/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab dilema

Thuraya Noran Y
08-16-2011, 01:29 AM
:sl:
I'm a 15 year old new revert. I'm the only one in my family muslim and for the most part My family has taken the news well. The only problem I get form them is that my parents do not want me to go to the masjid or Wear my hijab outside the house.:nervous: :cry:I really want to wear my hijab :'(and have done a lot to try and get them to change their minds. Can anyone give me advice on this or on what to do now?:inshallah It would be much appreciated. JazakAllahu Khayran.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
08-16-2011, 01:47 AM
:wa:

Welcome to Islam :D

so nice to know a young girl like u embraced Islam and want to cover urself properly , Alhamdulillah.

If your family members are Christians , u can tell them Mother Mary pbuh always wore veil. Cathloc nuns always wear veil. Bible tells women to cover hair else shave head .

keep praying to Allah to soften their hearts. InshaAllah it will be easy for u to follow Islam.

Take care of yourself little sis :statisfie

Riana17
08-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Salam Alaikkum,

First of all my big mabrook to you inshallah, such a good news that ISLAM appeals to you, you must be very good heart to be guided by our one & only Creator. May Allah bless you more and love you forever Amen.

Sister Muslimah is correct, you must try to bring it in diplomatic way, Allah told us not to upset our parents, perhaps you shouldnt give up & try harder for Allah really instructed us to wear hijab and its feels so good to wear Hijab :) Maybe when your parents proved your sincerity then they will understand & let go of this. They love you for sure and they only wants the best for you, so you must well explain why you love to wear hijab...

Ya Rabb, may Allah made them a real Muslim people too and the rest of your family. Amen

Salahudeen
08-16-2011, 04:50 PM
As others have mentioned perhaps you could draw comparisons with how a nun dresses and show them that there's nothing wrong with it. And how the bible commands it also. If they don't I guess the only thing you can do for now is dress modestly.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-16-2011, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thuraya Noran Y
I'm a 15 year old new revert. I'm the only one in my family muslim and for the most part My family has taken the news well. The only problem I get form them is that my parents do not want me to go to the masjid or Wear my hijab outside the house.:nervous: :cry:I really want to wear my hijab :'(and have done a lot to try and get them to change their minds. Can anyone give me advice on this or on what to do now?:inshallah It would be much appreciated. JazakAllahu Khayran.
Wa Alaaykum As'Salaam

masha'Allaah at you wanting to wear hijaab.

I agree with what everyone said, explain to them the purpose of hijaab, dont worry, hardships will come, Allaah is testing you. Tell them that you dont have to wear the scarf in the house but rather outside, you dont men gazing at you, ask them to justify the reasons, are they good or bad what you are doing. Your protecting your beauty, most importantly doing it for Allaah..

Ask Allaah to open there hearts, and to let them atleast understand the decisions your making, you are also in my du'aas/prayers..

Thuraya Noran Y
08-16-2011, 07:49 PM
:wa:
Ameen sum Ameen. Thank you all.I have tried most of these tactics but to no avail. I told them the importance of Hijab and explained why I should wear it. I read sections of the Qur'an and the bible stating the wearing of hijab too. I didn't tell them about the nuns or Mother Mary so I will try these. They don't understand the concept of modesty in the term of Islam because they are still buying short skirts,tight pants and sleeveless shirts for me which I refuse to wear. I am making lots of Dua for them for Allah(SWT) to soften their hearts towards Islam.:inshallah they will soon understand and turn towards Islam as well.

Abz2000
08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
google "virgin mary" and click "images" - and show that to them

- make sure strict filtering is on!!!

Thuraya Noran Y
08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abz2000
google "virgin mary" and click "images" - and show that to them

- make sure strict filtering is on!!!
Ok I'll do that now Insha'Allah.

Just_A_Girl13
08-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Asalaamu alaikum sister,

I am a new revert as well (I became Muslim in June, alhamdulillah), and my parents don't allow me to wear the hijab either. I will be sure to remember you in my duaas. :) Remember that it might take time for you to convince them. You needn't feel pressure to begin wearing the hijab immediately. Try going to the store with them and asking them to buy Kosher or halal meat instead of regular, or a long-sleeved tee-shirt instead of a sleeveless one. Making small adjustments such as these will help them to realize that you're still the same daughter that they raised, you're just making better choices. Also, you should ask them what their concern is. They might have a good reason why they don't want you to wear it. For instance, my parents told me that they were afraid it would be difficult for me to find work once I finish school. Inshallah if you take it slow, you will give your parents and yourself more time to get used to it.

