/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can a Non Muslim read the Quran in English only?

truthseeker63
12-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Can a Non Muslim read the Quran in English only with no Arabic Text ? Is this allowed ? I ask this because I would like to give a copy of the Quran to a Non Muslim the Non Muslim has no desire to become a Muslim but she would like to learn more about Islam. I am speaking about a family member of mine. I want to know if the non Muslims who want to remain non Muslims may read the Quran in English with no Arabic words since I was told that only Muslims may touch and read an Quran is this true of the Arabic text only ?

Are there special rules that one must follow when handling the Quran?

By Huda, About.com Guide

3) A non-Muslim should not handle the sacred text, but may listen to tapes of the Qur'an or handle a translation or exegesis.

http://islam.about.com/od/quran/f/mushaf.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Marina-Aisha
12-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I didn't even know that does that mean I can't read the quran? I listen to it ony iPod bit I was thinking of reading one, my partner bought some when he went to Mecca. bought one for me also, and it has some Arabic texts inside does that mean I can't read it yet?

Aprender
12-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Before I converted, I went to the masjid here and the imam gave me a copy of an English translation to read.

Crystal
12-12-2011, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
3) A non-Muslim should not handle the sacred text, but may listen to tapes of the Qur'an or handle a translation or exegesis.
What was the evidence they provided to support this from the quran/hadith?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Qaswa
12-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Scholars have differed in their opinions on handling the Quran(to mention a few - not touching it without wudu, not keeping it over your lap when reading instead use a rihal(stand)). While there are no hard and fast rules of how you should handle the Quran, Muslims we know that it is the word of God and we handle it with due respect. Now a person who has not yet converted cannot be expected to have wudu when reading the Quran or follow the rules of Islam. It is out of the respect we have for the Holy book, that we hesitate giving the version having the original text as we do not know if the person getting it would treat that the same way as we muslims do. In the worst case it may be abused too. And for someone who wants to learn the teachings of the Quran (before making up his/her mind to come to islam), as long as it is in a language that he/she understands, the purpose is served. Why should he/she be so interested in reading only the Arabic version? :)

Crystal
12-13-2011, 09:37 AM
I think all translations have the arabic version also - well mine does anyway. Even if you were an arabic christian and wanted to read it in arabic I don't see the actual problem - I thought Islam wants to broaden peoples knowledge. Also they may not be aware of the wudu etc and even if they were I think it would be understandable. Sorry but it just annoys me that some people think that I don't deserve to handle the quran when I am genuinely interested in its message and deciding whether or not its the truth.

MustafaMc
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
May Allah (swt) forgive me if I am wrong, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with giving an English only translation of the Quran to a non-Muslim. There is a paperback version of Yusuf Ali translation that is perfect for this purpose. I converted to Islam after reading the Yusuf Ali translation with both English and Arabic when I was a Christian. I have given a Quran (English + Arabic) to a Jewish rabbi and a Christian who expressed interest. I asked that they not read it while on their period as I believe it is the Word of God. There is something about reading from a hardcover Quran written on high quality paper that conveys a majesty to the reader as opposed to a flimsy paperback.

My opinion is that providing the opportunity for a non-Muslim to read the Quran is more important than making sure he/she treats it with the same respect that we do. Another point is that if we are too restrictive in providing a Quran to those interested, then they will just go to amazon.com and buy any translation which may have been translated by an Orientalist or Islamophobe like "The Generous Qur'an, An Accurate, Modern English Translation of the Qur'an, Islam's Holiest Book" by Usama Dakdok. The title implies accuracy, but I know for a fact that the translator hates Islam and that he used English words to convey his own twisted understanding of Islam. There is an English-only version of the "Gracious Quran" that I like and it will be available soon, insha'Allah http://www.universalknowledgeinstitu...ming-soon.html Whereas, I highly doubt that a person would become a Christian just by reading the Bible, I am living proof that one can become a Muslim just by reading the Quran.

Crystal
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
My opinion is that providing the opportunity for a non-Muslim to read the Quran is more important than making sure he/she treats it with the same respect that we do.
I really agree with this. I am not a Muslim but who knows what the future holds - I am really liking Islam from reading about it in the quran.

