/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sisters, a few questions about hijab

Just_A_Girl13
06-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Salaam sisters,

I plan to begin wearing hijab very soon. I have a few questions about hijab that I am hoping you will be able to answer for me. My first question is about printed scarves. Is it okay to wear them as a hijab? I know that there are some sisters who say that it undermines the concept of modesty, which is the entire purpose of wearing hijab, but there are also sisters who argue that Allah (s.w.t.) loves all things that are beautiful, and that as such there should be no problem with a printed scarf. Also, there are no Islamic stores in my area so i have a great deal of trouble buying hijabs at regular retail stores. So what if I only wear a printed scarf for convenience purposes, and not with the intention of being attractive to men, etc? I am unsure of what the correct view is. Can you advise me about this?

Also, I am going on a vacation very soon and I will be visiting a theme park and going to the beach. I am very afraid of my scarf getting caught in a machine or flying off during a ride. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have no underscarf available to me, so that is not an option. Also, what can I wear to the beach? I plan to wear a loose, long sleeved tee-shirt and leggings-- is this sufficient? Obviously I don't want to wear a very nice scarf as the seawater would most likely ruin it. So what do you recommend I wear to cover my hair? Any advice you have on this matter would be appreciated.

Jazak Allah Khairan for your help!

Peace and blessings be with you all :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Just_A_Girl13
06-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Oh, I'll also add that I would, of course, stay away from any extremely garish patterns. The scarf that I'm wearing most of the time right now is a neutral beige color with a simple pattern of pink flowers on it.

Peace :)

SFatima
06-26-2011, 04:23 PM
walaikum salam sister,

Firstly, you can wear scarves outside in public that are not too bright, too attractively colorful that defy the purpose of hijab. And that can include many dull colors, from black, shades of grey, dark henna greens, beiges and what not. We girls do sort of know which ones are very attractive and which ones aren't. Ofcourse there's always this little buddy satan sitting right next to our ears telling us we don't look so pretty in this scarf or that, but i for most have found all elegant colors looking graceful and bright colors looking too bright. Anyhow, about Allah swt liking beauty, indeed that is true, but in context you have to see what is called as beauty by Allah swt.

Is it flashy expensive clothes, expensive makeup or something else?

Beauty for a woman is her haya ( sense of shame, shyness) her elegance, manners and grace.

Ofcourse she gets to display the makeup and jewellery and her that side to her mahram relatives, but outside the circle of permissible acquaintances, there is a code of conduct she is required to follow, and that is best followed by maintaining a simple yet elegant demeanor. never think even for a moment that you wont look good wearing plain colors, if Allah swt likes you that way, trust me people will find you more charming that way. And if Allah swt is displeased with your demeanor, people will not like you no matter how attractively you wear your dresses/ scarves etc.

And as for how to wrap them around, you can find many tutorials on youtube which tell you how to do them gracefully so that one does not have to struggle with them while on the go. And hey; if a scarf can get caught in a machine, so can hair ; ) So relax, read the duas for safety, Ayatal -kursi and you'll be protected from mis-haps InshAllah. All the best. :)

watch this video on youtube, i cant post a link yet, so write this name and you'll find it

shaitan telling a girl not to take a hijab

Who Am I?
06-27-2011, 02:17 AM
I saw that video and ended up watching a few more linked to it. Thanks for killing some of my time, sister Fatima. ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nature
06-27-2011, 07:44 AM
:sl:

As long as your scarf isnt anything like tiger printed with matching, handbag, and other accessories then i think your fine, and yes there are sisters that dress like that.

Stick to pastel colours, nothing too brite and minimal printing is ok too. As for your hijab getting caught, it just depends how you wear it. Once you get used to it, you'll find a way suitable for you, just secure any loose bits into your outer clothing, i dont use an underscarf and ive no problem with mine. For the beach, stick to loose clothing, preferably cotton, i usually just wear long cotton skirts, leggings arent really appropriate sis, but im sure you'll find a suitable alternative.

Enjoy your vacation. :)

:wa:

peace_maker
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Walaikum Salam

It's a good thing you are so concerned on not being the center of attention.
There is no problem with graphic or printed scarves, as long as they don't have any faces, or text(my assumption it attracts people to read). Don't worry too much on this. Just keep it simple. :)

I think as sis SFatima said, the tutorials on youtube are really helpful. Just be cautious and secure your dressings before you get on a ride.

If it was me, I'd definitely not wear skirts to the beach, as beaches are usually windy. I suggest you also don't wear cotton, as it gets sticked to the body when wet. Maybe you could put on a tee or shirt and cargo pants? Or something heavy that doesn't get along with the wind?
If you are going to the beach, then you need to make sure your scarf's secure. Do everything you can, use as many pins as needed. You don't want it to fly off like a kite. :hmm:

Hope it helps.

