/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I reverted last night!

DippedinJannah
06-19-2011, 02:45 AM
I made my Shahada on Friday, June 17th.

It was a cyber-shahada :-)

I wrote up the story and thought others might enjoy reading it:

americanmuslimforum.org/uploads/My%20Shahada%20by%20DippedInJannah.pdf

I still have so much to learn. This forum is a blessing.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Starrynight
06-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Congratulations!

Just_A_Girl13
06-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Salaam brother,

Congratulations and welcome back to Islam :) I reverted on June 9th. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and I will keep you in my duaas. I wish I could read your story, but the PDF crashed my browser each time I tried to open it :(

Peace and blessings be with you

Dagless
06-19-2011, 03:10 AM
Congratulations! I really enjoyed reading your story, especially about the "simulation of death" thing. I think it's something many people can relate to, but then once it passes so many brush it off and think themselves immortal again :(
Anyway, welcome to the forum and I look forward to reading more of your posts :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamicRevival
06-19-2011, 03:19 AM
Congratulations and Welcome to Islam :)

Ramadhan
06-19-2011, 04:02 AM
Alhamdulillah!
Welcome back to Islam, brother.

Can you please also add your story in here http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...s-here-37.html
That way future members of this forum will also be able to read it.

Ramadhan
06-19-2011, 04:19 AM
subhanallah!

I have just finished reading your story and was completely mesmerized by it and was crying in the inside by the end of your story. Especially during the live chat record, I was breathless and was following it as if your shahada was actually taking action live.

Again, congratulations my brother in Islam. May Allah SWT keep guiding you to the straight path and make you steadfast in your deen. Ameen.
Please make a lot of du'as and remember us in your du'as Insha Allah.

Riana17
06-19-2011, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Salaam brother,

Congratulations and welcome back to Islam :) I reverted on June 9th. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and I will keep you in my duaas. I wish I could read your story, but the PDF crashed my browser each time I tried to open it :(

Peace and blessings be with you
SALAM, welcome to our Deen and Mabrook Inshallah

and Sister please dont be sad, here i converted for you:

