/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Answering a question to a friend

Pak-istan786
10-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

My Sikh/Hindu friend recently asked me a question just in general conversation and it must be out of curiosity or following everything else they may have heard about Islam and the question was:

"Why aren't women treated as equally to men in Islam?"

I said to her I will get back to her on that, but obviously I'm guessing she must've picked that question from everything she sees on the news these days e.g. the Taliban abusing women, lashing women, no female drivers in Saudi Arabia and there must be some other things out there which would make non-Muslims ask these questions.

I know that women can be as succesful as men in Islam e.g. Bibi Khadija ( A.S) was such a succesful businesswoman and and a succesful woman generally. There must be some other examples of succesful women in Islam and from Islamic history.

I'm sure that women can do everything a male can do in society and that they should be treated equally right? It's just that women perhaps have to take extra caution to ensure they look after their modesty and ensure they aren't doing anything which could lead to sin I guess?

So could anyone please answer her question for me? JazakAllah, wasalaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
10-30-2011, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saffy786
Why aren't women treated as equally to men in Islam?
Woman and man are equal in Islam. But, they're not Identical. Each one has a certain role and a different nature. You cannot transform all women to men. We need a wider definition of "equality" to understand the divine fairness between men and women.

An example : If you have in your town many working persons : they can have different natures (Asians, Caucasians, Africans, Arabs etc.) and they have different roles (doctors, engineers, firemen, policemen, etc.). But you still consider them equal citizens, having the same rights and each one is important to the society.
It doesn't make sense to convince all these persons to have the same physiognomy and the same role : You can't make all the people doctors or make all of them white people just to be treated equally.

The same thing between men and women.

Pak-istan786
10-30-2011, 10:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen

Woman and man are equal in Islam. But, they're not Identical. Each one has a certain role and a different nature. You cannot transform all women to men. We need a wider definition of "equality" to understand the divine fairness between men and women.

An example : If you have in your town many working persons : they can have different natures (Asians, Caucasians, Africans, Arabs etc.) and they have different roles (doctors, engineers, firemen, policemen, etc.). But you still consider them equal citizens, having the same rights and each one is important to the society.
It doesn't make sense to convince all these persons to have the same physiognomy and the same role : You can't make all the people doctors or make all of them white people just to be treated equally.

The same thing between men and women.
Sorry I didn't understand that, can you explain again?

Alpha Dude
10-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Basically:
-Men and women are different, both biologically and psychologically
-Islam caters for these differences and applies a different set of guidelines for both (over and above the main set of laws which both must abide by). There are specific rules for males (e.g. can't wear silk) and others are specific to females (e.g. can't apply perfume in public)
-There is equity, in the sense that both have equal worth but due to differences between men and women, it is not logical to have total equality in every sense. For example, it wouldn't make sense to send a pregnant woman into a burning house as a firewoman.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazalah
10-31-2011, 12:29 AM
In the eyes of Allah swt they are equal. That is the most important fact that needs to be digested before thinking about it any further. Physically they're not equal, hence the different roles they have in situations. You have feminists who want men and women to be identical in every aspect, so when they're given that they can't deal with the stress/pressure of the normal things they should be doing and on top of that doing things men should do. Feminists are funny women. :p:

But think about it logically, if men were superior to women in the eyes of Allah swt and there was no equality then that would contradict one of the glorious names of Allah swt "The Just" "Al-Adl"

ardianto
10-31-2011, 01:58 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

My Sikh/Hindu friend recently asked me a question just in general conversation and it must be out of curiosity or following everything else they may have heard about Islam and the question was:

"Why aren't women treated as equally to men in Islam?"

I said to her I will get back to her on that, but obviously I'm guessing she must've picked that question from everything she sees on the news these days e.g. the Taliban abusing women, lashing women, no female drivers in Saudi Arabia and there must be some other things out there which would make non-Muslims ask these questions.

I know that women can be as succesful as men in Islam e.g. Bibi Khadija ( A.S) was such a succesful businesswoman and and a succesful woman generally. There must be some other examples of succesful women in Islam and from Islamic history.

I'm sure that women can do everything a male can do in society and that they should be treated equally right? It's just that women perhaps have to take extra caution to ensure they look after their modesty and ensure they aren't doing anything which could lead to sin I guess?

So could anyone please answer her question for me? JazakAllah, wasalaam
Assalamualaikum, brother.

A question : which country that has the largest number of Muslims ?. Everyone here knows, that's Indonesia, a country where I am living.

Not every Muslim/Muslimah in Indonesia is religious, of course. So, we limit it only practicing hijabi Muslimah. Where can you find hijabi Muslimah in Indonesia ?. The answer is : everywhere.

They are exist in offices as employees, managers, or companies owners, they are exist in labs as scientists, in parliament building as politicians, in universities as lectures and even professors, like my mom's friend. And those who have cars and can drive, drive their cars.

I know personally a couple of Islamic teachers (ustadz and ustadzah). They have a car and a motorcycle. When they go usually the wife drives the car and the husband rides motorcycle. It's because drive car is safer than ride motorcycle.

Is too long if I must write about Muslimah life in Indonesia, but in short word, Muslim women and men in Indonesia are treated equally, although they still have and do their own role in families.

Why women in Afghanistan and Saudi are treated differently than women in Indonesia ?. The answer is, cultural diversity.

So, when your friend ask you "Why aren't women treated as equally to men in Islam?", tell him "Look at Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. You can see Muslim women are treated equally there".

marwen
10-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry I didn't understand that, can you explain again?
I'm sorry if my wording was a little bit unclear.
But I think the posts of brother Alpha and sister Ghazalah, and the examples of brother ardianto gave a better explanation of what is the islamic vision of equality between women and men, what I was trying to say.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!