/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What are these Muslims doing?

Samiun
03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
:sl: Can someone explain to me what these Muslims are doing? This was shot by me, and someone commented on it claiming it to be 'bayah'

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Wa alaykum salam,

Yeah, it looks like bay'ah.

They are pledging an oath of allegiance to a shaykh of one of the paths of tasawuf.

Samiun
03-22-2012, 09:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Wa alaykum salam,

Yeah, it looks like bay'ah.

They are pledging an oath of allegiance to a shaykh of one of the paths of tasawuf.
I was all confused when they did this, it was my first time seeing it. So are we as Muslims suppose to pledge an oath of allegiance to an Imam/scholar/shaykh at a mosque nearby?

ardianto
03-22-2012, 09:27 AM
:sl:

In Malay language we call bayah as "bai'at". (eng=oath of allegiance)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
03-22-2012, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
So are Muslims suppose to pledge an oath of allegiance to an Imam/scholar/shaykh at a mosque nearby?
No.

But if those people pledge and oath of allegiance to that shaykh, that's because that shaykh is their group leader. They are from a Sufi group.

Alpha Dude
03-22-2012, 10:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
I was all confused when they did this, it was my first time seeing it. So are we as Muslims suppose to pledge an oath of allegiance to an Imam/scholar/shaykh at a mosque nearby?
Tasawuf just means to cleanse oneself from all evil habits and inclinations of the heart (lust, envy, pride etc) and fill it with good qualities (selflessness, humility etc) whilst gaining an appreciation of the existence of Allah (ihsan). This is obligatory upon all Muslims. In a hadith, it is said that there is one organ which if it is sound, the whole body is sound. The organ in question is the heart.

Purification of the heart can be done by the self or we can go to a shaykh who has knowledge of this matter and can provide guidance on how to best achieve the goal. In which case, if Allah wills, we may gain progress in the endevour quicker and more strongly than if we were to struggle along by ourselves, hence why there are people out there who emphasise going to a shaykh and asking for his guidance on these spiritual matters.

A proper shaykh will have sat at the feet of a teacher who would have sat at the feet of his teacher to gain benefit from with a chain that carries on like this until the Prophet salallahualaihewassalam.

There's a lot of assumptions made that sufism is full of shirk, bidah, grave worshipping etc which are not true.

Yes, there are some groups out there who do indulge in these kinds of evil practises but at the same time, there are pious sufi mashaaikh who follow the quran and sunnah to the letter and stay clear of these things.

Our Prophet Muhammad sallalahualaihewassalam came with three strands of knowledge: that related to the external- rules/regulations (fiqh), that related to the internal/spiritual side of things (tasawuf) and that related to creedal matters (aqeeda).

All three facets of deen are important and all have their origin in the life and teachings and message of Prophet sallalahualaihewassalam, whilst they may not have been properly formalised during the time in which he lived (i.e. they were all there, as realities without a name).

As we know from the hadith, scholars are the inheritors of Prophethood. It is not just the external knowledge/fiqh that they can learn and inherit but rather those qualities related to character and closeness to Allah. Both the baatin and dhaahir qualities need to be present in order to be considered a proper inheritor. A shaykh who has knowledge of the external and the internal aspects is a rare commodity and one should hasten to gain from him.

That's my understanding, may Allah forgive me for anything I have said wrong.

Ghazalah
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Purification of the heart can be done by the self or we can go to a shaykh who has knowledge of this matter and can provide guidance on how to best achieve the goal.
Providing guidance seems okay, why would you need to pledge allegiance to them? After all, purification of the heart, is (for the most part) something done personally, something between you and Allah, the Shaykh can only give guidelines on what you choose to portray.

ardianto
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Providing guidance seems okay, why would you need to pledge allegiance to them?
From what I've noticed, bro Alpha Dude did not say we/he need to pledge allegiance to a shaykh.

Ramadan90
03-22-2012, 02:55 PM
The question is if the prophet(SAW) and his people did this "ritual"? Purification of the heart is done by worshipping Allah and remembring him(Salah, fast, reading quran, dikr). This way you cleanse the heart.

Alpha Dude
03-22-2012, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Providing guidance seems okay, why would you need to pledge allegiance to them? After all, purification of the heart, is (for the most part) something done personally, something between you and Allah, the Shaykh can only give guidelines on what you choose to portray.
Pledging an allegiance means that you are agreeing to obey someone. When you see someone of superior understanding in any matter to you, what you usually do, is defer to their judgement and trust in them because you are aware that although they are not perfect, they have more understanding than you. It is the same case here. When you pledge allegiance, you are agreeing to defer to their judgement and agreeing to accept their advice without hesitation and with due humility.

You do bay'ah with the intention of pleasing Allah, with the intention of fulfilling a sunnah (please listen to the first 15-20 or so minutes of this clip, it mentions something on this - it is in English but slightly accented), with the intention of reforming your character and repenting from all previous sins.

You'd be signing a figurative contract to say that the shaykh has authority over your spiritual reformation and that you will be loyal and do what he asks of you. You are placing your trust in him. In his ability to guide and correct the condition of your heart.

For a shaykh to take on students is a huge responsibility and if he's going to lay his akhira on the line (lest he misguides someone) the least a seeker can do is provide a promise that he will follow the advice given to the letter and not deviate from instruction.

In order for him to help, you have to let him know of the problems you experience and then he will be able to provide advice and prescribe something accordingly. You have to follow them obediently.

Signing up for such a thing should be with matters pertaining to the reformation of the self and not about being the personal slave of someone - if anyone does treat his students as slaves for his wordly needs then he is not worthy of being followed in the first place.

This kind of oath is similar to what we find when we look at the anecdote regarding Musa Alaihe Salam, when he gave an oath of obedience to Khidr AS that he will follow without questioning.

Another thing is, it's fine when you go from shaykh to shaykh to obtain general advice, but when you are given something specific to recite by one shaykh based on his assessment of you, there is a chance of conflict arising if you then in addition ask another shaykh for further stuff to do/recite. Hence, it is required that you stay with only one shaykh for spiritual reformation.

The question is if the prophet(SAW) and his people did this "ritual"? Purification of the heart is done by worshipping Allah and remembring him(Salah, fast, reading quran, dikr). This way you cleanse the heart.
Giving bayah is giving an oath. i.e. you are promising something. There's nothing ritualistic about it.

In different cultures there are different ways of giving oath. Some will take a person's hand into their hand and pledge it like that and others may simply give it by voice.

In fact, you can give bayah over the phone, it doesn't even have to be in person like in the video.

Purification of the heart is done by worshipping Allah and remembring him(Salah, fast, reading quran, dikr). This way you cleanse the heart.
Indeed and this is in fact what a proper sufi shaykh would get you to do albeit the dosages and method would be a more specific subset of the above things, tailored to the seeker's needs.

Muhammad
03-22-2012, 11:41 PM
:sl: brother Alpha Dude,

It is nice to see you again on the forum. :)

You mentioned that Bay'ah is done with the intention to please Allaah (swt) and fulfil a Sunnah, amongst other things. I confess I did not listen to the clip because a download was involved etc. But whilst trying to find more information on this, I came across a small discussion on almaghrib forums which gave a different picture. The link is:
http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthread.php?t=51716

Shaykh Yasir Qadhi says:
[...] There is no evidence that such a bay'ah should be given to anyone else. No famous scholars of fiqh, hadeeth, tafseer, etc of the first three generations (or even afterwards) would require their students to take bay'ah before studying with them. Rather, certain groups introduced this practice as an 'initiation ceremony' for a devotee to join their ranks and eventually climb up in their hiearchies.

Since there is no evidence to support such a bay'ah, and this bay'ah has religious connotations, it must be labeled an innovation.

And Allah knows best.
His other post about Sufis is also interesting to note:

To summarize, there are in the present day and age no organized Sufi tariqahs that are error-free. The least problem that one finds in all of them, without exception, are innovations in their acts of worship. Such Sufis, whilst mistaken in these innovations, are in a completely different category than those who ascribe to their 'awliya' powers of rububiyyah or even attributes of Allah (such as knowing everything, hearing the calls of their murids, etc.). And these Sufis are (slightly) better than those who actually ask their 'saints' for supernatural help, shafa'ah, Jannah, etc.

As I've said at least a dozen times, the problem with talking about the Sufis is that they are such a broad spectrum of groups, with beliefs ranging from very slight bid'ah to all-out shirk. The most famous 'moderate' Sufi speakers or Sufi-sympathetic Institutes in this country are not (from what I have seen) advocating any type of shirk, and alhamdulillah for that. However, minor deviations lead to major ones, and major deviations lead to shirk. Each sin and vice is dealt with according to the severity it deserves, in light of the place/context we are living in. Hence, these 'moderate' Sufis should be corrected gently, there errors pointed out to the masses, but for the most part there should also be a general feeling of Muslim brotherhood for them as well - they are sincerely seeking to come closer to Allah, even if it be through innovated means. So our anger at their mistakes should not overcome our love at their iman and ikhlas - each in its place. This is a common problem that most Muslims do not realize - you can love a Muslim for the good in him and hate the evil present in him at the same time. A misunderstanding of this principle leads to extremism on both sides - on the one side a lack of criticism and naseeha, and on the other a lack of mercy and compassion. Ahl al-sunnah understand this principle correctly, and therefore give each person what is due to him, of both love and hate.
I found a few other concepts in your post troublesome. You mentioned that pledging allegiance involves 'agreeing to defer to their judgement and agreeing to accept their advice without hesitation and with due humility'. And that 'you'd be signing a figurative contract to say that the shaykh has authority over your spiritual reformation and that you will be loyal and do what he asks of you. You are placing your trust in him. In his ability to guide and correct the condition of your heart'. It is my understanding that such close devotion and trust to the words of another human can only be reserved for our Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam), as only he is infallible with regards to the message of Islam. All other scholars and teachers after him are not free of error, so how can we make such a pledge to follow every word of theirs without question, whether in matters of self reformation or others?

With specific regards to placing one's trust in another's ability to guide and correct the condition of one's heart, I found the following verses from the Qur'an pertinent:

...And whoever believes in Allah – He will guide his heart. And Allah is Knowing of all things. And obey Allah and obey the Messenger; but if you turn away – then upon Our Messenger is only [the duty of] clear notification. Allah – there is no deity except Him. And upon Allah let the believers rely. [Surah Taghabun: 11-13]

And Allaah (swt) knows best and may He forgive us for our errors.

Hulk
03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
If I am not mistaken the first generation of muslims had bayah as well though it may have been in a different context.

Muhammad
03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
^ That's true. Apologies, perhaps I should have quoted the full post which mentions this:

Salaam Alaikum

It was the practice of the Prophet salla Allahu alayhi wa salam to take bay'ah from those who had accepted Islam, or, occasionaly, before a battle (such as during the Treaty of Hudaybiyyah, for they expected a battle to ensue). Additionaly he commanded Muslims to give bay'ah to the khalifah, and to then fulfill and honor this bay'ah. It was always the practice of the Muslims throughout our history that they would give bay'ah to the ruler (usually the leader or representative of each tribe would give bay'ah on behalf of the others).

There is no evidence that such a bay'ah should be given to anyone else. No famous scholars of fiqh, hadeeth, tafseer, etc of the first three generations (or even
afterwards) would require their students to take bay'ah before studying with them. Rather, certain groups introduced this practice as an 'initiation ceremony' for a devotee to join their ranks and eventually climb up in their hiearchies.

Since there is no evidence to support such a bay'ah, and this bay'ah has religious connotations, it must be labeled an innovation.

And Allah knows best.

Yasir
And a couple of posts down:

Salaam Aliakum

The Prophet salla Allahu 'alayhi wa salam would also take other types of bay'ah, but these were specific to him. The other two types (which I mentioned above) were general for all future leaders and commanders.

The proof that these other types of bay'ah were specific to him is that such bay'ahs can only be given to those who themselves are worthy of it. Which Shaykh can give such a tazkiyyah himself, i.e., that he is worhty of taking a bay'ah from someone not to commit any sin or ask anyone of anything?

What proves this beyond a shadow of a doubt is that the Companions, tabi'oon and those after them never practiced this habit, even though had it been something praiseworthy, they would have preceded us in it.

Yasir

Alpha Dude
03-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Wa alaykum salam,

It's nice to be back. Hope you are well. :)

I would suggest, in all sincerity, to not blindly follow anyone who tells you that it is bidah to follow a path of tasawuf via giving bay'ah to a shaykh. Look at other scholars, seek out sincere teachers and analyse what they say as far as evidence is concerned before making your mind up. Don't be afraid to go to a sufi shaykh (obviously, not one who is blatant in shirk, kufr acts etc) and listen to him directly for his evidences and proofs.

With no disrespect to Shaykh Yasir Qadhi, I think he has judged it from his inexperience on the matter. Until he sits with a shaykh of tasawuf with due sincerity to actually learn what its about from the horse's mouth, it's going to bounce off him. The relationship of bayah isn't something that can be read from a book and understood fully. It's something that's transferred from person to person. Hard to describe but once you sit with someone, only then you can fully appreciate it (you can do this without even needing to give bay'ah). Shaykh Yasir is not the only shaykh out there and nor is he infallible in his judgement.

To summarize, there are in the present day and age no organized Sufi tariqahs that are error-free. The least problem that one finds in all of them, without exception, are innovations in their acts of worship.
I gave bay'ah to a shaykh and was asked to do the following:

1. Live life as though I have an awareness of Allah. I.e. imagine Allah day in day out, with every action, lying, sitting, walking etc.
2. Recite as much of the Quran as possible per day
3. Do istighfar at least 200 times
4. Send salawat upon Prophet Sallalahu Alaihe Wassalam at least 200 times
5. Recite ayatul kursi after fardh salah once along with one tasbih Fatima (33 subhanAllah, 33 Alhamdulilah, 34 Allahu Akbar)
6. Before sleeping, reflect on the actions of the day and feel regret over the sins etc
7. Sit in muraqaba for 15 minutes at least. This means to sit and contemplate Allah. Contemplate the blessings of Allah coming into my heart while my heart is remembering Allah.

Nothing else. No grave worshipping. No calling out to the shaykh for help. Can you say there is anything wrong in doing any of the above?

It is my understanding that such close devotion and trust to the words of another human can only be reserved for our Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam), as only he is infallible with regards to the message of Islam. All other scholars and teachers after him are not free of error, so how can we make such a pledge to follow every word of theirs without question, whether in matters of self reformation or others?
When I said without question, that was referring to the times when they ask you to pray or do something with regards to your reformation (e.g. the above listed actions). There is nothing wrong in that if what they say doesn't go against the sharia. Even in your relationship with your own parents. You are obliged to do what they say as long as it's not haram. In the case that you are asked to do something wrong, you have a duty to leave, withdraw yourself and break any pledge you may have.

