/* */

PDA

View Full Version : pictures

Marina-Aisha
04-01-2012, 07:48 AM
I found this on a website I wasn't sure so I wondering if u point me the right direction :

The Muslim should not keep any pictures of animate beings in his house, because they will prevent the angels from entering. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/380).

Is this true? I have few pictures of my children do I take it down? Any advice would be great

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
04-01-2012, 07:51 AM
but your avatars!!!!

just kidding..i dont know.

Innocent Soul
04-01-2012, 01:08 PM
I heard in a lecture that we should keep all the childhood pics in album. They should not be visible to us without opening. :hmm:

format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
Is this true?
Sister, it is an authentic hadith of Sahih bukharri so you can't doubt it. There are many threads about this you can search.

Marina-Aisha
04-01-2012, 01:28 PM
oh i didnt even think to search lol thank you sister ill do that

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
peaceandlove
04-06-2012, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
I found this on a website I wasn't sure so I wondering if u point me the right direction :

The Muslim should not keep any pictures of animate beings in his house, because they will prevent the angels from entering. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/380).

Is this true? I have few pictures of my children do I take it down? Any advice would be great
Here is another opinion

Muslimman
04-08-2012, 04:39 AM
You can keep them in a place rather than showing them on walls. :)

Marina-Aisha
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
sorry to bump my thread but does this also include ur phones and computer?cos i have lots pics my children also i have picture of horses......so do i delete them too?

tango92
08-01-2012, 01:53 PM
sister according to my knowledge, "pictures" referred to in the hadith is talking about statues and not necessarily drawings - ive heard this from shaykh Khalid Fikry personally (he's sheikh in my area)

also i dont think photos falls under this category either, especially when you consider a mirror, or a pool of water technically has an "image" in it - it would be silly to call either of these haram

here is a source, although i may not agree with everything in it

http://www.correctislamicfaith.com/picturesinislam.htm

AabiruSabeel
08-01-2012, 09:14 PM
:sl:

From: http://www.daruliftaa.com/question?t...nID=q-16155977

The position of the vast majority of classical scholars is based on the fact that there is no distinction in the various Hadiths between a tangible and intangible picture. The Hadith indicating the permissibility of intangible and non-solid pictures refers to pictures of other than humans and animals. (See: al-Mugni, 7/7 & Takmila Fath al-Mulhim, 4/155)

Based on this, the reliable and mainstream opinion of the classical jurists is that picture-making is unlawful, whether by painting a picture on an object or making a sculpture. This is the position held by the three main Sunni Schools of Islamic law (i.e. Hanafi, Shafi’i & Hanbali) and also one of two positions related from Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him). It would be better if one referred to a Maliki Scholar to determine the relied upon (mufta bihi) position of that School. As such, one should avoid drawing/ painting pictures of humans and animals.

Photography

In view of the above-mentioned one position of Imam Malik, there is no question with regard to the permissibility of taking photographs, for according to that position, painting pictures of human or animal life on a paper or fabric is allowed, hence camera pictures would hold the same ruling.

However, in view of the mainstream and majority position of classical scholars, the question arises as to whether photos of humans and animals fall under the type of picture-making prohibited by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) in numerous Hadiths. Camera photos were not in existence when classical scholars were discussing the issue of picture-making, hence one will not find an express ruling regarding photography in their works. As such, it was left to contemporary scholars to determine whether photos held the same ruling as that of painting and drawing pictures.

Contemporary scholars have differed on this issue:

a) The position of the overwhelming majority of Indo-Pak and some Arab scholars is that photographs of human or animal life are not permissible for the very same reasons that paintings of these are not permissible. They state that the ruling on picture-making does not change by changing the tool with which the picture is produced. Whether an image is produced by painting it or using a camera, as long as it is an image of a human or animal, it will remain unlawful (haram).This is the position of Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani and most of my other teachers. It is, without doubt, the more precautious and arguably stronger opinion.

b) The second position on the issue, held by most Arab Scholars (from all four Madhabs) and some from the Indian Subcontinent, is that there is a difference between photos and the prohibited picture-making (taswir). Shaykh Muhammad Bakhit al-Muti’i of Egypt, a 2oth Century scholar known for his knowledge and piety, wrote a whole treatise titled al-Jawab al-Shafi fi Ibahat Surat al-Photography in support of this view of permissibility. His basic understanding is that the reason behind the prohibition of painting pictures (in the words of the Hadith) is challenging Allah in His Creating of living creatures. In camera photos, however, one does not produce an image through one’s own imagination; hence one is not challenging the Creating of Allah as such. It is merely a reflection of a living being already created by Allah Most High.

These are the two positions of contemporary scholars on the issue. There are great scholars of knowledge, wisdom and piety on both sides of the fence; hence, it would be wrong to criticize anyone for following any one of these positions. It is a matter of genuine and valid difference of opinion. It is not an issue where one may condemn another, and one must respect others’ right to follow their conscience.

As you have asked about my personal stance, firstly I am by no means in a position of having a ‘personal’ opinion as such. I follow my teachers and learn from them. I have teachers in the UK and the Subcontinent who prohibit photos, but I also have teachers in the Arab world permitting them. The position which I follow is that of my teachers who prohibit taking photos, for that is a more precautious and safe position. However, I have complete respect for the position (and practice) of those who permit taking photos.

And Allah knows best
[Mufti] Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa
Leicester , UK

Please see the link for the complete Fatwa: http://www.daruliftaa.com/question?t...nID=q-16155977

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!