Cyber-Shahada?
by DippedInJannah • June 17, 2011
Background
I am a middle-aged American who lives Oregon. I was raised in the Catholic faith. Although I respect and honor that faith, I have always had some problems with the theology, particularly around the ideas of original sin and trinity. In college, I studied comparative religion. I experimented widely in religion. Although I’ve read hundreds of books on Christianity and Judaism, I also spent a long period studying and practicing Zen Buddhism.
I spent my twenties leading a typical hedonistic lifestyle – drugs, sex, etc. I made several mistakes I feel bad about to this day.
Once I was sick and lay in bed for several hours with the world spinning. I had this idea that I was going to die, and it suddenly struck me that even though I might or might not die just then, I would certainly die some day. Death is inevitable and the common heritage of man. So what thoughts would I have at the moment of death? What would go through my head? I imagined that I would finally have to make up my mind: do I believe in God? Yes or no? There would be no time for long intellectual explanations or equivocations. I would have to answer Yes or No. With death staring me in the face, I would not have the luxury of deferring the decision while I read another book.
Yes or no?
I knew in my heart that the answer was Yes. It was as if I’d simulated the moments leading up to death in my imagination. When faced with the ultimate reality – staring into the maw of eternity – my answer was Yes, I believe. Yes, I know.
And I have never had any doubts about the existence of God since then. I think I could have had the same realization at any moment in life – it was just the thought (simulation in my mind) that I was soon to die and there was no more time to debate – give me your final answer! – that pushed me to a decision.
That was the last time I used drugs or any intoxicants. I’ve been strictly clean for 15 years. After that experience, I did not immediately become more or less religious, but it was the planting of a seed and a deep realization in me.
Gradually as years went by, I returned to daily prayer. Over the last ten or so years, I’ve developed a strong habit of praying many times a day, regardless of any questions about theology. I believe in God and there is no doubt in my mind. I eventually realized that I had never formed any kind of relationship with Jesus – I don’t pray to him, I don’t really consider him on a regular basis, and even when I was going to Mass, it was mostly to pray in a sacred, quiet space.
About six weeks ago I began to ask God for guidance. I realized I’d been praying over the years mostly when I wanted something, or to say thanks. I was very strict about always saying thanks, and many of my prayers were for others, but it was still a transactional kind of relationship. So I began to pray to God, asking Him to bring me closer to Him. That was my only change. The rest of my life was normal, but every day I asked God to guide me on a path to come closer to Him and to guide my life.
Approaching Islam
Not long after, I was reading Wikipedia, jumping from one article to the next (yes, I’m strange, but I like to read the encyclopedia!) I do not remember the trail that lead me to reading an article on Islam, but I remember the article. The topic was the Qur’anic “Initials” that precede some surah and the mystery about them. I found it fascinating and spent a couple hours reading about the Qu’ran and Islam.
I had studied comparative religion in college. Mostly, I’d focused on the Eastern traditions. I had read only enough about Islam to pass my exams, but I still had some of my books and I flipped through them. Soon I found myself devouring them and I found I couldn’t read fast enough. I read and read.
At the same time I continued my prayers. I read forums, I watched videos, and I began to listen to the Quran. I taught myself the Arabic alphabet and some basic words.
I was touched to learn that those who revert are washed clean of their sins. I still feel bad about a few things I did earlier in life and while I have made sincere effort to make amends – and those I offended perhaps do not even remember my offenses at this point – these deeds still bother me. The potential to start with a clean slate was very powerful. I pondered Ar-Rahim often.
I found a Quran reciter – Qari Waheed Zafar Qasmi – whose voice penetrated me deeply. A few days ago I resolved to learn the first surah, al-Fatinah. I put Qasmi’s recitation on my iPod and listened to it continuously. Last night I feel asleep listening to it and when I woke up this morning, it was still playing in a loop. How many hundreds of times had I heard al-Fatinah in my sleep! The recitation is about one minute for that surah, and I slept about eight hours. 8 times 60 = 480 times!
Hurdles
I was not yet convinced that I should become a Muslim. I had not really discussed it with my wife, who is Christian (though not practicing much). And I thought, if I am going to become a Muslim, I want to make sure I have a couple bacon cheeseburgers before I sign up! Why not wait until after Ramadan? :-) Also, another hurdle is that the nearest Masjid is about an hour’s drive from my house. Plus, I don’t know any Muslims in “real life” (just those I have met online). Also, this fall I am going to the Bay area for a conference and perhaps I should find a Masjid there and make Shahada.
All of these considerations made me think that I should wait. Now, I had read many times that the moment one is certain that Islam is the truth, he should make Shahada immediately. However, with all these thoughts and external concerns, I should wait...
...or so I thought. But al-Fatinah was working inside me.
I met my thoughts throughout the day and realized my thinking was faulty.
First, I was trying to find the perfect moment to make Shahada. But that was immaterial. Shahada was only the first step in walking together with Allah. Beginning the journey is the most important thing. The point is to get on the train, not worry about finding the perfect seat!
I was waiting until I had mastered Islam at a high level. I wanted to improve my Arabic, learn all the prayers by heart, learn deeply all the theology and rules and such. But I realized it that Allah would rather have someone who has made the commitment and whose knowledge of practice is less than perfect, than someone who has perfectly memorized a range of practice but has yet to make Shahada. And submitting to His will is the most important thing – it’s what He wants, not me!
I also was not ready to take on what I perceived as the burdens of Islam – the requirements to pray, fast, abstain, etc. But al-Fatinah was working in my head. All day long I could hear ar-Rahim echoing in my mind. Which is better, to carry the burdens of my past sins, or to be relieved of them and assume the mantle of Islam? And what really is the “burden” I was perceiving? To pray? I already pray many times a day. To not eat pork? To fast? My waistline could use a little fasting!
And what about the externalities of the world – no local Masjid, discussion with family, meeting other Muslims, etc.? Surely Allah would provide. Did Allah want me to be a Muslim? Of course. So why would he not provide what I needed to practice Islam? He would sweep away barriers.
What was I waiting for?
Perhaps this was Allah’s answer to my prayer – to remove the coverings from my eyes and realize I was ready. I had been praying to God to bring me closer to him. The path was staring me in the face.
Friday Night
I was alone for several hours on Friday, June 17, 2011 in the evening. I’d taken my dog to the park and then spent some time doing work around the house and listening to the Qu’ran (Nadir Al-Qallawi’s recitation, with Bilal Abdul Kareem’s English translation).
Suddenly I remembered IslamReligion.com. I had seen that site before and read most of the material on it, like a dozen other sites that I had voraciously consumed. I remember they had a “live chat” feature where they would hear your Shahada.
The idea to make Shahada there popped into my head. No, that would be silly! I envisioned my Shahada as taking place as a kind of solemn moment, in a special place...not in my living room! I might go to the Pacific ocean and make it at sunset, or perhaps drive to the mountains, etc.
But then I asked myself really, is the important thing to start the journey or the important thing to wait for the perfect moment? Is it the external staging or the inner commitment? I will say Shahada every day until I die and I can say it in special places, in solemn moments – but the important thing is the first Shahada, the release from past sins, the beginning of the journey.
Perhaps I would die in my sleep that night.
I looked at the live chat button.

