/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Shahada

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Being raised in the US, I thought I had to be christian. I researched the beliefs of different churches for years. None of them shared the beliefs I had in me from a very young age. I had come to think there was something wrong with my way of thinking. A year ago I met a Muslim. Being the curious person I am, I went online and read what Islam was about. As I read I found beliefs that had been in my heart since I was a child. I couldnt stop reading. My belief in Islam is not something that just happened recently. I shared belief in One God and modesty from a very young age. I was raised in a small white community. Islam was not something I was familiar with. It was a religion of people in other countries.

Now I struggle. Not with my faith, that is strong. I struggle to find my place in the Ummah. Sisters ask where I am from. I tell them I was born here in the US. They smile and say Alhamdulillah then walk away. I learn the best I can by studying books and online. I have no one to speak to. I tend to be a little shy when around people, so that is part of the problem. It is difficult to be alone all the time. Is there a place for white Sisters in the Muslim community?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
:sl:
Sister,

I am going to send you a PM with my personal e-mail and we can talk from there in shaa Allah.

Ramadan90
03-17-2012, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nfnmcmd
Being raised in the US, I thought I had to be christian. I researched the beliefs of different churches for years. None of them shared the beliefs I had in me from a very young age. I had come to think there was something wrong with my way of thinking. A year ago I met a Muslim. Being the curious person I am, I went online and read what Islam was about. As I read I found beliefs that had been in my heart since I was a child. I couldnt stop reading. My belief in Islam is not something that just happened recently. I shared belief in One God and modesty from a very young age. I was raised in a small white community. Islam was not something I was familiar with. It was a religion of people in other countries.

Now I struggle. Not with my faith, that is strong. I struggle to find my place in the Ummah. Sisters ask where I am from. I tell them I was born here in the US. They smile and say Alhamdulillah then walk away. I learn the best I can by studying books and online. I have no one to speak to. I tend to be a little shy when around people, so that is part of the problem. It is difficult to be alone all the time. Is there a place for white Sisters in the Muslim community?

Color does not matter, sister. We are all brother and sisters in Islam regardless of color/race. I would encourage you to find more information in your local mosque. Maybe the sisters have gatherings and you can get to learn some sisters.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :)

Good luck

aadil77
03-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Is there a place for white Sisters in the Muslim community?
Salam sis, if you lived in eastern europe or around russia you would only find white muslim sisters. It's a common misconception that muslims are only asian and arab.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Asalaamualaikum. I have not lived out of the US. I know there are white Sisters in other countries. I am only addressing my situation

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Asalaamualaikum. Thank you for the welcome. I have gone to different gatherings. I will continue to go. Insha'Allah.

truthseeker63
03-17-2012, 07:21 PM
I am a Young White Male/Man/Guy and I was allowed to take the Shahada in the Masjid. To be honest don't tell me Im a racist but I tend to prefer White Women when it comes to sexual attraction so maybe Im a racist then ? Welcome to Islam Sister and I have met and seen Blue Eyed White Muslim Women. I know most White People are Christians and some White People are Jewish but there are White Muslims. I don't agree with White Americans who think Islam is only for dark skinned people. To be honest I don't know everyhing about my ancestry but I am of Northern European ancestry not that it makes me superior. I am not a Nationalist.

Welcome to Between 2 Worlds: Anglo-Caucasian Muslims Islam is the birthright of every human being, regardless of race, ethnicity, or national origin. This site is dedicated to the seldom recognized communities of Anglo-Saxon or Caucasian Muslims all over the world, from Bosnia, Albania, Kosova, Bulgaria, Western Turkey, Russia, the Caucasus, and to the converts, whether 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation of North America and Western Europe.
These communities are unique and face certain challenges and issues apart from their African, Middle Eastern, and Asian brethren. They are, among other things, a part of greater Europe, and on the other, a part of dar al-Islam, two worlds which historically have often been at odds with one another. Often abandoned by their fellow Muslims in other parts of the world, and subject to violent persecution at the hands of their non-Muslim countrymen at home (i.e.Bosnia, Kosova, Bulgaria, Chechnya), they endure a great deal of hardship for the sake of their faith. In addition, Anglo or Caucasian Muslims in North America and Western Europe often encounter confusion and ridicule from their non-Muslim neighbors because of their 'race', largely due to the notorious activities and sensationalism of Louis Farrakhan's so-called "Nation of Islam" (a pseudo-Islamic black supremicist organization originally founded by WD Fard and Elijah Poole in early 20th century America). Other Muslim converts may be attacked and called "traitors" or some other such names due to the current geo-political climate. It is my hope that the information available on this site will help to promote the true nature of Islam, to promote tolerance,and to encourage others to recognize and remember their Muslim brothers and sisters of all colors and backgrounds. One God - One Humanity.

http://www.geocities.ws/jrhalver/

Periwinkle18
03-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Assalam o alikum

:welcome: to the forum :)

sure there is place for white sisters in the muslim community we're all one ummah it doesnt matter if ur white,black or tan we're all muslims we're like one big family :)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-17-2012, 07:31 PM
As'Salaamu Alaaykum - Peace be unto you!

