/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my faith

Starrynight
07-07-2011, 05:02 AM
I need advice on refueling my iman (sp?).
I was really happy after taking my Shahada. I prayed on time everyday, and still do. My family reacted well, or not at all. I feel very blessed. One area though I think I did wrong was trying to jump in too quickly. I tried to be the perfect Muslim and overwhelmed myself. I always felt that if I wasn't perfect people wouldn't love me. I felt this about God too. I thought if I wasn't perfect, God wouldn't want me... God wouldn't love me. In my mind, I know this is crazy. God loves us all. Why else give us life and provide for us? But in my heart this fear I've carried my whole life when it comes to people is impacting my relationship with God. I have backed off and am starting smaller. I pray, try to slowly stop bad habits, read the Qur'an and Sunnah's during the day, and also take time to relax away from Islam (perusing old hobbies like reading). But lately, my prayers have felt routine, like something I just do.
I want to become closer with God. I have prayed for guidance. Inshallah my iman will be strong again soon.
If anyone knows what I'm going through or has kind advice that would be really helpful.
Thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Riana17
07-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Salam dear sister
Oh it is normal, when we are newly converts, everything seems exciting and we want Allah to be so pleased with us.

If you continue that you are gonna be bored, so I guess you should take one step at a time, the main thing you hve to do the obligations like praying 5times daily, avoid major sin, the Holy Quran was not send down to our Prophet (pbuh) it was sent one at a time and our Prophet practise them before another one comes
now and for me I am starting to learn Arabic language although it is hard, i am studying so i can have a better focus or kushoo in praying.

If you continue that people around will think we Muslims are weirdos lool and you will not enjoy our religion, dont be offended pls

Islam is perfect religion but we are not

You know from not praying, it wasnt easy to pray 5times daily but I am forcing, now only after 1year i realized the importance of praying or FAJR and really when I miss it i would scream and so mad,, alhamdollelah i dont miss much, I am a big joker earlier but I tried to reduce slowly since becoming a MUSLIM but when it is our nature, we cant totally change it or we wouldnt be true to ourselves, so I still joke but I avoid offending or XXX joke or stuff like that.

I like this hadith: sharing to you

It is not righteousness that you turn your faces towards the East and the West, but righteousness is this that one should believe in Allah and the last day and the angels and the Book and the prophets, and give away wealth out of love for Him to the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and the beggars and for (the emancipation of) the captives, and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate; and the performers of their promise when they make a promise, and the patient in distress and affliction and in time of conflicts-- these are they who are true (to themselves) and these are they who guard (against evil).

Source: The Holy Quran Chapter2 ( Al Baqra) Verse 177

Who Am I?
07-07-2011, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starrynight
I was really happy after taking my Shahada. I prayed on time everyday, and still do. My family reacted well, or not at all. I feel very blessed. One area though I think I did wrong was trying to jump in too quickly. I tried to be the perfect Muslim and overwhelmed myself. I always felt that if I wasn't perfect people wouldn't love me. I felt this about God too. I thought if I wasn't perfect, God wouldn't want me... God wouldn't love me. In my mind, I know this is crazy. God loves us all. Why else give us life and provide for us? But in my heart this fear I've carried my whole life when it comes to people is impacting my relationship with God. I have backed off and am starting smaller. I pray, try to slowly stop bad habits, read the Qur'an and Sunnah's during the day, and also take time to relax away from Islam (perusing old hobbies like reading). But lately, my prayers have felt routine, like something I just do.
I want to become closer with God. I have prayed for guidance. Inshallah my iman will be strong again soon.
If anyone knows what I'm going through or has kind advice that would be really helpful.
Thank you
I have the same problem, sister. I wanted to wait until I took my shahada so that I could learn more about Islam but I already knew I wanted to, so I figured I might as well go ahead and do it. Now it's been a month since I took shahada and I find myself getting a little burnt out on trying to learn as much as I can about Islam. I may take a break from learning for a week or two to let my mind rest and renew myself.

I still try to pray every day 5 times a day, but I do confess to missing a prayer now and then. I try to make them up whenever I can. I pray for guidance in my life as well. I took this first step and I still feel it was the right choice, but now I kind of feel like my life is stalling out again and I'm back to going in circles.

IAmZamzam
07-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Peaks and troughs are inevitable in religion as in anything in life. I thought Starrynight had already agreed to slow down? If you want to feel a connection with God and His religion more, admire something beautiful like a golden-pink sunset.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
07-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Starrynight;

I believe that your iman is much stronger than you give yourself credit for, and God will never place a burden on any of us that is more than we can carry.

Blessings

Eric

Perseveranze
07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Well, Sahaba's were "reverts", they weren't used to praying 5 times a day, they weren't used to not consuming drugs/alcohol (through steps they eventually stopped). No one's perfect, Islam understands this, don't put yourself under any kind of pressure or anything.

Do things one at a time, learn prayer, and eventually you will get it, Alhamdullillah. Then move on to the next thing etc. Trying to do everything from the get go is never going to work, just relax.

May Ayob
07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Salaam
I tried to be the perfect Muslim and overwhelmed myself. I always felt that if I wasn't perfect people wouldn't love me. I felt this about God too. I thought if I wasn't perfect, God wouldn't want me... God wouldn't love me. In my mind, I know this is crazy. God loves us all. Why else give us life and provide for us?
I will try to share you some of my understandings from your post Insha'Allah I understand you correctly this time , I also hope what I will say make some sense:

- I would first like to commend the fact that you are striving to be perfect , but know that striving to be perfect is useless. This and I must say your words indicate that you must have a strong sense of Integrity Masha'Allah
- Did you over-whelm yourself? I mean did you work more than your capacity? Sometimes Moderation is the best because it is what keeps us consistent in our deeds even if they are small.
- I must also say that in Islam pleasing people or doing good for the sake of pleasing people is Forbidden and it is counted as Riyaa(show off) it is no good beleive me , doing one sincere deed in private between you and God is much better than doing something that is not sincere and it is important to know that all our deeds will not be accepted if we don't do them for the sake of God. I think you have to become more independant you judge your acts by your conscience and your heart and not what people think about you , To rely on people's opinions and how they feel about you instead of Allah has more harm than benefit.

The Problem is ( from my experience and my observation)
Is that when one experiences Islam in their heart they feel like they live in seperate world, some have described it as if they are butterflies flying over a fiel of fresh flowers.. It's great you feel happy and nothing can break you down but soon all these feelings wear down and you feel confused.
The wisdom in this and I maybe wrong is that maybe God is telling you that Faith cannot be acheived without effort, He gave you what it feels like to be a beleiver but now you have to acheive it with you sincere deeds and your effort.
Maybe this verse will give you a better understanding:

214." Or think you that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty and ailments and were so shaken that even the Messenger and those who believed along with him said, "When (will come) the Help of Allâh?" Yes! Certainly, the Help of Allâh is near!"

See Faith is a word of Action these beautiful feelings have no value if they are not put into action and this is why we must strive as everything has a cost.
Here is another Hadeeth:
"We were in the company of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and he delivered to us a sermon and made a mention of Hell-Fire. Then I came to my house and began to laugh with my children and sport with my wife. (Hanzala) further reported: I went out and met Abu Bakr and made a mention of that to him. Thereupon he said: I have done the same as you have mentioned. So we went to see Allah's Messenger (way peace be upon him) and said to him: Allah's Messenger, Hanzala has turned to he a hypocrite. And he (the Holy Prophet) said Show respite. And then I narrated to him the story, and Abu Bakr said: I have done the same as he has done. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: Hanzala, there is a time for worldly affairs and a time for (worship and devotion), and if your state of mind is always the same as it is at the time of remembrance of Allah, the Angels would shake hands with you and would greet you on the path by saying: As-Salamu-Alaikum."

