/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When someone first becomes a Muslim and they do not know arabic, what do they do?

CuriousIncident
01-10-2012, 12:51 AM
For example, what do they say during their prayers if they do not know any arabic?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
serena77
01-10-2012, 01:50 AM
salaams
I've done a couple of things. I have a book that gives the arabic in english letters... and i have a few youtube videos that i watch and listen to to work on my arabic. You don't have to know a lot of arabic ( though i have bought a few arabic texts personally... lol ) ...
also something else... I love nasheeds... islamic songs.... and some of them have both english and arabic... or arabic w/ the translation in lyrics.... things like that. It all helps ... it takes time... but it works... and it helps just be patient...
Serena

Woodrow
01-10-2012, 02:36 AM
I doubt if more than 20% of the world's Muslims speak Arabic as their native language. You begin slow and slowly add to you vocabulary. Watching youtube videos are a big help such as this one for the Morning Prayer (Fajr):

Our own personal prayers (Dua) that we say at anytime, may be said in any language and any place we happen to be. Most Muslims will say a short Dua before starting and completing any action. Such as a Dua before eating and one after. We also strive to pray often throughout the day to praise and Thank Allaah(swt) all of these prayers may be said in any language we want.

MustafaMc
01-10-2012, 03:18 AM
It has been a long time (30 yrs) since I became a Muslim, but I remember having a lot of difficulty in learning the Arabic for prayer. It seems like I was told initially to say a few words like Bismillah, Alhamdulillah, Allahu Akbar, and Subhan Allah while going through the different movements and postures of salah. I learned to say the Fatiha and short surahs in Arabic from a worn out little book that had English transliteration. I latter learned that my pronunciation of some Arabic letters was quite poor. I spent a lot of time learning the Arabic alphabet from a kid's program called 'Arabic Playhouse' and then another one 'Al-Qari'. There are many good options to learn the Arabic now such as the downloadable program Juz30 which works good for me in combination with written transliteration.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syed1
01-10-2012, 04:27 AM
most of all, ask Allah (SWT) to assist you in your attempt to learn arabic since you are doing it for his sake and Inshallah he will make the difficult easy.

CuriousIncident
01-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Thank you everyone. But is there anything that I can say that is in Arabic if I just became a Muslim? If I became a Muslim, I don't think I would be able to remember every single word correctly for the prayers :hmm:

~ Sabr ~
01-10-2012, 08:58 AM
:salamext:

This isn't based on any Islamic knowledge, but I guess it would be fine for you to read it in English, memorising the English, or even reading it from a book, until you can learn the Arabic? As Allaah is not limited to Arabic only, He Listens to all languages....

And Allaah knows best.

Marina-Aisha
01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Check out this video on YouTube: it says the prayers very slow for u understand and say. Hope it helps, u can. Also u can say it English until u have got it right. He knows and hears everything so don't worry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywok...e_gdata_player

MustafaMc
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CuriousIncident
Thank you everyone. But is there anything that I can say that is in Arabic if I just became a Muslim? If I became a Muslim, I don't think I would be able to remember every single word correctly for the prayers :hmm:
Someone more knowledgeable is welcome to correct me, but for someone who just becomes a Muslim, I believe it is OK to say a few words like Bismillah (to start each rakat), Alhamdulillah, Allahu Akbar, and Subhan Allah while going through the different movements and postures of salah. The online book 'Islam in Focus' does a good job of going over the timing for prayers, ablution, postures and movements, and number of units or rakat. It is more important to do as much as you are capable as early s possible, but that is not to say you should wait until you perfect it to start. Learning the 1st surah Al-Fatihah is very important to learn. I highly recommend Juz30 software to aid in learning the Arabic http://www.imaanstar.com/juz30.php

MustafaMc
01-10-2012, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
Check out this video on YouTube: it says the prayers very slow for u understand and say. ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywok...e_gdata_player
I checked out this first video and found it quite good.

Marina-Aisha
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Yea these videos a great, especially for me as I find hard to learn things. It tells u slowly how pronounce them, I was thinking starting to pray nw also. I can't wait to become a muslim.