Firstly. congratulations! and welcome to Islaam and to the forum!

Hope you enjoy your stay here and find the forum benecial towards yourself inshaa'Allaah..

Great to have another sister on board!

Hmm....unfortunately..I do not know of any area as I'm not located in the US, but inshaa'Allaah some sisters here can help..

However, the muslim ummah is made up muslims of all race, regardless of race, ethnicity, etc etc. You may meet sisters who are off a different race and are really welcoming.. You've got loads of sisters on here also who are from different race, background etc..

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Asalaamualaikum Brother. Thank you for the welcome. Please feel free to send me any links that will teach and inform me. You can find me on facebook.

My mothers family is from Sweden and France. My father is native american. I look white. I was raised with alot of hate between these familys. I dont know how I survived, but I am the only person in my family that never seen color. I am faced with a new challenge now being Muslim. Non-Muslims see me as a traitor or I must have converted because I married into it. Neither is true.

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Walaikumsalaam. Thank you for the welcome. I am sure I will find Sisters eventually. I took my Shahada in a different state. So only being Muslima for 5 months and relocating to a new state has been difficult. Thank you for the support!

Aprender
03-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Walaikumsalaam. Thank you for the welcome. I am sure I will find Sisters eventually. I took my Shahada in a different state. So only being Muslima for 5 months and relocating to a new state has been difficult. Thank you for the support!
Oh. That was my next question. I was going to ask how long you've been Muslim. MashaAllah you are very new :-)

May Allah ease everything for you. Ameeen.

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 07:52 PM
I have been Muslima for 5 months

Scimitar
03-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Asalaamualaikum Brother. Thank you for the welcome. Please feel free to send me any links that will teach and inform me. You can find me on facebook.

My mothers family is from Sweden and France. My father is native american. I look white. I was raised with alot of hate between these familys. I dont know how I survived, but I am the only person in my family that never seen color. I am faced with a new challenge now being Muslim. Non-Muslims see me as a traitor or I must have converted because I married into it. Neither is true.
here's a great site where you can download PDS books for free sister: www.kalamullah.com

Masha-Allah, New Muslim, everytime I hear this - I get excited. Allahu Akbar indeed.

Scimi

Periwinkle18
03-17-2012, 07:56 PM
I have been Muslima for 5 months
mashaAllah :)

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 08:02 PM
:happy:

Aprender
03-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Sister, please send me an e-mail. I provided you with my personal e-mail in a private message here on the forum.

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Thank you for the link! At the end of my days I read til I fall asleep. I am so hungry for knowledge, there isnt enought time! The more I read, the more I want. At first I questioned why Islam didnt come to me years ago, but now I understand and accept what has been given. Alhamdulillah. Allah bless you Brother

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
here's a great site where you can download PDS books for free sister: Masha-Allah, New Muslim, everytime I hear this - I get excited. Allahu Akbar indeed.

Scimi

Scimitar
03-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Jazak-Allah and thank you sister for the kind dua.

I am pleased you find the link useful. They have books, videos, the works... it's quite possibly the one resource site on the web that I frequent for research on matters of jurispudence and other interesting information.

I think I've downloaded all their books now. And next, I'm gonna start on the videos ;D

And yeah, reading before bed is what I do too... I think many of us do actually :)

May Allah bless you and keep you firm on the deen on Prophet Muhammad pbuh, may HE shower you with HIS blessings eternally, both in this world and the next ukhti. Ameen.

Bro Scimi

Jedi_Mindset
03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar- A new sister and she is hungry for islamic knowledge. Man, i love that attitude :D

I didn't spoke out my shahadah yet but as you can see i behave already as a muslim, much people see me already as one even though i can't do much here at home but sabr(patience) is the key and Insha'Allah i'm going to take my shahadah soon.