Also, God does not want us to seclude our selves from our Environment the most beloved deeds to God is in serving His creation.This is something Normal the Prophet's best companion and all of the companions of the Prophet have went through this increase you deeds in sincerity Pray for others and Concentrate on Purifying your heart and Character, Insha'Allah one day you will realize how this is a blessing from Allah that should make you have a big smile on you face.
I say this out of my experience and observation nothing more I hope it helps , I also hope you get better replies
Salaam

Just_A_Girl13
07-07-2011, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
- I must also say that in Islam pleasing people or doing good for the sake of pleasing people is Forbidden and it is counted as Riyaa(show off) it is no good beleive me , doing one sincere deed in private between you and God is much better than doing something that is not sincere and it is important to know that all our deeds will not be accepted if we don't do them for the sake of God.
Salaam sister,

I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean trying to please people is bad? I once bought a homeless man a pizza because he looked so hungry and destitute and I was genuinely concerned about him. Should I not do that again? Thank you for clarifying.

Peace be with you

Starrynight
07-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Salaam

I will try to share you some of my understandings from your post Insha'Allah I understand you correctly this time , I also hope what I will say make some sense:

- I would first like to commend the fact that you are striving to be perfect , but know that striving to be perfect is useless. This and I must say your words indicate that you must have a strong sense of Integrity Masha'Allah
- Did you over-whelm yourself? I mean did you work more than your capacity? Sometimes Moderation is the best because it is what keeps us consistent in our deeds even if they are small.
- I must also say that in Islam pleasing people or doing good for the sake of pleasing people is Forbidden and it is counted as Riyaa(show off) it is no good beleive me , doing one sincere deed in private between you and God is much better than doing something that is not sincere and it is important to know that all our deeds will not be accepted if we don't do them for the sake of God. I think you have to become more independant you judge your acts by your conscience and your heart and not what people think about you , To rely on people's opinions and how they feel about you instead of Allah has more harm than benefit.

The Problem is ( from my experience and my observation)
Is that when one experiences Islam in their heart they feel like they live in seperate world, some have described it as if they are butterflies flying over a fiel of fresh flowers.. It's great you feel happy and nothing can break you down but soon all these feelings wear down and you feel confused.
The wisdom in this and I maybe wrong is that maybe God is telling you that Faith cannot be acheived without effort, He gave you what it feels like to be a beleiver but now you have to acheive it with you sincere deeds and your effort.
Maybe this verse will give you a better understanding:

214." Or think you that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty and ailments and were so shaken that even the Messenger and those who believed along with him said, "When (will come) the Help of Allâh?" Yes! Certainly, the Help of Allâh is near!"

See Faith is a word of Action these beautiful feelings have no value if they are not put into action and this is why we must strive as everything has a cost.
Here is another Hadeeth:
"We were in the company of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and he delivered to us a sermon and made a mention of Hell-Fire. Then I came to my house and began to laugh with my children and sport with my wife. (Hanzala) further reported: I went out and met Abu Bakr and made a mention of that to him. Thereupon he said: I have done the same as you have mentioned. So we went to see Allah's Messenger (way peace be upon him) and said to him: Allah's Messenger, Hanzala has turned to he a hypocrite. And he (the Holy Prophet) said Show respite. And then I narrated to him the story, and Abu Bakr said: I have done the same as he has done. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: Hanzala, there is a time for worldly affairs and a time for (worship and devotion), and if your state of mind is always the same as it is at the time of remembrance of Allah, the Angels would shake hands with you and would greet you on the path by saying: As-Salamu-Alaikum."

Also, God does not want us to seclude our selves from our Environment the most beloved deeds to God is in serving His creation.This is something Normal the Prophet's best companion and all of the companions of the Prophet have went through this increase you deeds in sincerity Pray for others and Concentrate on Purifying your heart and Character, Insha'Allah one day you will realize how this is a blessing from Allah that should make you have a big smile on you face.
I say this out of my experience and observation nothing more I hope it helps , I also hope you get better replies
Salaam
Thank you for your response. I wanted to clarify (perhaps I didn't make sense the first time). I'm not trying to please people anymore. Since my Shahada I have been trying to please God. But because of my experiences with people, I have felt God would not love me if I wasn't perfect. Does that make more sense?

Starrynight
07-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Your encouragement means a lot to me

Hamza Asadullah
07-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Thank you
Asalaamu Alaikum, dear sister you are feeling what many of us feel and that is our imaan (faith) going up and down like a yoyo. Imaan can leave the body as quick as it can enter it. The only way to keep our imaan topped up all of the time is to do good actions to please Allah and refrain from anything which angers or displeases him.

You should also know that Allah created us imperfect so he does not expect perfection from us but he does expect us to try our best. That is all he wants from you. He knows we will fall into error but that is why he emphasised for us to repent sincerely to him as much as possible. Allah loves repentance and his slave turning to him in the latter portions of the night when others are asleep.

So you must get it out of your head that Gods expects perfection for he expects you and me and all of us to truly try our best for that is all we can do. Surely it is your enemy Satan who is trying to make you think this way.

Satan tries many different tactics to try and deter us from the straight path. But you must reject him and instill in your mind that Allah knows you are not perfect and he does not expect perfection from you but he expects you to try your utmost to please him and refrain from anything which angers or displeases him. He knows you will err and fall into error.

He knows you will fall from the hurdles but everytime you err or fall into error then turn to Allah in repentance and if you can then cry unto him and beg of him for mercy. He truly loves his devoted slaves turning to him in humbleness and meekness in order to beg of his mercy. He is most generous and loves to give and believe me he would love to give us SO much for our devotion to him.

Surely he is giving us MUCH more than we can ever do in return. All we have to do is to devote our short lives of upto 60-70 years and in return we get ETERNITY of whatever we want. Is that a fair comparison? Certainly not. We are getting FAR too much in return for giving so little.

So my sister know that our faith will go up and down but the best way to keep it up is by good actions and trying to please Allah. Also spend time with good and pious sisters. Always read up on and listen to lectures about time, death and the hereafter for death is a destroyer of pleasures and wakes us up into reality when we get too consumed in this world of distractions.

How limited is our life and how can we really be sure that we will live until tomorrow. We have a 50% chance of dying at any moment and 50% is a huge chance of dying yet we live everyday like we will live forever in this world but we are asleep and so heedless. We do so much for this world and gain wealth, propertys and various other investments but if we die the next day then will this wealth and assets accompany us? The ONLY thing that will come with us is our good deeds. Our good deeds will be our companions in the grave and in the hereafter because they will be there for us when we REALLY need them the most, whereas what we gained in this world will leave us at the point of death.

So is it wise to spend our whole lives working for this world in expense of the next? Are we going to be here for that long that we should do so much for this world and neglect our final destination?

The succession of the night and day teach us an important lesson about this life; what goes will never come back again. This lesson is only understood by the wise people and leads them to invest all of their time in useful things as they realise that these times will never come back again. Once each second, minute, hour and day is gone it will NEVER come back. Yet our seconds go by and we do not even bother to ensure we make the best of how we spend them.