And clicked it. I could always close the browser window, after all...
info: Please wait for a site adviser to respond.info: You are now chatting with 'Fahad' Fahad: Hello. Welcome to our live chat. Fahad: How can I assist you today? you: Hello Fahad Fahad: hello you: I have been thinking a lot about becoming a Muslim. Fahad: ok Fahad: should i help you with it? you: well, here is my question... you: I have read a number of books you: and by the way, I really like IslamReligion.com -great site -lots of information Fahad: Alhumdulillah you: however, the nearest masjid is 45 minutes away from me Fahad: ok you: I have a book on how to pray and I think I understand the basics Fahad: great you: So do you think I should make shahadah or should I wait until I find a masjid that I can regularly attend? Fahad: i can help you say the shahadah right now and then provide you with information, advice and literature that would help you as a new muslim Fahad: should i?
And here I paused. Fahad probably thought I’d dropped off but it was a last moment of hesitation I had to overcome.
Then finally...
you: yes Fahad: I am so glad that you have decided to convert to Islam, which is our way to God's love, Eternal Paradise, and to salvation from Hellfire. Fahad: It is easy and we can do it now within few minutes! Fahad: But first I would like to ask you, have you read about Islam and are you convinced that Islam is the true religion of God? you: Yes, i have read several books and your site. But I have not read the whole Quran, only parts of it. you: By the way I am in the U.S. in Oregon Fahad: ok Fahad: Very well! Then I will now explain to you the steps for converting: Fahad: To convert to Islam and become a Muslim all you need to do is to pronounce with a voice that you can hear and with conviction and understanding its meaning:
I testify “La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah.”
Fahad: These Arabic words are called Shahada or the testimony, which I can help you in pronouncing them after a while.
They translates as, “There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah), and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.” Fahad: The first part, “There is no true god but Allah,” means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and that God has neither partner nor son. The second part means that Muhammad was a true Prophet sent by God to humankind. Fahad: To be a Muslim, you should also: -Believe that the Holy Quran is the literal word of God, revealed by Him. -Believe that the Judgment Day (Resurrection Day) is true and will come, as God promised in the Quran. -Believe in the prophets that God sent and the books He revealed, and in His angels. -Accept Islam as your religion. -Not worship anything nor anyone except God. Once you have read the things I mentioned above, please tell me if you accept them. you: Yes, that is what I believe! Fahad: Great! Now all that's left for you is to pronounce the testimony (Shahada). Fahad: If you like, I can call you now over the phone to help you pronounce it. Fahad: Or if you rather not, then I can give you an audio file to hear the testimony from and repeat after it, but it's better that I call so I can help you in pronouncing it right. Fahad: Which way would you prefer? you: You can call me. I would prefer to say it to someone. Fahad: Please give me your number and the first name. you: My name is XXXXXX. Please call me at XXXXXX Fahad: I am calling you now. Please don't leave the chat, as we will return to it after the phone call. Here is the testimony we are going to say together over the phone:
At this point, my phone rang. Fahad greeted me and walked me through the Shahada, which I repeated. (Later in the evening I said the “full” Shahada in its longest form, just to be “sure”). Then we went back to chat.
Fahad: You are now a Muslim! My deepest congratulations to you :) Fahad: I have two good tidings for you! Fahad: The first, when someone converts to Islam, God forgives all of his previous sins and evil deeds. Secondly, the Prophet said: "No one says 'La ilaha illa Allah' and passes away on it (i.e. believing in it), but he/she will enter Heaven (Paradise)." you: This is very exciting. you: By the way, what country are you in? Fahad: Pakistan

Ramadhan
06-19-2011, 04:47 AM
Here's full version:

Cyber-Shahada?
by DippedInJannah • June 17, 2011

Background

I am a middle-aged American who lives Oregon. I was raised in the Catholic faith. Although I respect and
honor that faith, I have always had some problems with the theology, particularly around the ideas of original
sin and trinity. In college, I studied comparative religion. I experimented widely in religion. Although I’ve
read hundreds of books on Christianity and Judaism, I also spent a long period studying and practicing Zen
Buddhism.
I spent my twenties leading a typical hedonistic lifestyle – drugs, sex, etc. I made several mistakes I feel bad
about to this day.
Once I was sick and lay in bed for several hours with the world spinning. I had this idea that I was going to die,
and it suddenly struck me that even though I might or might not die just then, I would certainly die some day.
Death is inevitable and the common heritage of man. So what thoughts would I have at the moment of death?
What would go through my head? I imagined that I would finally have to make up my mind: do I believe in
God? Yes or no? There would be no time for long intellectual explanations or equivocations. I would have to
answer Yes or No. With death staring me in the face, I would not have the luxury of deferring the decision
while I read another book.
Yes or no?
I knew in my heart that the answer was Yes. It was as if I’d simulated the moments leading up to death in my
imagination. When faced with the ultimate reality – staring into the maw of eternity – my answer was Yes, I
believe. Yes, I know.
And I have never had any doubts about the existence of God since then. I think I could have had the same
realization at any moment in life – it was just the thought (simulation in my mind) that I was soon to die and
there was no more time to debate – give me your final answer! – that pushed me to a decision.
That was the last time I used drugs or any intoxicants. I’ve been strictly clean for 15 years. After that
experience, I did not immediately become more or less religious, but it was the planting of a seed and a deep
realization in me.
Gradually as years went by, I returned to daily prayer. Over the last ten or so years, I’ve developed a strong
habit of praying many times a day, regardless of any questions about theology. I believe in God and there is no
doubt in my mind. I eventually realized that I had never formed any kind of relationship with Jesus – I don’t
pray to him, I don’t really consider him on a regular basis, and even when I was going to Mass, it was mostly to
pray in a sacred, quiet space.
About six weeks ago I began to ask God for guidance. I realized I’d been praying over the years mostly when I
wanted something, or to say thanks. I was very strict about always saying thanks, and many of my prayers were
for others, but it was still a transactional kind of relationship. So I began to pray to God, asking Him to bring
me closer to Him. That was my only change. The rest of my life was normal, but every day I asked God to
guide me on a path to come closer to Him and to guide my life.

Approaching Islam
Not long after, I was reading Wikipedia, jumping from one article to the next (yes, I’m strange, but I like to read
the encyclopedia!) I do not remember the trail that lead me to reading an article on Islam, but I remember the
article. The topic was the Qur’anic “Initials” that precede some surah and the mystery about them. I found it
fascinating and spent a couple hours reading about the Qu’ran and Islam.
I had studied comparative religion in college. Mostly, I’d focused on the Eastern traditions. I had read only
enough about Islam to pass my exams, but I still had some of my books and I flipped through them. Soon I
found myself devouring them and I found I couldn’t read fast enough. I read and read.
At the same time I continued my prayers. I read forums, I watched videos, and I began to listen to the Quran. I
taught myself the Arabic alphabet and some basic words.
I was touched to learn that those who revert are washed clean of their sins. I still feel bad about a few things I
did earlier in life and while I have made sincere effort to make amends – and those I offended perhaps do not
even remember my offenses at this point – these deeds still bother me. The potential to start with a clean slate
was very powerful. I pondered Ar-Rahim often.
I found a Quran reciter – Qari Waheed Zafar Qasmi – whose voice penetrated me deeply. A few days ago I
resolved to learn the first surah, al-Fatinah. I put Qasmi’s recitation on my iPod and listened to it continuously.
Last night I feel asleep listening to it and when I woke up this morning, it was still playing in a loop. How
many hundreds of times had I heard al-Fatinah in my sleep! The recitation is about one minute for that surah,
and I slept about eight hours. 8 times 60 = 480 times!