YusufNoor
03-17-2012, 09:47 PM

don't worry about the sisters too much, they may be jealous. you'll find more than a few non-American "brothers" eager for a Caucasian bride. of course, most of them already have 1 wife. ;D

have patience.

since you are new, you'll gain a lot of knowledge from this set of lectures on Al Fatihah:

Muslims have been commanded by Allah to recite Soorah Al-Fatihah a minimum of seventeen times a day. This fact, in itself, should alert the Muslim to the extreme importance of this concise but deep soorah. Indeed, the Prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) referred to it as Umm al-Qur’an or “the foundation of the Quran itself.” Its teachings aptly touch upon and summarize the entire spectrum of Islamic teachings. As a Muslim grows in his understanding of Soorah al-fatihah, the quality of his daily prayers can be greatly affected and improved. When the quality of his daily prayers are improved, in reality, his entire being can be transformed into a true and blessed servant of Allah, one who fulfills the pact he is making with Allah when he says, “You alone do we worship.”
http://www.kalamullah.com/al-fatihah.html

the life of Muhammad, pbuh, is of particular value as it contains the history of the Qur'an as well. this brother here, Dr Bashar Shala has an amazing speaking style; his lectures are interesting and beneficial:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...wi%20%28saw%29

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...t%20%28pbuh%29

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...s%20of%20Quran

Mufti Ismail Menk is one of my favorite lecturers:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...E&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...l0l91l91l1l1l0

http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html

Dr Bilal Philips is a most learned scholar:

http://www.kalamullah.com/bilal-philips.html

this is a 21 part series of lectures by the good Doctor called The Foundation of Islamic Studies, it's a great starting point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG7rNevw3fE

hope you find this useful,

:wa:

Sam

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Asalaamualaikum. Thank you for the supportive words Brother. I am familiar with many who have more than one wife, not a problem. I appreciate the links.

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Asalaamualaikum. Why do you delay Shahada? You dont know what will happen in the next day, hour or minute! If you delay because there is just one more thing you want to do before it is not allowed, you make a mistake. Please follow what you know is right

MustafaMc
03-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Allahu akbar, welcome to Islam. I too am a Caucasian American Muslim and had difficulty adjusting to being a Muslim, but I have been cosistently practicing Islam since June 2001. I had volunteered the message below for the British Museum Hajj Exhibit http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_o...j_stories.aspx BTW I lived in Chandler, AZ from 1993 to 1996.

My most memorable moment of Hajj 2010 was on the 12th of Dhul-Hijjah at the time of Asr prayer when a rare thunderstorm came in the Saudi desert. I was praying in Masjid al-Haram at the time and I distinctly remember thinking this rain was symbolic that Hajj is a means of cleansing one's sins. What I enjoyed most was being able to offer prayer with Muslims from all over the world within sight of the Ka’ba. When I first became a Muslim I had psychological difficulty in being the only Caucasian Muslim in the mosque, but during Hajj I felt completely welcome and at peace with my fellow Hajjis. I felt like I was one of the colors of the rainbow and that I was exactly where I belonged.

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Thank you for your message Brother. I browse some of the conversations on here, there is much dislike for white Muslims. This does not affect my faith. They are not correct. If anything, it makes me stronger. But, it can be lonely out here, so I do appreciate hearing from others like you.

It is a shame that people judge a whole race by the way they see non-believers act. We are Muslim. We believe in the same thing. I see people who are raised in Muslim countries who act badly, but I do not judge all the same as that person. People are good and bad. This has nothing to do with the color of their skin or where they were born.

Islam is my home, my life. I may be new but this is where my life has been leading me for years.

I pray to do Hajj one day. Your experience was truly wonderful. Alhamduilillah.

MustafaMc
03-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Assalamu alaikum, Sister. I can empathize with some of what you must be feeling. I became a Muslim in 1982 and then stopped practicing in 1985 due to the conflict with family and coworkers, association in the media between Islam and terrorism, and not being able to find a Muslim wife. I married a Christian and stpped practicing Islam. I then decided to practice Islam again in 2001 after I turned 40. I knew that I must die one day, stand before Allah and give an account for my life realizing that I couldn't use the excuse that someone blew up himself and innocent people in the name of Islam as the reason why I did not worship Him in the manner He has prescribed. Insha'Allah, you will not wander as I had done for so many years.

nfnmcmd
03-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Did you stop practicing because of her? Are you still married? Sorry if this is to personal, I am just curious as to how men can be married to someone who doesnt live as Muslima

MustafaMc
03-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Did you stop practicing because of her? Are you still married? Sorry if this is to personal, I am just curious as to how men can be married to someone who doesnt live as Muslima
No, I had stopped practicing before I met her. I had several false starts of trying to practice Islam after we got married, but she never said a negative word to discourage me. She became a Muslim in 2003 and, yes, we are still married after 26 years.

Perseveranze
03-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Mashallah to hear you found Islam. May Allah keep you strong and steadfast on deen.

As for knowledge, instead of using Google, I would recommend using this search for Islamic content - http://searching-islam.com

truthseeker63
03-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Good post.

