/* */

PDA

View Full Version : the ruling on the niqab

Marina-Aisha
04-17-2012, 10:48 PM
salam peeps,
Recently ive been feeling that i might wear the niqab but im not sure..i just wanted to know what the ruling on the niqab.......if i do decide to wear it will i not get a job?because im changing my job soon..salam

edit: also im looking to do a carer job for the elderly is it permissable to see elderly men nakeness?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insanely.Krazii
04-17-2012, 10:55 PM
:sl:

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/2198

If you feel you're ready to do it then inshallah Allah will clear everything else and help you thru it =] Just have strong yaqeen (faith) in Allah.

Banu_Hashim
04-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Salaamu 'Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

First of all, I congratulate you in wanting to further your self in imaan may Allah reward you.

In regards to the legal position of the niqaab I think the 'Ulema differed as to whether it is wajib or not. Something being wajib/fardh means it is a sin to abstain from it. The following question was asked to Sh. Abu Eesa Niamatullah (UK), who I believe is a very gifted student of knowledge of our times, especially in fiqh.

The Question
Asalamualikum. Ustadh! I am really confused. Please guide me about the commandment of the Deen regarding covering of the face for women. Also, some who do put on their veil, take them off during Umra and Haj saying that no piece of cloth shall touch the face during Umra and Haj. Please remove this confusion too. JazakAllahKhair

The Answer
Wa 'alaykum's-salam wa rahmatullah

I hold it to be recommended for women to cover their face with the niqab, but if she is unable to do so then she is not sinful wallahu a'lam.

And yes, the face-cover should be removed during the actual actions of the Hajj and 'Umrah and then put back on after one finishes. Also, it should be removed for the prayer as well of course.

AE

As regards to your other question (acting as a carer), I would ask someone who has knowledge. Sh. Abu Eesa is on facebook, you can post your question to him; or you can search on Islam Q&A (www.islamqa.com) or ask some other qualified Imam. All the best.

Wa 'alaykum asalaam wa rahmatullaah.

Marina-Aisha
04-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Okay thank you I will, sorry could u post me or message me the Facebook page please, thanx. Thank you both for your advice I really am greatful :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ILuvAllah
04-18-2012, 06:03 AM
"And say to the Believing Women,to lower their gaze and guard their private parts. And they should not display their adornment save what is apparent therefrom. And they should place their covers over their bossoms. And they should not display their adornment except to their husbands or their fathers or the fathers of their husbands or their sons or the sons of their husbands or their brothers or their brother's sons or sister's sons` or their women or those whom their right hands posses or Those under their authority other than skillfull men or small children who are not aware of women's nakedness. And they should not strike their feet so as to make known what they hide of their adornment. O Believers turn you all together to Allah so that you may be successful."(24:31)
From the above verse the following points are derived: 1. Women have two types of "zeenah" i.e. beauty and adornment. (a) "ma zahara minha" What is already apparent from their adornment and beauty. (b) "ma yukhfaina min zinata hunne" That which is hidden from their adornment. 2. She is to cover her whole self publicly except those areas which are apparent from her adornment. These areas are the exposed areas which if covered will restrict daily work. (see 5:6). The other type of or adornment of a woman identified in the above verse is that which has been called as "ma yukhfaina min zinata hunne" That which is hidden from their adornment. This type of adornment is the one which becomes apparent when a woman strikes her feet or walks. Allah has ordered that this type of adornment be covered at all times. Thus the dress should be loose enough so as not to reveal the shape and features of the body which get
obvious when the woman strikes her feet or walks.
3. They are to place their covers or shrouds over their bosoms. In Sura 33:59 they are also ordered to bring over them their over garments while going in public:

"O Nabi! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers that they bring their over-garments nearer to themselves (while in public); this will be more proper, that they may be recognised, and thus they will not be given trouble; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful." (33:59)
In public she is to take "Jilbaab" or over garment over herself according to above verse.
4. With her bosoms covered well, and dress loose enough so as not to reveal her hidden adornment, she is to maintain this type of dress in public in front of all relations. The only exceptions are: (1) Husband
(2) Fathers (Includes Grandparents as well).
(3) The Fathers of their husbands.
(4) Their sons.
(5) The sons of their husbands.
(6) Their brothers.
(7) Their brother's sons.
(8) Their sister's sons`.
(9) Their women.
(10) Those whom their right hands posses.
(11) Those under their authority other than skillfull men.
(12) Small children who are not aware of women's nakedness.

