/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bacon and sausages linked to higher risk of pancreatic cancer

Insaanah
01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Bacon linked to higher risk of pancreatic cancer, says report

Study claims eating two rashers or one sausage a day can increase threat of contracting disease by nearly 20%

Press Association
guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 January 2012 09.10 GMT

Eating two rashers of bacon a day can increase the risk of pancreatic cancer by 19% and the risk goes up if a person eats more, experts have said.

Eating 50g of processed meat every day – the equivalent to one sausage or two rashers of bacon – increases the risk by 19%, compared to people who do not eat processed meat at all.

For people consuming double this amount of processed meat (100g), the increased risk jumps to 38%, and is 57% for those eating 150g a day. But experts cautioned that the overall risk of pancreatic cancer was relatively low – in the UK, the lifetime risk of developing the disease is one in 77 for men and one in 79 for women.

Nevertheless, the disease is deadly – it is frequently diagnosed at an advanced stage and kills 80% of people in under a year. Only 5% of patients are still alive five years after diagnosis.

The latest study, published in the British Journal of Cancer, is from researchers at the respected Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden. They examined data from 11 studies, including 6,643 cases of pancreatic cancer. They found inconclusive evidence on the risks of eating red meat overall, compared to eating no red meat.
Read more...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-cancer-report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16526695

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Marina-Aisha
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Why only bacon and sausages? Why not all pork?

Tyrion
01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Eating too much of any food or meat won't be good for you. Can we stop trying to find justification for why we can't eat pork outside of the fact that we were commanded not to? :rollseyes I've noticed it's like some weird obsession for some people...

Scimitar
01-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Pork is bad for you, period.

I can go and get articles from legitimate sources to prove this point. In fact, it seems that every year I'm seeing two reports (atleast) warning of the dangers of eating pork.

How blessed are the Muslims, who have been forbidden pork for so many reasons that only Allah knows. The above mentioned article bought a smile to my face, seems that we Muslims have the occasional proof given us to rebuttal the non Muslim who claims that Pork is the best thing since sliced bread... lol

Bottom line: See top line.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Marina-Aisha
01-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Lol I'm just saying that's strange there singling out certain things like bacon and sauages. But it's oblivious it's cos we all eat a lot of these types of meat... If we eat too much of something it's gonna bad for us.

Scimitar
01-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Why did they highlight pork of all the meats though? Think about it.

Too much of anything is bad. Too much sugar, too much bread... heck, even too much sunshine. That's obvious. But when medical science can prove the dangers of eating too much pork - which is as little as 2 measly rashers of bacon a day (typical British breakfast will see that you eat two rashers of bacon btw) which is NOT processed - and then making that comparison with 50g of "processed" meat which is not Pork... Makes you think don't it?

It didn't make the comparison to non processed meats.

I look forward to the next time I am to eat chicken / lamb / beef in my curry, and thinking how blessed I am that I don't eat junk like processed meats, and even more blessed that my religion forbids me to eat pork - full stop. Unprocessed pork - just as bad as processed meat. Eugh.

Scimi

Ghazalah
01-13-2012, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Eating too much of any food or meat won't be good for you. Can we stop trying to find justification for why we can't eat pork outside of the fact that we were commanded not to? I've noticed it's like some weird obsession for some people...
It's sad that you'd assume the OP justifies her belief in not eating pork down to articles such as these rather than due to commandment.

So what if she posts an article which mentions the negative effects of pork? At the very least, a non-Muslim can see it and may be influenced to think twice about it.

We should try and refrain from making assumptions about people which don't even exist, I remind myself first and foremost.

Marina-Aisha
01-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't eat pork! I want to be a strong Muslim, I just thought it was strange that said only bacon and sauages.

Scimitar
01-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Ah, probably because bacon and sausages are the most popular by products from pork. In the UK they are at any rate.

Scimi

Tyrion
01-13-2012, 11:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
It's sad that you'd assume the OP justifies her belief in not eating pork down to articles such as these rather than due to commandment.
I wasn't making that assumption. I merely said that some people like to look for justifications outside of the religious command, for whatever reason. You really shouldn't make assumptions about other peoples assumptions. :p:

Scimitar
01-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Gah, it's getting pedantic in here... I'm out. Ciao.

Scimi

aadil77
01-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Eating too much of any food or meat won't be good for you. Can we stop trying to find justification for why we can't eat pork outside of the fact that we were commanded not to? :rollseyes I've noticed it's like some weird obsession for some people...
Even if it wasn't forbidden I would still expose pork for the disgusting meat that it is. It absolutely wreaks of excrement.

