support him to improve his creativity. But in Indonesia ? My parents must came to school and explain, why their son was very weird.

However, when I was in high school, I got my freedom in writing again. Around a week after I studied in grade 10, my teacher ordered students to write an essay. There were some themes option. I chose "colors and its effect for human". But I wrote it in 'extraordinary writing style'. Next day I stood in front of the classroom and read my essay. But not easy to finish it, because my teacher and all students in my classroom were laughed out loudly when i read that essay.

And I was so surprised when my teacher brought and read my essay in all classrooms in grade 10, there were 11 classrooms. I heard all students in those classrooms were laughed too. It's made me happy because in the next few days, when I walked past girls, I heard they asked "Is he the essay writer ?". He..he..he.. ;D

Now I wish I could go back to being that age again and still keep my same knowledge and experience. I should have done this 10 years ago. But I'm sure Allah has His reasons...
Few years ago I often wished the same hope too. Went sleep, and wake as 14 years old boy. Meet my beloved dad, and live my life as better person. But now I have realized, that's the worst thing that would happen to me, if that could be really happen. A little change in the past would make a big change in the present, and bigger change in the future. If I could back to my 14 years old age, my wife and my kids in this present must be different. No, no, I love my family in this present, they are my happiness. :statisfie

Who Am I?
06-19-2011, 05:28 AM
I still have the imagination, but as an adult, I don't get to use it as freely as I did when I was a kid. The things you say and do as a kid are cute, but those same things as an adult will get you committed to a mental institution. It's just one of the disadvantages to being an adult with adult problems. Most of the time I don't enjoy adult life. It seems like it is mostly work and no play anymore.

At 25, I was still very much an angry young man trying to find my place in the world. I had withdrawn from everyone and spent most of my time in my room (I still lived at home back then) on the computer or playing video games. If I could go back now, I would kick the chair out from under myself, grab myself by my Beavis and Butthead t-shirt collar, and toss myself out the door with instructions not to come back until I had lightened up and found the truth.

sister herb
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I still have great imagination. I put it to charity campaings now and hope it can help others. Campaings are very adult ones but they also need child imagination as they are helping kids.

sister herb
06-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Example:

Think youself as 5 year old kid in Gaza, your mom is killed in front of your eyes. What you really want?

Okok you yell and cry and want to run away.

Teddy?

imsad Kind of thinks I image when I create my campaings. Beign kid? Yes yes!

ardianto
06-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Early of 90's in Indonesia. Cellphone was known as Executive Personal Phone. If you had cellphone, it could improve your credibility when you requested loan to the banks. For ordinary people, fixed phones were enough.

Nowadays. Cellphones are known as cheap phones, even beggars have cellphones too. And when you request loan to the banks, they always ask you "Do you have fixed phone in your house ?"

Who Am I?
06-20-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't even have a house phone anymore. I never bothered to put one in when I moved because I didn't really need it. I have my cell phone. People can reach me there.

sister herb
06-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Hih. I am from land of Nokia. First cellphones here weigt were 5 kg.

First computers costs were as car. ;D

ardianto
06-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Hih. I am from land of Nokia. First cellphones here weigt were 5 kg.
Here, we called Nokia 9000 as "Brick"
First computers costs were as car. ;D
Did you have expensive computer or cheap car ?. :D

sister herb
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Expensive computer. :heated:

sister herb
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Here, we called Nokia 9000 as "Brick"
We too called it same.

Who Am I?
06-20-2011, 06:29 PM
I remember the first mobile phones in the early 80's. They used to be called "bricks" because they were the size of cinder blocks.

The first computer was built I think during WW2 for codebreaking and it took up an entire room.

sister herb
06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I remember the first mobile phones in the early 80's. They used to be called "bricks" because they were the size of cinder blocks.

The first computer was built I think during WW2 for codebreaking and it took up an entire room.
Yes. They were big ones.

Futuwwa
06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Depends on how you define computer. If you count purely mechanical ones which are powered simply by turning a crank, there were computers already in the 19th century.

Who Am I?
06-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Depends on how you define computer. If you count purely mechanical ones which are powered simply by turning a crank, there were computers already in the 19th century.
I was thinking of electronic computers. The first electronic computer was I think built in WW2.

ardianto
06-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Back to the era before internet.

If popular social network nowadays are facebook and Twitter. In Indonesia the popular social network was Citizens' Band Radio (CB Radio)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_band_radio

There were two Wave Length, 11 meters and 2 meters. But 11 meters was the most popular, 2 meters were used only by 'serious people'.

