/* */

PDA

View Full Version : IB Writing contest: Are you interested?

Yanal
07-09-2011, 11:59 PM
:sl: Brothers and Sisters,just created this thread to get an approximate number of interested brothers and sisters that are willing to partake in this contest,insha'Allaah.

Update:

The contest is for fictional stories on any subject.

The maximum word limit is 5,000 words.

The contest closes on 30 November 2011.

Please PM entries to Ramadhan before 30 November 2011.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Flame of Hope
07-10-2011, 12:47 AM
:sl:

Flame sharpens her pen and is ready for the game.

Ali Mujahidin
07-10-2011, 03:02 AM

I am in. Unless the contest has a upper age limit. In which case, I would lobby for a veteran category. Let's call that Category For Old Writers Who Don't Pass Away (They Just Write Away).

Yanal
07-10-2011, 07:48 AM

No age limit,insha'Allaah:).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
07-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Count me in.... as spectator.

*picks up a chair, sit quietly, and:popcorn:

Ali Mujahidin
07-10-2011, 08:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

Mods are not allowed to take part?

May Ayob
07-10-2011, 08:17 AM
I am not good in Language skills especially writing , but I will give it a try, Do you decide the Topics? Or is it up to the members?

Salaam

Ramadhan
07-10-2011, 08:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan

It's more like I cannot even bluff and wing it in writing to save my life. :)

Muezzin
07-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd love to enter. It's tradition. :)

Yanal
07-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Walakum asalam,

Everyone is allowed to take part,just comes down to who wishes to do so and has the time to do so:).

Woodrow
07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
At the moment I do not see where I would have the time. But I do hope many will take part.

Flame of Hope
07-10-2011, 08:18 PM

There has to be a Nonsense Category.

I'll win that one for sure. With sister harb's help of course. My pen needs the smiley encouragement.

Soulja Girl
07-10-2011, 08:25 PM

I don't mind being the judge.. :popcorn:

:wa:

May Ayob
07-10-2011, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady
If you don't succeed at first, failure may be your style..
Salaam sister Crazy Lady
How about this?
Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. ~Albert Einstein
Failure is all part of success-T Dwag
To fall is not to fail, you fail when you don't try
Japanese Proverb
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Frederick Smith
Fear of failure must never be a reason not to try something.

Salaam and Peace be to you

Soulja Girl
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM

^:><:

Muezzin
07-10-2011, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

I don't mind being the judge.. :popcorn:

If the contest is decided by a poll vote, all members with access to the Creative Writing forum are potential judges.

Which is insanely cool.

Yanal
07-10-2011, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
If the contest is decided by a poll vote, all members with access to the Creative Writing forum are potential judges.

Which is insanely cool.

Indeed!

As for the topic,it's what the majority of you decide it to be,insha'Allaah.

IAmZamzam
07-10-2011, 10:24 PM
There wasn't a set topic last time.

If it's a short story contest again then I am writing a novel that will contain several short story-like chapters. Perhaps I could use one of them?

Yanal
07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
There wasn't a set topic last time.

If it's a short story contest again then I am writing a novel that will contain several short story-like chapters. Perhaps I could use one of them?
:sl: Yahya,how's it going?

Yes,you may,insha'Allaah.

GuestFellow
07-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Salaam,

Are you going to share some of those? <_<

*sits down as a spectator*

Bintulislam
07-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Count me innnnnit! :D

Ali Mujahidin
07-11-2011, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham
I'll win that one for sure.

I am game to give you a good run for your money. I think I have a good chance because a reliable source told me that age comes before beauty and I am quite sure you are not a wizened old hag and I am not going to win any beauty contests.

Starrynight
07-11-2011, 06:07 AM
If I've got time it could be fun

Yanal
07-11-2011, 07:00 AM

I'll give this thread a few more days,then I'll create a brainstorming thread, insha'Allaah.

Who Am I?
07-11-2011, 06:37 PM

I guess I'll have to dust off my old writing utensils and unclutter the corner of my mind that was once my creative center.

Ali Mujahidin
07-12-2011, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines
I guess I'll have to dust off my old writing utensils and unclutter the corner of my mind that was once my creative center.

