/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women's clothing... what are the rules?

Starrynight
06-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Hey,
So I have been doing my best to work with my wardrobe so I can dress modestly. I was wondering if capri pants and sandals are okay. Also, I have some long sleeved shirts that stop about 3/4ths of the way down my arms. Is this okay?
Thank you!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Starrynight
06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Thank you for the response!
Why are capri pants like leggings? Even if they are loose-fitting?
And are sandals alright?

Sorry I'm still so new to everything. The books I've read contradict one another so it's confusing, haha.

Starrynight
06-28-2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1

This is a link to a picture of capri pants :)
Yes, please anyone who has any insights get back to me about the sandals

piXie
06-29-2011, 07:45 PM
:sl:

sister, just invest in a couple of jilbaabs to wear over your clothes. It will save u the headache. :D

format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
Salaam
I think we should concentrate on the Character of the soul rather than the appearance of the Hijab
aren't we supposed to concentrate on both?

It's about your intentions
It's about your actions too. :ermm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Starrynight
06-29-2011, 11:26 PM
For any other women struggling with finding full length sleeves in this weather I found something that works! I took a pair of black tights and are not see through when stretched. I cut the bottom part of the legs off and snipped off the toe area. Now, I pull those up past my elbows to my wrists and wear my 3/4th length sleeve shirts and it looks like a full length shirt underneath. Yay!

Just_A_Girl13
06-29-2011, 11:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
For any other women struggling with finding full length sleeves in this weather I found something that works! I took a pair of black tights and are not see through when stretched. I cut the bottom part of the legs off and snipped off the toe area. Now, I pull those up past my elbows to my wrists and wear my 3/4th length sleeve shirts and it looks like a full length shirt underneath. Yay!
Jazak Allah Khairan for the tip, sister :) I sometimes have trouble finding shirts to wear with sleeves that are long enough. I will definitely try this.

Starrynight
06-30-2011, 03:26 AM
Yeah no problem :)
I also discovered a good use of a bandanna. I was worried during my prayers that my bangs or hair would show from under my scarf, but I've been tying the bandanna on covering my hair before I put on my scarf so now I can relax and enjoy prayer.

Hamza Asadullah
06-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum, Here are the best ways for you to dress whilst going out of the house:

1. When choosing a hijaab colour then do not wear bright colours or attractive designs. Especially keep away from pink and red as these colours are just screaming "look at me". Wearing bright coloured hijaabs with attractive flowery designs etc goes against the very purpose of hijaab as it attracts even more attention upon oneself. Instead choose darker colours and avoid attractive designs which catch the eye.

2. Some types of clothing even though it may cover the awrah may still attract attention as they may be colourful or have nice designs etc and certain types of clothing may even hug against ones body even though one may not realise it.

Therefore the best thing for a sister to do is to wear the jilbaab (outer garment) on top of her clothing as the jilbaab is a very necessery outer garment which is also ordained in the Qur'an and Sunnah. In this way a sisters definitions will be hidden and there is no risk of her clothes hugging against the body as the jilbaab will prevent this from happening.

Guys should also not wear tight clothing that hugs so much against the body or wear clothes that imitate the non believers.

3. Avoid wearig makeup when going out. Many sisters think it is acceptable to cake on lots of make up when going out but how can it be acceptable when it attracts even more attention to ones face?

If you want to wear kohl on your eyes then also do so with caution. Many sisters do attract designs with the kohl beautiful their eyes making them look larger than they are and this is not right either.

Remember shaythan is always there by ourside and much of the time he can suggest to us to wear things or go out looking in a certain way and us being naive may not even realise that we are attracting attention to ourselves.

When a sister is at home then she can wear what she wants in front of husband and mahrams but precaution should be taken when going out as her beauty is not for the eyes of others but ONLY for her partner.

May Allah make us firm in deen and do everything to obey him and refrain from anything which angers or displeases him. Ameen

And Allah knows best in all matters

May Ayob
06-30-2011, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by member X
aren't we supposed to concentrate on both?
Salaam
May be you didn't understand what i was trying to say:
I was saying that one shouldn't be worrying about the fashion trends and wearing Hijab in a stylish way
It has to observe modesty , you don't have to look like Muslim Model

format_quote Originally Posted by member X
It's about your actions too
True, But Hijab without good intentions doesn't really have a benefit , if someone wears the Hijab to get attention or to be praised, or because they think it makes them look prettier then to me I don't think it has benefit.

