/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shahadah and its conditions

islamica
12-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Shahadah and its conditions

ASH-SHADATAN is the declaration that represents the belief in the oneness of Allah (Tawheed). It is composed of negation and confirmation phrases. The phrase "There is no true god…" negates all false deities, while the phrase "but Allah", confirms that Allah is the only True God worthy of being worshipped.

Allah is All Just and All Wise. He creates us and wants us to know him and worship him alone. The submission of man to his creator, Allah, is the essence of Tawhid. When someone submits to Allah, he must negate and disassociate from any worship to anyone (or anything) other than Allah. This is the purity of worship and it is all embedded in the declaration of Ash-Shahadatan. This declaration is the key to Al Jannah (Paradise). The conditions that fulfill the declaration of Ash-Shahadatan are like the "teeth" that allow the key to function.

These conditions are:

#1 KNOWLEDGE:

About whom we are worshiping and about the nature, concepts, and methodology of worship is critical for understanding Islam. Knowledge in Islam calls for complete disassociation from false deities and for the purification of intentions:

"So know that La ilaha illal’lah (none has the right to be worshiped except Allah) and ask forgiveness for your sins…"(Qur’an 47:19)

The prophet (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am) said: "He who died knowing (full well) that there is no true God worthy of being worshipped except Allah, entered Al Jannah. “(Sahih Muslim)

#2 SATISFACTION:

The declaration must be made without any suspicion regarding its meaning. Allah (Subhanahu Wata’Ala) says:

"Only those are the believers who have believed in Allah and his messenger and never since doubted." (Qur’an 49:15)

The Prophet (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am) said: "I bear witness that La illah illal’lah, (There is no God but Allah) and I am his Messenger. The slave of Allah who would meet him (Subhanahu Wata’ Ala) without harboring any doubts about this (Ash-Shahadatan) would enter Al Junnah." (Sahih Muslim)

#3 PURITY:

The intention behind the performance of any kind of Islamically prescribed Worship must be purely devoted to Allah:

Say (O Muhammad): "Verily I am commanded to worship Allah (Alone) {by obeying Him and doing religious deeds sincerely for Allah’s sake, not show off, and not to set up rivals with Allah in worship}." (Qur’an 39:1)

#4 HONESTY:

Paves the way for meaningful understandings of Tawheed and strengthens the drive towards achieving knowledge about Allah. The hypocrite utters Ash Shahadatan, but conceals rejection in his heart:

"They say with their tongues what is not in their hearts."(Qur’an 48:11)

The prophet (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am) said: "There is none who testifies sincerely (from his heart) that there is no God worthy of being worshipped except Allah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, except that Allah will save him from the hell-fire." (Sahih Muslim and Bukhari)

#5 ACCEPTANCE:

Adherence to the meaning of Ash-Shadatan safeguards the believer from false and arrogance which Allah forbade:

"Truly, when it was said to them: La illaha illal’lah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allah), they puffed themselves up with pride (i.e. denied)."(Qur’an 37:35)

#6 SUBMISSION:

Is fulfilled by obedience to Allah and his Messenger (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am)

"Whoever submits his face (himself) to Allah (follows Islam), while he is doing good (obeys Allah and his messenger in all aspects) has grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold."(Qur’an 31:22)

#7 LOVE OF ALLAH AND HIS MESSENGER:

The declaration of Ash-Shahadatan requires that the person loves Allah (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am) and his Messenger (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am) more than anything else, and loves what Allah and his messenger love, and hates or dislikes what Allah and his Messenger hate or dislike (what negatively affects the person’s attachment to Islam)

"And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allah as rivals (And’daad) (to Allah). They love them as they love Allah. But those who believe love Allah more (than all else)."(Qur’an 2:165)

The prophet (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am) said: "Whoever possesses (the following) of three qualities will relish the sweetness (delight) of Eemaan (Faith): The one to whom Allah and his messenger (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am) becomes dearer than anything else: that he loves a person for Allah Alone (i.e. purely seeking Allah and his pleasure); that he hates to revert to Kufr (disbelief) after Allah has rescued him from it as he hates to be thrown in hell."
(Sahih Muslim & Bukhari)

The love of Allah and his messenger must translate to a real following of the commands of Allah and that of the Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am). This negates the following of any innovator who introduces concepts/ways that are not in accordance with Islamic teachings: like the mystics of Sufism and their so-called Tareeqahs (ways), which has nothing to do with Islam. Their thoughts originated from Hindu concepts.

