/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that Allah is an ancient moon god?

CuriousIncident
01-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Some people say that the ancient Arabians worshipped a moon God named Al-ilah shortened to Allah and the traditions are similar to the Muslims of today. I apologise if this offends anyone, I am thinking of reverting to Islam and I am trying to ask as many questions as possible because I go to other websites and chatrooms and there are many people who are against Islam but there is a very accepting community here!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jedi_Mindset
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN-BiF5yHWU&list[/youtube]

*warning contains music

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Greetings of peace CuriousIncident

Firstly, it is good of you to be asking questions, as it's good to ask questions and in all good to learn about what you do not know ..

And to your question, the answer is no, Allaah SWT is the creator of the moon, therefore he is not the ancient moon god, i understand that according to some individuals who lack knowledge of islamic faith see 'ancient moon god' as something that means muslims worship the moon, this is indeed a great misconception. We do not worship the moon/creation, we worship the creator of the creation and not the creation.

Allaah - The God in arabic.

I would like to advice you to be careful where you take your knowledge from regarding Islam and it's teachings, in other words i advice you to speak to knowledgeable muslims who speak according to the Qur'aan and sunnah (sayings of the prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings of God be unto him), and not those who have no idea what they're talking about, in case you are led to believe something which is alltogether incorrect.

I'd like to end this post with a chapter from the noble Qur'aan which is called 'Al-Ikhlaas - The Sincerety'

Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One, Allah , the Eternal Refuge. He neither begets nor is born,Nor is there to Him any equivalent." [Al Qur'aan - Al Ikhlaas]

However, If I have not answered your question completely, i hope that someone else is able to do so, and please do not hesistate to ask any more questions you may have..

.. peace ..

syed1
01-07-2012, 02:01 AM
These traditions are not similar to muslims today. No muslim is a muslim if they worship a so called "moon God". It contradicts our very belief.

The greeks are notoriously known for having such gods, for example, zeus god of thunder and we do not believe in any of this..

We believe in one God, Allah and we do not associate any partners to him.

I wish I could explain a bit better, maybe someone else can come on and shed some light on this..

in the mean time please watch this video and hopefully it will clear some misconceptions.. start from 2:26

<u><em>

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CuriousIncident
01-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Thank you everyone, it is all cleared up now!

CuriousIncident
01-07-2012, 06:39 AM
And do not worry, Jεώel oғ ωïѕdoм, you definitely answered my question completely!

Abz2000
01-07-2012, 07:37 AM
curiousincident, please also bear in mind that it is a term that has been used by people of the previous scripture to refer to the same God of Abraham too,
this is how it was pronounced in the Arabic tongue, just like the term god can be used by people to describe even idols in the english language

the meaning is the same as was understood by prophet Abraham (pbuh),

peace

Predator
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CuriousIncident
Some people say that the ancient Arabians worshipped a moon God named Al-ilah shortened to Allah and the traditions are similar to the Muslims of today. I apologise if this offends anyone, I am thinking of reverting to Islam and I am trying to ask as many questions as possible because I go to other websites and chatrooms and there are many people who are against Islam but there is a very accepting community here!
Welcome to the board , curiousincident . Syed1 posted the video with the right answer

Please feel free to ask anymore questions that you want

Muhammad
01-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Greetings,

For your reference, a detailed refutation can be found here: http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...h/moongod.html

Darth Ultor
01-07-2012, 04:15 PM
No. It was in the Quran to not worship the moon, sun, stars, or any creation but only the Creator. Allah is just Arabic for God. Arab Christians and Jews (when not in prayer) call God Allah. The crescent moon was a symbol of the Caliphate I believe

Abz2000
01-07-2012, 05:05 PM
this brother's experiences seem to be similar to yours before he accepted Islam, heard all the same stuff,
hope you find it educational,
peace

Ramadhan
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
The best way to determine whether an allegation holds any truth whatsoever is go back to source.

So let's see what the Qur'an says (which we believe is the direct words of God swt):

And of His signs are the night and day and the sun and moon. Do not prostrate to the sun or to the moon, but prostate to Allah, who created them, if it is in truth Him Whom you worship. (41:37)

Ramadhan
01-07-2012, 05:19 PM
And I dug up an old gem from unc. Woodrow:

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Sometimes the simpilist explanation is the easiest.

The Crescent Moon has no religious symbolism. It was originaly on the National flag of Turkey. During the Middle ages Turkey became synonimous with Islam for much of the world and the Turkish symbol became a recognisable feature to identify Muslims.

The only function the moon has in Islam, is that we use a Lunar calender for establishing months. The period from the sighting of the first cresent to the last phase of the moon designates a month.

The moon is our calender, it is not our diety and never was.

Muslim are not the only people to call God(swt) Allah(swt) the same word is used by Arab speaking Christians. Various forms of it are used by the Coptics and Jews. The early Aramaic speaking Christians also used it. Remember, Isa(Jesus) (a.s.) and his disciples spoke Aramaic and they used the Aramaic spelling of Allah(swt) when speaking of God(swt). Some of the early Christian words were based on it. You ever wonder about the origin of Hallalujah.

Ramadhan
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
More detailed and complete refutation to the proponent for moongod idea, DR. Robert Morey:

http://www.central-mosque.com/compreligion/moongod.htm

CuriousIncident
01-08-2012, 12:32 AM
I now believe that Allah is not a moon god.

CuriousIncident
01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
And the videos were very helpful too. Thank you

IslamicRevival
01-09-2012, 12:10 AM
May Allah guide you to the truth Brother CuriousIncident :)

CuriousIncident
01-09-2012, 02:13 AM
I hope I do get guided to the truth eventually, Vision :)

ariginality
01-09-2012, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
this brother's experiences seem to be similar to yours before he accepted Islam, heard all the same stuff,
hope you find it educational,
Just watched the whole video. Very beautiful. Thank you for sharing

CuriousIncident
01-09-2012, 04:43 AM
I agree with you ariginality. It is very beautiful

serena77
01-09-2012, 11:12 PM
curiousincident -
i was catholic when i first started reading stories of reverting, first read the Koran... first really started considering it.. it was a slow path for me... even though i suspect i knew from the start i would one day the shahada. I wish you a lot of luck as you follow your path, and may Allah (swt) guide you on the correct path. I will say it was the best move i could have ever have made. I hope you will continue to ask any questions you have... I'm sure that everyone is more than willing to help, I know I am if there is anything i can do.
Serena

CuriousIncident
01-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Thank you Serena for your kind words. I will definitely ask any questions that I have. I think it will be a slow process for me as well but if I end up with the true religion, then I am happy :)

Sothis Girl
01-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Allah had been worshipped since Ibrahim (Abraham), and the practice continued until Jewish and Christians dwelled in Makkah.

After all, calling "moon god" itself is already a stupidity made by Dr.Robert Moron ;D. There is no such thing "moon god"! The correct one is "moon GODDESS"! In ancient pagan belief, moon is associated with female and fertility. But, correct me if I'm wrong. Pagan Arabs don't have moon god. The gods they worshipped (Latta, Uzza etc) were actually wise men when they lived. Latta for example, was actually a read maker, and he often donated food to the Makkah' pilgrims. After he died, people made a sculpture of him and worshipped him.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!