On the subject of the bay'ah - it's kind of like signing up on this forum. We are an Islamic community here - before being allowed into this community we had to 'give an oath' that we would follow the rules - is there any precedent of this from Quran and Sunnah that one can only enter a community of Muslims after having given an oath? Don't believe so, from my knowledge. Does that make it a bidah?

As I mentioned in my first post, scholars are inheritors of Prophets. This is mentioned in hadith. This statement by the Prophet sallalahualaihewassalam is a certificate for scholars to show that they are capable enough to guide people. Allah says to ask those who know, when you know not. If a person doesn't know how to reform his character and asks a shaykh for continuous advice under his tutelage, I see no problem with that.

We also know the hadith that says if a person performs the obligatory but on top of that does a lot of optional worship, Allah loves that person until he becomes the eyes with which he sees, ears with which he hears, hands with which he grasps, foot with which he walks and when he requests something, Allah readily grants it to him - if there is a proper shaykh who has been doing a lot of optional worship for many years (e.g. the stuff in the list above and more), is it not a good thing to look to him for guidance and dua when Allah has guaranteed that he will accept the dua of such a person? I see nothing but benefit for us in that.

With specific regards to placing one's trust in another's ability to guide and correct the condition of one's heart, I found the following verses from the Qur'an pertinent:
Allah says he will also provide for us, but that doesn't preclude us from taking the means to seek provision. In the same way, asking a shaykh for guidance in all spiritual matters is a method used to find guidance and I would argue that it is Allah who would guide a sincere person to the shaykh in the first place, which would agree perfectly with the first verse you quoted.

At the end of the day, my intention in this thread is not to shove tasawuf/sufism upon everyone. I'm not here to convince anyone. It's simply to provide some kind of perspective based on my measly knowledge of it because there are a lot of misconceptions.

My sincere advice is to research properly without bias and without blindly taking the word of someone who says it is wrong and if you have the opportunity to sit with some actual pious shaykh, then ask him for evidence and seek to understand rather than approach it with the mentality of refutation to start with.

I'm done here. :)

Hulk
03-24-2012, 01:46 AM
MashaAllah thank you for the informative responses brothers. May it be of benefit to threadstarter and anyone who reads

Muhammad
03-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Jazakallaahu khayran brother Alpha Dude for your informative reply.

Shaykh Yasir did mention it was a bid'ah, yes, but he also gave a reason. I thought it was slightly unfair of you to label this as blind following when in actual fact a clear reason was given. His point about the bay'ah in this context not being required by any 'famous scholars of fiqh, hadeeth, tafseer, etc of the first three generations (or even afterwards)' was a strong point as far as evidences and proofs are concerned, especially when you said that bay'ah is given with the intention of fulfiling a Sunnah yet gave no evidence to substantiate this. As we know, the Companions, may Allaah (swt) be pleased with them all, were the best scholars and inheritors of the Prophets. They had the most pious hearts and were the most rightly guided and we have to always return to their example and practice in order to understand the Sunnah. Yet as they passed their knowledge and reformed the generations after them, did anyone from these early generations ever require the taking of bay'ah? If not, then it is a strong reason not to be in favour of the bay'ah. It cannot simply be put down to a case of inexperience or not meeting a Sufi Shaykh in person.

Nothing else. No grave worshipping. No calling out to the shaykh for help. Can you say there is anything wrong in doing any of the above?
No, I can't. But I don't understand why a person needs to give bay'ah for doing it.

When I said without question, that was referring to the times when they ask you to pray or do something with regards to your reformation (e.g. the above listed actions). There is nothing wrong in that if what they say doesn't go against the sharia. Even in your relationship with your own parents. You are obliged to do what they say as long as it's not haram. In the case that you are asked to do something wrong, you have a duty to leave, withdraw yourself and break any pledge you may have.
The relationship with one's parents is one that Allaah (swt) has decreed for everyone. But the bay'ah towards one's Shaykh is a relationship they have obligated upon themselves, and thus the discussion is why the need to do that in the first place.

On the subject of the bay'ah - it's kind of like signing up on this forum. We are an Islamic community here - before being allowed into this community we had to 'give an oath' that we would follow the rules - is there any precedent of this from Quran and Sunnah that one can only enter a community of Muslims after having given an oath? Don't believe so, from my knowledge. Does that make it a bidah?
I suppose this goes back to the definition of bid'ah. Is the mere act of registering on a forum done so as an act of worship? Moreover I am not sure we can equate the forum rules to giving an oath - they are more like guidelines and people register without even reading them. Neither are we claiming to list them as an implementation of the Sunnah.

If a person doesn't know how to reform his character and asks a shaykh for continuous advice under his tutelage, I see no problem with that.
From what has been mentioned, bay'ah is not the same as continuous advice under one's tutelage, as this definition can be applied to all students learning from their teachers.

We also know the hadith that says if a person performs the obligatory but on top of that does a lot of optional worship, Allah loves that person until he becomes the eyes with which he sees, ears with which he hears, hands with which he grasps, foot with which he walks and when he requests something, Allah readily grants it to him - if there is a proper shaykh who has been doing a lot of optional worship for many years (e.g. the stuff in the list above and more), is it not a good thing to look to him for guidance and dua when Allah has guaranteed that he will accept the dua of such a person? I see nothing but benefit for us in that.
But again there is nothing in this to support the bay'ah. Students of knowledge can remain with their teachers for years and receive these benefits, but no bay'ah need be involved.

Allah says he will also provide for us, but that doesn't preclude us from taking the means to seek provision. In the same way, asking a shaykh for guidance in all spiritual matters is a method used to find guidance and I would argue that it is Allah who would guide a sincere person to the shaykh in the first place, which would agree perfectly with the first verse you quoted.
Yes, scholars can give us guidance in terms of showing us the way. But no human has the power to put that guidance into our hearts. I am sure you agree with this point. It is just the way it was worded in your post ('You are placing your trust in him. In his ability to guide and correct the condition of your heart'). At all times our trust is upon Allaah (swt) alone, and going to the scholar could be considered a means, much like taking a medicine for an illness whilst believing the cure is solely from Allaah (swt) and not the medicine.

At the end of the day, my intention in this thread is not to shove tasawuf/sufism upon everyone. I'm not here to convince anyone. It's simply to provide some kind of perspective based on my measly knowledge of it because there are a lot of misconceptions.
That's understandable. Ultimately we will all be accountable for our own actions and must act according to what we believe is closest to the truth. You are sharing your views and I am sharing mine. Perhaps in the end we may have to agree to disagree on this, but maybe we will have a better understanding of the other's reasons for making their choice.

May Allaah (swt) forgive us if we said anything wrong.

Snowflake
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Perhaps giving bay'ah to a scholar doesn't fall under bid'ah if it is seen as a commitment agreement that benefits the student by making him feel he has to honour and maintain the relationship between himself and his teacher and implement the knowledge gained through him. Not feeling committed to one teacher could result in a student from flitting from scholar to scholar and becoming more lost and confused in the process.

This type of bay'ah doesn't appear to have the same connotations as giving bay'ah to the Prophet (pbuh) Ruler/Commander in battle, which would be more harmful for the people, and the one who gave bay'ah if he were to deflect from it. And Allah knows best.

joyous fairy
10-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Assalam alaykum..

This is how I see it:

If giving bayah is going to benefit someone and bring them closer to Allah (swt) why shouldn't it be allowed.

I am quite a lazy person and i need guidance on what to read, how to purify myself and increase my worship so i become a better Muslim and if giving bayah is what will help me achieve that, then why not? Surely something that will make me do things that i would otherwise put aside can only be a good thing?

Muhammad
10-25-2012, 01:54 PM
:wasalamex

Allaah (swt) knows best. It's worth bearing in mind that it is not an obligation on a Muslim to pledge his allegiance to a given Shaykh or to affiliate with him. If he does not do any of this, he is not sinful and this does not affect his faith. Rather, one could be sinful if such allegiance to a Shaykh is done like the way the innovators do it. So at the very least please ensure that the reasons for which you are doing it, and the person you pledge with, are sound and according to the Qur'an and Sunnah. Nowadays there are countless speakers and callers to Islam, and especially over the internet, it can be very difficult to know who to take knowledge from, let alone give bay'ah to. So if a person wants to go down this route, upon them is to do the necessary research and take appropriate precautions.

جوري
10-25-2012, 02:08 PM
For what it is worth I have one cousin who has done this sort of thing, she now wears bizarre beads to ward off 'evil eye' constantly has incense in her house, and has very unusual hand greetings. When I saw her in Ramadan I was flabbergasted, she greeted me with words I'd never heard the prophet or sahabas use and wouldn't shake hands as is customary but put both hands together and touched mine three times. I felt very uncomfortable being a part of that.
I don't have a favorable view of sufis nor have I a favorable view of anyone that innovates anything from the ways of the salaf, unadulterated Islam is very simple that I find any further additives or preservatives difficult to swallow.

I didn't wish to partake in this thread because there are some people here I think very highly of that have a different point of view but I am speaking of my experience with one and the others that I am not related to were not any better.. so sob7an Allah.. I am sure they view me poorly but I'll chance it than join their liege.

:w:

~Zaria~
10-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I just wanted to share the views of the late, respected Hazrat Ml Yunus Patel (ra), whom I have admired deeply for many years - A person who truly lived his life as a Walli of Allah.....and spent much of his life and lectures towards Islaah (Reformation of the heart).

May Allah fill his qabr with noor and grant him the highest status in Jannah. Ameen

Relating to Bay'ah & Tasawwuf
QUESTION

I would like to know about Sufism. Is it a part of Islam or is it something which has just been made up by fraudulent people who are marketing it as religion ? What I hear sometimes makes me think this is a “hoax” – a money-making racket. Many talk about shaykhs, peers, taking bay`ah with such people, Islaahun nafs, etc. I would appreciate a correct understanding of the ideology. What is the purpose ?

Bismihi Ta’ala

Respected Sister in Islam,

Wa-alaykumus Salaam wa-Rahmatullahi wa-Barakaatuhu

1.) “Sufism”, or Tasawwuf / Tariqat is very much a part of Islamic teachings. Shariah is knowledge and Tariqat is acting upon that knowledge. It covers all aspects of Deen, by following in the footsteps of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), and revolves around the purification of heart and soul, the reformation of the nafs (self / ego), developing intense love for Allah Ta’ala and a connection with Him, such that we submit to Him, with heart, mind, soul and body. The Qur`aan Sharief alludes toTazkiyya and Islaah a number of times.

2.) Unfortunately, many have spoilt the good name of “Sufism” or tasawwuf by introducing actions which are not in conformity with Islamic teachings. Some people have made Sufism appear like another religion, or they have brought into Sufism, the ideas and rites of mysticism from other religions. Moreover, there are many bogus ‘peers’ that are just in it for money. Therefore caution needs to be exercised in choosing a spiritual mentor.

3.) Bay`ah is a practice (Sunnah) of the Prophet (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa-Sallam), which has been carried down, through the ages, by our Spiritual Guides.
It is through the barakah (blessings) of Bay`at that a person is able to easily and steadily traverse and progress through the different stages in the spiritual world. The seeker is constantly drawing direction and guidance from the spiritual guide who has proficiency and expertise in the field.
Bay`ah is choosing a spiritual doctor (a Shaykh) for your spiritual ailments. The Shaykh must be one whom you are most compatible with, and whose teachings, you readily accept and follow. Of course, the Shaykh must be on Haq. There are many fraudulent people in the guise of the pious. The Shaykh must be learned, experienced, pious and wise – for such a person must have your best interests at heart.

The objective is Islaah (reformation), and complete Obedience to Allah Ta’ala and Rasulullah (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa-Sallam). The mureed (disciple) should therefore inform the Shaykh of his or her spiritual weaknesses – whether it be hasad (jealousy), kibr (pride), riyaa (ostentation), hirs (greed), Hubbud-Dunya (Obsessive love for the world) – or whatever it be, missing out his Salaah due to laziness, casting lustful gazes, listening to music, being involved in an illicit relationship, etc.

The Shaykh, if he is ‘Kaamil’, will not look down upon his mureed when informed of such sicknesses – just as a doctor will not look down upon his patient, because his patient has cancer, or a brain tumuor, etc.
The right of the mureed over the Shaykh is that the Shaykh then makes Islaah of that spiritual malady – thus the Shaykh prescribes some remedy and also makes dua. For the mureed to experience the benefits and curative properties in the Shaykhs treatment and dua, it becomes absolutely necessary to now follow the Shaykh’s advice. This is the mode and manner to restore spiritual health.

As an example : The mureed considers and thinks himself to be pious and great, and better than other people. He looks down upon those who do not do good deeds as he does, who do not dress in the Sunnah libaas like he does or who do not have a beard as he does… He considers himself better and superior, and considers others as sinful, immoral and condemned to hell-fire. This then is ujub (conceit) and takabbur (pride).
He should thus explain his condition by informing his Shaykh : I think of myself as great. I look down upon those who do not do what I do. I consider myself, an accepted servant. I consider my piety to be my achievement and effort. I think of others as evil and despicable. …I don’t keep their company because I consider them as evil, and think of myself as too pure and pious to be with them, that it is below my dignity and honour to sit amongst such people …. etc. etc.
So then the Shaykh will prescribe some suitable remedy – depending on various other aspects of the mureed.
If the mureed has a problem in controlling his anger, then he should inform the Shaykh: I am very temperamental – and I lose my anger when my wife does something wrong, even if it is something small. I sometimes slap or kick in that anger. I swear her and I threaten her with Talaq….
The mureed must spell out his weakness by giving an example of his behaviour.
Just saying that I have anger, pride, hasad is not very helpful to the Shaykh. …What makes you feel that you have pride or hasad ?
The more specific you are in informing of your sickness, the more specific and exact will be the remedy.

4.) In this journey of love, the mureed will experience different spiritual states and conditions. However, this is, as I generally describe, the scenery enroute, as we travel to reach our destination. The scenery, no matter how beautiful, is not the destination. …But this also requires much explanation. You could listen to the talk: Feeling spiritually low? – which you will find on the website www.yunuspatel.co.za

5.) You can also listen to the talks: “Tasawwuf made Easy”, and can download the book ‘Ikhlaas’ from this website. The book includes some discussion on Tasawwuf.

6.) May Allah Ta’ala fill our hearts with His Love and guide us all on the Path of Divine Love, and grant us the crowns of His Friendship. May Allah Ta’ala grant taufeeq of obedience and protect us from anything that is displeasing to Him.

