/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Gifts

ummibby
08-30-2011, 11:17 PM
As-salamu alaikum

On the day of the nikah is it usual for the bride and groom to exchange gifts?

If so, then what kind of thing would be given?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
08-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Wa' alaikumsalam.

Depend on the culture, sis. There are societies which exchange gifts is usual, there are societies which exchange gifts is unusual. But if you are living in a society which exchange gifts is usual, it's better if you follow this custom. And what gift you need to give ?. You can ask the knowledgeable people in your society.

kingkong
08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
In our culture, just the man buys the woman gifts. It tends to be some form of jewellery. This is not the stuff she actually wears on the wedding, but some additional stuff. Usually around £150-£500 worth depending on what the guy can afford.

جوري
08-31-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think it is a bad idea for both parties to exchange remembering the hadith 'tahado wa ta7abo' http://www.islamweb.net/newlibrary/d...hp?idfrom=1868
meaning gift each other and love one another .. of course the hadith is general and not necessarily just for marrying couples.. but I like it.. gifting people for a reason or no reason is a lovely thing to do me thinkus..

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazalah
08-31-2011, 11:21 PM
I've been to a couple of weddings where on the invitation card they ask for a specific present, and it's always been household goods because the new couple will be moving into a new house :hmm: saves them loads of money I suppose :giggling:

Abz2000
09-01-2011, 03:09 AM
i think it's a great idea, these days i give english translations of the Quran an hadith books - since they may change their whole lives, and -on that day- realise that it was the best gift of the lot.
and giving it to your future spouse has double benefit.....you get to read it yourself!
you loaded and wanna give an expensive gift?
how about tickets to 'Umra in ramadan. they'll appreciate it more than anything else - and you'll get rewards on the sly :sunny:

noorseeker
09-01-2011, 06:18 AM
I think theyve exchanged thousands of pounds worth of gifts already before the big day, namely the clothes they are wearing
So wouldnt think they would want more ^o)

ardianto
09-02-2011, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
I've been to a couple of weddings where on the invitation card they ask for a specific present, and it's always been household goods because the new couple will be moving into a new house saves them loads of money I suppose
Dengan tidak mengurangi rasa hormat, kami akan sangat berterimakasih jika hadiah yang anda berikan tidak dalam bentuk barang"

(with no due respect, we would be very grateful if the gift that you give is not in the form of goods)

That is message that written on a paper in every wedding invitation card in Indonesia. Including in my wedding invitation card too. :D

Do you know ?, many new couples and their parents in Indonesia expect to get money bigger than their wedding cost. That's why, sometime I think wedding party in Indonesia is like a show business.

By the way, there was a true story. A father from Minang ethnic married his daughter to a guy. He ordered a wedding organizer to hold the wedding party. But after the party he sued that event organizer to the court. Reported asked him, and he gave an answer. "I am very disappointed ! that wedding organizer told me, they could bring in many guests !, but were where they ? only small numbers of guests who came to the party. And the money that I got was not enough to cover the wedding cost ! I got loss !"

Revert 2010
09-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Salaam, I would give them a sliver frame with a picture of myself with two thumbs up, lol kidding, I would probably give them money. No doubt couples end up with a million toasters and kettles and irons.

Re.TiReD
09-17-2011, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummibby
As-salamu alaikum

On the day of the nikah is it usual for the bride and groom to exchange gifts?

If so, then what kind of thing would be given?
Wa'alaykum as-salam

I don't know if it's 'usual' but it was done on the day of the Nikah :wub: Alhamdulillah

Rings could be exchanged? And/or any other piece of jewellery for the wife? Maybe a watch or Itr/perfume for the dude =P

Wassalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!