/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Drowsy

peace_maker
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I feel very drowsy throughout the day even after 8 hours of sleep. I don't get straight 8 hours of sleep though. I sleep from 1 am - 6 am and 11 am - 2 pm. But this had been the routine, and I'm experiencing drowsiness only since a week. My eye lids are always heavy and wanna shut, forcing me to glare. I can't even read a book without ending up with my eyes stressed. Sometimes, I have headache. It's really hard to keep myself active. Well, I'm 18 and take multi-vitamin supplements every alternate days. (I take them every now and then) And, I don't work hard or excercise regularly... Does anybody else have such a problem? What do you think is wrong with me?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
02-07-2012, 02:18 PM
:salamext:

You have to exercise.

Exercising makes one feel awake, alert and helps to concentrate and focus; it can also help to improve sleeping patterns.

Hamza Asadullah
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
I feel very drowsy throughout the day even after 8 hours of sleep. I don't get straight 8 hours of sleep though. I sleep from 1 am - 6 am and 11 am - 2 pm. But this had been the routine, and I'm experiencing drowsiness only since a week. My eye lids are always heavy and wanna shut, forcing me to glare. I can't even read a book without ending up with my eyes stressed. Sometimes, I have headache. It's really hard to keep myself active. Well, I'm 18 and take multi-vitamin supplements every alternate days. (I take them every now and then) And, I don't work hard or excercise regularly... Does anybody else have such a problem? What do you think is wrong with me?
:sl:

You should see the doctor immediately as you want to first rule out whether it is an underlying medical condition. Whatever the issue the doctor will recommend you the best course of action inshallah.

'Abd-al Latif
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
This may help.

There are many reasons why physical activity is good for your body – having a healthy heart and supple joints are just two.

Physical activity is also good for your mental health. Experts believe that exercise releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel good. Regular exercise can also boost your self-esteem and help you concentrate, sleep, look and feel better.

"When I left the gym that morning I felt as if someone had given me a million pounds – it was the sense of achievement."

Being active doesn’t have to mean going to the gym, taking up jogging or wearing lycra. There are lots of ways to be active - and they don’t need to cost much money.

As well as releasing natural chemicals that improve your mood and make you feel happier, having an active lifestyle can do more to help your mental health.

Taking part in physical activities offers many opportunities. It’s a great way to meet people. And it can be a chance to give yourself a well-deserved break from the hustle and bustle of daily life – to find some quiet time.

Leading an active life can help raise your self-worth and improve your confidence. It can help you feel valued – and value yourself.

Exercise and physical activity can provide something worthwhile in your life. Something that you really enjoy, that gives you a goal to aim for and a sense of purpose.

Here are a few of the benefits:
  • less tension, stress and mental fatigue
  • a natural energy boost
  • improved sleep
  • a sense of achievement
  • focus in life and motivation
  • less anger or frustration
  • a healthy appetite
  • better social life
  • having fun.
How active do I need to be?

You should aim to do 30 minutes of moderate exercise five times a week. It may sound like a lot, but it isn’t as daunting as it first appears.
Moderate exercise means being energetic enough so you:
  • breathe a little heavier than normal, but aren’t out of breath
  • feel warmer, but don’t end up hot and sweaty.
You don’t have to leap in at the full amount.
  • Build up slowly at a pace that suits you
  • You don’t have to do a solid half hour either. Find three ten-minute slots each day if that suits you – or two quarter hours.
Getting started

Once you have decided that you want to be more physically active, there are a few points it’s worth thinking about. Apart from improving your physical and mental well-being, what else do you want to get out of being active?
Do you want to:
  • make your daily life more energetic?
  • be indoors or out?
  • meet people?
  • do a group or individual activity?
  • try a new sport?
An active lifestyle doesn’t necessarily mean doing a sporty exercise, or limiting yourself to just one activity. A walk, doing housework and gardening are all physical activities.