Also , You can't wear the Hijab and not behave modestly with the opposite gender.

Salaam

peace_maker
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I took a pair of black tights and are not see through when stretched. I cut the bottom part of the legs off and snipped off the toe area. Now, I pull those up past my elbows to my wrists and wear my 3/4th length sleeve shirts and it looks like a full length shirt underneath. Yay!
That's a great idea. It could also make a perfect pair of wrist bands. 2 in 1 purpose. :)

I also discovered a good use of a bandanna. I was worried during my prayers that my bangs or hair would show from under my scarf, but I've been tying the bandanna on covering my hair before I put on my scarf so now I can relax and enjoy prayer.
Feels so good to hear that you are getting adjusted pretty well.
May Allah make things easy for you.

Starrynight
07-03-2011, 04:20 PM
^ That was a really well put post. As far as how a women is supposed to act when wearing hijab this is my perception (please correct me if I'm wrong). The woman should have good manners, be polite and kind. The modest part of it is drawing attention to herself if she is speaking up in class or about what is right and not if she wants to be flirty or be the center of attention at a party or get together. Is that right or did I mistake some things?

peace_maker
07-03-2011, 08:44 PM
^For me, that's exactly right. You are on the right track, mashaallah. :)

AishaRayann
07-11-2011, 06:03 AM
As salamu alaikum sister,
It's not permissable to wear clothing that doesn't cover the body minus hands and face. Capris do not cover the whole leg..you shouldnt wear sandals unless you are wearing a long skirt that cover your whole feet or a dress or abaya that do..You cannot wear 3/4 length shirts..unless u wear arm sleeves to cover them. http://middleeasternmall.com ..you can shop at http://eastessence.com/ for clothing..they have modest long skirts that are pretty and tunic tops..a skirt like this is nice they have more than one color http://www.eastessence.com/products/...kirt-6-11.html and a tunic top like this http://www.eastessence.com/products/Kurti-105-17.html but not a tunic flashy like this that draw attention to the bust http://www.eastessence.com/products/...ti-599-17.html and wear with hijab like http://www.middleeasternmall.com/cot...2935.html...or any other color that not flashy..colors like brown,black,navy,white,hunter green (dark green),dark teal,dark purple..if u want to do lighter color for spring/summer..maybe a light yellow color,beige,very very light purple colored..just dont do bright or flashy colors..like red,orange,bright yellow,fushia, and dont wear flashy hijab like example http://www.middleeasternmall.com/fas...ts-p-3619.html it draws too much attention.

you must know that anytime you wear hijab..you must act accordingly to it..be kind,be friendly,if u hear negative comment..ignore..but if someone have question..answer..it give u good chance to educate..if you don't know the answer tell them you don't know that you're new..and still learning..don't just say anything for the sake of saying something..everything you do and say and think..will follow u..thats life.

do not smoke if you are a smoker in hijab..looks bad..people of all kind will look down on you and get wrong impression of islam.

do not curse in hijab..or speak in any negative way..which we all should not do at all anyways.

makeup is fine..as long as it is modest..like fondation..but please not carmine is in alot of fondations..carmine/red lake 40,red dye 40,go to wikipedia and type carmine it give u all its names... is made with pork greese in it..your skin is an organ..it absorbs it..just as it would if it were in your mouth..how u think medicine creams work..they enter the skin and then into the blood stream.

Vegan or Mineral makeup is usually the way to go..but not all are carmine free.

you have to read the labels.and indgredents.

I think the look for your transition..should be like the example i showed you..maybe others agree..personally..i wore "normal" or "regualar" clothes for a while..then i moved on to wearing abaya..i love my abayas..if u order ne thing from eastessence order length 2 inches longer than normal..and 1 size up usually..i wear hijab sometimes..sometimes i wear khimar..i prefer khimar..im recently fixing to own my first niqab..once it gets shipped from ebay to my home..im only wear them around the mosque and around other sisters..because my family wont walk with me if i wore..they actually would kill me if they knew i ordered lol..too bad!!! and its not safe here to wear while alone here where i live. so it wont be an everyday thing for me. but insha allah when i marry i will move to more tolerate state above me. :)

AishaRayann
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
As salamu alaikum sis,

I almost forgot to mention that..if you do wear light makeup..fondation..powder whatever..you have to make sure u wash it all off before salaat or your wudu will be invalid..therefore making your salaat invalid. only time you dont have to wash the makeup off during the day is when ur on your menses and not praying..because you dont pray if u have menses

nature
07-13-2011, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
Wearing sandals is okay. If we can keep our faces open, what's wrong with feet? :hmm:
But it is very important to wear quite sandals. Make sure it doesn't make noise while walking. I think there's also some hadeeth about this. ^o)

can you post the hadith ? im still confused about this sandal issue.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/153367/feet

this states a woman cant wear open shoes/sandals and feet must be covered ?