ILuvAllah
04-18-2012, 06:27 AM
I think niqab is not recommended but it may be permissible cause when praying or doing tawaf , we are asked to remove the niqab. I did not see any women wearing niqab while performing omrah.

And Allah Knows best

It is better if you read the tafsir of Suran Nur about women's clothing, to understand better on this subject.

ILuvAllah
04-18-2012, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya

edit: also im looking to do a carer job for the elderly is it permissable to see elderly men nakeness?
No, dont do the carer work for men. you do care for women. I'm sure they would consider it for you.

Marina-Aisha
04-18-2012, 07:49 AM
That's strange cos I posted the same question different forum and some sister said she does the same thing which she sees men like that. Okay maybe I'll ask imam. Thanx for all your helpful information.

'Abd-al Latif
04-18-2012, 10:35 AM
:salamext:

I posted this video somewhere on one of my threads in the past, here it is again.

Part 1

Part 2

part 3

Insanely.Krazii
04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iluv♥Allah
I think niqab is not recommended but it may be permissible cause when praying or doing tawaf , we are asked to remove the niqab. I did not see any women wearing niqab while performing omrah.

I just did Umrah last week and majority of the women there had their faces covered. It's well known that you do not wear the "niqab" for Umrah or Hajj whereas you instead let your veil fall freely over your face. Niqab has the gap for the eyes but if you just take a length of your hijab and let it cover your face in one layer then it's permissible.

Question

During Umrah and Hajj is it allowed to wear "niqab" ?.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
It is forbidden for the woman to wear the niqab (veil) during the Hajj (pilgrimage) or the Umrah. Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “A woman in Ihram (in the state of ritual consecration during Hajj or Umrah) should not cover her face or put on gloves”. Narrated by al-Bukhari. If she needed to cover her face because of being among some non Mahram men, in this case, she could use the garment on her head to do so. Aisha (may Allah pleased with her) said: “Men on camels (or on foot) used to pass by us while we were with the Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) and in the state of Ihram. We would cover our faces with our gowns when they passed by us, and then uncover them again”. (Reported by Abu Dawood). And Allah knows best.

Q 490. What is the ruling on covering the face with a Niqab in Hajj, because I
have read a Hadith whose meaning is that a woman in the state of Ihram should
not cover her face, nor should she wear gloves. And I have read another
statement attributed to ‘Aishah, may Allah be pleased with her, when they were
in Hajj, in which she said: “When men passed by us, we used to cover our faces
and once we had passed by them, we would uncover our faces.” How may we
reconcile these two statements?

Shaykh Ibn al-'Uthaymeen answered:

quote:

The correct view in this is what is proven by
the Hadith, and that is the Prophet’s prohibition to a woman in the state of
Ihram from covering her face. So, the woman in Ihram is forbidden to wear a
Niqab in any circumstances, whether unrelated men pass by her or not:
accordingly, it is unlawful for a woman in a state of Ihram to wear a Niqab,
whether she is performing Hajj or ‘Umrah.