Was-Salaamu alaykum wa-Rahmatullahi wa-Barakaatuhu
Yunus Patel (Maulana)

Please also listen to his audio on this subject.

http://www.yunuspatel.co.za/audio-bayat.php

I SO wish that I could have the chance to sit at the feet of one, whose heart is ATTACHED to Allah (subhanawataála) and His nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam), and who is completely DETACHED from this dunya.

These types are few and far between.
And for a women, this most likely will remain an impossibility.

I do believe that to be able to reach reformation of ones heart, in its highest form - can be best accomplished in this manner (perhaps its not the only way, but it is one of the best ways).

It saddens me that I will never have this opportunity.

Which is why i try to spend much time listening to the bayaans from personalities such these.
Insha Allah, i pray that in time, their intense love for Allah and Muhammad (salllahu alaihi wasalam) may rub off me as well......

:wa:

Signor
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Members please keep the level of maturity high.Threads like these often turns into battlezone for keyboard warriors,difference of opinion exists between Ummah and neither you being against or far can change the reality.Please Re read what Brother Muhammad has already posted:

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

Allaah (swt) knows best. It's worth bearing in mind that it is not an obligation on a Muslim to pledge his allegiance to a given Shaykh or to affiliate with him. If he does not do any of this, he is not sinful and this does not affect his faith. Rather, one could be sinful if such allegiance to a Shaykh is done like the way the innovators do it. So at the very least please ensure that the reasons for which you are doing it, and the person you pledge with, are sound and according to the Qur'an and Sunnah. Nowadays there are countless speakers and callers to Islam, and especially over the internet, it can be very difficult to know who to take knowledge from, let alone give bay'ah to. So if a person wants to go down this route, upon them is to do the necessary research and take appropriate precautions.
Jazak Allah Khair

Assalamu Alaikum

Alpha Dude
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

This is a fair, balanced and just approach. I hope everyone can agree on this.

Insaanah
10-25-2012, 07:45 PM

From my understanding, bay3ah is only to be given to the leader of the Muslims, and the sahaabah only gave bay'ah to whichever of the sahaabah was khalifa at the time. None of the taabi3een gave a bay3ah to any sahaabah that wasn't a khaleefa at the time, even though they had teachers from among the sahaabah whom they would spend a great deal of time with. It's not a practice from the first two generations of Islam. Many sahaabah and taabi3een had teachers, but it was not deemed correct to give bay'ah to an individual, no matter how learned or pious. And people didn't just stick to one teacher, deeming going to any others as wrong. The oath of allegiance was for the ruler, that you would be loyal to them etc. Some of the sahaabah narrated very few ahadeeth, for fear of transmitting something wrong, and here we have people accepting others oaths of allegiance to them, that they will follow them, and do as they say, and that they will cure their spiritual problems. Islam was conveyed in it's completeness, publicly, and there wasn't anything hidden that only certain people might know, and one would have to go to them to get the benefit of it.

If one has a spiritual problem, one can, apart from making du3a, seek it's solution in Qur'an and Hadeeth and from knowledgeable people and scholars who may be able to help. Indeed to be able to learn from knowledgeable people is a blessing. But this taking an oath of allegiance to a knowledgable person/scholar, is not necessary nor a practice from early Islam as the Prophet :saws: and companions (may Allah be pleased with them) left it for us.

And Allah knows best.

Hamza Asadullah
10-25-2012, 11:18 PM
It is a gross misunderstanding to think of giving bayah to a Sheikh the same as giving bayah to a ruler. Both pledges are completely different. Giving Bayah to a teacher is a commitment one makes in order to follow a god-fearing scholar's guidance and expertise, taken from the teachings and message of the Qur'an and Sunnah, in order to draw closer to Allah Most High and to become of the people who obey Allah, out of love, consciousness, and thankfulness, and whose belief is a living reality in their hearts, not merely a list of accepted facts in their minds. It is to become a true follower of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam ), in the practical sense by living his example in one's actions, habits, inclinations, states, and way of being.

So one must not think of such a pledge as being the same as giving a pledge of allegiance to a ruler. Most scholars who want to progress further commit themselves to various teachers and spiritual guides in their lifetimes. A scholar may commit to one teacher to help them progress in a certain area of knowledge for a while until moving onto another teacher to help them with another aspect of knowledge of Islam or they may commit to a certain teacher for a very long time as many great scholars did. In this way they will gain Ijaazas in order to help other seekers of knowledge in a similar way. In order to do this they give their commitment to those teachers and in doing so those teachers help them to gain knowledge in specific or general aspects of Islam.

Similarly when a person gives their commitment then it eradicates complacency in that the person has committed themselves to learn from a specific teacher. If no commitment is made then such a person may not even bother turning up after a couple of meetings. That is the purpose of commitment. Humans are very complacent creatures. We are ever needing reminding and pushing and to not committed oneself is leaving oneself open to laziness, procrastination and complacency.

And example of this is my local Masjid who regularly do various Islamic and Arabic courses. They charge for them. The organiser told me that the reason why they charge is so that when people pay then it is a type of commitment they are making so they know they have to turn up every week whereas if the course was free then you will hardly see the same people turn up every week.

It has also been mentioned that Islam is public and nothing in Islam is hidden that a person needs to go to a teacher to learn a hidden thing from them. This statement does not make any sense. If that were the case then what is the point of having teachers in the first place? Why does anyone need to learn from a teacher? Everything is in books then teachers should be out of a job. Scholars do not need spiritual guides and no one needs to learn from anyone as everything about Islam is written in books. The same would apply for any subject. Why learn medicine from teachers when you can learn from books? Nothing in medicine is hidden that we need to learn from teachers.

Of course it is not absolutely necessary for anyone to take bayah with a learned teacher but for many it may be very beneficial to have a spiritual guide who may help and guide them along a progressive spiritual journey. Like a teacher, tutor or mentor helps and guides their pupils along a long course at School, College or University. The pupil builds a teacher pupil relationship and the teacher will eventually understand the pupils strengths and weaknesses in order to help him/her in the best way possible.

Similarly a person who wants to progress on a spiritual path may need the help and guidance to try and reach their goals on such a spiritual journey so that one may use the knowledge and expertise of a Spiritual teacher or Doctor of the heart to try and get closer to Allah and build up taqwa. Some may even want to reach the heights of ihsaan.

In order to help a person along their spiritual journey a Spiritual guide may prescribe ways for the individual to progressively reach their goal in accordance with the persons abilities, strengths and weaknesses. It's all well and good to say that one should just go to various scholars, but firstly that is not practical because of how busy scholars are and secondly one will never get as much commitment and time as one would gain from a proper spiritual guide. Nor is it as effective as having a specific teacher who one will develop a teacher student relationship with and who will get to know the students behaviours, habits, strengths and weaknesses so that the teacher may prescribe and help the student in the most effective and optimum way possible .

The most important aspect of bayah is choosing the right teacher. Such a teacher should be very experienced, reliable and have the adequate expertise in order to help a person to progress on their spiritual journey in the most effective way possible. A person should choose a teacher based on good references by others who have benefited from such a teacher.

In conclusion there is nothing wrong with a person giving their commitment to a knowledgeable and experienced teacher whom they can greatly benefit from. For the purpose of doing so is to get closer to Allah and to be able to reach the spiritual heights that may not be achievable if one was to go about such a journey alone.

And Allah knows best in all matters

~Zaria~
10-26-2012, 11:39 AM
^ JazakAllah khair akhee.

What are the options for sisters who desire this type of islaah?

I often feel quite isolated in my attempts to build on taqwa and to deal with my own spiritual weaknesses.
Usually, one of the only times that sisters get a chance to read salaah in congregation and listen to live bayaans is in Ramadaan, for taraweeh.

For the brothers who have the ability to read in the masjid on a daily basis, they may not realise what a blessing this is for them.

As well as having the chance to give bayaah to a sheikh and learn directly from one who is on the path of the righteous.
What a blessing, if only more brothers could realise!

As you have mentioned, when there is no commitment - then, the nafs are inclined to laziness and complacency - and not much gets done, esp. by oneself.
Which is often the case for the sisters (its likely that Im speaking for myself though..... : / Im not sure if the other sisters feel the same...... )

Hamza Asadullah
10-26-2012, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
^ JazakAllah khair akhee.

What are the options for sisters who desire this type of islaah?

I often feel quite isolated in my attempts to build on taqwa and to deal with my own spiritual weaknesses.
Usually, one of the only times that sisters get a chance to read salaah in congregation and listen to live bayaans is in Ramadaan, for taraweeh.

For the brothers who have the ability to read in the masjid on a daily basis, they may not realise what a blessing this is for them.

As well as having the chance to give bayaah to a sheikh and learn directly from one who is on the path of the righteous.
What a blessing, if only more brothers could realise!

As you have mentioned, when there is no commitment - then, the nafs are inclined to laziness and complacency - and not much gets done, esp. by oneself.
Which is often the case for the sisters (its likely that Im speaking for myself though..... : / Im not sure if the other sisters feel the same...... )

Asalaamu Alaikum, Bayah can also be undertaken by women as long as the Shaykh with whom one is giving her allegiance is a genuine Shaykh, in that he must have reached a level of piety and Taqwa, and he himself was trained by a similar Shaykh. This aspect is more important to consider when a woman is giving her allegiance, for at times, not giving this due consideration can bring about horrendous consequences.

As far as the interaction with the Shaykh is concerned, this is permissible, for it will be considered to be formal and due to need. A female may seek advice from her Shaykh by speaking to him, writing a letter or any other way provided the rules of Hijab are fully observed. Non observance of the laws of Hijab or being casual is impermissible even with one's shaykh, for Shaytan is ever ready to launch his attack on the weakest instinct of the human race which is the sexual instinct.

If the husband feels that his wife's communication with her Shaykh should be through him or at least with his knowledge and permission, then this is his right, and the wife should adhere to his wish. At times, this may be more advisable, especially if the Shaykh is relatively young.

In conclusion, a female may give her Bay'a to a shaykh provided the shaykh is a genuine shaykh, and the rules and regulations of Hijab are fully observed.

Taken from: http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?...=2418&CATE=126

Alternatively join a sisters circle in your local area. There are many pious and active sisters in most areas where a lot of Muslims reside. Try to find a good sisters group or circle or an experienced and reliable female teacher whom you can regularly spend time wih and learn from. If not then surround yourself with like minded sisters who are also yearning and striving for the Hereafter. Involve yourself in Islamic courses as that is where you are likely to meet such sisters. On top of that kep attending good lectures whenever you can. Ask of Allah to surround you with good and pious company and learned people whom you can learn ansd benefit from.

~Zaria~
10-26-2012, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Asalaamu Alaikum, Bayah can also be undertaken by women as long as the Shaykh with whom one is giving her allegiance is a genuine Shaykh, in that he must have reached a level of piety and Taqwa, and he himself was trained by a similar Shaykh.

I was truly unaware of this. I dont know of any sisters that have taken bayah to a shaykh, but this is good to be aware of.

I guess it would be preferable to chose an elderly shaykh, and that the sister wears niqaab at all times.

Alternatively join a sisters circle in your local area. There are many pious and active sisters in most areas where a lot of Muslims reside. Try to find a good sisters group or circle or an experienced and reliable female teacher whom you can regularly spend time wih and learn from. If not then surround yourself with like minded sisters who are also yearning and striving for the Hereafter. Involve yourself in Islamic courses as that is where you are likely to meet such sisters. On top of that kep attending good lectures whenever you can. Ask of Allah to surround you with good and pious company and learned people whom you can learn ansd benefit from.
Its easier to find a sisters group with younger members than a more 'senior' group.
Just to find a haafizah (for hifz lessons) has been challenging (women also tend to have less time once they have kids/ family).

JazakAllah for the advices and link.

joyous fairy
10-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Assalam alaikum,

Sis Zaria, I know plenty of sisters who have given bayah! I myself am considering this, my sisters are bayah with different shaykhs and one of them gave bayah online. I have heard of Shaykhas who have studied under those Shaykhs and they teach too so its not as rare as we may think.

Muhaba
10-27-2012, 08:24 AM
there is no need to do bayah to a shaikh.

you may go to imams and scholars to learn from them but you should seek trustible scholars who only follow Quran and Sunnah and not twisted ways. There is no need to sit at the feet of an imam. there is no such thing as one sitting at the feet of the one above him and a chain forming up to the Prophet (SAW). Whatever you post should have evidence from hadith or Quran for it. there is no evidence for this.

You should study on your own too, expecially the Quran and it's commentary (which includes hadith from Prophet Muhammad (SAW)) so that you increase in correct knowledge and are not misguided. Depending only on another may cause your straying since you won't have knowledge of your own to know whether what he / she is saying is Islamically correct or not. You should never totally depend on the words of the shaikh/imam. At least look it up in Tafsir (index) or online to see what the rulings about a particular matter is. Whatever your imam tells you, ask for evidence from hadith and Quran. If they quote a hadith, ask the source, like Sahih - Al Bukhari, book number, hadith number, page number, etc. If the imam is unwilling or dislikes that you ask these sort of questions, it's better to find another imam.

Remember that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said he was leaving behind TWO THINGS so long as we clung to them, we would not go astray. Those two things are the QURAN and SUNNAH.
Another hadith shows that imams should not be blindly followed.

Allah says in the Quran:
They have taken their scholars and monks as lords besides Allah , and [also] the Messiah, the son of Mary. And they were not commanded except to worship one God; there is no deity except Him. Exalted is He above whatever they associate with Him.
(9:31)

In a hadith it is written that a companion of the Prophet (SAW), Hadrat Adi b Hatim asked the Prophet (SAW) about this verse. The Prophet (SAW) said that they had taken their learned men and priests as rabbs because whatever the learned men / priests made permitted or forbid they accepted without ascertaining what Allah had said about it.

thus blindly following a scholar (or anyone) and taking as true whatever he/she says without finding out the islamic ruling on the matter in Quran and Sunnah equals to making the scholars one's god.

See Four Basic Quranic Terms by Sayyad Abu Al'Ala Maududi for more information.

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2012, 12:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER
there is no need to do bayah to a shaikh.

you may go to imams and scholars to learn from them but you should seek trustible scholars who only follow Quran and Sunnah and not twisted ways. There is no need to sit at the feet of an imam. there is no such thing as one sitting at the feet of the one above him and a chain forming up to the Prophet (SAW). Whatever you post should have evidence from hadith or Quran for it. there is no evidence for this.