:wa:

Hamza Asadullah
07-14-2011, 02:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature

can you post the hadith ? im still confused about this sandal issue.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/153367/feet

this states a woman cant wear open shoes/sandals and feet must be covered ?

:wa:
Asalaamu Alaikum, Jazkallahu khayr for the question. Your answer:

Scholars have differed regarding the feet of the woman : are they`awrah in salah, or outside salah, or both or neither? There are differences among the Hanafis themselves, and there exist three authentic opinions in the madhhab :

1) That the feet are nakedness

This is based on the direct implication of the hadith,

" When a girl reaches puberty, it is not appropriate that any of her should be seen, excepting her face, and her hands upto the wrists." [Narrated by Abu Dawud; It is a mursal narration at the level of hasan.]

It is also strengthened by the narration that the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) was asked, when he mentioned the prohibition of dragging the lower garment, about what women should do with the ends of their garments. He said, ' They should extend them a span.' Umm Salamah said, 'Then, their feet will be uncovered!' He said, ' Then, they should extend them a cubit, not exceeding that.' [Narrated by : Tirmidhi , who graded it as hasan sahih, Nasa'i and Abu Dawud, with the words, "then she will be uncovered."]

This opinion was presented as the madhhab of Abu Hanifah by al-Quduri, and is also espoused by al-Jassas in Ahkam al-Qur'an and by Qadi-Khan. Similarly, in Sharh al-Aqta` , it is stated, "The authentic [opinion] is that it is `awrah, from the apparent [implication] of the narration." [See al-Bunayah , vol. II, p. 63] Of the latter Hanafi scholars, al-Ghunaymi has inclined towards this view in al-Lubab . The feet are also considered nakedness by Imams Malik, al-Shafi`i and Ahmad ibn Hanbal.

2) That they are not nakedness

The argument for this is based on two points:

i) If the establishment of the nakedness is by the saying of Allah, the Exalted, (translated), "And let them not show their beauty, except that of it which is apparent," then the foot is not customarily a location of beauty (it may be for a minority, but regulations are set according to the general rule), and thus Allah, the Exalted, has said, (translated), "And let them not strike their feet in order to make known that adornment which they are hiding," i.e. the ringing of anklets, and this conveys that the feet themselves are of the beauty which is apparent. This is fortified by the fact that the Mother of the Believers, `A'ishah, said, commenting on the verse, (translated), "And let them not show their beauty except that of it which is apparent", "the toe-ring, a silver ring which is [placed] on the toes." [Narrated by Ibn Abi Hatim, as quoted by Ibn Taymiyyah in Hijab al-Mar'ah , p. 17.]

ii) If the establishment is by the Prophet's saying, "The woman is to be covered," along with it being established that some of her body is excluded due to hardship of [avoiding] exposure, then, by analogy, it should necessitate that the feet also be excluded, due to the corroboration of hardship. This is because she would be put to hardship by her foot showing when she walked barefooted or with shoes, for she may not always find khuffs or socks with which to cover them. Along with this, desire is not aroused by looking at the foot such as is aroused by looking at the face, and so if the face is not `awrah, in spite of the plentiful arousal of desire, then the foot is more appropriate to remain uncovered in view of the hardship associated with covering it. [See Fath al-Qadir : al-Hidayah with its commentaries, vol. I, p.225, and al-Bunayah , vol. II, p.63.] This opinion has been reported by al-Hasan [ibn Ziyad al-Lu'lu'i] from Abu Hanifah. Al-Marghinani graded it as the more authentic opinion in al-Hidayah , and Ibn al-Humam and al-`Ayni acknowledged this in their commentaries thereof. This view has been presented as the madhhab position by later texts, such as Nur al-Idah and al-Durr al-Mukhtar . Al-Thanawi concluded in I`la al-Sunan that it is sounder from the point of rationale.

3) That they are nakedness outside salah, but not in salah.

Ibn `Abidin reported this as one of the authentic views in Radd al-Muhtar .