The Niqab is well-known to
women: It is to cover the face with a veil which has two holes for the
eyes. As for the Hadith of ‘Aishah, may Allah be pleased with her, it does not
contradict the prohibition of wearing a Niqab, because the hadith of ‘Aishah,
may Allah be pleased with her, it is not mentioned that the women wore the
Niqab, it only says that they covered their faces, without using a Niqab. This
is something which is essential if men pass by women, they must cover their
faces, because veiling the face from unrelated men is obligatory, so based upon
this, we say that wearing the Niqab is unlawful for a woman in the state of
Ihram in any circumstances; as for covering her face, It is better for her to
uncover her face, it is obligatory for her to cover it, however, she should do
so with something other than a Niqab.” [Fatawa Arkanul-Islam, page 731,
question 490]

Shaykh-ul-Islam
Ibn Taymiyyah said:

quote:

It is permissible for the woman who is in a
state of Ihraam to cover her face with an adjoining/alternative (cloth) other
than the niqaab and the burqa’. [Ikhtiyaaraat al-Fiqhiyyah min Fataawaa Shaikh
ul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah page 117]

Banu_Hashim
04-18-2012, 05:02 PM
^JazaakAllahu Khayran. There is also an interesting debate on the issue below. When determining an issue like this there so many evidences which come into play and knowledge of usool al-fiqh is needed. I think we can all agree that it is highly recommended at the very least.

roohani.doctor
04-18-2012, 06:49 PM
why is a woman not allowed to wear niqab while in hajj? I have read the hadith etc but I was wondering what the reasons are?

Marina-Aisha
04-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanx everyone
Any question is okay to become a carer for elderly? Is okay to see elderly women naked I'm sorry I'm totally getting confused.

'Abd-al Latif
04-18-2012, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iluv♥Allah

And Allah Knows best

It is better if you read the tafsir of Suran Nur about women's clothing, to understand better on this subject.
Can you prove from hadeeth that the niqab is not recommended? Taking it off during hajj or 'umrah is not evidence that it is not recommended; the Messenger's wives use to wear niqab but only took it off during hajj or 'umrah and would cover their faces temporarily when men would approach them and take it back off once they passed. Women can still cover their faces during hajj or 'umrah but under the condition that their niqab is not tailor fitted.

'Abd-al Latif
04-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanx everyone
Any question is okay to become a carer for elderly? Is okay to see elderly women naked I'm sorry I'm totally getting confused.
It is OK to be a carer for an elderly woman but it is not permissible for you to see another woman naked, even if she is old.

Marina-Aisha
04-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Omg r u serious? Why? Can u quote me some Hadith or Quran quotes.

Insanely.Krazii
04-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Omg r u serious? Why? Can u quote me some Hadith or Quran quotes.
What is established among the fuqaha’ is that the ‘awrah of a woman with another woman is the area between the navel and the knee, whether the woman is her mother or sister or is not her mahram. It is not permissible for a woman to look at the area between the navel and the knee of another woman, except in cases of necessity such as medical treatment and the like.
This does not mean that a woman may sit among other women with all of her body uncovered except the area between the navel and the knee. No one does that except women who are promiscuous and negiligent, or immoral and evildoers. The words of the scholars, “The ‘awrah is the area between the navel and the knee” should not be misunderstood, because this does not mean that this is how women should always dress and show themselves among their sisters and friends. No wise person would accept that and it is not what the fitrah (sound human nature) calls for.
Rather the way a woman should dress among other women is in clothes that cover properly and express her modesty and dignity. She should not show anything except that which appears when she is working and serving others, such as the head, neck, forearms and feet, as we have mentioned when discussing mahrams above.
The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas has explained what a woman is not permitted to uncover in front of her mahrams and other women. We have quoted this in the answer to question no. 34745.
We ask Allaah to guide us and you.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

~Link: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/82994

Hope I helped!

ILuvAllah
04-18-2012, 10:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Can you prove from hadeeth that the niqab is not recommended? Taking it off during hajj or 'umrah is not evidence that it is not recommended; the Messenger's wives use to wear niqab but only took it off during hajj or 'umrah and would cover their faces temporarily when men would approach them and take it back off once they passed. Women can still cover their faces during hajj or 'umrah but under the condition that their niqab is not tailor fitted.
I dont have the proof, thats why I told her to research herself on the subject. I have heard from my aunt that it was only recommended for the wives of the Prophet (pbuh). I'm not sure how true that is cause I have not researched on it any further. I'm not discouraging her to wear the niqab. Please dont misunderstand my language.