Just_A_Girl13
06-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Assalam alaikum sisters,

Jazak Allah Khairan for your replies, you all have been most helpful to me. I think I have found a suitable outfit to wear to the beach-- instead of wearing leggings I will be wearing loose pants that are made out of a material which I have already ensured will not stick to my body when wet. I am now working to find a way of tying my scarf so that it will be safe and secure. Insha'Allah, I will be able to sort everything out before next week. Please keep me in your duaas, if you would, I am quite worried but I know that Allah (s.w.t.) will keep me safe :)

Peace be with you all

Riana17
07-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Salam sister, Sorry I didnt see this thread

during our vacation time, I used to wear this cap (the one before wearing the hijab -dun know what do you call it) and in top of it i would wear thin bonnet. This is ideal for theme park

If you decide to wear that, its good to wear thin turtleneck and wear something top of it, that will protect from showing your body...

thumb2php?srchttp3A2F2Fimagesprontocom2Fimages2Fpr oduction2Fproducts2F672F022Fnord13357d8a712bb5c52c dca4b4f7c2 1301061284 600x920&ampwmax180&amphmax240&ampquality80&ampbgcolFFFFFF -

Note in turtleneck: pls choose something that is tight in hand and in neck (streachable) so it would loook clean and nice to you

I like simple clothes and plain colors, but you are too young, pls enjoy your choice :)

i dont think there is harram when you are respecting yourself, whatever color/design you choose

in many arab countries, it is common for women to wear "CAMEL HIJAB" it is too high & sure thing can catch men's attention, then that's not recommended

elina
07-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Salam justagirl...... someone mentioned tutorials on youtube..... theres a lady called amenakin that does great ones..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Eojhz1gdE shes also really lovely too :) enjoy your holiday :)

Haya emaan
07-03-2011, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riana17

in many arab countries, it is common for women to wear "CAMEL HIJAB" it is too high & sure thing can catch men's attention, then that's not recommended

this reminded me of a hadith..

Prophet Mohammed SAW said:
There will be in the last of my Ummah (nation of believers), scantily dressed women, the hair on the top of their heads like a camel’s hump. Curse them, for verily they are cursed.
(sahih muslim)

Starrynight
07-03-2011, 04:29 PM
About the camel hump, I was told by an arab international student that men think the hump looks ridiculous anyway. Like an alien head or something. So at least it's not catching the mens attention in the good way, lol

Riana17
07-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Salam
Thanks for sharing the hadith, i never knew there is such hadith like that, Subhanallah
actually i dont know how its called, my husband used to refer them with camel, yes and indeed men does not like it but weird thing women feels good about it, sometimes it is unimaginable high

You know one man speak one time "When I visit europe, where there is no Islam, I met many Muslims, when I go to Islamic country where mosque are abundant, i havent found a Muslim?"

It is infact true, I am not against any Islamic country, but in my personal experience, the big reason behind this is lack of education and too much of wealth offered by Government,,, its a long discussion but really sad sad story that things are happening like that

Just_A_Girl13
07-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Salaam sisters,

I have found all of your suggestions to be very helpful. Jazak Allah Khairan for all of your help. Unfortunately, I am unable to wear hijab at the present time because my family doesn't allow it. It makes them upset, so I have chosen to wait for a little while and see if they will be more agreeable after they get used to my new faith. I would greatly appreciate it if you would keep me in your duaas :)

Peace and blessings be with you all

Galaxy
07-03-2011, 10:19 PM

Insha' Allaah ta'aalaa you will get to observe hijaab.

I wonder how long it took those girls to do their hijaab in such way. Not only does it have you cursed, but it also makes the hijaabis look like aliens. Who would want to be cursed just to look like an alien? There are a lot of different versions of hijaab that make me LOL...

Riana17
07-04-2011, 05:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Salaam sisters,

I have found all of your suggestions to be very helpful. Jazak Allah Khairan for all of your help. Unfortunately, I am unable to wear hijab at the present time because my family doesn't allow it. It makes them upset, so I have chosen to wait for a little while and see if they will be more agreeable after they get used to my new faith. I would greatly appreciate it if you would keep me in your duaas :)

Peace and blessings be with you all
Salam Sister you can start slowly by changing your wardrobe, then later on when they finally realize that Islam is too good for you, perhaps you can start to wear the hijab freely

The most important thing is your niyyah or intention.

Who Am I?
07-04-2011, 06:52 AM
I didn't know that looking like a Conehead was in such fashion among the sisters.

Riana17
07-04-2011, 07:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
I didn't know that looking like a Conehead was in such fashion among the sisters.
Women are so complicated brothers loool

Ramadhan
07-04-2011, 07:33 AM
In Indonesia, hijab comes in all kinds of innumerable variety and trends, and most of them are sold ready-made, meaning you don't have learn how to tie them to your head/neck and just put them on right away. Many also have some sort of sun-visor already built-in.