I am sure there must be some heretofore unpublished gems lurking beneath all that dust and clutter.

Who Am I?
07-12-2011, 02:46 PM

I am sure there must be some heretofore unpublished gems lurking beneath all that dust and clutter.

A lot of incomplete manuscripts and one long ago completed one that needs a major overhaul.

Haya emaan
07-12-2011, 05:18 PM
i wish i could..:cry:

Bintulislam
07-12-2011, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslima haya
i wish i could..:cry:
Why can't you?...

Ali Mujahidin
07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
A lot of incomplete manuscripts and one long ago completed one that needs a major overhaul.

Talking about ideas for writing about, I have one that has been sitting on the back burner - make that way, way back burner - for donkey years. I am now releasing this idea under GPL, meaning anyone who feels inclined to is welcome to expand on it and make millions out of it, you know, book sales, movie rights, video games, toys franchise, the whole shebang.

TITLE:

The Centuarians

IDEA

Part of this idea is derived from the myth of the Centaurs, who are creatures with the bodies of horses and heads and arms of men. They look somewhat like these:

Attachment 4277Attachment 4278
The other part of this idea was triggered by the reports of the Vietnam war casualties. Apparently a large number of soldiers maimed in that war were injured by land mines. So they lost a leg or two.

Putting the two ideas together, I conceptualized a bio-mechanical war device - part man part machine. The human part will be supplied by the soldiers who have lost both legs in the war. The machine part is a fighting vehicle with four legs and various armaments like machine guns and canons, much like a tank.

The name came from combining two words - centaur, the half-man, half-horse mythical creature, and centurion, which is a well-trained Roman soldier.

Over to you. Don't forget to throw me some left-overs when you pass by in your limo.

Ramadhan
07-13-2011, 02:59 AM

Part of this idea is derived from the myth of the Centaurs, who are creatures with the bodies of horses and heads and arms of men. They look somewhat like these:
The other part of this idea was triggered by the reports of the Vietnam war casualties. Apparently a large number of soldiers maimed in that war were injured by land mines. So they lost a leg or two.
^ when I read this first paragraph only, I thought you were writing about disabled centaurs. LOL.

Ali Mujahidin
07-13-2011, 03:29 AM
when I read this first paragraph only, I thought you were writing about disabled centaurs.

Now that you have a better idea about what I was talking about, what do you think? Do you think you can develop the idea into a novel, perhaps?

Who Am I?
07-13-2011, 04:35 PM

That sounds a lot like something one of my gamer friends would come up with his for his games.

Long ago, when I was really into German WW2 stuff, I wrote a story about a group of German paratroopers fighting in the Spanish Civil War. It was my first (and so far my only) full length prose fiction story. I thought it was so cool at the time, but I re-read it not long ago and was shocked and disgusted by the poor quality of writing. I may re-write it at some point.

Haya emaan
07-13-2011, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bintulislam
Why can't you?...
i cant rely on my english for writing..:hiding: i cant write things like stories or essays etc in english..imsad or it seems not even a writing of primary student

i do writing stuff in my national language only..:hmm:

Bintulislam
07-13-2011, 05:35 PM

i cant rely on my english for writing..:hiding: i cant write things like stories or essays etc in english..imsad or it seems not even a writing of primary student

i do writing stuff in my national language only..:hmm:

ummm..what is your national language ?

Haya emaan
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bintulislam
ummm..what is your national language ?
urdu........

Ali Mujahidin
07-14-2011, 12:39 AM
urdu........

Maybe we can have a writing contest in Urdu? Or do we have one already?

aamirsaab
07-14-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd maybe participate. But it depends on a few things:
* what is the word limit?
* can we do any genre we like?

Bintulislam
07-14-2011, 09:45 PM

urdu........

What a co-incidence ! Mine is too. :) Pakistani? Well,they do have an Urdu section over here,ask the admins if this competition is for Urdu writers too.I wish I could write something worth reading in Urdu. :)

SFatima
07-15-2011, 06:36 AM
I would like to participate, and would like to be the Only judge and

ah ah ah!

:D

Asiyah3
07-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I'll try, insha'Allah.

Jalal~
07-16-2011, 06:37 PM
im up for the challenge
how does the contest work?

