/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Man Killed In Train Crash Being Sued By Woman Who Was Hit By His Flying Body Parts

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Reporting from Chicago— Calling it a "tragically bizarre" case, an Illinois appeals court has ruled that a man killed by a train while crossing the tracks at a Chicago Metra station can be held responsible after part of his body struck and injured a bystander.

In 2008, Hiroyuki Joho, 18, was hurrying in the pouring rain with an umbrella over his head, trying to catch a Metra train, when he was struck by an Amtrak train traveling at more than 70 mph.

Several witnesses said he was smiling as the train hit him.

A large portion of his body flew about 100 feet onto the southbound platform, where it struck Gayane Zokhrabov, then 58. She was knocked to the ground, her leg and wrist broken and her shoulder injured.

A Cook County judge dismissed Zokhrabov's lawsuit against Joho's estate, finding that Joho could not have anticipated Zokhrabov's injuries.

But the appellate court disagreed. After noting that the case law involving "flying bodies" is sparse, it ruled that "it was reasonably foreseeable" that the high-speed train would kill Joho and fling his body toward a platform where people were waiting.

Leslie Rosen, who handled Zokhrabov's appeal, said although the circumstances were "very peculiar and gory and creepy," it was a straightforward negligence case, no different than if a train passenger had been injured after the engineer hit the brakes.

"If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it," she said.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1119897.story

Seriously, what's the point in suing a dead man? ^o)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd Al-Maajid
01-18-2012, 05:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
Seriously?!

sister herb
01-18-2012, 04:59 PM
"If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it," she said.
^o) Does court now requires he learns his lessons and doesn´t do same mistake again... a little too late, hmmm...

Muezzin
01-18-2012, 11:47 PM
They're suing his estate.

But yeah, it's still insane.

Also, the way the article is written is just weird. So he ran to catch the Metra train, missed it, then spontaneously decided to commit suicide? What the heck?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Raindrop~
01-19-2012, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Also, the way the article is written is just weird. So he ran to catch the Metra train, missed it, then spontaneously decided to commit suicide? What the heck?
You forgot this bit... 'And smiled whilst he was at it?'

Ramadhan
01-19-2012, 12:29 AM
the legendary litigious american society never fail to give me the "what the..." moment

serena77
01-19-2012, 01:39 AM
oh wow. I dont' know what else to say.. honestly i thought when he was able to sue before seeing the location i thought it was some poor area in a third world county that i was'nt aware of ..... i don't know other countries laws well enough and some of the ones here are just insane.... i loved my con law courses especially when you read how many times certain laws had changed over and over and over again.
Serena

crimsontide06
01-19-2012, 04:08 AM
I should sue the sun because it hurt my eyes the other day when I looked at it! Yeah, that makes sense!!

ardianto
01-19-2012, 06:15 AM
In exactly, her lawyer said. She just repeat what her lawyer said.

Don't you know? American lawyers are the weirdest people in the world.

aadil77
01-19-2012, 02:35 PM
only in america

Reflections
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Erm okay:skeleton:. Give the guy a break, he died. Surely he didn't intend to purposefully hit the woman with his dead body parts.

sister herb
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Who would represents him in the court? His body? Lawyer hired his parents?

America is a strange place...

:heated:

marwen
01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Who would represents him in the court? His body? Lawyer hired his parents?

America is a strange place...
better than that , how will they punish him ?
will they curse on him ?

~Raindrop~
01-20-2012, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
how will they punish him ?
Probably take a chunk out of his estate.

If this lawyer is to be believed, his aim was mind-blowing.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
As'Salaamu Alaaykum

erm, why would you smile while having a 70 miles per hour train coming your way?! maybe it wasn't suicide..

anyway, the women should be pleased she's safe and sound while the one who she 'sued' isn't..or atleast wasn't safe at that very moment of being hit by a train and didn't survive.

ardianto
01-20-2012, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jεώel oғ ωïѕdoм
erm, why would you smile while having a 70 miles per hour train coming your way?! maybe it wasn't suicide..
I don't think that's suicide. Might be Joho was a friendly person who always smile to another.

Hiroyuki Joho

joyous fairy
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, and maybe he thought he was going to die so smiled because he wanted to die smiling? We dont know the reason behind it so no use speculating.

