/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Madhhab

Iconodule
10-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Salaam. I'm curious as to which factors go into Muslims selecting which madhhab to follow. Perhaps some of you could share how you came to follow your present school. Also, once one has chosen, how strong is the commitment (ie what if he decides he agrees more with another school)?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iconodule
11-02-2011, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iconodule
Salaam. I'm curious as to which factors go into Muslims selecting which madhhab to follow. Perhaps some of you could share how you came to follow your present school. Also, once one has chosen, how strong is the commitment (ie what if he decides he agrees more with another school)?
Bumping this thread

جوري
11-02-2011, 05:17 PM
The mathahib don't differ so much from one another and certainly modern technology has replaced the need for a particular school of thought..
if a well is poisoned by cat feces all the mathahib will agree that it is contaminated, perhaps the most conservative math'hab would say don't drink the water all together while another says take 100 pails out while another find a chemical substance to neutralize it (this is all a hypothetical) but to give you an idea..
now a days you can just go down the well with your test tubes and see whether or not you should drink from it..
Notice that none of the mathahib would say it is ok to drink car feces although the thought process might differ, the end result should be one..

and Allah swt knows best..

Iconodule
11-02-2011, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
The mathahib don't differ so much from one another and certainly modern technology has replaced the need for a particular school of thought..
if a well is poisoned by cat feces all the mathahib will agree that it is contaminated, perhaps the most conservative math'hab would say don't drink the water all together while another says take 100 pails out while another find a chemical substance to neutralize it (this is all a hypothetical) but to give you an idea..
now a days you can just go down the well with your test tubes and see whether or not you should drink from it..
Notice that none of the mathahib would say it is ok to drink car feces although the thought process might differ, the end result should be one..

and Allah swt knows best..
Are you saying that the differences between the madhhabs are only relating to physical cleanliness? My understanding is that the differences extend far beyond those things.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-02-2011, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
(this is all a hypothetical)
Are you saying that the differences between the madhhabs are only relating to physical cleanliness? My understanding is that the differences extend far beyond those things.
did you read all I wrote above?

best,

Iconodule
11-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, you are saying modern science obviates the need to follow a particular madhhab, or so it seems to me. Please clarify if I'm mistaken.

جوري
11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah, you are saying modern science obviates the need to follow a particular madhhab, or so it seems to me. Please clarify if I'm mistaken.
on certain issues yes!

sabr*
11-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Salaam. I'm curious as to which factors go into Muslims
selecting which madhhab to follow. Perhaps some of you could share how you came to
follow your present school. Also, once one has chosen, how strong is the commitment
(ie what if he decides he agrees more with another school)?
Peace be to you Iconodule:

A person not following a Madhhab (School of thought) is either a
Mujtihid (Islamic scholar who is competent to interpret Sharia by Ijtihadاجتهاد‎)
or is following a person who has the qualifications.

A google search doesn't qualify a Muslim to be a Mujtihid (Islamic scholar who is competent to interpret Sharia by Ijtihadاجتهاد‎) of Sharia.

One of the many reasons the Musim Ummah is a disarray.

Qualifications mainly agreed upon from those to adhere to the Quran and Sunnah of Nabi Muhammad (

)
for ʼIjtihād اجتهاد‎ (Making a decision in Sharia):

1. Knowledge of the Quran
  2. Knowledge of the ahadith of the Nabi Muhammad (

)
  3. Knowledge of the sayings of the Salaf-us-Salaheen; that is to know which rulings they disagreed and upon which they were unanimous.
  4. Knowledge of Arabic linguistics
  5. Knowledge of Qiyas, the knowledge by which one learns the method of deriving a ruling from the Quran and Sunnah. In this case, the above mentioned ruling (which is derived from the Quran and Sunnah) should not be apparent in the Quran and Sunnah or Ijma’. If there is no derivation involved due to the explicitness of the ruling in the Quran and Sunnah, than such a person is not by definition a mujtahid.

Allah had ordered the earlier generation of Muslims not all go and fight and
some remain to gain understanding (Fiqh) of the religion.

At-Tauba (The Repentance)
وَمَا كَانَ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ لِيَنفِرُواْ كَآفَّةً فَلَوْلاَ نَفَرَ مِن كُلِّ فِرْقَةٍ مِّنْهُمْ طَآئِفَةٌ لِّيَتَفَقَّهُواْ فِي الدِّينِ وَلِيُنذِرُواْ قَوْمَهُمْ إِذَا رَجَعُواْ إِلَيْهِمْ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَحْذَرُونَ (9:122)
Wama kana almuminoona liyanfiroo kaffatan falawla nafara min kulli firqatin minhum taifatun
liyatafaqqahoo fee alddeeni waliyunthiroo qawmahum itha rajaAAoo ilayhim laAAallahum yahtharoona

9:122 (Y. Ali) Nor should the Believers all go forth together: if a contingent from every expedition
remained behind, they could devote themselves to studies in religion, and admonish the people when
they return to them,- that thus they (may learn) to guard themselves (against evil).

The expression li yatafaqqahu fi al-din, "to gain understanding of the religion," is derived from precisely
the same root (f-q-h) as the word fiqh or "jurisprudence," and is what Western students of Arabic would call
a "fifth-form verb" (tafa‘‘ala), which indicates that the meaning contained in the root, understanding,
is accomplished through careful, sustained effort.

~Raindrop~
11-02-2011, 08:45 PM
As honourable as your intentions were in starting this thread, we don't allow lengthy discussions on such topics.

Therefore

:threadclo

sabr*
11-02-2011, 08:46 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

A article with a view on Madhhabs.

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/madhhabstlk.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!