Here's some of the latest trend:

And a police woman wearing hijab:

Riana17
07-04-2011, 09:30 AM

salam i too like this hijab, so simple
I wonder how can i wear that?

Reflections
07-04-2011, 09:45 AM
AsSalaamu 3alaykum,

I know in the UK it's the biggest craze going as of yet, the 'hump' style..which is totally ridiculous astagfirullah

Riana17
07-04-2011, 09:57 AM
salam

Believe it or not I've seen like this in my life:

Look at this man, I am not against anyone wearing such but obviously they must be tired of carrying it and obviously its hard to drive to walk in tight place and so on

its getting bigger & bigger as years pass, eventhough the scientific theories proves that human head is actually getting smaller

Reflections
07-04-2011, 10:03 AM
^lol oh my Allah...SubhanAllah..I've seen something close but not that big..and the man under makes a perfect impression of todays 'hijaabis'..May Allah grant us the true understanding of hijaab and make us implement it in our lives and protect us from fitan..Allahoma ameen

Riana17
07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bint Abi
^lol oh my Allah...SubhanAllah..I've seen something close but not that big..and the man under makes a perfect impression of todays 'hijaabis'..May Allah grant us the true understanding of hijaab and make us implement it in our lives and protect us from fitan..Allahoma ameen
Amen Sister, I hope they didnt read this before otherwise its too sad story.

“There are two types of the people of Hell that I have not seen yet: men with whips like the tails of cattle, with which they strike the people, and women who are clothed yet naked, walking with an enticing gait, with something on their heads that looks like the humps of camels, leaning to one side. They will never enter Paradise or even smell its fragrance, although its fragrance can be detected from such and such a distance.” (Narrated by Ahmad and by Muslim in al-Saheeh).

peace_maker
07-04-2011, 10:48 AM
AsSalaamu 3alaykum,

I know in the UK it's the biggest craze going as of yet, the 'hump' style..which is totally ridiculous astagfirullah
Sometimes I wonder if they actually fix something along with their head to make it look big. :skeleton: I mean, even if we fold the longest, thickest hair, it won't be that big, will it?

Riana17
07-04-2011, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker

Sometimes I wonder if they actually fix something along with their head to make it look big. :skeleton: I mean, even if we fold the longest, thickest hair, it won't be that big, will it?

Salam sister I hope you're doing fine. Here in ME this one is abundant and we knew what they are putting inside
the size varies

Infact many are like these, women with hijab but almost 3/4 of the hair is showing off.
Mentioned for educational purposes only, we hope not to offend anyone

hijabbump3&ampw620&amph400&ampzc1&ampq100 -

not only that, u can say women with thick make up are just abundant everywhere in the mall
which cost them like 200$ each time they go to saloon

dont get me wrong, they are too beautiful, Arabs are too beautiful, but then they loose their beauties becoz of such thick make ups

Reflections
07-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Yes they use them flowery things, they wrap their hair in a bun, and put this clip flower on top and themn wrap their hijaab on top of it...hijaab has become a fashion accessory these days..so has wearing an abayah/jilbab.. the hadeeth 'Actions are judged by intentions'...really does come to mind here.

Riana17
07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Yes they use them flowery things, they wrap their hair in a bun, and put this clip flower on top and themn wrap their hijaab on top of it...hijaab has become a fashion accessory these days..so has wearing an abayah/jilbab.. the hadeeth 'Actions are judged by intentions'...really does come to mind here.
Salam Sister

I am a woman and I'm confident im normal, alhamdollelah, inshallah I will have normal mind till death
so speaking as normal woman forget about riana (lol)
i know and it is very clear to me that when i want to be extra beautiful, my intention is to grab someone's attention whether a man or woman (during non Muslim time & perhaps even now), i dont wear make up but sometimes i feel wearing make up, so i do it at home now that I'm muslim, a month ago, a Muslim sister told me "oh u look older bcoz u like dark clothes, in 1-3days i was trying to wear bright clothes but i came back to where I am comfortable lool"

now when I want to wear something new, maybe bcoz i am bored with wardrobe then that's something else

so normal is something and "extra or OVER" is something else.

salam

Ramadhan
07-04-2011, 11:31 AM
What I don't understand is, if those women put so much make up, how do they clean it all up for wudoo?
And do they re-apply the make up after shalah? it must be a hassle.

peace_maker
07-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Salam sister I hope you're doing fine. Here in ME this one is abundant and we knew what they are putting inside
the size varies

I still can't believe it..

dont get me wrong, they are too beautiful, Arabs are too beautiful, but then they loose their beauties becoz of such thick make ups
True... I think about that all the time. Especially, they have such beautiful eyes, they ruin them by highlighting them badly. It's sad really...