Maybe that woman really needs money or something and thinks this is the only way she will get some? Stupid really, imagine the poor mans family, having to go through losing a son and then someone suing him/his estate or whatever, because of reasons he did not have much control over.

What is this world coming to?:heated:

Salahudeen
01-20-2012, 06:11 PM
How absurd!! as if he could control where is body parts went :hmm:

Ar-RaYYan
01-20-2012, 06:28 PM
That is just sickening imsad

btw why is this thread in the puzzles-humour section? :-\

Muezzin
01-20-2012, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
That is just sickening imsad

btw why is this thread in the puzzles-humour section? :-\
Because it's kinda funny.

Ar-RaYYan
01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Because it's kinda funny.
A young man gets killed in a train crash and his body parts hits this woman who in turn sues the dead man's estate. Hilarious.
(I must be getting old :hiding:)

Muezzin
01-20-2012, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
A young man gets killed in a train crash and his body parts hits this woman who in turn sues the dead man's estate. Hilarious.
(I must be getting old :hiding:)
You have to laugh or you'd cry.

Scimitar
01-20-2012, 08:05 PM
The guy who died... musta been smoking some real funny things.

aadil77
01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jεώel oғ ωïѕdoм
As'Salaamu Alaaykum

you make it sound hilarious, astagfirullah

;D :hiding:

aadil77
01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
The guy who died... musta been smoking some real funny things.
this thread is pure comedy :D

Crystal
01-20-2012, 11:44 PM
You know it is a recession when things like this are going on - people are doing anything for money!

ardianto
01-21-2012, 02:10 AM
A question. If a golf ball hit her head, will she sue the ball or the golfer?

That's why some people were questioning, why didn' she sue the train company?. But I guess, her lawyer is afraid to sue "The Giant".

sister herb
01-22-2012, 10:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
By this logic ball of course.

Muezzin
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM

That's why some people were questioning, why didn' she sue the train company?. But I guess, her lawyer is afraid to sue "The Giant".
Correct. Though given the circumstances the train company may well have made a goodwill payment out of court if she had sued them. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised she did try and sue them and the report is omitting to state that fact.

Either way, it's just wrong to sue the man's estate. His family have been through enough without silly litigation like this.

aadil77
01-22-2012, 03:49 PM

knowing she's an american, probably both

Ramadhan
01-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I think we can almost be certain that her lawyer had some big say in the matter.

In the US they are called "ambulance lawyers", they are lowly lawyers who chase after any victims of anything/anyone and manipulate them to sue anyone/anything that may have have had any cause in their injuries.

Or did I just read too much John Grisham?

GuestFellow
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Salaam,

Wut? O_o

But the appellate court disagreed. After noting that the case law involving "flying bodies" is sparse, it ruled that "it was reasonably foreseeable" that the high-speed train would kill Joho and fling his body toward a platform where people were waiting.
Ah what load of crap.
Leslie Rosen, who handled Zokhrabov's appeal, said although the circumstances were "very peculiar and gory and creepy," it was a straightforward negligence case, no different than if a train passenger had been injured after the engineer hit the brakes.
How can this be a straightforward negligence case? The appeal court had to deal with this one.

The poor guy is dead.

Can't wait to ride a train over you. Let's see how much control you have over your flying body parts [removed].

Estate.

Honestly, personal injury/negligence cases have gone out of control.

A large portion of his body flew about 100 feet onto the southbound platform, where it struck Gayane Zokhrabov, then 58. She was knocked to the ground, her leg and wrist broken and her shoulder injured.
Oh get over it. Just be lucky that your still alive.

format_quote Originally Posted by Lowe
Erm okay:skeleton:. Give the guy a break, he died. Surely he didn't intend to purposefully hit the woman with his dead body parts.
Claimants don't care. If I was the Judge, I would tell the claimant be lucky that your alive, get some therapy, get a life and move on. Ugh...

Muezzin
01-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Also, if it were a straightforward negligence case 'no different than if a train passenger had been injured after an engineer hit the brakes', why are they pursuing the dead man rather than the train company?

Ambulance chasers...

CosmicPathos
01-22-2012, 05:32 PM
axiom of the century: do not forget to put chains on your body before standing in front of a train lest your dead body hurts someone. And ooh, do not forget to smile right when the train is about to destroy those shiny white teeth. Now is colgate gonna also sue him for bad publicity of their toothpaste?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!