You should study on your own too, expecially the Quran and it's commentary (which includes hadith from Prophet Muhammad (SAW)) so that you increase in correct knowledge and are not misguided. Depending only on another may cause your straying since you won't have knowledge of your own to know whether what he / she is saying is Islamically correct or not. You should never totally depend on the words of the shaikh/imam. At least look it up in Tafsir (index) or online to see what the rulings about a particular matter is. Whatever your imam tells you, ask for evidence from hadith and Quran. If they quote a hadith, ask the source, like Sahih - Al Bukhari, book number, hadith number, page number, etc. If the imam is unwilling or dislikes that you ask these sort of questions, it's better to find another imam.

Remember that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said he was leaving behind TWO THINGS so long as we clung to them, we would not go astray. Those two things are the QURAN and SUNNAH.
Another hadith shows that imams should not be blindly followed.

Allah says in the Quran:
They have taken their scholars and monks as lords besides Allah , and [also] the Messiah, the son of Mary. And they were not commanded except to worship one God; there is no deity except Him. Exalted is He above whatever they associate with Him.
(9:31)

In a hadith it is written that a companion of the Prophet (SAW), Hadrat Adi b Hatim asked the Prophet (SAW) about this verse. The Prophet (SAW) said that they had taken their learned men and priests as rabbs because whatever the learned men / priests made permitted or forbid they accepted without ascertaining what Allah had said about it.

thus blindly following a scholar (or anyone) and taking as true whatever he/she says without finding out the islamic ruling on the matter in Quran and Sunnah equals to making the scholars one's god.

See Four Basic Quranic Terms by Sayyad Abu Al'Ala Maududi for more information.

Sister your post is clearly full of misconceptions about what it means to take bayah with a knowledgable teacher. Firstly what do you mean by "sitting at the feet of an imam"? Such a thing has nothing to do with learning from a pious teacher. Do all people who learn from a teacher "sit at his feet"? Therefore such a statement is irrelevant to this topic.

Regarding what you mentioned about blind following and not learning on yourown and verifying then this is another gross misconception. Taking bayah does not mean you shut your eyes and become like a zombie who is hypnotised by every word taught without even verifying if it is true or not. It does not mean that you cannot ask questions and that you have to agree 100% with every single thing you are taught and every opinion your teacher supports. You can discuss, debate and even be critical of anything you do not agree with. You do not have to follow the same opinions regarding certain matters pertaining to fiqh for example. So taking bayah does NOT mean blind following at all for this is a gross misconception.

This bayah is NOT like a bayah that is made to khaliph but it is a pledge that one will remain committed to the commands of Allah and His Apostle and as far as possible and will refrain from the ‘prohibitive’ (Haraam) and comply with the ‘imperatives. Therefore this bayah is actually a pledge to Allah. It is a commitment that one solely for the pleasure of Allah will seek the knowledge, wisdom and expertise from his teacher whom will also make a commitment to give his time to help his pupil as far as he can. Such a bayah is a commitment to Allah. Similarly the Prophet (Sallalllahu Alaihi Wasallam) also took such bayah's:

Narated Auf Ibn Malik Ashja'ee (رضئ اللہ تعالی عنہ): 'We were with Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم) seven, eight or nine (of us), when he said: Will you not make bay'a (pledge) to the Apostle of Allah (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم)?' We stretched our hands and inquired: On what shall we make bay'a to you, O'Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم)? He said 'That you make Ibadah of Allah (سبحانہ و تعا لی),- that you associate nothing with Him,- that you perform the five (time) Salah; that you hear and obey." (Muslim, Abu Dawud and Nasai).

Taking bayah is A NORMAL STUDENT - TEACHER RELATIONSHIP. The ONLY difference being that you are committing yourself and and a certain amount of you time to learn from a particular teacher in order to gain knowledge and wisdom and build taqwa and to gain and reach the heights of ihsaan. The teacher is also making a commitment to give a certain amount of his time to teach you.

Thats the difference between making a commitment to a teacher and "just going to a scholar", because most of the times scholars are not be free to spend much time answering question andgiving advice because of how busy they are. Even if they are free then they will not have that much time to spend with a particular person, certainly not on regular basis. One will not be able to get much out of such sporadic interactions. Whereas when you have made a commitment and the teacher has made a commitment to you then you will gain a lot more time, knowledge and wisdom from that particular scholar.

Eventually a closer student - teacher relationship will develop where the teacher will start to know and understand the pupils weaknesses, strenghths etc andbe able to prescribe and benefit the pupil in much more of an effective manner than if there was no such relationship with the teacher. The teacher would help and caution the pupil on day to day mistakes and purify from worldly attractions, desires etc. In this way the pupil will greatly benefit from more time, knowledge, experitise and wisdom from such a teacher where as this would never be the case if a person was to just "go to a scholar" as it would be likely that the scholar would not have any time or would not be able to spend much of his time with the person.

So why is it beneficial to learn from a knowledgeable and pious teacher? Because firstly it is in accordance with the Qur'an and Sunnah to sit and learn from company of the pious. Secondly one will gain virtue in the company of a virtuous person and one will attract evil in the company of an evil person. Simply because the beliefs, convictions and thoughts of a person spread around him like a magnetic force which impacts his companions, friends and members of his family.

Therefore, when a person sits in the company of a pious teacher, then his ordinary thoughts, evil considerations and materialistic notions weaken and gradually get extinct and his wisdom in understanding Islamic issues increases manifold. The Quran commands us to "refer to those who know" and to be in the company of virtuous people and to avoid evil people as evil company will be our enemies on the day of judgement.

Most of the greatest scholars had specific teachers in their lifetimes. This is because one will benefit more with having one teacher at a time than going to many different teachers because teachers are also people and every person is different in that they have different perceptions, perspectives and different ways of thinking and methods of teaching etc. They also have different weaknesses and strengths. But that does not mean you disregard the teachings any other scholar but it just means you are committing yourself to being taught by a specific teacher for a certain amount of time just as most scholars did and still do as they learn different discplines with different sheikhs for a certain amount of time and then moved onto another to learn a different discpline.

As i have already mentioned in my previous post the most important thing about taking bayah is to choose the right teacher. The Sheikh should be aware of Quranic imperatives and Prophetic traditions as well as necessary (fiqhi) Islamic Jurisprudence (rules) and most importantly should have also been blessed with the companionship of an experienced teacher just as most of the greatest scholars of all time have been blessed with being taught by very eminant figures. Even now you will see scholars who travel the world to commit their time to certain teachers who are known for their knowledge, wisdom and expertise. Such a sheikh should have good referances from others who have learnt from him. The distinction of a good Sheikh is that when you think about him or look at his picture or see him personally, your evil considerations (wasaawis) and useless thoughts stop and you are reminded of Allah and the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam).

So in conclusion there is only great benefit in one taking bayah with a pious and knowledgable teacher and if a person wants to do so in order to gain knowledge, wisdom and build up ones imaan, taqwa and reach the heights of ihsaan then they should certainly find a pious teacher in order to do so.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Insaanah
10-27-2012, 02:02 PM

There may be two different types of bay'ah now, but, in Islam as left for us to follow by the Prophet :saws: and companions, there is only one bay'ah, which is to the ruler/leader. Any other type of bay'ah does not have it's origins in the practice of the Prophet :saws: or sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them).

No matter how harmless, or how good, or how beneficial an action may seem to us, we need to be very careful before deeming it acceptable or praiseworthy or recommending it to others. Unfortunately nowadays, such matters can sometimes be taken lightly.

Problems of the heart are not a new thing. But the way of dealing with them, is. The biggest and best cure for diseases of the heart, is the Qur'an, which is a healing for what is in the hearts of men:

"O mankind! there hath come to you a direction from your Lord and a healing for the (diseases) in your hearts,- and for those who believe, a guidance and a Mercy." (10:57)

"And We send down of the Qur'an that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase the wrongdoers except in loss." (17:85)

People used to come to the prophet :saws: and the sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them), describing their various shortcomings of the heart and otherwise, none of them said, take a pledge of allegiance to me, obey what I say, stay with me all/most/a certain period of your life, and we'll work on your problems together.

The Prophet's :saws: approach to such problems, was very succinct, sub'haanallah, and the best of examples for us to follow:

وَحَدَّثَنِي عَمْرٌو النَّاقِدُ، وَابْنُ أَبِي عُمَرَ، جَمِيعًا عَنْ سُفْيَانَ، قَالَ عَمْرٌو حَدَّثَنَا سُفْيَانُ، بْنُ عُيَيْنَةَ عَنِ الزُّهْرِيِّ، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ الأَقْرَعَ بْنَ حَابِسٍ، أَبْصَرَ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم يُقَبِّلُ الْحَسَنَ فَقَالَ إِنَّ لِي عَشَرَةً مِنَ الْوَلَدِ مَا قَبَّلْتُ وَاحِدًا مِنْهُمْ فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ إِنَّهُ مَنْ لاَ يَرْحَمْ لاَ يُرْحَمٌْ

Abu Huraira reported that al-Aqra' b. Habis saw Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) kissing Hasan. He said:
I have ten children, but I have never kissed any one of them, whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: He who does not show mercy (towards his children), no mercy would be shown to him.

Sahih Muslim, The Book Pertaining to the Excellent Qualities of the Holy Prophet (may Peace be upon them)- كتاب الفضائل >
Arabic reference : Book 44, Hadith 6170

A short, simple, clear and profound statement, that no doubt, would have had a huge impact on the addressee.

And this beautiful example of the Prophet :saws: has been preserved for us.

There wasn't any need for people to spend time with the prophet :saws: or sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them) to attempt to cure every single bad thought or habit they might have. Allah the most Merciful, knows what is in our inner hearts, the efforts we make to improve ourselves. Allah doesn't demand perfection from us in every respect but for us to obey Him and His messenger :saws:, to strive, and to repent, and to seek forgiveness. That is all that is required. But we are not to exceed religious bounds in doing this, such as via new practices. Learning from righteous, pious, knowledgeable people, was of course done at the time of the Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them), and we can follow their way, which is simple.

Indeed the people who enter jannah, any rancour will be removed from their hearts. That shows us, that we are not expected to have the most perfect heart to succeed, for if we were, there would have been no need for Allah to make that statement. But we make du3a, and effort:

"And those who came after them say: "Our Lord! Forgive us, and our brethren who came before us into the Faith, and leave not, in our hearts, rancour (or sense of injury) against those who have believed. Our Lord! Thou art indeed Full of Kindness, Most Merciful." (59:10)

"And We remove whatever rancour may be in their hearts. Rivers flow beneath them. And they say: All praise be to Allah, Who has guided us to this. We could not truly have been led aright if Allah had not guided us." (7:43)

If spiritual doctors were needed, the Prophet :saws: would be the first to appoint them, and the sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them) would have been amongst the foremost and best of them. But this wasn't a part of the Islam that they left for us.

This bayah is NOT like a bayah that is made to khaliph but it is a pledge that one will remain committed to the commands of Allah and His Apostle and as far as possible and will refrain from the ‘prohibitive’ (Haraam) and comply with the ‘imperatives. Therefore this bayah is actually a pledge to Allah.
It is the shahaadah, the first pillar of Islam, and our testimony of faith, which encapsulates these things. Nothing else.

And Allah knows best.

~Zaria~
10-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Bay`ah is a practice (Sunnah) of the Prophet (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa-Sallam), which has been carried down, through the ages, by our Spiritual Guides.
It is not necessary for everyone to agree with this.

To each, his own.

For those who have taken bayah to a respected and trusted shaykh - one who is a true lover of Allah and His rasul (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) and have been able to climb the ladder of taqwa, and are living their lives with such sweetness of imaan and such intensity in their love for Allah - then, ALHAMDULILLAH.

May we all be able to reach this state of devotion.

I personally do not see any point in going back and forth on this subject.

Insha Allah, there will be more benefit in closing this discussion......

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2012, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

There may be two different types of bay'ah now, but, in Islam as left for us to follow by the Prophet :saws: and companions there is only bay'ah, which is to the ruler/leader. Any other type of bay'ah does not have it's origins in the practice of the Prophet :saws: or sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them).

I have already proven in my previous post that many of the Prophet's (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) companions took a pledge to him on that other than the khalifat:

1 - Narrated 'Ubada bin As-Samit (رضئ اللہ تعالی عنہ): who took part in the battle of Badr and was a Naqib (a person heading a group of six persons), on the night of Al-'Aqaba pledge: Allah's Apostle (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم) said while a group of his companions were around him, "Swear allegiance to me for: (1) Not to join anything in worship along with Allah. (2) Not to steal. (3) Not to commit illegal sexual intercourse. (4) Not to kill your children. (5) Not to accuse an innocent person (to spread such an accusation among people). (6) Not to be disobedient (when ordered) to do good deed."
The Prophet (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم) added: "Whoever among you fulfills his pledge will be rewarded by Allah (سبحانہ و تعا لی). And whoever indulges in any one of them (except the ascription of partners to Allah - سبحانہ و تعا لی) and gets the punishment in this world, that punishment will be an expiation for that sin. And if one indulges in any of them, and Allah(سبحانہ و تعا لی)conceals his sin, it is up to Him to forgive or punish him (in the Hereafter)." 'Ubada bin As-Samit (رضئ اللہ تعالی عنہ)added: "So we swore allegiance for these." (points to Allah's Apostle - صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم) (Bukhari, Book 2, Hadith 17)

2. Narated Auf Ibn Malik Ashja'ee (رضئ اللہ تعالی عنہ): 'We were with Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم) seven, eight or nine (of us), when he said: Will you not make bay'a (pledge) to the Apostle of Allah (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم)?' We stretched our hands and inquired: On what shall we make bay'a to you, O'Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم)? He said 'That you make Ibadah of Allah (سبحانہ و تعا لی),- that you associate nothing with Him,- that you perform the five (time) Salah; that you hear and obey." (Muslim, Abu Dawud and Nasai).

The above hadith clearly show that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) took bayah from the Sahaba with regards to obeying the laws of Islam. The same kind of pledge is made to the Sheikh where the person makes a pledge to Allah to try ones utmost to obey the commands of Allah with the help, knowledge, expertise and wisdom of the pious teacher. Allah commands us in the Qur'an to refer to those who know. Those who know are the scholars and the learned. The Qur'an and Sunnah also emphasise that we sit with the learned and pious.

No matter how harmless, or how good, or how beneficial an action may seem to us, we need to be very careful before deeming it acceptable or praiseworthy or recommending it to others. Unfortunately nowadays, such matters can sometimes be taken lightly.
We should also be very careful not to disregard that which has its roots and foundations firmly within the Qur'an and Sunnah as the Madhabs do. Were madhabs around at the time of the Prophet? If not then why do we follow Madhabs? Is it not an innovation after the Prophet? Surely we should be careful about acting upon that which was not created at the time of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) ?