Rasulallah (Salallahu Alaihi Wasallam) urged us to use our time in a useful way when he said: “Grab five things before five others: your youth before your old age, your health before your illness, your wealth before your poverty, your leisure before your work, and your life before your death.” (Al-Hakim)

He also indicated that we are to be asked about these times and how we invested them in the judgment day. Rasulallah (Salallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “A servants two feet will not move on the Day of Judgement until he is questioned about four (things): His youth, how he spent it, his knowledge, how he acted upon it, his wealth, how he earned it and how he spent it and his body, how he used/wasted it.” ( Al-Tirmidhi)

When he is dying he will wish that he is given another chance or extension to his life so that he may do good as Allah says:

In Falsehood will they be Until, when death comes to one of them, he says: “O my Lord! send me back (to life),- In order that I may work righteousness in the things I neglected.” By no means! It is but a word he says. Before them is a Partition till the Day they are raised up. (23:99-100)

The key to success in this life and the next is making the hereafter the MOST important thing to us and making it our main focus. If we constantly keep the hereafter as our main focus everyday of our lives and strive as much as we can everyday to ensure that each second is spent on building up our hereafter then we will not go wrong inshallah.

Ibn Masood said: “I have never regretted anything as a day spent of my life without doing good deeds.”

How many days have we had like this where we have completely wasted them? On the day of judgement we would want to go back so that we could gain the HUGE rewards that are available just for saying Subhanallah!

Bilal ibn ass’d once said: if we are asked: ‘‘do you want to die?’’, we answer ‘‘No’’; and if we are asked ‘‘why?’’ we reply ‘‘in order to repent ad do good deeds’’. However if it’s said to us ‘‘Ok then do good deeds’’ we say: ‘‘Yes I will do’’; we keep working for this life everyday and postponing working for the hereafter.

We CANNOT afford to waste a single second in this life wasting it on that which will give us no benefit in this world or the next. Once our focus becomes the hereafter then NOTHING else will matter. Even things that we do in this world like work, study, look after and provide for family, parents, wife children etc will be like worship for us because we will do them for the pleasure of Allah. Even going to the toilet can be a worship if done in accordance with the Sunnah. Our WHOLE life from sleeping, eating, going to sleep and even breathing can become reward and worship with the right intentions so let us not waste a second more.

In the hereafter, when people are rewarded according to their deeds in this life, he wishes if he can go back to this life so he can do good deeds as he has experienced the hardness of punishment. Allah says:

They will say: “Our Lord! Twice hast Thou made us without life, and twice hast Thou given us Life! Now have we recognized our sins: Is there any way out (of this)?” (40:11)

Qatadah said regarding the last verse: By Allah, they don’t wish to go back to their families or clans, to get more of the pleasure of life, or to spend and fulfill their desires. Rather, they wished to return in order to perform and do acts of obedience to Allah - the Almighty -; God have mercy on those who do, in this life, the same good deeds and act of obedience that the unbeliever will wish to do when they meet the punishment in the Judgment Day.

Allah Also says:

But warn them of the Day of Distress, when the matter will be determined: for (behold,) they are negligent and they do not believe! (19:39)

Ibn Kathir provided the following translation for the latter verse:

(And warn them of the Day of grief and regrets) warn the creation of the Day of Distress.

(When the case has been decided) when the people of Paradise and the people of Hell will be sorted out, and everyone will reach his final abode which he was destined to remain in forever.

(While (now) they are) today, in the present life of this world.

(In a state of carelessness) with the warning of the Day of grief and regret, they are heedless.

(And they believe not) meaning they do not believe that it is true.

Imam Ahmad narrted that Abu Sa`id said that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When the people of Paradise enter Paradise and the people of the Hellfire enter the Hellfire, death will be brought in the form of a handsome ram and it will be placed between Paradise and the Hellfire.” Then, it will be said, “O people of Paradise, do you know what this is?” Then, they will turn their gazes and look, and they will say, “Yes, this is death.”' Then, it will be said, “O people of the Hellfire, do you know what this is?”' Then, they will turn their gazes and look, and they will say, “Yes, this is death.” Then, the order will be given for it to be slaughtered and it will be said, “O people of Paradise, eternity and no more death, O people of Hellfire, eternity and no more death.” Then the Messenger of Allah recited the previous Ayah; then, the Messenger of Allah made a gesture with his hand and said: “The people of this life are in the state of heedlessness of this life.”

So we must get ourselves out of this heedless state that we are in and let us make our ONLY focus the hereafter so that EVERYTHING we do we do to please Allah. Before we do any action we should just stop and think to ourselves "Is this action going to be of any benefit to me in the hereafter"? If it is not then let us do that which WILL be of benefit to us. This brief moment of reflection will help us throughout our lives because it will prevent us from wasting our precious time and it will enable us to spend our precious seconds pleasing Allah and doing good deeds.

A clever and intelligent person realises that they have such limited time in this world and therefore each second should be spent on doing that which will benefit them in the long term as oppose to in the short term. Short term gains are what we do for this world and long term gains are what we do for the hereafter. Now if we spend our lives living for this world then we will have gains which are so short lived and after we die what will we have for eternity? Whereas if we lived this life to a minimum and spent our entire lives working for the hereafter then we will benefit FOREVER!

This world is like a dream that will end at any moment and in the next world we will wake up from this dream and that is when reality will hit us but by then it will be too late to do anything about it. Our chance to act is NOW! Therefore we CANNOT waste a second more.

You should certainly take things slower and gradually build up at a speed that you can manage without overwhelming yourself. Allah has never enjoined upon us that we should over burden ourselves by doing too much that we cannot handle.

Try to spend time learning about Islam and implementing what wyou learn into your daily life as well as conveying it to others so that they may benefit to.

We should always enjoin good and forbid evil every opportunity we get and give as much dawah as we can inviting people to the way of Allah.

As mentioned above we must always keep good and pious company and disregard those who do evil as bad company is like poison for us. Let us sit with the scholars and learned people and those who remember Allah.

Let us gradually increase in our recitation of the Qur'an as every letter is so much rewards that we cannot imagine. We will be raised among the levels of Paradise until we stopped reciting the Qur'an in this world. So let us keep reciting so that we can be raised to the highest stages of Paradise. Let us also learn the meanings of what we are reading so that we can understand what Allah is telling us and so that we can implement what Allah is telling us in the Qur'an into our daily lives.

Let us also gradually try to improve our character and manners as improing oneself is a lifetime process but we should start on the major things first like stopping backbiting, swearing bad language etc and whatever we need to change about ourselves for the better then let us constantly work on these things all of the time.

Abu Darda (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "Nothing will be heavier on the Day of Resurrection in the Scale of the believer than good manners. Allah hates one who utters foul or coarse language.''

We should spend in the way of Allah as much as we can particularly in the month of mercy and generosity- Ramadan - for we will regret the money we wasted and did not spend in the way of Allah.

Let us gradually increase ourselves in prayer and prostrations particularly the nafil prayers (voluntary prayers) because the more we prostrate to Allah in the form of prayer then the closer we will get to Allah and the higher our ranks will be in the hereafter.

We should always ask of Allah in dua as much as possible. We should know that dua is the weapon of the believer and this weapon should be used as much as possible for all of our duas that are not answered in this world will be stored for us in the hereafter and when we see the reward of those duas we thought were not accepted then we will wish that NONE of our dua's were ever accepted just so that we can gain these HUGE rewards.

We should be of the appreciative and thankful and always thank Allah for everything he has given us because he has done so many favours for us that we can never imagine. Allah gives more to the thankful and increases them in blessings.

-Allah likes those who are thankful [39:7]

-Allah rewards those who are thankful [3:144]

-Allah gives more benefits and blessings to those who are thankful [14:7]

-Allah protects those from harm who render Him thankfulness [54:34-35]

Also let us be patient through trials, hardships and adversities because they will help rid us of sin and it may be that a person who went through much trials in the world would face Allah with little or no sin and imagine how lucky that person would be on a day when we will tremble for the sins we committed in the world. What a terrible day that will be.

So we should spend our time in repentance and have hope in the mercy of Allah and at the same time have fear that our repentance and deeds won't be accepted. Hope and fear should always be balanced and one should not have too much hope and one should not have too much fear but strike a balance between the two.