Peace and blessings be with you, and welcome to our big happy family :D

Thuraya Noran Y
08-16-2011, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Asalaamu alaikum sister,

I am a new revert as well (I became Muslim in June, alhamdulillah), and my parents don't allow me to wear the hijab either. I will be sure to remember you in my duaas. :) Remember that it might take time for you to convince them. You needn't feel pressure to begin wearing the hijab immediately. Try going to the store with them and asking them to buy Kosher or halal meat instead of regular, or a long-sleeved tee-shirt instead of a sleeveless one. Making small adjustments such as these will help them to realize that you're still the same daughter that they raised, you're just making better choices. Also, you should ask them what their concern is. They might have a good reason why they don't want you to wear it. For instance, my parents told me that they were afraid it would be difficult for me to find work once I finish school. Inshallah if you take it slow, you will give your parents and yourself more time to get used to it.

Peace and blessings be with you, and welcome to our big happy family :D
Wa alaykum assalamu. Masha'Allah.They will not listen about the adjustment of my clothing and they still buy haram meat in the house, so most times I go without eating. They don't have a good reason for me not to wear hijab. I asked my mother once and she said she just doesn't like seeing me in it. I don't feel pressured into wearing hijab. it's my choice and I want to wear it.
Thank you. :D

Just_A_Girl13
08-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Salaam sis,

It should also be noted that in Islam, you only go to limits. So if your parents never bought you Kosher/halal meat and you had nothing to eat, it would be obligatory upon you to eat to keep yourself healthy, even if you had to eat some haraam meat. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'm sure your parents will come around eventually, inshallah, you just have to give them time. My parents are still behaving in quite a hostile way towards me and Islam, and it's been two months. So just do the best you can and Allah (swt) will take care of the rest. :)

Peace

Abz2000
08-16-2011, 10:05 PM
regarding sister justagirl13's comment, i would tend to disagree as this verse refers to being forced by necessity, ie when you would starve to death and there is nothing else to eat, i'm sure the sister has bread, vegetables, fish fingers etc at home so i would strongly advise against it, as breaking barriers becomes easy and feels light the more you do it, and it's very easy to for any human to give themselves excuses (myself included) but it is a lot more difficult to struggle - which is what we are rewarded for,
peace,

these videos can also be helpful

kim's video (1st one) - is my favourite, show that one to your mum:

Just_A_Girl13
08-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Salaam,

Yes, I'm sorry I was unclear. I wasn't suggesting that she should eat haraam meat whenever she likes, I was just saying that there's no reason why she should go hungry all the time.

Peace

Thuraya Noran Y
08-16-2011, 10:33 PM
regarding sister justagirl13's comment, i would tend to disagree as this verse refers to being forced by necessity, ie when you would starve to death and there is nothing else to eat, i'm sure the sister has bread, vegetables, fish fingers etc at home so i would strongly advise against it, as breaking barriers becomes easy and feels light the more you do it, and it's very easy to for any human to give themselves excuses (myself included) but it is a lot more difficult to struggle - which is what we are rewarded for,
peace,

these videos can also be helpful

kim's video (1st one) - is my favourite, show that one to your mum:
Ah thank You I will use these. Shukran.

Abz2000
08-17-2011, 01:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Just_A_Girl13
Salaam,

Yes, I'm sorry I was unclear. I wasn't suggesting that she should eat haraam meat whenever she likes, I was just saying that there's no reason why she should go hungry all the time.

Peace
we are all human and we learn as we go along sister, and our views change as we learn more, I like your one step at a time approach also though as it shows it's not a teenage phase you'll burn out from and something you take the time to think about, and to the new sis - this one is FUNNY!

You can find more of his videos on YouTube by searching deedat debate

peace

Thuraya Noran Y
08-17-2011, 02:38 AM
and to the new sis - this one is FUNNY!
haha Thank you.