Muezzin
07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by halalmeat4free
im up for the challenge
how does the contest work?
Well, basically, everyone agrees a deadline, word limit and so on. Contestants write their entries and PM them to the contest organiser (last year that was Yanal). After the deadline has passed, the contest organiser will create a new thread containing all of the entries. Nobody will know who wrote which entry. For the past two years, the winning entry has been decided by poll vote.

Simples.

Also, linkage:

LI Story-Writing Contest '08 - The Stories

LI Writing Contest 09 - The Entries!

LI Writing Contest '10-The Entries!

GuestFellow
07-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Salaam,

Can someone PLEASE write a horror story? :)

Ali Mujahidin
07-17-2011, 07:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Can someone PLEASE write a horror story?

No problem. Just say how horrifying you want it to be and what type of ghosts you want to have in it. I will see what I can do.

SFatima
07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
i dont understand, what sort of a competition is it going to be? will there be no single genre?

*horror? horror is too boringly predictable : ( , just saying "

Ali Mujahidin
07-17-2011, 10:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
*horror? horror is too boringly predictable

Don't be too sure about that. You haven't read my version of a horror story yet.

GuestFellow
07-17-2011, 01:46 PM

No problem. Just say how horrifying you want it to be and what type of ghosts you want to have in it. I will see what I can do.

Anything. I don't mind, as long as it is horror. I do like the Japanese version of the Grudge (Ju-on).

Jalal~
07-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Jazakallah Khair Muezzin for posting all the links, i read some of the stories and they were very interesting! Just tell me when we can start writing and when the deadline is

SFatima
07-17-2011, 08:00 PM
(note to all who have those yuumy eatery huge pics under their posts, please have mercy on us, who get really hungry while looking at them :hiding: )

SFatima
07-17-2011, 08:02 PM
I can only write story spoilers, sorry but thats what im good at :D

( i shall spoil the stories !!all of them !):Evil:

Who Am I?
07-17-2011, 08:45 PM

"The horror..... the horror..."

Interesting that you said that. I've had a little horror project in the works for a year or so. It really hasn't had much progress yet, but the idea is in my head. It's a Lovecraftian-type horror theme set against the backdrop of WW1 (yes, that again. What can I say? I'm a WW1 nerd right now).

Just_A_Girl13
07-17-2011, 09:09 PM
(note to all who have those yuumy eatery huge pics under their posts, please have mercy on us, who get really hungry while looking at them )
Especially during Ramadan ;D

Muhaba
07-25-2011, 01:44 PM
i am in. i am in!!!

إحسان
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I would love to join!
I'll try and think of some story plots in the meanwhile...

Innocent Soul
07-27-2011, 03:25 PM
When will the contest start :? I am waiting :unhappy:. I want to read everyone's stories :).

Who Am I?
07-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Change of plans. I found a copy of an old story I had written long ago. I'm thinking of re-writing it since I looked through it and it was total crap.

Ali Mujahidin
07-27-2011, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *dua
I'll try and think of some story plots in the meanwhile...

Here's a plot for you, at no charge.

Boy meets girl. Boy meets girl's father who is a widower. Girl's father meets boy's mother who is a widow. Writer meets a big headache trying to untangle the plot.

Muezzin
07-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Here's a plot for you, at no charge.

Boy meets girl. Boy meets girl's father who is a widower. Girl's father meets boy's mother who is a widow. Writer meets a big headache trying to untangle the plot.
Sounds kinda like 'The Parent Trap', or another variation of the 'matchmaker' subgenre of romantic comedy. No headaches necessary. :)

Who Am I?
07-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Wait, is that even allowed here? I thought romantic subplots were a taboo subject...

Muezzin
07-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Wait, is that even allowed here? I thought romantic subplots were a taboo subject...
With good enough writing, no subject is taboo.

format_quote Originally Posted by Innocent Soul
When will the contest start I am waiting .
Well, Ramadan is just around the corner so maybe we'll want to wait until that's over...

I want to read everyone's stories .
You could always read the entries from the previous contests while you wait. :)

Ali Mujahidin
07-28-2011, 02:21 AM
With good enough writing, no subject is taboo.

