PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Hindu bigots oppose Muslim prayers and halal meat at school



Predator
07-10-2011, 12:27 PM
TORONTO: Friday 'namaz' prayers at a school in the Toronto suburb of North York have angered Hindu advocacy groups here.

The noon-time prayers for 400 Muslim students of the Valley Park Middle School were introduced last November.

Angry Hindu advocacy groups want the 40-minute prayers, which are conducted by an 'imam' specially brought from a mosque, to be stopped immediately.

The local Canadian Hindu Advocacy, led by Ron Banerjee, is roping in various Hindu organizations to hold protests outside the school to pressure management to stop the Friday prayers. "This is alarming and unacceptable. We respect the separation of church and state," Banerjee said in interviews to the media.

"There's not supposed to be any religious classes taking place in public schools. We will be asking the board to stop the practice," according to Banerjee.

He said his group is writing letters to the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) to intervene to stop the practice being allowed by the school management.

The school has the responsibility for ensuring secular education for students, the Hindu advocacy leader added.

Banerjee said upset parents of Hindu students at the Valley Park Middle School had brought this practice to their notice.

He said Hindu groups will also raise objections to "the serving of 'halal' meat within TDSB schools. Our organization is determined to ensure all Hindu students are provided non-'halal' meat alternatives."

Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus are the biggest non-white communities of the Toronto area.


http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/n...ow/9133935.cms
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
07-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Salaam,

These Hindus need to find something more productive to do rather than complaining. :/

I remember in the UK, Hindus were complaining about why BBC spends so much time on documentaries based on Islam. p_p

EDIT:

Tragic typos....
Reply

Maryan0
07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
My highschool used to have jumah prayers. It wasnt a club created by the school it was Muslim students coming together on friday to pray in one classroom. If they want true secularism than they should complain about christmas break.
Salam
Reply

GuestFellow
07-10-2011, 06:17 PM
^ Salaam,

Don't forget Easter holidays and Hindu celebrations.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Maryan0
07-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
^ Salaam,

Don't forget Easter holidays and Hindu celebrations.
Those too...
It's gets more ridiculous the more times I read it.
The school has the responsibility for ensuring secular education for students, the Hindu advocacy leader added.
What does secular education by the school have to do with Jumah prayer and halal meat? The school isnt advocating or teaching anything. This is Canada it's supposed to be multicultural at least that's what was drilled into my head growing up i.e the mosaic. They're clearly carrying baggage from their home countries.
Salam
Reply

GuestFellow
07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Maryan0
What does secular education by the school have to do with Jumah prayer and halal meat? The school isnt advocating or teaching anything. This is Canada it's supposed to be multicultural at least that's what was drilled into my head growing up i.e the mosaic. They're clearly carrying baggage from their home countries.
Salaam,

I have no idea why some Hindus have a problem with Muslims in Toronto. I suspect they are trying to get fame or some sort of attention.
Reply

Maryan0
07-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

I have no idea why some Hindus have a problem with Muslims in Toronto. I suspect they are trying to get fame or some sort of attention.
I think they have some problems with Muslims that they're carrying from India and since everyone else these days is bashing Islam they might as well jump on the bandwagon and get their 15 seconds. That's my theory...
Salam
Reply

May Ayob
07-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Salaam Peace be to all

I used to live in Canada too :)

Jagad Guru: "Hatred and conflict are often rooted in differences between people of different races and religions. We all need to respect people of different races as well as people of different faiths and religions. We need to unite by recognizing our common desire and need for a harmonious society -- a society in which we and our children and families and friends and communities can all live our lives in peace and harmony. Regardless of our race or religion, we all want and need such social harmony."

Martin Luther King, Jr.: "We must learn to live together as brothers, or we are going to perish together as fools."

Kolki: "When religions coexist, leaders communicate, media respect neutrality, laws not blinded by immunity, and citizens' needs take precedence over profitability - peace becomes reality, world lives in harmony." 11

Hans Küng: "There will be peace on earth when there is peace among the world religions."