ILuvAllah
04-18-2012, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insanely.Krazii
What is established among the fuqaha’ is that the ‘awrah of a woman with another woman is the area between the navel and the knee, whether the woman is her mother or sister or is not her mahram. It is not permissible for a woman to look at the area between the navel and the knee of another woman, except in cases of necessity such as medical treatment and the like.
This does not mean that a woman may sit among other women with all of her body uncovered except the area between the navel and the knee. No one does that except women who are promiscuous and negiligent, or immoral and evildoers. The words of the scholars, “The ‘awrah is the area between the navel and the knee” should not be misunderstood, because this does not mean that this is how women should always dress and show themselves among their sisters and friends. No wise person would accept that and it is not what the fitrah (sound human nature) calls for.
Rather the way a woman should dress among other women is in clothes that cover properly and express her modesty and dignity. She should not show anything except that which appears when she is working and serving others, such as the head, neck, forearms and feet, as we have mentioned when discussing mahrams above.
The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas has explained what a woman is not permitted to uncover in front of her mahrams and other women. We have quoted this in the answer to question no. 34745.
We ask Allaah to guide us and you.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

~Link: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/82994

Hope I helped!

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of it either.

TrueStranger
04-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Scholars have differing opinions when it comes to the Niqab. Some scholars are of the opinion that it is Sunnah (Voluntary act), while another group of scholars are of the view that it is wajib (Obligatory). Sisters should look at both sides and decide for themselves which scholarly opinion they personally agrees with.

As for taking care of the elderly, you will receive different fatwas when it comes to this issue. Just remember that a fatwa is optional for the individual to follow or not, it is not binding. So keep your situation and circumstance in mind when agreeing with one fatwa or another.

I think the elderly are dependent on you when it comes to certain private matters of their life. You're a caregiver, and hopefully your intentions are solely to help them. From my personal perspective it's much better to work with elderly women than men, even if you assume that elderly men might be asexual. I personally have no idea what it means when the Quran mentions men who have no physical desire (I thought it meant old men or those who are not of sane mind. Allah knows best) or what their right hands possess.

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed. (24:31)

'Abd-al Latif
04-19-2012, 09:12 AM

I don't know if you know the terms used but here is a list of them used in this thread:

Fuqaha = Plural for jurists, specifically the scholars in the field of Islamic jurisprudence;
'awrah = the part of the body considered the private parts of a man or woman Islamically;
Fatwa = Islamic verdict;

Just remember that a fatwa is optional for the individual to follow or not, it is not binding. So keep your situation and circumstance in mind when agreeing with one fatwa or another.
It is only optional to follow if it is a personal opinion, but if it is in accordance with the Qur'an and Sunnah that we must follow it. Even if we were to follow the personal opinion of a scholar than we would be doing something good because scolars are the inheritors of the Prophets, are furtherest to giving weight to their own opinion over the Qur'an and Sunnah and they are closest to that which is correct.

Marina-Aisha
04-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Thank you cos I didn't know those phases, maybe I should think bout something else..

'Abd-al Latif
04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Thank you cos I didn't know those phases, maybe I should think bout something else..
No problem. Here are some more which I missed:

Ustadh = teacher;
fard = Obligatory;
wajid = Compulsary (the words fard and wajib are interchangeable in Arabic);
yaqeen = certainty;
zeena = beauty/adornment;
nabi = Prophet;
tawaaf = circumambulation around the Ka'ba in Makkah;
Umrah = Lesser pilgrimage that can be done at any time of the year;
Hajj = Pilgrimage and fifth pillar of Islam, can only be done in a specified time in the Islamic calendar;
mahram = male relative of her family whom a woman is permanently forbidden to marry, such as her brother, father, grandfather etc;
fitrah = natural/innate disposition, nature, instinct etc;

purple
04-19-2012, 10:25 AM

If elderly women can’t wash herself because of her disability, no one should help her? What you posted also suggest her own relative can’t help her.