Hurdles
I was not yet convinced that I should become a Muslim. I had not really discussed it with my wife, who is
Christian (though not practicing much). And I thought, if I am going to become a Muslim, I want to make sure
I have a couple bacon cheeseburgers before I sign up! Why not wait until after Ramadan? :-) Also, another
hurdle is that the nearest Masjid is about an hour’s drive from my house. Plus, I don’t know any Muslims in
“real life” (just those I have met online). Also, this fall I am going to the Bay area for a conference and perhaps
I should find a Masjid there and make Shahada.
All of these considerations made me think that I should wait. Now, I had read many times that the moment one
is certain that Islam is the truth, he should make Shahada immediately. However, with all these thoughts and
external concerns, I should wait...
...or so I thought. But al-Fatinah was working inside me.
I met my thoughts throughout the day and realized my thinking was faulty.
First, I was trying to find the perfect moment to make Shahada. But that was immaterial. Shahada was only the
first step in walking together with Allah. Beginning the journey is the most important thing. The point is to get
on the train, not worry about finding the perfect seat!
I was waiting until I had mastered Islam at a high level. I wanted to improve my Arabic, learn all the prayers by
heart, learn deeply all the theology and rules and such. But I realized it that Allah would rather have someone
who has made the commitment and whose knowledge of practice is less than perfect, than someone who has
perfectly memorized a range of practice but has yet to make Shahada. And submitting to His will is the most
important thing – it’s what He wants, not me!
I also was not ready to take on what I perceived as the burdens of Islam – the requirements to pray, fast, abstain,
etc. But al-Fatinah was working in my head. All day long I could hear ar-Rahim echoing in my mind. Which
is better, to carry the burdens of my past sins, or to be relieved of them and assume the mantle of Islam? And
what really is the “burden” I was perceiving? To pray? I already pray many times a day. To not eat pork? To
fast? My waistline could use a little fasting!
And what about the externalities of the world – no local Masjid, discussion with family, meeting other Muslims,
etc.? Surely Allah would provide. Did Allah want me to be a Muslim? Of course. So why would he not
provide what I needed to practice Islam? He would sweep away barriers.
What was I waiting for?
Perhaps this was Allah’s answer to my prayer – to remove the coverings from my eyes and realize I was ready.
I had been praying to God to bring me closer to him. The path was staring me in the face.