Let us gradually increase our remembrance of Allah and keep our tongues moist with his glorification of Allah, How easy is it for us to utter useless words but how much will we regret when we realise that instead of all the useless talk we did in the world we we could have glorified Allah and even one glorification of Allah like Subhanallah and La ilaha ilallah gains one rewards one cannot imagine. It is just that in this world we cannot see these rewards but when we will see the rewards for ourselves on the day of judgement then we will say "Woe to me i wasted my life in useless talk when i could have been glorifying and remembering Allah."

Hadhrat Mu'az [RA] narrated Rasulallah (sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The Inhabitants of Paradise will not be grief stricken or sorrowful about anything they did in the life of the world except for the time they spent without being in the remembrance of Allah” (Tabaraani)

We can remember Allah where ever we are no matter what we are doing and this is the best thing we can do in our lives is to constantly remain in the remembrance of Allah. If we alwyas have Allah in our hearts then we will do EVERYTHING to please him and refrain from anything that displeases him.

The Prophet of Guidance (sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) told us that remembrance of Allah is the best and the purest deed.

Abu Dardaa narrated that the Messenger of Allaah (sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, “Shall I tell you of the best and purest of your deeds before your King, the one that elevates your position the most; that is better for you than meeting your enemies whose necks you strike and they also strike your necks, and better than spending gold and silver?” The companions said, “O Yes.” The Prophet (sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) then said, “Remembrance of Allaah, the Exalted.” (Ahmad, Tirmidhi and others).

We must also think before doing any action to ensure that EVERYTING we do we do to please Allah and if it will benefit us in the hereafter then we should do it but if it will only waste our time then we should not do it.

Al-Hasan Al-Basri said: “Seek sweet happiness in three things: performing prayer, Remembering Allah, and reading the Holy Quran. If you find (delight in those three things), it is alright. But if you do not, it means that the door (to Allah’s Love and Mercy) is closed; so search for the reason.”

Another of the righteous men said, “How miserable people of the present world are! They pass away from it without having tasted the most delicious thing therein.” And when he was asked: “What is the most delicious thing therein?”, he said: “Knowing Allah, the Almighty, loving Him, and remembering Him.”

So sister we must strive as best we can to make the best of each second of our lives to ensure that each second is spent on pleasing Allah and each second that we waste on that which will not benefit us in the hereafter will be seconds that are wasted and seconds that we will regret FOREVER! But do so within our own limits and our own speed whetaver we can manage without over burdening or over whelming ourselves but we must strike a good balance as in not go so slow and not go so fast but take a middle path with regards to our progression in the worship of Allah.

Ramadan is nearly here and it is a month that we all need desperatley in order to give us a real boost in imaan and a perfect opportunity to train ourselves up for the rest of the year for Ramadan is a month of training for us for it is truly a mercy from Allah.

Here are a few E books that you could read which you will find very beneficial inshallah:

Ideal Muslimah

http://www.islamicbulletin.org/free_...l_muslimah.pdf

Here are lots more free books for Muslim women:

http://www.islamicbulletin.org/servi..._p3.aspx#link7

The following are some very beneficial lectures which you should listen to, to increase your imaan and fear of Allah:

Remembrance: ask Allah for his forgiveness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-EK9r3rMzQ

Angel of Death!!! - Sheikh Ahmed Ali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzRJXlB2uA

HARD HITTING Lecture on HELLFIRE & the Day of JUDGEMENT! يوم القيامة والجحيم

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6L_fBk7VM

Sheikh Ahmad Ali - Hellfire Talk Part 1/3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWTehIeCOUU

Sheikh Ahmad Ali - Hellfire Talk Part 2/3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTtk7rWx_U

Sheikh Ahmad Ali - Hellfire Talk Part 3/3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmiD86w9fBc

Islam - Punishment of the Grave by Sheikh Riyadh ul Haq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWb-hYIm2WE

Death and the Grave by Murtaza Khan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r2nzJVecqo

How can we not appreciate what we have after watching this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkEBUC0APMg

AMAZING short speech -"The Goodly Life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fugf1DcNyc

If you need help, advice or anything at all then please do not hesitate to ask. Please remember me in your duas.

And Allah knows best in all matters

May Ayob
07-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I have felt God would not love me if I wasn't perfect. Does that make more sense?

Salaam
Yes that makes more sense now, Um I think then you have to read about God s.w.t and know him through the Qura'n, I don't understand what you mean by perfect , because Perfection is only due to God :/
Insha'Allah Allah will help you and you will feel better

Salaam

May Ayob
07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Salaam sister, I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean trying to please people is bad? I once bought a homeless man a pizza because he looked so hungry and destitute and I was genuinely concerned about him. Should I not do that again? Thank you for clarifying. Peace be with you

Wa aAlikum a Salaam
Sorry , It's my bad for not making things clear, so please pardon me :)
What I meant was that People Pleasing( from my understanding people pleasing is doing things that you don't normally do for no other but getting their praise or to make them think about you in a good way : for example Joining a Charity Organization inorder to get parised by the people in your community and they say oh look May is so compassionate she is working in a charity organization to help people, joining a charity organiztion is not a bad thing but if my intention was for no other but to get praised their is problem)
If people Pleasing has another meaning then i am sorry I do not acknowledge it.
What you did was not people pleasing , I do not understand how you got to that conclusion:/
what you did was Charity based on Good intentions
Riya( showing Off) is a sin that is speaking or boasting about your good deeds inorder to have reputation I did not bring this from my self , It is clearly mentioned in the Qura'n plenty of times.

Sorry for the misunderstanding
Peace and blessings be with you.

Who Am I?
07-08-2011, 02:48 PM
:wa:

I believe what sister May Ayob is saying is that if you do a good work so that you can boast about it and garner publicity from it (as many celebrities do), then that is actually a sin because you're doing it for selfish reasons.

Intent is a big part of anything you do in Islam. Even if you make a mistake, as long as your intent is good, then Allah will still consider it a good deed. We're not perfect, after all.

Sister May, feel free to correct me if I am off target here.

Just_A_Girl13
07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Wa aAlikum a Salaam Sorry , It's my bad for not making things clear, so please pardon me What I meant was that People Pleasing( from my understanding people pleasing is doing things that you don't normally do for no other but getting their praise or to make them think about you in a good way : for example Joining a Charity Organization inorder to get parised by the people in your community and they say oh look May is so compassionate she is working in a charity organization to help people, joining a charity organiztion is not a bad thing but if my intention was for no other but to get praised their is problem) If people Pleasing has another meaning then i am sorry I do not acknowledge it. What you did was not people pleasing , I do not understand how you got to that conclusion:/ what you did was Charity based on Good intentions Riya( showing Off) is a sin that is speaking or boasting about your good deeds inorder to have reputation I did not bring this from my self , It is clearly mentioned in the Qura'n plenty of times. Sorry for the misunderstanding Peace and blessings be with you.
Salaam sis,

Jazak Allah Khairan for clarifying. I understand what you were trying to say now :)

Peace and blessings be with you

May Ayob
07-08-2011, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
I believe what sister May Ayob is saying is that if you do a good work so that you can boast about it and garner publicity from it (as many celebrities do), then that is actually a sin because you're doing it for selfish reasons. Intent is a big part of anything you do in Islam. Even if you make a mistake, as long as your intent is good, then Allah will still consider it a good deed. We're not perfect, after all. Sister May, feel free to correct me if I am off target here.