So what do you suggest for elderly lady and man to do? Leave that area unclean and don’t wash at all? What about those that are bed bound? Leave them unwashed too? Some cant even go to the toilet without help.

It doesn’t have to be for medical necessities or treatment. It is simply due to disability especially when you are elderly. I suppose we should let them rot away because we can’t see the awrah. And some elderly have no relative (her husband died and has no children or is neglected by her family for instance) whatsoever; I suppose they should never wash again.

Care workers don’t help those that can themselves and most who can wash themselves would prefer to do it themselves. They help elderly and disabled people that cannot wash themselves either because they are too weak or physical disability caused by stroke for example.

I can’t believe our religion would make life difficult for elderly and disabled people. Sometimes, I think our scholar live in a cloud and not in the real world. People need help in washing and dressing not for medical treatment but as part of everday tasks they cannot do themselves. Why do people here need to make life into black and white issue and not see the world as it is?

'Abd-al Latif
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by purple
If elderly women can’t wash herself because of her disability, no one should help her? What you posted also suggest her own relative can’t help her.

So what do you suggest for elderly lady and man to do? Leave that area unclean and don’t wash at all? What about those that are bed bound? Leave them unwashed too? Some cant even go to the toilet without help.

It doesn’t have to be for medical necessities or treatment. It is simply due to disability especially when you are elderly. I suppose we should let them rot away because we can’t see the awrah. And some elderly have no relative (her husband died and has no children or is neglected by her family for instance) whatsoever; I suppose they should never wash again.

Care workers don’t help those that can themselves and most who can wash themselves would prefer to do it themselves. They help elderly and disabled people that cannot wash themselves either because they are too weak or physical disability caused by stroke for example.

I can’t believe our religion would make life difficult for elderly and disabled people. Sometimes, I think our scholar live in a cloud and not in the real world. People need help in washing and dressing not for medical treatment but as part of everday tasks they cannot do themselves. Why do people here need to make life into black and white issue and not see the world as it is?
I didn't suggest anything except for the words that I wrote. If you noticed, I didn't mention any exceptions either but an absence of its mention does not mean they do not exist. But yeah I suppose you're right, leaving the elderly to care for themselves is probably what I suggested :mmokay:.

The scholars are much more wiser then you've given them credit for. The rulings on websites are viewed by a wide audience, namely by one and all around the world, so their responses and wording has to be very careful so as not to mislead anyone. They have to make issues black and white and not confuse the lay man because how else do you expect him to be practical about it? Is confusing him with every last opinion the right advice? As for someone asking a specific question about helping the elderly, I cannot see them refusing it except after certain conditions are met. It is better for a scholar to speak about such things to a smaller audience, like his local community for example, then to allow the whole world to cut-and-paste one ruling to every situation.

I wish you would ask for a clarification than jumping to an argument all the time. It would create a really pleasant atmosphere.

purple
04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
I didn't suggest anything except for the words that I wrote. If you noticed, I didn't mention any exceptions either but an absence of its mention does not mean they do not exist. But yeah I suppose you're right, leaving the elderly to care for themselves is probably what I suggested :mmokay:.

The scholars are much more wiser then you've given them credit for. The rulings on websites are viewed by a wide audience, namely by one and all around the world, so their responses and wording has to be very careful so as not to mislead anyone. They have to make issues black and white and not confuse the lay man because how else do you expect him to be practical about it? Is confusing him with every last opinion the right advice? As for someone asking a specific question about helping the elderly, I cannot see them refusing it except after certain conditions are met. It is better for a scholar to speak about such things to a smaller audience, like his local community for example, then to allow the whole world to cut-and-paste one ruling to every situation.