You are absolutely right. Even a story about prostitutes and rapists can be written from the Islamic viewpoint.

Who Am I?
07-28-2011, 05:08 AM

The original draft of my story (written 10 years ago before I ever thought about Islam) had a romantic subplot which is why I was asking.

OK, well no romance angle then. I was going to take it out anyway since I am lousy at writing romance. I can write about a man's inner struggles all day. But throw a woman in there and it all goes to crap (sounds like my real life, actually).

Jalal~
07-28-2011, 10:58 PM

The original draft of my story (written 10 years ago before I ever thought about Islam) had a romantic subplot which is why I was asking.

OK, well no romance angle then. I was going to take it out anyway since I am lousy at writing romance. I can write about a man's inner struggles all day. But throw a woman in there and it all goes to crap (sounds like my real life, actually).
well, i guess since we might start after ramadan, you'll have time to think up an excellent story.
and it looks like we have a lot of competition this year :)

Who Am I?
07-29-2011, 01:03 AM
well, i guess since we might start after ramadan, you'll have time to think up an excellent story.
and it looks like we have a lot of competition this year :)
Yeah, that inshallah will be enough time to think of something that doesn't totally suck.

Yanal
08-01-2011, 12:08 AM
:sl: everyone,

Yes,I also do believe it will be best to hold the contest after Ramadhan,insha'Allaah.:)

إحسان
09-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Is it back on?

Yanal
09-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes it is,not sure if this information regarding the contest has been answered but to clarify,let's all agree upon the following:
Deadline date:
Theme:
Maximum amount of words:

Muezzin
09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Yes it is,not sure if this information regarding the contest has been answered but to clarify,let's all agree upon the following:
Deadline date:
Late November?

Theme:
No set theme?

Maximum amount of words:
No more than 5,000 words.

My suggestions only, let's see how others feel.

Yanal
09-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Sounds good,what do you guys(the participants of this contest,insha'Allah) feel about the outline? Suggestions,comments and feedback on the outline are appreciated,as we can adjust the outline accordingly.

Muhaba
09-07-2011, 10:30 AM
it's fine i guess.

Jalal~
09-08-2011, 10:06 PM
maybe since we just got out of Ramadan, we could have a theme about that! Im pretty sure some of the new Muslims on this website would like to incorporate what they learned in their first Ramadan in a short story. Just an idea though, i dont mind the "no theme" idea

Ali Mujahidin
09-09-2011, 12:36 AM
How about a story about "Journey to Mecca"? It could be set in any era. Follow the adventures of the protagonist as he sets out to fulfill his commitment to Islam. What do you think?

Muezzin
09-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Ramadan and Journey to Mecca are both great themes. The excellent thing about 'no set theme' is that everyone can write about whatever they want. It's awesome.

Ramadhan
09-10-2011, 03:45 AM
Can someone please just start this contest already?
Me wants to read some stories

Riana17
09-10-2011, 05:29 AM
I'd love to enter. It's tradition. :)
Salam Alaikkum
That's the confidence

I hope someone can summarize what's the beauty of ISLAM & why everybody has to consider ISLAM,,, I don't have the ability to write but I can read tho

and I can circulate and make it as DAWAH...

aamirsaab
09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Sounds good,what do you guys(the participants of this contest,insha'Allah) feel about the outline? Suggestions,comments and feedback on the outline are appreciated,as we can adjust the outline accordingly.
I'm fine with the outline in Muezzin's post.

Hopefully we'll have quite a number of entries this year!

Muhaba
09-17-2011, 02:31 PM
^I hope so too! And I hope there are many ppl who vote and not just a few. if many ppl show interest in the contest by entering or voting, i may give a link to a site that helps ppl improve their writing.

Who Am I?
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM

I guess I should start writing, then.

Re.TiReD
09-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Assalamu 'alaykum

Sssoo....is this happening Insha'Allah?

Deadline? How is voting going to happen etc etc? =D

Wassalam

SFatima
09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
what is to be written about? what is the topic? how long should it be? when to submit?

aamirsaab
09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
what is to be written about? what is the topic? how long should it be? when to submit?
Any topic.
Max 5000 words
We're aiming for end of november inshallah.

