/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I want a dislike button too

syilla
01-06-2012, 02:44 PM
:sl:

i think i can try to be open and accept for the worst so i want a dislike button too.:phew

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd Al-Maajid
01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
The mods will probably ask you to 'report' the post or give a negative rep to the post. :hmm:

syilla
01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
thats different...the rep or a report means the mod needs to take action. dislike just means that we dislike the post :exhausted

ardianto
01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
i think i can try to be open and accept for the worst so i want a dislike button too.
I support the dislike button idea with one condition, there is a column which we must write our reason why we dislike that post. So, that "dislike" will becomes a constructive critic.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd Al-Maajid
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

I support the dislike button idea with one condition, there is a column which we must write our reason why we dislike that post. So, that "dislike" will becomes a constructive critic.
Then there should be another sub-thread for a post which has 'dislike comments' :p

syilla
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
owwhhh mannn all of you are so like the facebook admin

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-06-2012, 03:01 PM
...I like the idea of adding a dislike button though. The admins might add that feature too, who knows. We can force them to add a button if that's possible...:p

syilla
01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
aaahh thats help alot. i'm going to gather all the helps i can...from the army, police and etc

ardianto
01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
Then there should be another sub-thread for a post which has 'dislike comments'
I give like to your post, without comment. :D

~ Sabr ~
01-06-2012, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Agreed!!!!!!!!! :skeleton:

Marina-Aisha
01-06-2012, 03:41 PM
i kinda like the idea...

Muezzin
01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
If there were a dislike button, someone might dislike the first post of this thread.

But if they disliked the first post of this thread, maybe they don't like the concept of a dislike button.

But if there were no dislike button, they could not express publically that they dislike dislike buttons in the same way they can express that they like like buttons.

And what if someone dislikes like buttons too?

Ohmygodit'ssoconfusing

Banu_Hashim
01-06-2012, 03:59 PM
I agree, the admins should install a "dislike" button with a 'reason for' section just as you have for the editing option.

Flame of Hope
01-06-2012, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inquilaab
I agree, the admins should install a "dislike" button with a 'reason for' section just as you have for the editing option.

While there may be benefits in having a "Dislike" button, there is the possibility of its misuse.

Do the moderators and administrators of this forum have the time to screen each reason given for pushing the "Dislike" button to ensure that the reason given isn't offensive, insulting or disrespectful?

Expressing dislike for something is fine if one has a valid reason and can express one's dislike without showing disrespect for the person who posted his view or opinion.

Otherwise, I think it is going to cause more problems.

Beardo
01-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I completely condemn the idea of a dislike button. If you don't have anything good to say, keep quiet. If you find a problem with someone's post, provide your reasoning. If they still don't accept it, move on with your life. Guidance is from Allah Ta'ala. Simply make dua and move on. Why would you want to make someone feel bad by disliking their post? Why are we so negative?

Why can't we have compassion despite disagreement?

Positivity is like knowledge. When shared, it is not halved - but DOUBLED. So spread the joy, spread the happiness. Stop being a pessimist.

::wa:

Rashad

Flame of Hope
01-06-2012, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
If you find a problem with someone's post, provide your reasoning.

Yes. If we dislike something that was said, there is no need to push a "Dislike" button. One can give one's reasoning by POSTING a reply in the thread itself.

Beardo
01-06-2012, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Riham

Yes. If we dislike something that was said, there is no need to push a "Dislike" button. One can give one's reasoning by POSTING a reply in the thread itself.
Exactly. I don't understand why people on here are ready to pounce on people. Have some compassion. Seriously. It's so depressing how much hate we spread amongst ourselves.

Scimitar
01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
if you dislike something, please kindly keep it to yourself - everyone has good intentions but we are not always able to read those... so, benefit of the doubt is probably the best option - unless, the comment requires action - in which case, report it.

We're all here to learn anyway, so - just take what you find good and reject that which you do not... even then, try and keep an open mind, within the limits of your doctrine ofcourse.

Scimi

sis muslimah
01-06-2012, 11:05 PM
i like the idea of having a dislike button

GuestFellow
01-06-2012, 11:57 PM
And I want the "get lost" button, but there is no need for it.

Flame of Hope
01-07-2012, 03:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sis muslimah
i like the idea of having a dislike button
*Dislike button pushed for this post.*

syilla
01-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Dislike it not something personal suppose to be. for example the negative reps Alhamdulillah i'm sure non has missued it. The members are matured now unless the newbies who are trying to attack all the post huhuhu.

Try to be positive about it maybe maybe the dislike button would not be used by anyone.