Salaam
Reply

GuestFellow
07-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Maryan0
I think they have some problems with Muslims that they're carrying from India and since everyone else these days is bashing Islam they might as well jump on the bandwagon and get their 15 seconds. That's my theory...
Salam
Salaam,

It sounds like a good theory. I think they should spend more time explaining their own religion rather than bashing ours.
Reply

aadil77
07-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

I remember in the UK, Hindus were complaining about why BBC spends so much time on documentaries based on Islam. p_p

EDIT:

Tragic typos....
Probably cause we make up the second largest religious group in UK, silly people
Reply

Pygoscelis
07-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Speaking as someone who works in Toronto, not too far from this school as it turns out, I was suprised to read this. It isn't a national, or even local story from what I can tell.

If they are bussing this Imam in on the tax payer's dime (these schools are tax funded) then I would stand with the Hindus in opposing it. If only Halal meat is on offer, I'd oppose that too (though really wouldn't care all that much). If this is some after school club then I really don't see the problem.

All that said, this may actually be good for secularism if we can get more public attention on it, and if we could use it to leverage against Catholic schools, which we've been fighting against for quite some time. In Canada, due to historical reasons, we still have public funding for Catholic schools, which is ridiculous and a push by Muslims, Hindus, or whoever for public funding of their schools as well may give us what we need to finally end the madness.
Reply

Muslim Woman
07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Salaam

Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

I have no idea why some Hindus have a problem with Muslims in Toronto. .

Verily, you will find the strongest among men in enmity to the believers (Muslims) the Jews and those who are Al-Mushrikoon ....


( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #82)
Reply

GuestFellow
07-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Speaking as someone who works in Toronto, not too far from this school as it turns out, I was suprised to read this. It isn't a national, or even local story from what I can tell.
That's good to hear.

All that said, this may actually be good for secularism if we can get more public attention on it, and if we could use it to leverage against Catholic schools, which we've been fighting against for quite some time. In Canada, due to historical reasons, we still have public funding for Catholic schools, which is ridiculous and a push by Muslims, Hindus, or whoever for public funding of their schools as well may give us what we need to finally end the madness.
What is wrong with public funding for religious schools? Then again, I actually prefer Muslims to use their own funds to finance their schools. I would not mind if my taxpayers money is used to finance other religious schools.
Reply

Pygoscelis
07-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Your signature is making me hungry :p

Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
What is wrong with public funding for religious schools? Then again, I actually prefer Muslims to use their own funds to finance their schools. I would not mind if my taxpayers money is used to finance other religious schools.
I would and do very much mind that my money is being taken by the state to fund the indoctrination of children into a religion (Catholicism and now possibly Islam). I'm an advocate for the separation of church and state.
Reply

May Ayob
07-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Salaam
I would like to ask myself , and the mebers in here a question:
What is the benefit of insulting others of their religion and calling them pagans?
Did not the companions of the prophet PBUH were also pagans?
Were we not ordered to repel evil with it's opposite?
Do you think this "Opposition" to what the Hindus in Toronto are doing is any good or will come out with any benefit?
Do you not think it will make things more complicated and lead to religious conflicts?

Salaam
Reply

GuestFellow
07-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Your signature is making me hungry :p
:p: lol

I would and do very much mind that my money is being taken by the state to fund the indoctrination of children into a religion (Catholicism and now possibly Islam). I'm an advocate for the separation of church and state.
Oh okay.
Reply

Predator
07-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Are they speaking against Halal/Kosher meat or are they complaining about having no other option but the Halal? If there was a Halal/Kosher meal option in addition to other foods, would they still be complaining?
This is what was mentioned

"He said Hindu groups will also raise objections to "the serving of 'halal' meat within TDSB schools. Our organization is determined to ensure all Hindu students are provided non-'halal' meat alternatives."

There is no rule in Hinduism stating that Halal/Kosher meat should not be eaten. This is something the hatemongers have come up with to create communal disharmony between groups. This is just an example of hatred incidents that led to the partition of India into Pakistan and Bangladesh
Reply

Beardo
07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
400 students for Dhuhr Salaah, masha-Allah! Impressive. I think they'll be able to continue doing what they're doing. :)
Reply

Muezzin
07-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Airforce
He said Hindu groups will also raise objections to "the serving of 'halal' meat within TDSB schools. Our organization is determined to ensure all Hindu students are provided non-'halal' meat alternatives."
Aren't Hindus supposed to be vegetarian?
Reply

Predator
07-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Aren't Hindus supposed to be vegetarian?
No there isnt any general ruling in hinduism which prohibiting them from consuming meat India . Its only beef which is prohibited because the cow is sacred animal
Reply

Galaxy
07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
:sl:

I hope my school district also allows students to pray Dhuhr and serve halaal meat. Christmas is celebrated in schools, I remember even writing a letter to Santa! Why isn't this being complained about?
Reply

Santoku
07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Airforce
This is what was mentioned

"He said Hindu groups will also raise objections to "the serving of 'halal' meat within TDSB schools. Our organization is determined to ensure all Hindu students are provided non-'halal' meat alternatives."