People used CB Radio to chat in the air. They also made many chatter groups, even certain groups had moderators like forum. But different than forum, CB chatter people sometime meet 'off-air', in gathering or in dating. No wonder if some people called CB Radio as "the good tool for people who want to get spouses". But same like in internet, in CB Radio world, there were some fake chatters, ages are over 40, but pretended like early 20's people to attract opposite gender.

My senior colleague was CB chatter. He meet in the air with a woman who called herself "teteh" (older sister). He thought she's only few years older than him. However, when he meet her in gathering, he's knew if that women age was almost same with his mother.

But this is not the end of the story because finally he knew, that woman has a daughter. That's why, when he told this story, he said "I was chatting in the air with my mother-in-law".

Alpha Bravo Charlie ..... break ! break ! ...... copy ..... roger.

sister herb
06-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Yes. My teacher was in one cource Kaj Niemi. He built first computer here.

sister herb
06-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Here I mean Finland.

ardianto
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
My dad bought a personal computer in early of 1988. Not so expensive. I used it only when i back home to Bandung. Then I took computer course. The lessons were DOS, Wordstar, Lotus, BASIC programing language, etc.

By the way, until early of 90's computer usually had "Turbo button", if you need more speed, you could push that button, and the computer would run faster.

sister herb
06-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Do you know that Nokia is town in Finland? Before cellphones it made tires and rubber boots.

Originally Nokia is Nois.

This is nois:

ardianto
06-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Why don't Nokia make new batteries for 1999 model Nokia 3210 like this ?

I have two Nokia 3210 that still in good condition except their batteries that have been 'expired'.

Frankly, I never found any cellphone brand with excellent durability like Nokia. :thumbs_up

sister herb
06-25-2011, 10:17 AM

I have two Nokia 3210 that still in good condition except their batteries that have been 'expired'.

Frankly, I never found any cellphone brand with excellent durability like Nokia. :thumbs_up
;D

I had same too. But batteries... Now I have Samsung. Its techonogy is :heated:

Haya emaan
06-25-2011, 02:11 PM

my mom still have this one...nicely packed and saved in her locker...:D

ardianto
06-25-2011, 02:42 PM

The most popular cellphone in Indonesia during 1999-2001. Nokia 5110

We called it "handphone sejuta umat" (cellphone of million ummah)

Reflections
06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
^ Oh I remember that phone!

Futuwwa
06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Strange, my experiences are the opposite. To me, they always seem to stop working after a few years. But then, I haven't really tried any other manufacturer so idk. I used to think that it was inevitable. With people in Finland tending to change phones annually or so to get the latest Nokia goodness, it makes little business sense to make phones that last for ages.

I've still not bothered to find out about all the cool stuff my current phone can do. I'd settle for a back-to-basics phone as long as it's durable and reliable. If Viktor Kalashnikov became a cell phone designer, I'd buy his right away.

sister herb
06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
If Viktor Kalashnikov became a cell phone designer, I'd buy his right away.
AK-47 cellphone? Sounds nice.

Futuwwa
06-25-2011, 07:31 PM
No, a cellphone with the same longevity, reliability and durability of an AK47

Who Am I?
06-26-2011, 04:07 AM
Frankly I'd settle for one that can shoot bullets myself.

Anyway, I want a ferret too now.

Oh, and yes, Samsung phones suck. I have one right now. One more month and I can get a new contract and inshallah a new phone.

Ramadhan
06-27-2011, 05:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
h, and yes, Samsung phones suck. I have one right now. One more month and I can get a new contract and inshallah a new phone.

If I were you, I'd buy one of these phones which make me drool:
http://www.androidtapp.com/10-best-android-phones-2011/
http://www.androidtapp.com/10-best-a...phones-2011/2/

Especially this one:

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my blackberry as most of family, friends and colleagues are on BB :(

ardianto
06-27-2011, 02:20 PM
No, a cellphone with the same longevity, reliability and durability of an AK47

This is the cellphone that you mean, Ericsson R250s

Reflections
06-27-2011, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my blackberry
Stuck with bb?! It's awesome..I love my bb!

Who Am I?
06-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm thinking Verizon for my next contract. Maybe AT&T.

Ramadhan
06-28-2011, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
I'm thinking Verizon for my next contract. Maybe AT&T.

If you choose AT&T, this phone is smashing: LG Optimus 3D (or sold by AT&T as LG Thrill 4G): http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...om-ATT-674278/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!