Now stop trying to appease.

syilla
01-14-2012, 08:48 AM
where are the other threads saying to justify why we should not eating pork? hmm...

is it the thread of trying to justify to be careful with all the products contain pork? shouldn't we or we think is not a big thing? hmm...

anyway i think i know why they highlight bacon and sausage because it is the most famous food all over the world. in the famous culinary of the world, bacon is a must to make the food taste better. you can see in the most famous hotel...even vegetarian cooking, sauce, broth or soup bacon is the secret ingredient.

so naturally if you love to eat outside is not easy job avoiding eating the world famous bacon.

Insaanah
01-14-2012, 01:38 PM
:sl:
Eating too much of any food or meat won't be good for you
While it is true that eating too much of any meat is bad for you, Allah did not forbid every food or meat.

Can we stop trying to find justification for why we can't eat pork outside of the fact that we were commanded not to? I've noticed it's like some weird obsession for some people...
We can't stop something that was never started. I see no justification, no mention of Islam, or that we can't eat pork, in the original post. If you see it, in that particular post, please point it out.

As for it being a weird obsession with some people to try to find justification for pork being forbidden, outside of simply being told not to eat it, please be careful with your words. Allah actually has given us one of those justifications at least (incidentally one of the same reasons as some people with the said "weird obsessions" give), in the Qur'an.

The reason is that it is impure/foul/abomination (Qur'an 6:145, translations below):

Sahih International
Say, "I do not find within that which was revealed to me [anything] forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be a dead animal or blood spilled out or the flesh of swine - for indeed, it is impure - or it be [that slaughtered in] disobedience, dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit], then indeed, your Lord is Forgiving and Merciful."

Muhsin Khan
Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I find not in that which has been inspired to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytatah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork, etc.) for that surely is impure, or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah (or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., or on which Allah's Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But whosoever is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, (for him) certainly, your Lord is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Pickthall
Say: I find not in that which is revealed unto me aught prohibited to an eater that he eat thereof, except it be carrion, or blood poured forth, or swineflesh - for that verily is foul - or the abomination which was immolated to the name of other than Allah. But whoso is compelled (thereto), neither craving nor transgressing, (for him) lo! thy Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

Yusuf Ali
Say: "I find not in the message received by me by inspiration any (meat) forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be dead meat, or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine,- for it is an abomination - or, what is impious, (meat) on which a name has been invoked, other than Allah's". But (even so), if a person is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- thy Lord is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

Dr. Ghali
Say, "I do not find in what has been revealed to me anything prohibited to an eater (Literally: feeder) who feeds thereof except it be carrion, (i.e., deal meat) or blood poured forth or the flesh of swine, (for) then surely that is an abomination or an immoral thing that has been acclaimed to other than Allah. Yet whoever is constrained, without being inequitable or aggressive, then surely your Lord is Ever-Forgiving, Ever-Merciful."

Thus it could be foul and an abomination in all respects, both the meat in itself, as well as for our health. Allah knows best.

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
How blessed are the Muslims, who have been forbidden pork [...]. The above mentioned article bought a smile to my face, seems that we Muslims have the occasional proof given us to rebuttal the non Muslim who claims that Pork is the best thing since sliced bread... lol
Indeed. One of the numerous beautiful things about Islam, is that an increase in knowledge and education, and scientific discoveries, provide further evidence that Islam is the truth (if it were ever needed). We don't need to search for "justification" for things to be forbidden, but conversely we are not forbidden from gaining knowledge and benefitting from it. That is the sign of a true religion, in harmony wth reason, logic, and science. Indeed, Islam is the religion for the thinking person - so many times we are told to contemplate, and look at the signs that are there for people of understanding.

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
in the famous culinary of the world, bacon is a must to make the food taste better. you can see in the most famous hotel...even vegetarian cooking, sauce, broth or soup bacon is the secret ingredient.
I've noticed this too. Every other recipe shown on TV has bacon in it. It's like they can't live without it.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

Pukandi baba
01-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Well one day they say it's good for you then other Scientists say it's bad. Can't keep up with people. Anything that is eaten in excessive amounts is bad for you. Even eggs can give you Cholesterol, so don't just jump up and down because it's Swine.

Ramadhan
01-15-2012, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pukandi baba
Well one day they say it's good for you then other Scientists say it's bad. Can't keep up with people. Anything that is eaten in excessive amounts is bad for you. Even eggs can give you Cholesterol, so don't just jump up and down because it's Swine.
no one is jumping up and down because it's swine.
so calm down.

Crystal
01-15-2012, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
Why only bacon and sausages?
I believe it is because they are processed more and therefore have more added ingredients such as salt.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!