/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Trinity and Math ?

truthseeker63
03-04-2012, 10:28 AM
This is a humoristic semi-serious treatise on the Trinity from a perspective of mathematical theology. :-) !!

And how could it be otherwise, this one matheological revelation will come to you in three parts.

Dedicated to all the great Muslim mathematicians of
all time = the past + the present + the future!
[one time] [another time] [and one more time]

Analogies can be misleading, but they are
the least misleading thing that we have.
Samuel Butler

One of the recurring ways of ridiculing the Trinity from the Muslim side (and some others too) is to present the equation

1 + 1 + 1 = 1

and then smile and think that is enough to expose the utter craziness of the concept and showing the completely illogical content of the Christian faith.

Now, it seems that the people which use this kind of reasoning are apparently stuck in their preschool education and have never heard that there are other operations one can perform on numbers than just addition.

1 x 1 x 1 = 1

wouldn't lend itself quite as well for the effect those people want to achieve. And the Trinity is a powerful revelation of the Almighty God, so "raising to the power of a number" might be an appropriate 'composition' for relating the 'three Ones' mathematically, which is giving us....

See the rest of the article.

Does make sense 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 is like 1 x 1 x 1 = 1 I always thought a way to disprove the Trinity was 1+1+1=3 would disprove the Christian Trinity of 1+1+1=1 am I wrong ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truthseeker63
04-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Does anyone agree ?

dqsunday
04-24-2012, 01:29 AM
The Deen Show had an interesting show about this, I think it was called Top 10 Reason why Jesus cannot be God. If I recall correctly the concept of the 'Holy Trinity' was a New Testamont 'add on' which didn't exist in the Old Testamont. Either way I never felt it made all that much sense..probably why I gave up on Christianity when I was old enough I didn't have to go to Church if I didn't want to. Also why Islam makes much more sense to me as a way of life and religion and why I converted.

As for the numbers game.. well, the Deen Show episode explains far better why Jesus cannot be God, than I could.

Orangeduck
04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Hello. I'm brand new to this forum. As for the Trinity, there is nothing mathematical about it and it's a very simple concept (a concept found in the old testament).

God is invisible (1)
God has taken a visible (often humanized) form (2)
God has a Holy Spirit (3)

The trinity is not meant to be thought of in terms of math.

I will give you examples.

God is invisible. Both the old and new testament describe God as invisible.

God has taken a visible form. Genesis 18 talks about God taking the form of a human. Exodus talks about God taking the form of a pillar of fire. The new testament says Christ is the visible image of God

God's holy spirit is mentioned both in the old and new testament.

There you have it...the trinity. It's very simple, it's found in the entire Bible, it's not a late addition, and it's not something that can be expressed in math terms

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Orangeduck; and welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

In the spirit of searching for a greater interfaith understanding and friendship

Eric

~ Sabr ~
04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Orangeduck
Hello. I'm brand new to this forum. As for the Trinity, there is nothing mathematical about it and it's a very simple concept (a concept found in the old testament).

God is invisible (1)
God has taken a visible (often humanized) form (2)
God has a Holy Spirit (3)

The trinity is not meant to be thought of in terms of math.

I will give you examples.

God is invisible. Both the old and new testament describe God as invisible.

God has taken a visible form. Genesis 18 talks about God taking the form of a human. Exodus talks about God taking the form of a pillar of fire. The new testament says Christ is the visible image of God

God's holy spirit is mentioned both in the old and new testament.

There you have it...the trinity. It's very simple, it's found in the entire Bible, it's not a late addition, and it's not something that can be expressed in math terms
The trinity cannot be possible. The trinity defines God to be in forms of 3 different beings, where the needs of all 3 are different, the properties of all 3 are different.

Hence it does not work.

introspective
06-30-2012, 06:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah

The trinity cannot be possible. The trinity defines God to be in forms of 3 different beings, where the needs of all 3 are different, the properties of all 3 are different.

Hence it does not work.
Yeah, I remember someone trying to pull a fast one on me with the analogy of water and its three phases (gas, liquid, and solid).

muslimah bird
07-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Yes sister haafizah and bro introspective you're both correct

3 states of Water cannot be compared to God. Property of water remains H2O ,whereas when God becomes a man , he becomes mortal and needs to eat , sleep, he can die etc

Eric H
07-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Greetings and peace be with you muslimah bird, and welcome to the forum;

whereas when God becomes a man , he becomes mortal and needs to eat , sleep, he can die etc
We need to eat, sleep and die, but like Jesus, we can also have eternal life after death.

In the spirit of praying to the same One God.

Eric

muslimah bird
07-01-2012, 07:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you muslimah bird, and welcome to the forum;

We need to eat, sleep and die, but like Jesus, we can also have eternal life after death.

In the spirit of praying to the same One God.

Eric
Yes brother eric ,we know that there is an eternal life after we enter paradise or hell as the below given hadith , but my post above was directed to the fact that God cant change forms and cant be mortal and immortal at the same time . Can you prove this wrong ?

"After the people of Paradise enter Paradise and the people of the Fire enter Hell, death will be brought forward [i.e. grasped at the throat] in the form of a spotted ram. It will be on the wall that separates the people of Paradise from the people of Hell. Then it will be said: 'O people of Paradise!' Thereupon the people of Paradise will raise their heads apprehensively (because they fear they may be taken from their pleasant abode). Then it will be said 'O people of the Fire!', whereupon its inhabitants will raise their heads in hope of intercession.
After this the people of Paradise and the inhabitants of the Fire will be addressed thus, 'Do you know what this is?' They will all reply, 'We know it; it is death, which was assigned to us.' Thereupon death (in the form of the ram) will be placed on its side and slaughtered on the wall.
Finally, it will be said, 'O people of Paradise, [there is] only eternity and no more death. O people of the Fire, only eternity and no more death.'"
(Hadith)

truthseeker63
07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Thank you for to you all for replying.

Eric H
07-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Greetings and peace be with you muslimah bird;

God cant change forms and cant be mortal and immortal at the same time . Can you prove this wrong ?
Sadly I can't even prove that God exists, I just believe he exists, and some years ago we had a thread here; that ran to over a thousand posts, trying to prove God's existance, it just kept going round in circles.

In the spirit of praying to 'One God'

Eric.

muslimah bird
07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you muslimah bird;

Sadly I can't even prove that God exists, I just believe he exists, and some years ago we had a thread here; that ran to over a thousand posts, trying to prove God's existance, it just kept going round in circles.

In the spirit of praying to 'One God'

Eric.
. How can it be possible that the universe could come into existence without some intelligent being who planned, creates, protects and sustains life of all he created on earth ?

Santoku
09-08-2012, 01:25 PM
I believe the old imagery used by th Chrstian theologians was that of the clover leaf, three distinct lobes make one leaf. Personally I would have compared the trinity to the facets of a diamond but there I suppose that is because now we all know about the facets of cut gemstonesand in the middle ages few gemstones were cut.

muslimah bird
09-09-2012, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Santoku
I believe the old imagery used by th Chrstian theologians was that of the clover leaf, three distinct lobes make one leaf. Personally I would have compared the trinity to the facets of a diamond but there I suppose that is because now we all know about the facets of cut gemstonesand in the middle ages few gemstones were cut.
It is mentioned in the bible that God is one , never changes and that God isnt a man , so trinity is inconsistent with the bible

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!