Friday Night
I was alone for several hours on Friday, June 17, 2011 in the evening. I’d taken my dog to the park and then
spent some time doing work around the house and listening to the Qu’ran (Nadir Al-Qallawi’s recitation, with
Bilal Abdul Kareem’s English translation).
Suddenly I remembered IslamReligion.com. I had seen that site before and read most of the material on it, like
a dozen other sites that I had voraciously consumed. I remember they had a “live chat” feature where they
would hear your Shahada.
The idea to make Shahada there popped into my head. No, that would be silly! I envisioned my Shahada as
taking place as a kind of solemn moment, in a special place...not in my living room! I might go to the Pacific
ocean and make it at sunset, or perhaps drive to the mountains, etc.
But then I asked myself really, is the important thing to start the journey or the important thing to wait for the
perfect moment? Is it the external staging or the inner commitment? I will say Shahada every day until I die
and I can say it in special places, in solemn moments – but the important thing is the first Shahada, the release
from past sins, the beginning of the journey.
Perhaps I would die in my sleep that night.
I looked at the live chat button.
And clicked it. I could always close the browser window, after all...
info: Please wait for a site adviser to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Fahad'
Fahad: Hello. Welcome to our live chat.
Fahad: How can I assist you today?
you: Hello Fahad
Fahad: hello
you: I have been thinking a lot about becoming a Muslim.
Fahad: ok
Fahad: should i help you with it?
you: well, here is my question...
you: I have read a number of books
you: and by the way, I really like IslamReligion.com - great site - lots of information
Fahad: Alhumdulillah
you: however, the nearest masjid is 45 minutes away from me
you: I have a book on how to pray and I think I understand the basics
Fahad: great
you: So do you think I should make shahadah or should I wait until I find a masjid that I can regularly attend?
Fahad: i can help you say the shahadah right now and then provide you with information, advice and literature that would
help you as a new muslim
Fahad: should i?
And here I paused. Fahad probably thought I’d dropped off but it was a last moment of hesitation I had to
overcome.
Then finally...
you: yes
Fahad: I am so glad that you have decided to convert to Islam, which is our way to God's love, Eternal Paradise, and to
salvation from Hellfire.
Fahad: It is easy and we can do it now within few minutes!
Fahad: But first I would like to ask you, have you read about Islam and are you convinced that Islam is the true religion of
God?
you: Yes, i have read several books and your site. But I have not read the whole Quran, only parts of it.
you: By the way I am in the U.S. in Oregon
Fahad: Very well! Then I will now explain to you the steps for converting:
Fahad: To convert to Islam and become a Muslim all you need to do is to pronounce with a voice that you can hear and
with conviction and understanding its meaning:
Fahad: These Arabic words are called Shahada or the testimony, which I can help you in pronouncing them after a while.
They translates as, “There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah), and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.”
Fahad: The first part, “There is no true god but Allah,” means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and
that God has neither partner nor son. The second part means that Muhammad was a true Prophet sent by God to
humankind.
Fahad: To be a Muslim, you should also:
- Believe that the Holy Quran is the literal word of God, revealed by Him.
- Believe that the Judgment Day (Resurrection Day) is true and will come, as God promised in the Quran.
- Believe in the prophets that God sent and the books He revealed, and in His angels.
- Accept Islam as your religion.
- Not worship anything nor anyone except God.
Once you have read the things I mentioned above, please tell me if you accept them.
you: Yes, that is what I believe!
Fahad: Great! Now all that's left for you is to pronounce the testimony (Shahada).
Fahad: If you like, I can call you now over the phone to help you pronounce it.
Fahad: Or if you rather not, then I can give you an audio file to hear the testimony from and repeat after it, but it's better
that I call so I can help you in pronouncing it right.
Fahad: Which way would you prefer?
you: You can call me. I would prefer to say it to someone.
Fahad: Please give me your number and the first name.
you: My name is XXXXXX. Please call me at XXXXXX
Fahad: I am calling you now. Please don't leave the chat, as we will return to it after the phone call.
Here is the testimony we are going to say together over the phone:
At this point, my phone rang. Fahad greeted me and walked me through the Shahada, which I repeated. (Later
in the evening I said the “full” Shahada in its longest form, just to be “sure”). Then we went back to chat.
Fahad: You are now a Muslim! My deepest congratulations to you :)
Fahad: I have two good tidings for you!
Fahad: The first, when someone converts to Islam, God forgives all of his previous sins and evil deeds.
Secondly, the Prophet said: "No one says 'La ilaha illa Allah' and passes away on it (i.e. believing in it), but he/she will
enter Heaven (Paradise)."
you: This is very exciting.
you: By the way, what country are you in?
Fahad: Pakistan
Fahad: Can we have your email address, so we may email you some pieces of advice and ebooks suitable for you as a
new Muslim?
you: Yes, that would be great.
you: My email is: XXXXXXX
Fahad: We would like to send you by postal mail a free package, which contains a translation of the Quran, some Islamic
books, and a DVD on how to pray. If you like us to send you this package, then please write us your postal or street
address in this chat or thru email. Since the package is sent from Saudi Arabia, it could take about 2-4 weeks to reach
you, God Willing.
you: OK, I am just about to move. Can I send my postal address to you in a month when I am in my new house - I don't
want it to get lost.
Fahad: sure no problem
Fahad: you may email us
Fahad: Our email address is: support@islamreligion.com
you: This is very exciting. I am a little breathless :-)
Fahad: i can imagine brother :)
you: I am going to read more on your site.
Fahad: sure
Fahad: Ok, I am not in the office right now. So I will not be able to send the email right away.
Fahad: So I am going to paste some useful information regarding prayers etc here.
Fahad: You do not have to copy it.
Fahad: You can have the transcript of this chat emailed to you by pressing on "Email" button, which is above.
Fahad: And then you can read it later after the chat is over.
Fahad: Here we go:
Fahad: For learning prayers, the following online video will be very useful:
Fahad: Step-by-Step Guide to Prayer (video)
Fahad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgWjwnT6Z34
Fahad: And here are some flashes also:
Fahad: - How to Pray (flash) http://www.islamreligion.com/flashes/prayer.swf
Fahad: - How to Perform Ablution (which is necessary for Prayer) (flash) http://www.islamreligion.com/flashes/ablution.swf
Fahad: This will help you with what you need to pronounce in Arabic in the
prayer: http://transliterations.org/quran/WhatToSayInPrayer.htm
Fahad: It is easier to learn prayer with another Muslim.
Fahad: Also it would be helpful to write the transliteration of the Arabic texts that are said in prayer on a piece of paper,
then to read from it during prayer.
Fahad: If this is too hard for you, you can repeat any of the following Arabic phrases throughout the prayer till you learn
the prayer:
Fahad: 1- "Subhana Allah" [which means Glory to Allah]
Fahad: 2- "Al-Hamdu lillah" [which means Praise to Allah]
Fahad: 3- "Laa ilaaha illa-Allah" [which means There is no god except Allah]
Fahad: 4- "Allahu Akbar" [which means Allah is the greatest]
Fahad: For the prayer times and direction of Makkah, please visit www.islamicfinder.com
Fahad: The prayers do not need to be prayed exactly when the time starts; rather, they can be prayed at any time before
the next prayer time starts. So basically you have a time frame of about 2-3 hours for each prayer. The exception is the
dawn prayer, Fajr, which must be prayed before sunrise. For this reason, you will find the time for sunrise listed on Prayer
schedules, and this does not mean that there is a special prayer for Sunrise.
Fahad: Here are two online books that we highly recommend you to start with. Please give preference to these books
before any other:
Fahad: - Bearing True Witness (General advice for a new Muslim) / by Dr. Laurence Brown
Fahad: http://www.islamreligion.com/ebooks/Bearing-True-Witness.pdf
Fahad: - New Muslim Guide / by Alsheha
Fahad: http://www.islamreligion.com/ebooks/New-Muslim-Guide.pdf
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to XXXX@XXXX at the end of your chat.
you: Thank you, brother. It is truly beautiful that two people from different sides of the planet are united in Islam.
Fahad: thats true :)
Fahad: Most welcome!
Fahad: After this chat, it is recommended, but not necessary, that you take a complete bath (a head to toe shower).
However, it is required to take this bath before the first prayer after conversion. Before you begin this bath, have inside
your heart an intention that this bath is for purifying yourself for worship. Let the water reach all your body and head, even
a little bit inside your mouth and nose.
Fahad: We are ready to assist you in any way we can.
Please feel free to contact us anytime by email at support@islamreligion.com or by visiting this chat service. It is online
daily from 12pm till 3pm Eastern Time (5pm-8pm Greenwich Time).
Fahad: And by the way, if you like to receive the transcript of this chat by email, please click on CLOSE button after we
finish chatting. Then you will see an option to email it to yourself.
you: OK, I am going to pray and I will say a special prayer for you.
Fahad: that would be very nice of you brother. do remember me in you prayers
After that, I went for a walk – I wanted to be outdoors in creation. I listened to al-Fatinah again many times.
I suddenly realized my slate was clean. Although I had prayed many times for forgiveness in the past, this time
I truly felt it in the bottom of my heart. What liberation! What an amazing feeling. I don’t know how to
explain it. I guess you could say that previously I had felt in my head (my intellect) that I was forgiven for my
past sins, but now I felt it in my heart.
I came home, bathed, and prayed.
I remembered Fahad and prayed for him.

