/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dreadlocks

Ibrahim_K
07-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Wa'salaam aleikum brother and sisters

I'm considering growing dreadlocks. Not because of any specific religious belief except islaam but because I find the hairstyle neat. Is it not permissable to grow dreadlocks?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibrahim_K
07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Excuse me brother but braided hairstyle is not the same as dreadlocks. Google for dreadlocks

AishaRayann
07-11-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm no expert..but i don't think it is..because the body suppose to be clean..if u have your hair in dread you cant clean every hair..when u wash...i would recommend no..but i would also say to ask someone with more knowledge than me.

GuestFellow
07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Salaam,

I have no idea. O_O

How about asking your local Imam?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ProudMuslimSis
07-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I have always been fascinated by dreadlocks so it was a pleasure to do some research for you on www.dreadlocks.com.

Rumor: You do not wash dreadlocks. Hair must be dirty to dread.
Fact: If you do not wash your hair it will stink. Dreadlocked hair needs to be washed regularly just like un-dreaded hair. You can wash dreads just as you would wash a sponge, by working the soap in and then squeezing and rinsing repeatedly to get all the soap out. Clean hair will actually lock up faster than dirty or oily hair. Because nearly every soap and shampoo on the market contains residues it was thought that clean hair does not dread quickly, when in fact it is the residues (conditioners, moisterizers, builders and fragrance holders) in the soaps that prevent hair from locking up. This is why we reccommend washing you dreads only in residue free soaps and shampoos.

peace_maker
07-13-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure if dreadlocks is permissible but, there is a hadeeth on praying with plaited hair that I'd like to share...
"Abdullah b. Abbas reported that he saw Abdullah b. Al Harith observing the prayer and (his hair) was plaited behind his head. He (Abdullah b. Abbas) stood up and unfolded them. While going back (from the prayer) he met Ibn Abbas and said to him: Why is it that you touched my head? He replied: (The man who observes prayer with plaited hair) is like one who prays with his hands tied behind.(sahih muslim)" (This maybe a weak hadeeth, in other stronger hadeeths, it is simply mentioned 'forbidden' without giving the reason.)

I don't know much about dreadlocks but, I think they can't be opened every time for prayer? If this is the case then I suggest you not to go for it.

Hamza Asadullah
07-14-2011, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azrael
Wa'salaam aleikum brother and sisters

I'm considering growing dreadlocks. Not because of any specific religious belief except islaam but because I find the hairstyle neat. Is it not permissable to grow dreadlocks?
Asalaamu Alaikum, there are two points here:

1. Imitation of unbelievers

2. Having to take out the dreadlocks in order for ghusl to be valid.

The first point is the most important here as it is clearly a style which is adopted by the unbelievers so it would come under being imitation of the unbelievers. So my brother i think it would be far better to safeguard oneself and avoid getting dreadlocks done because we will be raised among those we imitated.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Snowflake
07-17-2011, 06:11 PM
:sl:

Why don't you jus thave braids. This is allowed and our beloved prophet (saw) used to do it. Dreadlocks are different as it means never taking them out. Dreadlocks have a weird texture like a brillo pad made out of hair, and they don't particularly look attactive. Braids on the other hand do.

The Prophet (saw) wore braids..

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/69822

جوري
07-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I mean no offense here and this is my personal experience but I have never met anyone with dreadlocks who didn't have an odor about them so foul that could wake the dead and something bloody awful big or small crawling in their hair.. I don't know what sort of liniments and ointments they put in their hair to keep it in that style my suspicion is they never wash their hair. Whenever I have to deal with a person with dreadlocks my eyes just automatically water and the rest of my senses are equally disturbed. I'd urge you to reconsider such a style, I am not sure what is neat about it, maybe I am old fashioned and like clean cut individuals consider the many other styles that would make you equally stylish and neat if that is what you're going for..

waslamu 3lykoum wr wb

Reflections
07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
^ lol point to consider..keep a little distance from a person who has dreadlocks :/

Snowflake
07-17-2011, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I mean no offense here and this is my personal experience but I have never met anyone with dreadlocks who didn't have an odor about them so foul that could wake the dead and something bloody awful big or small crawling in their hair.. I don't know what sort of liniments and ointments they put in their hair to keep it in that style my suspicion is they never wash their hair. Whenever I have to deal with a person with dreadlocks my eyes just automatically water and the rest of my senses are equally disturbed. I'd urge you to reconsider such a style, I am not sure what is neat about it, maybe I am old fashioned and like clean cut individuals consider the many other styles that would make you equally stylish and neat if that is what you're going for..

waslamu 3lykoum wr wb
LOL I really like this! Reminds me of Dr Scarpetta!