Make time
  • What time do you have available for exercise?
  • You may need to re-jig commitments to make room for extra activities.
  • Alternatively, choose something that fits into your busy schedule.
Be practical
  • Consider any issues that could affect you.
  • Will you need support from friends and family?
  • Will your active lifestyle have an impact on others in your life?
  • Find out how much it will cost and, if necessary, what you can do to make it affordable.
Right for you
  • What kind of activity would suit you best?
  • Is there a specific part of your body you want to exercise?
  • Do you need to be more physically active at home?
  • Do you want a change of scene?
  • Do you like a structured activity that someone else has organised?
Making it part of daily life

Adopting a more active lifestyle can be as simple as doing daily tasks more energetically, or making small changes to your routine.

Here are a few suggestions.

At home
  • Walk the children or grandchildren to school, then jog home.
  • Push the mower with extra vigour.
  • Get an exercise DVD – and use it!
  • Speed up the housework – vac harder and faster till you’re warm.
  • Put on some music for a ten minute dance.
  • Apply some real elbow grease when cleaning the car.
  • When you do get a break, go for a swim.
At work
  • Time your daily walks to and from the train station. Can you walk faster?
  • Use the stairs for journeys less than four floors.
  • Don’t pick up the phone, walk to see a colleague.
  • Use your lunch hour – take a brisk walk, do an exercise class or go for a swim
  • Walk or cycle a slightly longer route home – the change of scenery will do you good too.
  • Stop at the gym on your way home.
Out and about
  • Leave the car at home for short journeys.
  • Get off the bus a stop earlier, or get on a stop later.
  • Park at the far end of the supermarket car park, or walk to the shops.
  • Join in with your children’s/grandchildren’s games – be part of the football team.
  • Jog and walk the dog – jog ten paces, then walk ten.
  • Join an exercise class at your community centre – and meet your neighbours.
Overcoming barriers

It can be a bit scary making changes to your life. Most people get anxious about trying something new. Practical and emotional support from friends, family and experts really does help.

Fear of failure
Start with a beginners’ class then move on to the advanced group. Set realistic targets – start your new running schedule with a 1km walk or jog, then increase gradually.

Responsibilities

Having children or being a carer can make time scarce. Who can help give you a break? What services can you use, like a community crèche?

Money

Is cost a worry? Many councils offer discounted rates at gyms and leisure centres. Alternatively, choose an activity that is cheaper.

Social anxiety

Joining a new group can be daunting, so ask a friend to go along with you. If you are uncomfortable using communal changing rooms, or with the clothing you need to wear, leisure centre staff may have a solution. Otherwise try a single-sex gym or exercise class.

Feeling lost

If you can’t find your way round the leisure centre, ask the experts. Staff are there to help.

Transport

People at your activity class may share lifts, or try walking or cycling. If you are eligible, use your council dial-and-ride service. However you travel, always think how you will stay safe.

Overwhelmed

If life is getting on top of you, talk with your GP about how you feel before you get active. GPs can prescribe an exercise scheme where you are given free or discounted access to a range of leisure facilities for a period of time.

It could be anything from the gym to belly dancing, depending what is available and suitable for you. A referral officer provides you with support, motivation and advice and there are interviews at key points to monitor how you are getting on.

Staying on track

After the initial motivation, maintaining an active lifestyle can have its challenges. Sometimes staying active is hard, both physically and mentally – but there are plenty of rewards.

Stress

This is a normal part of life. Keeping active can help you deal with it. Remember, the natural chemicals that exercise produces can help put a smile on your face.

Feeling low

When you feel down it can be hard to motivate yourself. Ask your friends for some support. Or try a different activity if that helps.

Seasons

When the clocks change for winter that evening cycle might not be so appealing – or safe. Create a winter exercise plan. Try an indoor activity where it’s warm and dry.

Energy

Not all of us leap out of bed full of beans and ready for exercise. Work with your energy highs and lows. Accept that some days it’s best to take a break.

Injury or illness

Always ease back into your exercise routine – take advice from your GP if you need to. If an injury is going to be an on-going problem, switch to a more suitable activity.