Problems of the heart are not a new thing. But the way of dealing with them, is. The biggest and best cure for diseases of the heart, is the Qur'an, which is a healing for what is in the hearts of men:

"O mankind! there hath come to you a direction from your Lord and a healing for the (diseases) in your hearts,- and for those who believe, a guidance and a Mercy." (10:57)

"And We send down of the Qur'an that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase the wrongdoers except in loss." (17:85)
Exactly and that is the cure and medicine used by the doctors of the heart to cure ailments and diseases of the heart just like how doctors of medicine use medicine to cure their patients ailments/diseases etc.

If we were to use your logic then anyone with a problem, issue or who is in need of help and advice should be shown those verses and left to it. That way all will be cured. Then there would be no need for counsellors, psyhcologists and psychiatrists. Just show anyone with depression, anxiety and a whole host of diseases and ailments of the heart those verses and all will be cured without any other intervention. It is definately not as simple as how you put it or how you are trying to imply.

If that was the case then there would be no need of scholars as we can just refer to the Qur'an and Sunnah ourselves to find the solution to whatever problem we have. Everyone is different and some need more practical help than others. Some need far more guidance than others. The ailments of the heart are also far more deeper and more complex than you are implying as is finding ways to cure such ailments and diseases.

Your statement about the heart clearly shows your lack of understanding of what Tasawwuf is really about. My best advice to you would be to look it up and research it properly for yourself rather than referring to certain rigid opinions that only aim to create ignorance and further misconceptions about such a topic rather than inform others about what it is really about.

Indeed the people who enter jannah, any rancour will be removed from their hearts. That shows us, that we are not expected to have the most perfect heart to succeed, for if we were, there would have been no need for Allah to make that statement. But we make du3a, and effort:

"And those who came after them say: "Our Lord! Forgive us, and our brethren who came before us into the Faith, and leave not, in our hearts, rancour (or sense of injury) against those who have believed. Our Lord! Thou art indeed Full of Kindness, Most Merciful." (59:10)

"And We remove whatever rancour may be in their hearts. Rivers flow beneath them. And they say: All praise be to Allah, Who has guided us to this. We could not truly have been led aright if Allah had not guided us." (7:43)
Who said anything about us needing to have perfect hearts to succeed? None of us will ever be perfect. Allah does not expect perfection nor does he want us to be perfect and nor did he create us to be perfect. If we were perfect then we would never need to repent and Allah created us to err so that we may repent sincerely unto him and beg of him for forgiveness. Allah prefers a person who's sins make him feel bad than who's good deeds make him feel good.

If spiritual doctors were needed, the Prophet :saws: would be the first to appoint them, and the sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them) would have been amongst the foremost and best of them. But this wasn't a part of the Islam that they left for us.
If madhabs were needed then the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would have been the first to have have appointed madhabs. But why did he not do so? It wasnt a part of Islam that they left for us. Please explain...

It is the shahaadah, the first pillar of Islam, and our testimony of faith, which encapsulates these things. Nothing else.
It is for the purpose of obeying the commands of Allah and achieving taqwa and closeness to Allah which encapsulates the purpose of Tassawuf and taking bayah. Nothing else.

And Allah knows best.
And Allah always knows what is best in all matters

Insaanah
10-27-2012, 07:44 PM

I'm not going to answer the post akh, not because I can't answer your questions or address the points made, but because I have no desire to get into prolonged debate or discussion - inevitably my answer will lead to another set of questions, and mistakes/gross misconceptions/gross errors/lack of understanding/ignorance etc pointed out in my posts, or assumptions made about my beliefs, which will require another response/clarification.

I fear that continuing here will lead to ill-feeling and sides being taken, as can already be seen, and whoever had the last word or is more forceful being deemed to have "won" (even though this isn't a competition).

"Narrated Abu Umamah: The Prophet :saws: said: I guarantee a house in the surroundings of Paradise for a man who avoids quarrelling even if he were in the right..." (Part of a longer hasan hadeeth from Sunan Abi Dawud 4800).

Also, nobody should be under the assumption that those who do not partake in the practice, as they do not believe it a part of Islam as left by the Prophet :saws: and companions (may Allah be pleased with them), perhaps may not be experiencing the same sweetness of imaan, taqwa or intensity in their love for Allah.

May Allah forgive me if I said anything wrong, and He knows best in all matters.

جوري
10-27-2012, 08:15 PM
May Allah forgive me if I said anything wrong, and He knows best in all matters.

We've had generations upon generations of ignorant folks passing down their ignorance to other folks, so people would rather seek their knowledge from not even a secondary or tertiary source but a questionable one all together? People were giving baya to the messenger of Allah swt and those in leadership positions Everyone claims to be something and some of the worst things passed down have come to us ergo people who claimed to be knowledgeable.

I believe people should learn Arabic for starters that alone will teach them wisdom When picking up the noble book it will also teach them fiqh al'qawl wal'hadith.

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2012, 08:24 PM

I'm not going to answer the post akh, not because I can't answer your questions or address the points made, but because I have no desire to get into prolonged debate or discussion - inevitably my answer will lead to another set of questions, and mistakes/gross misconceptions/gross errors/lack of understanding/ignorance etc pointed out in my posts, or assumptions made about my beliefs, which will require another response/clarification.

I fear that continuing here will lead to ill-feeling and sides being taken, as can already be seen, and whoever had the last word or is more forceful being deemed to have "won" (even though this isn't a competition).

"Narrated Abu Umamah: The Prophet :saws: said: I guarantee a house in the surroundings of Paradise for a man who avoids quarrelling even if he were in the right..." (Part of a longer hasan hadeeth from Sunan Abi Dawud 4800).

Also, nobody should be under the assumption that those who do not partake in the practice, as they do not believe it a part of Islam as left by the Prophet :saws: and companions (may Allah be pleased with them), perhaps may not be experiencing the same sweetness of imaan, taqwa or intensity in their love for Allah.

Sister firstly no one has said that those who do not practice Tasawwuf do not feel the sweetness of imaan. This statement was only made by yourself and is irrelevant to the discussion.

Secondly if you are going to partake in such a discussion and make certain statements then you should expect such statements to be scrutinised and even refuted. The truth should always be upheld no matter what. No one should stand back and watch that which has its firm roots in the Qur'an and Sunnah be discredited.

There is NOTHING but the Qur'an and Sunnah in the practice of Tasawwuf just like there is NOTHING but Qur'an and Sunnah in the methodology of the Madhabs.

So i say to you again for your own knowledge at least for you to look more deeper into Tasawwuf and there is no doubt that your misconceptions on these matters will be clarified.

I have no ill feelings at all as what binds us together is the Qur'an and Sunnah and the rope of Islam for we are all one body and brotherhood.

May Allah always guide us to the Truth in all matters. Ameen

جوري
10-27-2012, 08:34 PM
at any rate since it seems exceedingly difficult for folks to employ reason without all the ugliness that unfolds in the posts. Let's quote respected scholars from IslamQA:

Is the “Da’wah and Tableegh” group one of the misguided groups? And what about Sufism?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It is important for us to understand, firstly, that the words “Tasawwuf” and “Sufism” are modern terms which refer to something that is not automatically approved of in sharee’ah as the words eemaan (faith), Islam and ihsaan are. Neither is it automatically condemned like the words kufr, fusooq (immorality) and ‘asyaan (disobedience, sin).
In such cases, we need to find out more about what is meant by such words before we can pass comment. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The words al-faqr and al-tasawwuf (i.e., Sufism) may include some things that are loved by Allaah and His Messenger, and these are things that are enjoined even if they are called faqr or tasawwuf, because the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicate that they are mustahabb and that is not altered if they called by other names. That also includes actions of the heart such as repentance and patience. And it may include things that are hated by Allaah and His Messenger, such as some kinds of belief in incarnation and pantheism, or monasticism that has been innovated in Islam, or things that go against sharee’ah and have been innovated, and so on. These things are forbidden no matter what names they are given… And it may include limiting oneself to a certain style of clothing or certain customs, ways of speaking and behaving, in such a way that anyone who goes beyond it is regarded as an outsider, although this is not something that has been stipulated in the Qur’aan or Sunnah; rather it may be something that is permissible or it may be something that is makrooh, and this is a bid’ah that is forbidden. This is not the way of the friends of Allaah (awliya’ Allaah); such things are innovations and misguidance that exists among those who claim to follow the Sufi path. Similarly, among those who claim to be servants of knowledge there are innovations that involve beliefs and words that go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah, using phrases and terminology that have no basis in sharee’ah. Many such things happen among those people.
The wise believer agrees with all people in that in which they are in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah and obey Allaah and His Messenger, but he does not agree with that in which they go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah and disobey Allaah and His Messenger. He accepts from every group that which was taught by the Messenger… when a person seeks the truth and justice, based on knowledge, he is one of the successful friends of Allaah and His victorious party…
Al-Fataawa, 11/280-290.
But what Shaykh al-Islam said about the view of Sufis depending on their situation is almost too theoretical for our times, when the objectionable matters that he referred to have become part of the path of those who call themselves Sufis nowadays, in addition to the different occasions they celebrate such as the Mawlid, and their exaggeration about their living shaykhs, and their attachment to shrines and graves, where they pray and circumambulate the graves and make vows to them, and other well-known practices of theirs. Because of these matters, the correct approach now is to warn against them with no reservations. This is what was agreed upon by the Standing Committee in their answer to a question about the ruling on the Sufi tareeqahs that exist nowadays. They said:
Usually those that are called Sufis nowadays follow bid’ahs (innovations) that constitute shirk, as well as other kinds of bid’ah, such as when some of them say “Madad ya sayyid (Help, O Master)”, and call upon the qutubs (“holy men”), and recite dhikr in unison using names by Allaah has not called Himself, like saying “Huw, Huw (He, He)” and “Ah, Ah (a contraction of the word ‘Allaah’)”. Whoever reads their books will be aware of many of their innovations that constitute shirk, and other evils.
With regard to the Jamaa’at al-Tableegh, this is one of the groups that is active in the field of da’wah, calling people to Allaah. They do a great deal of good and make commendable efforts. How many sinners have repented at their hands, and how many have now become devoted to worship of Allaah. But this group is not free of some innovations in knowledge and action, to which the scholars have drawn attention. But whatever the case they cannot be described as being one of the misguided groups. We have quoted above the words of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah: The wise believer agrees with all people in that in which they are in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah and obey Allaah and His Messenger, but he does not agree with that in which they go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah. For more information on this group, see the answer to questions no. 8674 and 39349.

Islam Q&A

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2012, 08:55 PM
I think there needs to be a clear distinction between true Sufism and what some people attribute of Sufism that is nothing to do with it such as whirling dervishes, grave worship, over veneratikon of saints, Mawlid etc. True Sufism rejects such practises and ONLY implements that which is purely based upon the Qur'an and Sunnah. Many people fail to make such a distinction because of a lack of knowledge about what true Sufism is really about.

Since Ibn Taymiyaah has been mentioned then let us see what his perspective is of Tasawwuf:

The great Hanbali Shaykh Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani was founder of the Qadiri Sufi tariqa. We find in a manuscript of another Hanbali scholar, Shaykh Yusuf ibn Abd al-Hadi (d. 909H), entitled Bad' al-'ula bi labs al-Khirqa and containing copies in Princeton, Sorbonne and Damascus, that Ibn Taymiyya is included among several other Hanbali scholars (including Ibn Qudama, Ibn Qayyim, and Ibn Rajab) within the Qadiri-Sufi spiritual genealogy.

Ibn Taymiyya: "I have worn the Sufi cloak of a number of shaykhs belonging to various tariqas (labistu khirqata at tasawwuf min turuqi jama'atin min al shuyukhi), among them the Shaykh Abd al-Qadir al Jili [Jilani], whose tariqa is the greatest of the well known ones. The greatest Sufi Way (ajall al-turuq) is that of my master (sayyidi) Abd al-Qadir al Jili, may Allah have mercy on him.”

[From a manuscript entitled al-Mas'ala at-Tabriziyya (Damascus, Zahiriyya, 1186 H), as well as being quoted in the aforementioned Hadi manuscript and another written by at-Talyani and kept in Dublin].

The Khirqa is equivalent to an ijaza from a Sufi shaykh. Representing the cloak of the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam), it is passed to a student whom the shaykh sees as fully qualified to pass on the instructions of the tariqa. He wrote a favorable commentary upon Shaykh Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani's Futuh al-Ghayb in his Majmu' Fatawa Ibn Taymiyya (Riyadh, first edition, vol. 10, pp. 455-548).

An example from another version:

"You have to know that the rightly-guided shaikhs must be taken as guides and examples in the Din, as they are following in the footsteps of the Prophets and Messengers. And the Way (tariqat) of those shaikhs is to call people to Allah's Divine Presence and obedience to the Prophet."

Here we find Ibn Taymiyya calling for people to take a guide and mentioning that each guide has his own method (tariqat) in calling people to the Sunna" (Majmu' Fatawa Ibn Taymiyya, Cairo: Dar ar-Rahmat, Kitab at-Tasawwuf, Vol. 11, p. 497).

"And the shaikhs whom we need to take as guides are our examples that we have to follow, as when on the Hajj, one needs a guide to reach the Ka'aba, these shaikhs are our guide to Allah and our Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him" (ibid., p. 499).

Elsewhere in Majmu' Fatawa, Ibn Taymiyya speaks about the Sufi concept of Fana' (annihilation) most sympathetically and not condemning it as bid'a like many who claim to follow him. Here is a notable example:

"This state of love is the state of many people that are from the people of Love to Allah 'azza wa jall, they are the people of the love of Allah and the People of the Will (al-Irada) of Allah (it is typical of many of the people that love God and seek Him.) Because that person has vanished in his lover, in Allah 'azza wa jall--through the intensity of the love, because He vanished in Allah's love, not his own ego's love. And he will recall Allah, not recalling himself, remember Allah not remembering himself, visualizing Allah [yastashhid], not visualizing himself, existing in Allah, not in the existence of himself. When he reaches that stage, he no longer feels his own existence.

"And that is why he says in this state, 'Ana al-Haqq' (I am the Truth), or 'Subhanee' (Glory to Me!) and he will say 'maa fil jubba ill-Allah' (there is nothing in this cloak except Allah), because he is drunk in the love of God and this is a pleasure and happiness that he cannot control.

