/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Atheist friends

MysticSoumeya
01-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Salam to all,

I am asking your wise advice for I feel I am on a crossroad. Most of my friends are atheists and don't believe in any kind of religion. They are good-hearted and very polite persons. We never discuss about religious facts. We agree on our political views and we all are committed to the Palestinian cause. What should I do? Remain friends with them knowing they don't believe in Allah? Please guide me.

Soumeya

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
01-24-2012, 11:26 AM
:salamext:

If you feel they are affecting your Imaan, then no, don't stay friends with them.

Riana17
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Asalam Dear

Whether Muslim or non Muslim I try to avoid being too attached, acquaintances is good, sharing is good, but when I reached home I dont carry them with me. This is less trouble. I learned it after many years of being good friend to many but in the end I found out they all talk behind me. I still talk to many people especially I do business but I dont let them enter my personal life.

If they are treating you nicely and fairly, there is nothing wrong and also if you know you have good Imaan, being with them is good opportunity to share what Islam is all about (slowly), who knows one day inshallah you can introduce them to Islam? Ofcourse converting people to Islam is no way in our hands but spreading the words of Islam is good way to fulfill our duty.

syed1
01-24-2012, 12:41 PM
I suggest you stay friends with them. But now it is really up to you to set a good example for them of what a true muslims is and inshallah they will see you and how devoted you are and your positive characteristics that they might even consider what islam is really about and change there mind.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Nothing wrong with being friends with them, as long as they don't influence you in a negative way.

~Zaria~
01-24-2012, 07:02 PM
:salamext:

This is such an important topic.

The company we keep, has important impacts on ones own character formation....and has the potential to influence our imaans either positively, or negatively.

The old sayings: 'We are the company we keep' or 'Birds of a feather, flock together' - are indeed true.

Islam warns us against joining those whose hearts are not attached to Allah and His nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam), and tells us repeatedly to keep in the company of the pious.

Allahu ta ‘ala says:

And keep thy soul content with those who call on their Lord morning and evening, seeking His Face; and let not thine eyes pass beyond them, seeking the pomp and glitter of this Life; nor obey any whose heart We have permitted to neglect Our Dhikr [remembrance], one who follows his own desires, whose case has gone beyond all bounds. (Suratul Kahf, 28th Ayah.)

Muslim :: Book 32 : Hadith 6361

Abu Musa reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying:

The similitude of good company and that of bad company is that of the owner of musk and of the one (iron-smith) blowing bellows, and the owner of musk would either offer you free of charge or you would buy it from him or you would. smell its pleasant odour, and so far as one who blows the. bellows is concerned, he would either burn your clothes or you shall have to smell its repugnant smell.

i.e. In the same manner that entering a musk shop (i.e keeping in the company of the pious) will leave an impression on you, so too does the company of those with bad character.

Ask yourself:

What do you stand to benefit from joining such people, who lack imaan, live their lives according to their whims and desires, whose sense of morality stems from their own common sense principles, rather than divine order?

If our goal is the Aakhirah, then EVERYTHING we do in this dunya, should be directed in strengthening our taqwa.....not weakening it.

And to those who believe that their own aqeedah is strong enough, that you are safe from falling into a manner of life that is far removed from Islam - do realise, that your imaan is an amaanat - a trust.
And the one who neglects this trust, can just as easily lose it.

"......Whoever feels that they are not in need of Allaah to safeguard his religion even for the blinking of an eye then He will take it from him."
(Sufyaan al-Thawree)

I am not saying that we should not speak to others, because they do not share our beliefs.
Yes - be kind, friendly and polite to everyone.
And if they ask you about Islam - do engage them, and take the opportunity for dawah.

But, do keep your distance.....as tempting and appealing their way of life may be.

At the end of the day - you have to work on YOUR imaan......it is YOU that will be accountable for your actions on Qiyamat.
Your first and foremost priority is YOU.
For the sake of friendship ......it is not worth risking and weakening your own imaan in the process.

And also, do realise: before we can even speak about trying to change OTHERS.....we have a lot of work to be done on OURSELVES first.

Salaam

Chocolate
01-24-2012, 08:09 PM
i think you can be friends with them as long as they don't push you to do something against Islam.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Riana is very wise mashAllah and I fully agree with her.

The only friend worth keeping is the one who Allaah himself will take as a friend!!!!!

Galaxy
01-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I know we are inclined to answer based on our opinions but sister Zaria backs up her answer with proofs masha Allah

CosmicPathos
01-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Are these atheists palestinians? And of the same gender as you are?

You must immediately shun these friends. You do not have to insult them, but you should restrict your interactions with them at once! How can you let atheists be your friends? Our friends have deep affect on your mentality, do you want your mentality to be influenced by atheist, whether you are conscious or unconscious of it?

I do not get how a theist can be "truly" friends with an atheist.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!