Ramadhan
01-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I dislike dislike button.

and I like like button.

and I can't remember the last time I used negative reps, I only used a few of them for real trolls (who have been banned).
The only negative reps I received were also from the real trolls (and they were banned since).

Scimitar
01-07-2012, 12:02 PM
The problem I have with the Dislike button option is the animosity and suspicion it may create between members here... Some may say they are big enough to handle it, BUT - most will still be affected by the negative association of having someone dislike their post - and this can manifest in many ways... the least of which is that affected disliked poster will not share their thoughts so easily on IB.

It's enough that we have a negative rep option... some forums i'm on don't even have a rep option - let alone a like option... count yourselves blessed.

@Ramadhan... bro, that's some serious finger you got there lol. One push of the neg rep button and they open the EXIT HERE FOREVER option ;D DANGEROUS!!! Me Like (see what I did there - bah humbug, that was lame - sorry)

Scimi

EDIT: you know, I just had a thought...

What if I disliked the LIKE button? And gave the reason as "whenever i get a like, my nafs dances a little - and I'm on Jihaad e akbar, this is not good" what then?

This is what: If I can dislike the LIKE button, something which is quite likeable... then - I would absolutely despise the idea of a DISLIKE button because I would realise that many here are learning about Islam, but, have not reached the level of self reflection and struggle to be able to handle an anonymous "dislike".... there is nothing unifying about a dislike option.

For the record, I like the LIKE button... the edit was theorizing. And I do struggle with my "self"...

Anyway, that's all folks

~Zaria~
01-07-2012, 12:14 PM
^ Agree.

Theres many posts that i personally dislike - and sometimes those very posts are liked by others.

So what?

Its about promoting positivity amongst ourselves, not negativity.

If you dislike a post, then simply post the reasons why

......or just move on.....

Salaam

(if u like this post - push 'like' :)
if u dislike this post - then......dont push 'dislike', cos it doesnt exist ;D........tell me why, and we can talk :) )

syilla
01-07-2012, 12:18 PM
awwww i thought LI can make a difference. Dont afraid to be different lol

Scimitar
01-07-2012, 12:21 PM
You know, In the future we will have a "make coffee" button. All you do is push it and your PC / laptop / netbook will send a blutooh signal to your kettle and turn it on. Then, a few minutes later - you'll get a notification letting you know that the water is boiled and all you have to do is spend 15 seconds putting in the coffee, sugar and milk... this will save you a good few minutes - all the more time to actually get some reading done ;D

Uh... don't quote me. (facepalm)

Ah yes.... you know what I'd like to see? A "facepalm" smiley... Like this one:

... I facepalm a lot.

~Zaria~
01-07-2012, 12:24 PM
^ Dont worry sis,

Im sure the admin here appreciate all the suggestions they get :)

And we are different......thats why the views expressed here, are somewhat unique to each individual :)

Salaam

syilla
01-07-2012, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
You know, In the future we will have a "make coffee" button. All you do is push it and your PC / laptop / netbook will send a blutooh signal to your kettle and turn it on. Then, a few minutes later - you'll get a notification letting you know that the water is boiled and all you have to do is spend 15 seconds putting in the coffee, sugar and milk... this will save you a good few minutes - all the more time to actually get some reading done ;D

Uh... don't quote me. (facepalm)

Ah yes.... you know what I'd like to see? A "facepalm" smiley... Like this one:

... I facepalm a lot.
facepalm to me sounds like palm reading reminds me of my old post of face reading hmm...*going to see all my old posts again while relaxing from all the house works due to my 2 days non stop of stomach ache huhuhu

Muezzin
01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Seriously, if you dislike or disagree with a post, why not simply reply to it? This is a discussion forum after all.

If you don't like troll posts, Super Report Post Functions and Amazing Mod Powers trump dislike buttons.

GuestFellow
01-07-2012, 12:37 PM
I never used a negative rep. Feel it is pointless and may upset members.

syilla
01-07-2012, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Seriously, if you dislike or disagree with a post, why not simply reply to it? This is a discussion forum after all.

If you don't like troll posts, Super Report Post Functions and Amazing Mod Powers trump dislike buttons.
thats actually not the point. let me put like this...have you ever seen a post that you need to show that the post inappropriate but you think theres no point to give comment but harmless to give report on. nevertheless i hardly think any of the member will click on the 'dis' button. :hiding:

Scimitar
01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Kind of a mute point then isn't it? I mean - what's the point? LOL

Muezzin
01-07-2012, 01:18 PM
thats actually not the point. let me put like this...have you ever seen a post that you need to show that the post inappropriate but you think theres no point to give comment but harmless to give report on. nevertheless i hardly think any of the member will click on the 'dis' button. :hiding:
So just, like... ignore it?