MuslimahBarb
12-14-2011, 01:25 AM
I completely agree with what both Crystal and Mustafa said. I don't see anything wrong with a non-Muslim reading the Quran that includes both Arabic and English. My opinion is that before a person converts they would want to learn more of the ins and outs of the religion and reading Quran is the best way to do so. I know that I read some of my husband Mustafa's Quran before I took my Shahadah.

Abz2000
12-14-2011, 03:20 AM
there is a lot of controversy concerning this, as the Quran clearly says: none shall touch it but the purified (56:79),

and 'Umar (ra)'s sister (ra) allowed him to read the verses of Surah TA HA after he agreed to wash himself.

however it is also a fact that the Prophet (pbuh) dictated Quranic verses IN ARABIC in his epistles to other non-Muslim leaders inviting them to Islam.

still, i only give people English translations by yusuf Ali and pickhtall, even then i often recommend them to wash before reading (washing purifies the mind too).

MustafaMc
12-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Does washing one's hands make one purified, or is it the making wudu by a believer in the manner that Muhammad (saaws) prescribed? After I make wudu I say, "Allah hum maj alni minat tawabeen waj alni minal muta tahareen". If an unbeliever washes his hands, is he penitent and spiritually purified even when there is no faith in his heart? I as a believer do not touch the Quran except with wudu.

I agree that this issue is unclear and the verse in and of itself leads to that conservative understanding, but the following commentary indicates a non-literal understanding. Allah (swt) knows best the meaning of this ayat.

http://www.islamicstudies.info/tafheem.php?sura=56&verse=75&to=96

The fact, however, is that this commentary does not conform to the context of the verse. Independent of the context, one may take this meaning from its words, but if considered in the context in which the verse occurs, one does not see any ground for saying that: None is to touch this Book except the clean and purified people. For the addressees here are the disbelievers and they are being told, as if to say: This Book has been sent down by Allah, Lord of the worlds. Therefore, your suspicion that the satans inspire the Prophet (peace be upon him) with it is wrong. What could be the occasion here to enunciate the Shariah injunction that no one should touch it without purification? The most that one could say in this regard is that although this verse has not been sent down to enjoin this command, yet the context points out that just as only the purified (mutahharin) can touch this Book in the presence of Allah, so in the world also the people who at least believe in its being divine word should avoid touching it in the impure and unclean state.

Abz2000
12-14-2011, 06:00 AM
it is truly a sensitive subject which has many different interpretations,
here's another angle, although it's not the only one:

but then we have the recorded case where 'Umar (ra)'s sister told him "innaka Mushrikunnajas" verily you are an unclean pagan, when he asked to read the Quran.
he apparently bathed and came back, then after reading accepted Islam and became the servant of the one he went to behead.

and there is also this verse:

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ إِنَّمَا الْمُشْرِكُونَ نَجَسٌ فَلاَ يَقْرَبُواْ الْمَسْجِدَ الْحَرَامَ بَعْدَ عَامِهِمْ
Inna mal-mushrikeena najasa fa laa yaqraboo al-masjid al-haraam ba`d `aamihim.
Truly the pagans are unclean, so let them not after this year of theirs approach the Sacred Mosque. (9:28)

but the fact that the Prophet (pbuh) sent Quranic verses to the other kings seems to leave it open to discretion,
here are the contents of the letter as recorded in Bukhari 4:191:
"In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful (This letter is) from Muhammad, the slave of Allah, and His Apostle, to Heraculius, the Ruler of the Byzantine.
Peace be upon the followers of guidance. Now then, I invite you to Islam (i.e. surrender to Allah), embrace Islam and you will be safe; embrace Islam and Allah will bestow on you a double reward. But if you reject this invitation of Islam, you shall be responsible for misguiding the peasants (i.e. your nation).
O people of the Scripture! Come to a word common to you and us and you, that we worship. None but Allah, and that we associate nothing in worship with Him; and that none of us shall take others as Lords besides Allah. Then if they turn away, say: Bear witness that we are those who have surrendered (unto Him)..(3.64)

source:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/bukhari/bh4/bh4_192.htm

but only Allah knows best.