Salaam Brother
May Allah bless you!
That is exactly what I meant but I probably was mis-understood because my English is not that good
Thank you,
Salaam

Salaam sis, Jazak Allah Khairan for clarifying. I understand what you were trying to say now Peace and blessings be with you
No Problem sis :)
Thank you for asking!!:D
Salaam

SFatima
07-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Thank you for your response. I wanted to clarify (perhaps I didn't make sense the first time). I'm not trying to please people anymore. Since my Shahada I have been trying to please God. But because of my experiences with people, I have felt God would not love me if I wasn't perfect. Does that make more sense?
Salamo alaikum sister,

it is quite healthy to go through these thoughts as they are a sign of strong eeman.

Hazrat Umar R.A, the beloved companion of the Prophet Muhammad saww, was also a revert, but before reverting he was a strong enemy of muslims, but after reverting to Islam he used to cry so much over his earlier ways, even though he had been given many blessings from Allah swt. It is his famous quote that,

" Were all the good people from this world to be lifted into jannah, and Allah swt announced that there is only person who will go to hell fire, I would think that it is definitely me."

And we all know that he had such a strong faith, that The Prophet Muhammad saww had once praised him by saying " Were there a Prophet after me, it would be Umar r.a." And Umar R.A was among the only 10 people who had been given the news in their life times that they will go to jannah, such was the level of service they had for islam, and such was their state of worry that Allah swt foretold them so that they would worry less. And such was their gratitude, that those companions started working even more in the way of Allah swt, in order to be worthy of such a blessing.

It is also said in a hadith, that Even Shaitan was so scared of Hazrat Umar that he used to change his way if he saw Umar R.A coming ahead. (because shaitan probably knew that if he cast a doubt to Umar r.a, Umar would become more strong in his faith)

Hence, we should also adopt the same approach and try to become more strong by reading the Quran, listening/attending to its scholarly explanation, because that really makes you faith really strong, Alhamdulilah, and cures away all those doubts.

Who Am I?
07-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I try to read a little Qu'ran every day, pray on time, and listen to lectures from scholars about Islam. The more I know, the stronger my faith will be.

IAmZamzam
07-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Emotions come and go; truth is eternal.

As for the judgment for our intentions, here is the formula according to Sahih Bukhari volume 8, book 76, number 498.

To boil it down, imagine your spiritual record for Judgment Day being mathematical, and the standard for the tally going like this:

Trying to do the right thing and failing: +1
Trying to do the right thing and succeeding: +10 to +700, depending on the circumstances
Wanting to do the wrong thing and abstaining: +1
Trying and succeeding at doing the wrong thing: -1

Perseveranze
07-09-2011, 11:12 PM
I try to read a little Qu'ran every day, pray on time, and listen to lectures from scholars about Islam. The more I know, the stronger my faith will be.
Yup, knowledge is so important to the deen.

The Prophet(pbuh) said; With knowledge man riseth to the heights of goodness and to a noble position, associateth with sovereigns in this world, and attaineth to the perfection of happiness in the next.

Who Am I?
07-10-2011, 02:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Yup, knowledge is so important to the deen.

The Prophet(pbuh) said; With knowledge man riseth to the heights of goodness and to a noble position, associateth with sovereigns in this world, and attaineth to the perfection of happiness in the next.
This is why I am the Seeker of Knowledge. There is no more powerful weapon against Shaytan and his attacks of ignorance than knowledge.

Flame of Hope
07-10-2011, 05:08 AM
:sl:

This is why I am the Seeker of Knowledge. There is no more powerful weapon against Shaytan and his attacks of ignorance than knowledge.
Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

This is how a Muslims needs to be... and this is the best attitude to have.

Ramadhan
07-10-2011, 05:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham
Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen! This is how a Muslims needs to be... and this is the best attitude to have.

I agree.
however, along with knowledge, we must also equip ourselves with humbleness, both cannot be separated.

Iblees possessed much greater knowledge than humans will ever attain, they even had direct knowledge of the creator, but it was their arrogance (or in the other hand, lack of humbleness) which sent them to hellfire.

There are plenty of people, who have acquired knowledge, but because of their arrogance, they became atheists instead. I have friends who are really smart and have so much knowledge but they became atheists.
It requires humbleness in order to acknowledge and accept that we are merely created and very weak and limited and that we depend on Allah SWT for everything.
And this is, in my opinion, is one of the benefits of our daily 5 times shalah, where we ask Allah for protection, strength and mercy.
The moral of the story: do not ever miss shalah.

May Ayob
07-10-2011, 05:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
It requires humbleness in order to acknowledge and accept that we are merely created and very weak and limited and that we depend on Allah SWT for everything.

Yes I agree, If one does not observe humbleness and sincerity into their work it probably has no value , because those deeds can lead someone to be proud of what they are doing and thinking that they are better than others because they do many deeds that seem to be good but they are only doing it to seclude themselves from people and in order to put them themselves in higher rank , one who does a good deed should do it privately and sincerely no body needs to know about it so it is pure and it is for God s.w.t alone

Salaam

May Ayob
07-10-2011, 05:50 AM

Who Am I?
07-10-2011, 07:33 AM

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

This is how a Muslims needs to be... and this is the best attitude to have.

I've always thought knowledge was key, even before I became a Muslim.

I agree.
however, along with knowledge, we must also equip ourselves with humbleness, both cannot be separated.

Iblees possessed much greater knowledge than humans will ever attain, they even had direct knowledge of the creator, but it was their arrogance (or in the other hand, lack of humbleness) which sent them to hellfire.

There are plenty of people, who have acquired knowledge, but because of their arrogance, they became atheists instead. I have friends who are really smart and have so much knowledge but they became atheists.
And this is, in my opinion, is one of the benefits of our daily 5 times shalah, where we ask Allah for protection, strength and mercy.
The moral of the story: do not ever miss shalah.

I was once like one of those whom you describe, when I was an atheist. I thought I knew everything and you couldn't tell me any different. After many years of anger and self-loathing, I finally realized that I didn't know everything, and started looking for answers. That story you all know.

Starrynight
07-10-2011, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
Salamo alaikum sister,

it is quite healthy to go through these thoughts as they are a sign of strong eeman.

Hazrat Umar R.A, the beloved companion of the Prophet Muhammad saww, was also a revert, but before reverting he was a strong enemy of muslims, but after reverting to Islam he used to cry so much over his earlier ways, even though he had been given many blessings from Allah swt. It is his famous quote that,

" Were all the good people from this world to be lifted into jannah, and Allah swt announced that there is only person who will go to hell fire, I would think that it is definitely me."

And we all know that he had such a strong faith, that The Prophet Muhammad saww had once praised him by saying " Were there a Prophet after me, it would be Umar r.a." And Umar R.A was among the only 10 people who had been given the news in their life times that they will go to jannah, such was the level of service they had for islam, and such was their state of worry that Allah swt foretold them so that they would worry less. And such was their gratitude, that those companions started working even more in the way of Allah swt, in order to be worthy of such a blessing.

It is also said in a hadith, that Even Shaitan was so scared of Hazrat Umar that he used to change his way if he saw Umar R.A coming ahead. (because shaitan probably knew that if he cast a doubt to Umar r.a, Umar would become more strong in his faith)

Hence, we should also adopt the same approach and try to become more strong by reading the Quran, listening/attending to its scholarly explanation, because that really makes you faith really strong, Alhamdulilah, and cures away all those doubts.
I really liked hearing that story. Thank you :)

Starrynight
07-10-2011, 01:17 PM

I've always thought knowledge was key, even before I became a Muslim.

I was once like one of those whom you describe, when I was an atheist. I thought I knew everything and you couldn't tell me any different. After many years of anger and self-loathing, I finally realized that I didn't know everything, and started looking for answers. That story you all know.
Isn't it crazy looking back before we reverted how we used to be?