Riana17
07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
What I don't understand is, if those women put so much make up, how do they clean it all up for wudoo?
Salam
well the truth, most of them do not pray, this is fact, I lived here for 8yrs, I worked with them, I mean I observed them truly, i read news on daily basis,

If you know the "SHEERA" or "WAXING", 99% of Arab do full body waxing in Saloon, whereas, as Muslims we cant show our body to anyone except the husband or wife.

ardianto
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Hijabers Community, Indonesia

http://hijaberscommunity.blogspot.com/

peace_maker
07-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Seriously.... Even I think twice before wearing mascara. The days are going short, and everytime I wear it, I'll have to wash it off for the next prayer. :hmm:

Just_A_Girl13
07-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Salaam brother,

I imagine some of them do, but I consider it a waste of time. You would be surprised how many women need to apply a lot of makeup to think they are beautiful. It's so sad. I avoid wearing makeup for this reason-- there's nothing less attractive than runny mascara ;D

Who Am I?
07-04-2011, 11:59 PM
I've seen women with enough makeup to make Bozo the Clown look normal. They sneeze and we have a nuclear winter because the dust blocks the sunlight for weeks.

Starrynight
07-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I have been thinking about the hijab lately. I don't think I will be ready to wear it for a while, but I want to research it more. Does anyone have any good websites or books that talk about it? (History, reasons for women wearing it in Islam, etc)
Thank you!

AishaRayann
07-11-2011, 06:37 PM
As salamu alaikum sister,

May I ask how old you are? In Islam, a woman is considered a woman the day she starts her menses, as the Prophet Muhhammad (pbuh) did not sleep beside our beautiful mother of islam Aisha until after her menses started.If this is the case for you..you are a woman and capable of making your own decisions about hijab and its not your parents decision. In Hadith it say,"
"Ayesha (R) reported that Asmaa the daughter of Abu Bakr (R) came to the Messenger of Allah (S) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." (Abu Dawood)"

So Why Wear Hijab?

There are several reasons:

1)So that we may be recognized as a believer and not a non-believer (kufr).
2)So that we may not draw attention of the mens..and protect our modesty so that we not be harassed.

Surah Al-Ahzab (33:59) states: "O Prophet [PBUH] Tell thy wives and daughters and the believing women that they should put on their outer garments; that is most convenient in order that THEY MAY BE RECOGNIZED (as Muslims) and not be molested."

Volume 6, Book 60, Number 282:
Narrated Safiya bint Shaiba:
‘Aisha used to say: "When (the Verse): "They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms," was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces."

3)For prayer..wudu and prayer not valid if a woman hair is not covered...

Narrated 'Aisha: The believing women covered with their veiling sheets used to attend the Fajr prayer with Allah's Apostle, and after finishing the prayer they would return to their home and nobody could recognize them because of darkness. (Book #10, Hadith #552) Sahih Bukhari

also about prayer..make sure u have your feet covered during prayer..wear socks..because it is not valid if feet not covered.

Hope this helps sis.

-As salamu alaikum, Aisha K.

Starrynight
07-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh no! I don't always cover my feet! I didn't realize that.... do none of my past prayers count? :(

Hamza Asadullah
07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
Oh no! I don't always cover my feet! I didn't realize that.... do none of my past prayers count? :(
Asalaamu Alaikum, My sister you just reverted very recently so you are not expected to know the A-Z fiqh of prayer straight away. Therefore you should ask of Allah to forgive you and you will find that he is most understanding.

Now that you are aware of this in order for your feet to be covered while you pray, you can wear socks that are not transparent or wear a very long skirt that would fall and gather over your feet, and not move such that it uncovers the feet during the movements of her prayer. So it would be better to wear socks so that there is no risk of long skirt uncovering feet during prayer.

Are you currently in touch with any sisters groups in your area or any practising sisters that you meet up with or learn from? If you have anymore questions or need any resources then please do not hesitate to ask.

And Allah knows best in all matters

peace_maker
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AishaRayann
also about prayer..make sure u have your feet covered during prayer..wear socks..because it is not valid if feet not covered.
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Now that you are aware of this in order for your feet to be covered while you pray, you can wear socks that are not transparent or wear a very long skirt that would fall and gather over your feet, and not move such that it uncovers the feet during the movements of her prayer. So it would be better to wear socks so that there is no risk of long skirt uncovering feet during prayer.
Can you both give me any daleel(from quran and sunnah) that says that 'feet MUST be covered during prayer or your prayer's invalid?'

And what exactly is 'fiqh?'

