/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I like Islam but this....

SFatima
08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
A common dilemma faced by muslims that they like portions of Islam that suit their liking and leave those which seem un-likable to them initially atleast... Addressed here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HyR3...feature=relmfu

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
08-04-2011, 07:01 PM
:sl:

SFatima, how you been, sister?

It's like that with every religion. I know Christians that do the same thing. They cherry pick the parts of the Bible that they like and live by those, and ignore the rest because they don't like it/don't agree with it.

Indeed, I have been guilty of it myself in my past.

Grace Seeker
08-04-2011, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King of Nines

It's like that with every religion. I know Christians that do the same thing. They cherry pick the parts of the Bible that they like and live by those, and ignore the rest because they don't like it/don't agree with it.

Sadly, that is true. This only partly tongue-in-cheek passage speaks to that reality:

When I was a child, my sister once said to me, "Mom said to clean your room."

I told her, "I believe you're misquoting my mother."

Whenever someone says something you don't like, just claim they;re being misquoted. This guy name Bart Elhrman wrote a book titled "Misquoting Jesus" because, apparently, Jesus told him to clean his room. Bart is a former youth group member who now makes a living weakening the faith of believers and their pets. (I can only assume that the pets inherit the faith of their guardians.) He's a former evangelical, a lapsed insider now attacking the faith from without. I just think he's an enlarged apostate, which I believe means he has to go to the bathroom a lot.

(from "A Comedian's Guide To Theology" by Thor Ramsey)

Who Am I?
08-05-2011, 02:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Sadly, that is true. This only partly tongue-in-cheek passage speaks to that reality:
Well as I said, when I was a Christian, I was guilty of the same thing. I justified living my life the way I wanted to because "the Bible said I could." I am not exempting myself from this.

It's something I am trying to correct, but it hasn't been easy, I admit...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SFatima
08-05-2011, 09:47 AM

SFatima, how you been, sister?

Indeed, I have been guilty of it myself in my past.
:wa:
I'm alhamdulilah good, enjoying ramadhan, hope you're enjoying it too, how is it going so far?

And hey why are you angry? ( your mood says that, hope everything ok, or its just that not having food is making you loose patience :giggling: )

Starrynight
08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't think people are always picking and choosing. Sometimes it comes down to differing opinions on interpretations of topics.

But yes, blatantly picking and choosing when it comes to the 5 pillars is not okay, especially since they are crystal clear in Islam.

Who Am I?
08-05-2011, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
I'm alhamdulilah good, enjoying ramadhan, hope you're enjoying it too, how is it going so far?

And hey why are you angry? ( your mood says that, hope everything ok, or its just that not having food is making you loose patience :giggling: )

It's been rough, no lie. The first couple of days I was sick so I didn't fast. But the last two days I have fasted. It's not the lack of food, but the lack of liquid that's the killer. When I'm at work on the phone talking all day, my throat gets really dry.

The anger thing.. well that goes back to before Ramadan, but not eating certainly has not helped. I have some ongoing issues that I am dealing with. But I am going to see a professional next week...

SFatima
08-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Another lecture about the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W6m28wXgs8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU4Nh...feature=relmfu

SFatima
08-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Another great lecture on Tools of satan, which specifies how shaitan tries to corrupt our thinking and puts doubts and excuses into us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLMHjWz7X-E&feature=related

A
lways pray more when you are attacked by the shaitan, his doubts and tricks, there are many duas for it, will put them in a thread soon InshAllah. There is a hadith which says something like that "A proper salah prevents from shamelessness and doubts" work on your salah, establish it with more effort and try and put in focus into it by learning the meaning of the arabic and trying to recall it when you pray. And pray to Allah swt.

remember, be steadfast, no matter what. Ask for Allah swt's help, beg Him to make you steadfast, it is the only thing in deen, steadfastness in our deen, hold on tight! May Allah swt be with all you in all your difficulties and may you be protected from the deviousness of the shaitan. Recite the Quran everyday! Even if its a few verses,just try to recite them and look up their meanings in english too. Fi amanillah.

SFatima
09-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Bump* :D :D (why 12 characters?:/)

Ramadhan
09-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Bump* (why 12 characters?:/)
So people don't easily abuse the "bump"
<_<

Danah
09-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I know people who know that they are doing something haram yet they like to fool around and looking for a fatwa (verdict) and twist it in a tricky way to justify their doing. Sometimes they misinterpret/misquote a Quranic or a Hadeeth text when they know its real meaning just to serve their own needs. This is just to explain themselves to people when they get asked why they behave that way ^o)

SFatima
09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
And then there are those who are like " there is no god but Allah and islam is the truth" and then they're on like

And I love alcohol, homosexuals ,my boyfriend and pork :hmm: (and hate everyone who tries to tell me that these things are not acceptable in Islam, Allah knows me and my heart !)