Scimitar
01-07-2012, 01:19 PM
That's what I thought too... the proposed dislike button is a bit like the baubels that hang on xmas trees - just decoration... site is pretty enough as it is, thanks ;D we don't need gimmicks here.

Scimi

syilla
01-07-2012, 01:27 PM
So just, like... ignore it?
then no one will know or nothing can be improvise or nothing happens and end of everything....tuutttttttt

Muezzin
01-07-2012, 01:31 PM
then no one will know or nothing can be improvise or nothing happens and end of everything....tuutttttttt
If you have a dislike button and give a reason, it's the same as replying to the post explaining why you didn't like it.

Another option is to PM the member explaining that you disliked a certain post of theirs. That way, there is less potential for embarassment, you can talk all about the post itself without fear of derailing the thread containing it, and the member can take your point of view into account in future.

syilla
01-07-2012, 01:39 PM
pm will not justify the post been made in public. theres no need to embarrass anyone. some comments are already are embarassing enough

Muezzin
01-07-2012, 01:49 PM
If a post bothers you enough for you to press a dislike button and give publically-viewable constructive criticism, surely you can also be bothered to make a short publically-viewable reply to give that same constructive criticism.

I honestly don't see the point of a dislike button, especially if it would not be used much anyway.

syilla
01-07-2012, 01:59 PM
constructiive criticsms are good never said its bad. anyways..just do it if you have discussed and think its good. if not then its ok. i just need to gather some forces.

aamirsaab
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
This forum used to be cool. What happened?

Ramadan90
01-07-2012, 05:56 PM
ASA,

Sister, to be honest. I dont like your idea because that would just spread negativity in our forum. If you dont have anything good to say, just dont say anything. Or if you want to comment a particular comment that you dont agree with, just share your thoughts in a good way.

Beardo
01-07-2012, 06:01 PM
constructiive criticsms are good never said its bad. anyways..just do it if you have discussed and think its good. if not then its ok. i just need to gather some forces.
More than sources, you have to gather good reasoning. The goal is to spread joy and peace, not hate and discord. If it's not worth reporting, it's not worth disliking. If you feel like a comment you make would embarrass the poster, then use different wording in your response. Disliking will only create animosity.

joyous fairy
01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey, how many topics are there about a Dislike button? I remember a few months ago there was one and most people didnt want it.

I am against it personally, but I think maybe there should be a trial so at least people can see how bad/good it will be and then it will inshaAllah stop people from asking for it.

Just sayin'.

Scimitar
01-07-2012, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
This forum used to be cool. What happened?
We should be asking what the next gen is gonna expect of us... here's a scenario to get you thinking:

format_quote Originally Posted by next generation member - sometime in the near future
IB might as well become like facepalm.. sorry - facebook, you know -start demanding apps too,playing silly mind numbing facebooky type games... and finally, give ourselves up to "see eye eh" so they can collate stats on every member. File them in their DB's and then sell them to spammers...
Scimi

marwen
01-07-2012, 07:41 PM
If a 'like' button existes, why not a 'dislike' button too ?
I don't see a problem in the 'dislike' button. If we are open minded, we should accept 'likes' and 'dislikes'.
Anyway if a 'dislike' is beneficial and constructive, we should welcome it. And if it is misused or irrelevant, we will know that, and it should not bother us coz it'll be ignored.
Yeah there is a few people who will feel angry because someone does not share their point of view or disliked their idea, but that's a disease inside them if they they feel so. May be a dislike button will train us to be more open and more civilized.
That's my opinion and I liked the idea of sister Syilla. If you dislike my post, I'll be happy because there is some brothers and sisters who want to correct me.
May be we should forget about eventual "feelings" of people and tell each other the truth.
I like the idea of a trial too, before making it real. You can begin with my post, (but not too much dislikes please :exhausted).

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-07-2012, 08:28 PM
LOL! Who changed the 'like' button to 'dislike'? :p

AabiruSabeel
01-07-2012, 08:30 PM
^You just disliked my post. :(

~Raindrop~
01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
'Dislike' shouldn't have that heart next to it :p

peace_maker
01-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Now what do I do? I wanted to like a lotta posts here but the button's changed to dislike. Well, I'll wait for it to change back... Man, the dislike button gives me the creeps!.... Btw, I'm against the dislike button... Oh, and what if anyone hits the dislike button because they dislike it, will it be changed to like later. If it is, it's gonna be fun! :D

BintAbee
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Hmm, i thought the dislike button would be added and won't replace the like button....