Haya emaan
07-13-2011, 06:48 PM
there's difference of opinion among scholars about covering the feet during the prayer and outside prayer..

nature
07-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Can you both give me any daleel(from quran and sunnah) that says that 'feet MUST be covered during prayer or your prayer's invalid?'

And what exactly is 'fiqh?'
I wana know too, ive never ever seen anyone covering their feet whilst praying ? or heard of this ?? praying in a skirt isnt practical..

Just_A_Girl13
07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature
praying in a skirt isnt practical..
Good point, sister. I had to learn this the hard way ;D

Ramadhan
07-14-2011, 05:43 AM
I wana know too, ive never ever seen anyone covering their feet whilst praying ? or heard of this ?? praying in a skirt isnt practical..

not strictly "skirt", but very loose "skirt"-like garment to cover your feet.
In Indonesia, muslimah normally bring in their bag an outer garment called "mukena" which they wear when perform shalah. The fabric is light and normally can be folded up neatly in a small purse.
mukena consists of top and bottom. The bottom part is that very loose "skirt"-like cloth.

These examples are more elaborate "mukena", but the mukena that most women here wear when doing daily shalah are very simple white two-piece cloth without any embroiderment or embellishment. and they are very easy to wear and very practical, because they are fastened with elastic bands.

Ramadhan
07-14-2011, 05:45 AM
^ from the images, you'll have some idea that by wearing something like mukena, you won't have any worry from fear of showing your arms or legs or feet while praying and doing rukoo' or sujood, therefore you can concentrate better on your shalah.
And because they are only worn for shalah, they are always clean and free from najis. That's another point for worry-free shalah.

nature
07-14-2011, 09:10 AM

not strictly "skirt", but very loose "skirt"-like garment to cover your feet.
In Indonesia, muslimah normally bring in their bag an outer garment called "mukena" which they wear when perform shalah. The fabric is light and normally can be folded up neatly in a small purse.mukena consists of top and bottom. The bottom part is that very loose "skirt"-like cloth.

These examples are more elaborate "mukena", but the mukena that most women here wear when doing daily shalah are very simple white two-piece cloth with embroiderment or embellishment. and they are very easy to wear very practical, because they fastened with elastic bands.
ok there pretty,jzk, but still its actually difficult to pray in a skirt of any kind, esp one thats really long, even if it is loose, if its covering the feet such as the ones in the picture, then its actually really difficult to repeatedly stand up wen praying salah, cos of the material getting caught in footing. maybe sisters can explain better.

If the feet are uncovered, is salah invalid then ?? do men have to cover their feet also ?

format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Good point, sister. I had to learn this the hard way
glad i aint the only 1. maybe its justs practice ? dunno

Ramadhan
07-14-2011, 09:23 AM
ok there pretty,jzk, but still its actually difficult to pray in a skirt of any kind, esp one thats really long, even if it is loose, if its covering the feet such as the ones in the picture, then its actually really difficult to repeatedly stand up wen praying salah, cos of the material getting caught in footing. maybe sisters can explain better.
Actually the bottom of the mukena is very wide, it's almost like a tent.
Your feet don't actually step on it.
all muslimah in Indonesia (they should number in around 100 millions) have used it for hundreds of years maybe. And I have not heard any complaint whatsoever about wearing mukena in shalah, not from my female family relatives etc. And I have lead shalah so many times for the female members of my family including my mother, and I haven't heard them complained or seen their difficulties re: mukena.
I wished there was a Indonesian muslimah on this forum who can explain it.

If the feet are uncovered, is salah invalid then ?? do men have to cover their feet also ?
As far as I know, the only parts of women that is allowed/should be uncovered during shalah is the face and hands/palms. Feet should be covered.

Men's feet are not part of awrah. In fact, Rasulullah SAW forbid his companions who wore their jubah too long that they covered ankles. As soon as Rasulullah SAW instructed this, the shahaba (ra) all cut off the bottom of their long jubah so they wouldn't cover their ankles.
Men's awrah is between navels to knees.

nature
07-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Actually the bottom of the mukena is very wide, it's almost like a tent.
Your feet don't actually step on it. all muslimah in Indonesia (they should number in around 100 millions) have used it for hundreds of years maybe. And I have not heard any complaint whatsoever about wearing mukena in shalah, not from my female family relatives etc. And I have lead shalah so many times for the female members of my family including my mother, and I haven't heard them complained or seen their difficulties re: mukena. I wished there was a Indonesian muslimah on this forum who can explain it.
I aint complaining, just merely stating its difficult in a skirt i dont wear mukena so i wudnt complain about it wud i ? maybe if men wore skirts, then they'd understand thats it makes salah difficult ? as for the mukena if its differnt from a skirt, then i guess it wud be easier..but like i sed b4 ive never heard this covering feet rule...& i dont know anyone that does cover their feet.