MustafaMc
12-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I agree that this is controversial and I respect the conservative view. As you said Allah (swt) knows best.

Would giving a Quran with English and Arabic to an unbeliever be a sin? Would I be responsible for ensuring that he has first properly performed wudu each time he touched the Quran? Would his touching the Quran without wudu be a sin on him? Would it be better to give or loan someone a nice Quran, or a flimsy paperback, or let him find one on his own?

Abz2000
12-14-2011, 08:33 AM
that's what i grapple with, just to stay safe i give the paperback english translation, but i can imagine being a non-believer and seeing the beautiful arabic next to it and wondering about the background of revelation etc and wanting to learn more, and i'm sure there are many people who have come to Islam after buying or receiving side by side translations.
i ask myself the question: which translation would a non-Muslim arab who knows no other language than Arabic read?
it can be argued that the actual Quran is a recitation that is compiled in book form, since it would still be a Quran in someone's heart.
it was recited in different dialects in the early times until it was standardised by Uthman (ra).
the word Quran means "recitation" / "recital", and comes from Qara,
but at the same time the first few verses of the Quran tell us it's a book, "dhaalikal Kitaabu laa raiba fih" despite it not having been put together into one piece as it was revealed, Allah new best how and in what order He would have it compiled.

so you can see from my rambling that i don't have an answer but a lot of things to reflect and muse on like yourself and i believe that if you got together a hundred different scholars, you'd have AT LEAST two different views.
but that's the nature of Islam, there's always room to grapple with concepts in different contexts, to debate, to agree, change our opinion on certain issues where the command and context is left open, teaching us to constantly exercise judgement and seek knowledge.

Ramadhan
12-14-2011, 09:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
but then we have the recorded case where 'Umar (ra)'s sister told him "innaka Mushrikunnajas" verily you are an unclean pagan, when he asked to read the Quran.
he apparently bathed and came back, then after reading accepted Islam and became the servant of the one he went to behead.
The question is, did Umar (ra)'s sister say that because prophet Muhammad (saw) taught her that, or because it was her own caution and her own decision?

Ramadhan
12-14-2011, 09:22 AM
I have given Qur'an with translations to non-muslims who showed interest and would like to read it. I know for a fact they treat it with respect and put it in their library/book shelves.

ayesha.ansari
01-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Well i am not sure about exact answer this time, i will post here after discussing my Teacher of Islamic studies but i have a idea for all non Muslim if they want to learn Quran in Arabic. You people may use online Quran to read it. I think there is no problem with it.

arabic alphabet
01-20-2012, 06:28 PM
In Bosnia, we have the transcription of the Quran into Latin, but reading Quran looking in arabic letters is indispensable.

Sothis Girl
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
I didn't even know that does that mean I can't read the quran? I listen to it ony iPod bit I was thinking of reading one, my partner bought some when he went to Mecca. bought one for me also, and it has some Arabic texts inside does that mean I can't read it yet?
I think this is exaggerated. I knew several people (not personally, just read their blogs) who converted to Islam because they read (and even, recited) Qur'an before converting. which one is more better priority? Forbidding non-muslims to read, touch, and recite Qur'an because the book is "too holy" for them, or letting them read, touch, recite, and explore Qur'an to extract its knowledges, wisdom, and who knows it can move their hearts too to be muslim and even...better muslim than us?

Islam is a flexible, easy religion. Allah and His messenger had promised so. Stop complicating it.

Sothis Girl
01-29-2012, 04:29 PM
I appologize for double posting. I cannot find "edit post" button whatsoever to change my previous post. Mods, please don't give me penalty for this :skeleton:

A bit addition for my posting above. I'd like to share you a strange, sad, but true story. One day in a masjid, a 20-ish male entered a masjid. He's about to take wudu - rather awkwardly. His appearance was very eye-catchy to anyone - he had a lot of tattoo in his arms and necks, red-painted hair, piercings spread on his face, spikey hair and clothes, combat boots, and a T-shirt with some scary skulls pic and trash-metal band logo. okay, you got the picture.

just when he's about to take his wudu, several masjid guys (white clothes, longer beard type) came approached him and scrutinized how awful this guy looked. They harshly preached that tattoo and piercings are haraam - why the heck he wore them? The clothes and the way he looks are resembling kafiruun or even satan worshipper. This guy said nothing, cancelled his wudu, and left. He's never seen in the masjid since then.