Muezzin
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Is anyone with awesome photoshop skills willing to make a banner for the contest? It could be placed at the top of the forum and/or in people's signatures and link to the entries thread. It would really help increase awareness and also give Islamicboard's gifted visual artists a chance to shine.

Jalal~
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
if i can find a way to get photo shop, then i can help

Muezzin
09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
if i can find a way to get photo shop, then i can help
Photoshop is a suggestion rather than a requirement. Artistic ability and a scanner might also suffice. :)

Ali Mujahidin
09-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Is anyone with awesome photoshop skills willing to make a banner for the contest? It could be placed at the top of the forum and/or in people's signatures and link to the entries thread. It would really help increase awareness and also give Islamicboard's gifted visual artists a chance to shine.
Give me some ideas about what to incorporate in the banner and I will see what I can do with Gimp.

Muezzin
09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Give me some ideas about what to incorporate in the banner and I will see what I can do with Gimp.
Excellent.

Maybe it could contain a picture of a pen and paper. I don't know. Surprise us. :)

As long as it's eye-catching and contains words to the effect of 'I.B. Story Writing Contest Entries - Vote now!'

Insaanah
09-21-2011, 07:14 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
if many ppl show interest in the contest by entering or voting, i may give a link to a site that helps ppl improve their writing.
Why not give that link now, so that everybody (including those entering the competition) can benefit?

Muezzin
09-21-2011, 07:24 PM
One of the best sites I've ever come across is Absolute Write. Many of its members are published authors, and there are topics on just about everything to do with writing.

Scimitar
09-23-2011, 05:41 PM
The trail of blood left by a sword, is nowhere near as frequent - nor as long, as the trail of ink left by a pen...

...I'm in.

Ramadhan
09-24-2011, 04:35 AM
When does this thing start?

*waiting patiently while:popcorn:*

SFatima
09-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Sorry but can the story be short? :hmm::embarrass I mean , it can be about anything?

GuestFellow
09-25-2011, 12:00 AM
When does this thing start?

*waiting patiently while:popcorn:*
Give me my popcorn. *Steals popcorn and gobbles it all up*

joyous fairy
09-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Will there be a topic?

I find it easier to write if Im given a topic and if its based on proper research. I fail at story writing imsad

Sorry, I havent read the whole thread to know if its been discussed.

Muezzin
09-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Well, so far people have agreed that there will be no set topic, stories can be no longer than 5,000 words, and the deadline will be in late November.

Muhaba
09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
if you want to improve your writing, you should how to write books. some of the best books i've found are writing digest books. elements of fiction writing, beginngs middles and endings, etc.

also use a writing group where you can get constructive criticism.

and the best thing to do is do lots of writing. its okay to write absolute trash whcih you delete late. its also good to edit well, changing the story, chopping words, etc. remember practice makes perfect.

but do this only as a pasttime and let your writing keep you from doing other important things like memorizing the Quran, etc.

the website is F2K fiction (it may be called something else now.) you can do a search. it is a free course whose one benefit is that you can post your work for other writers to comment on. since there are many writers, you may get some good feedback. since its free, you can practice your writing without spending money. there is also a paid course but i don't recommend it because it doesn't help any more than the free one.

F2K is part of Writers' Village university. it is a site that gives writing courses and similar forums where writers post their work and give each other feedback. while you only spend an annual fee and can do as many courses as you want, you have to buy books to do the courses. once again, the best books that beginning writers should definately read are writing digest books

Muhaba
09-25-2011, 01:40 PM
here the banner i made for the writing contest.

Muezzin
09-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Also:

I'm sure the Photoshop masters can do much better than this Google Image/Paint/Word mashup.

EDIT:

Version 2

Version 3

Muezzin
09-25-2011, 08:24 PM
A member who wishes to remain anonymous sent this to me in a private message:

I think it's really dynamic and eyecatching, and it even gels well with the forum's colour scheme.

It would be great if other members could give their own designs and input.

joyous fairy
09-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, so far people have agreed that there will be no set topic, stories can be no longer than 5,000 words, and the deadline will be in late November.
Ok, thanks.

I'll try and enter inshaAllah. Have no ideas at the moment but I'll have a think.