It may be noted that Hafiz Ibn Taymiyyah, the Hanbali, also favored this opinion. He says,

"And similar [is the case with] the foot. It is permissible for her to show it [in salah] according to Abu Hanifah, and [this] is the stronger [position], for `A'ishah considered it of the apparent beauty. . . . . So, this is an evidence that women used to show their feet initially, just as they used to show their faces and hands . . . . for they used not to walk in khuffs or shoes. [Moreover], to cover these in [salah] poses a great hardship, and Umm Salamah said, 'A woman should pray in an ample garment which covers the tops of her feet,' and so when she makes sajdah, the bottoms of her feet may show." [ Hijab al-Mara'ah wa-Libasuha fi al-Salah , pp. 17-18]

Some scholars opined that the feet are not nakedness in that she is not required to cover them, but they are nakedness for the purposes of looking and touching, i.e. it is not permissible for stranger men to look at or touch her feet.

In conclusion, it is preferable and more precautionary to cover the feet. However, due to the existence of scholarly disagreement on some details, one who follows another opinion in good conscience should not be criticized.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

Source: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...15224&CATE=239

Insaanah
07-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Women's clothing... what are the rules?
It is interesting that we have a new sister (welcome to Islam, sister) asking the Islamic ruling on something, and she is being told various things; this is fine to wear, that's fine to wear, but not a single ayah of Qur'an or hadeeth has been quoted to support what has been said (apart from the feet issue above).

Forum Rule 18:

"18. Do not say "Islam says X" unless your position is based upon sound evidence - which means the Qur'an and the Sunnah. Always cite your sources. If quoting the Qur'an, give soorah (chapter) and ayah (verse) number. For ahadeeth, you must the name of the collection, volume/book number and hadeeth number. Unless you quoting from an agreed-upon authenthic collection (i.e. Bukharee, Muslim) you must also provide authenthic information."
I presume the question is regarding clothing to be worn outside.

This is what the Qur'an says:

Pickthall
O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.

Yusuf Ali
O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
(Translations of Qur'an 33:59)

The Arabic word used in the Qur'an is jalaabeeb, which is plural of jilbaab.

This ayah states a command for Muslim women to wear a garment which Allah SWT has called "jilbab".

The definitive dictionary of classical Arabic, Lisan al-Arab by ibn al-Mandhur, provides the following definition, "The jilbab is the outergarment, mantle, or cloak. It is derived from the word tajalbaba, which means to clothe. Jilbab is the outer sheet or covering which a woman wraps around her on top of her garments..

The dictionary Al-Qamus al-Muhit by Abu Tahir al-Fayruzabadi provides the definition, "The jilbab...is that which conceals the clothes like a cover"

The dictionary Al-Sihah by Jawhari provides the definition, "The jilbab is the cover and some say it is a sheet. Jilbab has been mentioned in the hadiths with the meaning of sheet, which the woman wrapped over her clothes"

At the time of the Prophet :saws: some of the women remained in seclusion and never went out so that they did not own the garment called "jilbab". The hadiths record that the Prophet :saws: commanded the women to come out for the Eid gathering, and what he said about the issue of the jilbab:

Sahih Bukhari Book 8 #347. Narrated Umm Atiyya: We were ordered to bring out our menstruating women and screened women to the religious gatherings and invocation of the Muslims on the two Eid festivals. These menstruating women were to keep away from the musalla. A woman asked, "O Messenger of Allah! What about one who does not have a jilbab?". He said, "Let her borrow the jilbab of her companion".

In other words, it is that important to wear the jilbaab. He did not tell them that it was fine for them to come out in general loose clothing or conservative clothing or loose top and long skirt, or loose trousers etc. They had to cover their clothes with a jilbaab when going out.

If it were allowed for a sister to go outdoors without the jilbaab, why didn't the Prophet :saws: allow the women to do this? But instead, he told them that they must find a jilbaab to wear, even if they had to borrow one from a friend.

The only exemption from wearing jilbaab is elderly women who have no hope of marriage, but even then, it's better if they refrain:

Sahih International
And women of post-menstrual age who have no desire for marriage - there is no blame upon them for putting aside their outer garments [but] not displaying adornment. But to modestly refrain [from that] is better for them. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing. (Qur'an 24:60)

The jilbaab has different forms around the world, in some places it is a large loose sheet wrapped from the head over the clothes going upto the feet, and in some places it is a loose full length overcoat, with scarf on top, and in some places it's a one piece garment. There may be other ones too that I'm not aware of.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!