Ramadhan
07-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Here's some basic info on shalah:

http://www.sunna.info/prayer/TheBasi...limsPrayer.php

Also, here's the hadith that I've found about uncovering ankle for men, and covering the feet for women:
Women should have their clothes below their feet, while men have it above their ankles. It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever allows his garment to drag out of pride, Allaah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection.” Umm Salamah said: “What should women do with their hems?” He said: “Lower it a handspan.” She said: “Then their feet will show.” He said: “Let them lower it a cubit, but no more than that.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1731; al-Nasaa’i, 5336; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Ramadhan
07-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I aint complaining, just merely stating its difficult in a skirt i dont wear mukena so i wudnt complain about it wud i ? maybe if men wore skirts, then they'd understand thats it makes salah difficult ? as for the mukena if its differnt from a skirt, then i guess it wud be easier..but like i sed b4 ive never heard this covering feet rule...& i dont know anyone that does cover their feet.

I understand your difficulty about wearing skirt for shalah, sister. That's why I didn't say that it is easy. I only said that I have never heard any Indonesian muslimah complaining about mukena. Surely if it were difficult, Because all Indonesian women are wearing mukena when performing shalah, I would have heard at least once in my life? But I have not.
That's all, I don't claim that is either difficult or easy. I just assumed it is easy since there has been never any complaint.

Another possibility is:
maybe it is actually difficult to pray in mukena in the beginning, but since most indonesian muslimah have prayed in mukena for many years since they were children, then they got used to it? All my nieces started to join shalah jemaah at home when they were 4 or 5 yo. So, a lot of practice there :)

SFatima
07-14-2011, 10:02 AM

Salamo alaikum sister, just came across this thread

Yes it is difficult praying in a long skirt even if it is loose, I understand what you're talking about. Do not worry, as long as you're at home you can wear loose trousers and a long shirt above them, which should atleast reach till the kness and its even better if it covers the knees. And your loose pants/trousers whichever, must be long enough to cover your ankles during the salah, in a way that when you bend and all, it still doesn't expose the ankles, so it should hang below the ankles a few more inches to prevent it from rising when you bend.

There is no compulsion on covering the whole feet during the salah, there is no hadith regarding covering the whole feet during salah. However when women go out, it is recommended to them to wear shoes/socks that cover most of their feet and do not exhibit the beauty of their feet or draw any un-necessary attention. And it is also not allowed for them to show ankles when they are in strange company.

So no ankles in salah and outside.
As for garments you might have to choose or get stitched some for you which make it easier for you to pray, i know its pretty annoying when you trip during your salah when the loose cloth is caught beneath your feet. As long as what you are wearing covers you up , is comfortable for you for salah it is ok. But a way to prevent the cloth becoming caught, is by holding it up a little before you go for sajdah, it doesnt get stuck then, but I'm not too sure if that action is allowed during salah, wonder how the Arab men manage it, they wear long robes too, hope if anyone arab is here he/she can guide us IA : )

peace_maker
07-14-2011, 10:05 AM
^Brother Ramadhan, I've noticed you write 'shalah' everywhere. It's 'salah' and it's even pronounced that way. (in case u dint kno)

ardianto
07-15-2011, 02:23 PM
^Brother Ramadhan, I've noticed you write 'shalah' everywhere. It's 'salah' and it's even pronounced that way. (in case u dint kno)
That's Indonesian custom. In Indonesia we write "sholat/shalat" for "salah".

FYI, in Indonesian language "salah" means "wrong".

Ramadhan
07-15-2011, 03:51 PM
In Bahasa Indonesia, it is written as "shalah", but I know how to pronounce/say it in arabic. Usually we write it as "sholat", but I got criticized once before, that I wrote like the jews. Well, it was the first time I ever knew that jews wrote sholat. and since then, to avoid confusion/fitna etc., I decided to change it to "shalah", because I cannot write it as "salah" as br. ardianto has explained, "salah" in bahasa indonesia mean "wrong" or "mistake" and my brain cannot reconcile "shalah" with "mistake". But it seems I am wrong again. :)
Just because I transliterate differently from arabic to latin does not mean I pronounce/say it wrongly. Remember, Indonesian tongue and our understanding of latin alphabets may be different than yours. For you, "shaad" may be should be written as "sa", for us Indonesians, we write it as "shod". (btw, how do we type arabic in this forum?)
Oh here it is: صلاة

Oh well, it seems I can't even write things right. :)

nature
07-20-2011, 11:54 AM

I understand your difficulty about wearing skirt for shalah, sister. That's why I didn't say that it is easy. I only said that I have never heard any Indonesian muslimah complaining about mukena. Surely if it were difficult, Because all Indonesian women are wearing mukena when performing shalah, I would have heard at least once in my life? But I have not.
That's all, I don't claim that is either difficult or easy. I just assumed it is easy since there has been never any complaint.

