/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Leadership in Islam

Who Am I?
07-23-2011, 09:09 AM

:sl:

This has been weighing heavily on my mind recently.

I have a question for anyone who might know an answer: what are some good qualities of leadership?

I know that in Islam, the men are supposed to be the leaders of their family and their community. I admit that is a concept that I am not familiar with. I have always done my own thing and I have always valued my independence very highly. I'm not used to having others rely on me for guidance and support.

This is something that I have to learn, so I need to know where to start. If I am to eventually lead my own house (assuming I get my own house), how do I do this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
08-12-2011, 04:52 AM

I'm no scholar. I only became a Muslim a few months ago but this is my opinion. My advice to you brother is to stick to the deen as living your life for the sake of Allah will help you become a good leader. First thing first is that you need to have yourself together before you can begin to provide guidance and support for others. Islam is the way to do that.

I believe that patience is a great quality of leadership. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (saws) is the great model to follow. I recommend that you learn more about his life and teachings and take him as an example as a great leader in addition to all of the other prophets, peace be upon them.

For now, do not focus so much on what could be as there is no guarantee of tomorrow. You have no house now. You have started a new life as a Muslim so for now, work on learning the deen and improving yourself first. Pray for others of course but continue increasing your knowledge about Islam and you will learn along the way. Allah (swt) knows best. :)

ardianto
08-12-2011, 02:23 PM

One dark night, Caliph Umar Ibn Abdul Azis was still working in his office. He used an oil lamp to help him worked in the dark. Then a guest came and asked permission to meet him. Caliph Umar invited him to his room. However, when that guest entered his room, Caliph Umar turned off the oil lamp, and they talked in the dark.

After that guest had gone, one staff asked him "Yaa Amirul Mukminin, why you turned off the oil lamp when that guest entered your room ?". And Caliph Umar answered "That guest is my relative, he comes to me to talk about private business. This oil lamp is belong to the state, and I cannot use state property in my private business".

This is one feature of Muslims leader. Not corrupt.

Who Am I?
08-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

I am trying to better myself, because if I'm not happy with who I am, I can't be happy at all. I know that I need to become a better man, and I pray every day that Allah will show me the way to do that. I am dealing with some issues in my life right now so this is not an easy time, but it is something that I must do. For myself and for Allah...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Futuwwa
09-04-2011, 11:39 PM
The best leaders are those who lead by example, and who are always first into the breach.

bsyed
09-05-2011, 12:42 AM
May Allah give us all the best in this world and the next. Ameen

SFatima
09-10-2011, 10:45 AM
One need not worry about leading the house members, as long as one fears Allah swt and strives to be on the right path, If you will look for guidance , Allah will take your matters in His hands, and you don't have to worry about them. This is one of the main concepts of Islam, worry about your deen and Allah swt will straighten out your duniya ( the worldly life) may Allah swt be with you ,ameen. e.g

I used to worry a lot about sustenance at some point and used to think about it all the time, but then when I read in the Quran that Allah swt even feeds the minutest of organisms on this Earth, why do I need to worry about it all the time and waste my time in useless worry, if it will come It will, if it wont, it wont, I should have patience, why worry? So don't worry, be happy :D

(oh by the way, the sustenance increased itself alhamulilah, after a couple of yrs, It just taught me a lot how to be patient, taught me compassion and empathy for those who survived in much less, and how to rely on Allah swt for the smallest of things :) )

Who Am I?
09-10-2011, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
One need not worry about leading the house members, as long as one fears Allah swt and strives to be on the right path, If you will look for guidance , Allah will take your matters in His hands, and you don't have to worry about them. This is one of the main concepts of Islam, worry about your deen and Allah swt will straighten out your duniya ( the worldly life) may Allah swt be with you ,ameen. e.g

I used to worry a lot about sustenance at some point and used to think about it all the time, but then when I read in the Quran that Allah swt even feeds the minutest of organisms on this Earth, why do I need to worry about it all the time and waste my time in useless worry, if it will come It will, if it wont, it wont, I should have patience, why worry? So don't worry, be happy :D

(oh by the way, the sustenance increased itself alhamulilah, after a couple of yrs, It just taught me a lot how to be patient, taught me compassion and empathy for those who survived in much less, and how to rely on Allah swt for the smallest of things :) )

I talked to the imam at masjid last night and he said pretty much the same thing. Just ask Allah to help me and He will guide me. I have a lot to learn before I can be the kind of man that I am supposed to be. I know this. But inshallah, I can do what I need to do and be the man I am supposed to be.

SFatima
09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Go KON, go!:ace:it! dont say "i have be' say 'I am '.( like my nephew says)

Abz2000
09-12-2011, 08:47 PM
once it happens, it feels normal, you watch the kids grow, play with them, buy things for them, eat with them, sometimes sacrifice for them, it begins to feel like you've always done it, but it doesn't feel like you've got less just because you spend less on yourself - they fill a void you never knew was there.

On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns.
"Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith."

Quran 2:286
hasten brother.

MartyrX
09-12-2011, 09:10 PM
You will get through an troubling time you have. You must have faith and patience. Do what you can do for yourself today. Make your first goal in becoming a better Muslim and bettering yourself. Then worry about becoming a leader to your family.

Who Am I?
09-12-2011, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
You will get through an troubling time you have. You must have faith and patience. Do what you can do for yourself today. Make your first goal in becoming a better Muslim and bettering yourself. Then worry about becoming a leader to your family.

Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to do now. I tried to do too much at first, and I got overwhelmed and burnt out. I had to take a step back and clear my head. Now I just try to do one thing a day in my journey to self-improvement. It may take years before I am where I want to be. I may never get there. But I have to try.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!