I wish you would ask for a clarification than jumping to an argument all the time. It would create a really pleasant atmosphere.
Most people don’t into their community to ask such question and plus the scholar here did not say to seek advise of local scholar did they?

So a daughter and son will see this ruling and come into their own conclusion. And leave their elderly parent to clean after themselves. And what about those that have no one?

The scholar here did not take wider issue or the fact that I said this:

Care worker dont do their job for fun and they dont help those that can help themselves. So, no the scholar you've posted is not smart at all.

Below I made very valid point! If the sister is thinking of becoming a care woker just to "care" which tasks other than washing and dressing then she should not bother.
This was not a rant
It doesn’t even have to be physical disability. I used to take care for 12 years old that had severe learning disability. She was not even capable mentally to get dressed and wash. She was violent toward her mother. There was no choice but to strip her and wash her ourselves. Her mother couldn’t do it on her own because the 12 years old was huge (taller and bigger than her mother and me) and aggressive. There was no choice but her mother and I to see her awrah. She used to urinate herself in the sofa. Her mother and I had to clean her. So, in this scenario, it is not a medical treatment. And what I said above goes for significant proportion of elderly and disabled people.

No point in working as a carer for elderly or disabled woman if you are not prepared to assist in dressing and washing or even changing their pad. What happens if she urinates or defecates herself? What will you do?

“Sorry Mrs whomever I can’t deal with that and I am just here to give tea and lunch”

And then you will leave her in her own mess. Don’t take up the job as care worker if you are not prepared to do the job.

'Abd-al Latif
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Most people don’t into their community to ask such question and plus the scholar here did not say to seek advise of local scholar did they?

So a daughter and son will see this ruling and come into their own conclusion. And leave their elderly parent to clean after themselves. And what about those that have no one?

The scholar here did not take wider issue or the fact that I said this:

Care worker dont do their job for fun and they dont help those that can help themselves. So, no the scholar you've posted is not smart at all.
إِنَّمَا يَخْشَى اللَّهَ مِنْ عِبَادِهِ الْعُلَمَاءُ
It is only those who have knowledge among His servants that fear Allah. (Quran: Fatir 35:28)

I advise you to repent based upon this verse.

Islam does not discourage helping the elderly, the Messenger :saws1: said that the one who does not show kindness to the one with grey hair (i.e. the old) and to the young is not one of us (i.e the Muslims). It is encouraged for Muslims to be kind, respectful and caring towards the old, even if that means that one should take care of the elderly as an occupation. If taking care of them means seeing their 'awrah because they cannot maintain themselves and require assistance then this still allowed under the condition that the Muslim doing it is trustworthy, is of the same gender and maintains the dignity of the one he is helping (among other conditions).

I nor the shaykh from islamqa said anywhere that helping the elderly is not allowed, we mentioned the same general ruling that seeing the 'awrah of another person isn't permissible for anyone to see. I specifically also mentioned in my last post that I did not mention any exceptions. Let me mention them now: helping an elderly person, while certain conditions are met, is allowed and permissible.

To say everything you have said so far is your false assumption and judgement.

I strongly advise you not to argue so much. Nothing will misguide you as much as argumentation.

purple
04-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Islam does not discourage helping the elderly, the Messenger :saws1: said that the one who does not show kindness to the one with grey hair (i.e. the old) and to the young is not one of us (i.e the Muslims). It is encouraged for Muslims to be kind, respectful and caring towards the old, even if that means that one should take care of the elderly as an occupation. If taking care of them means seeing their 'awrah because they cannot maintain themselves and require assistance then this still allowed under the condition that the Muslim doing it is trustworthy, is of the same gender and maintains the dignity of the one he is helping (among other conditions).