There is no rule in Hinduism stating that Halal/Kosher meat should not be eaten. This is something the hatemongers have come up with to create communal disharmony between groups. This is just an example of hatred incidents that led to the partition of India into Pakistan and Bangladesh
Actually from what I have read and been told the hindu and muslim approved methods of slaughter are mutually exclusive and what is halal for one is haram for the other. So in that case the hindus have as much right to demand Jhatka slaughtered meat as muslims have to demand halal slaughtered meat.
Reply

Muslim Woman
07-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Salaam/Peace

Originally Posted by Santoku
... what is halal for one is haram for the other..
according to our holy book , Muslims are not permitted to eat meat slaughtered by Hindus. But is there any such law mentioned in Hindu's holy books ?


.
So in that case the hindus have as much right to demand Jhatka slaughtered meat as muslims have to demand halal slaughtered meat.
how come Jhatka is halal for Hindus and not the slaughtered meat ? Pl. mention verse from Hindu's holy books.
Reply

Muslim Woman
07-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Salaam

Originally Posted by Airforce
Its only beef which is prohibited because the cow is sacred animal
I heard a lecture of Dr. Zakir Naik . He said Hindu's holy book does not have any such law. Instead a holy book says , if any Hindu sacrifices cow for the dead relatives , their souls will be in peace for ....years ...I forgot the exact years.
Reply

GuestFellow
07-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Aren't Hindus supposed to be vegetarian?
Salaam,

Hinduism and animals

^ Hope this helps.
Reply

Predator
07-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

Hinduism and animals

^ Hope this helps.
Hindus eating beef is much more common than Muslims eating Pork.
Reply

Predator
07-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam



I heard a lecture of Dr. Zakir Naik . He said Hindu's holy book does not have any such law. Instead a holy book says , if any Hindu sacrifices cow for the dead relatives , their souls will be in peace for ....years ...I forgot the exact years.

Yeah , what i meant was that Beef and cow slaughter is prohibited in many of India the so called "secular"country . You can still find 100s of butcher shops and top class restaurants selling it and its pathetic to seem them vandalising the restaurants like they did for Mcdonalds earlier

http://www.wikidfranchise.org/20010504-hindu-group
Reply

Santoku
07-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam



I heard a lecture of Dr. Zakir Naik . He said Hindu's holy book does not have any such law. Instead a holy book says , if any Hindu sacrifices cow for the dead relatives , their souls will be in peace for ....years ...I forgot the exact years.
I would not regard Dr Naik as a great expert on anything except Islam. Certainly his notions of animal behaviour and husbandry are totally incorrect.
Reply

Muslim Woman
07-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Salam /Peace


Hindu scriptures give permission to have non-veg


a. There are many Hindus who are strictly vegetarian. They think that it is against their religion to consume non-vegetarian food. In fact the Hindu scriptures permit a person to have meat. The scriptures mention Hindu sages and saints consuming non-vegetarian foods.


b. It is mentioned in Ayodhya Khandam, verses 20,26 and 94 that when Rama was sent for Banavas he told his mother that he would have to sacrifice his tasty meat dishes. If Rama had to sacrifice his tasty meat dishes it meant that Rama had likeness for meat.


If Rama can have meat, why can’t the Hindus have meat?

http://www.islamicvoice.com/december.98/zakir.htm



Beef Eating in Hindu scriptures



.......Mahabharata Anushashan Parva chapter 88 narrates the discussion between Dharmaraj Yudhishthira and Pitamah Bhishma about what food one should offer to Pitris (ancestors) during the Shraddha (ceremony of dead) to keep them satisfied. Paragraph reads as follows:

"Yudhishthira said, "O thou of great puissance, tell me what that object is which, if dedicated to the Pitiris (dead ancestors), become inexhaustible! What Havi, again, (if offered) lasts for all time?

