/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Television Vs youTube

Beardo
10-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Honestly, it's no longer a shocker when someone tells you they don't own a television set. There's so much opportunity online to watch seasons and episodes.

I found mself getting caught into this as well. I want to stop going on YouTube and watching stupid clips of useless stuff.

Any tips or alternatives? I just want to maximize my time. I find myself, everytime I'm eating a meal, I just go right in front of my laptop. A meal that would normally take 10 minutes, takes me 30 minutes.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alluminati
10-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Why don't you try buying books that educate you in something like a language or do sports? It can help.

At least, when you watch videos, look for educational videos, and educational documents so you may at least be learning something worth while apart from non-sensible "comedy" and trivial things. If Allah wills it, he will give you strength, so pray for strength so that you leave these things.

Tyrion
10-03-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm afraid there's not much you can do other than to work on your self control... Believe me, I've tried... We're in the same boat. :D

Zafran
10-03-2011, 03:06 AM
salaam

Me three

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SFatima
10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Honestly, it's no longer a shocker when someone tells you they don't own a television set. There's so much opportunity online to watch seasons and episodes.

I found mself getting caught into this as well. I want to stop going on YouTube and watching stupid clips of useless stuff.

Any tips or alternatives? I just want to maximize my time. I find myself, everytime I'm eating a meal, I just go right in front of my laptop. A meal that would normally take 10 minutes, takes me 30 minutes.
staying far away from the computer, No matter what, only allow yourself 1 or two hrs maximum on the pc everyday. I am trying the same, not watching tv can also makes you spend more time on useless stuff on the computer, a outdoor activity has to help, guys are lucky they can go play outside, utilize your muscles.

Dagless
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Use a mobile or tablet. That way you can still surf/listen/watch whilst doing those inconvenient things like living life etc. :p

GuestFellow
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I hate watching television. The adverts get on my nerves.

ardianto
10-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Television and youtube are my window to see the world. I know a lot of new things from these.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

I heard about Islamictube..

Spending time on youtube doesnt mean you have to sit watch some un-beneficial stuff, you can watch alternatives like a lecture, Qur'aan or nasheed.. atleast it is more useful..

Reflections
10-03-2011, 05:27 PM
lol true. People who don't have a TV sometimes more things online than those who do have a TV..sad state of affairs really..I'd say the net is more deadly than watching tv at times

Abdul-Raouf
10-03-2011, 05:48 PM
My Case is different..:hmm:

I eat bit faster than usual persons... when i eat alone/single plate.. whether infront of laptop/pc or not...

But when ppl are there or when we eat on one plate... its a different case.. I eat slow...There is a discipline which we need to follow there... :X But its a super experience :)

joyous fairy
10-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Assalam alaykum.

I found mself getting caught into this as well.

Any tips or alternatives?
I used to be like this. I'd say to myself 'Im only going on my laptop for about an hour' and then BAM! 4 hours had passed and Id still be wasting my time online. What I think you should do is limit the amount of internet access you get or spend on your pc/laptop. If its a laptop you can charge it and then put your charger/tell someone to hide your charger from you :p and with the time you have, do what you need to do. Or block some sites that you waste time on (I think there is a way to do that? ).

Alternatives would be to read books/papers or go to events that are beneficial. At least then you are interacting with people aswell.
format_quote Originally Posted by SFatima
staying far away from the computer, No matter what, only allow yourself 1 or two hrs maximum on the pc everyday. I am trying the same, not watching tv can also makes you spend more time on useless stuff on the computer, a outdoor activity has to help, guys are lucky they can go play outside, utilize your muscles.
Hey! Girls can go outside and do things to :p . And they can utilize their muscles as well lol.
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Use a mobile or tablet. That way you can still surf/listen/watch whilst doing those inconvenient things like living life etc. :p
Im not sure if you are being serious but I disagree with that. Mobiles are much slower therefore end up taking longer to load and you end up just sitting there waiting for the page to load.

Also, if you are out with people and on your phone it looks kinda rude IMO. It annoys me sometimes when Im with people and they start playing on their phones.
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
I hate watching television. The adverts get on my nerves.
Yep, same. I dont watch much TV anymore. I used to watch a lot of random videos on youtube but not anymore.
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Television and youtube are my window to see the world. I know a lot of new things from these.
MashaAllah. At least we know some people can benefit from them.

ardianto
10-05-2011, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
MashaAllah. At least we know some people can benefit from them.
There are many beneficial programs/videos in TV and youtube such as about nature, architecture, history, cultures, and many more. But also there are many 'satanic' programs/videos at there. Now, depend on us, will we watch beneficial program/videos only ? or we watch 'satanic' programs/videos ?

The choice is in our hands. :)

.iman.
10-06-2011, 01:39 AM
I much prefer the net to the TV because I can actually choose what I want to watch, and something that is appropriate. I am sickened every time I turn on the tv- nothing but nudity, sex, violence and horrible language. At least on youtube I can stay focused in the deen and watch something meaningful, like lectures on Islam or learning Surahs. Just my $0.02!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!