/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good Islamic authors and reading...?

theidler
01-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi everyone:statisfie!
I'm very grateful to be accepted on the board. Though I am a Catholic in belief, I thought this would be a good place to ask about some good reading material within Islam. I love studying religion, theology, philosophy, etc. of many world religions, but have a special interest in the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).
I would love to know which authors within the Islamic tradition are especially good to read, essential even. I have a copy of the Qur'an, the Divine Flashes of Fakhruddin 'Iraqi, Avicenna on Theology, a pocket book of Rumi, and The Way of the Sufi compiled by Idries Shah. I am very interested in the writings of Al-Ghazali, but I do not know many authors to investigate. I am very interested in orthodox Islamic theology and writings, commentaries on the Qur'an, and the like, but I don't many author names other than many of the Sufi mystics (but I want to move beyond the Sufi writings).
I apologize for my obvious ignorance on the matter, but would greatly appreciate some recommendations for Islamic spiritual reading, theology, and the like - preferably older than modern if that's alright.

Thank you for your hospitality in advance :)

PS: I don't know if some Christians come here to bait or mock, but I assure you I am not one of them. I have a sincere interest and desire for knowledge, and aim only to speak with the utmost respect to all of you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
theidler
01-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Hi everyone,
I am a Catholic Christian and a student of theology/world religions, respectfully interested in hearing of some good recommendations for Islamic reading, especially within the areas of theology and general spirituality. My Islamic section of my library is quite small and only has the following:
The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an by Abdullah Yusuf Ali
Divine Flashes by Fakhruddin 'Iraqi
Avicenna on Theology
The Way of the Sufi
compiled by Idries Shahand The Pocket Rumi

I am interested in such authors as Al-Ghazali, Averroes, Al-Kindi, Al-Farabi, and the like, but really would like to know some good spiritual reads that are not necessarily related to Sufism. I am terribly ignorant of any famous orthodox Islamic writers, so any help is appreciated!
Thank you in advance:)

syed1
01-01-2012, 08:35 PM
bump. I too would like to know which authors are prominent in Islamic literature/theology.

Good brother
01-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Welcome
Did u checked sticky threads above ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
01-02-2012, 03:09 AM
I am not sure how to respond to your question as you seem more interested in Sufism and Islamic spirituality than religious practice. Hamza Yusuf comes to mind in this spiritual respect, but I haven't listened to his lectures or read his books. I see Islam as a religion and way of life that teaches proper beliefs about God and how to worship Him through following the sunnah (traditions) of Muhammad.

If you are interested in comparative religion particlarly of the Abrahamic faiths, then I recommend "MisGod'ed" and "God'ed" by Laurence Brown.

theidler
01-04-2012, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I am not sure how to respond to your question as you seem more interested in Sufism and Islamic spirituality than religious practice. Hamza Yusuf comes to mind in this spiritual respect, but I haven't listened to his lectures or read his books. I see Islam as a religion and way of life that teaches proper beliefs about God and how to worship Him through following the sunnah (traditions) of Muhammad.

If you are interested in comparative religion particlarly of the Abrahamic faiths, then I recommend "MisGod'ed" and "God'ed" by Laurence Brown.
My apologies - chalk it up to my comparative ignorance of it all. I am interested in Islamic spirituality yes, but would like to move away from sufism, as it is so easy to come by over here. I am more interested in more orthodox Islamic writings...religious practice too is fine. Any recommendations are welcome. :)

MustafaMc
01-06-2012, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by theidler
My apologies - chalk it up to my comparative ignorance of it all. I am interested in Islamic spirituality yes, but would like to move away from sufism, as it is so easy to come by over here. I am more interested in more orthodox Islamic writings...religious practice too is fine. Any recommendations are welcome. :)
The book that I referred to a lot when I first became a Muslim is 'Islam in Focus' http://www.islam-infocus.com/ A similar book is 'Islam: Beliefs and Teachings' http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Beliefs-...5814355&sr=8-2 I also highly recommend "The Sealed Nectar: Biography of the Prophet" to learn about the character of Muhammad (saaws) and the early history of Islam.

syilla
01-13-2012, 06:08 AM

compiled with 22 vidoes you need to do the search with the title because i've only put one video.

He is a sunni but his expert in Al-imam ghazali due to his intensive studies on the medieval by al-imam ghazali

Sothis Girl
01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Hello theidler! I hope you enjoy your time here :statisfie

For a religious comparison you can try these books - they are diamonds :
The Choice - Ahmed Deedat
What Every Christians and Jews Should Know - David Benjamin Kheldani

For scientific and a bit conspiracy theory - but more to science :
Harun Yahya books.

Cheers! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!