Sumaiya54
03-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Asalaamu Aleikum sister,

I am a also a revert and white, and I am very shy too. I find that I relate to a lot of sisters who are my age, and you might too. Allah<3 said "Color does not matter, sister. We are all brother and sisters in Islam regardless of color/race." (I dont know how to do the quote) which I agree with. Even if this time is a bit lonely, Insha'Allah you will make new friends from your Mosque and keep in touch with any friends from where you lived previously!

Salaam :)

nfnmcmd
03-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Alhamduilillah

CosmicPathos
03-20-2012, 01:12 AM
w salam

I feel sad that you are feeling lonely because of your skin color while in the Muslim community.

I have noticed that it depends on where the non-White Muslims grow up. If they grew up back home in relatively conservative households, they see the crimes done by Israel and US and all other kaafir nations, and they see all of them are white, and they wrongly start to associate the color with the crime, or the hedonism we see on MTV or such crap. It just becomes subconscious, the racism that is. "you will marry a white woman? Astagfirullah ... how can you think of marrying loose women, dont you see their culture" were the words of my friend's mom, a friend who confided in me, a friend who had given dawah to this white sister (its a separate discussion if this act was halal or haram). Sad but true. I think the majority can have deep impact on psyche of humans, and it is hard to get rid of it. On the other hand, I know of a practicing Muslim pakistani man, he flew in to LA, met a white convert wife, married her, brought her back to Canada and now they are living their life trying to please Allah.

I hope and pray that you find Muslims who can see you beyond your skin color (something over which you had no choice). There are many good members on these forums willing to help you if you are in their locality or something. Just ask us. :)

salam

nfnmcmd
03-20-2012, 01:16 AM
I will not abandon the faith I have searched for my entire life. I found where my beliefs belong. But, I have to face the fact that in the Muslim community there is not much to offer for me. I have almost no chance of marrying and I dont fit in with the single women who modernize Islam. The hardest thing to deal with is knowing I may always live alone.

CosmicPathos
03-20-2012, 01:27 AM
I think that is hoplessness speaking. As hard as it may sound, a believer is never hopeless. I kinda feel like a hypocrite saying that because many a times I've lost hope and still continue to do so in the adversities that life throws at me but I do believe that this is one principle I have to aspire to if I am to find some peace of mind. Never be hopeless. You were able to find the faith that you were always looking for, what makes you think you cannot do other things that you aspire to such as marriage etc? Your job is to work hard and rely on Allah, Allah swt will open doors from which you had never imagined.

nfnmcmd
03-20-2012, 01:41 AM
You are right. Im not completely in control of my emotions right now. I am homeless. I lost everything 2 years ago. Everything that I thought was important. In the streets, I found Islam. I have to admit, I have more now. But, being not a young woman, is why I say my chances of marriage are not there. I am used to having many friends, now I have none. So coupled with the fact that I never know where I will be sleeping next week, I have my weak moments. I understand that I must be patient, and for the most part I am. If I didnt have my faith, I would still be lost. I thank Allah everyday for giving me life. Alhamdulillah

CosmicPathos
03-20-2012, 01:47 AM
please approach the main masjid in your area and ask the imam there if they can provide you any assisstance fe sabeelillah in terms of your acute problems.

nfnmcmd
03-20-2012, 01:49 AM
I have a hard time asking for help. I have always taken care of myself. But I am going to have to do what you say soon, my money is almost gone.

MustafaMc
03-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Sister, your situation sounds really precarious. I am sure that I would be very discouraged to be in your circumstances. It would be much better for you to have patience and hold on to your faith than to do as I did so many years ago.

I agree with the suggestion to approach the imam of the local masjid. Perhaps, you could also contact Islamic Relief USA.

Abz2000
03-20-2012, 02:26 AM
salamz sis, may Allah keep you guided and strengthened further on this blessed journey of life, it really is uplifting to see the people, small though the number may be, trickling in.
may Allah bring guidance to the hearts of humanity and keep us firm on the path of thruth.

I have almost no chance of marrying
truthseeker just told u he was interested in a white muslimah :p
y not look into it further,

salamz,
your brother Abz

nfnmcmd
03-20-2012, 02:28 AM
:embarrass

Aprender
03-20-2012, 03:40 AM
Sister,

I live in the same locality as you do. I provided you with my e-mail in a PM but I didn't get any response from you. If you're looking to make new friends in the local Muslim community out here, please, contact me.

I know people who might be able to help you with your situation.

nfnmcmd
03-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Asalaamualaikum. Actually, I did email you. I didnt get response so I assumed you were busy. The email must not have reached you for some reason. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!