MUHAMMAD IS ALLAH’S MESSENGER

This is the second part of the declaration of Ash-Shahadatan. This means that:

A. Whatever Allah had told us about Muhammad (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’ am) must be true:

"O prophet Muhammad Verily, We have sent you as a witness, and a bearer of glad tidings and a Warner, And as one who invites to Allah (i.e., to worship none but Allah) by his leave, and as a lamp spread light." (Qur’an 33:45-46)

B. We must worship Allah as taught by Muhammad (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’ am): This clear order from Allah:

"And whatsoever the Messenger, Muhammad gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) and Fear Allah. Verily Allah is severe in punishment." (Qur’an 59:7)

The rulings, orders, disciplines, advice, recommendations, approvals, actions, and orders as they are related to Islam, are know as the Sunnah of the Prophet (Salla Allahu Aleihi Wassal’am). The authentically related Sunnah is inspired by Allah (Subhanahu Wata’Ala)

"Nor does he (Muhammad) speak of (his own) desire. It is only an Inspiration that is inspired." (Qur’an 53:3-4)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Marina-Aisha
12-02-2011, 01:53 PM
thanx for the info :p

MustafaMc
12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I understand the meaning of your post to be "Shahadah and its conditions for acceptance by Allah". Most of what you wrote was a matter of the heart that only Allah (swt) knows. I took my shahadah 30 years ago after reading the Quran and being shown by Allah (swt) that Jesus (as) was not God or the Son of God. I accepted the Quran as the Word of God and believed in what it said. Regrettably, I have faltered along the way and have not always practiced Islam. To other Muslims I am sure that I seemed less than sincere in my shahadah, but in the end it is a matter between a person and Allah (swt). I like the list that was provided and I believe that such as this should be a part of a new Muslim's conversion without laying too heavy a burden on him.

MustafaMc
12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
A similar list from a FaceBook friend:
http://theislamichaven.forumotion.co...of-the-shahada

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamica
12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I understand the meaning of your post to be "Shahadah and its conditions for acceptance by Allah". Most of what you wrote was a matter of the heart that only Allah (swt) knows. I took my shahadah 30 years ago after reading the Quran and being shown by Allah (swt) that Jesus (as) was not God or the Son of God. I accepted the Quran as the Word of God and believed in what it said. Regrettably, I have faltered along the way and have not always practiced Islam. To other Muslims I am sure that I seemed less than sincere in my shahadah, but in the end it is a matter between a person and Allah (swt). I like the list that was provided and I believe that such as this should be a part of a new Muslim's conversion without laying too heavy a burden on him.
I find many converts are like many born Muslims in this aspect. Your typical born Muslim learns his/her Islam from parents and their society and that is the extent of their knowledge and they don't go seek knowledge on their own to grow more. Same way many converts learn Islam up to the point of their shahahada and then stop learning or growing afterwards. Then these Muslims (converts or otherwise) start calling those who are more observant of Quran and Sunnah as "wahabi" or extremes or what have you. Some even create their own groups in which they mock their brothers and sisters for being "too religious" and intolerant. It's important for us to continue to learn and grow and shed any cultural things that contradict Islam, regardless of what society we come from. I also agree with you that it's good to ease the converts into Islam and not lay a too heavy burden on them or pressure to conform to a certain lifestyle/attire/food/etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!