Don't these masjid bigots realized that this guy could be actually...wants to repent his past life and trying to find God? It's true indeed that tattoo and piercings are haraam. maybe he did dressed up like a satanic. but that;s not what matters. This guy just wants to find God - period. And they have probably blocked his way.

it's same with this debate - "the disbeliever should not recite or touch Qur'an because it's too holy for them". what's more important? defending the "holy" thing which benefits nothing or no one, or saving one's soul in this life and hereafter?

~ Sabr ~
01-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Please speak respect fully sister arachnide. If we don't know about these things then it is best to ask a scholar.

azramushtaq
04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
It is good to learn and read quran online from experienced tutors.learn quran online is a good way for all Muslims and i suggest to learn quran online for those kids who cant drive their kids to mosques.

Independent
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I am reading the Qur'an right now (in English), I wasn't aware there was an issue.

If I had to learn Arabic first I would never read it. I have no natural ability at languages.

IAmZamzam
04-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Muj4h1d4~, I will speak respect for sister Ariadne. She has made a very good point for which you seem to have no actual rebuttal. This man may have been discouraged from finding the straight path because of his physical appearance--in just the same way that some people may be discouraged from finding The Qur'an for not being allowed to read it just because they're not already Muslims. Ease of dawah makes for better dawah. It does not take years of scholarly training to know that.

azramushtaq
05-10-2013, 10:22 PM
No there Non muslims can read Quran in Arabic too if they know Arabic.I suggest to read quran in Arabic but keep a translation book in any language for this.THis will help to understand Ayats of Quran more clearly and it helps better understanding of Arabic after a non Muslim accepts Islam.

greenhill
05-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Salaams,

I also hear similar variations to the points above and I draw my conclusions as below (for myself)

Quran in Arabic are the words of Allah, hence sacred and should be handled with due respect and state of purity.
Quran with translations or translated is no longer 100% the word of Allah and hence not bound by the strict codes of handling the Quran with pure Arabic text but should still be treated with respect.

Peace

Sir Fluffy
05-12-2013, 03:16 AM
I myself have handled the Qur'an in English and Arabic format and my Muslim friends seem not to mind. I admit they are perhaps not extremely devout but regardless they have taught me a lot and the issue of a non Muslim touching the canonical Arabic Qur'an has never occurred. I have learned quite a bit of Arabic from them and also and though they seem to be light on the whole 'dawah' issue they involve me in quite a bit of their Islamic activities. I am still the outsider looking inside of course

chuckla
07-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Re: Can a Non Muslim read the Quran in English only? Muhammad was forbidden to recite the Holy Quran by his enemies the Quraysh pagans. The reason is that there is a Spiritually entrancing flow of the words when you recite the Quran in Arabic that lures the listener in, making him/her want to embrace Islam. The pagans did not want this. They wanted Arabia to remain a pagan country so they could control the people. This did not deter The Prophet though, he kept reciting it. The point I'm making is that reading the Quran in Arabic is definitely better. But you can get a very good general idea of what the Quran is saying by reading it in English. I would also recommend you give your family member a copy of "What Everyone Should Know About Islam and Muslims" by Suzanne Haneef. Peace, chuck

CallofCthulhu
09-01-2013, 12:33 AM
The important thing to keep in mind is that with any translation of a book from one language to another, the content that the entity that originally transmitted the book to the transcriber will be lost. For instance, think of it this way. When the prophet who relayed the Quran to us was spoken to, he was spoken to in Arabic (or perhaps in some universal language that he was only capable of articulating into Arabic?). If you translate the Arabic into Mayan, there will be cultural concepts that will be lost. Consider the Liber Ivonis, a 15th century translation of this text into English will automatically be flawed and imperfect.

Any translation of the Quran into a language other than Arabic is not the Quran.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!