"This [matter] has in it Haqq and there is in it Batil. But when someone will enter a state with his fervor intense love ('ishq) to Allah, he will enter a state of absentmindedness, and when he enters the state of absentmindedness, he will find himself as if he is accepting the [concept] ittihad. I do not consider this a sin. Because that person is excused and no one may punish him as he is not aware of what he is doing. Because the pen does not condemn the crazy except when he is restored to sanity. And when that person is in that state and he was wrong in what he did, he will be under Allah's address:

"'O Our Lord, do not take us to task if we forget or make mistakes' (Baqara, 286).

"And Allah says in another verse, 'There is no blame on you if you unintentionally do a mistake'" (ibid., vol. 2, pp. 396-397).

Ibn Qayyim says on the topic:

“Religion consists entirely of good character (al-dinu kulluhu khuluq). Whoever surpasses you in good character surpasses you in religion, and the same is true of tasawwuf. As Al-Kattani said: 'Tasawwuf is good character (al-tasawwuf khuluq). Whoever surpasses you in good character surpasses you in tasawwuf'" (Madarij al-salikin, vol. 2, p. 307).

Muhammad Ibn `Abd al-Wahhab says on the topic:

“The adherents of religion are as follows: among them are those who concern themselves with learning and fiqh, and discourse about it, such as the jurists; and among them are those who concern themselves with worship and the pursuit of the Hereafter, such as the Sufis. Allah has sent His Prophet with this religion which encompasses both kinds, that is: fiqh and tasawwuf.” (volume 3 of his complete works published by Ibn Sa`ud University, on page 31 of the Fatawa wa rasa'il, Fifth Question).

"My father Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab and I do not deny or criticize the science of Sufism, but on the contrary we support it, because it purifies the external and the internal of the hidden sins, which are related to the heart and to the outward form. Even though the individual might externally be on the right way, internally he might be on the wrong way. Sufism is necessary to correct it." (ad-Dia'at mukathaffa did ash-shaykh ibn Abdul Wahhab, p. 85).

May Allah lead all to the truth. Ameen

~Zaria~
10-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

Question

Mufti saheb & all ulama of darul iftaa, may allah grant you all great reward for your services & long life with excellent health so you all can continue all this good work. i have two questions.
Q1. I fully understand the concept of a sheikh and i have no proboem with it. It is just that i have many people who are mureeds and they insist on me becoming a mureed of someone. And they tell me that if i donnot have a sheikh then shaythaan will be my sheikh and lead me the wrong way, Is this true?
As i have very strong faith in allah and i have trust in all our authenthic ulema but i donnot have the desire to become mureed of any one. My faith is in Quran, Hadeeth, Zikr and all ulema that comply. will this belief be ok???

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

From the outset, it is essential to understand two issues:

1) The need for Spiritual reform.

2) Taking the Bay’at, the pledge of allegiance.

1) THE NEED FOR SPIRITUAL REFORM

Apart from the Ambiyaa alayhimus salam, the Sahabah radi allahu anhum were those individuals who attained the highest form of excellence in all aspects of Din. They were embodiments of virtue and piety, imbued with perfection in the matters of Din relating to both, the external and internal self. Their sincere commitment and sacrifice for Din was unparalleled. They were the torchbearers of Islam, who spread the light of Din and impressed it on others by mere character and honest practice. Their actions really spoke ‘louder than words!’ However, the question to be asked, what was the secret and backbone leading to this unmatched excellence and effect of theirs? We too are Muslims; does our practice also impress others and reflect the great cause of Islam which we proudly represent?

Nevertheless, all these achievements were primarily due to them been in the auspicious company of the most supreme of mankind, in the company of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam). Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam) was their mentor, tutor and guide in every aspect of their lives. They accompanied him at all times, whether in the city of Makkah Mukarramah and Madinah Munawwarh or out on journeys, studying his lifestyle, fervently serving him and most importantly, implementing his priceless teachings. Their fervor for Din knew no bounds and resulted in them progressing and mastering the various sciences of Din, i.e. the branches of Hadith, Fiqh, Tafsir, Qira’ah, etc.

However, a very interesting point to note here is that, though the Sahabah radi allahu anhum were experts in the various aspects of Din, we do not know them by such terms. We do not refer to them as Hafiz so and so, Qari so and so, Mufti so and so, etc. rather, we merely suffice on the word “Sahabi or Sahabah” (the companion/s of Rasulullah Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam). When referring to them; don’t we usually say, “Abu Bakr radi allahu anhum, the Sahabi of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam), Uthman radi allahu anhum, the Sahabi of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam), etc.? The reason for adopting this form of reference is because suhbah (companionship of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam), was the highest form of achievement featuring in their lives. To accompany a saintly person is undoubtedly beneficial, imagine accompanying Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam), the greatest personality of mankind? Therefore, there was so to say, no better quality in portraying their superior caliber other than terming them “Sahabah”radi allahu anhum.

Furthermore, the term, “Sahabah”, would later serve as a lesson and reminder for the forthcoming generations that, “Should you, the Ummatis of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam), also desire to become like the Sahabahradi allahu anhum, then tread this path of ‘Suhbah’, companionship!”

N.B: ‘Suhbah’ refers to the concept of accompanying a pious or scholarly personality. In latter days it became a more popularly used term to refer to accompanying and, communicating ones spiritual difficulties and ailments, to a Sheikh, a pious person, for the sake of reform. This method of reform became the common and established practice of people in the latter eras.[1]

It was this suhbah which transformed the lives of Sahabah radi allahu anhum to becoming the foundation and unshaken pillars of Islam. In fact, this was what kindled and supplemented their remarkable concern (fikr), love and sacrifice for Islam; characteristics which are the core and essence of Islam and hallmark evident in their lives!

Moving on… Experiencing and cherishing the remarkable benefit acquired through the company of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam), his advices, etc., once Nabi (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam) had passed away, the Sahabah radi allahu anhum immediately renewed their submission and obedience on the hands of Sayyiduna Abu Bakr radi allahu anhum, thereafter on the hands of Sayyiduna Umar radi allahu anhum, and so on. This was done through the Bay’at (pledge of allegiance). The Bay’at was not to merely facilitate the management and smooth running of the Muslim empire. Instead, it was an allegiance to serve him, obey his instructions and also for internal purification[2]; hence, compounding the spiritual gain they were once receiving from Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam).

N.B: Self Reformation, internal purification, and other similar terms, basically refer to the effort of ridding oneself of evil qualities such as, jealousy, hatred, self centeredness, etc. whilst persevering to inculcate praiseworthy qualities like, generosity, compassion, humility, etc. The easiest technique of doing so is by inculcating an intense and burning feeling of love for Allah Ta’ala which will naturally make the saalik (it refers to the individual who applies himself in this path of suhbah) accomplish his goal in an extremely short span of time.

This practice of suhbah then became the common feature in the lives of the people, especially the religious divines coming thereafter despite their immense academic expertise. It became a deep-rooted trend and technique of acquiring spiritual benefit. The personality whom one corresponds with and communicates his spiritual difficulties is termed as Sheikh; mashaikh being the plural form, translated as mentor or guide in English.

We will enlist the names of a few great Ulama and personalities, right up till this day and age, who also adopted suhbah as a means of spiritual advancement. These names will provide ample testimony and only overwhelm one to the credibility and benefit one attains in this path:

HEREUNDER FOLLOW THE NAMES OF A FEW FORMER AND LATTER DAY ULAMA

1) Thabit Al-Bunani rehmatullah alayh, accompanied Sayyiduna Anas radi allahu anhum for 40yrs.

2) The famous Imam Muslim rehmatullah alayh, accompanied Imam Bukhari rehmatullah alayh for 6yrs.

3) Imam Al-Qa’nabi rehmatullah alayh, accompanied Imam Malik rehmatullah alayh for 30yrs.

4) Hajee Imdadullah Muhajir Makki rehmatullah alayh.

5) Hazrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi rehmatullah alayh.

6) Hazrat Maulana Rashid Ahmed Gangohi rehmatullah alayh.

7) Hazrat Maulana Qasim Nanotwi rehmatullah alayh, founder of Darul Uloom Deoband

8) Hazrat Maulana Khalil Ahmed Saharanpuri rehmatullah alayh

9) Hazrat Sheikh, Maulana Muhammad Zakariyya Kandelvi rehmatullah alayh.

10) Hazrat Mufti Mahmudul Hasan Gangohi rehmatullah alayh.

HEREUNDER FOLLOW THE NAMES OF A FEW PRESENT DAY ULAMA

1) Hazrat Maulana Yunus Patel Saheb, Khalifah of Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakim Muhammad Akhtar Saheb.

2) Hazrat Maulana Abdul Hamid Ishaq Saheb, Khalifah of Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakim Muhammad Akhtar Saheb.

3) Hazrat Mufti Ebrahim Salejee Saheb, Khalifah of Hazrat Mufti Mahmudul Hasan Gangohi Saheb rehmatullah alayh.

4) Hazrat Maulana Ebrahim Pandor Saheb, Khalifah of Hazrat

5) Hazrat Maulana Zul Fiqar Ahmed Naqshbandi Saheb, Khalifah of Hazrat Maulana Gulam Habib Saheb rehmatullah alayh.

[A Note from the Answerer: Our Respected Ustad, Hazrat Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb is also deeply linked with this field and is the senior Khalifah of Hazrat Mufti Mahmudul Hasan Gangohi Saheb rehmatullah alayh.]

Along with these names, there are numerous other Ulama, speaking for South Africa alone, who have adopted this line and have such relationship with Mashaikh. This selection and preference of theirs is motivated solely by their sound and deep-rooted knowledge and understanding of the Shariah.

A point to note here is that, many of whom were mentioned above had both, a student-teacher based relationship, as well as one of gaining spiritual purification.

Hence, if Ulama and high ranking personalities such as the above felt the need to adopt suhbah for their reform, one can well imagine the more intense urgency for uneducated spiritually ailing individuals like us, to apply ourselves in the field of suhbah! Adopting these means will also, to a great extent enhance ones sincerity in all matters. At times a person does make taubah (seek repentance) however, with the benevolence of Allah Ta’ala and the blessing of a true pious Sheikh, a person will now be endowed with the quality of steadfastness and loyalty in remaining true to this taubah (trying his best to abstain from the sin).

In fact, consider this motivating and captivating statement of the Honourable, Sheikh Abdul Fattah Abu Ghuddah rehmatullah alayh, a great Syrian scholar of the past century.[3] While commenting on the phenomenal affect which over came the Sahabah radi allahu anhum, the Sheikh states that a similar affect exists today by virtue of even merely glancing at a pious person; the Sheikh comments:

“… Even if someone from the latter eras (meaning, those who did not see people in the likes of the Sahabah radi allahu anhum, etc.) sees a pious and virtuous Aalim, this gaze at the Aalim even though it be for a few seconds, will serve as spiritual nutrition the affect of which will be felt for one’s entire life. The mere glance will now propel him to acts of virtue and obedience whenever he cherishes and thinks of this moment.”[4]

(Risalatul Mustarshidin – pg.19, Darus Salam)

Conclusively, understand that the quest for spiritual reform is a Fardh, an incumbent duty upon every individual. A very easy and accepted practice of doing so is adopting the path of Suhbah. Also, whilst an earnest attempt is made to elaborate on the immense benefit one may achieve in the path of suhbah, and that a great amount of latter day people adopt suhbah for spiritual reform, we in no way wish to sideline and degrade the benefit one may achieve from the other commonly practiced efforts of Din.

2) TAKING THE BAY’AT, THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

Mufti Muhammad Shafi rehmatullah alayh, the author of the tafsir entitled ‘Ma’ariful Quran’ states:

“Bay’at means to, take a promise for performing some special deed. Its customary method according to the Sunnah of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam) is to place the hands of both persons one on top of the other.”

In the event where this Bay’at is taken, the disciple gives an assurance that he will act upon the advices and instructions of his Sheikh.

As for the status that bay’at holds in the Shariah: It is essentially important to know that bay’at is indeed a sunnah of Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam) but in no way a wajib (obligation). (Though it is extremely meritorious to enter into a bay’at) it is neither sinful to leave it out.[5] Reformation, which is the actual aim and purpose of accompanying and communicating with a Sheikh, may be achieved without even taking the Bay’at. Bay’at is not a requirement for reformation. However, becoming a disciple (mureed) of a sheikh in the customary manner also has its advantages; one of which is that the spiritual teacher pays more attention to his disciple, and in turn, the disciple takes special care in obeying his spiritual teacher.

Nevertheless, once reading the above and realising the importance of adopting a Sheikh, let us now focus on your queries:

A) You mention regarding the insistence of your friends:

Well! Understand it in this light; it is only normal and in fact courteous, that once a person witnesses the benefit of a particular commodity, venture, etc. he wishes others to reap the same. In a similar way, the insistence of your friends should be viewed in the same light. They have realized and achieved great benefit in the line of suhbah (for spiritual purification), and expressing the sentiments of a true Muslim, also desire that you receive the same benefit. In fact, this is a very good sign for Allah’s Rasul (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam) has stated:

“No person can become a true believer until he likes for his fellow Muslim that which he likes for himself.”[6]

(Ibn Majah p.8; Qadimi)

Yes, at the same token, it is extremely important that the attitude and approach of your friends be in correct measure. They should encourage you with much tact and wisdom, explaining the benefits they have achieved, in a kind gentle manner. Never should they adopt a contemptuous harsh, mean and ‘better than thou’ attitude. Islam encourages the spreading of good and at the same time teaches us the art of accomplishing the same.

B) As for Shaytan becoming your Sheikh:

Remember! Just as how a student acquires his knowledge from a qualified teacher, so too is the case with developing perfection in character, morals and spirituality, this should also be acquired under the tutorship of the Mashaikh, the experts in this field. Spiritual maladies such as pride, jealousy, etc. are at times easy to detect but the diagnosis will be in accordance to an individual. Sometimes, the malady is obscure and discrete. Only an expert in this field can detect it. In such instances, if one eventually does identify a malady, he may adopt the incorrect therapy. There are numerous incidents mentioned of this sort, where the diagnosis and treatment was incorrect. At times, this even proved fatal. There is an Arabic proverb to encapsulate and illustrate this point, it says:

رَأْىُ الْعَلِيْلِ عَلِيْلُ

The spiritual diagnosis of a spiritually ill person is also diseased and ailing.

