/* */

View Full Version : Quranism?

Darth Ultor
09-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Read an article on Wikipedia about a Muslim denomination that only uses the Quran as a source to follow and does not include the Sunnah or Hadith. But doesn't Islam say to follow the word of the prophets?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
09-30-2011, 05:05 PM
i guess the quran mentions of specific prophets and all the prophets pbut.
in regards to following(in religion) it says to follow the prophet muhammed pbuh.

depends, how much guidance and understanding can a person achieve by just following the sunnah and hadiths?

the prophet pbuh was the walking talking quran, his ways were the ways of the quran.

i fail to see where the separation is?
the prophet pbuh left this world.. people started forgetting instantly.

i understand that some might say his character is not preserved in the quran, so what exactly is the quran then?

im not saying that those that accept hadith are wrong or that not accepting hadith is acceptable, what i can say is that those that would depose the quran or lessen its importance definitely need to think about what they are doing.

i followed the sunnah,

grew a beard... threads about what sort of beard is acceptable

asked wife for silver ring... misconceptions everywhere

did not dress like anybody in particular.. these days you tell me who the role model is?
..cant really do that, so just dont dress like the badguys.

the stories and history of the prophet pbuh can do much to stir people, but the quran was sent guide you to the path.. everybody walks there own path.

im a servant of allah swt, at the most an insolent one by my own reflection. it is up to allah swt is he accepts my actions or not.

so you might have to think about your own question as well as the things you read and hear about.. guidance and understanding, it differs in everybody...

but you know if you step towards allah swt he steps towards you and if you run towards him he will run towards you.

those that chase guidance for the sake of getting closer to allah swt could/can find no better way than the quran, the hadith cannot replace the prophet pbuh..in my opinion.

Scimitar
09-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Wikipedia... nuff said lol

marwen
09-30-2011, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
But doesn't Islam say to follow the word of the prophets?
That's correct. The Qur'an says it :

وَمَا آتَاكُمُ الرَّسُولُ فَخُذُوهُ وَمَا نَهَاكُمْ عَنْهُ فَانتَهُوا الحشر 7
... And whatsoever the messenger giveth you, take it. And whatsoever he forbiddeth, abstain (from it). [Al-Hashr - 7]

أَطِيعُواْ اللّهَ وَأَطِيعُواْ الرَّسُولَ وَأُوْلِي الأَمْرِ مِنكُمْ.. النساء 59
O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and those of you who are in authority; ... [An-Nisa' - 59]

I don't understand how those people who call themselves muslims, yet they only accept the Qur'an and reject the prophet's words and teachings, did they forget that the Qur'an came through the prophet S.A.W too ? Besides, it's impossible to follow the Qur'an without following he Sunnah (the prophet's teachings), for 2 reasons :
1) because the Qur'an orders muslims to follow Sunnah.
2) the Sunnah explains the Qur'an. Without Sunnah we can't know how to follow Qur'an.

These people whether did not read or understand properly what the Quran says, or they are just looking for problems.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
09-30-2011, 08:34 PM
a Muslim denomination
This is the first time I've heard of such word.

enemies of Islam keep trying all kinds of different ways to defeat Islam.

Zafran
10-01-2011, 03:00 AM
salaam

Yep - they are a very small minority of people.

peace

Darth Ultor
10-01-2011, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

This is the first time I've heard of such word.

enemies of Islam keep trying all kinds of different ways to defeat Islam.

Enemies and defeat? A simple mistake is a desire to destroy Islam to you? Sunnism and Shiaism aren't denominations?

جوري
10-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Sunnism and Shiaism aren't denominations?
Not really 'Sunnism' = traditional (Islam) 'Shiism' by the very definition means faction.. under which 'Quranism' falls.. Any deviance is a 'faction' and all factions new or old make up about 10% of Islam. Truth is, there's no confusion in Islam for folks to start factions. Be Muslim or don't be, but don't tailor to your whims..

Ramadhan
10-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Enemies and defeat? A simple mistake is a desire to destroy Islam to you? Sunnism and Shiaism aren't denominations?
sunnism and shiasm aren't denominations.

sunni is from the word "sunnah" and they are of "ahlu sunnah wal jamaah", it is used to describe muslims who follow examples of Muhammad (SAW), remain one community and do not deviate from his (pbut) teachings.