Another possibility is:
maybe it is actually difficult to pray in mukena in the beginning, but since most indonesian muslimah have prayed in mukena for many years since they were children, then they got used to it? All my nieces started to join shalah jemaah at home when they were 4 or 5 yo. So, a lot of practice there :)
jazakhallah for the link, in UK, ive never seen anyone wearing a mukena, but i'll look into it at some point, & i guess it takes a lot of practice.

format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
Salamo alaikum sister, just came across this thread Yes it is difficult praying in a long skirt even if it is loose, I understand what you're talking about. Do not worry, as long as you're at home you can wear loose trousers and a long shirt above them, which should atleast reach till the kness and its even better if it covers the knees. And your loose pants/trousers whichever, must be long enough to cover your ankles during the salah, in a way that when you bend and all, it still doesn't expose the ankles, so it should hang below the ankles a few more inches to prevent it from rising when you bend. There is no compulsion on covering the whole feet during the salah, there is no hadith regarding covering the whole feet during salah. However when women go out, it is recommended to them to wear shoes/socks that cover most of their feet and do not exhibit the beauty of their feet or draw any un-necessary attention. And it is also not allowed for them to show ankles when they are in strange company. So no ankles in salah and outside. As for garments you might have to choose or get stitched some for you which make it easier for you to pray, i know its pretty annoying when you trip during your salah when the loose cloth is caught beneath your feet. As long as what you are wearing covers you up , is comfortable for you for salah it is ok. But a way to prevent the cloth becoming caught, is by holding it up a little before you go for sajdah, it doesnt get stuck then, but I'm not too sure if that action is allowed during salah, wonder how the Arab men manage it, they wear long robes too, hope if anyone arab is here he/she can guide us IA : )
Jzk sis, im not sure if holding onto the skirt would be appropriate during salah, so its probably easier to just wear trousers/shirt, but yeh maybe its all just down to practice, and getting loose fitting garments that avoid trips/falls.

Muslim Woman
07-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by AishaRayann
..make sure u have your feet covered during prayer..wear socks..because it is not valid if feet not covered.

do all Madhabs agree on it ?

ardianto
07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam
Shafi'i madhab Ulama in my place never order women to wear socks in salah, and also never forbid women salah without socks.

Muslim Woman
07-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Shafi'i madhab Ulama in my place never order women to wear socks in salah, and also never forbid women salah without socks.
thanks for sharing . I browsed and got it.

Q: Do women have to cover their feet during salah?
A:

According to the Hanafi school it is not obligatory for a woman to cover her feet during Salah as the feet are excluded from being part of the Aura.

Mufti Shafiq Jakhura
Iftaa Department, Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

I concur with the answer:
Mufti Zubair Bayat
Ameer, Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

http://www.darulihsan.com/index.php?...log&Itemid=174

Starrynight
07-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Salaam

thanks for sharing . I browsed and got it.

Q: Do women have to cover their feet during salah?
A:

According to the Hanafi school it is not obligatory for a woman to cover her feet during Salah as the feet are excluded from being part of the Aura.

Mufti Shafiq Jakhura
Iftaa Department, Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

I concur with the answer:
Mufti Zubair Bayat
Ameer, Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

http://www.darulihsan.com/index.php?...log&Itemid=174
What do they mean by Aura?

Just_A_Girl13
07-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Salaam sister,

I believe "aura" means "nakedness." A woman's aura is the parts of her that must be covered, which is the whole body excepting the hands and face.

Peace :)

Muslim Woman
07-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
What do they mean by Aura?

Question

Please explain this Ahadith I found on islam-qa.com The issue of Isbaal applies to women just as much as it applies to men. This is indicated by the Hadith of Ibn 'Umar

who said: "The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: 'Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allah will not look at him.' Umm Salamah said: 'O Messenger of Allah, what should women do with their hems?' He said, 'Let them go down a handspan.'

She asked, 'What if their feet show?' He said, 'Let them lengthen it by a cubit, but no more.' (al-Nisaa'i, Kitaab al-Zeenah, Baab Dhuyool al-Nisaa'). What is the meaning of hems?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

There is difference between al-Isbaal (lowering a dress to be under one's ankle) ruling for a man and a woman. As for man, it is prohibited to let his dress down to exceed his ankles. A woman is obliged to cover her two feet since they are an Aura (a part of body, which should be concealed from seeing by alien men).

Imam Ibn Hajar said: 'As a result, it is desirable for men to shorten their dresses to the mid-part of legs; otherwise, they are allowed to make their dresses not exceed their ankles. As for women, it is desirable for them to wear a dress that is a hand span longer than men; otherwise, they are allowed to have a dress that is one Ziraa (a measure equals 46,2 cm.) longer than men.