Ramadhan
07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
not only for the reverts, but also to people like me, who was once lost ways and went outside Islam. yes, arrogance and ignorance played their part. Alhamdulillah we all now are back in the fold of Islam and shirottol mustaqeem (the straight path). May Allah SWT have mercy on us and never let us go astray or anger Him again. ameen.

Who Am I?
07-10-2011, 07:13 PM

Don't remind me. I cringe sometimes when I think back at what I said and did, and I thought I was so cool at the time.

Flame of Hope
07-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Don't remind me. I cringe sometimes when I think back at what I said and did, and I thought I was so cool at the time.

Not at all a bad thing to be reminded of those days. :) It's a good thing to cringe and feel ashamed about things you've done in the past..... in your ignorance.

It ensures that we won't commit those mistakes again in the future.

So don't dismiss this as trivial. I encourage you to think about the past and the mistakes you made. It's good for your spiritual health.... for it teaches humility. How can anyone feel proud if he were to think and reflect upon all the stupid stuff he did in the past?

Who Am I?
07-11-2011, 06:25 PM

Not at all a bad thing to be reminded of those days. :) It's a good thing to cringe and feel ashamed about things you've done in the past..... in your ignorance.

It ensures that we won't commit those mistakes again in the future.

So don't dismiss this as trivial. I encourage you to think about the past and the mistakes you made. It's good for your spiritual health.... for it teaches humility. How can anyone feel proud if he were to think and reflect upon all the stupid stuff he did in the past?

Well the danger of that is dwelling too much in my past. I tend to do that sometimes when I start thinking about what I said and did. I have to be careful to maintain a balance of humility and not cross the edge into despair.

Flame of Hope
07-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Well the danger of that is dwelling too much in my past. I tend to do that sometimes when I start thinking about what I said and did. I have to be careful to maintain a balance of humility and not cross the edge into despair.

Yes, the key is moderation. The path of Islam is the Middle Way. If you go to the extremes, you'd be following Shaytan.

And do you know what is needed to stay in the middle and not go to extremes?

Thought, vigilance and knowledge.

Insecured soul
07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Thank you
Subhan allah,

Worrying for safeguarding your imaan is a sign of imaan itself. our hearts changes thats why
rasull allah pbuh used to make dua to allah azzawajal to keep our hearts steadfast to islam.

we might loose khushu at some point in our ibadah and it might feel like just like an exercise but u should never stop doing any ibadah as islam means submission to allah and we should do things (amaal) even if we dont like or not feeling so to do it.

try to listen to quran recitations, try to understand meanings and always learn..... and may allah make u feel the sweetness of imaan and help us all die on complete faith.

salaam alaikum warehmatullah

Who Am I?
07-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Yes, the key is moderation. The path of Islam is the Middle Way. If you go to the extremes, you'd be following Shaytan.

And do you know what is needed to stay in the middle and not go to extremes?

Thought, vigilance and knowledge.

Knowledge... the one thing I constantly strive to attain.

SFatima
07-12-2011, 08:42 AM

I agree with that, one should not dwell so much in the past, it obliterates your forward thinking and positiveness . A new muslim is a born again person, all his past sins are washed away, so no need to worry about them, just do lots of Astaghfaar and strive to move ahead InshALlah!

'Abd-al Latif
07-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Thank you
:salamext:

Don't feel bad, but smile because every affair is good for the believer.

Don't overwhelm yourself by thinking that for you to feel the affects of your prayer and worship, you have to do some kind of major task.

First free your mind from all the buzz, rush and excitement of whatever is occupying your mind, even if these are your past fears. Worship Allah with sincerity and pray to him with attentiveness in the heart. If these actions are done sincerely for Allah, and according to the Sunnah of the Prophet (:saws1:) then you will feel Allah's gratitude in your heart and an ease and facilitation of the affairs of your life.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take a giant stride forward. Remain optimistic of Allah and never give up hope that you can achieve your aspirations as a Muslim.

...Allah desires ease for you, and He does not desire for you difficulty... [2:185]

Who Am I?
07-12-2011, 03:07 PM

I have to share this with somebody because it's been on my mind since it happened and it is bothering me a bit.

One of my friends called me yesterday out of the blue. I didn't think anything of it until he straight up asked me if I was still studying Islam. I told him that I was but I didn't tell him that I converted yet. He went on this rant about how I should be careful, and Islam is false, and he thinks I should go back to being the old me (the one who drank, smoked, cursed, was angry, and wasn't happy with who I was). Apparently the old me is more fun and the new me is boring.

This guy is a Christian and he's a good guy, but sometimes he gets on my nerves with his personal crusades. I let him talk for a while but then told him I had to go. I didn't sleep a whole lot last night because I was thinking about all of this and it's in my head now. When I did sleep, I had a dream about telling my family and them flipping out. It woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep. I even missed a couple of prayers last night because I was worried about it.

I don't know where to go from here. I prayed before I went to sleep that Allah will show me a sign, but I feel like I'm missing something...

SFatima
07-12-2011, 05:12 PM
oh dont worry about these silly pushy friends, I've had many of those, Infact I was just about to post up a thread here about it because it was annoying me too.

That is one reason the Prophet Muhammad saww specifically recommended sincere religious friends to prefer for our company because our friends really do influence us. It is a hadith " beware of who you be-friend , for a person is on the religion of his friends".

So I would suggest brother that , either you come out with your religion or gather strength of faith, because this laying low is also we

Who Am I?
07-12-2011, 05:59 PM
oh dont worry about these silly pushy friends, I've had many of those, Infact I was just about to post up a thread here about it because it was annoying me too.

That is one reason the Prophet Muhammad saww specifically recommended sincere religious friends to prefer for our company because our friends really do influence us. It is a hadith " beware of who you be-friend , for a person is on the religion of his friends".

So I would suggest brother that , either you come out with your religion or gather strength of faith, because this laying low is also we

Well right now I am trying to learn what I can, so that when the time comes to reveal to all, I can stand strong.

SFatima
07-12-2011, 06:24 PM
InshAllah you WILL! Dont doubt your faith for even a moment! it is us who fail our faith, not the faith itself! I know you CAN, just energize yourself, drink some date milkshake or pudding, or coffee! Jump up and down, join a gym!

do you have the azzaan software in your computer? how do you know the prayer timings?

Just_A_Girl13
07-12-2011, 10:05 PM
do you have the azzaan software in your computer? how do you know the prayer timings?
There's a pretty good Firefox add-on for this. I'll try to find out what it's called for you....

Apparently the old me is more fun and the new me is boring.
That's funny. One of my good friends said the same thing to me a few weeks ago. Insha'Allah he will notice that even though you are supposedly "boring" you are also a better person now, and Allah (s.w.t.) will guide him.

Who Am I?
07-12-2011, 10:38 PM
InshAllah you WILL! Dont doubt your faith for even a moment! it is us who fail our faith, not the faith itself! I know you CAN, just energize yourself, drink some date milkshake or pudding, or coffee! Jump up and down, join a gym!

I know what you're talking about, and no, I don't have that yet. I know there is a phone application for it too.

That's funny. One of my good friends said the same thing to me a few weeks ago. Insha'Allah he will notice that even though you are supposedly "boring" you are also a better person now, and Allah (s.w.t.) will guide him.
I was just thinking a little while ago about how to approach this with my family. I was thinking of asking them if they've noticed any positive changes in my life and going from there.

SFatima
07-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Ok i think one can get the azan software from islamfinder.org or com, just try Listening to azaan also makes the satan run away and clear your doubts, Infact It is so refreshing, I cant survive without it, and life seems so boring without an azaan if you're in a non-muslim country : ).

One is to listen to azan in silence and reply to it in silence in their hearts too ( just repeat the wordings).