One should therefore submit to a pious personality, continuously adopt his company, communicate ones spiritual difficulties and adhere strictly to his diagnosis. If you hold fast to the above ‘formula’, Allah Ta’ala will soon bless your endevours, Inshallah. Allah Ta’ala has affirmed this promise of His by stating:

وَالَّذِيْنَ جَاهَدُوا فِيْنَا لَنَهْدِيَنَّهُمْ سُبُلَنَا

We will most definitely open up our avenues of insight and guidance (hidayat) for those who exert themselves in our cause.[7]

C) As for averring to have ‘very strong faith in Allah’; Remember! Though it is laudable to express gratitude to Allah Ta’ala for endowing one with the great wealth of Iman, at the same time, it is totally inappropriate for a Muslim to brazenly claim strong belief in Allah Ta’ala. Nabi (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam) has constantly exhorted a Muslim to have concern and fear of his Iman. Nabi (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam) has stated in a hadith:

“A Muslims (concern and fear of his Iman is such that) he considers his sins to be like a mountain near which he is stands fearing the mountain falling onto him (destroying him, i.e. his sins are burdensome to him like the weight of a mountain). On the other hand, a sinful Muslim (is so unaffected by his sins that) he considers it to be like a fly which sits on his nose (the seriousness of sin and disobeying Allah Ta’ala has as yet not dawned upon him).”[8]

(Sunan Tirmizi # 2497; Maktabuth Thaqafiyyah, Beirut)

I.e. he never has the ‘guts’ to profess having strong faith for at the same time, he is a perpetrator of many sins too. Islam advocates moderation; so be grateful for your faith, make an earnest attempt to strengthen it and, at the same time fear over your sins!

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Zeyad Danka,
Student Dārul Iftā

Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Dārul Iftā, Madrasah In῾āmiyyah

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/18534

There is enough evidence and agreement from respected ulama on the subject of taking bayáh.

If some still do not agree to the above and other advices provided in this thread (for whatever reason), this is fine.
This is your choice and it does not remove you from the fold of Islam.

Lets respect each others points of view on this.

At the end of the day, our only desire should be attaining closeness to Allah and the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam).

(Ps. having problems opening page 2 of this thread ; ( )

جوري
10-27-2012, 09:04 PM
I think there needs to be a clear distinction between true Sufism and what some people attribute of Sufism that is nothing to do with it such as whirling dervishes, grave worship, over veneratikon of saints, Mawlid etc. True Sufism rejects such practises and ONLY implements that which is purely based upon the Qur'an and Sunnah. Many people fail to make such a distinction because of a lack of knowledge about what true Sufism is really about.
I think everything is summed in this statement perfectly:

format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The words al-faqr and al-tasawwuf (i.e., Sufism) may include some things that are loved by Allaah and His Messenger, and these are things that are enjoined even if they are called faqr or tasawwuf, because the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicate that they are mustahabb and that is not altered if they called by other names. That also includes actions of the heart such as repentance and patience. And it may include things that are hated by Allaah and His Messenger, such as some kinds of belief in incarnation and pantheism, or monasticism that has been innovated in Islam, or things that go against sharee’ah and have been innovated, and so on. These things are forbidden no matter what names they are given… And it may include limiting oneself to a certain style of clothing or certain customs, ways of speaking and behaving, in such a way that anyone who goes beyond it is regarded as an outsider, although this is not something that has been stipulated in the Qur’aan or Sunnah; rather it may be something that is permissible or it may be something that is makrooh, and this is a bid’ah that is forbidden. This is not the way of the friends of Allaah (awliya’ Allaah); such things are innovations and misguidance that exists among those who claim to follow the Sufi path. Similarly, among those who claim to be servants of knowledge there are innovations that involve beliefs and words that go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah, using phrases and terminology that have no basis in sharee’ah. Many such things happen among those people.
If it is a package deal and it so often is as I am personally yet to encounter one sufi or matsawif that doesn't have the peculiar practice then yeah it is an innovation and it is clear that what doesn't confirm to Quran or Sunnah is an innovation. There's a difference between ijtihad and innovation. And the prophet PBUH didn't come with the message of 'Sufism'
People don't attribute them to Sufis, sufis practice them and thus others conclude so of them. 'Others' in this case are respected scholars of Islam not people from the forum!

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Let us see what the most knowledgable men of this Ummah the four Imaams of jurispudence have said regarding Tasawwuf:

Imam Malik:

"He who practices Tasawwuf without learning Sacred Law corrupts his faith, while he who learns Sacred Law without practicing Tasawwuf corrupts himself. Only he who combines the two proves true."

It is related by the muhaddith Ahmad Zarruq (d. 899)[Ahmad Zarruq, Qawa`id al-tasawwuf (Cairo, 1310)], and the hafiz `Ali al-Qari al-Harawi (d. 1014)[ Ali al-Qari, Sharh `ayn al-`ilm wa-zayn al-hilm (Cairo: Maktabat al-Thaqafa al-Diniyya, 1989) 1:33], the muhaddiths `Ali ibn Ahmad al `Adawi (d. 1190)[ Ali al `Adawi, Hashiyat al `Adawi `ala sharh Abi al Hasan li risalat Ibn Abi Zayd al musammat kifayat al talib al rabbani li risalat Ibn Abi Zayd al Qayrawani fi madhhab Maalik (Beirut: Dar Ihya' al Kutub al `Arabiyah, <n.d.>) 2:195] and Ibn `Ajiba (d. 1224)[Ibn `Ajiba, Iqaz al himam fi sharh al hikam (Cairo: Halabi, 1392/1972) p. 5 6.].

Imam al-Shafi`i:

Imam Shafi’i said: "[Be both] a faqih and a sufi[sufiyyan ]: do not be only one of them, Verily, by Allah's truth, I am advising you sincerely." (al-Shafi`i in his own book: Diwan, p. 47 see also: Diwan p. 66 where Imam Shafi'i gives the advise to be both a faqih and sufi).

Imam Shafi`i said: “Three things in this world have been made lovely to me: avoiding affectation, treating people kindly, and following the way of tasawwuf.” (The muhaddith al-`Ajluni also relates that in Kashf al-khafa wa muzil al-albas (1:341 #1089).

Imam al-Shafi`i said: “I accompanied the Sufis and received from them but three words: their statement that time is a sword: if you do not cut it, it cuts you; their statement that if you do not keep your ego busy with truth it will keep you busy with falsehood; their statement that deprivation is immunity.” (Ibn al-Qayyim in his Madarij al-salikin (3:128) and al- Suyuti in his Ta'yid al-haqiqa al-`aliyya (p. 15)).

Imam Abu Hanifah:

Ibn `Abidin relates in his al Durr al mukhtar that Imam Abu Hanifa said: "If it were not for two years, I would have perished."

Ibn `Abidin comments: “For two years he accompanied Sayyidina Ja`far al-Sadiq and he acquired the spiritual knowledge that made him a gnostic in the Way... Abu `Ali Daqqaq (Imam Qushayri's shaykh) received the path from Abu al-Qasim al-Nasirabadi, who received it from al Shibli, who received it from Sari al-Saqati who received it from al Ma`ruf al Karkhi, who received it from Dawud at Ta'i, who received the knowledge, both the external and the internal, from the Imam Abi Hanifa.” (Ibn `Abidin, Hashiyat radd al-muhtar `ala al-durr al-mukhtar 1:43).

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal:

Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Saffarini al-Hanbali (d. 1188) relates in his Ghidha' al-albab li-sharh manzumat al-adab from Ibrahim ibn `Abd Allah al-Qalanasi that Imam Ahmad said about the Sufis: "I don't know people better than them." (al-Saffarini, Ghidha' al-albab li-sharh manzumat al-adab (Cairo: Matba`at al-Najah, 1324/1906) 1:120).

جوري
10-27-2012, 09:14 PM
There is enough evidence and agreement from respected ulama on the subject of taking bayáh.

There's enough evidence of whom theses bayas were given even from the posts you've provided, and it wasn't random folks who are deemed knowledgeable when they're far removed or even if not far removed.
I disagree with you saying
This is your choice and it does not remove you from the fold of Islam.
I rather think it is the other way around, as you'd have to be the one explaining your liege to someone who could potentially guide you incorrectly when in Islam we're clearly told:
Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "There is no obedience to the creation in disobedience to the Creator." [Ahmed and Haakim]
"Obedience is in what is right." [Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim]

and lastly I don't believe I am being disrespectful nor am I being a deviant, I am posting my understanding and quoting respected scholars. I am also nobody's keeper but I'll not see something I consider to questionable and sweep it aside. And Why should I?

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2012, 09:23 PM

I think everything is summed in this statement perfectly:

If it is a package deal and it so often is as I am personally yet to encounter one sufi or matsawif that doesn't have the peculiar practice then yeah it is an innovation and it is clear that what doesn't confirm to Quran or Sunnah is an innovation. There's a difference between ijtihad and innovation. And the prophet PBUH didn't come with the message of 'Sufism'
People don't attribute them to Sufis, sufis practice them and thus others conclude so of them. 'Others' in this case are respected scholars of Islam not people from the forum!

Just because you may have met some "peculiar" people who attributed themselves to Sufism then it does not mean that those people are of those who practise true Sufism. There are many people of all groups and including salafis who are not good examples of people in their group and do practises which do not conform to the Qur'an and Sunnah. There has to be a clear distinction and this is something many people fail to do and i do not blame them in a way because those who do dodgy practises are more louder than those who practise the truth. It maybe that you come across many people who did practise true sufism but you were just not aware of it.

Yes we should highlight the fact that there are many people of certain groups and methodologys who practise that which does not conform to the Qur'an and Sunnah and such practises are not confined to those who attribute themselves to Sufism, but we should also acknowledge that the true practise of Tasawwuf has its roots firmly in the Qur'an and Sunnah and as i have shown is clearly supported and even promoted by the four imaams and even Ibn Taymiyya and Ibn Al Qayyim as well as the greatest scholars of the past and present.

joyous fairy
10-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Salam...

I think it is clear that there are different opinions on the matter, with evidence from both sides. Some of us will be for giving bayah and some won't, lets leave it at that and speak/research the topic personally rather than going backwards and forwards. We can all find evidence for our own standpoint and post it here, however, I think enough has been posted about both sides.

جوري
10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
acknowledge that the true practise of Tasawwuf has its roots firmly in the Qur'an and Sunnah and as i have shown is clearly supported
The article I have quoted doesn't say different, why are we going over this ad nauseam?
Also it doesn't aggrieve me one way or the other but people should have their facts sorted, and in order to have their facts sorted they need to at least know the fundamentals of their religion so when something queer is introduced in one of those 'bayas' they can say you know what I want out, this doesn't suit me, it is nothing that was brought by the prophet nor practiced by him or the sahaba!
umoor ad'deen are a done deal. il3ibadat are DONE!
You're not gonna one day wake up and find maghrib 5 rakas and then decide well raka3as are an old practice found in Quran and Sunnah so what if I add two more make it a nice odd number!

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2012, 09:33 PM

This is just redundancy as you can see akhi and if you've read the entire post it can be summed up in the paragraph I quoted but I can contract it further even though everything loses value with more emphasis, it clearly sets a line of demarcation those traits that are loved by Allah and his prophet and not in contradiction of Quran and Sunnah can be practiced and those include certain things in tasswuf, those things in contradiction are an innovation. It isn't a pick and choose as far as I am concerned least of which when you give a 'baya' of obedience!

Sister we are both in agreement that any practise which does not conform to, comply with and contradict the Qur'an and Sunnah is to be rejected. True Tasawwuf if practised properly does not contradict the Qur'an and Sunnah in anyway but it perfectly finds its place and its roots firmly within the Qur'an and Sunnah as the four madhabs do. The Prophet did not teach the Madhabs nor did he teach Tasawwuf but both the are also found within the Qur'an and Sunnah. This is confirmed by the quotes from the four imaams of jurispudence as well as Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn Al Qayyim in my previous posts who not only emphasised te practises of Tasawwuf but promoted its benefits. The dodgy practises some people attribute to Tasawwuf have nothing to do with it just like neo salafis have nothing to do with salafism.

Hulk
10-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm sure no muslim would be against anyone wanting to seek knowledge and also be on a path to purify themselves so as to be able to practice Islam at the level of ihsan.

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2012, 09:51 PM
More from Ibn Taymiyyah on Tasawwuf:

The righteous Ulema and religious scholars have always acknowledged and affirmed the necessity of the true from of ‘Tasawwuf’. Some excerpts from the monumental Islamic jurisprudic encyclopaedia of the reputed scholar, Ibn Taimiyyah rahmatullahi alihi, regarding the positiveness and necessity of ‘Tasawwuf’. He says: “ Verily, Sulook (a synonym for Tazkiyah, Ihsaan or Tasawwuf) is the path ordained by Allah and His Messenger , which encompasses the beliefs, devotion, worship and ethics of a person. And all this is clarified in the Qur’an and the Sunnah. Therefore, it is the provision no true Mu’min can do without.” (Vol. 19 Pg. 273)

He also states: “In Sulook, there are some points debated by the Mashaikh, but there is abundant evidence in the Qur’aan and the Sunnah substantiating the stance adopted by the majority of the scholars, for the precepts of Sulook are of the same category as the Islamic doctrinal code, all elucidated and resolved in a crystal-clear fashion in both the divine sources of Islamic Theology.” (Vol. 19 Pg. 274)

We find him uttering these words in his discourses: “…And similarly, whosoever bases his devotion, worship, and actions, relevant both to his inner status and his outer execution of deeds, on the foundation of pure Faith and Sunnah, and on the path of the Prophet and his Companions radiallahu anhum, then without any doubt, he has achieved the pathway laid down by the Prophethood. And this is the very path the righteously guided scholars of Deen follow.”

In his enlightening speeches, he goes on to explain: “All the actions of heart and soul, called ‘Maqamat’ (levels of perfection) and ‘Ahwaal’ (states of illumination) - for example, the love for Allah and His Prophet , sincerity of intentions in His worship, ultimate trust unto Him, sense of total gratitude for Him, utmost patience and absolute contentment on His decree, the equivalent mélange of paramount fear of Him, unsurpassable anticipation of his all-embracing mercy and all other similar conditions that occur to a living human soul in regards to his Master and Creator – are in their entity, incumbent on all humankind, especially believers. Its attainment is compulsory upon the people according to their stages; in depth for the people of distinction and basically for the normal layman, for the hearts and souls of all humans are not the same in their capability to achieve perfection through the medium of these ‘Maqamat’ and ‘Ahwaal’.”

Sheikh Moulana Muhammad Manzoor Ahmed No’mani rahmatullahi alaihi quotes Sheikh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab rahmatullahi alaihi commenting on Tasawwuf in his book ‘Dia’ayat Mukaththafah dhidd Ash-Sheikh Muhammad…’(Pg. 85).

The Sheikh has said: “We do not condemn the path of the Sufiya outright. We only assert that the keyword should be moderation. We agree to their practice provided it does not contradict the basic elementary tenets of Shari’ah.”