- Qatada -
01-10-2012, 04:12 PM
:salamext: What to read if you can't read al Fatiha in prayer: www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5410/

~Zaria~
01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

My mum is a revert, Alhamdulillah, and I have been using the following videos with her.

Personally, this is one of the best vids I have come across, to learn the different verses that need to be recited - with translation, transliteration and to learn the correct pronounciation as well:

For the complete selection of videos by this series, to be able to perform salaah, they can be found on the left hand panel of this web-site:

http://www.myzikr.com/fatihah.php

Another really simple video to learn the different steps of salaah:

Hope this is of some help, insha Allah (if Allah wills).

Ps. While the above mediums are great to use to learn at home, I think ultimately one should seek an islamic madressah that caters for reverts - and learn from a teacher directly.
This is the best manner of learning correct practises from the start, insha Allah.

Salaam

serena77
01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
salaams sister zaria
i used the same you tube videos i love them actually. I love the youtube videos because i tend to do more than one thing at a time and i can set the video to play and recite it through w/o having to watch the entire video... I love learning anything dealing w/ languages ... and i have had trouble learning the entire salat and so i will use a book w/ the transliteration ...
someone mentioned praying to Allah (swt) to make it easier for you and i do recommend that... but ... i have to admit... if it weren't for arabic and islam.. I never would have started using Youtube cause i didnt used to ever use it.
Serena

MustafaMc
01-11-2012, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
:salamext: What to read if you can't read al Fatiha in prayer: www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5410/
Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu, quoting from the site:

It may be sufficient for him to say "alhamdu-Lillaah (praise be to Allaah), laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god but Allaah) and Allaahu akbar (Allaah is most great)," because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whatever you know of Qur’aan, recite it, otherwise praise Allaah, proclaim His Oneness and magnify Him.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood)

We know that Allah (swt) is merciful and fully aware of our personal limitations. Don't wait until you know how to pray perfectly to begin offering salah, but start where you are. We should always do our best and strive to do better.

CuriousIncident
01-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Thank you everyone. The videos were very helpful!

CuriousIncident
01-11-2012, 03:18 AM
Thank you for that, MustafaMc, but how many times do I say that?

MustafaMc
01-11-2012, 05:21 AM
You are welcome, but thanks aren't needed as it is all for the sake of Allah (swt) - fisabillah in Arabic.;D

Abz2000
01-11-2012, 08:08 PM
salamz bro curious incident,
i had a book which was essentially as compilation of letters from women who had accepted Islam,
i don't know how valid this is, but one of the women said she had a transliteration with meanings,
she'd hold it and read from it while praying and go through the meaning too i think, at first until she learned it all by heart.
this also helped her understand what she was saying.

it may not be ideal, but it is still a step, and i believe it is a good method of learning,
the Prophet (pbuh) is reported to have held his grandchildren on his chest while leading prayers.
and there are many many Muslims who still pray in Arabic without knowing the meaning of a word they are saying,
and some that do the whole pilgrimage with books in their hands

which is also NOT an ideal way of doing it

Arabic:

Transliteration:

Ya ayyuha allatheena amanoo la taqraboo alssalata waantum sukara hattataAAlamoo ma taqooloona wala junuban illa AAabiree sabeelin hattataghtasiloo wain kuntum marda aw AAala safarin aw jaa ahadun minkum mina alghaiti aw lamastumu alnnisaa falam tajidoo maan fatayammamoo saAAeedantayyiban faimsahoo biwujoohikum waaydeekum inna Allaha kana AAafuwwan ghafooran

interpretation of the meaning:
4:43 O ye who believe! Approach not prayers with a mind befogged, until ye can understand all that ye say,
- nor in a state of ceremonial impurity (Except when travelling on the road), until after washing your whole body. If ye are ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from offices of nature, or ye have been in contact with women, and ye find no water, then take for yourselves clean sand or earth, and rub therewith your faces and hands. For Allah doth blot out sins and forgive again and again.

some may see the verse as out of context, but i do believe that prayers are better read understood than just going through the motions.
even if it is only the opening chapter Al Fatihah you learn at first, i believe prayers can be accepted.
probably take you an hour or so to learn, then a day to revise in your head

the following link may turn out to be VERY useful, it has word for word meaning and the audio plays when you click on the word - and it highlights and scrolls through verses while reciting automatically if you hit play at the top
so it sticks in your head:

http://www.allahsquran.com/learn/#s1d7q1t0p1

thanks for the Q though! made me research and find this gem, i'm gonna use it to teach my son now InshaAllah

CuriousIncident
01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Thank you everyone once again! The videos and websites were very helpful. And you are welcome, Abz2000! I am here to ask questions to learn more about Islam. Hopefully when I realise that Islam is the true religion, I shall revert to the true religion!