Rewards

There are many positive spins offs from being active. Enjoy the ups – give yourself a quiet pat the back or celebrate with others.

Loving life

Nothing can beat that natural high. Take a moment to recognise how you feel more positive about yourself and life.

Sharing

Taking part in an activity with others chance to share what you are thinking and feeling. Achieving a result together can bring real feeling of satisfaction.

Time out

Maybe a half hour brisk walk gives you space to think about things. Clear your head well as build your fitness!

Healthy life

Being active can make you start thinking about your general health.

In the long run

Long term, staying active needs sustained motivation. You’ll find your own way of doing this with time and experience. Don’t see small setbacks as failures, just something to learn from.

Record

Keeping an exercise record can be helpful. As well as noting what you do, record how you feel. It can be a good way to remember the ups. Work out how you’ll avoid repeating the downs.

Goals

Setting goals to measure progress might motivate you.
  • Use a cycle computer – look to improve your average speed.
  • Push in an extra stomach crunch at circuit training.
  • Use a pedometer to measure how far you walk each day.
  • Swim an extra length.
How do you feel when you reach your goal? And what will your new goal be?
If you didn’t reach your goal, work out why. Was it unrealistic? Were there influences outside your control, like bad weather? Or do you need to try just a little bit harder?

Remember, you won’t see improvement every day. Making the regular commitment to doing physical activity is an achievement in itself.

New motivation

If your original motivation was to complete a challenge, like a fun run or a sponsored mountain climb, set your sights on a new event.
Do you need to look for new people to be active with, like joining a running club or rambling group? Or is there a cause you’d like to fundraise for? There’s always a challenge out there if you’re willing to accept it.
Source: http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-...mental-health/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KashifB
02-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I only feel that way if I've only had 4 or 5 hours sleep. If I get 8 hours whether in one go or two, I don't feel drowsy or tired. You should get yourself checked out.

peace_maker
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
:salamext:

You have to exercise.

Exercising makes one feel awake, alert and helps to concentrate and focus; it can also help to improve sleeping patterns.
:wa: I did start on cardio, after it was discussed here a lot. Then I dropped it 2-3 weeks ago. :hmm: Come to think of it, it did keep me active and in a healthy mood. :hiding: I guess, I'll take it up again, inshaallah.

Hamza Asadullah
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM

:wa: I did start on cardio, after it was discussed here a lot. Then I dropped it 2-3 weeks ago. :hmm: Come to think of it, it did keep me active and in a healthy mood. :hiding: I guess, I'll take it up again, inshaallah.

You should get yourself checked out just incase just to rule out any underlying medical condition. It is also recommended to consult a doctor before you start any exercise regime.

peace_maker
02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah

You should get yourself checked out just incase just to rule out any underlying medical condition.
:wa: The doctors here aren't worth consulting. They'd obviously send me home with absolutely nothing, that includes medicines, advice or assurance, or send me home with a pack a medicines, that have no link to my problem and I'd end up in a real problem. :hmm: I'd rather treat myself at home.

It is also recommended to consult a doctor before you start any exercise regime.
I only started on a begginers level from a trusted site. I also keep all the cautions in mind. :)

Hamza Asadullah
02-08-2012, 01:40 PM

:wa: The doctors here aren't worth consulting. They'd obviously send me home with absolutely nothing, that includes medicines, advice or assurance, or send me home with a pack a medicines, that have no link to my problem and I'd end up in a real problem. :hmm: I'd rather treat myself at home.

I only started on a begginers level from a trusted site. I also keep all the cautions in mind. :)

You should still get yourself checked sister just incase. Assuming that doctors may fob us off with tablets etc should never prevent anyone from getting symptoms or general health checked out. It is best to rule out any possible underlying medical condition.

The reason for checking ones health before undertaking an exercise regime is to ensure our body and in particular our heart can handle the extra stress we will put it under due to the strenuous activity from exercise. It is far better to be safe than sorry.