As for what you called, "Dhuyool al-Nisaa: trains of women gowns", this word means what a woman whose dress is trailing on the floor.

Al-Fairozabadi in his book al-Qamoos said: 'al-Zail means the lower part and the end of everything, and the part of a dress which one trails along on the floor'.

Allah knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=83793

Ramadhan
07-22-2011, 04:28 AM
I think madhab shafii does.

True, but then again, all indonesian women shalah in mukena which completely covers the feet.

ardianto
07-22-2011, 04:36 AM

I think madhab shafii does.

True, but then again, all indonesian women shalah in mukena which completely covers the feet.
But, we are talking about wearing socks, not only cover the feet. :)

Ramadhan
07-22-2011, 05:00 AM
But, we are talking about wearing socks, not only cover the feet. :)
If you please read again, the discussion was about using socks to cover the feet (when wearing trousers which don't cover the feet), as there are opinions that feet are allowed to not be covered during shalah.
Sisters (aisharayann and muslim woman), please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ramadhan
07-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Jzk sis, im not sure if holding onto the skirt would be appropriate during salah, so its probably easier to just wear trousers/shirt, but yeh maybe its all just down to practice, and getting loose fitting garments that avoid trips/falls.

is there any hadith that says holding onto skirt to avoid tripping when getting up from sujood not allowed?

I'm sure the shahabiyats (ra) did not wear trousers and shirts, did they?

So, if current women are having trouble with skirt, surely the shahabi (ra) also had similar difficutlies?

Muslim Woman
07-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Salaam Sis

its probably easier to just wear trousers/shirt,
women are not allowed to wear men's dress and the vice versa according to a hadith.

Islamic Dress Code for Women in Detail

by: Abdul Rahman Abdullah

Should Not Resemble Men's Clothing

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported that Allah's Messenger (SAW) cursed the man who wears women's clothes, and the woman who wears men's clothes. (Ahmad, Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah)

'Abdullah bin 'Amr bin 'As (RA) said: "I heard Allah's Messenger (SAW) saying: 'He is not one of us who imitates women, nor is she who imitates men.'" (Ahmad)

When a woman wears men's clothes such as pants or jeans, and other men's outfits, she incurs upon herself the curse of Allah (SWT) and the curse of the Messenger (SAW). The curse will affect her husband or her male guardian if he allows her to wear such outfits, because it is his responsibility to make sure she observes the Islamic dress code. Allah (SWT) the Exalted says: "O you who believe, protect yourself and your families from a fire whose fuel are men and stones." (66:6)

And the Prophet (SAW) also said: "Everyone of you is a guardian, and everyone of you is responsible for his subordinates. The man is a guardian of his family, and he is responsible." (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Some may argue that there is no harm in wearing men's clothes by women living in the West because this is prototypical of the Western women. This argument is groundless because Allah (SWT) has decreed that Muhammad (SAW) is the last of the Prophets and Messengers to whom He revealed the Qu'ran, the last of His Books, and He has chosen Islam as the only Deen accepted by Him. Islam, praise to Allah, knows that Muslims will be living in the non-Islamic societies, yet He has decreed that men should look different from women and vice versa.

http://www.brevardmasjid.com/outward...etailed_p.html

nature
07-29-2011, 08:14 AM
is there any hadith that says holding onto skirt to avoid tripping when getting up from sujood not allowed? I'm sure the shahabiyats (ra) did not wear trousers and shirts, did they? So, if current women are having trouble with skirt, surely the shahabi (ra) also had similar difficutlies?
Im not aware of any hadith, but during salah were not supposed to do any uncessesary actions, so if your thinking about your dress constantly then how can you put full concentration in salah ??

women are not allowed to wear men's dress and the vice versa according to a hadith.
Im not talking about dressing like a man ? you can get womens trousers/kurtas/long shirts.

Ramadhan
08-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Im not aware of any hadith, but during salah were not supposed to do any uncessesary actions, so if your thinking about your dress constantly then how can you put full concentration in salah ??
Maybe Im wrong, but I havent heard my family and friends voicing their concerns about wearing something like mukena in shalah, if anything, mukena give them peace of mind during shalah because they are not constantly worried whether they are appropriately covered or whether their dress will make them unable to make movements.
And as I've said before, maybe because indonesian muslimah have always worn mukena while shalah so they've had a lot practice and it doesn't bother them.
Also, holding up a skirt during sujood to standing is not "unnecessary" and it's not constant, you only hold onto it while making transition from sujood to standing. Also, with men who wear pants. we also do it from standing to sujood otherwise we can trip from pants which are not loose enough. And the movement is just natural, we dont even think about itI don't know exactly what types of clothing the shahabiyats (ra) wore during shalah, but it is unlikely a pants and more likely skirt-type.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!