Scimitar
01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Stick short surahs onto your phone and listen to them (on headphones) at opportune moments, like on the way to work and back. Or whenever you get a chance.

Listen to one surah a week, repeatedly, you'll be surprised at how fast you'll pick it up.

I have attached some links for some Surahs (short ones) by Qari Mishawi - who recited these with Mujawwad (tajweed ie: the proper pronunciation). The recital is slow and deliberate, and you will learn from this nicely insha-Allah.

Al Fatiha: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S5US0P15
An Naas: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BV01G5GP
Al Falak: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UZVTIR9O
Al Ikhlaas: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QVVA85K3
Al Kafiroon: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TXPE30MR

There you go, that should get you through 5 weeks. I am confident that you will learn these by heart in that time. Ameen.

Scimi

CuriousIncident
01-16-2012, 03:18 AM
I will try that when I become a Muslim, Scimitar :)

Scimitar
01-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Alhamdulillah. I'm pleased you will try it bro. If you need any further help with anything, ask us. We'll do our best insha-Allah.

Also, a slight typo in my last post, above. I wrote that the recordings were of Qari Mishawi when It is actually, Qari Minshawi (he was Qari Abdul Baset as Samad's teacher), anyway, apologies...

Scimi

Who Am I?
01-16-2012, 05:42 PM
I learned Fatiha in a couple of weeks, but I still don't really know any other surahs. I am (slowly) working my way through the short surahs and have learned a few lines here and there. I can actually recognize some of the words and phrases when I hear them recited for prayers.

Scimitar
01-20-2012, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Stick short surahs onto your phone and listen to them (on headphones) at opportune moments, like on the way to work and back. Or whenever you get a chance.

Listen to one surah a week, repeatedly, you'll be surprised at how fast you'll pick it up.

I have attached some links for some Surahs (short ones) by Qari Mishawi - who recited these with Mujawwad (tajweed ie: the proper pronunciation). The recital is slow and deliberate, and you will learn from this nicely insha-Allah.

Al Fatiha: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S5US0P15
An Naas: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BV01G5GP
Al Falak: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UZVTIR9O
Al Ikhlaas: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QVVA85K3
Al Kafiroon: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TXPE30MR

There you go, that should get you through 5 weeks. I am confident that you will learn these by heart in that time. Ameen.

Scimi
Just a heads up... MegaUpload got taken down today and the owner arrested because of that darned SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act).

So these links won't be working for a while... they're conducting investigations onto MegaUpload bleh.

However, if anyone wants these files, I have them and can send them to you (if the mods allow it)

Scimi

CuriousIncident
01-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Thank you for the information, Scimi

greenhill
05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Peace to all!

I'd like to relate a story told to me by a dear friend who was a revert, well he was just in name a muslim but suddenly became very interested in knowing his faith and was impatient to start his salah. He wrote down in big letters Al Fatihah and placed it on the floor beside the prayer mat as he prayed until he felt confident enough that he no longer needed it.

crimsontide06
05-04-2013, 02:50 PM
If you go to a mosque you may find a prayer booklet or resources on how to get a prayer booklet. The booklet should be in english/english transliteration and show how to pray and what to say while praying. You can even write down the transliteration of the prayer.. hold it and read it while you pray. This is fine for those who do not know the prayer.

greenhill
05-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Salaams,

Great advices. Don't wait til you perfected it before starting., keep it simple so you can do it, always ask Allah to help you remember and guide. Wow!

Learn incrementally and in little steps. Remember that even lifetime muslims don't know it all, so there is no rush to be perfect. Allah pays attention to your intentions more than your actions (my belief) so as long as the intention is good, you will benefit from your action.

Peace :shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!