Not speaking of recent muslims, one can understand where they stand, but it is particularly annoying when it comes from people who say we're good muslims and Islam is not about all these things, but beyond. :p:

Danah
09-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Allah knows me and my heart !)
Now this is one of the most statements I hate when its used in a wrong way. You see a female dressing in a way that has nothing to do with modesty whatsoever, and then she comes to you saying that..."Allah knows me and my heart" "Allah is looking at the hearts not the bodies"!!!
Well, yeah Allah knows you and your heart dear, but its a part of your worship and faith (which supposed to be in your heart too) to dress modestly ^o)

We are all wrong doers, may Allah save us and keep us on the right path.

SFatima
09-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Indeed we are, may Allah subhano talla protect us from fitnah and make our eeman stronger and our deeds virtuous, and may He accept our deeds and niyyah, ammeen

Who Am I?
09-23-2011, 09:30 PM
And then there are those who are like " there is no god but Allah and islam is the truth" and then they're on like

And I love alcohol, homosexuals ,my boyfriend and pork :hmm: (and hate everyone who tries to tell me that these things are not acceptable in Islam, Allah knows me and my heart !)

Not speaking of recent muslims, one can understand where they stand, but it is particularly annoying when it comes from people who say we're good muslims and Islam is not about all these things, but beyond. :p:

I was this guy for a long time. I called myself a Christian, yet I got drunk every weekend, did drugs, and chased women (and sometimes caught them). I talked the talk, but I didn't walk the walk.

Look, it's not about not doing this or not doing that. It's about wanting to become a better person. It's about trying to be the best that you can to your fellow man and becoming the person you're supposed to be. Now yes, part of that is not drinking, not doing drugs, lowering your gaze, etc, but that's not all of it. You can do not all of those things and still be a jerk. You can do all of those things and still be a decent person (just a misguided one). But in the end, this life is a test, to see who will become who they are supposed to be, and who will piss their life away in misery and self-loathing (as I did for many years).

It took me 35 years to figure that out. I feel like my life is starting over at this point. Act 1 was me pissing my life away in pursuit of meaningless things. Act 2 is where the main character (me) becomes the man he is supposed to be before he dies, inshallah.

SFatima
09-24-2011, 05:14 AM

I was this guy for a long time. I called myself a Christian, yet I got drunk every weekend, did drugs, and chased women (and sometimes caught them). I talked the talk, but I didn't walk the walk.

Look, it's not about not doing this or not doing that. It's about wanting to become a better person. It's about trying to be the best that you can to your fellow man and becoming the person you're supposed to be. Now yes, part of that is not drinking, not doing drugs, lowering your gaze, etc, but that's not all of it. You can do not all of those things and still be a jerk. You can do all of those things and still be a decent person (just a misguided one). But in the end, this life is a test, to see who will become who they are supposed to be, and who will piss their life away in misery and self-loathing (as I did for many years).

It took me 35 years to figure that out. I feel like my life is starting over at this point. Act 1 was me pissing my life away in pursuit of meaningless things. Act 2 is where the main character (me) becomes the man he is supposed to be before he dies, inshallah.

Yes mashAllah you are right.. : ) Actually the kind of people that me and danah were talking about are people that you haven't probably come across , so it may seem to you that a struggling muslim is being talked about here, No actually.. This is the kind ( the some moderate/liberal birgade of born muslims etc) which isn't struggling at all, but adamant that it is the 'righteous one' without using any source to the Quran and Sunnah, and best at twisting things to their own understanding..

But off corse, I think most of us go through that stage in our lives, and it is only by the grace and blessing of Allah subhanao talla that makes us realize somehow that we are wrong, otherwise if it were on us, we would never really realize anything...It isn't much to talk about either, but sometimes these kinds do push their stuff on you cleverly which may baffle a new muslim, a weak or a struggling muslim and it may really confuse him, because he might not know why a born muslim is talking in a way which may seem intellectual or intelligent, but it isn't congruent to the spirit of islam or its practises, at all.

Danah
09-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Look, it's not about not doing this or not doing that. It's about wanting to become a better person
Can't agree more!
May Allah purify our intentions and make the right and wrong so clear to us and guide us always to the true path.

alluminati
10-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Sorry to intrude but the video was taken down.