And Allah knows best in all matters

peace_maker
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM

You should still get yourself checked sister just incase. Assuming that doctors may fob us off with tablets etc should never prevent anyone from getting symptoms or general health checked out. It is best to rule out any possible underlying medical condition.

The reason for checking ones health before undertaking an exercise regime is to ensure our body and in particular our heart can handle the extra stress we will put it under due to the strenuous activity from exercise. It is far better to be safe than sorry.

And Allah knows best in all matters
:wa:
I understand what you are saying. And you are absolutely right, too. I guess, I'll wait a few days more before I get myself checked.... I heard something about 'sleep apnea'. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Salahudeen
02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm going through the same thing, but mine is because I'm not sleeping at night, I can't switch my mind off for some reason, its as if I don't know how to relax my mind into a peaceful state.

peace_maker
02-08-2012, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I'm going through the same thing, but mine is because I'm not sleeping at night, I can't switch my mind off for some reason, its as if I don't know how to relax my mind into a peaceful state.

Yeah, it even happens me. Only at night, everything rushes back into me. But I can push those thoughts away if I want, unless I'm extremely tensed/depressed. Here's the secret, Just shut your eyes and lie dead (making no movement).

IbnAbdulHakim
02-08-2012, 04:58 PM
do 30-60 (whatever level you feel your on) burpees after each prayer, thats sure to keep you going !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yWBNgRHrc

~Zaria~
02-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Assalamu-alaikum sister,

As brother Hamza has mentioned, you should get yourself checked out by a doctor.

Im not sure of the medical resources in your area, but if you are wary of the doctors there - then maybe you can tell them what test you would like done specifically, such as:

- Full blood count (or just a haemoglobin), and iron studies - your symptoms could possibly be related to an iron deficiency anaemia which is common in young women due to monthly losses.

- TSH: this is a screening test for your thyroid function (if you have been putting on weight recently, feeling lethargic, perhaps suffering constipation, etc - it can be symptoms of an under active thyroid).

- Fasting glucose (esp. if you are constantly thirsty/ passing lots of urine every day).

- If you are having any other symptoms, apart from the tiredness - then other tests may be necessary as indicated.......

And exercise - is a great idea too (this is advice that I need to be giving myself too :hmm: )

Hope you feel better soon, insha Allah.

Salaam :)

Salahudeen
02-08-2012, 10:25 PM

Yeah, it even happens me. Only at night, everything rushes back into me. But I can push those thoughts away if I want, unless I'm extremely tensed/depressed. Here's the secret, Just shut your eyes and lie dead (making no movement).
Well I stayed awake for 24 hours hoping to sort my sleep pattern out so that I'm going to bed at a decent hour, I felt so tired when I slept but I woke up after only 3 hours feeling wide awake, in the last 28 hours I've only slept 3 hours and I feel wide awake :hmm: the trouble is I'll feel tired and drowsy now at the wrong time like when I need to be awake for fajar :( going to see doctor in the morning.

Ghazalah
02-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Well I stayed awake for 24 hours hoping to sort my sleep pattern out so that I'm going to bed at a decent hour, I felt so tired when I slept but I woke up after only 3 hours feeling wide awake, in the last 28 hours I've only slept 3 hours and I feel wide awake :hmm: the trouble is I'll feel tired at a time when I need to be awake like fajar :( going to see doctor in the morning.
Do you have a lot caffeine in your diet? That may be why.

I mean it's not something to do with your body cuz you've been lacking sleep physically, so it's either your diet, or hormonal imbalances. Or something playing up on your mind and you just feel edgy/uneasy.

To the OP- I agree with Hamza, sudden episodes of being drowsy can in fact be a symptom of a bigger medical problem, so inshAllah check yourself if you see no change over the next few days.

Exercising, keeps you healthy, more relaxed and a sense peace of mind, very good all round, do continue taking that up inshAllah.