Excerpt taken from: http://www.inter-islam.org/faith/Tswfdstd.html

IbnAbdulHakim
10-27-2012, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
yes they are humble enough to accept being challenged. You have the wrong idea of being the WaliUllaah and Mursheeds we speak of.
in what way is my idea wrong? and what is right per their regard?
that the ones who are truelly fit for guiding the strayed souls who are lost without them will never, ever deny being corrected.

infact my mursheed at the moment, everytime he speaks about hadith, speaks about Quran he asks the learned men aruond him "am I right here, have I remembered thsi correctly?" etc, even though EVERYONE knows taht Allah has blesed him with a knowledge that none around him can compare to, yeh he always asks, always tries, humbles himself.

Infact he was once riding in a bus in bangladesh, and in these busses it is overcrowded and there are a lot of elders (he himself if above 70) and he sat on the floor. Another man came on, not being able to see his face (as he is well known in bangaldesh) he put his feet on hsi shoulder. My mursheed covered his face from the stranger so that he doesnt feel awkward/embarassed about what he has done and he carried on throughout the long bus journey in thsi way.

this is how theya re, this is who we follow.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-27-2012, 10:04 PM
assalamu alaikum

That even someone in his esteem was challenged in a mosque. Are you able to do that to the people you learn from?
this is the reason I began speaking about my mursheed. I didnt intend to get personal but it also strengthens the point about bay'ah, helps people understand who it is we pledge to. Its not any tom dick or harry.

Sister, I would like to say thankyou, that you have been very patient with me. I did get emotional regarding the umar ibn al khattab comment and I apologise.

May Allah forgive me.

جوري
10-27-2012, 10:07 PM
this is the reason I began speaking about my mursheed. I didnt intend to get personal but it also strengthens the point about bay'ah, helps people understand who it is we pledge to. Its not any tom dick or harry.

Sister, I would like to say thankyou, that you have been very patient with me. I did get emotional regarding the umar ibn al khattab comment and I apologise.
There's nothing to apologize for. I really hope that your experience is enriching and that he does well by you, and I do hope if you reach more knowledge than his that you're indeed able to challenge him and not stand quiet in complete obedience!

جوري
10-27-2012, 10:33 PM
ok tell me sis. what has compelled you to think I will stand quiet in complete obedience?

tell me exactly what it is you thought of to say taht. there must be some experiences, something you read perhaps?

after everything I said, do you think the circumstances would be such?
It doesn't really matter what I think of what you choose to do nor am I casting judgement since I have no understanding of the nuances of what it is you do, my statements have been general on the concept itself and as relates to what I believe is a done deal in Islam per ibadat not per seeking knowledge. I have clarified my position and my views echo to the letter those in post # 41 including the two bottom links which should cover the long and short of my objections.
In the end I pray that Allah swt unites the hearts of this ummah on the true message of unadulterated monotheism/Islam and its fundamentals and not that which swerves to the left or right of it. for surely the devil is in those!
Islam is a complete package not just zuhd and not just Jihad but a complete way of life.

جوري
10-27-2012, 10:45 PM
To whom should ba’yah (allegiance) be given?
ar - en
Share |

Can you please clarify whether it is compulsory for every Muslim to take BAIT on some one's Hand as people did with The Prophet PBU and Khula Rashedeen.

Praise be to Allaah.
Bay’ah can only be given to the leader of the Muslims, and bay’ah is given by the decision makers – i.e., the scholars and people of virtue and status. Once they give their allegiance to him, his position of leadership is confirmed, and the common folk do not have to give allegiance to him themselves, rather they have to obey him so long as that does not entail disobedience towards Allaah.
Al-Maaziri said: With regard to bay’ah being given to the leader of the Muslims, it is sufficient for the decision makers to give him their bay’ah. It is not essential for each individual Muslim to come to him and put his hand in his, rather it is sufficient to commit oneself to obeying him and submitting to him by not going against him or rebel against him.
Quoted from Fath al-Baari. Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Sharh Saheeh Muslim: With regard to bay’ah (oath of allegiance): the scholars are agreed that in order for it to be valid it is not essential for all the people or all the decision makers to give their bay’ah. Rather, if bay’ah is given by those scholars and people of virtue and status who are present, that is sufficient. It is not obligatory for each person to come to the leader and put his hand in his and give his oath of allegiance to him. Rather what is required of each individual is to submit to him and not go against him or rebel against him. What is narrated in the ahaadeeth narrated in the books of Sunnah about bay’ah refers to giving allegiance to the Muslim leader, such as when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever dies and did not make an oath of allegiance (to the Muslim leader) has died a death of jaahiliyyah.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1851). And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever gives his oath of allegiance to a leader and gives him his hand and his heart, let him obey him as much as he can. If another one comes and disputes with him (for leadership), kill the second one.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1844) And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If allegiance is given to two khaleefahs, then kill the second of them.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1853). All of that undoubtedly has to do with giving allegiance to the Muslim leader. Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (may Allaah preserve him) said, answering a question about giving allegiance to the various groups: Bay’ah only has to do with the leader of the Muslims; these various bay’ahs are innovated and they are among the causes of division. The Muslims who are living in one country or one kingdom should have one allegiance to one leader; it is not permissible to have several kinds of bay’ah. al-Muntaqa min Fataawa al-Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan, 1/367
With regard to how the allegiance should be given to the leader, in the case of men it is done in word and in deed, namely with a handshake. In the case of women, it is done by word only. This is proven in the ahaadeeth which speak of how allegiance was given to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
For example, ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “No, by Allaah, the hand of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never touched the hand of any (non-mahram) woman. Rather he would accept their allegiance (bay’ah) in words only.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5288; Muslim, 1866) Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his Sharh (commentary): “This indicates that for women, allegiance is given in words only, without taking the hand of the leader, and for men it is done in words and by taking his hand.
And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Muhammad
10-28-2012, 02:53 AM
:salamext:

Perhaps it would have been better to close this thread some time ago, but thus was Allaah (swt)'s decree and I will close it now. Before I do so, I have read a number of comments in this thread which I feel deserve a response. It is quite clear that in the end we are going to have to agree to disagree, but to make it a balanced discussion then both sides should be presented, and this is an inadequate but final attempt in doing so.

1. Bay'ah
Reading this thread it is apparent that the term bay'ah has taken on different meanings and perhaps this is one of the reasons for confusion and disagreement here. Bay’ah has been said to mean an agreement to obey one's teacher, it has been said to be a pledge to Allaah (swt), and it has also been said to be a normal student-teacher relationship with emphasis on commitment. In some places it is being called a Sunnah and likened to pledges made at the time of the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) whilst in others it is being distanced from the kind of bay’ah made to a ruler. So to reach any kind of answer on this issue, we need to first be very clear on what exactly is meant by the word. Is the pledge simply cooperating in good and fearing Allaah (swt), or does it involve other, forbidden actions? This is especially important if we are going to attribute such a practice to the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam).

An important point to bear in mind is what bay’ah is likely to mean to the average Muslim. The problem is that it is easily linked with joining a particular Sufi group and practices like those in the video of the very first post. It is often referring to what certain groups introduced as an 'initiation ceremony' for a devotee to join their ranks and eventually climb up in their hierarchies - hence a kind of bay’ah which was not practised by the early Muslims. So we must be absolutely clear that this kind of bay’ah is not what is being encouraged. The fact that certain forms of bay’ah occurred at the time of the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) does not mean that anything termed a bay’ah today is automatically a Sunnah. And the significance of the practice of the Companions and those who followed them in this regard, as a way of understanding this issue more clearly, has already been highlighted earlier.

2. Sufism
It has already been clarified that Sufism is a broad term and may mean different things, so it is important to understand quotes regarding the promotion of tasawwuf as referring to that which is in accordance to the Qur’an and Sunnah. Unfortunately, many times the kind of sufism that is encouraged is not the correct one, hence we must exercise caution in our approach toward Sufi sects:

format_quote Originally Posted by Yasir Qadhi
To summarize, there are in the present day and age no organized Sufi tariqahs that are error-free. The least problem that one finds in all of them, without exception, are innovations in their acts of worship. Such Sufis, whilst mistaken in these innovations, are in a completely different category than those who ascribe to their 'awliya' powers of rububiyyah or even attributes of Allah (such as knowing everything, hearing the calls of their murids, etc.). And these Sufis are (slightly) better than those who actually ask their 'saints' for supernatural help, shafa'ah, Jannah, etc.
There is no doubt that the conditions and practices of most Sufis today are known to contradict the Sunnah and are based on religious innovations that were not known at the time of the Prophet , or at the time of his Companions.
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...atwaId&Id=7230

Hence, we advise you not to follow any Sufi sect, keep away from them and offer advice to any of them you know. Giving advice to others with whole-hearted concern is the core of religion. You should also seek knowledge of Sharee'ah at the hands of scholars who are known for their trustworthiness in creed and action in order to worship Allaah The Almighty with knowledge and insight, far removed from Shirk and religious innovations.
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=27699

Also, Sufis adopt deviated beliefs such as pantheism and incarnation and allege that they are the people of truth and esoteric knowledge, while others are the people of Sharee‘ah rules, overt knowledge, and the like.

Moreover, they commit many religious innovations which contradict the guidance of the Prophet , and even insist on them. They depend on inauthentic and fabricated Hadeeths and excessively depend on visions and dreams, even establishing religious rulings on the basis of them, which is something that contradicts the consensus of all scholars who have stated that it is impermissible to establish any religious ruling on their basis.

Generally, it is impermissible for any Muslim to follow a Sufi group. Rather Muslims should stay away from them and warn others against their dangers.
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...atwaId&Id=8500

There has also been mention of Ibn Taymiyyah and his stance on Sufism, so I hope the following will help to shed further clarification on this:

format_quote Originally Posted by Yasir Qadhi
Regarding Ibn Taymiyyah's relationship with 'Sufism', really it all depends on how one wishes to define this rather ambiguous term. If Sufism is purely about tazkiyah an-nafs, then who amongst the Muslims does not wish to purify his soul? But the reality is that the group which identifies itself with these words also manifests mistakes in a number of areas, and Ibn Taymiyyah was a very vocal critique of all of these mistakes.

So, for example, he was against:
- group dhikrs
- Sufi awrad which each and every tariqah, without exception, is guilty of
- the unconditional veneration of saints
- traveling to visit the grave of any saint or prophet
- believing that the Quran has a 'batin' (hidden) meaning that has nothing to do with its epxlicit meaning, and which Allah blesses His chosen servants with
- believing that the Sunnah of the Prophet salla Allah alahyi wa sallam is somehow insufficient for worship and hence extra acts need to be added on to the relgion (such as the Mawlid)
- looking down upon studious scholarship with the presumption that real knowledge is not gained through rigourous study but rather thru khalwa
- taking one's beliefs and acts from sources such as dhawq, kashf, and ilhaam (all Sufi terminoligies)
- believing in the existence of a hiearchy of 'saints' awliya, qutb, ghawth, etc (again a belief each and every Sufi tariqah is guilty of)
- believing that it is necessary for a person to become a 'murid' and have a 'shaykh' whom he must unconditionally obey or give bay'ah to
etc.

Yes, he does praise some people who are labelled Sufis, such as Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani, but he always points out that there is nothing in their writings that justify shirk or bid'ah; rather they were pious poeple and scholars and there is nothing at all about them or their works which makes them any more or less Sufi than other great scholars.

Ibn Taymiyyah also does not categorically label all Sufis as this or that, simply because the term encompasses a broad group of people and beliefs. Many of the early 'Sufis' were merely ascetics and worshippers - they believed nothing wrong per se but went to extremes in abandoning this world. Early scholars disapproved of this as it went against the Sunnah. However, later more radical beliefs crept in, such as wahdat al-wujud (manifested in people such as al-Hallaj, Ibn Arabi and Ibn Sabi'an), and these poeple Ibn Taymiyyah considered non-Muslims. And in between these two extremes are hundreds of shades of grey, and to each Ibn Taymiyyah gave what they deserved.

In one passage, he states taht the early Sufis were sincere people who went to extremes in their worship of Allah, and they had an ijtihad in this matter, '...but the correct opinion is that the Muslim needs to know that the best speach is the speech of Allah, and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad, and the best generation is the generation of the Companions, and the best path and way to Allah is that what he was upon and his companions.' (Majmu, 11/3)

I strongly advise the brothers to read his book al-Furqan, or 'the Criterion between the awliya of al-Rahman and the awliya of Shatan', which is meant as a refutation of the extreme Sufis. Also in volume 11 of Majmu fatawa there are many fatwas of his which clarifies his stance on this issue.

Ibn Taymiyah did not belong to a Sufi order

Question

I have come accross some disturbing articles on the Internet about Ibn Taymiyya. It says that his life was misrepresented by some people. They say that in some of his books, he apparently defends the Sufis and attributes himself to the Qâdiriyyah Sufi order. Could you please shed some light on to this matter?

Answered by

Sheikh Rashîd al-Hasan, professor at King Khâlid University

Ibn Taymiyah was not a member of the Qâdiriyyah. He had never followed or belonged to any Sûfî order. He indeed praised `Abd al-Qadir al-Jilâni and his book Futûh al-Ghayb. He also had good things to say about other Sufi scholars such as Abû `Abd al-Rahmân al-Sulamî, Sahl b. `Abd Allah al-Tustûr and al-Junayd. This only shows us how fair and objective he was in his approach. He used to be just and would accept the truth regardless of where it came from. Moreover, he would praise whoever said it. That does not in the remotest way imply that he followed the practices of the Qâdiriyyah.

Ibn Taymiyah explained some of the texts of Futûh al-Ghayb and found it to be a good book. [Majmû` Fatawâ Ibn Taymiyyah (10/456)]. At the same time he criticized the ways of the Qâdiriyyah and their habit of sitting alone, pretending to be with Allah and demonstrated how they were mistaken in this regard. He rejected their practice of innovating rites, remembrances, and prayers. This is clear to anyone who studies the works of Ibn Taymiyah.

For further reference, please refer to the following:

Majmû’ al-Rasa’l wal Masa’il, first edition (4/247-248).
Majmû’ Fatâwa Ibn Taymiyyah, first edition (22/525).
Al-Radd `Ala al-Muntiqiyyîn, Lahore edition (p 35).
Al-`Ubudiyyah, fifth edition (pp 73-82).
http://en.islamtoday.net/quesshow-13-982.htm

Allaah (swt) knows best.

I ask Allaah (swt) to guide us all to the Straight Path, to keep us firm and steadfast upon following the Sunnah upon the understanding of the Companions, to forgive us for our sins and to keep our hearts united, Aameen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!