/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Huroof e Muqatta'at

Pak-istan786
12-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I know about these mysterious letters and people say their meaning is unknown to us and known only by Allah SWT. I'm not sure whether this is an appropriate question to ask, but what if they don't have meanings at all? Or would that not be the case, as everything from Allah SWT is for a reason, and therefore must have some meaning(s) to it?

JazakAllah for clarifying, wasalaam.

P.S- I think there may be some waswasa I'm going through here. Because previously I would say to myself " though the meanings are unknown to us, Allah SWT knows their meanings" And now instead I'm questioning this saying " well what if there is no meaning(s) to them at all?" " As though we are expecting some meaning to them, when there may not be anything to them at all". And suddenly I feel I've become a non-Muslim. Please can someone help, I'm feeling very anxious and worried. JazakAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pak-istan786
12-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Please can someone help me I dont know why I'm going through this and feel I have become a kaafir because I was questioning myself here. Oh I'm so confused ...:exhausted

Insaanah
12-14-2011, 10:30 PM
:sl:

The names of letters of the Arabic alphabet, called huruf muqatta'at, occur at the beginning of several surahs of the Qur'an. At the time of the Qur'anic revelation the use of such letters was a well-known literary device, used by both poets and orators, and we find several instances in the pre-Islamic Arabic literature that has come down to us.

Since the muqatta'at were commonly used the Arabs of that period generally knew what they meant and so they did not present a puzzle. We do not notice, therefore, any contemporaries of the Prophet (peace be on him) raising objections against the Qur'an on the ground that the letters at the beginning of some of its surahs were absurd. For the same reason no Tradition has come down to us of any Companion asking the Prophet about the significance of the muqatta'at. Later on this literary device gradually fell into disuse and hence it became difficult for commentators to determine their precise meanings. It is obvious, however, that deriving right guidance from the Qur'an does not depend on grasping the meaning of these vocables, and that anyone who fails to understand them may still live a righteous life and attain salvation. The ordinary reader, therefore, need not delve too deeply into this matter.
Source: Taf'heemul Qur'an by S.A. Maududi

And Allah knows best in all matters.

Pak-istan786
12-14-2011, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
:sl:

Source: Taf'heemul Qur'an by S.A. Maududi

And Allah knows best in all matters.
Phew, that provides some relief. So why couldnt people refer back to the old meanings if it fell into disuse in modern times? And if people knew what the meanings were in ancient times ( like the passage says no one puzzled a person for using the letters), then how come we don't know the meanings now?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
amiyr
12-17-2011, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crossman3
Please can someone help me I dont know why I'm going through this and feel I have become a kaafir because I was questioning myself here. Oh I'm so confused ...:exhausted
format_quote Originally Posted by Crossman3
Assalaamu alaikum,

I know about these mysterious letters and people say their meaning is unknown to us and known only by Allah SWT. I'm not sure whether this is an appropriate question to ask, but what if they don't have meanings at all? Or would that not be the case, as everything from Allah SWT is for a reason, and therefore must have some meaning(s) to it?

JazakAllah for clarifying, wasalaam.

P.S- I think there may be some waswasa I'm going through here. Because previously I would say to myself " though the meanings are unknown to us, Allah SWT knows their meanings" And now instead I'm questioning this saying " well what if there is no meaning(s) to them at all?" " As though we are expecting some meaning to them, when there may not be anything to them at all". And suddenly I feel I've become a non-Muslim. Please can someone help, I'm feeling very anxious and worried. JazakAllah

as-salaamu "alaykum brother

Do not be dismayed or distracted by the opinions of any.
Remember
"whoever in the world gives you an opinion as to the meaning or non meaning or saying there is a meaning or there is not a meaning without valid proof has invented lies against allaah and his rasuwl.

Up till today there have been about seventy explanations about the possible meaning of alif laam miym. No one in the world has brought any universal satisfactory proof.

The question is "did allaahu ta"aalaa provide his messenger with the meaning.
And if allaahu ta"aalaa did give his rasuwl the meaning of alif laam miym then did the messenger of allaahu ta"aalaa teach it to anybody.
And if he taught anybody the meaning why is it that the world is still having a debate on the issue.

Having studied the subject in great detail I have found that the messenger of allaahu ta"aalaa did provide a clear explanation.
But unfortunately you must have great insight and knowledge where to find it.

And I can tell you one thing and that is that the day the knowledge of alif laam miym reaches the world the whole of humanity will be dumbstruck. And that is the greatest fear of shayTaan in this dunyaa. And he will do everything to suppress it and bring confusion in the matter.

If you so wish I can give you details of correct information which you can assess. Let me know inshaa allaah.

wa"alaykumus-salaam

ayesha.ansari
01-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I want to say everyone that don't think beyond the boundaries, there are many things of knowledge that we don't their meaning but Allah almighty knows. Allah almighty also knows why didn't tell us the meaning of these things.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!