Signor
10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
We want to pick what we wants and spit the other,Islam doesn't works that way,it provides a complete code of conduct for life.So either someone can accept it or reject it choice is yours

Grace Seeker
10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by InsaneIcon
We want to pick what we wants and spit the other,Islam doesn't works that way,it provides a complete code of conduct for life.So either someone can accept it or reject it choice is yours
So, not accusing, just searching for understanding. Would those who believe and behave this way -- rather than submitting to all that Allah has ordained instead seek to establish their own list of what they will submit to and what they will not submit to -- would such individuals be still considered Muslims? Bad Muslims? Unsubmissive Muslims? (Is there even such a thing?) Or, perhaps, not Muslim at all? I ask this because I know that generally Muslims do not believe it their place to judge other Muslims, that right belonging to Allah alone. But is there a limit, a place for saying, "Enough is enough, you don't even seek to truly practice Islam; quit dishonoring our religion by falsely using our name."?

Flame of Hope
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Islam is a way of life adopted by people who accept the Truth that there is no one worthy of worship but Allah and that Muhammad (saws) is His messenger.

We look to the Qur'an and the example of the Prophet (saws) for guidance.

But we cannot follow that guidance if we have no understanding. Understanding is only attained when knowledge is sought and this seeking of knowledge has to be done on an individual basis. In other words, a person cannot rely on someone else to do the knowledge-seeking for him.

Until a person desires to know and understand, he will remain in the darkness of ignorance.

When a person acquires knowledge and understanding, he will reach the level of the mu'min... the true believer. He will not pick and choose what he wants to follow in Islam.

But reaching that level TAKES TIME.

Each person learns at his or her own pace. And learning does involve making many mistakes.... including the mistake of picking and choosing what in Islam you want to follow or don't want to follow.

I don't think people should be criticized or condemned if they make that mistake.

Sunnie Ameena
10-10-2011, 01:27 PM
I know I make plenty mistakes, but I also know that Allah will guide me through them. It is much better to make mistakes trying to learn all I can about Islam, than to not even try to learn. Allah is with me through it all. Sunnie

.iman.
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I enjoyed the part about those who areconsistent, mashAllah great point. Whenever we encounter hardships,we are constantly faced with our hypocrisy and want to give up. Iknow I have faced this myself and it was hard to come to terms withsubmitting 100%... it's not easy for me. I have learned you can'tpick and choose which parts of Islam you want to practice and neglectthe other parts because they don't fit your lifestyle, or you don'tagree.... because that isn't Islam. al hamdoulilah Allah has helpedme through that transition to accepting that.

subhanAllah when I think about all ofthe hardships faced by our Prophet (SAWS) and people of his time,compared to my personal struggles... it puts things in perspective!

Sunnie- are you Muslim? Your avatar says Christianity, so I was just wondering.

Signor
10-11-2011, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
So, not accusing, just searching for understanding. Would those who believe and behave this way -- rather than submitting to all that Allah has ordained instead seek to establish their own list of what they will submit to and what they will not submit to -- would such individuals be still considered Muslims? Bad Muslims? Unsubmissive Muslims? (Is there even such a thing?) Or, perhaps, not Muslim at all? I ask this because I know that generally Muslims do not believe it their place to judge other Muslims, that right belonging to Allah alone. But is there a limit, a place for saying, "Enough is enough, you don't even seek to truly practice Islam; quit dishonoring our religion by falsely using our name."?
Assalam o Alaykum

I can't dishonour anyone that you are using Islam's name for your own sake.My humble opinion is that muslim is either practicing,semi-practicing or non practicing.one should try to learn at least,Allah helps those who help themselves,HE never changed the condition of those who don't want to change them selves.
Btw,sorry for late replying

Regards

InsaneIcon

Sunnie Ameena
10-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Yes I am Muslim. Sorry I did change my avatar. I thought I did. I will go do that now. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Sunnie

.iman.
10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunnie
Yes I am Muslim. Sorry I did change my avatar. I thought I did. I will go do that now. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Sunnie
mashAllah, congrats for your conversion, May Allah protect you. I *thought* you were Muslim but I was just confused, LOL.

Sunnie Ameena
10-13-2011, 03:04 PM
It is very hard to learn by myself. I wish I had some sister's close to my home, so I can talk to them face to face and maybe I would not get so comfused. But I will keep striving to learn.

- Malak -
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Yes, I agree. What Allah ask us to do it is should not be judged by our desire. we should follow it. specially when we talk about Salah for example. you are not muslim if you are not pray ^o)

Marina-Aisha
11-07-2011, 07:01 PM
i think every faith everyone picks and chooses want they want...islam/any religion is hard but wots the point in folllowing if ur not submitting urself fully? ps thanks for the link :)

Signor
12-26-2011, 02:46 PM
In Islam,it is meant to submit your will upon Allah/God's will

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!