I nor the shaykh from islamqa said anywhere that helping the elderly is not allowed, we mentioned the same general ruling that seeing the 'awrah of another person isn't permissible for anyone to see. I specifically also mentioned in my last post that I did not mention any exceptions. Let me mention them now: helping an elderly person, while certain conditions are met, is allowed and permissible.

To say everything you have said so far is your false assumption and judgement.
You don’t get where I cam coming from. More and more people are taking such ruling as black and white in their own lives.

I have problem with them not mentioning exceptions. You are posting such ruling to someone who wants to take care of elderly women. I will say this again, care workers don’t take care of those that can care for themselves. They take care of those that can’t do the task themselves. She will help elderly women that cannot wash or dress themselves. You then posted the ruling and didn’t make an exception that these women she intends to assist cannot wash or dress themselves.

You didn’t make exception here at all. If everything Ive said is false or judgement, then why did you post the ruling here to a sister that want to do this as an occupation?

'Abd-al Latif
04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
You don’t get where I cam coming from. More and more people are taking such ruling as black and white in their own lives.

I have problem with them not mentioning exceptions. You are posting such ruling to someone who wants to take care of elderly women. I will say this again, care workers don’t take care of those that can care for themselves. They take care of those that can’t do the task themselves. She will help elderly women that cannot wash or dress themselves. You then posted the ruling and didn’t make an exception that these women she intends to assist cannot wash or dress themselves.

You didn’t make exception here at all. If everything Ive said is false or judgement, then why did you post the ruling here to a sister that want to do this as an occupation?

I have a reason for not mentioning the exceptions. Would you like to initiate an argument about that too?

purple
04-19-2012, 11:34 AM
As for the poster,

there are two section you can work in:

Nursing homes

Or in their own homes.

Nursing homes, you have no choice but to take care of men. So rule that one out.

Second option, you can choose to take care of woman. But don’t mention this straight away when they interview you. After they accept you, you tell them that you want to take care of women only. And you can also choose what time you start and finish. It is pretty flexible occupation. You can start at 1pm and finish 5pm if you want to. Warning to you, their pay are low and you will usually have half an hour for each clients expect for those that need more time. They will pay for half of hourly rate for the half an hour service. And they don’t pay for travel expenses. And there risk of injury especially back problem. Learn manual handling correctly and the chances of back pain and injury is significantly less. You will need a lot of energy and strength. And be polite and don’t act like you just doing a job. Look at it from their perspective; to most of them they have lost their dignity. You will get tearful clients, angry clients, aggressive clients, and manipulative clients. You will also have to deal with their relatives a lot, some are overprotected. Some would want to take care of their relative themselves but cant due to several factors like children of their own, they work otherwise they are not entitled to benefits, they are elderly themselves or have disability too etc. So don’t judge them when they are angry at you. They just want the best for their relatives. This is an advice, in case you choose to work as care worker.

ژاله
04-19-2012, 11:38 AM

ژاله
04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
I have a reason for not mentioning the exceptions. Would you like to initiate an argument about that too?
^ OP's question was clearly about the 'exceptions'. If you have reasons not to mention them, then you might as well not say anything at all. Because if you just mention the general ruling, and not the exceptions, (especially when the question is about exceptional situations), it gives the impression that either you don't appreciate the problem fully or you are suggesting to leave the disabled people 'in their mess'. Hence the arguments.

Hamza Asadullah
04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
salam peeps,
Recently ive been feeling that i might wear the niqab but im not sure..i just wanted to know what the ruling on the niqab.......if i do decide to wear it will i not get a job?because im changing my job soon..salam

Asalaamu alaikum my sister. Regarding the Niqaab then the four imaams, tabi'een tabi'een tabi'een and the majority of scholars of the past and present have ruled it obligatory particularly when there is fear of fitnah. Another valid opinion is that it is not obligatory but optional but at the same time Mustahab (recommended) .

I have asked a scholar for you regarding your query about having to see the elderly naked in your job when looking after them and he said that it is only permissable if it cannot be avoided but she should still try her best not to gaze upon the nakedness and also try to find someone of same gender for the elderly man but if it is not avoidable then it is permissable out of necessity.

