/* */

PDA

View Full Version : which days to fast

syed1
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I have been reading a lot on fasting during the days of Zuhl hijja, the day of arafah and the day of ashura, the 9th day, or the day b4 eid ul adha..

can some one please clarifiy what dates we should be not in terms of the islamic calander but in terms of our current calander... I told my friend that the day before eid which is on sunday (so to fast on saturday, nov. 5) as it is a the day of arafah...

is this correct. please help
thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamica
11-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Among the great seasons of worship are the first ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah, which Allaah has favoured over other days. It was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are no days on which righteous deeds are more beloved to Allaah than these ten days.” They said: “Not even jihad for the sake of Allaah?” He said: “Not even jihad for the sake of Allaah, unless a man goes out himself for jihad taking his wealth with him and does not come back with anything.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2/457

It was also narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no deed that is better before Allaah or more greatly rewarded than a good deed done in the (first) ten days of al-Adha.” It was said: “Not even jihad for the sake of Allaah?” He said: “Not even jihad for the sake of Allaah, unless a man goes out himself for jihad taking his wealth with him and does not come back with anything.” Narrated by al-Daarimi, 1/357; its isnaad is hasan as stated in al-Irwa’, 3/398.

It is Sunnah for the Muslim to fast on the first nine days of Dhu’l-Hijjah, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) encouraged us to do righteous deeds in the first ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah, and fasting is one of the best of deeds, which Allaah has chosen for Himself as it says in the hadeeth qudsi: “Allaah says: ‘All the deeds of the son of Adam are for him, except fasting, which is for Me and I shall reward for it.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1805.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to fast on the first nine days of Dhu’l-Hijjah. It was narrated from Hunaydah ibn Khaalid from his wife, that one of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to fast on the first nine days of Dhu’l-Hijjah and the day of ‘Ashoora’, and three days each month, the first Monday of the month and two Thursdays. Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 4/205 and by Abu Dawood; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 2/462.

It was reported from Abu Qutaadah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about fasting on the Day of ‘Arafaah. He said, “It expiates for the sins of the previous year and of the coming year.” Narrated by Muslim.

This (fasting) is mustahabb for those who are not on Hajj. In the case of the one who is on Hajj, it is not Sunnah for him to fast on the Day of ‘Arafaah, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not fast on this day in ‘Arafaah. It was narrated that he forbade fasting on the Day of ‘Arafaah in ‘Arafaah.

Day of Arafah is this Saturday and Eid on Sunday Nov 06. So Inshallah fast this Saturday, Nov 05.

------------------

The official decision and announcement of the High Judiciary Council (HJC) of Saudi Arabia regarding the beginning of Dhul-Hijjah.

1 Dhul-Hijjah will be tomorrow, Friday 28 October 2011, and the Muslims performing Hajj will be in 'Arafah on Saturday 5 November 2011 (9 Dhul-Hijjah 1432), and the Muslim Ummah shall be celebrating 'Eed al-Adhaa on Sunday 6 November 2011, (10 Dhul-Hijjah 1432), inshaa.-Allaah.

fatwa-online.com

syed1
11-04-2011, 03:20 AM
guys really quick question:

WHAT INTENTION SHOULD I BE MAKING WHEN FASTING TOMORROW AND SATURDAY... for ramazan i would say " i intend to fast for the month of ramzan for the sake of allah" and for breaking the fast id say " o allah i fasted for your sake and i believe in you i put my trust in you and break my fast with food provided by you "

Hamza Asadullah
11-04-2011, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
guys really quick question:

WHAT INTENTION SHOULD I BE MAKING WHEN FASTING TOMORROW AND SATURDAY... for ramazan i would say " i intend to fast for the month of ramzan for the sake of allah" and for breaking the fast id say " o allah i fasted for your sake and i believe in you i put my trust in you and break my fast with food provided by you "
Asalaamu alaikum. Just make the same intention but replace Ramadan with Dhul Hijjah. You dont have to get every word right for Allah does know what you are intending as long as you have intenfed it in your heart then you do not even need to intend it with your tongue.

But if making intention with your tongue helps to affirm the intention in your heart then thats fine but the wordd dont have to be 100% accurate.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syed1
11-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Thank you Hamzah...

Another very very quick question i promise..

What time is fajr..?

I have 2 different sources giving different timings..

i Live in missisauga, ontario..

I have one timing showing 6:20 am and one timing showing 6: 39 am

which is correct? I need to know in order to eat sehri!!!!

Hamza Asadullah
11-04-2011, 04:03 AM
Thank you Hamzah...

Another very very quick question i promise..

What time is fajr..?

I have 2 different sources giving different timings..

i Live in missisauga, ontario..

I have one timing showing 6:20 am and one timing showing 6: 39 am

which is correct? I need to know in order to eat sehri!!!!
Just go with your local Masjid the one you go to most often in your area. If not then go with the earlier time to be safe.

You can ask whatever questions you like it is not a burden upon me. I am more than willing to help you in anyway that I can inshallah.

islamica
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
if you use firefox, you use the add-on Pray Time, and it will tell you your local time.

syed1
11-04-2011, 08:09 PM
yeah i get that, but the reason i am getting varying times is because i found out that people calcualate it differently..
does any one know the correct method to calculate fajr time?

Hamza Asadullah
11-04-2011, 08:28 PM
yeah i get that, but the reason i am getting varying times is because i found out that people calcualate it differently..
Asalaamu alaikum. There is no one correct method, it depends on the methodology that is used to calculate the timings of the Salaah. I already mentioned to you that you should follow the timings of the Masjid you frequant the most. Stick with the timings of your local Masjid and you will be fine.

islamica
11-04-2011, 10:13 PM
If you are using the add-on, i just set mine to Um Qura and hanafi position.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!