/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Miracles in Islam

Crystal
10-21-2011, 10:25 PM
I know that the quran talks about the miracles of some prophets especially Jesus and Moses.
  • What were the miracles of Muhammad?
  • Sometimes in life a person can experience something really supernatural or it is said that some people have healing powers and that these are miracles- does Islam explain these experiences? Does a person need to be a prophet in order to perform a miracle?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IsamBitar
10-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Well, I personally don't believe in miracles (I'm not a Muslim) but in Islamic literature, there are many miracles appointed to Muhammad. Here are some.
  • The miracle of Israa and Miraaj, i.e. the travel from Mecca to Jerusalem and from Jerusalem to the heavens in one night on the back of a Buraaq (mostly depicted as a winged unicorn).
  • The miracle of splitting the Moon: the disbelievers of Quraish asked for compelling evidence that Muhammad is prophet, so he split the Moon for them all to see.
  • The miracle of hand-springs: some time in Medina, there was a drought and Muhammad's followers needed water to drink. So, Muhammad spread his right hand and fresh water started to come out from between his fingers where all his followers drank until their thirst was gone.
  • The miracle of the Quran: Muslims regard the Quran as the ultimate miracle of Muhammad in its complexity, infallibility, perfection and great form.
  • The miracle of the yearning tree trunk: in Medina Muhammad used to deliver sermons leaning on a tree stump. When the number of worshippers increased, someone suggested a pulpit be built so he can use it to deliver the sermon. When the pulpit was built, he abandoned the tree trunk. The trunk was heard weeping, and then Muhammad went towards it and comforted it with his hand.
Hope that helps.

Crystal
10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the reply IsamBitar. When you say in Islamic literature - are they in the quran or hadith - I don't remember coming across them in the quran although I may be wrong.
I'd like to hear some replies from Muslims too on this!

IsamBitar
10-23-2011, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal
When you say in Islamic literature - are they in the quran or hadith
Mainly in the Hadith and Seerah (Muhammad's biography). Not much in the Quran, though.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
10-24-2011, 09:48 AM
What were the miracles of Muhammad?
You can read post #3. IsamBitar quoted it from Islamic literature.
Sometimes in life a person can experience something really supernatural or it is said that some people have healing powers and that these are miracles- does Islam explain these experiences? Does a person need to be a prophet in order to perform a miracle?
One day in 1997 when I worked in a small company, the boss told me, his maid's son suffering from tonsil, which should be removed. The boss told me to drive that boy to an Islamic alternative medicine man.

In that place. the medicine man examined the tonsils and prepared scissors and clamps. He closed his eyes, saying a du'a in a minute, then cut and took that boy's tonsil. Without anesthesia. I asked that boy "Is it hurt ?", and he answered "no". Even after we arrived in the boss's home, that boy played again with other kids like never happened anything before.

A Miracle ?. No, this is not miracle, healing method like this is a learned and trained ability. Mu'jizat (miracle) is only for prophets.

Al-Mufarridun
10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
:sl:

Miracles in Islam:

"Miracles(Mu'jisat) take place without any involvement of natural phenomena
by the exclusive act and will of Allah Ta'ala. It is clearly defined in the
Qur'an itself (You did not throw when you threw but Allah did throw - 8:17).
Likewise, there is no involvement of natural phenomena in the happening of Karamah.
They take place exclusively with the act and will of Allah Ta'ala.
This should also be understood that miracles and Karamah do not take place
with the wish or control of the person performing them, but only by the will and act of Allah Ta'ala.
The only difference between the two is that if such an unusual act is
demonstrated through a prophet, it is known as a miracle; and if it is
demonstrated through someone who is not a prophet, it is called
Karamah." (Ma'ariful Quran by Mufti Muhammad Shafi' vol. 6 page 598)

To clarify further ;

An Example of Mu'jisah - Musa(as) and the splitting of the sea.
So We revealed to Musa, "Strike the sea with your staff." And it split in two, each part like a towering cliff. And We brought the others right up to it. We rescued Musa and all those who were with him. Then We drowned the rest. There is certainly a Sign in that yet most of them are not believers. Truly your Lord is the Almighty, the Most Merciful. (Qur'an, 26:63-68)

An Example of Karamah - Mary receiving fruits in her chamber.

Every time that he entered (Her) chamber to see her, He found her supplied with sustenance. He said: "O Mary! Whence (comes) this to you?" She said: "From Allah: for Allah Provides sustenance to whom He pleases without measure. (Qur'an, 3:37)

Any acts that seem supernatural done by anyone unholy who is void of Faith are nothing more than illusions, sorcery and the works of satan.
These people who claim to have seen angels, spoken to them or to God for that matter has only experienced the tricks of satan.