Who Am I?
09-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Bah, now I just need to sort out which theme I am going with...

alhamdulilaah
10-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Asalamu-alaikum,

Here are some banners, I made for the Writing Contest.

Muhammad
10-06-2011, 02:52 PM

I think it would be good if the banner isn't too big such that people won't have to scroll down signatures to see it all.
Will there be any criteria given as to how the stories will be judged or is it solely down to a poll?

Muezzin
10-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Poll vote seems most straightforward.

Who Am I?
10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
When is the deadline for entry?

Be very afraid. I started my project a few days ago...

alhamdulilaah
10-06-2011, 11:33 PM
The banners I made are 50% of the original size.The original ones I have, could be resized upto 30% of the original size, and that would be its limit.

Muezzin
10-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Would it be possible to resize it to the same dimensions as the picture in your signature?

alhamdulilaah
10-10-2011, 06:08 PM

I have reduced the size to 20% and 25% of original size, but have changed the effects of the font as old one had that engraved effect, which I have checked, will not show clearly in 20 % or 25 % of the original size, that is why I said 30 % would be its limit, however any image could be reduced to the smallest size.

20% of the original size:

25% of the original size:

20% of the original size with just simple fonts and no effects:

25% of the original size with just simple fonts and no effects:

The older one in 20% and 25% of the original size in which the fonts have engraved effect which are not showing up clearly in smaller size:

alhamdulilaah
10-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Would it be possible to resize it to the same dimensions as the picture in your signature?
Yes it is possible, however the fonts or the picture may not be clear as it is originally in square shape, so I have redesigned to the dimensions of that signature. Here are some samples:

Muezzin
10-13-2011, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alhamdulilaah

What if it was the above font, in one of the rectangular shapes below?

Yes it is possible, however the fonts or the picture may not be clear as it is originally in square shape, so I have redesigned to the dimensions of that signature. Here are some samples:

Bintulislam
10-13-2011, 07:21 PM
When will the topics for story writing announced? Please message me. I am really looking forward towards it.

Muezzin
10-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Well, so far everyone has agreed that there is no set topic, members can write about what they like, as long as the story is not longer than 5,000 words :)

Also, a late November deadline was discussed, but we need some more specifics...

alhamdulilaah
10-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by alhamdulilaah

What if it was the above font, in one of the rectangular shapes below?

This font is verdana I think, but with some effects.

Here they are with this font :

Ramadhan
10-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Shouldn't a thread for the entries be created by now?

Muezzin
10-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Those new banners are amazing. They're the right size and really clear and legible.

As for entries, the way we've done it in the past is that all entrants PM their entry to the organiser (who I guess is Yanal), then the organiser will create a thread to put the entries into. That way, the writers of each entry are kept anonymous, so voters can focus on the stories themselves rather than the author.

However, first we need to agree a deadline. I've suggested late November... 30 November 2011? Agree, disagree, other suggestions? :)

GuestFellow
10-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Me want stories to read...and to eat. :p:

aamirsaab
10-23-2011, 01:26 PM
However, first we need to agree a deadline. I've suggested late November... 30 November 2011? Agree, disagree, other suggestions? :)
I'm going to be a massive jerk* and second that deadline so others will fall in line lest they wish to stand out from the crowd and get banned.

* has got his story finished

Jalal~
10-25-2011, 09:47 PM
30 november sounds really good

joyous fairy
10-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Once upon a time on IB, there was a writing contest and the members were trying to decide a deadline date. Muezzin suggested 30th November and aamirsaab agreed, to Joyous Fairys horror since she had not even thought about the topic let alone started writing yet! 'But...' she thought, 'if there is a deadline then I will become motivated to start the writing.'. And with that she started brainstorming ideas.

The end.

Endymion
10-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Ah,i wish all the stories will be that simple and short other wise im not gonna read them :statisfie

Muhaba
11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
i am contemplating whether to post a story or not.

aamirsaab
11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Please do. Otherwise, the competition will only have 3 entries....;(

p.s; where is yanal?

Huzzy_786
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I'd love to join in! Could someone just mention what the competition is? Please? I was unable to find the post which mentioned it.

Endymion
11-07-2011, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Huzzy_786
I'd love to join in! Could someone just mention what the competition is? Please? I was unable to find the post which mentioned it.
Here you are.