A Special Moment
And then I realized...my Shahada was a very special moment after all.
Only twenty years ago – half my lifespan – what Fahad and I did tonight would have been impossible. The idea
of an American talking by computer to a Pakistani was impossible. I’m not certain even phone calls would
have been possible or feasible – and certainly not to my cell phone! For 99% of the time man has been on
Earth, it would have been impossible for Fahad and I to cross paths. Yet that night, out of six billion people in
the world, it was at this moment that we connected for a holy purpose.
Fahad and I had nothing in common – completely different cultural backgrounds, different parts of the world,
different families, etc. How amazing is it that Islam brought us together and made us brothers!
And so now I share my story with you, the worldwide brotherhood.
There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah!

Who Am I?
06-19-2011, 04:59 AM
Brother, I congratulate you. I also am a new Muslim who took shahada last week. It felt much the same as you: I felt relieved, envigorated, like a big weight had been removed from my chest. I still think in my heart and mind that it was the right choice.

Just_A_Girl13
06-19-2011, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17
Sister please dont be sad, here i converted for you:
Thank you, you are very nice. I will be sure to read it later today when I have more time :)

Perseveranze
06-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Subhanallah, mashallah brother, very happy for you :)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

The story was absolutely amazing..subhaan'Allaah it is amazing how 2 different people from different parts of the world would contact one another, without the decree of Allaah nothing happens.

subhaan'Allaah, these stories leads one to discover the beauty of the creator and how he guides one to the right path. Somehow reading the story made me feel as if you've been a muslim for years, i really dont know how to explain.

Jazakallaahu Khaayr for sharing.

Please keep us all in your precious du'aas.

tw009
06-19-2011, 05:41 PM
SubhanAllah!

Welcome back to Islam! Loved your story especially the last bit. May Allah keep you on the straight path and ease all your affairs.