And Allah knows best in all matters

purple
04-19-2012, 11:54 AM
^Bro Hamza read my last post. She can avoid elderly men if she choose to take the second option I've mentioned.

Hamza Asadullah
04-19-2012, 12:12 PM
^Bro Hamza read my last post. She can avoid elderly men if she choose to take the second option I've mentioned.
Asalaamu alaikum then if she can avoid it by taking the second option then she should take it.

TrueStranger
04-19-2012, 07:19 PM

It is only optional to follow if it is a personal opinion, but if it is in accordance with the Qur'an and Sunnah that we must follow it. Even if we were to follow the personal opinion of a scholar than we would be doing something good because scolars are the inheritors of the Prophets, are furtherest to giving weight to their own opinion over the Qur'an and Sunnah and they are closest to that which is correct.
A fatwa is not a personal opinion, but a scholarly opinion that carries more weight. They're required to issue a fatwa after carefully analyzing religious evidence that might oppose or support a particular matter. However, a Fatwa is not binding, but a qada is. Whether one decides to follow a particular Fatwa or not is completely their choice. I agree, that it's wise to heed the scholarly opinions of our scholars, but some of them do differ and represent different circumstance and situations that certain individuals are facing.

So, yes, each individual should have a good understanding of their own situation and be informed about various fatwas that are issued by our scholars.

:wa:

$tranger
04-19-2012, 07:31 PM
A Scholar once said

if you believe yourself to be 'beautiful' you must wear the niqaab... :x

Marina-Aisha
04-19-2012, 07:52 PM
^^^ all that's kinda beautiful

To everyone thank you for your help, I've got interview tomorrow so hopefully I'll get it, as to seeing there bodies Im just gonna request just to work with women. I don't want to get a job and lie or on false pretenses. All I want is to help people do something meaningful.

ILuvAllah
04-19-2012, 08:22 PM

'Abd-al Latif
04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by violette
^ OP's question was clearly about the 'exceptions'. If you have reasons not to mention them, then you might as well not say anything at all. Because if you just mention the general ruling, and not the exceptions, (especially when the question is about exceptional situations), it gives the impression that either you don't appreciate the problem fully or you are suggesting to leave the disabled people 'in their mess'. Hence the arguments.
And this:

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Asalaamu alaikum then if she can avoid it by taking the second option then she should take it.

Is why I left out the exceptions. The exception means where there is no other alternative. That is not what the original poster asked for. I had said specifically on an earlier post that I intend and suggest no more than what I have said. Hence, I'm trying to understand the cause of the argumentations?

Hamza Asadullah
04-20-2012, 12:59 AM
There is no arguments just maybe slight misunderstandings as can happen on a text based forum. Hope the sisters questions have bee answered.

ardianto
04-20-2012, 07:10 AM

There are many hospitals that established by Muslim organizations in my country. They have males and females nurses. One of their duties is maintain the patients cleanliness. Every morning and afternoon they walk from a room to another room, bring basin of water. Patients who can bathe themselves, bathe themselves. But for patients who are too weak to bathe themselves, those nurses will bathe them. Of course, male by male, female by female. Those nurses cannot avoid to see the patient awrah although they see only when necessary.

So, is there no exception to see the awrah in this matter?

In fact, ulama in my place do not forbid those nurses to see naked patients in situation when those nurses cannot avoid it. Remember, these hospitals are owned by Muslim organizations that run by ulama.

Marina-Aisha
04-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh okay thank you, I was very worried but I think it be okay and not every patient is gonna be like that.

fahim kamran
04-26-2012, 04:36 AM
ALLAH Almighty ordered women to wear, when he said what means:
"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands fathers, or their sons or their husbands sons, or their brothers or their brothers sons or sisters sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto ALLAH together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed." (An-Nur 24:31)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!