Hamza Asadullah
02-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Well I stayed awake for 24 hours hoping to sort my sleep pattern out so that I'm going to bed at a decent hour, I felt so tired when I slept but I woke up after only 3 hours feeling wide awake, in the last 28 hours I've only slept 3 hours and I feel wide awake :hmm: the trouble is I'll feel tired and drowsy now at the wrong time like when I need to be awake for fajar :( going to see doctor in the morning.

Ask your doctor to refer you to a sleep specialist as they would be familiar with your condition and how to tackle it. Meanwhile I have found this very useful:

Productive Muslim sleep routine:

http://productivemuslim.com/producti...sleep-routine/

Ramadan90
02-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Its maybe the food you eat? What kind of food do you eat? If you eat heavy food, most of your energy goes to digestion, hence the drowsiness.

What I would recommend you to do is to incorporate raw food in your diet. If you eat raw food 80-100% your energy level will increasy enormously. I only need 4 hours of sleep due to this diet.

Ramadan90
02-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Exercise, as our brothers and sisters have mentioned earlier, is just equally important as the food.

Ramadan90
02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Sister, I would REALLY recommend you to try eat raw vegetables and fruits for at least 2-3 days and you will immediately feel the change(even in 1 day). Do you have a blender at home? I drink my food.;D

Buy vegetables and fruits that you can mix with you blender, drink a lot since there are not so much calories in fruits and vegetables.

You will thank me. Try this out!

Ramadan90
02-08-2012, 11:19 PM
OBS: After like 24 hours you will have so much energy that you wont be able to sleep, you will only need to sleep 4-5 hours.

peace_maker
02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
^ I don't think my diet has anything to do with this. I have a balanced diet. And have nuts and fruits daily. Everything is included in my diet, from green leafy veggies to sea food. :)

peace_maker
02-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Brother, I think you might be having Calcium or Magnesium deficiency. They have a lot to do with insomnia.

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
Assalamu-alaikum sister,

As brother Hamza has mentioned, you should get yourself checked out by a doctor.

Im not sure of the medical resources in your area, but if you are wary of the doctors there - then maybe you can tell them what test you would like done specifically, such as:

- Full blood count (or just a haemoglobin), and iron studies - your symptoms could possibly be related to an iron deficiency anaemia which is common in young women due to monthly losses.

- TSH: this is a screening test for your thyroid function (if you have been putting on weight recently, feeling lethargic, perhaps suffering constipation, etc - it can be symptoms of an under active thyroid).

- Fasting glucose (esp. if you are constantly thirsty/ passing lots of urine every day).

- If you are having any other symptoms, apart from the tiredness - then other tests may be necessary as indicated.......

And exercise - is a great idea too (this is advice that I need to be giving myself too :hmm: )

Hope you feel better soon, insha Allah.

Salaam :)
:wa: Sadly, that's the case. We have to tell them to make this and that tests. :hmm: Then they ask us, 'who is the doctor?' Anyway, thanks for your response. :) And yes, I'm planning to put work-outs im my schedule as well.

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
do 30-60 (whatever level you feel your on) burpees after each prayer, thats sure to keep you going !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yWBNgRHrc
That's powerful! I tried it once... guess I need a lotta practice to do. :hmm:

peace_maker
02-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I think it has something to do with my surrounding. I went shopping today and I didn't feel drowsy at all. It makes sense, with the exam atmosphere at home :hmm:... Maybe I should get out often.

joyous fairy
02-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Assalam alaykum..

As most people have suggested, you should go and see a doctor. You might have a vitamin deficiency or something else in your blood. I have noticed that teenagers often go through drowsiness phases but it might be something else so get checked just to make sure.

InshaAllah its nothing major.

Abz2000
02-09-2012, 11:47 PM
i managed to stay awake 39 hours last couple of days because i needed to be somewhere on time, and then didn't even feel like sleeping today,
kept finding things to do just to avoid sleeping, somehow fell asleep and woke up 8 hours later completely fresh,
weird, i think my body forgot about the day i missed and decided to just write it off.

but i've noticed when i don't do much exercise or the days i take off and i sit at my pc i feel tired throughout, do you not walk a lot?