Btw, your story is very similar to another member here (Considering) ? are you the same person ? because I was just on his website yesterday and there were many similar things from your story to that site and I really appreciated all the work that has been put in the site. (http://www.consideringislam.org)

Predator
06-19-2011, 05:53 PM
SubhanAllah!

Welcome back to Islam!

Misz_Muslimah
06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Subhanallah..Welcome to Islam!
Your story was so touching, May Allah bless you for sharing it :)

Futuwwa
06-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Welcome home :)

Haya emaan
06-19-2011, 06:51 PM
welcome to islam the path of peace the path of jannah

subhanAllah..! your story is amazing..
the one who truly seeks guidance is guided by Allah (SWT)
MASHALLAH!

missy
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DippedinJannah

:sl:,

SubhanAllah! Congrats Brother!
May Allah SWT Bless you and Reward you well. Ameen
Welcome to Islam and to IB Forum as well. I pray that you benefit from your stay here.

:wa:

Zafran
06-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Salaam

Congratulations

welcome to Islam

peace

One Chance
06-19-2011, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DippedinJannah

Mashallah very inspirational

waji
06-20-2011, 07:43 AM
اسلام علیکم

سبحان اللہ
Congratulations brother
May Allah Keep You and all of us on the righteous path of Islam Ameen

rose17
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Congratulations Brother!!!

Danah
06-20-2011, 11:41 PM
SubhanAllah!! What an amazing story, I was really very moved by your story, brother. Congratulation and welcome back to your original home.
May Allah bless you and keep you and all of us always steadfast in the right path. Please remember me as well in your prayer.

Can I post your revert story on my website? I have a section for reverts stories here, and I think yours will be the latest one as it only happened few days ago!!

Scimitar
06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
All praise to Allah, the Merciful and Benfeicient, Lord of all creation. Ameen.

At Brother Dipped in Jannah

Your story touched me very deeply becasue the themes resonate with my own life. Alhamdulillah, I was born a Muslim but never really followed it until - like you had a calling.

It always amazes me, when I reflect on the journeys of the soul. Not just mine, as that journey is all too familiar- but the journey of souls belonging to others. Yours was so beautiful, I cried on more than one occasion, and asked Allah for even more guidance.

Alhamdulillah, you accepted the truth and the way. And I for one, am excited and pleased to have you as my brother. For birds of a feather, flock together...

Assalaam Alaikum WaRahmatullahi WaBarakatuhu

Brother Scimitar

peace_maker
06-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Mashaallah, brother. Your story is very inspiring.

Allah has guided you to the right path, subhaanallah. May He keep you and your family under His protection, and always keep you on this path.
:amin:

jameelash
06-21-2011, 06:40 PM
salam,Alhamdulillah.mayvAllah give happiness throughout u reverts life.aameen

SFatima
07-13-2011, 02:14 AM
MashAllah a very touching story, heart warming. Many many mabrooks :D (congrats) may Allah swt protect you , your eeman and you family from any fitnah and make it easier for you to follow , the journey that you are on ,ameen. One must recite the kalima shahada everyday, it is a great reminder and refresher of the soul indeed.

(p. s i think you mis-spelled surah Fatiha in your pdf doc (the first sura of the Quran), as fatinah , there is no sura by that name.... )

Plenty of Peace and blessings upon you , many prayers : )

m2p
09-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Mashallah may allah accept your shahadah

Snowflake
09-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Subhan Allah Allahu akbar!

Welcome to the biggest family on earth. May Allah take you from strength to strength in serving Him and His creation and earning the rewards and blessings that'll take to the highest station in Paradise. Ameeeeeeeeeen!

Endymion
09-25-2011, 04:30 PM

1.5 Billion + 2 yuppieeee........ Drum Rolls :alright:

Endymion
09-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Another intresting thing i read in this story is the recitation of Qari Waheed Zafar Qasmi.He is indeed an amazing Qari and he sing Naats as well.He is blessed with an amzing voice.Once a movie maker offer him to sing songs for his movies but he refused and said"I cant sing songs with the same tongue that recite Quran and sing the characteristics of Muhammad SAW.Subhannallah.He is indeed the pride of Pakistan.

And that Fahad belongs to Pakistan thing made me smile.I wish my little Engineer Fahad will also become the one who show light to others.Amen.

Galaxy
09-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Mashaa Allaah, alhamdulillaah

Signor
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Endymion:
really! is that true??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!