While shia literally means "faction" and the earliest instigator of the divine right of Ali (ra), which underpins shia belief, was a jewish scholar Abdullah ibn Saba, who was then even eventually banished by Ali (ra).

Unlike christians who accept that there are denominations (with extreme varying degrees in fundamental beliefs) in christianity, muslims do not accept any denominations, it is either you are a muslim or not.

Kitsune92
10-02-2011, 11:45 PM
These "Quran only" muslims are a growing trend... I was really shocked to find out that even some of my family members have fallen for this. :( To me, it seems like the ones who go that route are the ones who want to make the religion really easy... I've even seen someone go so far as to say they could pray like the christians do, since the Quran doesn't explain exactly how/when to pray....

Darth Ultor
10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I thought it does. Doesn't the Quran say to pray five times a day?

M.I.A.
10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
prayer is between you and god,
you know there are specific times for it even if the methods differ.

the quran does actually say that you can pray in any manner you see fit, if you fear an enemy. but it also says that when you reach a place of safety you should pray in the manner appointed by the prophet pbuh.

..and im sure that must have differed sometime or other.

people have fallen for reading the quran? shocking.

maybe they should read it again and again and again, im sure all they while they will hear hadiths which they can try to hold on to and see what sort of impact they make once implemented.

but dont disregard those that live by the quran alone, a person can have both quran and sunnah and fail.

ultimately it is allah swt that allows us progress in all matters.

dunno if you still believe that...

M.I.A.
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
but while we are on the subject i have something to ask which i have no knowledge of.

i have read that it is sunnah to sit down while drinking, but everytime i have to drink water from people who bring it back from hajj i am told to stand up and face the qiblah.

any clarification would be much appreciated.

karimium
10-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Exactly! These Muslims who say they only follow the Quran are misguided. Clearly they haven't even read the Quran to even understand it properly. To follow the Quran properly you have to follow the Sunnah, as prescribed by the ayats below.

I remember listening to Sheikh Yusuf Estes, and apparantly one of the women Imams who was leading men in prayers in New York was saying she follows the Quran but ONLY if it complies with her logical beliefs.

It's disgrace.

So many religions before us evolved away from monotheism into polytheism, and this is the reason why generations after generations of mumin who comprise a little bit of the deen at a time, before you know it they have become musrikeen.

format_quote Originally Posted by marwen

That's correct. The Qur'an says it :

وَمَا آتَاكُمُ الرَّسُولُ فَخُذُوهُ وَمَا نَهَاكُمْ عَنْهُ فَانتَهُوا الحشر 7
... And whatsoever the messenger giveth you, take it. And whatsoever he forbiddeth, abstain (from it). [Al-Hashr - 7]

أَطِيعُواْ اللّهَ وَأَطِيعُواْ الرَّسُولَ وَأُوْلِي الأَمْرِ مِنكُمْ.. النساء 59
O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and those of you who are in authority; ... [An-Nisa' - 59]

I don't understand how those people who call themselves muslims, yet they only accept the Qur'an and reject the prophet's words and teachings, did they forget that the Qur'an came through the prophet S.A.W too ? Besides, it's impossible to follow the Qur'an without following he Sunnah (the prophet's teachings), for 2 reasons :
1) because the Qur'an orders muslims to follow Sunnah.
2) the Sunnah explains the Qur'an. Without Sunnah we can't know how to follow Qur'an.

These people whether did not read or understand properly what the Quran says, or they are just looking for problems.

karimium
10-03-2011, 04:02 PM
To follow the Quran you must understand tafseer. The Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (saw) is the ultimate tafseer. These Quran only muslims have no leg to stand on.

Insaanah
10-07-2011, 10:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Milhouse
the Quran is what he left behind to live by.
He left two things to live by, the Qur'an, and the sunnah.

format_quote Originally Posted by Milhouse
The word of the Prophet is the Quran.
The Qur'an is the word of Allah, revealed to the Prophet.

Darth Ultor
10-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Is there a differene between the Sunnah and Hadith?

Ramadhan
10-10-2011, 03:29 AM
sunnah is sayings and actions of prophet Muhammad SAW.

hadith (singular)/ahadith (plural) is record of the sayings and actions of prophet Muhammad SAW.

Ubaydullah7777
10-25-2011, 09:10 PM
We have to follow the Quran and the Prophet because Quran says so.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!