Muslim Woman
08-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Women in Islam Versus Women in the Judaeo-Christian Tradition
The Myth and The Reality

By: Sherif Abdel Azim, Ph.D.- Queens University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

PART 15 - THE VEIL ?....it was the custom of Jewish women to go out in public with a head covering which, sometimes, even covered the whole face leaving one eye free.

...Rabbinic law forbids the recitation of blessings or prayers in the presence of a bareheaded married woman since uncovering the woman's hair is considered "nudity"

...Catholic Nuns have been covering their heads for hundreds of years......St. Tertullian in his famous treatise 'On The Veiling Of Virgins' wrote, "Young women, you wear your veils out on the streets, so you should wear them in the church, you wear them when you are among strangers, then wear them among your brothers..."
http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/w_islam/veil.htm

Muslim Woman
08-17-2011, 04:25 AM

another good article.

The Veil in Christianity

A common misconception is that Muslim women are the only ones who cover their hair. It may be true that Islam is the only religion in which most women follow its directives to cover the hair, but it is not the only religion to have such directives.
It is particularly interesting to look at the case of Christianity, since Christianity is the predominant religion in the West, and it is Westerners, including observant Christians, who are often the first to criticize Islam because of the hijab (modest dress, including headcovering).

Is Covering the Hair a Religious Commandment for Christian Women?
There can be only one answer to this: yes, it is!
http://www.muhajabah.com/christianveil.htm

Abz2000
08-20-2011, 08:04 PM
63And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, the camels were coming.
64And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.
65For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master:

therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.

66And the servant told Isaac all things that he had done. 67And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

Genesis 24:63-67

Galaxy
08-20-2011, 08:29 PM

You should ask them why they wouldn't let you wear hijaab or go to the masjid. I can imagine the reason why they wouldn't let you do those things can be easily refuted. In the meantime, try to cover yourself as much as you can. Inshaa Allaah ta'aalaaa you will be able to follow Islaam!

Thuraya Noran Y
08-21-2011, 12:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Galaxy

You should ask them why they wouldn't let you wear hijaab or go to the masjid. I can imagine the reason why they wouldn't let you do those things can be easily refuted. In the meantime, try to cover yourself as much as you can. Inshaa Allaah ta'aalaaa you will be able to follow Islaam!
:wa: I have already asked, and they do not have a good reason. They just don't want me to wear it.

bamboozled
08-22-2011, 12:47 AM
we are all human and we learn as we go along sister, and our views change as we learn more, I like your one step at a time approach also though as it shows it's not a teenage phase you'll burn out from and something you take the time to think about, and to the new sis - this one is FUNNY!

You can find more of his videos on YouTube by searching deedat debate

peace
I LOVE AHMED DEEDAT!!

It should be made illegal not to watch his videos lol, he is such a blessed man mashAllah!!

Sumaiya54
04-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Aslamu Aleikum Sister,

I wouldn't rush on hijab. I would just wear a scarf around your neck to cover the neck and wear full sleeves/long pants. But going to the Masjid, you should make it as easy as possible for your parents. Arrange a ride from someone else, dont stay for a very long time, and explain to your parents how it will help you and why it is important to you.

Salaam :)

dqsunday
04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Many women wear scarves around their necks or even over their heads, covering their ears. Its not the full coverage of a hijab, but common enough among Western women that it doesn't pick them out as Muslim or any other religion, just a fashion accessory, or, if in areas that go get cold (ie like most of Canada and northern US during the winter) knit scarves are worn to keep ears from freezing off.

Start just wearing a scarf around the neck in a typical 'fashion assessory' manner. See how your folks feel about this.

I would not worry about going to the Masjid, till you are 16. In the meantime, meet other Sisters around your age, maybe from school or the local community and befriend them. Invite them over and their families or see if their families will invite you and your parents. Maybe meeting Muslims who they can ask questions of and learn more, would set their worries aside. Many people think Muslim women wear hijab because their fathers/husbands force them to. From what I have learn in my own research, this isn't the case. No more than husbands and fathers would want their children/wives walking around topless and 'force' them to wear a shirt or simply clothes in general.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!