GuestFellow
07-17-2011, 09:16 PM

waslamu 3lykoum wr wb

I personally don't have anything against dreadlocks, braids, weaves, extensions, wigs and so on lol. I don't like it when people colour their hair...they look weird. o__O

I met students with dreadlocks and they didn't smell. :/

جوري
07-17-2011, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
I don't like it when people colour their hair.
that is indeed another peeve of mine, especially when it's people whose ethnicity would never have imparted such a color on them.. eventually they all look brassy.. humans are always under the belief that they can outsmart God whether by altering color, or messing with economics or govt. with their own desired system and the end result is never good..
that being said, I'd love to meet someone with dreadlocks that didn't have said foul odor about them.. it is homogeneous, universal and a deadly weapon..

:w:

GuestFellow
07-17-2011, 10:48 PM

that is indeed another peeve of mine, especially when it's people whose ethnicity would never have imparted such a color on them.. eventually they all look brassy.. humans are always under the belief that they can outsmart God whether by altering color, or messing with economics or govt. with their own desired system and the end result is never good..
that being said, I'd love to meet someone with dreadlocks that didn't have said foul odor about them.. it is homogeneous, universal and a deadly weapon..

:w:

I remember students at college constantly changing their hair colour....it does look brassy.

Dreadlocks as a deadly weapon? :) Like a whip? lol

جوري
07-17-2011, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Like a whip?

no like this:
Germany: Man’s smelly feet trigger police raid

Posted on January 3, 2008 by Rod| Leave a comment
July 9, 2007
thatsjustnasty 1?w500 - BERLIN (Reuters) - German police broke into a darkened apartment fearing they would find a dead body, after neighbors complained of a nasty smell seeping out onto the staircase.
The shutters of the apartment had been closed for more than a week and the mailbox was filled with uncollected mail.
But instead of a corpse, they found a tenant with very smelly feet, asleep in bed next to a pile of foul-smelling laundry, police in the southwestern town of Kaiserslautern said on Sunday. (source)

Reflections
07-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Ew disgusting and that picture is disturbing.

GuestFellow
07-17-2011, 11:32 PM

no like this:

Posted on January 3, 2008 by Rod| Leave a comment
July 9, 2007BERLIN (Reuters) - German police broke into a darkened apartment fearing they would find a dead body, after neighbors complained of a nasty smell seeping out onto the staircase.
The shutters of the apartment had been closed for more than a week and the mailbox was filled with uncollected mail.
But instead of a corpse, they found a tenant with very smelly feet, asleep in bed next to a pile of foul-smelling laundry, police in the southwestern town of Kaiserslautern said on Sunday. (source)
Salaam,

Wow....I never expected that! ;D

Kas1m
07-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Disturbing picture.

Plus when you do ghusl every part of your body musy be thoroughly washed and cleaned.

ardianto
07-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Dreadlocks ?. It's remind me to Rasta men.

In my place, dreadlocks haired people are known as Reggae fans. And according to my nephew, they use wood glue for their dreadlocks hairs.

Ibrahim_K
07-21-2011, 09:29 AM
In fact, we "white" people get dreadlocks merely by not combing the hair. Same with black people although for them it gets faster.

Ibrahim_K
07-21-2011, 09:32 AM
To get dreadlocks you merely dont comb it, and it tassles by itself after a while. It takes a little longer for caucasians and a little faster for black people. I'm not into rastafarism at all although I like reggae music. It's not reggae music that makes me want to have dreadlocks, I've considered it for a long period. Even the old hebrews who took the nazarete wove (spelling unsure, not english) grew dreadlocks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!