/* */

PDA

View Full Version : After my conversion

Sumaiya54
03-16-2012, 08:48 PM
:sl:I am a 13 year old girl and am going to convert to Islam next week. Many people told me that I should not tell my parents but I did tell my father, and I felt that he did not take me seriously. I was raised in a household where my father was Jewish and my mother was Catholic, but we didn't go to Church or Temple that often. The thing is, I dont want to hide from people my conversion but am worried that I am going to loose all of my friends and my parents wont react well to my actual conversion. I have one close Muslim friend and her family who Insha'Allah will always be there for me but I am afraid my parents will think that they forced me to convert (which they didn't!). I live in the USA, where many people judge Muslims. I know in my heart that soon I will wear hijab and I want to when I convert now but my parents would not let me. I pray to Allah SWT that he will guide me through this time. Do you have any suggestions for telling my parents, having a dog in the house, and coping with friends who might not understand my reasons for conversion? Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Galaxy
03-16-2012, 09:21 PM
:wa:
When you convert it will be the best decision you will make, yes you will lose some 'friends' in the process and your parents will think you were brainwashed but that doesn't matter. I was once in a similar situation like yours when I began to take Islam seriously and donned the hijab but I was accused of being brainwashed by family members but eventually they began to see I was serious. Insha Allah your parents won't react harshly, maybe they'll only try to talk you out of it or take you to the Church or the Temple but you are very lucky to have a close Muslim friend that can support you and also we can help.:statisfie I guess you can stay away from the dog, and not touch it when it's wet.

Aprender
03-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Hello sister,

I too am a fairly recent revert to Islam and the only Muslim in the family. What the sister above gave you advise on is right. You will lose some friends but you will also gain other amazing friends. in shaa Allah. As for the dog, my family also has one that lives in the house but as I am still living with my parents, I can't demand that they throw out the family pet as they don't understand the Islamic reasoning behind not allowing dogs in the home.

If you have your own room, don't allow the dog into your room as that is where you pray. And if the dog does come in there, clean up/vacuum the area where the dog was, and clean out any of your sheets if the dog was ever sleeping on your bed. If you pet the dog or come in contact with it in any way, make sure you wash your hands and clean yourself regularly as I know it can be tough to avoid a dog in the house completely. My family's dog is very protective of me and tends to follow me wherever I go.

May Allah ease everything for you. Ameeen

Haya emaan
03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
walaikum assalam..

SubhanAllah, you are so young and blessed tofind the truth.. indeed its from Allah to whom he wills to show the right path..
though i cannot be of any help in your situation but i can pray for you dear.. may Allah soften your parents heart for you, strengthens your imaan and makes the path of Islam easy for you.

friends who leaves you because of your choices don't deserve to be your friends..
and don't forget you are leaving your friends, your previous life style, your choices for Allah (SWT) He will reward you with better things..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
03-17-2012, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sumaiya54
I am a 13 year old girl and am going to convert to Islam next week.
Allahu Akbar, God is Great. You write with the maturity and insight of one twice your age. I strongly agree with what Sister Aprender wrote in that she struck the middle chord without going to either extreme. Allah (glorified and exalted is He) does not want us to overburden ourselves with what we cause us to abandon the Straight Way. I too am the only Muslim in my family except for my wife and she is the only one in hers. May Allah make your conversion to Islam easy on you and preserve the amazing faith that you have. Can you share what led you to Islam?

Periwinkle18
03-17-2012, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sumaiya54
:sl:I am a 13 year old girl and am going to convert to Islam next week. Many people told me that I should not tell my parents but I did tell my father, and I felt that he did not take me seriously. I was raised in a household where my father was Jewish and my mother was Catholic, but we didn't go to Church or Temple that often. The thing is, I dont want to hide from people my conversion but am worried that I am going to loose all of my friends and my parents wont react well to my actual conversion. I have one close Muslim friend and her family who Insha'Allah will always be there for me but I am afraid my parents will think that they forced me to convert (which they didn't!). I live in the USA, where many people judge Muslims. I know in my heart that soon I will wear hijab and I want to when I convert now but my parents would not let me. I pray to Allah SWT that he will guide me through this time. Do you have any suggestions for telling my parents, having a dog in the house, and coping with friends who might not understand my reasons for conversion? Salaam
aww sis thts gr8 news :) MashaAllah :) im so happy for u n glad tht u've decided to revert to islam. inshaAllah don't worry sis Allah will help you just pray to HIM everything will be Ok :) i would suggest you show them by doing good make them happy do something you've never done before, ur deeds should show them how beautiful islam is. And don't worry if your friends leave you if they leave u then it means tht they werent ur true friends. Dw sis im hea i'll be ur friend :)