Which Quran are you using for translation? and which surah are you remembering, if you are, or if you aren't, do listen to just one sura a day atleast, even a small one, but just listen to the arabic of it. It makes our day better. : )

( P.s : I really don't get what is so interesting about partying, getting drunk , and then doing all the bad things, destroying one's dignity and then laughing over it( laughing over the demise of sanity, sensibility, conscience and faith), seriously people need to re-define their values or their sense of morality if this is what they call fun; a repetitive, extremely predictable cycle of intoxication, addictive drugs and dis-respecting the females, as if they themselves will never have daughters, and as if they wont even cringe at the thought if other men abused their daughters the same way. You don't even have to refer to religion to talk about this insanity, it is self deprecating and in-human enough, for any sensible man to be even suggesting such sort of fun to anybody, they can get a life : P Just tell them what goes around, comes around, if you abuse/mis-use 'easy women' today , people will mis-use/abuse your daughters/sisters, some other day. I'm amazed at how women can even like being looked at as just objects of pleasure in a western society and debate about oppression of the east, they serve nothing but the function of sex slaves themselves and they call it freedom, whatever : P )

( excuse the tone, I'm just a bit annoyed too with this mentality, so sorry about the rant :D)

SFatima
07-13-2011, 07:36 AM

I have to share this with somebody because it's been on my mind since it happened and it is bothering me a bit.

This guy is a Christian and he's a good guy, but sometimes he gets on my nerves with his personal crusades. I let him talk for a while but then told him I had to go. I didn't sleep a whole lot last night because I was thinking about all of this and it's in my head now. When I did sleep, I had a dream about telling my family and them flipping out. It woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep. I even missed a couple of prayers last night because I was worried about it.

I don't know where to go from here. I prayed before I went to sleep that Allah will show me a sign, but I feel like I'm missing something...
One more thing, Bad dreams are from shaitan, so if you're Incase wondering that you had a bad dream and it might affect you, please stop thinking that. In order to avoid a bad dream, one must sleep with the name of Allah swt the recommended zikar is Ayatal kursi, but if you haven't learnt it yet, I would say kalima shahada would be good as long as you're learning the other small sura's as well( preceded by Auzubillah and BismillAh) repeat it several times as this should be your last thought before going to sleep, you'll sleep instantly ( well i do, I got bunny sleep :D instant sweet dreams )

Second, when you have a bad dream, and you suddenly wake up, that is a good thing, because that is time for you to remember Allah swt ,and time for the bad dream to end that is why Allah swt wakes us up. Right after waking up, say "A'oo zubillahay himi nashaitaan nirrajeem" 3 times and do the spit action on your left, it makes the satan run away, he sits near our left ear and whispers his weirdness into them which translate into a dream if we havent read the protective suras before going to sleep.

And if you're too wide awake to go to sleep, just offer 2 rakah salah asking for forgiveness and protection, and you'll feel so relieved. In fact we can read the 2 rakah salah ( salah e Haajat, prayer for some need) anytime anywhere when we fee like, it eases our anxiety, helps us perform better and is formally asking for help to Allah swt, He never rejects that! and compensates in good measure even if you feel that immediately the prayer had little effect SubhanALlah, one can pray it before exams, before going to talk to an important person, before a job interview, before wanting to get married , to ask for the kind of wife they want, for children, for anything ( even to soften the hearts of one's parents (hint , hint* :D )

That done, we never mention the bad dream to anyone :) It is in Islam to not to mention a bad dream to ANYONE, even your own mother, BUT ask Allah swt for protection from bad dreams, and also pray to keep you safe from any adverse effects of the dreams ( which may come into your mind in the form of doubts and negative thoughts about people). But since you did not know it is ok for now, but none later.

Thirdly, when you have a good dream, it is only allowed to tell it to a person who you really trust a lot and who will have no intentions of harming you, like your mother or a wife. But they say unless the dream materializes, it is safe to not tell and keep praying for it to become true if it is in your best interest.

InshAllah you wont have bad dreams if you follow this advice. I read from a blog of this wiccan lady (witch,magic practising lady) that she had started having really disturbing dreams ( as magic is carried out with the help of shaitan and Djinns, and once you try to contact them, they don't leave you and drive you crazy till you're a completely mad/satan worshipping person) so hence she could not sleep too for many nights was starting to get really scared.

She somehow came across Islam, as the solution for this, and just to try, she read the Aoo zubbillah, bismillAh or kalima, any one of these before she went to sleep, and SubhanAllah she did not have any bad dream after that and slept peacefully. Thats when she realized that she was in touch with the dark powers for too long and they had disturbed the peace of her mind, she thus continued reading about Islam and then converted to Islam. I'll share her blog link if anyone wants to read her story. Dont know, she might even be here :D

( do excuse me if i have quoted her story without permission, but it is far more interesting than that)

SFatima
07-13-2011, 08:01 AM
And also, Ayatl-Kursi is in chapter 2 of the Quran. verse no. 255 (Sura baqara, the cow) Sharing a link for its recitation and translation. (you can also listen to it daily before you go to sleep, like keep it in the ipod or pc or in something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVMUofvyA68

Meaning:

Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal.
No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep.
His are all things In the heavens and on earth.
Who is there can intercede In His presence except As he permitteth?
He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures As) Before or After or Behind them.
Nor shall they compass Aught of his knowledge Except as He willeth.
His throne doth extend Over the heavens And on earth, and He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory). Al-Baqarah 2: 255

The benefits and virtues of this Ayah are numerous and here are some of them:

• A Guarantee of Paradise inshallah!
• It was narrated that Abu Umamah said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever recites Ayat Al-Kursi immediately after each prescribed Prayer, there will be nothing standing between him and his entering Paradise except death.” (Reported by An-Nasa’i and Ibn Hibban.)
• In it the Most Great Name of Allah (ismullahi al-’atham) is mentioned.
• It protects one’s self, property and home from the shayatin (devils) and brings one relief from difficulties.
• The believer who recites it following an obligatory salah is under the Care and Protection of Allah until the commencement of the next prayer.
• It is the only place in the Quran where the Kursi (Footstool of Allah) is mentioned
• It brings an abundance of blessings when recited and blown upon food and drink
Here are some hadith about the great benefits and virtues of Ayat ul Kursi:

>>Hadhrat Ali (ra) says that the chief of the Ayats of the Qur'aan Kareem is Ayatul Kursi.

>>Hadhrat Ibn Masood (ra) says that " Allaah, the Lofty did not create any thing in the skies or on earth, in Jannat or Jahannam, loftier than Ayatul Kursi. "

>>Hadhrat Ibn Masood (ra) says that no space in the sky or on the earth is loftier than Ayatul Kursi.

>>Hadhrat Ali bin Kaab (ra) remarks that the Prophet (saw) asked him," Which is the most high ranking Aayat in the Qur'aan Kareem?" He said, " Allaah and His Rasul know best". Rasulallah repeated this statement very often. Hadhrat Ali (ra) stated, "Ayatul Kursi". Nabi (saw) said:"Oh Abul Munzar (family name of Abi bin Kaab). May you be blessed by this knowledge. I swear by that Being in whose Hands and Control is my life, that this Ayat has one tongue and two lips. It is by the threshold of Allaah's Arsh, Mentioning His purity".

It is reported from Hadhrat Askee Baqri that the Prophet (saw) came to the abode of the Muhajreen when one person asked, "In the Qur'aan Kareem which is the most lofty Ayat?" The Prophet (saw) repeated "Ayatul Kursi".