~Zaria~
02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Assalamu-alaikum,

Insomnia is a growing problem - thats commonly related to our lifestyles, diet and the types of activities that we engage in everyday.

Stress and anxiety (from work/ school and family commitments), lack of exercise/ physical activity, poor eating habits that include much caffeinated drinks, medications - are some of these factors.

Add to this, our over-stimulated enviroment that we find ourselves in - TV, music, internet, video games, etc - and one can understand why it is becoming more and more difficult for our poor minds to find rest.

The problem becomes a vicious cycle when, after a few bad expierences of not being able to fall asleep at night - your mind sub-consciously associates sleeping as being a stressful event --> which makes it even harder to fall asleep, no matter how fatigued you may be.
And if you have resorted to sleeping pills over a long term - bad idea......trying to break the psychological dependancy of sedatives just adds to the problem.

I speak from expierence - having suffered insomnia for a few years (related to crazy working hours, studying, and juggling family life) - Alhamdulillah, I am now free from this problem.

It took a session of hypnosis (yep - I was pretty desperate to get off the sedatives and get a good nights sleep) followed by a month of re-inforcement.....to break my psychological barriers that had developed with regards to sleeping.
Alhamdulillah - now, insomnia is just a bad memory from the past for me.

Im not suggesting that you go for hypnosis.
Instead, start by changing simple habits at home:

- no caffeine before bedtime
- no TV/ internet use, etc late at night (just the light from the screen can be a source of over-stimualting your mind)
- exercise
- stay away from sleeping pills, unless absolutely necessary, e.g over a long flight, etc.
- salaah
- reading the 3 Quls, surah yaseen before bedtime
- read zikr whilst trying to fall asleep
- relax: do not stress yourself out about falling asleep - tell yourself constantly: 'Sleep is not a problem for me. I have no problems falling asleep, etc.' Eventually, your mind accepts this re-inforcement and acts upon it, insha Allah.
- do not spend too much time thinking about it/ stressing over not having slept

And make duaa.
This too, is a test from Allah.....only those who have went 48hrs+ of sleepness, often enough, while still expected to function as a normal human being, will understand this.:exhausted
Sleep is our 'mini death' here on earth - a gift from the Almighty.

May you have a good, refreshing nights rest, insha Allah.
Remember: you have no problems with sleeping! :p

Salaam

peace_maker
02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
but i've noticed when i don't do much exercise or the days i take off and i sit at my pc i feel tired throughout, do you not walk a lot?

..Er...no.. :-[ I'm very moody. When I'm in the mood I do all sorts of things, when I'm not... I just sit. :hmm:

Abz2000
02-10-2012, 04:44 PM
i enjoy walking to work when i'm not late and listening to audio lectures or Quran to keep learning and increasing in psychological strength to,
and normally i get into work relaxed and cheerful, it really helps take away the moodiness too
and check this out, my next door neighbour was telling me about it today, apparently flushes the vessels and increases blood flow

[Link Removed]

peace_maker
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey, everybody! Good news! :D My drowsiness is gone for good, alhamdulillah. Among the common factors of hypersomnia, i.e., anxiety, depression, sorrow, boredom, tiredness, calcium overdose, thyroid... Which do you think was mine?.... Yup..boredom. My boredom went away along with math exam. :p And I also started exercising again. Thanks everyone who tried to help me out.... GOOD BYE, DROWSINESS!

Abz2000
02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
though you'd have to ask a knowledgeable scholar about any alcohol content, though it's negligible it apparently doesn't cause drowsiness.

peace_maker
02-14-2012, 08:46 AM
^ What alcohol?? ^o)

Abz2000
02-16-2012, 09:13 AM
yes, i found out it has wine extract, but luckily the mod removed the link before anyone else read it,
the alcohol thing is very complicated so better just try and avoid it unless it's life and death.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!