May Allah bless u and guide u and make things easy for you Ameen

Periwinkle18
03-17-2012, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Can you share what led you to Islam?
yes would love to know how u planned to revert :)

Sumaiya54
03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Thank you for all of your wonderful messages :) There are many, many things that led me to convert to Islam here are a few of them:

1. I felt it was such a pure religion, it answered all of my questions without making more come up like Christianity.
2. The many scientific miracles of the Quran, I couldn't ignore that it was from Allah SWT.
3. I loved the concept of family, the close bond with respect, unlike my family.
4. I never was attracted to clubs, drinking, dating, drugs and wanted to live a life without them, Islam fit this description perfectly.
5. I saw so many respected women in hijab, and I wanted to be just like them. They wear hijab to be modest, but also are kind, and still shared their opinions.
6. All of the other concepts, like the Last Day, Angels, Scriptures, and other things made sense to me.
7. I wanted to give back to Allah and that was for me praying, something that I didn't know how to do in other religions.

Salaam

Scimitar
03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I am amazed. No words. Just happy.

Scimi

marwen
03-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Welcome aboard sister Sumaiya :)
looking forward for news about your conversion. May Allah protect you and guide you.

Hulk
03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Welcome to Islam dear friend :) I hope you go for more classes to gain more knowledge about Islam. Indeed in Islam the more knowledge you obtain the firmer your belief will be. NEVER try to debate with anyone, try your best to keep your heart in a state of awareness and humility. Never let ego get the better of you. Be careful in forums because there are always trolls who are out to start trouble, never feed them. You have a tough phase of growing up ahead of you (we all do), as I said before try to gain more knowledge by going to more classes but at the same time do not overdo it. :)

Scimitar
03-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Oh I've been here already :)

Still, I enjoyed reading the story of your conversion again :)

Scimi

Sumaiya54
03-18-2012, 09:37 PM
To read my story there is a Sticky Post at the top of New Muslims, where my story is on the last page :) Hope that helps.

BadOlPuttyTat
05-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Well girl all i would say is i wouldnt tell my parents (all i have is my mother). My mother is sadly a narcissist who lies in whatever small manner to get her way. If you do something she doesnt agree with such as admit you like sliced turkey meat she will get physically violent, no joke it happened last weekend. You must say you agree with and like the things she likes and wants you to like. She is a self proclaimed Christian and doesnt set the bar very high that she has alienated herself from the rest of the family. I do plan on converting to Islam but i am surely not going to tell her :nervous:. When i star wearing a thobe and an agal i will tell her i am the ghost of Christmas past and thats all she needs to know. I desire to keep peace in the family and not let my own mother destroy it as she has made the family distance themselves from her, immediate and extended. Good luck sister with your parents knowing you have converted but i think you should be proud letting them know because i know i wouldn't.

Happy livin' dear Muslimah :statisfie

Sumaiya54
05-11-2012, 09:43 PM
JazakAllah! I would never tell her that you "converted", because it seems like a scary ritual or something. Just start with, "Im interested in Islam," and then it goes to talking about Islam more during conversations, then there is "Im going to stop eating pork," then it is "im going to start going to Masjid."
THis is what I find works out the best.

Salaam!

RealityIsCandy
05-17-2017, 04:48 PM
More and more Muslims are growing here in the USA. Racism will eventually end due to Allah the All Knowing.

Cptn._.Mario
05-20-2017, 05:27 AM
Masha Allah, you're only 13. May Allah swt protect you from all evil and grant you the best in this Dunya and the Akhiraah. Ameen

s.ali123
05-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Mashaa Allah sister! Welcome to Islam :) Salam Alailkum!

cinnamonrolls1
05-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Welcome sis! However, not to doubt you, but your still young, are you 100% sure this is what u want?

Umm Abed
05-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Old thread.

I wonder how is the sister faring.

I hope she is doing really well, insha'allah.

cinnamonrolls1
05-31-2017, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Abed
Old thread.

I wonder how is the sister faring.

I hope she is doing really well, insha'allah.
same tbh

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!