What, indeed, is that which (if presented) becomes eternal?"

"Bhishma said, "Listen to me, O Yudhishthira, what those Havis are which persons conversant with the rituals of the Shraddha (the ceremony of dead) regard as suitable in view of Shraddha and what the fruits are that attach to each.

With sesame seeds and rice and barely and Masha and water and roots and fruits, if given at Shraddhas, the pitris, O king, remain gratified for the period of a month.


With fishes offered at Shraddhas, the pitris remain gratified for a period of two months.


With the mutton they remain gratified for three months and with the hare for four months, with the flesh of the goat for five months, with the bacon (meat of pig) for six months, and with the flesh of birds for seven. With venison obtained from those deer that are called Prishata, they remaingratified for eight months, and with that obtained from the Ruru for nine months, and with the meat of Gavaya for ten months, With the meat of the bufffalo their gratification lasts for eleven months. With beef presented at the Shraddha, their gratification, it is said , lasts for a full year. Payasa mixed with ghee is as much acceptable to the pitris as beef. With the meat of Vadhrinasa (a large bull) the gratification of pitris lasts for twelve years.



The flesh of rhinoceros, offered to the pitris on anniversaries of the lunar days on which they died, becomes inexhaustible.


The potherb called Kalaska, the petals of kanchana flower, and meat of (red) goat also, thus offered, prove inexhaustible.

So but natural if you want to keep your ancestors satisfied forever, you should serve them the meat of red goat.

http://islam-peace-brotherhood.blogs...criptures.html
Reply

Predator
07-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Santoku
I would not regard Dr Naik as a great expert on anything except Islam. Certainly his notions of animal behaviour and husbandry are totally incorrect.
If you find another verse in your scripture that contradicts another verse , then the whole book should be thrown out . Because any book that comes from God should have no contradiction


Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much discrepancy. [Qur'an 4:82]
Reply

Trumble
07-15-2011, 07:01 PM
You might want to switch your research from (largely irrelevant) scripture to history to find out why Hindus (and Sihks) have such a particular problem with Halal meat. Hint.. try 'Mughul Empire' as a starting point.
Reply

Predator
07-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Trumble
You might want to switch your research from (largely irrelevant) scripture to history to find out why Hindus (and Sihks) have such a particular problem with Halal meat. Hint.. try 'Mughul Empire' as a starting point.
We know sikhism has a prohibition on consumptions of halal meat. Sikhism is a different religion from hinduism . I am yet to see any such divine commandment in the hindu scriptues and btw Thanks for admitting hindus scriptures are irrrelevant (not the word of god).
Reply

Trumble
07-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Airforce
We know sikhism has a prohibition on consumptions of halal meat. Sikhism is a different religion from hinduism . I am yet to see any such divine commandment in the hindu scriptues and btw Thanks for admitting hindus scriptures are irrrelevant (not the word of god).
Alas, I am unable to repeat my last in words of one syllable or less, so I can only suggest you try reading it again in the probably vain hope you might obtain some degree of comprehension. Hint (again); H-I-S-T-O-R-Y not S-C-R-I-P-T-U-R-E.

BTW I have my reasons for suggesting you research that reason yourself rather than setting it out on a plate for you. I would rather you formed your own opinions.
Reply

Karl
07-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Muslims should go to Muslim schools only. Muslims should not assosiate with kafirs let alone being educated by them. I take issue with being taxed to fund state education regardless of whether it is religious or secular education. All education should be privatised in a pluralistic nation. That would stop all the petty back bitting about funding. User pays is the only just way.
Reply

Trumble
07-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Karl
Muslims should go to Muslim schools only. Muslims should not assosiate with kafirs let alone being educated by them. I take issue with being taxed to fund state education regardless of whether it is religious or secular education. All education should be privatised in a pluralistic nation. That would stop all the petty back bitting about funding. User pays is the only just way.
A nation in which one ethno-cultural-religious group doesn't even 'associate' with the others isn't 'pluralistic', it's totally disfunctional.
Reply

Predator
07-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Trumble
Alas, I am unable to repeat my last in words of one syllable or less, so I can only suggest you try reading it again in the probably vain hope you might obtain some degree of comprehension. Hint (again); H-I-S-T-O-R-Y not S-C-R-I-P-T-U-R-E.