>>Hadhrat Hassan reports "Marfoonaan"," I have been given Ayatul Kursi. The Prophet (saw) said," Surah Fateha, Ayatul Kursi and the two Ayats of Al-Imraan (Shaheedal Allaah - 18th Ayat), and "Qul Allaahumma Malekal mulk til Bi Ghairi Hisaab (Ayat 26/7) are attached to the Arsh(sky) and say, "Oh our Rabb, You are sending us onto earth to disobedient ones!!! Allaah says ," I have given you such status, whosoever from amongst my servants recites you after every Salaat, his resting place will be Jannah. And I will make his abode in Jannatul Quddoos and fulfill 70 needs of his daily needs, the least of which is forgiving him and saving him from all enemies of evils."

SubhanAllah, may we all be blessed ,ameen : )

Who Am I?
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM

I admit, sometimes I get lonely and sometimes I miss my old life, or at least the companionship that I used to have. I don't really have anyone that I associate with now, so I'm well and truly on my own except for these forums. This is my only link to brothers and sisters right now. I go to masjid sometimes, but it is on the other side of town and I don't have a lot of money to burn gas driving back and forth.

Thanks for all the links and information though. I'll check them out a little at a time and slowly digest the information. I had to take a break for a while because I was getting burnt out on trying to learn too many things at once.

I may go to masjid tonight. I haven't been there in almost 2 weeks.

SFatima
07-13-2011, 05:25 PM
No problem, just take it easy. Dont burden yourself with too much knowledge in a short span of time. And so sorry, we're pouring out so much on you :embarrass ( just wanted to facilitate, but you're right, one learns more by meeting people in person than they do online) One can only handle so much at a time, you will be coming across our posts, but it is totally upto your comfort level to decide when to do what, please do not feel pushed, at all! Also I think none of your muslim brotherhood wanted to make you feel lonely, it is quite natural to feel that way in a new environment.

May you get a nice house near the masjid and and a huge supporting and loving muslim community around you soon InshAllah and Aameen :D ( gosh i can understand how lonely it is being lonely, one should never be lonely, one can keep a cat, or some talking parrot : P)

Stay Blessed.

Who Am I?
07-13-2011, 07:22 PM
No problem, just take it easy. Dont burden yourself with too much knowledge in a short span of time. And so sorry, we're pouring out so much on you :embarrass ( just wanted to facilitate, but you're right, one learns more by meeting people in person than they do online) One can only handle so much at a time, you will be coming across our posts, but it is totally upto your comfort level to decide when to do what, please do not feel pushed, at all! Also I think none of your muslim brotherhood wanted to make you feel lonely, it is quite natural to feel that way in a new environment.

May you get a nice house near the masjid and and a huge supporting and loving muslim community around you soon InshAllah and Aameen :D ( gosh i can understand how lonely it is being lonely, one should never be lonely, one can keep a cat, or some talking parrot : P)

Stay Blessed.

No, don't worry about it, sister. Everywhere I go, there you are. You and Sister Flame and a few of the brothers here have become my Voices of Reason in this forum. ;D

It's funny though. I was talking a few weeks one Friday at masjid and some of the brothers mentioned moving back to that side of town. At least I would be closer to the masjid and to the Muslim community.

Something to think about, anyway...

Abz2000
07-31-2011, 04:30 AM
thanks for the post sister, it's as if i feel heart speaking as i read your comment,
i went through excatly the same thing where i struggled my utmost and when bad things happened to me i got angry at God and almost lost hope ( And those who believe and work righteous deeds,- them shall We admit to the company of the Righteous.10. Then there are among men such as say, "We believe in Allah.; but when they suffer affliction in (the cause of) Allah, they treat men's oppression as if it were the Wrath of Allah.
And if help comes (to thee) from thy Lord, they are sure to say, "We have (always) been with you!" Does not Allah know best all that is in the hearts of all creation?

this made me think straight a bit more and realize that our bad situations are not due to Gods constant dissatisfaction but due to hard hearts of people who have gone astray from the guidance He gave - i remember the Arabic saying - we complain about the time we are living in, however the time has remained constant, but it is we who are living in it........................ so where is the problem? you think.

i had totally fizzled out and stopped praying, started hanging with idiots again, but now i would feel something different, i would find myself thinking differently from them, i would feel like i'm being stupid doing nothing but hear them brag about silliness with each other, and would now wonder how they could just all link up and spend all day every day at a park corner or at the stairs of an estate, or in a friends garage, smoking and selling stuff that doesn't allow you to think properly! the purpose of life just wasn't there.

Allah will indeed admit those who believed and did good deeds into Gardens beneath which rivers flow; and the disbelievers enjoy, and they eat like the cattle eat, and their destination is in the fire.
47:12

i knew i was onto something - and having lived under Islam for a good few months made me see a different world, and a different way of thinking, i knew it was the right way but struggled to follow it, i slowly came round to doing what's compulsory and anything extra when i feel like doing it and not like i'm forcing myself to, now i do my normal things and pray and read, and spend ages researching and finding out the situation of Muslims around the world, and know that despite our situation i would not exchange it for any other group of people no matter how rich or powerful they were - (and Muslims would be the strongest group if we interacted more).
i am also able to do more for others as a person than i did just praying all day at home,
i still make mistakes, but quickly feel regret for anything badly wrong and say it after prayer.
and i feel i have developed my own character rather than an empty shell which builds it's character based on actors in sitcoms and movies and the whims of others around me.

regarding the other sister's comment about making sure there's no element of pleasing others - i'd say that's impossible if you know others are observing your good deed, and you'll feel good in front of others and not ashamed for your good deed if you have any decency, (there are people who feel good in front of others and brag about their evil deeds, what's wrong with making a good deed feel positive to yourself and to others?) though your intentions should be good and should ultimately be to please almighty God.

some people come to the right path just because they do good deeds to please good people around them and then feel the benefit of that good deed,
do you not remember the story of the man who came to the prophet?

Once a man came to the prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) and said, "Oh prophet of Allah, I have many bad habits. Which one of them should I give up first?" The prophet said, "Give up telling lies first and always speak the truth." The man
promised to do so and went home. At night the man was about to go out to steal. Before setting out, he thought
for a moment about the promise he made with the prophet. "If tomorrow the prophet asks me where have I been, what shall I say? Shall I say that I went out stealing? No, I cannot say that. But nor can I lie. If I tell the truth,
everyone will start hating me and call me a thief. I would be punished for stealing."

So the man decided not to steal that night, and gave up this bad habit. Next day, he felt like drinking wine, when he was about to do so, he said to himself, "What shall I say to the prophet if he asks me what did I do during the
day? I cannot tell a lie, and if I speak the truth people will hate me, because a Muslim is not allowed to drink wine." And so he gave up the idea of drinking wine.

In this way, whenever the man thought of doing something bad, he remembered his promise to tell the truth at all times. One by one, he gave up all his bad habits and became a good Muslim and a very good person.

from this story we can learn many lessons two of the prominent are:
1. the benefit of speaking truth
2. something less noticed - the man was worried that if he did do the evil deed and tell the truth (keeping his promise to the prophet (pbuh) - good people would dislike him for it.
so his fear of the displeasure of decent people made him stop his bad deeds and this slowly became normal until it was normal for him and he became a good believer.

but as i said in my other post - pleasing ignorant people and everyone else makes you lose your character and turn into a football which people themselves laugh at.
mob rule (democracy in the power hungry leaders' sense) is not an Islamic principle - Islam has an un-altering constitution and is a republic in the sense of the term (we can't make sodomy or incest legal tomorrow if the majority votes for it).
when two wolves and a sheep vote over what's for dinner the outcome is a forgone conclusion.

so i tend to agree that people pleasing is silly if it's for something wrong or if that's the ultimate goal, yet can be good if it is to please decent people and leads to good.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!