/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why are many Atheists so obsessed with Religion ?

truthseeker63
02-07-2012, 04:53 PM
I notice that Atheists say they hate Religion but they always want to debate Beilevers in God why is this ? Atheists spend a lot of time trying to disprove Religion does anyone agree ? I also notice that Non Muslims who hate Islam seem obsessed with Islam.

The Root of All Evil? Part 1: The God Delusion. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84641446868316#

The Root of All Evil? Part 2: The Virus of Faith. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61192220036050

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crimsontide06
02-09-2012, 12:23 AM
religion(definition) = A strong spiritual belief about something.

Atheism could be considered a religion itself...kinda ironic o_O

Ramadan90
02-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Athiest have been known for ages to attack religious people, especially Islam. Nothing new.

Burninglight
02-16-2012, 04:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
I notice that Atheists say they hate Religion but they always want to debate Beilevers in God why is this ? Atheists spend a lot of time trying to disprove Religion does anyone agree ? I also notice that Non Muslims who hate Islam seem obsessed with Islam.
Yes, it is maybe because athesits are not 100% sure and they are looking for proof from believers that God really doesn't exist. IOW, they use you to confirm their doubts, but when believers give a good reason for God's existence, they feel threathen and try to out talk you to where you cannot gainsay; hence they get trap into dialogue. Now for "non-Muslims who hate Islam and are obsessed with Islam" I wonder if you could give an example. If you are referring to Biblical Christians such as myself. Did you ever think that we are not obsessed with Islam;" instead, maybe we love God and love Muslims? If you aren't referring to Christians, then I don't know why any would be obsessed with what they hate. Maybe they have OCD.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sothis Girl
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Yep I joined a cross-religious forum too and there is this atheist member who are sooooo freaking obsessed to attack religions :p. He said he doesn't believe in paranormal phenomena that he became godless, but it's his obsession to attack even scientific proofs about God and ESP phenomena that's too ridiculous.

GodIsAll
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Well said.

Pygoscelis
02-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Thought I was done with this forum, but since you directly asked atheists a question and since nobody else is responding, I guess I should.

First, atheists in general are NOT obsessed with religion, nor do they hate religion. Atheists include everybody who don't believe in gods. That includes many budhists, taoists, as well as secular jews, secular hindus and lapsed christians, and just plain non-believers who hold no animosity and often no interest in religion whatsoever.

Those atheists who are concerned with religion, such as the ones you quoted, and even such as myself (who are not the same as those you quoted but nevertheless are concerned about religion) are often concerned for very good reason.

Imagine for a moment if you lived in a society where most people believe in faeries and leprechauns (such society has existed). Imagine the people taught their children these myths. Imagine they tried to enact laws based on these myths. Imagine some of them started killing each other over these myths, stopping marriages of others based on these myths, fighting agaisnt life saving scientific research because of these myths, refusing their kids blood transfusions or otherwise abusing their kids because of these myths, etc.

Imagine if these believers in faeries and leprechauns pemeated all aspects of your society to the point that you couldn't get elected to office without at least pretending to believe in leprechauns and immagine if they declared that those who don't believe in faeries and leprechauns can't be good or moral people, because morals come from the faery queen at the end of the rainbow, in the pot 'o gold.

Imagine a long history of people warring over the right interpretation of the book of rainbows and writing on internet boards like this one that they hope everybody who doesn't beleive in leprechauns drops dead, and imagine the moderators and other members being more concerned about people drawing cartoons of rainbows.

I think you would be concerned too.

You may even start to generalize people who believe in leprechauns and faeries as all having the above issues and problems, even though they surely would not, and you may write books like the "Leprechaun Delusion" or "How Faery belief poisons everything"... ...or you may not.

But even if don't, you can be pretty sure that other nonbelievers will. Then somebody on an internet board like this one may start a thread like this one and ask "why are you nonbelievers so obsessed with faeries and leprechauns", even though you yourself are not.

Now.... I predict that many here will not actually read or think about what I just posted and will instead avoid doing so by acting offended and outraged over my making an analogy of Gods and mythical creatures. If you do that then you completely missed the point. To atheists, you see, Gods ARE mythical creatures, and you can no more disprove the existence of faeries than I can disprove the existence of Allah.