AabiruSabeel
01-07-2012, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
Now what do I do? I wanted to like a lotta posts here but the button's changed to dislike.
Use reps instead. Beardo was missing a lot of rep points because of the like button. People were liking his posts instead of giving a rep.

Beardo
01-07-2012, 09:08 PM
LOOOL! This certainly must be a zAk attack!
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
^You just disliked my post.
See? Already people are catching on to the negativity.

AabiruSabeel
01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
LOOOL! This certainly must be a zAk attack!
Now who is zAk? :unsure:

joyous fairy
01-07-2012, 09:12 PM
You cant just have a dislike button, you need both. I mean I know 'like' is in the word 'dislike' but still.

And also add 'love' 'hate' and 'neutral' too :p

Beardo
01-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Scimitar
01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Moral of the story?

Be careful what you wish for... (insert facepalm smiley here)

Now, where's that order a pizza button on the forum?

Flame of Hope
01-07-2012, 09:39 PM

I got an idea.

How about having a "Love It To Death" button.

There have been soooooooooo many posts made by members here which I have loved to death. :wub:

I haven't been happy with a simple "Like" button.

There should be a "Love It Like Crazy" button too. ;D

arabic alphabet
01-07-2012, 09:50 PM
I agree with you

GuestFellow
01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
He is a little boy. He fights for his fwends and eats coconuts.

Did you know zAk is the only living being that can crack a watermelon with his head?

Muezzin
01-07-2012, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
May be we should forget about eventual "feelings" of people and tell each other the truth.
I agree. That's why I think people should actually be bothered to tell other people when they dislike something they did, and explain why, rather than simply clicking a button. It's better to be direct.

Scimitar
01-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I agree. That's why I think people should actually be bothered to tell other people when they dislike something they did, and explain why, rather than simply clicking a button. It's better to be direct.
I'll have a go at this:

I got an idea.

How about having a "Love It To Death" button.

There have been soooooooooo many posts made by members here which I have loved to death. :wub:

I haven't been happy with a simple "Like" button.

There should be a "Love It Like Crazy" button too. ;D
Probably because you didnt die from it...

No offence but when I hear women say things like "I haven't been happy with the "like" button." it makes me think there's a bit of a gap in their life... Sorry, but uhm - then asking for a "love it like crazy" buttonn makes me think "hmmm... she's only 13"

Feel free to dislike my post... My ego is tame in that regard and won't start jumping across esoteric pathways leading me into heightened states of abysmal mental meanderings ...

Salaam

Scimi

Ramadhan
01-08-2012, 12:40 AM
What???

why is there a dislike button instead of like???

Did I miss something???

Reflections
01-08-2012, 01:42 AM
I dislike :skeleton:

Flame of Hope
01-08-2012, 05:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Probably because you didnt die from it...

No offence but when I hear women say things like "I haven't been happy with the "like" button." it makes me think there's a bit of a gap in their life... Sorry, but uhm - then asking for a "love it like crazy" buttonn makes me think "hmmm... she's only 13"

Feel free to dislike my post... My ego is tame in that regard and won't start jumping across esoteric pathways leading me into heightened states of abysmal mental meanderings ...

Salaam

Scimi

Whenever someone begins with the statement "No offence".... it's a sure sign that he or she is about to write something that will be offensive.

Perhaps Scimitar wrote that post to make a point. He might be checking to see if I would hit the dislike button for the stuff he said.

What he said isn't very clear and I don't really understand what he means.

Normally, when I read posts like that, I IGNORE them. But because this thread is a discussion on the use of the "Dislike" button and its consequences.... I'll choose NOT to ignore this post.

Let's say I dislike Scimitar's post. And like brother Muezzin said, instead of clicking on a "dislike" button I express my dislike for the post in a reply.

So how would it sound if I were to say:

"How DARE you say that I'm acting like a 13 years old girl! If I think there ought to be a "Love it like Crazy" button in addition to a "Like" button, does that mean that I'm being childish?! Keep your remarks to yourself mister! I'm outta here! I don't wanna be in a place where I'm blatantly disrespected in such fashion!!!!!!"

:rolleyes:

Well? I CAN respond in that way, can't I?

But you know what? I would NEVER do so.

If I dislike something, I prefer to ignore it. If something offensive is said to me I prefer to give the person the benefit of doubt. I prefer to think that maybe there's a misunderstanding. Or that I do not understand what he or she said correctly. If so, better to let it go and be quiet.

Indeed, I strive to follow the teaching of the Prophet (saws):

"Whosoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should either speak good or remain silent." - Muslim.