Allah(swt) knows best.

Crystal
10-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks Al Mufarridun for explaining the difference,
How then can I know that the miracles that Muhammad performed were not just an illusion - I would like to know more about his miracles and how they are explained - from a non Muslim perspective saying because it says so in the quran/hadith isn't really convincing.

Perseveranze
10-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks Al Mufarridun for explaining the difference,
How then can I know that the miracles that Muhammad performed were not just an illusion - I would like to know more about his miracles and how they are explained - from a non Muslim perspective saying because it says so in the quran/hadith isn't really convincing.
Asalaamu Alaikum,

The Quran is the greatest and only lasting miracle today. As Muhammad(pbuh) said, the other prophets(pbut) Miracle was for their time and their people, however the Quran is a miracle that's for everyone and eternal.

Anyways, there are books that talk about miracles at the time of Muhammad(pbuh) based on hadiths etc. Would you like me to upload it for you?

Crystal
10-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Perserveranze yes thanks that would be great.

Perseveranze
10-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Perserveranze yes thanks that would be great.
Asalaamu Alaikum,

It's a long read, but it's very detailed and Inshallah will answer you questions.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/70819778/T...ad-Ibn-Kathi-r

Any problems with the link or anything, then please let me know.

Crystal
10-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot I will read it

syilla
12-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Miracles are important to everyone it gives hope and faith for tomorrow and future. Without miracles one will give up and lost hope. Feeling weak and helpless are the last thing you want to instill in children or your own self.

For example, if one patient is 80% are dying would you believe that person can heal 100% and be fine the next morning. it happened and no one can deny that.

- Qatada -
12-30-2011, 12:42 PM
:salamext:

Crystal asked a really good question.

So just to explain; Miracles are REAL in comparison to Illusions.

This is why Allah gave miracles like 'increase in food' to His Prophets'. Why? Because increase in food and water is something which illusions cannot do. Illusions are just fake pictures and movements that you see. But an increase in food is literally a miracle because you are some food which alot of people will eat, be satisfied and benefit from are really happening.

Also see; Salaf Stories for many miracles in our Islamic history. These are real life events which support a follower of the Prophet (peace be upon him) make feal (not illusionary) changes in the world.

Crystal
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Did Muhammad predict things that would happen, that did happen ? Are these considered miracles?

جوري
12-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Did Muhammad predict things that would happen, that did happen ? Are these considered miracles?
All the minor and major signs of the end of the world the prophet taught us from the isra'a and Miraj..
as someone stated earlier, the Quran is the prophet's major miracle..
Every messenger was given a miracle with which to impress the people of his time, those things died with those messengers.
Moses (PBUH) came upon a people impressed with magic, so when he impressed them what did he do? It was inspired to him by Allah swt to throw his staff which devoured all the snakes the Pharaohs men produced..
Jesus PBUH came upon a people impressed with medicine and so he'd perform miracles like healing the leapers and curing the blind unlike anything medicine of his time would offer.
Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) came upon a people who were unparalleled in linguistic genius and used to hang their poetry on Kaaba and he brought the Quran challenging them, guiding them aright.. It is transcendent, with supernatural eloquence, logical consistency, poetic lyricism and in fact I can sit here all day impressing its brilliance but it is a journey that's discovered by the self..

best,

Perseveranze
12-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Peace,

Here's some -

http://www.islamanswers.net/Prophet/...ionsFuture.htm

Crystal
12-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Perserveranze thanks for the link..it says that Muhammad predicted the end of the caliphate - so did he predict it would be formed again?

Also I read a hadith that Muhammad said every ummah has their test and the test of his ummah is with regards to wealth. I Understand ummah means community and so is the community of Muhammad the people of his time or does it include people of today since he was a prophet for mankind? I just think that would explain a lot of the economic situation of today?

Crystal
12-30-2011, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
isra'a and Miraj
What are the meanings of these two words?

جوري
12-30-2011, 06:46 PM
What are the meanings of these two words?
http://www.islamicity.com/Articles/a...rive=geo_based

Good brother
12-30-2011, 10:44 PM
assalam alaikum

Many miracles here
THE MIRACLES OF OUR PROPHET (SAAS)
at harunyahya site
harunyahya.com/books/faith/miracles_of_our_prophet/miracles_of_our_prophet_01.php

- Qatada -
12-31-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...rophecies.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!