That's really all there is to it. And those oft repeated claims from theists about atheists being nervous and unsure about their lack of belief, or "hating God" (which makes no sense at all for somebody to hate something they don't believe exists) just isn't so for most of us.

Now you've heard it from an atheist, and you can discuss amongst yourselves. I'll refrain from posting again. Have a nice weekend everybody :)

Burninglight
02-18-2012, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Now.... I predict that many here will not actually read or think about what I just posted and will instead avoid doing so by acting offended and outraged over my making an analogy of Gods and mythical creatures. If you do that then you completely missed the point. To atheists, you see, Gods ARE mythical creatures, and you can no more disprove the existence of faeries than I can disprove the existence of Allah.
I understand what you saying and it seems to make prefect sense, but the Bible says there is a way that seems right to a man, but that way leads to death. You might be on the battle field and say that you don't believe in war. That may be true, but all the same, you should be very careful the bullets are real. Well, our weapons are not against flesh and blood but against prinicipalities and spiritual wickedness in high places. You are right we cannot prove fairies don't exists, and we both know that they don't, but we Christians and Muslims know the God of Abraham exists, because we see the work of His hands. You are without excuse! Jesus has changed my life - fairies haven't!

Abz2000
02-18-2012, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Burninglight
Now for "non-Muslims who hate Islam and are obsessed with Islam" I wonder if you could give an example.
pat robertson
billy graham
terry jones

Abz2000
02-18-2012, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Imagine for a moment if you lived in a society where most people believe in faeries and leprechauns (such society has existed). Imagine the people taught their children these myths. Imagine they tried to enact laws based on these myths. Imagine some of them started killing each other over these myths, stopping marriages of others based on these myths, fighting agaisnt life saving scientific research because of these myths, refusing their kids blood transfusions or otherwise abusing their kids because of these myths, etc.
err, yep, they tell us our ancestors were apes and try to teach it to children, and yes, darwinism and the malthusian catastrophie and the chinese one child policy and forced abortion has been the main reason behind most of the murders this planet has ever seen in such concentration, and yes, they try to base complete systems on it and force people to accept it. soon they may even want to prevent marriages on genetic mismatches.

Burninglight
02-19-2012, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
pat robertson
billy graham
terry jones
Billy Graham / Why him? His message today is supportive of all groups
Pat Robertson / yea I cn see you say that for him
Terry Jones I never hear of

Burninglight
02-19-2012, 12:39 AM
err, yep, they tell us our ancestors were apes and try to teach it to children, and yes, darwinism and the malthusian catastrophie and the chinese one child policy and forced abortion has been the main reason behind most of the murders this planet has ever seen in such concentration, and yes, they try to base complete systems on it and force people to accept it. soon they may even want to prevent marriages on genetic mismatches.
That is a good point. I like that one. gotta remember it

Galaxy
02-19-2012, 02:21 AM
:sl:
There are atheist that attack people who follow a religion just by mentioning harmless things such as 'God bless you' and there are ones who spend a great deal of time trying to prove this point and disprove others but there are ones that are not either of those. There seems to be a lot but maybe it's just because they are very vocal and spend a lot of time on their cause

Now for "non-Muslims who hate Islam and are obsessed with Islam" I wonder if you could give an example.
Pamela Geller, Robert Spencer, Ayaan Ali Hirsi, Wafa Sultan...check out this site.

Pygoscelis
02-19-2012, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Galaxy
There are atheist that attack people who follow a religion just by mentioning harmless things such as 'God bless you'
Such atheists are as silly as the theists who claim that an atheist saying "god bless you" when somebody sneezes shows they believe in God (which is as silly as saying somebody saying "holy cow" makes them a Hindu).

GuestFellow
02-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Some atheists do not like religion and want to see it end. I would not say this is an obsession.

GuestFellow
02-19-2012, 04:13 PM
soon they may even want to prevent marriages on genetic mismatches.
Salaam,

That's interesting.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!