BTW I have my reasons for suggesting you research that reason yourself rather than setting it out on a plate for you. I would rather you formed your own opinions.
You need to do a research of your own . Its Muslims and Jews a have a history of hatred enemity but their food is lawful for each other . Can you the same about the Hindus ? the answer is no.
Reply

Trumble
07-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Whatever. I've been doing my best to nudge you in the direction of finding out both what the answer actually is, and why it is. If you can't be bothered to make the minimal effort necessary, that's your problem.
Reply

Karl
07-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Trumble
A nation in which one ethno-cultural-religious group doesn't even 'associate' with the others isn't 'pluralistic', it's totally disfunctional.
Well the USA functions like that eg Christian fundamentalists don't associate with the sodomites, Jews, communists etc. A country only becomes disfunctional through crime, corruption and civil war.
Reply

Predator
07-21-2011, 04:39 PM
In an earlier post , I spoke about how the pagans demand money for trip to ganges to ""cleanse'" themselves of the sin of eating meat which someone deleted earlier thinking it was some story i concocted to ridicule the religion . Well here's the proof

http://timesofindia.hotklix.com/link...merican-eatery
Reply

Pygoscelis
07-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Karl
Muslims should not assosiate with kafirs let alone being educated by them.
Then why do they keep coming to kafir nations? And if they won't integrate and participate in our society, why should we have them in our countries? It seems pointless from both points of view.
Reply

Karl
07-22-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Then why do they keep coming to kafir nations? And if they won't integrate and participate in our society, why should we have them in our countries? It seems pointless from both points of view.
I don't know why they go there. I don't know why Jews and Hindus go there too. Btw you don't have to paticipate in society as long as you pay your own way and stay out of trouble. What is your definition of integration? It is also not illegal to be a recluse is it?
Reply

ابن آل مرة
07-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Freedom of speech.
Reply

GuestFellow
07-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Then why do they keep coming to kafir nations? And if they won't integrate and participate in our society, why should we have them in our countries? It seems pointless from both points of view.
Because western countries allow it? As long as you work, the government does not care whether you integrate.
Reply

Trumble
07-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ahmed M.
These urine drinking ignorant fools can burn in hell now for their deep hatred of Islam and Muslims.
'Deep hatred', huh? Gee, I wonder why.... when you are obviously so friendly, tolerant and eager to embrace mutual respect and understanding :rolleyes:

Muslim or Hindu, black or white, gay or straight - a bigot is a bigot.
Reply

joedawun
07-22-2011, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Ahmed M.;1455236]lol I read that the school was objecting because many of the students were not coming back after jumuah, so the problem was solved when the teachers spoke with the board about it.

These urine drinking ignorant fools can burn in hell now for their deep hatred of Islam and Muslims.[/QUOTE]

Apparently the deep hatred goes both ways, per your shining example.
Reply

User2024
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Your signature is making me hungry :p



I would and do very much mind that my money is being taken by the state to fund the indoctrination of children into a religion (Catholicism and now possibly Islam). I'm an advocate for the separation of church and state.

Your money has probably gone to war to kill people to...:omg:
Reply

User2024
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Then why do they keep coming to kafir nations? And if they won't integrate and participate in our society, why should we have them in our countries? It seems pointless from both points of view.
Oh there is one good reason for that, I live in a non-Muslim country but I like it, I would go to a Muslim country however the US Armykeep raining bombs on us so people so we had to spread and move out.....

Islam got larger and larger, and then it spread simple, and since the Middle east is under attack by US I doubt Muslims would want to visit Iraq or Afghan...
Reply

starfortress
09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Trumble
You might want to switch your research from (largely irrelevant) scripture to history to find out why Hindus (and Sihks) have such a particular problem with Halal meat. Hint.. try 'Mughul Empire' as a starting point.
Since reference from the scriptures are busted, then the diversions is not about religion restriction anymore, it suggesting something else - prejudice and anti moghul sentiments? well appreciate if you could draw which historic events that made hindus have these sentiments, because base on the suggestion given it can be considered their actions were merely colored by emotion rather than reason or realism. So how about a Nepalese Hindus and Balinese Hindus, here in Malaysian Hindus seems have no problem in consuming halal foods.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!