Well, so far everyone has agreed that there is no set topic, members can write about what they like, as long as the story is not longer than 5,000 words :)

Also, a late November deadline was discussed, but we need some more specifics...

Huzzy_786
11-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Jazakallah

So I could write a speech, 1st person and It would be Ok?

Endymion
11-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Well,i think it will be ok but not sure :hmm:

Some Mod will give you a better idea :hiding:

Huzzy_786
11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Awesome... Jazakallah for your help sister. I'll message the person and see if I get a reply.

Muezzin
11-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Just to clarify:

The contest is for fictional stories on any topic. Entries may be no longer than 5,000 words long. The deadline is 30 November 2011. :)

syed1
11-07-2011, 09:14 PM
whats the prize :O;D

Muezzin
11-07-2011, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
whats the prize :O;D
The prize is....

Oxygen.

:D

Huzzy_786
11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Also wanted to add:
Once you finish, send your work to Ramadhan
There is no minimum limit of how many words you can do, the maximum you can do is 5000 words.

aamirsaab
11-09-2011, 03:46 PM
1) 15 people have said yes they will participate, so I'm expecting 15 entries (including mine).
2) There's only 3 weeks to go!
3) This entire post was Bump-tastic!

Nájlá
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Wheres the thread with the full details of the rules, the amount of words, title etc?

aamirsaab
11-09-2011, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nájlá
Wheres the thread with the full details of the rules, the amount of words, title etc?
This is that thread.

Just to clarify:

The contest is for fictional stories on any topic. Entries may be no longer than 5,000 words long. The deadline is 30 November 2011. :)

Huzzy_786
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I've sent my entry in. Hope I've sent it to the right person.

Ramadhan
11-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Just to clarify:

The contest is for fictional stories on any topic. Entries may be no longer than 5,000 words long. The deadline is 30 November 2011.
So whom do the writers send their stories to?

Muezzin
11-11-2011, 10:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ramadhan

so whom do the writers send their stories to?
edit---

Muezzin
11-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Slight change of plan, guys. Yanal does not seem to be active at the moment.

Therefore, please PM your entries to Ramadhan. If anyone has already sent their entry to Yanal, please send it Ramadhan instead.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

esperanza
11-15-2011, 03:07 PM
have just seen this thread..are there any limits on subject matter

aamirsaab
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by esperanza
Just to clarify:

Get your skates on guys/gals. Just 2 weeks to go!

Endymion
11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by esperanza

Just to clarify:

:statisfie

Ramadhan
11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion

:statisfie
I'm particularly loving your finger-point smilie!

Now, where's your entry? I haven't received it. :/:

Endymion
11-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Are you talking about "My" entry :unsure:

Well,i dont think you'll ever gonna recieve it because

I did'nt write any :X

Huzzy_786
11-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I've resent mine! Now waiting patiently for the deadline to come and the voting to begin! :hiding:

Yanal
11-25-2011, 02:13 AM
Asalam alaykum Brothers and Sisters,

I apologize for any trouble you had because of me. My life has been quite hectic these last few weeks so I did not,unfortunately, have the time to log on here. Insha'Allaah,once you finish your stories please PM them to brother Ramadhan:).

JazakAllaah Khayr,and best of wishes to all!

Ramadhan
11-30-2011, 01:57 AM

Tick Tock Tick Tock

Time flies...

Only ONE DAY LEFT before the deadline closes,

so Please send your stories to me, and I will create a Poll Thread for voting on Dec 2 Insha Allah.

Hurry... hurry... :statisfie:statisfie

Muezzin
11-30-2011, 08:55 PM
My entry is done.

IslamicRevival
11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
My entry is done.

;D Where do guys get these from
Brilliant

Endymion
12-01-2011, 01:50 PM
My entry is done.

Sounds like the entry is really "short" and interesting :p

Muhaba
12-01-2011, 02:25 PM
terrific! can't wait fo9r voting to start!

Huzzy_786
12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Same... Does anyone know when it will start?

Yanal
12-07-2011, 01:03 AM

Best of blessings upon all members! JazakAllaah Khayr for participating in this contest.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!