As Muslims aren't we supposed to take that advice?

Insisting on the "dislike" button is like saying, "I believe in Allah and the Last Day but I can't speak good or remain silent."

Galaxy
01-08-2012, 06:03 AM
It's so weird seeing "A, B, C, and six others dislike this" on the bottom of people's posts.;D

Abz2000
01-08-2012, 06:13 AM
this is quite funny, every time i like a post i hit dislike, simply because i want to show that i liked it.

Beardo
01-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Could someone please put back the 'Like'?

Innocent Soul
01-08-2012, 07:05 AM
^ ^o) Why don't you yourself do that :?

Anyway no problem :) everyone behaving like it's 'like' button. :nervous: So do the same. :p

Ramadhan
01-08-2012, 07:07 AM
"Whosoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should either speak good or remain silent." - Muslim.

As Muslims aren't we supposed to take that advice?

Insisting on the "dislike" button is like saying, "I believe in Allah and the Last Day but I can't speak good or remain silent."
:sl: sister

I think you are taking it too far. You are wrongly applying the verse in this situation. To like or dislike something is allowable in Islam, and in fact, to dislike something evil, wrong doing, or anything that is against Qur'an and sunnah is a must.

I myself do not like the idea of dislike button, not because it is against the verse that you mentioned above (which in my opinion is wrongly applied in this case), but because "dislike" button encourages laziness. For example, if I dislike your post above, instead of writing this post and explaining why I disagree with your point in your post, I could have hit the dislike button if it were available. So there wouldn't be any exchange of information, and we all know that only through discussions we can learn and gain mutual understanding.

That verse above is more aptly applied to something like this:
"mwaaa... IB is full of haraam police, wahhabis, salafis, bunch of hypocrites and mysogynists" or worse, go somewhere and backbite.

If people disagree with the points made by others, they should write a reply and explaining why they disagree, but with adab. Or if they don't bother, just ignore and harbor no ill feelings towards others.
In essence, I agree with Beardo that it would only create animosity among our virtual family members.

Abz2000
01-08-2012, 07:11 AM
this is off key

Attachment 4528

peace_maker
01-08-2012, 07:37 AM
I want the like button back! >.

IslamicRevival
01-08-2012, 07:45 AM
lol, Loving the prank Admins ;D Dislike button is pretty cool

marwen
01-08-2012, 08:30 AM
But some times we just dislike an idea without having to explain. So why don't we have to provide an explanation when we 'like' something.. If our disaccord needs to be clarified we have a lot of other means : reply with a post, with a PM, etc. I thought these buttons are meant to quickly notify our view. Either we put a 'like' + 'dislike' buttons, or remove the 'like' button (or what is called 'dislike' now).

Muezzin
01-08-2012, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
But some times we just dislike an idea without having to explain. So why don't we have to provide an explanation when we 'like' something.. If our disaccord needs to be clarified we have a lot of other means : reply with a post, with a PM, etc. I thought these buttons are meant to quickly notify our view. Either we put a 'like' + 'dislike' buttons, or remove the 'like' button (or what is called 'dislike' now).

Post an image of a 'Thumbs down' or say 'boo' or something.

peace_maker
01-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Hurray! The like button is back. Whoo-hooo! :D

marwen
01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Post an image of a 'Thumbs down' or say 'boo' or something.
Posts again. Imagine the number of posts with just 'thumbs down' + 12 char.

Anyway it was just an idea. never mind. Jazakum Allah khayran.

Samiun
01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
:sl: Muezzin just owned every1 who wants a dislike button by changing 'Like' to 'Dislike'.

-Samiun out4h h3r3

Flame of Hope
01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
I think you are taking it too far. You are wrongly applying the verse in this situation. To like or dislike something is allowable in Islam, and in fact, to dislike something evil, wrong doing, or anything that is against Qur'an and sunnah is a must.

To have hatred and dislike for evil is necessary if we are to fight against evil.

However, the expression of that hatred and dislike must be done with wisdom and knowledge.

People must not be disrespected, shown scorn or be ridiculed for the things they say.

People do say the strangest, oddest and most unreasonable things. They may say things that may be false and perhaps not even be aware of it. To show dislike for what they say and to rush to correct them, trying to prove that they are wrong and pushing upon them your views is not going to help. On the contrary, it will cause animosity, ill-will and resentment to flare up.

We must enjoin the good and forbid the evil. But while doing so, we MUST remember our manners. We must do it in a way that will not offend people. And to learn that takes quite a bit of time. Until we learn, I think the best thing to do is to remain silent.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!